General Ledger Data Collection Training
General Access Pre-Requisites
- Knowledge of the source data. At a minimum, before you use the General Ledger
data in the Warehouse, you need to have completed Chart of Accounts training.
For information on how to obtain this training, see the Financial Training
Department's course descriptions. For more detailed
information, see General Ledger Collection Data Security.
- BEN Financials ID. It is preferred that you have a BEN Financials ID. You can
ID after completing BEN Financials training. The request form is available
from this page.
- Data Warehouse access request form. Before you can access the
General Ledger data collection, you must submit a Data
Warehouse access request form.
- Database concepts. You should understand database terms and concepts
such as primary keys, joins, and null values. If you need help with these
terms, see the document Relational Database
- Ability to use a query tool. ISC provides support to users accessing
the Data Warehouse using Business Objects as the query tool. On campus classes in Business Objects are scheduled in Knowledge Link.
Self-Serve, Online Training Options
Knowledge Link: Introduction to the General Ledger Data Collection and Using the FINQUERY Universe at Penn
This course will orient you to GL data, its organization, and refresh cycle as well as help you to use SAP
BusinessObjects (InfoView & Webi) to
- Modify the available corporate (or "canned") reports by correctly using filters and prompts
- Create your own queries using variables, filters, etc. to control the data
- Select the correct balances or journal detail tables (classes) and objects (data elements) to include
in your own specific queries
After taking this course, you will also know where to turn for answers and additional help with the
General Ledger Data Collection.
Website: General Ledger Tutorial
The lessons in this tutorial are arranged sequentially. However, if you have experience in writing and
executing queries, select the lessons you need to know more about. If you do not have experience in writing and
executing queries, read the lessons in the order in which they are listed. To help retain what you've learned,
complete the activities for each lesson.
Classroom Activities/Office Hours
Occasionally classroom activities and 'office hours' concerning the GL data collection will be announced and
offered. It is recommended to take advantage of the online training opportunities since they are always available at