BusinessObjects and QlikView are complementary tools for data analysis at Penn. In general, BusinessObjects is the preferred tool for creating and editing queries for all authorized users of the Warehouse data collections; QlikView is better for analyses where visualization and drill-down are desired/appropriate.
BusinessObjects Web Intelligence (Webi) and InfoView XI3
BusinessObjects is the primary supported query tool used to provide access
to the Data Warehouse, which resides on an Oracle database server.
Web Intelligence (Webi) is SAP/BusinessObjects' strategic web-based tool for ad hoc analysis, replacing the Desktop Intelligence (Deski) software that has been in use at Penn for many years. Webi provides extensive query construction and report formatting capabilities, all in a web environment and without the need for desktop client software.
InfoView is the portal to all BusinessObjects reports, including:
- the individual's personal collection of queries and reports, stored in their My Favorites area on the server
- the Public Folders which contain all reports shared by groups of people
- the gateway to Web Intelligence, either by choosing the option to edit an existing Webi report, or selecting New, and then Web Intelligence Document from one of the dropdowns in the toolbar.
Supported browsers (and java versions) for InfoView and Webi XI3 SP5 FP3 include (as of February 2013):
- Windows XPsp3 or Windows7:
- Firefox 3.6+ (with Sun 1.5.0_xx through Sun 1.7.0_xx)
- IE 6.0 SP3 (with Sun 1.5.0_xx or Sun 1.6.0_02+)
- IE 7.0 through IE9.0 (with Sun 1.5.0_xx through or 1.7.0_xx)
- Mac OS X:
- Safari 5 or 6 (with Apple 1.6.0_xx) *
* Although not on the supported list, SP5 also has been successfully tested at Penn using Firefox 11 on Mac, patched with Java for OS X Lion 2012-002
QlikView facilitates the visualization of data analysis. It is user friendly and provides fast in-memory analysis capabilities by dynamically integrating and presenting data from multiple data sources.
The QlikView tool complements BusinessObjects Webi/InfoView with the following advantages:
- Guided data analysis with easy interactivity for end users
- Dashboard capabilities for easy visual understanding of data analysis such as trending
- Incorporate data sources in addition to the Data Warehouse such as spreadsheets or other databases
For an introduction to QlikView, see the Tips & How To page.
Contact Data Administration for licensing information.
Other Query Tools
users may also employ other tools, such as Oracle's SQL*Plus, TOAD, Microsoft Access or Excel with Microsoft Query and FileMaker Pro,
they have received access to a data collection. Users of these
and other tools are strongly advised to consult Data Administration before
exploring these options for advice on connecting to the Warehouse, joining
tables, and efficient querying.