Tracks administrative activities for a given proposal/award funding
cycle for a sponsored
project, as entered on the PennERA Proposal
Tracking module's Activity Log screen by the staff of the Office of Research
Services (ORS). Data is available for activities with an effective date of
Jan. 22, 2008 and thereafter. ORS logs activities for three areas: (1) accounts
receivable and collections, (2)
(3) pre-award contract negotiations concerning sponsored research agreements (SRAs), clinical trial agreements (CTAs), and subcontracts for all instrument types. The PENNERA_PROPOSAL_ACTIVITY table includes the standard description for the activity, comments about the activity, the dates when the activity took place and when it was added to the Activity Log, and the Penn ID of the person who logged the activity. A proposal may have more than one record for a given activity and/or date.
- Reporting on the activity history for one or more specified proposals.
- Listing proposals that have one or more specified activities.
- Listing proposals with activities that occurred on, or were logged on,
a specified date.
||Indexed Data Elements
- There may be more than one administrative activity per proposal
(INSTITUTION_NO), per EFFECTIVE_DATE or DATE_ENTERED, per PROPOSAL_ACTIVITY.
More than one activity may have occurred on a given day. Also, because the
Proposal Tracking Activity Log allows records to be entered but not updated,
more than one PENNERA_PROPOSAL_ACTIVITY record, each with different comments.
PROPOSAL_ACTIVITY_ID is used to uniquely identify a PENNERA_PROPOSAL_ACTIVITY
- The PROPOSAL_ACTIVITY is the standard description
for the activity, which may be in upper case or in mixed case.
- The description begins with one of the following abbreviations (in
upper case) to indicate the activity area:
If, for example, you wish to retrieve information
only on accounts receivable and collections, you could set
a condition specifying PROPOSAL_ACTIVITY LIKE
'AR%'. (Business Objects users would use the Matches Pattern
operator instead of LIKE.)
- AR (accounts receivable
- MTA (material transfer agreements)
- PSC (PreAward-SRA(sponsored research agreements)-CTA(clinical trial agreements)) Note: this area also includes subcontracts for all instrument types. See also PENNERA_PROPOSAL.INSTRUMENT_TYPE.
- In rare cases, due to a data entry error, the PennERA Proposal
Tracking module's Activity Log screen may show an empty field (null value)
for the standard description for the activity. That activity's PROPOSAL_ACTIVITY
would be '.' in the Data Warehouse.
- EFFECTIVE_DATE is the date the
activity occurred. DATE_ENTERED is the date the activity was logged.
The value of these data elements includes
not only the date, but also the time, although Business Objects displays
date by default
in reports. For example, Business Objects users who set a condition
on EFFECTIVE_DATE and type a date
in the condition will find that Business Objects supplies 12:00:00
AM as the time. This does not matter if the value of EFFECTIVE_DATE does
not include the time, but if it does, that time is almost
never 12:00:00 AM. Because
often not work as expected, use BETWEEN instead. For example, rather
than setting the condition EFFECTIVE_DATE Equal to 1/22/2008, set
the condition EFFECTIVE_DATE
Between 1/22/2008 and 1/23/2008.
- PENNERA_PROPOSAL_ACTIVITY includes three different identifiers for a proposal:
INSTITUTION_NO, PROJID, and PROP_NO. INSTITUTION_NO is the unique identification
number assigned to the proposal by the University, and it is the proposal
identifier that is recommended for use in reporting and in joining PennERA
Proposals tables. PROJID and PROP_NO are used internally by PennERA, to identify
the proposal within the system.
- Although the PENNERA_PROPOSAL_ACTIVITY table may be joined to any of the
related tables listed above, it is recommended that it be joined only to
PENNERA_PROPOSAL and PENNERA_PEOPLE.
The Proposal Tracking module of PennERA, used at Penn since October 14,
2003 to track information on proposed and awarded
PennERA is the University's electronic research administration
system, providing support to faculty and research administrators
for all sponsored project activity at the University of Pennsylvania.
Questions about this page? Email us at email@example.com