Email Services - Frequently Asked Questions:
Search the FAQ:
How can I forward my Exchange mail to an external account?
There are two ways to forward mail from your Exchange account to and external email address, forwards and redirects. In your external account, forwarded mail will appear to be from email@example.com, rather than from the original sender. Redirected mail will retain the original sender information but will not retain other recipients the email was sent to, copied or blind-copied. Both forwards and redirects are set up in Outlook via rules.
To create a rule to redirect or forward mail using OUTLOOK:
- Go to Tools -> Rules and Alerts -> New Rule
- Select Start from a blank rule and Check messages when they arrive. Click Next.
- When asked "Which condition(s) do you want to check?", click Next.
- You will get a warning, "This rule will be applied to every message you receive." Click Yes.
- When asked "What do you want to do with the message?" select one of:
depending on your needs.
- forward it to people or distribution list
- forward it to people or distribution list as an attachment
- redirect it to people or distribution list
- In the Step 2: Edit the rule description box, click people or distribution list.
- In the Rule Address window, in the To field, type the email address you would like your Exchange mail forwarded or redirected to, and click OK.
- Click Next.
- Select any restrictions you would like, and click Next.
- In the Step 1: Specify a name for this rule field, enter a name for the rule.
- Select Turn on this rule, and click Finish.
- Click OK in the original Rules and Alerts window.
To create a rule to redirect or forward mail using Outlook Web Access:
- Login to Outlook Web Access Premium using Internet Explorer.
- Click the Options button, in the top right corner.
- Click Rules on the left, under Options
- Click the New Rule drop-down menu and choose Create a new rule for arriving messages.
- On the next window, click Delete Disabled Rules.
- Click Forward or redirect, and check:
depending on your needs.
- forward the message to people or distribution list
- forward the message to people or distribution list as an attachment
- redirect the message to people or distribution list
- Click people or distribution lists to the left.
- In the To field near the bottom, type the email address you would like your Exchange mail forwarded or redirected to, and click OK.
- Click Save.