Email Services - Frequently Asked Questions:
Search the FAQ:
What is my login name and email address?
Penn's centrally operated email servers are PennNames compliant servers so your login name (also known as a "username") will be the same as your PennName (your unique University username) upon which your PennKey is based.
While you do not need to have a PennName before creating a new account on our email servers, you do need to first have a record in PennCommunity, the central University data store. User records are loaded into PennCommunity by:
- Registrar load of students
- Payroll load of employees
- UPHS load of employees
- Manual submission of a Guest record by your department's PennCommunity administrator
Your email address is your login name combined with your domain name joined with the @ ("at") symbol. Since there are multiple domains hosted on these email servers, you may have a number of possible email addresses.
Following are recommendations that ISC makes for which email address
you should use.
Please check with your LSP or account administrator to see which email address is preferred by your department.
It is most important that your email address match expectations of other users
on the system. If another user is trying to find calendar information for you, he/she may not be able to find it if you are listed in the Global Address List (GAL) as email@example.com and your correspondent is looking for info for firstname.lastname@example.org.
|School of Medicine
|Graduate School of Education
|Social Policy & Practice
|Environmental Health & Radiation Safety
|Information Systems & Computing
|Individuals in all other departments
|Group accounts in all other departments
Consider our Forward-only service if:
- If your organization has its own domain that is being supported for
email, please use that address for your email as shown above.
Individuals and group accounts can use the organization's domain.
In addition to the email address based on your department's domain, individuals can also use email@example.com. We will also continue to support firstname.lastname@example.org for accounts that were created prior to 2008.
|LSPs: If you wish to use your own domain for email addresses, you must first register a third-level domain name. Once you have a registered domain name and wish us to support your domain name for addressing, please contact the ProDesk.
- If your department does not have its own domain, individuals can use
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org but group accounts must use email@example.com. In compliance with the NPC policy on the use of the upenn.edu namespace, group accounts do not get a upenn.edu address.
- While the machine names zimbra.upenn.edu and exchange.upenn.edu could be used for your email address, we discourage using these domains for your advertised email address. These names reflect the underlying software used for the email services and they would change if we change our software.
- We will continue to support dolphin.upenn.edu for students who had accounts on our systems prior to 2008 but moving forward we strongly suggest that you use the domain for your school. dolphin.upenn.edu is likely to be retired at some future date. We will give one year's notice before discontinuing the name.
Instructions for configuring supported Zimbra email clients
- You are not a customer of one of the centrally operated email servers but wish to have an address in the upenn.edu domain. Please note that only email addresses based on PennKeys can be added to the upenn.edu domain.
- You are a customer of one of the centrally operated email servers but wish an address that is not based on an existing email account.
Instructions for configuring supported Exchange email clients
Information Systems and Computing, University of Pennsylvania