Email Services - Frequently Asked Questions:
Search the FAQ:
What clients are supported by Zimbra?
You can use any of the campus supported email clients or you can use the Zimbra Web Client (ZWC) to access your Zimbra mail. If using the ZWC, you can use any of the campus supported web browsers. The ZWC offers three views:
You can select the view you would like to use when you log in.
- Advanced - the advanced Ajax view. This is the default view.
- Standard - a simpler interface option to be used with older
- Mobile - a highly simplified interface for use with very small displays, such as the iPhone.
Instructions for configuring supported Email Clients
Which do I choose: IMAP or POP?
IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) and POP (Post Office Protocol) are protocols that email clients use to communicate with email servers.
The Zimbra mail server and the clients listed above support both of these protocols, and you will usually be asked which you would like to use while
you are setting up an account in an email client.
- IMAP is generally used to view messages while leaving them on the mail server. This is a good option if you would like to be able to view your email
from clients on multiple computers or through the ZWC in addition to a mail client. You will need to delete old messages periodically to stay under your quota (see What is my quota and how do I check my disk usage?).
- POP usually downloads messages to the user's computer, then deletes them from the server. (Some clients allow you to specify a duration of time to leave them on the server before deleting them.)
This is a good option if you always view your mail from the same client on the same computer, and would prefer to keep your mail on your local machine instead of on
the mail server. While this will make it easier to stay under quota, the number of messages you can store will still be limited by the size of your hard drive. Also, if your hard drive
is damaged or you accidentally delete a message, it will be impossible for ISC Networking and Telecommunications to restore your mail unless it was still on the server during the recovery window (see How can I get Zimbra data restored?).
Zimbra Connector for Outlook
The Zimbra Connector for Outlook (ZCO) allows access to some of the advanced features of Zimbra, such as the Zimbra Calendar, from within Microsoft Outlook.
The latest version of the ZCO is available but please contact your LSP or account administrator if you are interested in installing the ZCO to make sure that your department supports use of this client.