Green Work Practices: Tuning Up Operations
Using E-Fax instead of a traditional fax saves paper
Reducing power usage isn’t the only way computers can be used to help have less ecological impact. Since they are so flexible, computers can really help you change your workflow.
- Instead of faxing, send an email with an attachment. Email has reduced the need for faxing.
- Explore using fax server software that eliminates the need for a traditional fax machine thus reducing paper and energy consumption. A variety of proprietary and open source solutions are available.
- Consider purchasing data fax services from outside your organization.
- For example, ISC Networking & Telecommunications offers data fax services as part of it's Automatic Call Distribution Center (ACD) services. To learn more, visit ISC's ACD services.
- Additional internet fax services are available as well, such as eFax, MyFax, Send2Fax, and others.
Online collaboration tools can save time and other resources
Working with others either by teleconferencing or by using electronic collaboration tools, can help save travel costs and paper. Departments at Penn use various tools to help foster electronic collaboration. Work with your Local Support Provider to see what is available in your area.
- Utilize instant messaging (IM). IM services like Jabber can assist communications. Sometimes a quick "chat" online can save the need to commute to a meeting.
- Explore online collaboration tools and document stores, like wikis and content managers, which can really cut down on the amount of printing that is necessary to prepare documents and share information.
- Conduct meetings through video conferencing or teleconferencing instead of in person when possible, especially when traveling is far away and costly. Video conferencing services are available through Penn Video Productions.