Sending Email: Selecting & Configuring Your SMTP Server
Why This Matters: To send email from on or off campus, you must configure your email software to use the correct Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server. Without the correct SMTP server address, you cannot send email.
To set up SMTP, you have to make a choice to either configure your email with a Penn-based SMTP server or with an Internet Service Provider (ISP) based SMTP server. Whenever possible, Information Systems & Computing (ISC) suggests using Penn-based SMTP servers.
In some cases, you must choose ISP-based SMTP servers. An example is:
- Your ISP requires you to use its own SMTP server. Some ISPs that have this policy include Earthlink, ICDC, DCAnet, and PA Online. In general, free ISPs are more likely to require you to use their own SMTP servers.
Selecting And Configuring SMTP Servers
For all email applications, you will need to make sure that the "outgoing mail server" or "SMTP server" is set to the appropriate name.
Penn-based SMTP Servers
Note: If your Penn-based SMTP server is not included on this list, please contact your Local Support Provider (LSP)
|If your email address ends with
||The SMTP server is |
||see Wharton instructions|
mail.exchange.upenn.edu (ISC Exchange)
||see SAS instructions|
||see SEAS instructions|
ISP-based SMTP Servers
Note: Because server names are subject to change, you should contact your ISP to verify the names on this list. If your ISP-based SMTP server is not listed here, please contact your ISP.
||SMTP Server Name
||use Penn-based SMTP servers
||smtp1.attglobal.net Not available to new subscribers for 30 days
||smtp.earthlink.net (authenticated SMTP is smtpauth.earthlink.net)
If you' re using Thunderbird 2.0.0.x:
- For both Mac OS and Windows, open Thunderbird, and from the Tools menu, select Account Settings....
- In the left panel, click Outgoing Server (SMTP). The Outgoing Server SMTP Settings window displays.
- Click the Add button.
- In the Server Name field, type the appropriate SMTP server name.
- Select the option Use name and password, and then type your email user name in the User Name: field (This is the name that is to the left of the @ symbol in your email address.).
- For the Use secure connection (SSL): option, select either TLS if available or SSL. Check with your ISP or your LSP for the correct setting.
- Click OK.
If you are using Apple Mail:
- For Mac OS, open Apple Mail, and from the Mail menu, select Preferences... . The Accounts window displays. Ensure the Account Information tab is highlighted.
- Click the Service Settings button. The SMTP Server Options window displays.
- In the Outgoing Mail Server field, type the appropriate name of the outgoing mail server.
- In the User Name field, type your email user name (This is the name that is to the left of the @ symbol in your email address.).
- Click OK.
If you are using Outlook 2003 or 2007:
- For Windows, open Outlook, and from the Tools menu, select Accounts. The Outgoing Server (SMTP) dialog box displays.
- Type the name of the outgoing mail server.
For information on compatibility and settings of other email clients that may be used in your school or department, please contact your Local Support Provider (LSP).