How to Configure Mac OS 10.6 Applications for the Penn Online Directory
This document provides instructions for configuring Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard applications for the Penn Online Directory. These applications (Address Book and Apple Mail) are already installed in the Applications folder on your hard drive, and aliases for them are placed by default in dock.
Important: Configuring Apple Mail and Address Book with the below instructions requires you to enter your actual PennKey password. This information is stored on your hard drive with 128-bit encryption. If you are uncomfortable doing this, consider using another email client such as Thunderbird.
Configuring Address Book for the Penn Online Directory
Configuring Mail for the Penn Online Directory will allow you to automatically look up a person in the Penn Online Directory and transfer their contact information into your Address Book. Each time you search the Penn Online Directory you will need to authenticate with your PennKey.
- Launch Apple's Address Book application.
- From the Address Book menu, choose Preferences... The General window displays.
- Click the Accounts icon. The Accounts window displays.
- Click the plus (+) button in the lower left corner. The Add Account window displays.
- From the Account type: dropdown list, choose LDAP.
- In the Server address: field, type directory.upenn.edu
- Click the Server Options arrow.
- Select the Use SSL checkbox. Observe as the Port: field value changes automatically to 636
- Click the Continue button. The Account Settings window displays.
- In the Description: field, type Penn Online Directory
- In the Search Base: field, type the following, ensuring the "P" in People is capitalized:
ou=People, dc=upenn, dc=edu
- From the Scope dropdown list, choose Subtree.
- From the Authentication: dropdown list, select Simple.
- In the User Name: field, where username is your actual PennKey username, type the following ensuring that both "Ps" in "PennPeople" are capitalized:
uid=username, ou=PennPeople, dc=upenn, dc=edu
- In the Password: field, enter your PennKey password.
- Click the Create button. The Accounts window displays.
- Quit the Address Book application.
Configuring Apple Mail for the Penn Online Directory
- Launch Apple Mail.
- From the Mail menu, select Preferences... .
- Click the Composing icon.
- Ensure the Automatically complete addresses checkbox is selected, then click the Configure LDAP... button.
- Mail may ask if it can use the directory.upenn.edu item in your keychain. If so, click the Always Allow button.
- Ensure the Active checkbox is selected for the Penn Online Directory.
- Click the Done button.
- Quit Mail.