Secure Remote Backup for Desktops
Secure Remote Backup (SRB) for desktops & laptops is a self-help service for backing up desktops. The service is managed and maintained by ISC LAN Technology Services (LTS). SRB for desktops provides continuous, real-time backup protection as well as scheduled backup. The annual cost is $18 per machine plus .50 per GB per month for storage. The SRB service is powered by CrashPlan Pro.
The backup service provides a dual-destination backup process that sends data to two destinations simultaneously. The desktop application is configured to automatically connect to both servers to provide data backup redundancy. There are two data stores, one in the ISC's Facilities Managed Data Center at 3401 Walnut Street and one at South Bank. The two data stores are not replicated to SunGard. In case of a University wide disaster that destroys the backup servers at both sites the backup data will be lost and unrecoverable.
The desktop application interface is designed to be flexible enough to provide the user the ability to select which folder/files should be backed up or restored. At the organization level, the application interface can be locked down by the service administator with predefined settings to prevent users from making changes to the application. For additional information on the client settings that can be set via policy at the org level, please visit this site
The SRB application checks for data changes at a pre-defined interval and only sends the new data to the dual-destination backup servers. The desktop data is de-duplicated at the block level, compressed and encrypted before it leaves the source computer. This de-duplicated, compressed and encrypted data is then sent to the dual-destination backup servers. The data stored on the destination server is not human readable and can only be viewed via the SRB software.
What's New -
On May 5th, 2015 at 6:00pm we will upgrade the Secure Remote Backup application on the master server and the two associated storage servers. During this time, no backups or restores can be performed. Upon completion, clients will automatically reconnect and perform an auto-upgrade to version 3.6.3.PennEM subscribers should expect new fixlets by the following day. Only version 18.104.22.168 and 3.6.3 of the client will be supported after the upgrade.
SRB for desktops Support Links
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1
- Linux Kernel 2.6.13 or newer
- Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10
- OpenSolaris, Solaris 10
- LTS will provide and maintain the two SRB for desktop data repositories (storage)
- LTS will provide the desktop application required to connect to the SRB servers
- LTS will meet with the department LSP to discuss desktop application settings
- LTS will maintain SRB account management
- LTS will assist the LSP with the initial installation and setup of the SRB desktop application on one or several representative desktops as part of the knowledge transfer.
- LSP will work with their users to determine the data that is to be included in the backups and is required to restore systems and or files that are relevant to their specific business requirements
- Users are responsible for setting up a complex password
- Clients and/or LSPs will monitor user data storage usage
- Clients will provide a budget number to charge
- Clients and/or LPSs will have access to restore backed up data from the data store
- Clients and/or LSPs will request termination of accounts and data purging. Data purging will also require approval from the user and a Business Manager
Guaranteed Service Agreement:
Generally, the SRB is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When a service outage occurs, LTS staff attempts to restore service as quickly as possible. During weekdays (Monday through Friday) from 8:00am through 6:00pm LTS staff is available to monitor, diagnose, and correct any system failures that might occur. After-hours support (University work days, 6:00pm to 11:30pm and Saturday 8:00am to 11:30pm) is performed remotely by on-call staff members. During all other hours LTS staff monitor and respond on a "best effort" basis only.
For additional information on how the desktop application works, please visit the service FAQ. For more information on the Secure Remote Backup for desktops please send email to lan@isc.