Data Rates: Central Service Fee
The Central Service Fee (CSF) provides funding for the Central Infrastructure Bundle through which ISC provides numerous core networking, security, and identity management services to the University community. In consultation with the Network Planning Task Force, ISC is implementing a series of strategic efforts that will keep FY’15 rates low, while greatly enhancing network capacity, security, and services. These additions and enhancements will result in a 2.25% ($130K) increase to the FY’15 CSF. To offset this increase, ISC will reduce FY’15 fees for high-speed ports, charging 10/100/1000 Base-T ports at the same rate of $4.75/month to create anticipated client savings of $176K. Telephony audits and conversions to PennNet Phone will continue to offer significant savings to the University community, including approximately $300K for FY’15.
- Augmented support for big data and computation-based collaborative research through enhancements to the campus network, including substantially increased connectivity to Internet2.
- Authenticated wireless access for the rapidly growing “Internet of Things” (wireless devices with embedded sensors used for security, research, etc.).
- Improved wireless “onboarding process” for campus visitors through enhancements/ alternatives to AirPennNet-Guest.
- Membership in the eduroam consortium for the Penn community. Eduroam is a secure, world-wide roaming Internet access service that allows students, researchers, and staff from participating institutions to obtain free, instantaneous Internet connectivity when visiting other eduroam member organizations. To learn more and view a map of participating eduroam institutions, see: https://www.eduroam.us/.
- Network Address Translation a network service used for IP address Management, whereby private IP address ranges are “translated” to public IP addresses. This service enables many more devices to connect to the network, reduces costs by conserving the number of IP addresses needed, and enhances security by offering another layer of access control to network attached devices.
Monthly IP charge
$1.57 (plus headcount charge)
$1.56 (plus headcount charge)
In FY'16, the Central Service Fee will cover:
•Campus Backbone Infrastructure
•Internet and Internet2 Access
•Rate Limits on ResNet External
•IPv6, Multicast and Advanced Networking
•Public Wireless Subsidy
•Cap on Billable Wireless IPs
•NAP Operations/Fiber and Cable Management
•NOC Services and Network Management
•Penn's Main Web and Central Pages
•Online Directory and LDAP access
•Classlists and SMTP Mail Relay
•University Calendar Service
•Infrastructure Software Services
•DNS, DHCP, NTP
•Penn+Box Storage & Collaboration
•Enterprise InCommon Cert Svc
•Network Address Translation (NAT)
•Internet of Things
•Kerberos, KITE, RADIUS
•Penn WebLogin (CoSign and Shibboleth)
•The InCommon Federation
•Authorization (Penn Groups)
•PennNames and Penn Community Services
•Wireless Authentication & Support
•AirPennNet Guest Sponsored Access
•Security Tools, Education, and Response
•PennKey School Support
•Intrusion Detection Systems
•Enhanced AirPennNet Guest Services