Close-Out Phase : Construct Mission Continuity Plans
Mission continuity planning is designed to ensure that the University is prepared to resume operations as efficiently as possible in the event of a crisis (such as a fire, flood, or other cause of interruption in operations). As part of Penn’s Mission Continuity program, all Schools, Departments, Centers and (within ISC) service owners are responsible for developing mission continuity plans and recording them online using special software tailored for Penn, called Shadow-Planner.
|Subject Matter Experts||X|
* The ISC representative with whom the client will work and who is responsible for driving the request to a point of approval or denial.
MISSION CONTINUITY PLANS CONSTRUCTED AND ENTERED IN SHADOW-PLANNER (see samples)
Each plan owner will develop mission continuity plans to ensure that they can resume operations as efficiently as possible in the event of an unexpected interruption.
Following are the general steps for creating and maintaining a local mission continuity plan:
- Complete the online training modules in Knowledge Link, designed to further acquaint you with Mission Continuity, its purpose, its benefits to, some of the roles and processes related to the program, and how to use Shadow-Planner, the Mission Continuity database. There is also a module on Information Privacy and Security. Successful completion of these modules is a pre-requisite for access to Shadow-Planner.
- Download and complete the Shadow-Planner access form from the Mission Continuity website (www.upenn.edu/missioncontinuity) and secure the appropriate approval signatures. Important: You must submit this completed form in order to gain access to the system.
- Assemble plan information. Here are examples of the type of information that may need to be collected:
- Call lists
- Critical processes and owners
- Building / facility information
- Necessary equipment / supplies
- Key technology and system applications
- Vital documents
- Key supplier contact information
Completing the Pre-Planning Questionnaire, also available on the website, will help to structure your thinking about this information (see next step).
- Complete the Pre-Planning Questionnaire. You may use this document simply to organize your own thoughts or as an interview tool or you may ask others working on your service to fill it out and return it to you.
- Determine the structure of plans to be entered into Shadow-Planner; the planning template attached to the website can help with this. Also, here is a planning document for ISC Mission Continuity plans: Mission Continuity Guidance
- Enter mission continuity plan into Shadow-Planner.
- Review and update plan regularly.
With any questions or issues, feel free to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: The label “Awaiting Documents” is a placeholder in case the plan owner wishes to attach a Procedure document at a later time.