Product Notes: Dell Latitude D620
Important Note: this product is no longer current. Dell's Latitude E6410 14-inch widescreen notebook occupies the equivalent place in their current product line. [July 7, 2010]
May 18th, 2006
Dell's Latitude D620 notebook became available with a discrete graphics card today, making it a good match for the University's Mid-Weight Laptop recommendation.
Several notes when ordering an Latitude 620:
- The Latitude D620 enclosure is significantly different from the D610 it replaces. It is thinner and lighter, and includes several new ports and capabilities. The most obvious difference is the 16:10 widescreen - a significant change from the previous 4:3.
- The Latitude D620 includes Dell's Wi-Fi Catcher wireless network locater.
- As with other mid-weight laptops, ISC continues to strongly suggest a discrete video card instead of integrated video.
- Though Dell has made it part of the default configuration for the Latitude D620, ISC does not believe that Gold Technical Support is the correct choice for all Schools and Centers. ISC intends to follow up on this particular issue in a more detailed communication.
- Overall, ISC believes that the Latitude D620 is a good choice going forward. It, along with the larger Latitude D820, marks a significant and welcome step forward in product design for Dell.
--John Mulhern III, Senior Project Leader, ISC Technology Support Services (May 18th, 2006)
Information Systems and Computing, University of Pennsylvania