Product Notes: Lenovo ThinkPad T60
Important Note: this product is no longer current. Lenovo's ThinkPad T410 and ThinkPad T410s 14-inch widescreens occupy the equivalent place in their current product line. [July 7, 2010]
January 31st, 2006
Multiple vendors have announced workstations based on Intel's Core Duo mobile chipset over the last few weeks. New laptops with this chipset from Lenovo are branded as the ThinkPad T60 .
Several notes when ordering an ThinkPad T60:
- The ThinkPad T60 will eventually replace the ThinkPad T43 line.
- The ThinkPad T60 is a similiar enclosure to the ThinkPad T43, but is slightly larger.
- The ThinkPad T60 continues the T-series' position as the design leader of the ThinkPad line, though the Z-series' widescreen and other features narrow this gap.
- ISC believes that the Core Duo is an extremely important and well designed processor, but is still a substantial uptick (more than $100) from the capable Pentium M. At this point, ISC is comfortable with either the Pentium M or the Core Duo as a Mid-Weight Laptop configuration - sometime within the next six months we will transition completely to the Core Duo.
- With the ThinkPad T60, ISC continues to strongly suggest a video card instead of the integrated video for all mid-range to high-end configurations.
Overall, ISC believes that the ThinkPad T60 is a good choice going forward.
--John Mulhern III, Senior Project Leader, ISC Technology Support Services (January 31st, 2006)
Information Systems and Computing, University of Pennsylvania