Secure Share is a web-based application for secure file exchange available to Penn faculty and staff. Though there should be a very limited need to exchange sensitive or confidential information electronically, when members of the Penn community are required to do so, Secure Share provides a secure and easy-to-use mechanism to ensure the safety and privacy of University data.
How it works
Users may upload and download files via Secure Share and the application ensures that files reach only the intended recipients. Files are encrypted when they are uploaded, downloaded, and while being stored, and the system sends e-mail notifications to designated recipients when files are available for retrieval. Files are automatically deleted after they are retrieved by a designated recipient; files that are not retrieved within 30 days are deleted from the system. Secure Share should not be used as a document storage mechanism, but rather as a safe alternative to file exchange methods such as e-mail, FTP, and portable devices for sharing documents with sensitive information across campus.
Benefits of Secure Share
Some of the key benefits of using Secure Share are:
- Reduces the University's exposure to data compromise issues such as identity theft
- Protects confidential data in documents, such as Social Security Numbers, financial information, health information, student grades, etc.
- Available to faculty and staff University-wide; eliminates the need for individual departments or Schools to develop in-house secure file exchange systems
- Helps ensure that those who request confidential data are properly authorized to receive it
- Data protected by encryption when uploaded, downloaded, and while stored on Secure Share
- Secure and easy-to-use application
Secure Share is available to all Penn faculty and staff with a valid PennKey and PennKey Password.
To access the application, click the Logon link below and authenticate with your PennKey and PennKey Password. After you authenticate, you will be redirected to the Secure Share application.
Note: If you do not have a PennKey, or if you have a PennKey but forgot your password, go to the PennKey web site for more information at http://www.upenn.edu/computing/pennkey/. If you have any trouble with the PennKey process, contact your Local Support Provider. For a contact list, go to http://www.upenn.edu/computing/view/support/.
When sending files via the application, users can:
- Upload any type of file
- Use the built-in directory to designate recipients
- Add multiple recipients to receive an uploaded file
- Upload multiple files and choose to send a single message that alerts recipients
- Optionally elect to send an e-mail to notify recipients that a file or files are ready for retrieval on Secure Share, with a direct link to the application
Note that an uploaded file cannot exceed 100 MB in size.
When a file is ready for retrieval, an e-mail is sent to the designated recipients. Please note the following regarding file retrieval:
- Uploaded files will remain available to recipients for 30 days
- Once a file has been downloaded by a recipient, it is only available on Secure Share to that recipient for the remainder of that day
- Once a file has been downloaded by all recipients, it will be deleted from Secure Share
- Recipients should contact the sender directly if they have problems retrieving a file
Questions about Secure Share can be addressed to email@example.com.
Last updated: Friday, October 4, 2013