Security Advisory: multiple security vendors have reported and Adobe has acknowledged vulnerabilities in versions of Flash Player for OS X and Windows prior to 11.6.602.180. ISC strongly suggests upgrading to Flash Player 11.6.602.180. For more information, click here. [March 12, 2013]
Uninstall Existing Antivirus Software (Mac OS; Windows)
Do not have two antivirus software programs installed on the same machine. Completely remove one program before installing another, this includes uninstalling older versions of the same software.
Caution: The following instructions will leave your computer without antivirus protection. Immediately after removing existing antivirus software, install the appropriate version for your machine.
If you already have antivirus software installed on your computer such as Virex for Macintosh, you should remove it before installing Norton's antivirus products. Norton users must also remove older versions of Norton AntiVirus, including version 10.1.6, before installing Norton AntiVirus 11.0.3.
The following instructions are for removing Norton Antivirus software. If you are uninstalling another vendor's software, consult their documentation for help.
You will need your Administrator password to remove the software.
To remove existing Norton antivirus software:
- Close all applications.
- Open your Macintosh hard drive.
- Select the Applications folder.
- Open the Symantec Solutions folder by clicking the drop down arrow.
- Double-click the Symantec Uninstaller.
- Follow the prompts in the Symantec Uninstaller program to remove all previous versions of the Symantec software. This may take several minutes.
- When prompted, click OK to confirm that you want to uninstall the software.
- When prompted, restart your computer to ensure that all software has been removed.
- Immediately install Norton AntiVirus from this Virus website, the Supported Product website , or the PennConnect DVD-ROM .
If you already have antivirus software installed on your computer, such as McAfee VirusScan for Windows, you should remove it before installing Symantec's antivirus products. Symantec users must also remove earlier versions of Symantec AntiVirus, including version 10.1.6, before installing Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.6a
To remove existing Symantec antivirus software:
- Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
- Do the following:
- Windows 7 &Vista: Under Programs, click Uninstall a Program. Beneath Program and Featurs, click Programs. Select the antivirus program from the list, and then click the Uninstall button. Click Yes to confirm unistalling the program from your machine.
- Windows XP: Double-click the Add or Remove Programs option. Next, select your antivirus program from the list, then click the Remove button. Click Yes when prompted to remove your existing antivirus software. This may take 60 - 120 seconds.
- If one or all of the following messages display -- it may take 10 to 15 seconds for each message to appear -- respond as follows, otherwise skip to step 4:
When prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.
- If the Remove Shared File window displays and asks if you want to remove a shared file, click the No to All button, and then click No when the Remove Programs from your Computer window is displayed.
- If the Remove Program Directory window displays and identifies remaining files in the antivirus software directory that you are removing and then asks if you would like to delete them, click the Yes button. For example, the path of the directory may look like the following: C:\Program Files\name of antivirus vendor\name of antivirus directory.
- If the following message displays, click the Yes button: "There are files in Quarantine. Would you like to permanently delete the quarantined files?"
- If the following message displays, click the Yes button: "A read only file, C:\program files\name of antivirus vendor you are removing\name of antivirus directory you are removing\setup.exe, was found while attempting to copy files to the destination location. To overwrite this file, click the Yes button, otherwise click the No button."
Close the the Control Panel window, then close the Uninstall Program window or the Add or Remove Programs Properties window.
Immediately install Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.x from this Virus website, the Supported Product website or the PennConnect DVD-ROM .