The Yenching Academy
Internal Penn Deadline: January 15, 2016
The Yenching Academy offers an intensive program of interdisciplinary classroom and field study of Chinese history and culture, as well as real-time issues in China’s development. Functioning as an independent college at Peking University, Beijing, the academy offers students a Master of Arts in China Studies. The curriculum will cover six broad categories: Literature and Culture; History and Archaeology; Philosophy and Religion; Politics and International Relations; Economics and Management; and Law and Society. Some courses will address a theme, such as China’s Population, that will be co-taught by faculty across departments such as sociology, history, geography, anthropology, and government.
Scholars receive a fellowship that covers tuition and fees, accommodation and living costs. Students will complete their coursework during the fall and spring semesters, supplemented with summer study. The fellowship for international students ends after twelve months; they may complete and defend their thesis any time up to two years after completing their Academy residence. Research and teaching assistantships are available for international students wishing to stay beyond twelve months. Mainland Chinese students will be supported on campus for an additional year during which they will work on their thesis. Mainland Chinese students should note that they are only eligible if they apply during their senior year at a Chinese university.
Special career development and alumni services advising will be provided for Scholars.
Academy courses will be available in both English and Chinese. It will be possible for international students to complete their degrees with courses taught in English. Chinese language study will be required for all international students; those with an advanced level of Chinese will be encouraged to take courses taught in Chinese. For Chinese students, a minimum of 75% of their credits must be from courses offered in English.
January 31, 2016 - Applicants must submit their completed application through the Yenching Academy application system.
The application will become available online September 1, 2015.
Required qualifications and selection criteria
- Bachelor’s degree in any field
- Maximum age 25 in 2015
- Outstanding academic record
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Active in extracurricular activities
- Active community engagement and a strong sense of social responsibility
- Strong moral character
- Demonstrated interest in exploring diverse cultures, in particular Chinese and Asia Pacific cultures
- Demonstrated English Proficiency
All foreign students and students from Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan must apply through the online portal.
- Completed online application
- An English proficiency test score is required for those whose native language is not English or for those who are not graduating from an English-speaking University.
Minimum test scores: TOEFL: 100; IELTS: 7; Cambridge: 180; CEFR: C1
- Latest official transcript
- Two letters of recommendation from professors or academic advisers from the applicant's home university, or others who are able to comment on the applicant's educational performance and future potential
- Personal statement of up to 750 words in English, containing a personal introduction and reasons why you wish to be a Yenching Scholar
Finalists will be interviewed via Skype, or in rare cases, in person. Winners will be announced March 2016.