- President's Engagement Prizes
- Fellowship Advising
- Fellowships Directory
- Endorsement Process for Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell
- Steps in the Fellowship Process
- Information Sessions and Workshops
- Learning Outcomes
- Letters of recommendation for fellowships
- Past Recipients
- Other Funding Resources
- UK Programs
Deadline: January 4, 2015
The Foundation awards undergraduate scholarships to students who have outstanding potential and intend to earn a PhD and pursue research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
Each scholarship provides up to a maximum of $7,500 annually for up to two years of undergraduate study.
Eligibility and Qualifications
- plan careers as academic researchers/scholars in math, science or engineering
- apply as a sophomore or junior
- be US citizens, US nationals or permanent residents with intent to become citizens
- have very high grades (generally 3.80 or higher)
Application Procedures and Selection Criteria
To be considered for Penn endorsement, applicants should plan to complete essay and the online application (including recommendations) by the campus due date.
Application consists of
- Description of current research
- Description of proposed graduate study and research
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty or research supervisors
As soon as candidates have arranged for letters of recommendation, they should fill out the Recommendation Request Form for each recommender, and for each program to which they are applying.
Candidates who are currently enrolled Penn students should create a single pdf of the required application materials listed on the Goldwater website and complete and submit the Penn Request for Nomination application form at https://secure.www.upenn.edu/curf/form/fellowships-internal-application
Candidates who are NOT currently enrolled Penn students should create a single pdf of the required application materials listed on the Goldwater website and complete and submit the Penn Request for Nomination application form at http://www.upenn.edu/curf/form/fellowships-internal-application-non-pennkey
All applicants must submit these materials in a single file in .pdf format. No other format will be accepted. To create a copy of your Penn transcript, go to Penn InTouch and print your transcript to pdf. (If you don’t have Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer, download the free installer to obtain the free version of Adobe or use a Penn computer that has Adobe Acrobat installed.) “Print” and save each document as a pdf, then create a single pdf file as indicated above by navigating to Acrobat’s “File -> Create -> Combine Files into a Single PDF” feature.
Dr. Wallace Genser
Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
The ARCH, 3601 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6224
Please call 215-746-6488 to schedule an appointment