- President's Engagement Prizes
- President's Innovation Prize
- Fellowship Advising
- Fellowships Directory
- Endorsement Process for Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell
- Information Sessions and Workshops
- Learning Outcomes
- Letters of recommendation for fellowships
- Past Recipients
- Other Funding Resources
- UK Programs
- Records Access and Confidentiality Statements
The Beinecke Scholarship provides scholarships for students planning to pursue graduate study in the humanities, social sciences, or the arts. Each scholar receives $4,000 upon completion of their undergraduate studies, and a total additional $30,000 for support of graduate study.
Eligibility and Qualifications
- Apply as junior
- have a history of receiving need-based financial aid during their undergraduate years
- be a US citizen at the time of the nomination
Application Procedures and Selection Criteria
Penn will nominate only one student per year for the Beinecke Scholarship. Application forms are available for download at http://foundationcenter.org/grantmaker/beinecke/application.html. The complete application (including recommendations and transcripts as below) need to reach CURF in hard-copy by the campus deadline.
- Application form
- Current resume
- Statement of 1,000 words or less from the nominee describing his or her background, interests, career plans, and plans for graduate study. Included in this statement should be a discussion of some experiences and ideas that have shaped those interests, aspirations and plans.
- Official transcripts of all colleges attended
- Three or more letters of recommendation from faculty members addressing the nominee’s intellectual curiosity, character and potential for advanced graduate study
As soon as candidates have arranged for letters of recommendation, they should fill out the Recommendation Request Form for each recommender, and for each program to which they are applying.
Candidates who are currently enrolled Penn students should create a single pdf of the required application materials in the order listed above and complete and submit the application form at https://secure.www.upenn.edu/curf/form/fellowships-internal-application
All applicants must submit these materials in a single file in .pdf format. No other format will be accepted. To create a copy of your Penn transcript, go to Penn InTouch and print your transcript to pdf. (If you don’t have Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer, download the free installer to obtain the free version of Adobe or use a Penn computer that has Adobe Acrobat installed.) “Print” and save each document as a pdf, then create a single pdf file as indicated above by navigating to Acrobat’s “File -> Create -> Combine Files into a Single PDF” feature.
Deadline: Projects must be submitted electronically to CURF no later than January 24, 2016
Dr. Wallace Genser
Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
The ARCH, 3601 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6224
Please call 215-746-6488 to schedule an appointment