- President's Engagement Prizes
- President's Innovation Prize
- Fellowship Advising
- Fellowships Directory
- Endorsement Process for Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell
- Information Sessions and Workshops
- Learning Outcomes
- Letters of recommendation for fellowships
- Past Recipients
- Other Funding Resources
- UK Programs
- Records Access and Confidentiality Statements
DAAD German Academic Exchange Service (North America)
Funds one full year of study in any subject for a master’s degree or an independent research project at an institution in Germany. German language proficiency expected for social science and humanities degrees or projects, but not for STEM or arts fields. Includes Study Scholarships for Artists, Musicians, Actors, and Dancers.
Eligibility and Qualifications
US/Canadian citizenship or permanent residency; foreign nationals who have been in a full-time degree program at a university in the US or Canada for at least one year by the time of application deadline are also eligible.
Must have a bachelor’s degree at the beginning of the grant. May be a graduating senior, current graduate or professional student or recent alumnus (defined as having received a BA/BS or MA/MS within the past six years).
Application Procedures and Selection Criteria
Applications are submitted through Penn's DAAD coordinator, Ms. Anna Smith, in the Graduate Division of the School of Arts and Sciences. Additional advising is available from CURF.
Application consists of:
- Application form
- Supplementary materials (for music applicants)
- Study Proposal
- 1 letter of recommendation
- Evidence of contact with German institution
- German language form
Complete applications due to Penn coordinator by October 9.
School of Arts and Sciences, Graduate Division
3401 Walnut Street