Dr. Theodore W. McCullough V16, South Laguna, Calif., a retired veterinarian; Oct. 1979.
Robert B. Rinehart WEF22, Richardson, Tex., 1991.
Joseph Ominsky WEv23 W25, Philadelphia, the states oldest practicing lawyer who, in his long career, had served as a Pennsylvania state legislator, the city coroner and a deputy solicitor, and as a special federal attorney; Sept. 14, at 98 years.
G. Odell Fletcher C26, Kennett Square, Pa., retired executive with the old Girard Trust Co.; Aug. 25.
Lawrence E. Frankel W26 L29, Wynnewood, Pa., Aug. 7.
John J. Lipsky W26, Cinnaminson, N.J.
Frank J. Robertson W26, Richmond, Va., retired director of personnel services for General Motors international operations; Sept. 6.
Dr. Aaron B. Yasinow GM26, Rochester, N.Y., a retired surgeon.
Dr. Edward M. Repp C27 M32, Pompano Beach, Fla., a retired physician who had maintained a practice there and earlier in Philadelphia; Aug. 29.
Raymond F. Austin FA28, Weston, Vt., Oct. 25, 1998.
Dr. Claude W. Miller V28, Mechanicsburg, Pa., retired director of pathological services for the Pennsylvania Bureau of Animal Industry; Sept. 11.
Catherine Kevin Sharp Ed28, Ambler, Pa., a retired social worker in Washington; Sept. 9.
J. Wesley Tillou C28, Nutley, N.J., a retired insurance agent for the old Mutual Benefit Insurance Co. of Newark; Aug. 31.
Dr. Joseph R. Lifschitz D29, Miami Beach, Fla., a retired dentist; August.
Helen E. Lyon Mu29, Hagerstown, Md., April 11.
Eleanor Segal Fleet Ed30 GEd64, Morrison, Colo.
Dr. Charles P. Shoemaker D30, Franklin, N.J., a retired dentist; Jan. 21.
Walter G. Dougherty Jr. WEv31, Haddonfield, N.J., Oct. 12.
Harold Wolf WEF31, Kingston, Pa., Sept. 12, 1991.
Edward G. Abdella W32, Redlands, Calif.
John J. Coan II C32, Broomall, Pa., Feb. 10.
Benjamin Cohn W32, Sedona, Ariz., Sept. 30.
John E. Finarelli Ed32 GEd49, Springfield, Pa., Dec. 31, 1999.
Hon. Frederick P. Glick C32 L35, Newtown Square, Pa., October.
Meyer Heiman Ed32 GEd36, Narberth, Pa., retired art teacher and guidance counselor at Philadelphias Central High School for 35 years; Feb. 28, 1998. For many decades he was co-owner and director of Camp Saginaw in Oxford and Camp Akiba in the Poconos. He had served as president of the Philadelphia Camping Association and vice president of the Association of Private Camps. And he was president of the Art Teachers Association.
Elsa Margolin Wexelblat Ed32, Merion, Pa., Aug. 23.
Dr. William A. Davis G33, Sun City, Ariz.
Job M. Francis Jr. W33, Manasquan, N.J., May 20.
Martin B. Oram W33, Santa Rosa, Calif., Sept. 27.
Dr. Irwin J. Pincus C33 GM51, Beverly Hills, Calif., a retired physician; October.
Dr. Ernest L. Stearly V33, Phoenixville, Pa., a retired veterinarian who had practiced in Chester and Montgomery counties for over 52 years before retiring in 1986; Aug. 15.
Dr. Martin Wanuck D33, Hollywood, Fla.; a retired dentist who had maintained practices in Brooklyn and Long Beach, N.Y., for 40 years.
Samuel D. Berger WEv34, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., Aug. 9.
Ruth Schindler Bocour CW34, Santa Monica, Calif., an arts patron best known for her work preparing the art collection of her husband, Leonard Bocour, which traveled throughout the country in the late 1960s and early 1970s; Oct. 1. He pioneered the development of acrylic paints, such as Magna, used by artists Jackson Pollack, Frank Stella and Roy Lichtenstein. She applied her knowledge of chemistry to help their firm develop a water-based acrylic, Aquatec. In the mid-1950s the company began producing small pots of paint for paint-by-numbers sets: after the winter holidays of 1954, it was deluged with orders and prospered. In the early 1950s, she and her first husband had lived in Paris to avoid being blacklisted for their political beliefs. In her later years, as a follower of the Pilates school of body movement, she taught dance in her N.Y. apartment.
Stephen T. Dean W34 L37, Longwood, Fla., a founding partner of Dean, Mead, Egerton, Bloodworth, Capouano & Bozarth, who was the first tax attorney to practice in the Orlando area; Aug. 14. Originally a Philadelphia lawyer, he moved to the quiet central Florida town in 1959. He had served as president of the old Florida Symphony in the 1970s.
Paul W. Fehr WEv34, Willow Street, Pa., retired tax accountant with the Exxon Corp.; Sept. 5. After retiring, he worked for the Insurance Company of North America in Philadelphia for 10 years. For 25 years he was secretary of Rockledge borough. During the Second World War, he received a Purple Heart after being wounded in France.
Paul R. Krum WEF34, Colonial Park, Pa., retired president of the Inclinator Co. of America; Sept. 3.
Jessie Rubenstone Ed34, Somers, N.Y.
Arthur A. Smith C34, Winnipeg.
William Dupont Staab Ar34, Essex Fells, N.J., Oct. 18, 1999.
William Earle Bradley EE35, New Hope, Pa., a retired director of research with the old Philco Corp., who took a 10-year leave of absence from there in 1957 to serve on the presidential Science Advisory Panel; Sept. 19. He had held patents for pioneering work in color television, and during the Second World War he worked on the American development of radar with the Radiation Laboratory of MIT. In 1970, he moved to New Hope and established a company, Puredesal Corp., and developed and patented energy-efficient water-purification technology. He also made telescopes, and developed a method to make clavichords.
James F. Glynn W35, Rochester, N.Y., June 28.
Fabian H. Kolker W35, Baltimore, former owner of his familys business, the Maryland Lumber Co., and known as an international activist who helped Jews emigrate from the former Soviet Union; Oct. 3. He first became interested in the plight of Soviet Jews when in 1960 he met the famous philosopher Bertrand Russell, who told him of the persecution of Jewish families, and in 1963 he founded the American Conference on Soviet Jewry. After the Six Days War, when Jewish people in the old USSR, began to demand the right to emigrate to Israel, their plight became severe. He had also played a role in the release of two celebrated refuseniks, the prisoner-of-conscience Anatoly Shcharansky, and ballet dancer Valery Panov. Credited in 1984 with having personally helped 150 families leave the Soviet Union, he also helped immigrating families get established when they settled in Baltimore. He also had served on the board of governors of Tel Aviv University.
Francenia Budd Towle G35, Millbrook, N.Y., a writer and poet; Oct. 20. She led workshops for the psychotherapist Ira Progoff at his Dialogue House.
Dr. Joseph J. Lowenthal C36 M40, Jacksonville, Fla., a retired physician; June 11.
Vera Smith McComb PSW36, Geneva, Ohio, a retired social worker and teacher; Jan. 19.
Anne Suckle Price CW36, Melrose Park, Pa., July 14.
Walter B. Richter W36, Stamford, Conn., May 23, 1993.
Douglas B. Stewart W36, Holland, N.J., a retired salesman for Garden Equipment Co.; Oct. 4.
Dr. John E. Craige V37, Reseda, Calif., a retired veterinarian; Sept. 27, 1994.
William F. Gleckner W37, Cape Canaveral, Fla., Nov. 16, 1999.
Col. William S. Gochenour V37, Lexington, Ky., a retired veterinarian; June 13, 1996.
Dr. Melvyn D. Hale V37, Meredith, N.H., a retired veterinarian who had maintained a practice in Wolfeboro for 25 years; June 23.
Everett M. Jess L37, San Diego, director of the San Diego Center for the Blind; Sept. 25. He had worked in advertising and public relations in N.Y. and southern Connecticut.
Hon. Theodore O. Rogers C37 L40, West Chester, Pa., a retired judge of the Commonwealth Court; Oct. 14. He served on the bench from 1971 to 1986, returning to private practice, and retiring from that in 1994. He served as chair of the Southeastern Transportation Compact and on the board of SEPTA. He was a former solicitor for Chester County and counsel for Tredyffrin township. At Penn he was editor-in-chief of the Law Review.
Joseph K. Schiffman W37, Harding, Pa., March.
Harry J. Strable WEv37, Collingswood, N.J., a retired audit supervisor for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in Philadelphia; Oct. 2.
Charles S. Strickler WG37, Bryn Mawr, Pa., financial vice president and director of C. Schmidt & Sons, Inc.; May 14. He was a former president and chair of St. Christophers Hospital for Children in Philadelphia. He also had served as chair of the Girl Scouts of Greater Philadelphia.
John G. Balog ME38, Shelton, Conn., July 28.
Gerald H. Becker C38, Palm Beach, Fla., March 28.
Dr. Paul G. Eglick C38 M42 GM46, Bethayres, Pa., a retired pediatrician who had maintained a practice in the Somerset district of Philadelphia for 34 years; Sept. 15.
Frank S. Mitchell W38, Venice, Fla., a former special agent with the FBI in Greenwich, Conn.; Sept. 27. He had been vice president of Arnold Baker, Inc.
Genevieve S. Powell OT38, Peachtree City, Ga.
Eleanor G. Sanctuary DH38, Jamestown, N.Y., Dec. 20, 1999.
Dr. James A. Lowrie M39, Ames, Iowa, a retired physician; March 11, 1996.
Alfred M. Senter W39, Yarmouth, Maine, retired head of his familys department store in Brunswick; Sept. 16. He had served for two terms in the Maine House of Representatives in the 1950s, and he was a former chair of the Board of Selectmen of Brunswick.
Robert F. Thornton WEF39, San Diego.
Dr. Robert L. Whitney C39, Concord, N.H., a general practitioner in Bennington; Sept. 14. He had earlier maintained a radiology practice in Concord.
Dr. Robert P. Johnston GM40, Aurora, Colo., a retired surgeon.
Amelie Kozinski GEd40, Wilmington, Del., retired languages teacher at Warner Junior High School; May 16.
Capt. Andrew M. McCrone W40, Virginia Beach, Va., a retired officer in the U.S. Navy Supply Corps; Sept. 16. From 1970 to 1989 he was vice president and trust officer of Crestar Bank.
Roger S. Pratt W40, Buffalo, N.Y., retired copy chief for Harold Warner Advertising; Aug. 26.
Dr. Harry M. Burros C41 GM48, North Wales, Pa., emeritus associate professor of urology in surgery at the University, who served as chair of urology at Graduate Hospital for more than 30 years; Aug. 29. He was a former president of the medical board of Graduate.
Paul J. Gilbert Jr. W41, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., March 1999.
Dr. Vincent L. Monica D41, Forked River, N.J., a retired dentist.
Maurice Naveen WEF41 W43, Port Chester, N.Y., Feb. 11.
Dr. Albert I. Rubenstone C41, Glenview, Ill., retired chair of pathology and director of the pathology laboratories at Mt. Sinai Medical College in Chicago; Aug. 13. He had also served as professor of pathology at Chicago Medical School and Rush Medical College.
John A. Simpson W41, Indiana, Pa., July 26.
Eugene O. Strolle ChE41, Flourtown, Pa., June 29, 1999.
Arthur F. Caturani C42, Madison, Wis., Nov. 26, 1996.
Jane B. Mackenzie WEF42, Scranton, Pa., Aug. 25.
Harry J. McCaughin Jr. W42, League City, Tex., Aug. 23, 1999.
George H. Bowen W43, Mahwah, N.J., May 17, 1999.
S. Elliot Feinstein W43, Clayton, Mo., a retired St. Louis businessman who had owned a chain of home stores and lumberyards; Oct. 5.
Arnold B. Grandberg W43, Palm Beach, Fla., retired president and chief executive officer of Brewster Wallcoverings in Randolph, Mass., for nearly 40 years; Oct. 1. He had served on the board of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston.
Robert E. Harford M43, Barefoot Bay, Fla., retired co-owner of his familys pipeline-construction firm in Emporium, Pa.; Aug. 5.
Dr. Arnold Kivnick ChE43 Gr51, Lansdale, Pa., Oct. 7.
Charles B. Pester W43, Richardson, Tex., Aug. 1.
Irene Sklaroff Rose Ed43, Merion, Pa., Dec. 1997.
Dr. Frank C. Steiner ChE43, Schenectady, N.Y., Oct. 5. He had worked in a number of technical and managerial positions for General Electric, from 1948 to 1984, at the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory and the National Reactor Test Site in Idaho.
Dr. Harvey B. Stetson C43 V45, St. Johnsbury, Vt., a veterinarian; May 1, 1992.
Capt. Steven Ward Callaway Jr. C44, Providence, R.I., retired commanding officer of the Naval Air Systems Command at Patuxent River; Sept. 1.
Lt.Col. John L. Terry Jr. V44, Albuquerque, N.M., a researcher with the U.S. Air Force; Aug. 17. He had received a Bronze Star for his work in Thailand with the World Health Organization.
Theodore Roseman ME45 WG46, Philadelphia, Aug. 24.
M. Lynch Crockett PSW46, Tazewell, Va., a retired social worker at the Florence Crittenden Home in Philadelphia; July 16.
Dr. Samuel T. Lachs C46, Haverford, Pa., retired chair and emeritus professor of the history of religion at Bryn Mawr College; Sept. 17. A specialist in the Talmudic-Midrashic literature, he wrote A Rabbinical Commentary on the New Testament (1987). And in his Humanism in Talmud and Midrash (1993) he explored the latitude given to rabbis to interpret Jewish law. Dr. Lachs had served as rabbi of the Conservative Congregation Ahavath Israel in Philadelphia in the 1950s, and joined the Bryn Mawr faculty in 1971. He had also taught briefly at the University.
S. Herbert Raynes Jr. GME46, Savannah, Ga., June 30.
Dr. Mildred E. Gebhard Gr47, Havre de Grace, Md., Oct. 4, 1999.
Dr. John N. Sherwood M47, Los Altos, Calif., a physician; 1999.
Walter T. Black W48, Pasadena, Calif., Sept. 11.
Dr. Howard W. Borsuk PSW48, Louisville, Ky., April 15.
Edward J. Danser L48, Mesa, Ariz., a retired attorney who had maintained a practice in Easton, Pa., where he served as legal counsel for the Allentown and Easton school districts; Sept. 7. He had also served on the board, and as legal adviser, of the U.S. Sports Acrobatics Federation.
Dr. Lawrence M. Hammar GM48, Mankato, Minn., a physician; March 31, 1996.
Barbara Baker Levergood CW48, Framingham, Mass., Aug. 3.
Dr. Hugh F. Robinson D48, Marlton, N.J., a retired dentist who had maintained practices in Camden and Pennsauken for more than 37 years; Aug. 31.
Prof. Charles G. Rosa C48 G50, Talent, Ore., June 25.
Clyde L. Shockley W48, Palmyra, Pa.
Dr. Robert L. Terry Gr48, Waterville, Maine.
George D. Wimmer GEd48, Morton, Pa., former teacher of civics and history and football and basketball coach at Ridley High School; Oct. 9. He was a past president of the state-wide teachers union, the Pennsylvania State Education Association, and helped organize the local association.
Frank B. Wood Jr. L48, Annapolis, Md., a retired real estate broker; Sept. 3.
Dr. John D. Alexander Jr. M49 GM53, Philadelphia, retired assistant professor of clinical medicine at the University; Feb. 20. He came to Penn as an instructor in 1957, became a clinical associate professor of medicine in 1963 and a clinical assistant professor in 1980, which he remained until he retired in 1990. Dr. Alexander joined the staff of Pennsylvania Hospital in 1956 and retired from there in 1989.
Jaime Annexy Jr. W49, San Juan, P.R., Aug. 8.
Ralph M. Cornell Jr. C49, Handerson, Nev., a retired social worker for Kern County in California; Aug. 12.
Burke L. Cox W49, Ingram, Tex., April 12. He had worked for the John Hancock Insurance Co. for 34 years.
Fred Fordham WEv49, Media, Pa., Sept. 6.
Dorothy Reber Haas Nu49, Reading, Pa., Oct. 25, 1999.
Dr. Ernest R. Hartmann M49, El Dorado, Ark., a physician; Nov. 16, 1999.
Glenn E. Webster W49, Trenton, N.J., Feb. 22, 1998.
Helen Towers Wilson SW49, Easton, Md., Dec. 9, 1999.
Dr. S. Thomas Carter Jr. C50, Voorhees, N.J., a retired physician who had maintained a practice in Collingswood for 24 years; Oct. 9. In 1978 he set up the Tatem Brown Family Practice Residency Program of West Jersey Hospital, and was chair of its Department of Family Practice. He had served as a clinical associate professor and clinical assistant professor at the University in the 1980s, and on the faculties at Hahnemann University and Temple University.
Richard H. Lander WEv50, Berkeley Heights, N.J., June 18.
William G. McDowell W50, Paoli, Pa., Oct. 16.
Robert W. McGee WG50, Phoenix, retired founding president and chief executive officer of what is now M&I Thunderbird Bank; Aug. 25. He was a past president of the Arizona Bankers Association.
Herbert S. Myers G50, Mamaroneck, N.Y., Jan. 16.
Dr. George L. Weber GM50, Berwyn, Pa., a retired surgeon who continued to practice general medicine; Oct. 19.
Ethylee Powers Woodward SW50, Santa Rosa, Calif., a retired psychiatric social worker in the public schools of Greenwich, Conn.; July 17. A Quaker, she was a volunteer counselor in New York prisons, in the 1970s provided a home to Laotian boat people, volunteered for Meals on Wheels, did adult-literacy work, and took into her own home people in need of housing, education, counseling and emotional support.
Granville Worrell III C50, Paoli, Pa., a retired foreign-service officer; Sept. 9.
Sydney M. Bitzer GEd51, Doylestown, Pa., Feb. 1992.
Teresa Franklin Furey WEv51, Upper Darby, Pa., former president of the Upper Darby School Board; Oct. 24. She had volunteered for many years with the school district.
Kenneth N. Hinde WEv51, Doylestown, Pa., Jan. 1, 1995.
Joseph A. Schiavo W51, Chincoteague Island, Va., retired director of marketing research for Philco-Ford; April 15.
Edward F. Washburn WG51, Pleasanton, Calif., July 1.
Dr. Wade H. Brannon GM52, Anniston, Ala., an otolaryngologist and surgeon; Feb. 18.
Dr. William E. Chamberlain D52, North Fort Myers, Fla., a dentist; Dec. 1999.
Dante N. Piccone W52, Larchmont, N.Y., May 15.
George R. Smith EE52 GEE60, Hopkinsville, Ky., Mar. 17.
Edward R. Kohnstam W53, Glen Mills, Pa., a retired furniture buyer for the old Strawbridge & Clothier in Philadelphia; June 18.
Dr. Harry A. Stone GM53, Chattanooga, Tenn., a retired surgeon.
Dr. William B. Young GM53, Wilson, N.C., a retired internist specializing in cardiology, who had maintained a practice there, his hometown, for 34 years; Sept. 17. He was president of the county Medical society and chief of staff at Wilson Memorial Hospital. And he was director of the North Carolina Heart Association. He served as an associate clinical professor at the University of North Carolina from 1956 to 1980.
Dr. Joseph Bilder Jr. GM54, Wichita Falls, Tex., July 8.
Carol Broad Foster CW54, Dresher, Pa., June 12.
Dr. Thomas L. Kane G54, Crofton, Md., a lexicographer and expert on Ethiopian languages and literature who had worked for the U.S. Department of Defense for 44 years; Sept. 24. He had compiled a two-volume Amharic-English dictionary and a two-volume Tigrinya-English dictionary.
Col. Raymond Y. Lord Jr. D54, Scarborough, Maine, a retired dental pathologist who had served as officer in charge of dental clinics at Fort Dix, N.J., and Fort Deven, Mass.; Sept. 21. He had maintained a private practice in Sanford, Maine, for 10 years, before re-entering the military in 1961. In the mid-1960s he was chief of the U.S. Armys dental forces in Saigon. He had received the Legion of Merit, and the Bronze Star for outstanding meritorious service.
Richard E. Ott WEv54, Southampton, N.J.
Dr. Derrick C. Turnipseed GM54, Orlando, Fla., a retired surgeon; July 19.
Dr. Frederick S. Conklin Jr. D55, Cold Spring, N.Y., a retired dentist who had maintained a practice in mid-town Manhattan for 30 years; June 18. His prominent patients included Leopold Stokowski, Bette Davis and Gert Macy. Retiring from dentistry in 1990, he spent seven years as a counsellor and hotline volunteer for the Gay Mens Health Crisis in New York.
Dr. Angel E. Enriquez GM55, Rizal, Philippines, professor of otolaryngology at the University of the Philippines and at the University of the City of Manilla; April 3. He founded and later headed the Philippine Society of Otolaryngology, was the first editor of the Philippine Journal of Otolaryngology, and he served as president of the Philippine Board of Otolaryngology from 1983 to 1997.
Mary Dick Osgood CW55, Malvern, Pa., 1992.
Elliott F. Vaughan W55, West Chester, Pa., head of a firm that makes labeling and coding equipment for the packaging industry; May 27. He was a former product manager for Amoco Chemicals in Chicago and New Castle, Del.
Charlton Yarnall II W55, Bryn Mawr, Pa., Oct. 9. He retired in 1997 from Boenning and Scattergood after 40 years in the investment business.
Donald J. Cianela Ed56, Margate, Fla., March 13.
Douglas R. Innella WEv56, Horsham, Pa., May 22, 1999.
Dr. Norman W. Peters Jr. C56 GM64, Ocean City, N.J., retired first chief of anesthesiology at Burdette Tomlin Memorial Hospital in Cape May Court House; Oct. 13.
Anna M. Spaller SW56, Wilmington, Del.
John M. Mayernick WEv57 WEv59, West Chester, Pa., a retired customer-accounts manager with the old Philadelphia Electric Co.; Oct. 20.
Kenneth H. Repath Jr. WG57, Melbourne, Fla.
Ignatius J. Kamieniecki WEv58, Clark, N.J., Sept. 17, 1999.
Leland R. Rosemond G58 WG76, Wayne, Pa., May.
Louis J. Adler L59, Harrisburg, Pa., a partner of the law firm of Adler & Claraval who had served as city solicitor; Dec. 2, 1999. He also served as hearing master and administrative chair of the Dauphin County Divorce Program as well as director of the Dauphin County Tax Claim Bureau. A commissioner of Dauphin County, he was also a committee chair of the Capital Region Economic Development Corp., and a director of First Federal Savings & Loan Association of Harrisburg. Larry had once served as chair of the Pennsylvania Democratic State Committee. As president of the Dauphin County Bar Association, he set up a standing committee to promote diversification for the county bar.
Lawrence E. Collins G60 WG83, Trenton, N.J., a control administrator for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection; Aug. 21.
Dr. Harry B. Hoffman D60, Red Bank, N.J., a dentist.
Dr. George Suld Gr60, Springfield, Pa., Aug. 29.
Robert C. Trigg W60, Tampa, Fla., founding head of C.G. Trigg & Son, a food-brokerage firm; Sept. 28. He was a past president of the Central Florida Frozen Foods Association and the Tampa Food Brokers Association. At Penn, Bob was a member of the varsity soccer and track teams and Phi Kappa Sigma and was active in the ROTC.
Dr. Joseph Dupcak Jr. D61, Monroe, N.Y., a dentist; 1992.
Raymond S. Granlund WG61, Georgetown, Tex., March 13. For the last 12 years he worked in the office of the dean of engineering at Rice University. Previously he had established a prosperous graphics and multipress firm.
James T. Harris SW61, New Hamburg, Ont., retired professor of social work at the University of Waterloo; Sept. 17, 1999.
Abigail Lavine Loomar CW61, Yardley, Pa., a retired office manager; Sept. 3.
Dr. Lester Baker GM62, Philadelphia, professor of pediatrics and director of Penns Diabetes Research Center since 1993; Sept. 17. He came to Penn as an assistant professor of pediatrics in 1966 and was appointed associate professor in 1970 and professor in 1976. He wrote over 100 articles, abstracts and chapters, and co-wrote Psychosomatic Families: Anorexia Nervosa in Context (1978). Dr. Baker was a principal investigator in a 10-year study, the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial, and he had helped design and implement a landmark national study in the 1980s and 1990s that showed rigorous control of blood-sugar levels can dramatically cut down the diseases serious complications. He served as professor of pediatrics at Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia.
Dr. John C. Poppeliers G62, Washington, an architectural historian who was head of the U.S. Park Services Historic American Buildings Survey; Sept. 1. He was principal author of What Style Is it? and an instructor in architectural history at Mary Washington College and American University.
Scott Umsted Jr. L62, Kingston, R.I., an attorney in private practice who had also served as probate judge for Jamestown; Oct. 9. In the early 1970s he was a special assistant attorney-general for Rhode Island.
Dr. Dawn B. Marks G63 Gr65, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., emeritus professor of biochemistry at Temple University; Sept. 6. Known nationally for her innovative techniques in the teaching of biochemistry and molecular biology, she wrote the textbooks Review of Biochemistry (1990) and Basic Medical Biochemistry: A Clinical Approach (1996).
Roger E. Schell GEE63, Cheverly, Md., May 31, 1999.
Jane E. Finkel CW67, New York, Feb. 7.
Roy J. Karmosky Nu67 GNu70, Steubenville, Ohio, director of the School of Nursing of Trinity Health System; Sept. 3.
Dr. Alan L. Patterson D67, Stratford, Conn., a dentist.
Dr. Robert Fantl GM68, Fresno, Calif., a surgeon.
Suzanne Nye Greenberg CW68, Philadelphia, an investment adviser with Cumberland Advisors Inc. in Vineland, N.J.; Oct. 14. She served on the board of the endowment corporation of the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia. She was a member of the Trustees Council of Penn Women of the University of Pennsylvania and served on the board of Penns Bread Upon the Waters Scholarship Fund.
Sally M. Kolker CW68, London, 1999.
Elizabeth B. Laliberte Nu68, Wethersfield, Conn., emeritus professor of nursing at the University of Connecticut; Jan. 13.
William F. Donovan C69, St. Davids, Pa., district manager for HomePlace; Oct. 8. He had previously served as a regional vice president for Filenes Basement.
Joseph P. Bender WEv71, Venice, Fla., March 9.
Roland Maas WG71, Titusville, N.J., a retired partner of PricewaterhouseCoopers, where he specialized in international tax matters; May 18.
Dr. Paul G. Schlansker D71, Lake Pleasant, N.Y., Feb. 18, 1999.
Henning Braune GAr72 GFA72, Hanover, Germany, Sept. 6.
Maj. Charles J. Nalbone WG72, Trenton, N.J., July 28.
Pamela Fox Emory GEd74, Berwyn, Pa., retired assistant director of Classes and Reunions in the Universitys Alumni Relations office; Sept. 9. Earlier she had served as recreation director for Downingtown and Middletown (Del.) near Philadelphia. A devoted golfer, she was the only American to play in the British Womens Amateur of 1967. She was a past president of the Pennsylvania Womens Golf Association and held several positions on U.S.G.A. committees. A freelance writer, she wrote for major golf magazines and newspapers, including The Philadelphia Inquirer and The Wall Street Journal.
Michael F. Wiley WG72, Indianapolis, a real estate developer; Sept. 13.
Katherine B. Roop G73, Exeter, N.H., Aug. 31.
Neil Owen G75, Rye, N.Y., Aug. 16.
Chris R. Hensel W77, Seattle, March 9.
Karen Fitzpatrick Polise Nu78 GNu82, Cherry Hill, N.J., a pediatric nurse and clinical instructor and lecturer at the School of Nursing; May 18. A pediatric nurse at the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia for 25 years, she had been part of its kidney-transplant team since 1993.
Jean-Michel R. Lestchiner WG81, London, Sept. 30.
Maureen F. Mawhinney-Hee CGS81 WEv90, Wayne, Pa., Sept. 2.
Brent K. Bovee C83, Stonington, Maine, an environmental geologist in Salt Lake City; Aug. 28.
William M. Watsloff WEv89 WEv93, Malvern, Pa., Sept. 2.
Michelle Feybusch Siegal MtE92, Albuquerque, N.M., April 4.
Dr. Neva Martin Abelson, Washington, emeritus professor of pathology at the University; Sept. 26. She had retired in 1971. A pediatrician, in the 1940s she co-founded the breakthrough test for Rh-antibodies. She wrote Topics in Blood Banking (1974).
Dr. John D. Alexander Jr. See Class of 1949.
Dr. Lester Baker. See Class of 1962.
Dr. Harry M. Burros. See Class of 1941.
Dr. S. Thomas Carter Jr. See Class of 1950.
Dr. Frank H. Eby Jr. See Class of 1969.
Joan Jenkins Englander, Swarthmore, Pa., a research specialist in the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics; June 17. She joined Penn in 1967 as a nurse technician, and for almost 40 years worked in the research laboratory together with her husband, Dr. S. Walter Englander. She specialized in the study of protein and nucleic acid molecules. She played a formative role in the development and application of hydrogen-exchange methodologies that are now used in laboratories throughout the world. And she directed an NIH grant for 35 years.
Dr. Josefa Barba Flexner, Philadelphia, a former research scientist in the Department of Anatomy; June 25. Born in Barcelona, she came to the U.S. during the Spanish Civil War, after having walked over the Pyrenees to meet Dr. Louis Flexner Hon74 who had traveled from the U.S.; they were married by the mayor of a tiny village and managed to sail back to America after several unsuccessful attempts to find a ship. She joined the research efforts of her husband, who was a world expert on memory, first at Johns Hopkins University, then at the Carnegie Institute and in 1951 at Penn, where her husband took the position of professor and chair of anatomy at Penns School of Medicine. She gave unassuming and constant support to the efforts and career of her husband working every day until 1996, when he died and she dissolved the laboratory.
Dr. Wilhelm Halbfass, Narberth, Pa., professor of Indian philosophy; May 25. He joined the faculty at Penn in 1973 as a visiting lecturer and became an associate professor the following year. He was promoted to full professor in 1982, serving in the Department of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies. His research was on the historical studies on the theory of karma and rebirth, ethics and ritualism in the Indian tradition, and the development of intellectual relations between India and the West. At the time of his death, he was preparing a textbook on Indian thought. A festschrift in his honor, Beyond Orientalism: The Work of Wilhelm Halbfass and its Impact on Indian and Cross-Cultural Studies, was published in 1997.
Dr. Alvin H. Johnson, Swarthmore, Pa., emeritus associate professor of music from 1962 until his retirement in 1982; March 17. He was also director of graduate studies for music, 1961-67. Dr. Johnson became the executive director of the American Musicological Society in 1978, a position he held until 1993. He co-wrote The Art of Music.
Dr. Samuel T. Lachs. See Class of 1946.
Albert G. Molloy Jr., Wayne, Pa., retired coach of mens squash and tennis teams; June 23. He joined Penn in 1959, and in 31 years as the squash coach achieved a record of 215-101, and a record of 219-138 in his 27 years as tennis coach. He coached 24 tennis players to either All-America honors or All-Ivy League honors, and three of his squash players won individual national titles. Albert Molloy was the author of the Sports Illustrated book on squash, and he also made the first instructional film for the sport. He was runner-up at the U.S. professional Squash Championships in 1955 and 1958. He retired from coaching in 1990, and was inducted into the National Intercollegiate Hall of Fame that year and into the Penn Tennis Hall of Fame in 1997.
Rev. Guy E. Morse, High Point, N.C., emeritus professor of veterinary medicine, June 10. He had taught at Penns large-animal facility in New Bolton from 1961 until 1977. He was ordained a Roman Catholic priest in 1981 and served as pastor of Immaculate Heart of Mary in High Point, retiring in 1990.
Dr. G. Christian Overton, Swarthmore, Pa., associate professor of genetics and the founding director of the Center for Bioinformatics; June 1. An internationally recognized pioneer in genomic research, he joined Penn in 1991 as a research associate professor of genetics in the School of Medicine. In 1997 he became an associate professor and established the center, an interdisciplinary venture between the Schools of Medicine, Arts and Sciences, and Engineering and Applied Science. He also held a secondary appointment in the Department of Computer and Information Science in SEAS.
Karen Marie F. Polise. See Class of 1978.
Dr. Howard Pollack, Jenkintown, Pa., emeritus professor of radiology and urology, died on Sept. 20. He joined Penn in 1977 as professor and director of uroradiology, and retired in 1993. A pioneer in the use of shock waves to crush kidney stones (lithotripsy), he was also prominent in the adoption of ultrasound to diagnose and treat diseases of the urinary and reproductive systems, and in the use of ultrasound-guided needles to take biopsies for the nonsurgical opening of blockages in the urinary tract and female reproductive system. Dr. Pollack wrote more than 200 scientific papers and Clinical Urography, considered the definitive textbook for the specialty. He served on the editorial boards of more than a dozen medical journals and helped found the Society of Uroradiology.
Dr. Virginia S. Ronk, Lansdowne, Pa., former assistant professor in the Medical School, Feb. 21. She had served as director of Riverview Nursing Home in Philadelphia, until retiring from there in 1989.
Dr. David W. C. Shen, Wilmington, Del., emeritus professor of systems engineering; June 1. He joined Penn as assistant professor of electrical engineering in 1957 and retired in 1983.
Copyright 2001 The Pennsylvania Gazette Last modified 1/2/01