Dr. Frank Niemtzow C25, Longboat Key, Fla., a retired physician; Nov. 23, 2002.
Kahlman Linker W26, Trenton, N.J., July 20, 1998.
Edith Peacock McDougald Ed26 G43, Philadelphia, May 8.
Dr. Leonard Carlitz C27 Gr30, Durham, N.C.; Sept. 17, 1999.
William J. Cox W27, McKeesport, Pa., a retired vice president of Coxs Department Stores, where he had worked for 56 years; March 26. He was president of the Daily News Publishing Co. from 1967 to 2002, and was a member and past president of the board of McKeesport Hospital, 1970-77. Devoted to the McKeesport area, he volunteered for many business, civic, and service organizations, and received an award for 25 years of service to the local YWCA.
Dr. Jeff Davis W27, New York, a retired physician; Dec. 16, 1999.
Joseph L. Dorf WEv27, Miami, Nov. 7, 2002.
Harriet Welsh Nelms Ed27, Elmira, N.Y., April 27, 2000.
Mildred Thorp Soast Ed27, Gwynedd, Pa., April 5. She was a board member of two homes for senior citizens and the Friends Hospital Ladies Auxiliary in Philadelphia.
Douglas T. Warner C27, New York, a prominent figure in Manhattan real estate; Jan. 8, 2000
Bernard Polen C28, Philadelphia, Dec. 17, 2000. His wife, Esther Brodsky Polen Ed31, died May 11, 2002.
Claire Gelber DH29, Mount Royal, N.J., April 12, 2000.
Reba Zaretsky Tollen Richardson Ed29 G34, Philadelphia, retired head of English at Overbrook High School; April 22. She taught English for more than 30 years in the Philadelphia school system. Following her retirement in the late 1960s, she helped organize and administer the Penn senior-associates program, in which retirees can audit classes: she continued to attend classes until her hearing failed shortly before her death. She had immigrated to the U.S. from Ukraine with her family in 1914 because her grandfather had urged, this child must go to a university: her mother had sold bootleg liquor to raise money for their passage. Her son is Robert W. Tollen C61 L64.
Dr. Raymond A. Taylor C29, Toms River, N.J., a retired physician; Dec. 21, 2001.
Samuel B. Victor C29 G31, San Mateo, Calif., Jan. 4, 2000.
Edward T. Cox W30, Meriden, Conn., Nov. 21, 1998. At Penn he was a member of Sigma Nu fraternity.
George F. Henschel W30, Westhampton Beach, N.Y., May.
George B. Milnor W30, Evanston, Ill., the retired vice president of Northern Trust Co., in Chicago; April 5. He began his career as a manager for Continental Grain Co., a steamship subsidiary. During the Second World War he served with the War Shipping Administration, managing Pacific Ocean charters. He then joined Northern Trust until his retirement. He served on the board of the Chicago YWCA and was chair of the Hadley School for the Blind.
Miriam Leach Rushe DH30, West Homestead, Pa., March 21, 2002.
David Schagrin W30, New York, Dec. 18. 1999.
Dr. Herbert Schimmel C30 Gr36, Nashua, N.H., March 29.
Carrie Bodine Smith Ed30, West Dennis, Mass., Nov. 9, 2002.
Mildred Yale Warden DH30, Las Cruces, N.M., June 2, 1998.
Isabel Gregory Wheeler DH30, Stratford, Conn., a retired dental hygienist; May 2.
Owen C. Baty Ar31, Springfield, Mo., April 4, 2000.
May Johnston Black DH31, Harpswell, Maine, Oct. 26, 2000.
William D. Bruce EE31, Lakewood, N.J., the retired executive vice president of Ford, Bacon & Davis Engineers, Inc.; April 6. He began his career with Consolidated Edison Co. of New York, where he worked until 1942, when he joined Ford, Bacon & Davis, retiring in 1973. He was a licensed professional engineer in 10 states. He also did volunteer work with the American Arbitration Association and the International Executive Service.
Albert J. Craig C31, Blue Bell, Pa., July 18, 2002.
Dr. Herbert F. Harms Jr. V31, Bradenton, Fla., a retired veterinarian; May 27, 2001.
Jayne Rauzi Logudic DH31, Glenside, Pa., Nov. 9, 2002.
Esther Brodsky Polen Ed31, Philadelphia, an attorney; May 11. Her husband, Bernard Polen C28, died Dec. 17, 2000.
Margaret J. Saylor Ed31, Philadelphia, Feb. 18, 2001.
John A. Stucker Jr. C31, Marmora, N.J., April 11, 1999.
E. Kathryn Clark Ed32 G33 GrEd67, Newtown Square, Pa., a retired vice-principal of Frankford High School in Philadelphia, who had served there from 1955 until her retirement in 1977; May 1. She began her career in 1933 as a mathematics teacher at the Philadelphia High School for Girls, later becoming head of mathematics there. She attended every Girls High reunion from 1933 until 2001.
Harold Halperin W32, Santa Barbara, Calif., the retired owner of a real estate school; April 9. He began his career by operating a chicken ranch and chicken markets in Santa Monica. He changed career paths by becoming an instructor in real estate for Gribin and Von Dial Realty in the Los Angeles area. After moving to Santa Barbara in 1964, he taught real estate for several firms until opening the Lumbleau Real Estate School, where he taught classes in real estate sales and broker licensing until his retirement in 1992.
Harry Lubern C32, Carteret, N.J., a retired principal of Minue High School in Carteret; April 9. He began his career as an attorney; following service in the U.S. Army during the Second World War, he became a teacher of law at Carteret High School. He then served as principal of Minue High School for 17 years, until his retirement.
Alexander C. Pintzuk W32, Miami, May 15, 1999.
Harold R. Prowell L32, Mechanicsburg, Pa., a retired attorney; March 25. President of the Dauphin County Bar Association Foundation for 50 years, he was also a former chair of the zoning board of Steelton, and had served as solicitor for Steelton-Highspire High School.
William M. Seaman W32, Scottsdale, Pa., the retired co-owner and operator of the familys business, Seaman Wholesale Candy and Tobacco Co.; April 15. He entered into business with his brother; following his brothers death in 1978, he and his son became partners until his semi-retirement in 1994. He had also been the sole owner and operator of Seaman Vending of Scottsdale until the late 1980s. He served on the board of H.C. Frick Hospital from 1967 to 1982, and as treasurer for Westmoreland-Fayette Sewage Authority from 1965 to 1995. In 1997 he was inducted into the Half-Century Club of the Pennsylvania Distributing Association for 50 years of service to the industry. During the Second World War he had served as a technical sergeant in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in Asia and the Philippines.
Mary L. Schmehl WEF32, Reading, Pa., April 10, 2001.
Dr. Eleanor R. Stein M32 GM36, Gwynedd, Pa., a retired physician; May 9, 2001.
Dr. Isadore L. Dordick C33 G37, Schenectady, N.Y., March 30.
Walter J. Ellis W33, Alameda, Calif. July 1, 2000.
Edward H. Ewall WEv33, Hallandale, Fla., Sept. 20, 2002.
Robert G. Horine W33, Columbia, S.C., a retired attorney for the South Carolina Employment Security Commission; March.
Isadore E. Krasno L33, Pottsville, Pa., a retired partner of the law firm of Krasno, Krasno & Quinn; Feb. 10, 2003. He was also a former workers compensation judge. During the Second World War he had served in the U.S. Navy.
Rose Badian Lepoff Ed33, Philadelphia, May 26.
Ruth Snyder Masavage B33, Perrysburg, Ohio, April 16.
Margery S. Middleton PSW33, Southbury, Conn., Jan. 26, 2002.
Leonard Schimmel CCT33, Philadelphia, March 21, 1999.
Robert C. Thomas WEF33, Elizabethtown, Pa., April 20, 1998.
Samuel M. Tollen W33 L36, Media, Pa., a retired attorney; Feb. 2, 2000.
Eugene K. Twining L33, Allentown, Pa., a retired attorney; May 14, 1998.
Max A. Winson G33, Philadelphia, Jan. 12, 2003.
Sherwood T. Bryan W34, Whiting, N.J., May 1, 2001.
Dorothy S. Eastburn PSW34, Wilmington, Del., Aug. 1, 1999.
Harry C. Kahn II W34, Gwynedd, Pa., May 4.
Florence Bregen Laub Ed34, Sarasota Fla., March 26. Her son is David H. Laub G88.
Flora Fender Lisi Ed34 G36, Philadelphia, March 31.
Dr. E. Byron Master C34 D36, Bedford, Mass., a retired oral surgeon; Jan. 17, 2003.
Dr. Raymond M. Ogawa GM34, Petoskey, Mich., a retired physician; Feb. 1, 1999.
Dr. George E. Outwater V34, Bozrah, Conn., a retired veterinarian; Jan. 21, 2002.
Dr. John R. Siegler C34 D37, Doylestown, Pa., a retired dentist; March 29. In 1936 he entered the dental practice of his father, which he then maintained for 49 years, retiring in 1985. He served with the U.S. Navy in the Pacific Theater during the Second World War.
Philip S. VanHook C34 L38, Holiday, Fla., July 14, 1998.
Benjamin S. Bennett WEV35, Elkins Park, Pa., a retired tax consultant; May 12. He began his career as head of the regional audit-training division of the IRS, instructing agents who worked in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. In 1955 he became deputy secretary for administration in the Pennsylvania Department of Welfare. He was appointed consultant to the governor and secretary of revenue on tax matters in 1956, a position he held until 1959. In 1958 he founded Bennett and Co., an accounting firm in Philadelphia, which merged with Deloitte Touche and Co. in 1978, when he retired. Following his retirement, he was a tax consultant for Roselon Industries Inc. in Philadelphia. He had served in the U.S. Navy at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard during the Second World War.
Dr. Morris Crane C35, Cherry Hill, N.J., a retired physician; Nov. 2, 2002.
Jane Beakley Down GEd35, Sept. 13, 2000.
Evelyn V. Eppley Ed35 GEd36, Mallorca, Spain, Dec. 25, 1998.
Dr. Albert C. Frosig C35 D37, Canandaigua, N.Y., a retired dentist; Aug. 27, 2002.
William R. Garr W35, Mays Landing, N.J., March 30. He retired from a lifelong career in the family-owned Vienna Restaurant in Atlantic City.
Judith Greenblatt Ed35, New York, May 13.
Dr. S. Jerome Greenfield C35, Milburn, N.J., an ophthalmologist in New Jersey for more than 50 years; March 6. He maintained a private practice in Newark, Maplewood, and Milburn before retiring in the late 1980s. During the Second World War he had served as a doctor with the U.S. Army Air Force in the U.K. and Iceland.
Paul A. Henry WEF35, Scranton, Pa., June 23, 2000.
Samuel H. Kaplan L35, Smyrna, Tenn., a retired attorney; Dec. 31, 2000.
Howard M. Lum W35, Chambersburg, Pa., March 1.
Saul R. Myers W35, New Hartford, N.Y.; Aug. 1, 2001.
Frances R. Parsons Ed35, Orlando, Fla., May 8, 2001.
Elizabeth M. Rosenthal DH35, Naples, Fla., Dec. 6, 2002.
Charlotte Glass Schweig FA35, Philadelphia, Pa., Jan. 3, 2002.
Alice Sutman Smith Ed35, Dunedin, Fla., a retired school psychologist; April 26. She taught special education for three years in Hershey, Pa., and Haddonfield, N.J., before becoming certified as a school psychologist. She was a charter member and former treasurer of St. Pauls Lutheran Church in Clearwater, Fla. At Penn she was a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority.
1936 | Dr. Franklin G. DuBuy V36, Crawfordville, Fla., a retired veterinarian who was a pioneer in the field of veterinary pharmaceuticals; April 10. He had taught bacteriology at Penn. During his long career he maintained private veterinary practices in Kentucky and Florida. He also had worked for the Florida Department of Agriculture. In retirement, he remained active as an expert horse trainer and leather craftsman.
Dr. Walter O. Goehring M36, Verona, Pa., a surgeon at hospitals in the Pittsburgh area for more than 50 years; Dec. 28, 2002. He had an extensive surgical practice in the East End, at the old Columbia and old Passavant hospitals. He remained active as a surgeon until his early seventies, and for several years after that maintained office hours for follow-up with patients. His daughter-in-law recalled that, He was always later for Thanksgiving dinner because he was doing surgery. At various times Dr. Goehring served as president of the medical staffs at Columbia and Passavant.
Julia Reisman Kissileff Ed 36, Rydal, Pa., April 3. She was the widow of Dr. Alfred Kissileff V33.
Donald D. MacKinnon W36, Doylestown, Pa., Dec. 19, 2002.
William C. McIntosh W36, North Stonington, Conn., a retired salesman and manager for IBM Corp.; March 25. He began his career with IBM in Washington in 1941. He served with the U.S. Naval Reserve during the Second World War, and scheduled the Navys ship-building effort for the Bureau of Ships. He returned to IBM in 1945, working in a variety of locations including overseas. Following retirement in 1971 he built a home on a property in North Stonington which his father had developed into a park and nature sanctuary; he and his wife maintained it and made it available to visitors. At Penn he was a member of Kappa Alpha fraternity.
Julius W. Sheppard WEv36, Scotch Plains, N.J., May 6.
Jerome B. Weinberg W36, Hackensack, N.J., March 22, 2002.
1937 | Anthony Della Rezza Ed37 GEd38, East Norriton, Pa., a retired high-school language teacher for Lower Merion district; Feb. 11, 2003. He taught English, French, Spanish, and Italian at various times in his career, using materials gathered from his many travels abroad to enhance the educational experience of his students. His interest in all things Penn, from academics to sports, included his frequent wearing of red and blue clothing, according to his wife. He had served in the U.S. Army during the Second World War.
Thomas J. Egenrieder WEF37, Mechanicsburg, Pa., Jan. 13, 1999.
Dr. Lloyd R. Forcey C37, Jersey Shore, Pa., Sept. 15, 1998.
Michael J. Hrinko WEF37, Nanticoke, Pa., July 11, 2002.
Virginia Wolf Jones CW37, Hilton Head Island, S.C., April 3.
Dr. Mary Jane Peaks Polk CW37 D39, Eugene, Ore., a retired orthodontist who was one of the first women to graduate from dental school; Jan. 14, 2002. She had a private orthodontic practice in Garden City, N.Y., from 1960 until retirement in 1990. The New York Dental Society made her a Life Member in 1981. Also a songwriter, Dr. Polk had one of her pieces recorded by the Chordettes in 1954.
Robert H. Robertson Jr. W37, Salisbury, Md., Jan. 29, 2000.
William L. Van Alen Ar37, North Palm Beach, Fla., co-founder of Carroll Grisdale & Van Alen, a Philadelphia architectural firm; April 24. Founded in 1946, the firm designed the Wilson Hall at the Moore College of Art & Design, and portions of Philadelphia International Airport. He remained a partner for 25 years. Elected to the board of the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia in 1949, he went on to serve as hospital president and chair during his 54-year tenure. He was president of the American Flag House and Betsy Ross Memorial, and served on various other boards, including the Philadelphia Cultural Affairs Council. In 1982 he was appointed to serve on the National Council of the National Endowment of the Arts. He was the founding president of the U.S. Court Tennis Association and a two-time doubles champion in court tennis. During the Second World War he worked in Washington and Italy for the Office of Strategic Services. His son is William L. Van Alen Jr. C57 and his grandson is James L. Van Alen Jr. C89; granddaughter Alexandra Van Alen Walling CGS82 is married to Dr. Thomas G. Frazier M68 GM75.
Robert C. Wenrich Sr. WEG37, Wyomissing, Pa., the founder and president of Wenrich Associates Insurance for 50 years; May 6. He was former president of the Reading-Berks Insurance Agents, the Reading chapter of the Charter Property Underwriters, and the Northern Mutual Insurance Co. of Ephrata. He continued to work for Wenrich Associates until his death.
Martin Becker Ed38, Fair Haven, N.J., March 23, 2001.
John A. Clement Jr. W38, Hollidaysburg, Pa., a retired attorney; Jan. 28, 2002.
Fred K. Darragh Jr W38, Little Rock, Ark., March 20.
Dr. Charles A. Grim D38, Wyomissing, Pa., a retired dentist who maintained a practice practiced in Reading for 50 years; April 14. He was past-president of the Dental Association of Berks County and a past vice-president of the Fourth District Dental Society. He was instrumental in introducing fluoridation to Reading during the 1960s. And he was a trustee of the Mountain Springs Association.
Anabel D. Maxwell PSW38, Catonsville, Md., Sept. 11, 1998.
John B. Price C38, Port Charlotte, Fla., Feb. 5, 2003. He was a retired employee of the U.S. Treasury.
Doris Bishop Kannapel Shortlidge Ed38 GEd39, Haverford, Pa., May 15.
John C. Stein W38, Orwigsburg, Pa., Jul 23, 2000.
Rev. Wendell B. Tamburro C38, Eugene, Ore., a retired Episcopal priest who served parishes in Long Island and Highland Falls, N.Y., and Yantic, Conn.; March 24. Ordained in 1942, he taught for several years at the Malcolm Gordon School in Garrison, N.Y. He also served as chaplain at the Uncas-on-Thames Rehabilitation Hospital in Norwich, Conn. He was chaplain-general for the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution in 1987 and 1988.
Ruth Harding Thomson PSW38, Doylestown, Pa., Jan. 17, 1999.
Mary Ellen Ballard Timm Ed38 GEd40, Hockessin, Del., June 23, 2001.
Roberta E. Townsend PSW38, Kennett Square, Pa., Aug. 24, 1999.
Kalman Asch ChE39, Flushing, N.Y., May 29, 1998.
Dr. Percy Paul Davis D39, Portland, Ore., a retired oral surgeon who had served as dental director of the Oregon Board of Health and the Multnomah County health department; April 25.
Dr. Ralph C. Fish V39, Saint Petersburg, Fla., a retired veterinarian; March 7, 2002.
Louise Stringer Gibson DH39, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., a retired dental hygienist; April 7. With a passion for theater and musical comedy, she maintained a strong friendship with Gene Kelly and his family.
Dr. Jerome M. Glassman C39 G42, Briarcliff Manor, N.Y., a retired pharmacologist and director of clinical research; April 21. He worked as a senior scientist in pharmacology for the FDA in Washington, 1943-45. From 1951 to 1962 he headed pharmacology at Wyeth Labs in Philadelphia; he was director of biological research at USV-Revlon in Yonkers, N.Y., 1962-69; director of clinical research and pharmacology at Wampole Labs, Stamford, Conn., 1969-75, and director of clinical investigation for Carter-Wallace, Cranbury, N.J., 1975-1988. He was also a lecturer at the Womens Medical College (now Drexel University Medical School) and an associate professor at the old Hahnemann Medical School in Philadelphia and at New York Medical College. Dr. Glassman was the author and co-author of numerous scientific papers and abstracts on such subjects as the toxicology of DDT, penicillin, and other antibiotics, and anti-diabetic agents. He also held patents for chemotherapeutic agents. In 1969 he was recognized by Esquire magazine as one of the nations most important doctors in pharmacology. His professional awards include a citation from the U.S. Office of Scientific Research and Development. His children are Lorna R. Glassman C81 and Dr. Martin J. Glassman D83.
F. Lyle Holmes C39, East Kane, Pa., June 13, 2001.
Frieda L. Hurlbrink GEd39, Lansdowne, Pa., May 1, 2000.
William G. Maloney W39, New Canaan, Conn., a Wall Street investment banker; May 5. He began his career at Hemphill-Noyes, where he went on to become managing director and head of corporate finance; he held that position through various mergers of that company, finally serving in a senior role with Shearson Lehman Hutton. He served on a number of corporate, educational, and hospital boards. He was a past chair of the finance committee for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport. He helped found St. Camillus Health Center in Stamford, where he also served on the board.
James H. Stettler WEF39, Carlisle, Pa., a retired sales representative for Textile Chemical; April 26. As a major in the U.S. Air Force, he was recalled to active duty and served for two years during the Korean War.
Helen Uhler Thomas DH39, Middlesex, N.J., Sept. 17, 1999.
Charles Robertson Ward WEv49, Palm Beach, Fla., the manager of the Philadelphia office of Xerox Corp. for more than 30 years, until his retirement; May 21. He also spent five years as president of Xerox Bahamas Ltd. And he was the former operator of the Jupiter Ocean and Racquet Club.
Dr. Edwin T. Williams ChE39, Houghton, Mich., the retired head of chemistry and chemical engineering at Michigan Tech; March 23. He taught at Carnegie Tech and Penn State before joining the faculty at Michigan Tech, where he became department head in 1960. In 1983 he was inducted into Michigans Chemical Engineering Hall of Fame. His friend and classmate, Theodore S. Matter ChE39, called him one of the outstanding graduates of Penn in 1939 His many achievements, his humor, and loyalty make him a worthy son of Penn.
Paul H. Williams C39, Point Pleasant Beach, N.J., Feb. 22, 2003.
1940 | Dr. Clyde I. Boyer Jr. V40, Tucson, Ariz., a retired veterinarian who had been head of the veterinary diagnostic laboratory at Cornell University; April 12. He served as a colonel in the U.S. Army Medical Corps during the Second World War.
Harold E. Bush WG40, Marion, N.Y., the retired president of the First National Bank of Marion; May 4. He was past president of the Marion Rotary Club and past commodore of the Sodus Bay Yacht Club. And he had served in the U.S. armed forces during the Second World War.
Maxwell D. Coe W40, Sarasota, Fla., Jan. 4, 2003.
Capt. Edward G. Cunney CE40, Falls Church, Va., Jan. 11, 2003.
Gladys Bowie Duckett Ed40, Philadelphia, March 1, 2002.
Richard R. Gladish GEd40, Bryn Athyn, Pa., March 1.
Jeanne Black Glascock Ed40 GEd41, Jackson Heights, N.Y., Nov. 23, 2001.
Dr. William W.L. Glenn GM40, Peterborough, N.H., chief of cardiovascular surgery at Yale University from 1948 until his retirement in 1975; March 10. During the Second World War he had served as a field surgeon in the U.S. Army Medical Corps. In 1954 he developed the technique which became known as the Glenn shunt, used to bypass malformed right chambers of the heart, to treat blue babies, infants whose heart defects decrease the flow of blood through their lungs. In the early 1950s he co-invented an artificial heart, using pieces from a childs Erector set; this device is on display at the Smithsonians National Museum of American History. Dr. Glenn introduced improvements to pacemakers and wrote a standard text, Glenns Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, now in its sixth printing. He was president of the American Heart Association from 1979 to 1981.
David Hafler C40, Philadelphia, May 25.
Kenneth H. McClure W40, Charlottesville, Va., Oct. 13, 2002.
Richard E. McDevitt W40 L43, Malvern, Pa., a retired longtime partner of the Philadelphia law firm of Montgomery, McCracken, Walker & Rhoads who helped establish the Pennsylvania Judicial Inquiry and Review Board; April 11. After helping to establish the board, which drafted rules governing judges conduct and issued advisory opinions to judges on issues from courtroom behavior to off-the-bench politicking, he served as its executive director for 16 years, retiring in 1986. In 1985 he was placed under state police protection after threats he received following the boards recommended removal of a judge who had handled a controversial libel suit. An avid equestrian since childhood, he was president of the American Horse Show Association for more than 20 years and the Devon Horse Show from 1965 to 1991. In 1978, as head of these organizations, he approved a rule requiring that show horses be tested for reserpine, a powerful tranquilizer, then thought to be exclusive to horse racing. After 23 owners received citations for using the drug, his life was threatened and his barn set on fire. He never backed down, according to his son, Wade, because he wanted a safer environment for horses. A former president of the U.S. Equestrian Federation, he served on the appeals jury for equestrian events at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles.
Anna M. McDonald CW40, Pearl River, N.Y., a travel agent for Rockland Travel Bureau in Nanuet, N.Y., until her retirement in 1992; May 7. She volunteered for Meals on Wheels.
George H. McGovern Jr. W40, Havertown, Pa., Oct. 9, 2002.
Dr. Harry R. Newman GM40, Hamden, Conn., a retired physician; March 19, 2002.
Bertrand J. Oliver WEF40, Tempe, Ariz., Aug. 14, 2002.
Dr. Robert H. Pilgram M40, Frederick, Md., a retired surgeon who had maintained a general surgery there from 1950 until his retirement in 1981; April 10. In 1941 he entered the U.S. Army Medical Corps as a first lieutenant, serving at Camp Tyson in Paris, Tenn., then as medical officer of four prisoner-of-war camps in South Carolina. And he served on the staff of the 142nd General Hospital (University of Maryland) in India. At Penn he was a member of Sigma Nu fraternity.
Stephen V.C. Schuyler W40, Bethesda, Md., Jan. 22, 2000.
Dr. Frank W. Sherwood C40 D43, New Canaan, Conn., a retired dentist; May 8, 2002.
Inez McGlone Spies DH40, Boonton, N.J., April 29, 2001.
Dr. Robert S. Taylor Gr40, Newtown Square, Pa., March 18.
John D. Wechsler W40, Pascagoula, Miss., Oct. 18, 2000.
David Wexler WEv40, Philadelphia, Aug. 15, 1999.
Raymond S. Yoder WEv40, Jenkintown, Pa., Feb. 19, 2003.
1941 | Samuel H. Ballam Jr. WEv41 CCC50, Bryn Mawr, Pa., honorary trustee of the University, and retired president and CEO of Fidelcor, Inc., and Fidelity Bank; Nov. 13. In the Second World War he served in the U.S. Air Force Quartermaster Corps; commissioned a second lieutenant in 1943, he was discharged in 1946 as a captain. After the war he returned to Penn for his bachelors. During the Korean War he served as a captain in the Air Research and Development Command. Samuel Ballam joined the old Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Company (now Fidelity Bank) as a messenger in 1936, and then occupied various positions in its investment division from 1938 to 1954. Elected assistant to the president in 1955, he held successively important positions until he was elected president in 1971 and became CEO in 1975. He occupied similar positions in Fidelcor, Inc., until he retired in 1978. A trustee of the University for 32 years (retiring in February 2001), he had served on the executive, budget and finance, audit, and long-range planning committees, and he was a member of the Universitys investment board. A trustee of the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center for 23 years, he was chair of its board for 15 years; and he led its development committee as chair emeritus. Long-concerned with improving the lot of those in need, he also served as chair of the overseers of the School of Social Work. Samuel Ballam committed himself to Penn even further as president of what was then called the General Alumni Society and is now Penn Alumni. In 1967 he received the Wharton Evening School Distinguished Award of Merit and a year later, Penn Alumnis highest accolade, the Alumni Award of Merit. His daughter, Barbara Ballam Stephens CW68, is married to Dr. Richard B. Stephens C68 G68.
Esther R. Baral PSW41, Pikesville, Md., Aug. 27, 2002.
Dr. Mary Redner Eichman CW41 M45, Merion, Pa., a retired physician; April 24.
C. Bradford Fraley PSW41, Media, Pa., Aug. 24, 1999.
Dr. Henry F. J. Gowaty GM41, Gadsden, Ala., a retired physician; April 4, 1998.
B. Mildred Grater GEd41, Harleysville, Pa., Feb. 2, 1999.
Saul Greenstein EE41, Sonoma, Calif., the founder of Inland Molasses Co., a shipping and distribution business on the Mississippi River; April 9. In search of new challenges, he sold the firm in 1973 and moved to San Francisco, where he developed several manufacturing facilities.
Solomon Lasof G41, Lancaster, Pa., a retired physicist and engineer for the former RCA Corp.; March 18. He had also worked for the former ISC/Ferranti Inc.
Ivor H. MacFarlane W41, Moorestown, N.J., Sept. 5, 2001.
Doris Fanslau Pfeil CW41, San Antonio, Tex., Dec. 25, 1999.
Joseph A. Romig L41, Houghton, Mich., a retired attorney; Nov. 23, 2001.
Gertrude Wurster Schoen DH41, Brookfield, Conn., a retired dental hygienist; March 5. She worked with her husband, Dr. George J. Schoen Jr. C40, in his dental practice in Danbury for many years.
Catherine R. Sheehy GEd41, Philadelphia, Feb. 4, 1999.
1942 | Edward W. Beetem W42, St. Simons Island, Ga., March 12. At 6 8 in height, he held the national shot-put record in 1941 and 1942. At Penn he was a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity and the Varsity Club.
Zola Ressel Bowers GEd42, Lancaster, Pa., a teacher and principal for the Lancaster school district for 40 years; May 2. She began her career as a teacher in 1934 and later became an elementary-school principal, serving until her retirement in 1974.
Jane Cassedy OT42, San Francisco, Jan. 14, 2003.
Norma Gilbert Farr CW42, Stuart, Fla., May 4. She donated property to the Somerset County Park Commission in New Jersey, which is now part of the Sourland Mountain Preserve. She was also a trustee of the Linus R. Gilbert Charitable Foundation.
Richard W. Spivak W42, Nantucket, Mass., a retired attorney; July 15, 2002.
Dr. John W. Trenton M42, Somerset, Pa., a retired physician; May 12, 1999.
Robert J. Weir WEv42, Bryn Mawr, Pa., May 12.
Stephen N. Yanoshak WEF42, Exeter, Pa., a co-owner of his familys business, Hanover Beauty Supply Co., for more than 40 years; March 20. His public appointments, spanning over 30 years, include commissioner of Hanover from 1953 to 1965; Luzerne County controller, 1966-72; commissioner of Luzerne County, 1973-84. And he was chair of the local branch of the Republican Party.
Dr. Victor E. Caruso D43, Yarmouth Port, Mass., a retired dentist; July 17. He maintained a private dental practice in Wyckoff, N.J., and served on the staff of Hackensack and Valley hospitals. He had been a major in the U.S. Army 62nd Field Hospital in Europe during the Second World War.
Dr. Carlos Guzman Acosta C43 GM50, San Juan, P.R., a retired physician; March 2002.
Dr. Theodore S. Hauschka Gr43, Bremen, Maine, Nov. 17, 1999.
John G. Hoffstot Jr. W43, Boca Raton, Fla., May 24, 2002.
Marilyn Steinfield Lesser CW43, Austin, Tex., a retired reference librarian at Adelphi University; March 27. She also served as a programs director and president of the Garden City, N.Y., chapter of the American Association of University Women. Her son is Wayne Lesser C70.
Edward W. McCaskey C43, Des Plaines, Ill., former board chair of the Chicago Bears; April 8. Following graduation, he served in the U.S. Army during the Second World War, for which he was awarded a Bronze Star and the Combat Infantry Badge. In 1943 he married Virginia Halas, daughter of George Halas, the founder of the Chicago Bears football team. He became vice president and treasurer of the Bears in 1967, a position he held for 17 years. In 1983 he became chair, until his retirement in 1984, when he turned the team over to his son. According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, in the early 1960s McCaskey further integrated the Bears when he asked players Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo to room together, making it one of the first NFL teams to so do.
Dr. Virginia Graham Mears M43, Lancaster, Pa., March 9.
Britton H. Miller WEv43, North Andover, Mass., a retired certified public accountant; April 27. He spent his career at Lybrand, Ross Brothers and Montgomery, now part of PricewaterhouseCoopers, and retired in 1984. An avid golfer since childhood, he was a past president of the St. Davids Golf Club in Wayne, Pa., where he won the club championship in 1952 and held the course record of 65 for many years. He participated in the prestigious Crump Cup at the Pine Valley Golf Club for 20 years, and played in the international Seniors Tournament in Gleneagles, Scotland.
Dr. C. Arnold Moorehead V43, Bedford, Pa., a retired veterinarian; March 27.
Dr. Benjamin B. Rubin D43, Monmouth Beach, N.J., a retired orthodontist who had maintained a practice for 38 years; April 1. He was secretary-treasurer of the dental society of Monmouth-Ocean County for more than 40 years. His son is Dr. Charles M. Rubin C75 GM82.
George D. Thomas ME43, Hagerstown, Md., Nov. 26, 2002.
Robert K. Wallach W43, New York, March 23, 1999.
1944 | Dr. Robert E. Allen M44, Shawnee Mission, Kan., a retired surgeon who had served as chair of surgery and president of the medical staff at St. Lukes Hospital, Kansas City; April 3. He was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during the Second World War and was attached to the Marines during the Korean War. As an undergraduate at the University of Kansas, Dr. Allen had played basketball for his father, legendary coach Phog Allen, and was selected twice to the All Big 6 Conference team and to the 1940 NCAA All Tournament team.
Marjory Moore Brooks Ed44, Tequesta, Fla., a retired teacher; April 18.
Helen Dolores Novak Chatfield CW44, Riverside, Calif., April 4.
Thomas E. Moon W44, Crystal, Minn., Sept. 19, 2001.
Gary Steven GME44, Lynnwood, Wash., June 21, 2001.
Walter F. Raab W45, the retired chair and chief executive office of AMP, Inc.; Camp Hill, Pa., April 3. His career at AMP spanned more than 42 years, during which he held other executive positions, including chief financial officer and vice-chair; he was elected chair and CEO in 1982, and held these positions until his retirement in 1990; he remained a director until 1995. During his tenure there, sales and earnings more than doubled. He served on the boards of numerous financial institutions and the YMCA. His gift to the Holy Spirit Hospital in Camp Hill, on whose board he served, provided the Walter F. Raab Atrium to their recently opened heart center.
Joseph G. Scott C45, Hebron, Md., Dec. 19, 2002.
Kenneth V. Horner G46, Pine Beach, March 14.
Sol R. Kobb WG46, Houston, Tex., a retired certified public accountant and partner in BDO Seidman May 14.
Charles G. Nicholson WEv46, Hatboro, Pa., a former Pennsylvania state representative and township commissioner of Upper Moreland County; April 13. He began his career with the wholesale carpet firm of Glanz, Behm and Herring, Inc., founded by his grandfather in the 1890s. He and his brother were co-owners, and he served as company president. In the early 1960s, he was elected to the board of commissioners in Upper Moreland county; in 1964, he was elected to the state House of Representatives, serving three terms. During his tenure there, he was active on issues concerning student transportation, infrastructure, and roads. A member of various committees, he served as vice-chair of the committee on law and order. In 1970 he ended his career in the House, citing increasing business responsibilities as his reason for not seeking reelection. He remained politically active locally, however, holding a number of offices. After selling the family business in 1976, he became a certified financial planner with FinPlan Group in Wayne, Pa., retiring in 1996.
Dr. Ralph Rhind GM46, Hermosa Beach, Calif., a retired obstetrician-gynecologist who had maintained a private practice in Manhattan Beach and Torrance; Feb. 18, 2003. He became chief of staff at the Little Company of Mary Hospital in 1963.
Jack E. Sanft C46, Havertown, Pa., owner and president of Harvard the Tie Guys, a necktie distributorship; Dec. 16, 2002. At Penn he was a Mungerman, a varsity letter holder, and a member of the varsity football squad in 1944. In his later years he enjoyed taking George Munger Ed33 to lunch, according to his family, who still have his old leather football helmet. His friend Bernie Lemonick W51 noted, Jack Sanft was a kind and considerate man. If by chance you admired his necktie, he would immediately remove it and hand it to you. I have more where this one came from, he would say with a smile. Jack was proud of his companys products.
Gloria E. Seitz GEd46, Vineland, N.J., a retired teacher; Dec. 14, 2002. She began her career as an assistant professor at Rider College, Lawrenceville, N.J., where she taught for 10 years, and went on to teach at Princeton High School for the next 25 years. She served as president of the Princeton Business and Professional Womens Club, Delta Kappa Gamma sorority, and the association of New Jersey Cooperative Office Education Coordinators.
Margaret Filgate Smith CW46, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., May 16. She was co-producer, with her husband, of the New Canaan Summer Theater in Connecticut from 1971 to 1983. She also won a number of prizes for her sculpture in shows in Stamford, Darien, and New Canaan.
Everett J. Steinberg W46, a retired textile-industry executive, March 8. His son is Jeremy Steinberg W78.
Dr. Margaret Bailey Tinkcom Gr46, Swarthmore, Pa., historian of the Philadelphia Historical Commission from 1956 to 1974; Nov. 30, 2002. She began her career as editor for the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, and the Institute of Early American History and Culture in Williamsburg, Va. Among her publications are the book Historic Germantown (written with her husband, Harry M. Tinkcom) and a chapter in Philadelphia: A 300-Year History.
Donald J. Blue W47, Greenbrae, Calif., March 29, 2001.
Dr. Winfred O. Bryson Jr. Gr47, Baltimore, retired professor and chair of economics at Morgan State University department and founder of a bank that served African American community; March 18. Professor of economics from 1937 to 1984, he served as chair from 1947 to 1969 and 1971-72. In the 1940s he began fighting financial inequities in the life-insurance industry, discovering that large companies would not write the same kinds of policies in African American neighborhoods as they did in white ones. His privately printed dissertation, Negro Life Insurance Companies, addressed this nationwide issue and led to his appearing as a witness before a federal investigative body, which removed those barriers. A decade later Dr. Bryson took on the issue of the reluctance of mainstream banks to serve black depositors and loan applicants, and in 1957 established the Advance Federal Savings and Loan Association, now Advance Bank, in a Baltimore rowhouse. It also served black churches, loaning them money when others would not. Almost on any corner where a black church exists, Advance Federal has been a significant part of its life, said a retired Baltimore pastor. He lent money to them. While others thought they were a real problem, he saw them as an opportunity. Dr. Bryson, who spent most of his life in education and serving the financial needs of the African American community, served on the boards of the Afro-American Newspaper Co., the North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Co., and the Maryland Savings and Loan Service Corp.
Dr. Jay H. Davidson GM47, Haverford, Pa., a retired specialist in internal medicine and gastroenterology; March 27. For many years he was director of medical education and the intern program at St. Lukes and Childrens Medical Center in Philadelphia; he served as medical director there in the early 1990s, when it became Girard Medical Center. He and he was a member of Penns faculty, and had served on the staffs of the Albert Einstein Medical Center, Episcopal and Graduate hospitals. He was also a former chief of internal medicine at Haverford Hospital and medical director of the Uptown Home for the Aged in Philadelphia in the 1960s. Dr. Davidson maintained a practice in Philadelphia for 49 years, where he was a specialist in gastrointestinal endoscopy when the diagnostic test was more technically difficult. After retiring in 1999, he reviewed medical disability appeals for the Social Security Administration until 2002.
Dr. Joseph J. Eckert GM47, Akron, Ohio, a retired physician; June 11, 2002.
Dr. Robert A. Nelson V47, Oakdale, Calif., a retired veterinarian; May 4.
Nisso Sion WG47, Istanbul, Jan. 28, 2002.
Ann M. Smith G47, Atlantic City, Jan. 20, 2001.
Marguerite Mary Gallichio Tobia CW47, Penn Valley, Pa., May 12.
Dr. Earl G. Wolf GM47, Gainesville, Fla., a retired physician; April 9, 2001.
Isabel Sanberg Carlin Ed48, Altadena, Calif., a retired teacher; March 25. In the early 1950s she taught foreign languages in Los Angeles high schools. After raising a family, she earned credentials in early childhood education, and began a second career as a pre-school teacher. Following her retirement in 1990, she continued to work as a substitute teacher.
William T. Davis WEv48, Newtown Square, Pa., March 11, 2002.
Donald G. Eckard C48, Morton, Pa., Sept. 22, 2000.
Dr. Elmo E. Erhard GM48, Boca Raton, Fla., retired chief of surgery and former chief of staff of Clearfield Hospital in Pennsylvania; April 22. After graduation, he served as assistant chief of surgery at the U.S. Veterans Association Hospital in Pittsburgh before being appointed to Clearfield. He was a past-president of the Medical Society of Clearfield County, and in 1972 served as president of the Surgical Society of Pittsburgh. Following his retirement to Florida in 1977, he became active with the local Shriners, examining crippled and burned children and doing fundraising.
Margery Baird Hobbs CW48, Chestnut Hill, Mass., March.
William S. Kapp W48, Boca Raton, Fla., a retired partner in the Albert Kapp Furniture Co. in New York state; Feb. 13, 2003. He did volunteer work for the Sloan Kettering Institute, American Red Cross, local Florida hospitals, and the sheriffs office of Palm Beach County.
Doris Nett Mannion DH48, Roswell, N.M., Feb. 17, 2003.
Francis E. Marshall L48, Bryn Mawr, Pa., retired senior partner of the law firm he founded, Marshall, Dennehey, Warner, Coleman & Goggin; May 24.
Cletus O. Martin C48, Plainfield, N.J., vice-president of sales at the Georgia Kaolin Co. for 26 years, before retiring in 1988; March 21. An aviator for the U.S. Navy during the Second World War, he was a captain with the Naval Reserves and the VF931 Fighter Squadron until 1974.
Philip A. McMunigal Jr. L48, Media, Pa., a retired attorney; Dec. 12, 1998.
Leo Poulos EE48, Tucson, Ariz., a retired electrical engineer; April 2. In retirement, he followed his passion for jazz music by playing in a senior band there.
Joseph T. Purcell WEv48, Philadelphia, a retired insurance executive; Feb. 17, 2003. He was employed for 40 years by the Home Life Insurance Co. of America. After it was taken over by Peoples Life Insurance Co. of Washington, D.C., he became an associate actuary, and subsequently retired as a vice president of Peoples Life in 1984. In 1976 he received Penns Alumni Award of Merit. During the Second World War he served as a volunteer with the U.S. Coast Guard on the Philadelphia waterfront.
Dr. Barbara M. Sachs GM48, Wynnewood, Pa., a retired physician and surgeon who practiced in Philadelphia and later Narberth; May 20. She opened her practice as a general physician in Philadelphia in 1945, moving to Narberth during the 1960s. She and her associate, the late Dr. Sylvia A. Mazer Ed33, were considered pioneers in caring for female patients almost 60 years ago. During the last 15 years of her career, Dr. Sachs was a surgeon at Misericordia Hospital, now Mercy Hospital of Philadelphia.
Alan H. Servin L48, Naples, Fla., Aug. 22, 2002.
E. Eugene Shelley L48, York, Pa., an attorney at Fluhrer, Medill, Shelley & Kauffman for more than 50 years; March 28. He was also a 50-year member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association and the York County Bar, for which he had served as president and secretary. He was a member of the board of Ursinus College, which awarded him an honorary degree in 1987, and a past secretary and trustee emeritus of the Historical Society of York. He had been a director of the Mental Health Center of York County. During the Second World War he served with the Headquarters 24th U.S. Army Corps, earning the rank of master sergeant; he participated in the invasion of Leyte and Okinawa, and was awarded a Bronze Star in the Leyte campaign. He also served occupation duty in Korea.
Katherine B. Stewart PSW48, Piedmont, Calif., June 20, 2001.
Terry M. Brookins G49, Houston, Tex., May 11, 1998.
Logan M. Bullitt III C49, Ambler, Pa., Feb. 2, 2003.
Francis J. Cooney C49, Havertown, Pa., a retired building-materials salesman and former football coach; May 1. At Penn he played football and was captain of the baseball team that, according to his wife, once faced a Yale squad featuring first baseman George H. W. Bush, later the U.S. President. During the 1950s he worked as an assistant football coach at Roman Catholic, West Catholic, and Monsignor Bonner high schools. He was inducted into the Pennsylvania Football Hall of Fame in 1996. He retired as a salesman in the late 1970s. He had served in the U.S. Army in Italy and North Africa during the Second World War.
Jane McKnight Diamond DH49, Hatfield, Pa., Jan. 17, 2001.
Dr. Charles H. Dow GM49, Arlington, Tex., a retired physician; July 19, 2002.
Fred Ford W49, Saint Cloud, Fla., June 29, 2000.
Genevieve Dunleavy Gallagher Ed49, East Norriton, Pa., April 19.
Dr. Jane Hinton V49, Upper Marlboro, Md., a retired veterinarian; April 9.
Roger L. Miller C49, Wyomissing, Pa., Feb. 4, 2003.
Dr. James E. Nixon M49 GM55, Philadelphia, the retired chief of orthopedic surgery at Graduate Hospital, who from 1960 to 1986, also served as team physician for the Philadelphia Eagles and as orthopedic consultant for the Pennsylvania Ballet; May 5. He was an orthopedic surgeon at Sheppard Air Force Base in Texas for the U.S. Air Force from 1952 to 1960. He then became chief of orthopedic surgery at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Philadelphia, where he remained until 1976. During part of this time he also worked on the staff at Childrens and Graduate hospitals before becoming chief of orthopedic surgery at Graduate Hospital, a position he held from 1969 to 1992, when he retired. Until his retirement he was also the physician for several Philadelphia-area college football teams. Dr. Nixon was always 10 years ahead of other surgeons, according to Dr. John R. Gregg GM77, an orthopedic surgeon at Childrens Hospital and the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and Dr. Nixons former partner. He was the first real sports-medicine specialist in the country. The author of numerous scientific papers, he was a prolific medical lecturer who continued to speak and consult following his retirement.
Dr. Salvatore A. Pepe GM49, Ocean City, N.J., a retired U.S. Air Force colonel and specialist in otorhinolaryngology; April 7. He began his career in 1940 as a lieutenant and medical-company commander in the New Jersey National Guard at Fort Dix. During the Second World War he served as a captain with the 41st Division of the U.S. Army in the South Pacific. He was recalled to active duty during the Korean War, where he was a captain in the U.S. Air Force. After returning to private practice as an ear, nose, and throat specialist, he remained on reserve status and was assigned to McQuire Air Force Base. He was promoted to colonel and served at the U.S. Air Force Hospital in Dover, Del. He remained in private practice and on the staff of both Trenton General and St. Francis hospitals for over 40 years. Retiring in 1978, he moved to Santa Monica, Calif., where he volunteered 5,000 hours at the Veterans Hospital there.
Edward C. Quin III C49, Oreland, Pa., May 24.
George Washington Sinner W49, Milford, Del., a certified public accountant and agent with the IRS in Philadelphia and Camden, N.J., for 30 years, until his retirement in 1985; April 3. He was a direct descendant of Mary Ball, the mother of George Washington. As a major in the U.S. Army Air Corps during the Second World War, he served as a navigator on B-17s based in England, and was shot down twice over Europe.
Robert D. Slockett C49, Philadelphia, a retired senior research chemist for the DuPont Co., April 22. He began his career at there in 1952, and received six patents for various polyester inventions until his retirement in 1981. He then became technical director of SGA Chemical Industries, 1982-84, and taught physics for Delaware Technical and Community College. He served on the education board of Brunswick County from 1988 to 1992, founded the Brunswick County Educational Foundation in 1990, and served as its executive director. During the Second World War he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps, five days after Pearl Harbor, and served as a tail-gunner on a B-17 bomber over Germany. He received an Air Medal and three Oak Leaf Clusters for meritorious service during 17 combat missions and two mercy missions (dropping food to the Dutch). He also served on the Aleutian Islands and was later a pilot in the U.S. Naval Air Force, 1949-50.
Charles H. Strickland W49, Andalusia, Ala., an insurance and finance executive at various firms until his retirement in 2001; May 4. He was a 47-year member of the local Lions Club, which he served as president and chair, leading to his recognition as Lion of the Year in 1999. During the Second World War he served as a staff sergeant under General George Patton in the 417th Infantry regiment of the U.S. Army 3rd Corps; his military experience included combat at the Battle of the Bulge, in Bastogne, and in Belgium.
Bruce H. Throckmorton W49, Rancho Mirage, Calif., an employee of Cannon Mills, Inc., for 30 years; April 12. In 1981, following his retirement, he opened a wholesale nursery, raising cactus and drought-tolerant trees and shrubs. During the Second World War he was a pilot in the U.S. Navy Air Corps, and was awarded the Air Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross for his service in the South Pacific. His wife is Marilyn J. MacElwee Throckmorton CW50.
Roberta Vivian Walton GEd49, Media, Pa., a retired high-school music teacher and piano accompanist, who once played at the White House; May 6. She taught at Yeadon High School from 1934 to 1958 and at Drexel Hill Junior High School, from 1958 to 1971, and produced many student musicals at both schools. She was also an accompanist for Clyde R. Dengler, a well-known choral director and former Pennsylvania state senator; in 1983, she played piano for Denglers Sunshine Singers, a senior-citizen choir, when they sang Christmas carols at the White House. She also accompanied various other musical groups that Dengler directed, including the University Glee Club and the Choral Arts Society. And she had served on a state committee to develop music courses in schools. As a child, she and her father, a cellist, had performed together on radio programs; in 1950 she was a featured piano player on Meet Your Neighbors, a local television program.
Edward S. Wodicka ChE49, Stanardsville, Va., Dec. 24, 2002.
1950 | Albert Burstein EE50, Scottsdale, Ariz., a retired electronics engineer who developed advanced computer-design elements at RCA and Sperry Univac; Dec. 28, 2002. His wife is Ethel Beard Burstein OT53 GEd57; his sister and her husband are Renee Burstein Jasper CW50 and Herbert N. Jasper C50.
Dr. Silas C. Daugherty C50 M54, Aurora, Ohio, Aug. 20, 2001.
Dr. Roscoe D. Doss GM50, Green Valley, Ariz., a retired physician; Jan. 11, 2000.
Walter L. Fisler CCC50, Brigantine, N.J., a retired acoustical ceiling engineer; May 18.
Michal L. Kane G50, Pottstown, Pa., March 9.
Michael J. Keefe C50, Brantford, Ontario, 2003.
Joseph Kiebala Jr. G50, Boston, Feb. 26, 2002.
Dr. Anastasius H. Kyriakides GM50, Akron, Ohio, a retired surgeon who served as coroner for Summit County for 30 years; March 28. He practiced general surgery at Akrons City, St. Thomas, and Childrens hospitals. And he served three terms as president of the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church there.
Dallas K. Moran ME50, Fairmont, W.V., May 5. He owned M & K Carpet Crafters and later managed the flooring department at Hartleys Department Store.
John W. Parker GEd50, Fullerton, Calif., the retired manager of the Arcadia Medical Clinic; Feb. 16, 2003. He began his career as a teacher of mathematics at the Westtown Friends School in Pennsylvania, before moving to California in 1951. A member of the Arcadia Rotary Club for over 40 years, he was named a Paul Harris Fellow for his support of Rotary International. From 1939 to 1951 he and his wife operated summer camps for children in Maine, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.
F. Weldon Pope W50, Little River, S.C., the former owner of the Mount Vernon Employment Service in Baltimore; April 8. He was a member and former vice president of the National Employment Agent Association.
Sumner E. Brumbaugh C51, Hollidaysburg, Pa., April 13, 2002.
Brian B. Bucklee C51, Mitchellville, Md., an employee of the National Security Agency for 31 years; March 22. At St. Philips Episcopal Church in Laurel, he served as treasurer and head of the 1997 building campaign. He represented the Washington diocese on the board of Collington Episcopal Life Care Community, and was business manager for the Episcopal Womens Caucus, which included managing an international community at the 1988 Lambeth Conference of Anglican Bishops. He was an insulin-dependent diabetic for more than 60 years, having been diagnosed with the disease at age 13.
Patricia A. Curran G51, Houston, Tex., Aug. 20, 1999.
Norman Finkler G51, Kensington, Md., Feb. 27, 2003.
Dr. William T. Ford GM51, Key Largo, Fla., a retired physician; May 18, 1998.
Robert F. Heckman W51, Honey Brook, Pa., April 20.
Eugene R. Kersting W51, Clarksburg, W.V., a retired insurance executive with Northwestern Mutual Life; May 1. During his career, which began in 1952, he qualified for the Million Dollar Round Table of the National Association of Life Underwriters for more than 25 years.
Edna M. Lohmeyer Nu51, Marion Station, Md., Jan. 30, 2003.
Dr. Kenneth B. Moser D51, Winston-Salem, N.C., a retired dentist; April 29. He had also served in the U.S. Army.
John Perry WEv51, Springfield, Pa., a retired customer-relations manager at the former Wilkering Manufacturing Co.; April 4. During the Second World War he earned the rank of staff sergeant by serving with the 339th Fighter Group of the U.S. Army Air Corps as a payroll administrator in England. He returned to Wilkerson Manufacturing Co., a firm that produced piston rings for automobile engines, where he worked as a purchasing agent and customer service manager until his retirement in 1974.
Leo C. Shanosky W51, Somerset, N.J., an actuarian, he was a former vice president of the Munich Reinsurance Co.; Aug. 11, 2001. At Penn he was captain of the freshman football team during the 1947 season and played on the varsity team for the next three years. According to his friend, Paul J. Zalesak C52, he was a staunch Mungerman who attended almost all reunions until he was unable because of ill-health.
Mary E. Smith Nu51 GEd58, York, Pa., Dec. 30, 2001.
Betty Jane K. Sokoloff Nu51, Silver Spring, Md., Jan. 19, 2003.
Jonathan L. Weir WEF51, Edwardsville, Pa., a retired banker and manager; April 27. He was a banker at the former United Penn Bank for 30 years, retiring as senior vice-president in 1986. He then became manager of the audit department at Pennsylvania Gas and Water Co. He served on the local board of the Bank Administration Institute.
Dr. James P. Westmoreland M51, Pittsboro, N.C., a retired physician; Jan. 4, 2002.
Robert W. Worrall C51, Malvern, Pa., Sept. 28, 2001.
1952 |Dr. Sebastian Arena M52 GM56, Pittsburgh, a retired otolaryngologist; Dec. 8, 2002. He began his career as a general practitioner at the Geisinger Medical Center in Danville. After moving to Pittsburgh and completing a fellowship in New York, he pursued a specialty in otolaryngology and practiced first at the Eye and Ear Institute in Oakland and then at Mercy Hospital, where he served as chief of staff and chair of otolaryngology. At the age of 63 he obtained a law degree from Duquesne University School of Law.
Dr. Frank A. Bartus V52, Belle Vernon, Pa., a retired veterinarian who had maintained a practice for 35 years; April 21. He was past president of the Veterinary Medical Association of Southwestern Pennsylvania.
Estelle G. Bleiman Ed52, Wyndmoor, Pa., a third-grade teacher in Philadelphia for more than three decades; April 28. She taught at Kirkbride Elementary School from 1952 to 1956; Spruance School, 1956-60; and McCloskey Elementary School from 1965 until her retirement in 1990.
Myron T. Coffman Jr. W52, Lady Lake, Fla., Dec. 18, 2002.
Dr. Robert J. Golden GM52, Scranton, Pa., a retired physician; Nov. 16, 2000.
Dr. Isadore Krasno Gr52, Wilkes-Barre, Pa., a retired clinical psychologist and an associate professor of psychology at Marywood College; March 16. He served as chief of psychological services at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Plains and as a clinical psychologist in the State Correctional Institution in Dallas, Pa. He was also a part-time psychotherapist in the counseling center at Marywood. From 1955 until his retirement in 1984, Dr. Krasno maintained a private practice in Wilkes-Barre, where he had active staff privileges at Mercy Hospital there. From 1984 to 1994 he completed psychological evaluations for nursing homes in Palm Springs, Calif. He had served on the first Pennsylvania Board of Psychologist Examiners, and he was a past-president of the Pennsylvania Psychological Association. At Penn he a member of Phi Beta Kappa fraternity.
Robert L. Parsons WEv52, Wilmington, Del., March 20.
George V. Strong Jr. L52, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., a retired attorney for Strong, Stevens, Briscoe & Hamilton; Nov. 6, 2002.
Edgar W. Wales GME52, Lansdale, Pa., a retired mechanical engineer and businessman; May 10. He worked as an engineer for Yarnall-Waring Co. and United Engineers and Constructors, Inc., both in Philadelphia. He then managed engineering product sales for C.B. Thaw Co. In 1980 he started his own business, Tech Product Sales Co., retiring in 1994. He was vice-chair of the parking authority of Lansdale in the 1990s.
Dr. Alan F. Wirtshafter C52, M56, Moorestown, N.J., a retired family practitioner; Jan. 8, 2003. He began practicing in Willingboro in 1959, charging $2 for office visits and $3 for house calls; he retired in 2000, after more than 40 years. He was one of the first doctors to join the medical staff at Rancocas Valley Hospital when it opened in 1961. He founded the Future Physicians Club at Willingboro High School, and served as an assistant professor at the Cooper division of Rutgers University Medical School.
Dr. James F. Basque V53, Bridport, Vt., a retired veterinarian; Sept. 26, 2001.
Richard Bell Jr. W53, Rosemont, Pa., the retired president of the Bell-Horn Surgical Manufacturing Co. in Philadelphia; April 4. In 1968 he became president of Bell-Horn, a firm that manufactured neck and knee braces, and which had been founded as a tool manufacturer by his great-great-grandfather in 1842. He expanded the companys markets to Europe, Asia, and South America; its customers included the New York Jets football team. After retiring as president in 1997, he remained involved with the business until it was sold in 2000. He had served in the U.S. Air Force in the Far East and in the Air Force Reserve, retiring as a lieutenant colonel in 1981.
Jane Wells Douglass Ed53, Lake Mount Dora, Fla., a retired school teacher; Feb.27, 2003.
Dr. Philip E. Hartman Gr53, Northwood, Md., the William D. Gill Professor Emeritus of Biology at Johns Hopkins University; May 4. After fellowships with the National Cancer Institute and the American Cancer Society, he began his teaching career at Johns Hopkins in 1957 as an assistant professor of biology. He became a full professor in 1965, and was named the Gill chair in 1975. He published more than 200 scientific papers and co-wrote a textbook, Gene Action, which became popular as a college-level genetics text and was translated into several languages. Dr. Hartman was a pioneer in microbial genetics and mutagenesis, essential to understanding cancer. Early in his career he helped in the development of the Ames Test, which allows for the screening of potential carcinogens. In 1985 he received the Environmental Mutagen Societys award for his research into mutagenesis and its effects on human health. He was active in the environmental movement, and campaigned against chemical- and biological-weapons research. He served on the Conservation Council of Maryland and helped to found Assateague Coastal Trust, dedicated to preserving Assateague Island.
Abigail Combs Tinney Joy CW53, Gladwyne, Pa., May 20.
Harvey T. Kachel WEF53, Doylestown, Pa., a retired accountant for Durkin Construction Co. in Philadelphia; May 6.
Robert L. Leeds Jr. WG53, Clearwater, Fla., a retired chair and CEO of Manhattan Industries in New York, a company founded in 1857 by his great-grandfather; Feb. 17, 2003. After moving to Florida, he became a professor of marketing and management at the University of South Florida in Tampa in 1982. He had also taught at Pace University and Hunter, Marymount Manhattan, and Brooklyn colleges. He was a former chair of the Mens Fashion Association of America.
Dr. Phyllis C. Marciano CW53, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., April 15.
Dorothy Henderson Mullins G53, Maitland, Fla., March 27.
Edward J. Osterman C53, Pittsburgh, Nov. 27, 2002.
James J. Rooney WEv53, Chadds Ford, Pa., Aug. 29, 1998.
S. Robert Rosen W53, New York, Sept. 10, 2002.
Dr. Vladimir I. Sajkovic Gr53, South Hadley, Mass., June 22, 2002.
His wife is Dr. Miriam D. Taylor Sajkovic Gr59.
Dr. Sillman E. Wallace D53, Aztec, N.M., a retired dentist; March 16. He practiced dentistry in Kennett Square, Pa., for 35 years, before retiring to New Mexico in 1982, where he enjoyed exploring the countryside in his 1966 Volkswagen Beetle.
David H. Westwood GEE54, Bethesda, Md., May 9, 2002.
Dr. Louis E. Giresi C54 D57, Little Falls, N.J., a retired dentist and real estate broker; May 2. He maintained a private dental practice in Nutley, N.J. for 20 years, and owned DGS Associates in North Haldeon for 30 years.
Jay A. Harvey C54, La Jolla, Calif., Oct. 1, 2002.
Dr. Ralph B. Jackson V54, Gettysburg, Pa., a retired veterinarian; April 6, 2002.
William F. Malone G54, Falls Church, Va., Jan. 8, 2000.
Charles Sovel W54 L57, Blue Bell, Pa., a retired attorney; May 19.
Dr. Melvin E. Vaclavik V54, Meadville, Pa., a retired veterinarian; March 26.
Robert M. Hasson G55, Thorofare, N.J., Oct. 4, 2000.
Bernard C. Jakacki C55 WG60, New Canaan, Conn., retired president and chief executive officer of Quality Bakers of America Corp.; March 8. He began his career as an advertising account representative at Ogilvy, Benson, and Mather. He joined Thomas J. Lipton, Inc. in 1963, where he eventually became director of product management. He also served as chair of the associate board of directors of the Tea Association of the U.S.A. In 1973 he was hired by the Continental Grain Co. as a corporate vice president, and was promoted to vice president and general manager of the firms Oroweat Foods Co. division in southern California in 1974. After Continental Grain acquired Arnold Bakers, Inc., in 1976, he became vice president and director of marketing at their head offices in Greenwich, Conn. He was named president and CEO of Quality Bakers of America in 1977. Since September 1987 he had been an associate professor of business at Ramapo College of New Jersey; while at Ramapo he also served as director of the Institute for Management Development. He wrote two textbooks, IMC: An Integrated Communications Exercise and Marketing Research and Alternate Media: A Workbook of Internet and Database Activities. He had served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy for two years before attending Wharton.
Gleb Alex Kalistratou C55, Fresno, Calif., Dec. 14, 2000.
John W.C. Kohr C55, Spring Mount, Pa., a retired attorney; Jan. 24, 2003.
Marvin Mankin WEv55, Warminster, Pa., Oct. 13, 2001.
Joseph V. Marzella Ar55, Wallingford, Pa., an architect for 30 years with the firm of Vincent G. Kling & Associates (now the Kling architectural firm) in Philadelphia; March 29. He designed buildings at the University of Delaware and the former AT&T headquarters in Basking Ridge, N.J. He taught architecture and design at Penn, and late in his life was named a fellow of the American Institute of Architects in recognition of his building design and teaching career. He joined Kling in 1955, retiring in 1985, after which he continued to mentor architecture students and helped re-design two inns owned by his brother.
James E. Naile WEv55, Orlando, Fla., a retired vice president of transportation for Alpo Dog Food; March 4. He did volunteer work with the homeless there through First Presbyterian Church.
Gerard C. Nugent WEv55, Philadelphia, Feb. 18, 2000.
Larry Trachtman W55, Wilmington, Del., Oct. 2, 2000.
Norman A. Walker WEv55, Philadelphia, Jan. 4, 2003.
Gerald P. Winchell WG55, Waco, Tex., Jan. 29, 2003.
Dr. Saul William Gellerman Gr56, Denver, former dean of the Graduate School of Management at the University of Dallas; March 26. He served as a clinical psychologist with the U.S. Army Medical Corps in Texas and Europe. From 1959 to 1967 he was a research manager and internal consultant for IBM in Armonk, N.Y. He operated his own consulting firm in Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J., from 1967 to 1984, after which he became dean at Dallas, until his retirement in 1999. At the time of his death he was teaching graduate courses in business administration for Rushmore University, an Internet school. Two of the 10 books he published remain in print: How People Work: Psychological Approaches to Management Problems and How to Manage the Motivational Machine. He also produced more than two dozen management training films for corporate clients. In 1987 he was awarded the Chevalier de lOrde des Palmes AcadÈmiques by the French Ministry of Education.
Richard E. Hartt SW56, Baltimore, Feb. 23, 2002.
Dr. Alexander Kallos Gr56, Williamsburg, Va., April 14, 2002. He taught at the College of William and Mary.
Dr. John Maliniak D56, West Norriton, Pa., a retired dentist who had maintained a practice in King of Prussia for 40 years; March 21. In 1983 he was a delegate of the American Academy of Implant Dentistry to China, where he lectured at various hospitals under the People-to-People Citizen Ambassador program. From 1956 to 1959 he served in the U.S. Navy Dental Corps, where he was stationed at the Gun Factory in Washington, after which he opened his own practice in King of Prussia. His wife is Janet Borchers Maliniak CW53.
James J. McGovern WEv56, West Pittston, Pa., a production-control manager at Atlas Chain and Cable in Philadelphia, until his retirement in 1986; May 7.
Dr. Donald M. Safir ME56 GME58, Reading, Pa., a retired physician; Aug. 16, 2002.
John W. Wescott GEE56, Boulder, Colo., Feb. 13, 2003.
1957 | John R. Adams WEv57, Carlisle, Pa., a retired banker; May 10, 2002. He worked for the Sterling Financial Trust Co. in Lancaster, and retired from the old Philadelphia National Bank (now part of Wachovia). He was a former chair of the compliance executive committee of the American Bankers Association. He was finance chair of the American Lung Association in Pennsylvania.
Jeanne D. Daly Nu57 GEd59, San Angelo, Tex., Aug. 26, 1998.
Mary Ann P. Dunkak GEd57, Paradise, Calif., Oct. 31, 2002.
Dr. Hugh T. Knight GM57, York, Pa., May 26, 1998.
1958 | Grace Velora Dibert Brightbill OT58, Bridgewater, Va., a former occupational therapist who had worked with the volunteer service of the Church of the Brethren; May 9. She also did volunteer service for Habitat for Humanity and the Heifer Project. And she had worked as a seamstress from her home.
Marian Baer Goldberg Ed58 GEd62, Merion, Pa., April 19.
Richard C. Masterman W58, Windsor, Conn., an insurance underwriter at Cigna for more than 40 years, until his retirement in 1999; May 19. He was former chair of the trustees of Trinity United Methodist Church.
William J. Meurer WEv58, Media Pa., Nov. 29, 2002.
Dr. Doris F. R. Stevenson Gr58, Middletown, Conn., Jan. 11, 2002.
Norman W. Wright WEv58, North Wales, Pa., March 14, 1999. His daughter and son-in-law are Deborah Wright Lewis CW70 and Dickson W. Lewis C70 WG72.
Anne Singer Brobyn Nu59, Bainbridge Island, Wash., June 23, 2001. Her husband is Dr. Richard D. Brobyn M57 GM61.
Dominic G. E. Cardelli PT59, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., a physical therapist who had practiced for 44 years; April 16. He was trained in physical therapy in the U.S. Navy, where he served as a corpsman at the Philadelphia Naval Hospital. While attending Penn, he worked as a night watchman at the Arco Refinery and as a masseur at the Philadelphia Athletic Club in order to earn his degree. He began his career at Shriners Hospital for Children; in 1962 he became head physical therapist at Nazareth Hospital, where he served for 16 years. He then began a private practice in Huntingdon Valley. According to his daughter, also a physical therapist, he assisted patients whether or not they could pay, often making house calls and accepting a cup of coffee for his services.
Dr. James E. Griffin Gr59, Muncie, Ind., retired professor of physical therapy at Ball State University; March 19. He began his career in 1948 as a physical therapist at Veterans Hospital, Rocky Hill, Conn. From 1953 to 1970 he was a professor of physical therapy at Penn. He taught physical therapy at the University of New York at Buffalo from 1970 to 1980, and served as department head there. In 1980 he moved to Indiana, where he started the physical-therapy program at Ball State, retiring in 1988. His pioneering research on ultrasound led to his receiving the annual Chattanooga research award for best article on clinical research published in the periodical Physical Therapy in 1980. He was the senior author for a college textbook, Physical Agents for Physical Therapists.
Robert A. Heiser GME59, Paoli, Pa., a retired mechanical engineer who had worked for Boeing, General Electric, and RCA; April 12.
Mary C. Keefe GEd59, Lowell, Mass., a retired teacher of mathematics; March 26. She taught for many years at Dracut High School, and was later chair of mathematics at Acton-Boxboro Regional High School for more than 17 years. She also taught at Keith Catholic High School and in the junior-high program at the Academy of Notre Dame.
Bruce S. Denagy GEd60, Wilmington, Del., March 29, 2000.
Charles A. Gilmore WG60, Harrisburg, Pa., a retired administrator who served in the U.S. Army during three wars; April 16. In the Second World War he served in the South Pacific as a communications officer for the U.S. Army. He re-enlisted in 1951, and was wounded serving in the Korean War. Following discharge, he began a career in government service as a training officer with the Philadelphia recreation department in Philadelphia, where he remained until 1962. As a senior administrator in 1967, he was a leader in the acquisition of the Philadelphia Mint building at 1700 Spring Garden Street, which became the centerpiece of the Community College of Philadelphia. During the Vietnam War he again enlisted in the Army and served for a year at Camp Drum, N.Y., until his discharge as a lieutenant colonel in 1968. Thereafter he worked with the Pennsylvania Department of Education as a liaison between two-year community colleges and four-year state-owned universities, retiring in 1982.
Robert H. Jaeske WEv60, Philadelphia, Feb. 18, 1999.
Sally Dreyfus Kalish CW60, Harleysville, Pa., Nov. 2, 2002.
Violetta E. McKay SW60, Philadelphia, May 27.
Dr. John J. Miskel Jr. Gr60, Mendham, N.J., retired vice president of research and development for Henkel Corp. in Ambler, Pa.; April 25. He had also served as a head of research and development for Diamond Shamrock in Morristown, N.J. He was credited with nearly 100 patents during his career.
Walter F. Perry Wickes III C60, London, April 27. He had worked for American Express there. At Penn he played on the squash team.
Elizabeth Thompson Josephson Nu61, Lawndale, Pa., May 11.
Natalie I. Koether CW61 L65, Far Hills, N.J., president of Pure World, Inc., in Hackensack; Oct. 3. She was the first woman attorney at the Philadelphia the law firm of Morgan, Lewis & Bochius. She then established the firm of Koether & Harris, which became Koether, Harris & Hoffman, and then Keck Mahin Cate in New York, where she was the partner-in-charge until leaving the firm in 1994. She became president of Pure World, Inc., in 1995. She also served as an executive with Kent Financial Services of Bedminster and as counsel to the New York law firm of KMZ Rosenman. Fortune magazine once named her the fastest gun in Far Hills, for her practice of greenmailing, buying a minority stake in a company, then selling out at a higher price after suggesting that someone could take over the firm. Natalie Koether had served as a trustee of the University of Pennsylvania since 1989: she was a charter trustee and vice-chair of the trustees; she chaired the academic-policy committee until 2002, and the sub-committee on proxy voting. She was a chair emerita of the overseers of the School of Arts and Sciences and a former member of the overseers of the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts. She was a founding member of the Trustees Council of Penn Women, and of the Universitys committee for undergraduate financial aid. In 1989 she endowed a chair in the School of Arts and Sciences in honor of her high-school English teacher, the late Catherine Bryson Ed22 G47; and she also established an endowed scholarship there in 1997. She also supported many other parts of the University, including the Law School and the Perelman Quadrangle. A scholarship fund has been established in her name at the University. Her daughter is Jennifer Koether Healey C96 GEd01.
Dr. Morton R. Kramer Gr61, Glastonbury, Conn., Nov. 1, 2001.
Richard W. Strickler GEd61, Millsboro, Del., Oct. 13, 1999.
Dr. J. Walter Kaye GM62, Saddle River, N.J., a retired physician; April 19, 1999.
Robert D. Keller C62 GEd67, Malvern, Pa., May 5, 2001.
Frederic M. Livezey GEE62, Wellesley Hills, Mass., a retired administrator for the First Church of Christ, Scientist; March 20. He had taught electrical engineering at both Penn and Drexel University. In 1963 he began his career with Christian Science as a representative of its Office of College Organization, traveling to college and university campuses first in America, Canada, and then throughout the world to assist Christian Science students in holding services and sponsoring lectures. He subsequently became the head of the college-organization office and manager of the Office of the Clerk of The Mother Church. And he served for 10 years as administrator of the Christian Science Chestnut Hill Benevolent Association in Boston.
Georgetta M. Matthews GEd62, Norristown, Pa., Sept. 23, 2001.
Louis A. Merget W60, Cheltenham, Pa., April 13, 2001.
Dr. Thomas F. DeCaro Gr63, Conshohocken, Pa., Nov. 3, 1999.
Ethel B. Fischer GEd63, San Diego, May 24, 1999.
Ruth U. McCracken GEd63, Pensacola, Fla., Jan. 26, 2002.
Charles E. McGloughlin Sr. GAr63, Haddonfield, N.J., an architect; May 24.
Norma L. Michaelson GEd63, Media, Pa., March 19, 2002.
Philip J. Patelmo GEd63, Dresher, Pa., retired coordinator of the science department at Springfield High School in Erdenheim; May 2. He was a past president of the Springfield Education Association.
Francis A. Shields C63, Palm Beach, Fla., a sales and marketing executive; April 25. At Penn he was captain of the heavyweight crew that rowed at the Henley Royal Regatta in 1962. In 1980 he founded Power Ten New York, an organization dedicated to supporting rowing. He began his career on Wall Street, working for Loeb Rhoades, after which he moved into sales and marketing for Revlon, EstÈe Lauder, and Handy Associates, an executive search firm. Moving to Palm Beach in 1989, he set up a real estate company.
Marvin G. Spencer GEd63, Kenova, W.V., Dec. 22, 2000.
Robert M. Tofte GEd63, Minneapolis, Aug. 18, 1999.
Anne E. Burkey Wilcox Nu63, Wilmington, Del., May 18, 2002.
Herbert W. Doemling GEd64, King of Prussia, Pa., Dec. 15, 1998.
Dr. Alfred P. Jones Jr. D65, Clarks Summit, Pa., a dentist in Scranton and Clarks Summit for many years; April 8.
David L. Nathan W65, Highland, Md., a manufacturers representative in the optical industry for more than 25 years; March 10. He began his career at his familys business, Opticase, an eyeglass-frames manufacturer in South Orange, N.J., and went on to serve as a manufacturers representative for other companies. More recently he worked in management, sales, and consulting in the communications industry. He was a former budget chair of Congregation Beth Shalom, having served during the period when it undertook construction of the synagogue. He and his wife had designed their home in Highland, Md., where he lived for the last 16 years of his life.
Dr. Foster E. Tait Gr65, Columbia, S.C., Jan. 29, 2002. He had taught philosophy at the University of South Carolina.
Dr. Roland Yii GrE65, Lake Park, Fla., June 5, 2001.
Maryann Morgan Nu66 GNu68, Media, Pa., a retired nurse; April 29.
Rosemary S. Okolowski Nu66 GNu70, Springfield, Pa., April 22.
Charles L. Chip Oldt L66, Easton, Pa., a retired attorney who practiced for 37 years; May 12. He practiced law with his father from 1966 to 1982 and with the firm of Fox, Oldt & Brown from 1974 until his retirement as senior partner in 2002.
Linda Braund Peters GEd66, Gardners, Pa., Dec. 21, 2001.
Dr. Charles W. Donaldson Gr67, Lookout Mountain, Ga., Oct. 10, 2002.
Dr. Charles E. Gilmer GD67, Bellaire, Tex., April 19, 2002.
Dr. Jerold A. Haber C67, Atlanta, an orthopedic surgeon whose pioneering techniques had been featured on national television; April 30. He practiced in Atlanta for 25 years, pioneering certain types of back surgery. Sometimes known as Rakuman, he was a potter and photographer: permanent exhibitions of his photographs are on display at Northside Hospital and the St. Josephs Hospital Cancer Center. At Penn he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
William J. Holt Jr. GEd67, Lansdowne, Pa., Oct. 8, 1999.
Albert G. Selbert GLA67, Fairfield, Conn., head of Selbert Design Associates, which specialized in urban design; April 26. He had also been a partner in the Landplan Partnership.
Deborah T. Fahnestock CW68, Tucson, Ariz., Aug. 27, 1999.
Frederick S. Lipton C68, Chevy Chase, Md., a retired attorney with the National Credit Union Administration; April 29. He also had practiced law in the Washington area.
Col. Mary L. Ruddy Nu68, San Antonio, Tex., a retired colonel in the U.S. Air Force; Feb. 19, 2003. She entered the service in 1961, and retired after 23 years of service.
Nicholas S. Smola EE68, Philadelphia, May 23.
Sally Rosenblatt Faber CW70, Hyde Park, Mass., Dec. 6, 1998.
Dr. Geza T. Fabinyi GM70, Hollidaysburg, Pa., a retired physician; Sept. 25, 2001.
Dr. Beverly Tom Heitman GrS70, Greensboro, N.C., a retired social worker for Carbarrus County; April 12. She had taught social work at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and at Charlotte.
Dr. Joseph S. Karp M70, Merion, Pa., a physician; Nov. 10, 2001.
Dianne Laverty Woods Nu70, Lake Worth, Fla., April 6, 1999.
Jay T. Gillogly W71, Foothill Ranch, Calif., Feb. 18, 2002.
Jane P. Joyce Nu71, Middletown, R.I., May 23, 2002.
Dr. Carol Kramer Gr71, New York, Dec. 3, 2002.
Dr. Larkin N. Allen GM73, Milwaukee, an ophthalmologist and former chief of staff at Lakeview Hospital; April 4. He had practiced in both Wisconsin and Nevada. He was a former president of the American Osteopathic College of Ophthalmology. And he was a clinical assistant professor of surgery and ophthalmology at several institutions, including Western University of Health Sciences and the Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Dr. Robert Lawrence Braham GM73, New York, a retired physician, Nov. 12, 2002.
Herman M. Richman WEv73, Raleigh, N.C., Nov. 5, 2002.
Frederick D. Griffin SW74, Philadelphia, July 19, 2002.
Virginia Locke Lathbury G74, Devon, Pa., a retired research assistant in the Department of Anthropology at Penn; April 21. In the 1960s she began work there, and eventually became an assistant to the chair. She continued to work part-time into her seventies, retiring in 1993. Her area of interest was Central American Indian textiles, and she often traveled to Guatemala for research.
Calvin S. Tobias CGS75, Columbus, N.J., Dec. 16, 2002.
John M. Fidrych C76, Philadelphia, Feb. 16, 2003.
Dr. Jeffrey M. Stadel Gr77, Philadelphia, Pa., July 22, 1998.
1978 | Dr. William S. Bonds Gr78, Sewanee, Tenn., professor and chair of classical languages and literature at the University of the South; March 13. He joined its faculty in 1978, teaching Latin and Greek, and became a full professor in 1993. A scholar of Roman poetry, he edited the newsletter of the Tennessee Classical Association for many years. Known for his lively and witty teaching style, Dr. Bonds also developed a computer-based tool for teaching classical languages.
Dr. Edward S. Mohn GM78, Henderson, Ky., a physician; May 4, 2002.
Lawrence S. Ullman D78, Morris Plains, N.J., a dentist; Oct. 29, 1999.
Dr. Robert H. Garnett Gr79, Grand Junction, Colo., Jul 12, 2002.
Denise A. Johnson GEd80, Trenton, N.J., Dec. 17, 2001.
1985 | Carol Ann Mackin C85, Julian, Pa., co-founder of the software company, Keyboard Publishing; May 4. She began her career as a marketing liaison for the Institute for Scientific Information in Philadelphia. In 1990 she cofounded Keyboard Publishing in Norristown, which was recognized in 1996 as one of Philadelphias top 100 companies to watch. She negotiated a contract with Merck Pharmaceutical to publish its first interactive CD-ROM manual. After selling Keyboard Publishing in 1997, she became vice president of marketing for the online division of Reuters Reality in Valley Forge. An avid cyclist, she was an annual participant in the City-to-Shore fundraiser for multiple sclerosis. And she was a yearly volunteer for the Special Olympics.
Dr. Janet Remetta V85, Perkasie, Pa., a veterinarian and pharmacological executive; March 31. She had served as veterinarian to Emerson Veterinarian Clinic in Buckingham, and the Ewing Veterinary Hospital in Trenton, N.J.
1990 | Dr. Robert E. Mooney Jr. Gr90, Arthurdale, W. Va., a retired college administrator; March 21. A U.S. Army veteran of 28 years, he was awarded numerous medals and honors, including the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star with Five Oak Leaf Clusters, the Combat Infantry Badge, and the Meritorious Service Award. He served for seven campaigns in the Vietnam War. As an educator, he was a faculty member at the University of San Francisco (1966-69), vice president of finance at California College of Arts and Crafts in Oakland (1980-83), vice president of business and finance at College Misericordia in Dallas (1983-87), and interim vice president for business and finance at the University of Bridgeport (Conn.) from 1999 until his retirement. Dr. Mooney also taught classes in watercolor painting.
1994 | Dr. Elizabeth Stewart Claffey, V94, Putnam Valley, N.Y., a veterinarian at the North Westchester Veterinary Office in Cortland Manor, N.Y.; April 15. She was active in the Midnight Run, a church program which delivers clothing and other necessities to the homeless in New York. A student of karate and kobudo, at the time of her death she was preparing to qualify for a black belt.
1998 | Hans D. Terwilliger WG98, Parker, Pa., a manager and teacher; May 10. He was district manager of the Philadelphia office of Timkin Bearing from 1986 to 1998. He had taught at Butler Community College, and was most recently an adjunct professor at the Community College of Allegheny County.
Dr. Albert Ando, Haverford, Pa., professor of economics at the School of Arts and Sciences and professor of finance in the Wharton School; Sept. 19. He was on the faculties of MIT and the Carnegie Institute of Technology before coming to Penn in 1963 as an associate professor of economics and finance. He became professor of economics and finance in 1967. He had collaborated with Nobel Prize winners Herbert Simon on research papers on aggregation and causation in economic systems and Franco Modigliani on the life cycle analysis of saving, spending, and income. Dr. Andos work on the MIT, Penn, and Social Science Research Council (MPS) model greatly benefited the research department of the Federal Reserve Board; he had recently done consulting work on econometrics for the Bank of Italy. At Penn he served as chair of the graduate group in the economics department, 1986-89. During his career he held fellowships from the Econometric Society, the Ford Foundation, the Guggenheim, and the Japan Foundation, and had received the Alexander von Humboldt Award for Senior American Scientists. He had visiting appointments at several international universities, and served as editor for a number of scholarly journals. His daughter is Alison J. Ando C91.
Dr. Jeffrey M. Cohen, Philadelphia, associate professor of physics; Oct. 12. Before joining the Penn faculty in 1971 he was a member of the Institute for Advanced Studies in Princeton (1969-71), where he discovered a calculation for the compression of formulae, and he proved an hypothesis of Einstein. In 1990 he received the Franklin Institutes Best Invention of the Year Award for a solar device based on his research on high-efficiency solar collectors. His daughter is Marielle Joy Cohen C91 SW92.
Dr. Jay H. Davidson. See Class of 1947.
Dr. Franklin G. DuBuy. See Class of 1936.
Dr. Orville Horwitz, Bryn Mawr, Pa., emeritus professor of medicine and pharmacology; Jan. 28, 2003. He joined the faculty in 1941 and was named professor of medicine in 1970 and professor of pharmacology in 1976, retiring in 1979. In 1971 he established the Foundation for Vascular-Hypertension Research. Dr. Horwitz was honored by the Medical Society of Pennsylvania in 1988 for practicing medicine for 50 years. During the Second World War he had served on Midway Island as a flight surgeon for the U.S. Navy, returning to Penn after the war. And he had worked for NASA in 1946.
Virginia Locke Lathbury. See Class of 1974.
Frederic M. Livezey. See Class of 1962.
Joseph V. Marzella. See Class of 1955.
Dr. James E. Nixon. See Class of 1949.
Dr. Frederic Roll, Philadelphia, emeritus professor of civil engineering; April 29. He joined the faculty in 1957 and remained here until his retirement in 1986. He was co-author of The International Handbook of Structural Concrete, regarded as a book that was a milestone in the field. He was a visiting research fellow at the Cement and Concrete Association in the U.K., 1963 and 1964. And he served as president of the Philadelphia chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers, which named him Structural Engineer of the Year in 1987.
2004 The Pennsylvania Gazette