1928 | R. Alma Evans Ed’28, Rydal, Pa., a French and Latin teacher for 40 years, until her retirement in 1953; Sept. 16. She taught at Douglas Elementary School and the John Paul Jones and Woodrow Wilson junior high schools, all in Philadelphia. Fluent in several languages, she could recite Bible verses in Greek, according to a friend. She traveled abroad extensively, and drove cross-country several times. At her 110th birthday in June, she blew out the candles on her cake by herself and later joined friends for dinner at a restaurant.
Lynford P. Bernhardt W’30, Jenkintown, Pa., April 7, 2000.
Lewis J. Darter C’30 G’32, Bethesda, Md., July 11.
Richard H. Krueger W’30, Tampa, Fla., May 2, 1999.
Marlin A. Mower W’30, Placentia, Calif., Feb. 10, 2002.
Comly B. Richie Ed’30, West Chester, Pa., Feb. 13, 2002.
Philip M. Rosenthal W’30, Philadelphia, a retired attorney; March 25, 2002.
Sidney Silverman C’30, Jenkintown, Pa., Jan. 14, 2002.
Richard S. Temko W’30, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., a retired attorney; June 8.
Myron B. Wolf W’30, Boca Raton, Fla., Dec. 12, 1999.
Lionel Asen W’31, Lauderhill, Fla., July 26.
Mildred R. Cohen Ed’31, Westmont, N.J., March 2.
Alan L. Grey W’31, Lake Worth, Fla., Oct. 15, 2003.
Charles H. Kiehm W’31, Milpitas, Calif., June 20, 2001.
Hyman Lifrak W’31, Falls River, Mass., April 21.
Charles V. Lorch W’31, Louisville, Ky., Dec. 20, 2000.
Perry A. Davidson Jr. W’32, Warren, Pa., June 10, 2003.
Jean G. McTeigue W’32, Jamesburg, N.J., Sept. 13, 2000.
Harriet Scholz Miller Ed’32, Port Charlotte, Fla., May 29, 1999.
Bertha Samuels Nepove Ed’32, Beverly Hills, Calif., Jan. 17, 2003.
Henry A. Damminger W’33, Palm Springs, Calif., Jan. 2, 2003.
Ruth H. Forgy Ed’33, Glendora, Calif., March 7, 2001.
James W. Hotchkiss W’33, Las Vegas, March 2, 2002.
Frederick Klemm W’33, Wilmington, Del., March 20, 1999.
Ellis Lewis C’33, Wyncote, Pa., Aug. 12, 1999.
Harry M. Lipsher C’33, Hamden, Conn., Jan. 19, 2000.
Nicholas A. Luongo C’33, Philadelphia, Dec. 17, 1999.
David McKibbin C’33, Covina, Calif., a retired attorney; Nov. 21, 2003.
Dr. Anthony J. Muccioli C’33, Lawrenceville, N.J., June 14.
Kathryn G. Smith B’33 G’36 M’37, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., April 17, 2002.
Alexander Earl Sopenoff Ed’33 G’34, Tinton Falls, N.J., July 9.
Morris Spewak C’33, St. Petersburg, Fla., March 22, 2001.
William Slim Sr. WEv’34, Doylestown, Pa., Jan. 3, 2003.
Carlton E. Lee Ar’37, Paterson, N.J., May 18, 2001.
Harriet Reinish Mazor FA’37, Philadelphia, July 12.
1939 | Duilio I. Baltodano W’39, Managua, Nicaragua, March 13, 2003. His sons are Duilio J. Baltodano W’70, Duilio J. Baltodano W’73, and Alejandro I. Baltodano Cabrera W’77, and two grandsons are Duilio I. Baltodano C’05 and Ernesto J. Baltodano C’05.
Edwin N. Bobrow ChE’39, Torrance, Calif., Aug. 23, 2002.
Hal B. O’Connor W’39, Andover, Mass., Aug. 28.
Stephen M. Stratton C’39, Florence, Mass., Sept. 2.
Dr. Saul Kamen D’40, Lake Luzerne, N.Y., a retired dentist; Aug. 23.
George H. Seidel WEF’40, Reading, Pa., April 12, 1999. His wife is Laura Rose Seidel Ed’38.
John R. McConnell L’41, Gladwyne, Pa., a retired partner with Morgan, Lewis & Bockius and a former chancellor of the Philadelphia Bar Association; Sept. 3. He joined the firm in 1945 and became a partner in 1953. Known as the firm’s dean of litigation, he represented the old Reading Railroad, The Philadelphia Bulletin, Philadelphia Electric Co., the Philadelphia School District, and Villanova University during his more than four decades as a trial attorney. He had tried several cases before the U.S. Supreme Court, according to his family. Following his retirement from the firm in 1982, he taught religious studies at St. Joseph’s Preparatory School, where he was also a trustee, until 1988. He was a trustee of Villanova University and was former chair of the School of the Holy Child in Rosemont. He was a former president of the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel. During World War II he served as a gunnery officer and executive officer in the U.S. Naval Reserve. His daughter is Maryann McConnell GEd’73 and his son is John R. McConnell WG’82.
Ralph S. Reiner W’41, Los Angeles, April 27, 2003.
Robert E. Spohr W’41, Lititz, Pa., Sept. 14.
Richard L. Levy W’42, Sarasota, Fla., Aug. 2.
Robert F. Maxwell C’42 L’48, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a retired attorney; June 21.
Louise Sibley NTS’42, Haverhill, Mass., April 12, 2001.
Whitney W. Stark W’42, Chatham Mass., the retired director of quality control at American Cyanamid Co.; Aug. 6. At Penn he was a member of Alpha Chi Rho fraternity, and he was a regular bartender at Smokey Joe’s. During World War II he was a lieutenant junior grade in the U.S. Coast Guard, serving aboard the U.S.S. Key West as a communications officer on convoy duty in the Atlantic, Mediterranean, and South Pacific. He worked in the antiques business with his wife for more than 40 years, and was a member of the Cape Cod Antiques Dealers Association. One of his grandsons is Samuel Stark C’02.
Warren F. Tischler W’42, Bloomsburg, Pa., the retired founder and president of Resilite Sports Products, Inc.; Sept. 20. At Penn he was captain of the wrestling team during an undefeated season under coaches W. Austin Bishop and Dr. Raymond Sparks. And he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa fraternity. After serving in the U.S. Army Signal Corps during World War II, he began his career in the restaurant and hotel industry in Maryland and New York state. In 1959 he founded Resilite Sports Products in Sunbury, Pa. The company developed the vinyl-coated wrestling mat, which proved to be lighter and safer, leading to his becoming known as the father of the modern day wrestling mat. In 1994 he received the National Order of Merit, one of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame’s highest honors. And he was inducted into the Pennsylvania Wrestling Hall of Fame.
Mark Flomenhoft EE’43 GEE’63, Philadelphia, an electrical engineer who became known as the father of the first television kit, which allowed consumers to build TV sets in their home workshops; Sept. 10. His first job was with Hazeltine Corporation, an electronics manufacturer in New York. In 1946, while working for Transvision Co. on Long Island, N.Y., he built a television set with a seven-inch picture tube and a five-channel tuner, which is now on display at the Early Television Museum in Hilliard, Ohio. The following year, after losing his security clearance, he was fired from Transvision and barred from working on military projects. He became blacklisted after associating with people caught up during the witch-hunts of the McCarthy era. In 1949, after his name was cleared, he became an electronics engineer with RCA, where he worked until 1974. He then became a freelance writer of technical manuals. He served as a radar technician for the U.S. Navy in Pearl Harbor from 1944 until the end of World War II.
J. Gene Hochfelder W’43, New York, the founder of Bogene Closet Accessories and, later, chair of Beldoch Industries, until his retirement in 1995; Sept. 20. He was honorary chair of Brahman Capital Corporation. And he was a longtime supporter of the Anti-Defamation League. During World War II he was a captain in the U.S. Marine Corps serving with the 5th Marine Division at Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal and Guam. He was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and Presidential Citation for bravery and heroism. Two of his sons are James L. Hochfelder W’66 and Peter A. Hochfelder C’84; and two of his grandchildren are Amy Hochfelder Smith W’88 and Adam Craig Hochfelder W’93.
Herbert R. Nelson W’43, Westwood, Mass., July 18.
Dr. George H. McLellan D’44, Boonton, N.J., a retired dentist; Jan. 19, 2003.
Dr. Louis A. Pyle Jr. M’44, Princeton, N.J., Jan. 14, 2002.
Shirley C. Rubin CW’44 G’47, Media, Pa., a psychologist and counselor; Sept. 28. From 1981 until her retirement in 1987, she was director of counseling for Women in Transition in Philadelphia, a nonprofit organization that works with women at risk of domestic violence and substance abuse and provides education and empowerment counseling. She had previously been a counselor for Jewish Employment Vocational Services, Lower Merion Counseling Services, and the University of the Arts. She also maintained a private practice for marital and family therapy. She was past president of the Philadelphia chapter of the American Jewish Congress. In 1963, as part of the chapter, she and her 13-year-old son participated in the Civil Rights March on Washington and heard the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. Her husband is Arthur M. Rubin W’42.
Dr. Robert T. Wong GM’46, Honolulu, a retired physician; Jan. 8, 2003.
1947 | Richard D. Barford WEv’47, St. Simons Island, Ga., a retired vice president of the old Fidelity Bank in Philadelphia and a retired director and president of its subsidiary, Fidelity Building Corporation; Aug. 19. Upon retiring, he served as a consultant to the ?Neshaming National Bank of Philadelphia. He was a former president of the University’s Administration Institute of Banking Club. And he was an accounting instructor for the American Institute of Banking. Active in the Masons for over 50 years, he was a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason and chaplain emeritus of Golden Isles Lodge #707. He was past president of the Philadelphia Shrine Club. He served on the board of the American Heart Association and was voted the outstanding volunteer for Glynn County, 1994-98. He was past chair and treasurer of the Ivy League of the Golden Isles. During World War II he served with the 63rd U.S. Army Infantry Division and spent time settling war contracts between the American and Japanese governments.
James E. Manis W’47, Sun City, Calif., July 14.
Norman L. Timmins M’47, Downingtown, Pa., May 13, 2002.
Franklin S. Chase W’48, Newtown Square, Pa., president of Chase-Goldenberg Associates, a broker for candy companies; Aug. 23. After working in California and Oregon, including a stint as an officer with the American Legion, he returned to Philadelphia to join his family’s business, R. B. Chase & Co., later Chase-Goldenberg. He continued to work at his office four days a week until his death, according to his wife. He was past president of the Conshohocken Chamber of Commerce and was a member of the Hershey Candy Hall of Fame. During World War II he had served with the U.S. Navy in San Francisco and the Pacific.
Dr. Joachim B. Ehrman C’48, London, Ont., April 18. He had taught in the applied-mathematics department at the University of Western Ontario.
Dr. Mischa F. Grossman C’48, Cherry Hill, N.J., a pediatrician in Camden County for more than 50 years; Sept. 23. He was among a group of doctors who founded the Cherry Hill Hospital (now Kennedy Memorial Hospitals-University Medical Center/Cherry Hill) in 1960, and served as its chief of pediatrics for 17 years. Dr. Grossman taught at Thomas Jefferson University. He was a physician for Woodrow Wilson High School in Camden, and medical director of the former Bowling Green Adolescent Addiction Center in Evesham. Known as a physician who made house calls and would remain at a hospital around the clock to ensure the survival of a premature infant, Dr. Grossman “was a one-man Red Cross to a lot of people,” said a longtime friend. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy’s Hospital Corps School in San Diego.
Theresa Kardish Rees CW’48, Media, Pa., Aug. 12. She worked in the marketing department of Scott Paper Co. and at Wharton before joining Boeing International. After relocating to Tokyo, she worked for an American bank there for five years. Following her retirement and return to the U.S., she served as a volunteer at Daylesford Abbey and was publicity chair for its annual art show.
1949 | Rodney J. Adams C’49, Blue Bell, Pa., a retired vice president of Transportation Mutual Insurance Co. of Philadelphia, where he had worked for more than 20 years; Aug. 28. At Penn he was a Mungerman. During the Korean War he served as a lieutenant and platoon leader in the U.S. Army; he was awarded a Bronze Star for his actions in combat.
Robert H. Johnson GAr’49, West Grove, Pa., April 23, 2001.
Earl L. Kephart Ed’49, Media, Pa., June 6.
Dr. Barbara Barker Rose GM’49, Northampton, Mass., a retired physician; Dec. 16, 2002.
Walter I. Summerfield Jr. W’49 L’52, Bala Cynwyd, an attorney who had worked for Kober Enterprises, Inc.; June 20.
1950 | Joel C. Cox W’50, Danbury, Conn., the retired head of his own company, JCC Distributors; Aug. 12. He worked for Stern Brothers in New York, 1950-54. He was employed by Sears Roebuck & Co., 1955-76, where he became a senior buyer. He then became vice president of Spartus Clock Corporation and was later director of product development of Times Square Stores, until starting JCC Distributors. He served as president of the Long Island chapter of Penn’s alumni association. And he was chair of of elders of the Community Church of Great Neck.
Walker L. Mifflin Jr. GAr’50, Little Creek, Del., June 8.
Marianthe Karaberi FA’51, West Palm Beach, Fla., Feb. 20, 2004.
Gerald Marmorstein L’51, Miami, a retired attorney; July. His wife is Barbara Shteir Marmorstein CW’52. Two of his sons are Allan J. Marmorstein W’80 and Dr. Howard Marmorstein W’78 WG’82. His brother is Harold Marmorstein W’42 WG’43.
Dr. William W. Wells GM’51, Schenectady, N.Y., a retired physician; April 8, 2001.
Walter H. Demme GEd’52, Barnegat, N.J., an English teacher in Philadelphia schools for 36 years, until his retirement from Fels Junior High School in 1983; Aug. 19. After entering the U.S. Army in 1943, he was sent to the University of Michigan to study Japanese, which led to his becoming a translator at the Pentagon until his discharge in 1946.
Albert I. Parisi WEv’52, Drexel Hill, Pa., Feb. 15, 2001.
Robert L. Wulff GAr’52, La Grange, Ill., April 1.
Dr. Peter H. Lee D’54, Atlantis, Fla., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Boston for more than 40 years; July 11. Active in the Rotary Club of Boston for over 25 years, he was also a past president of the Canadian Club of Boston.
Dr. James V. Milano WG’54, Winchester, Va., a retired executive for Pfizer, Inc.; July 26. He was responsible for international computer operations and held several positions, including assistant controller, vice president of Pfizer International, and vice president. Following his retirement in 1985, he remained as a consultant with the company until 1996. Fluent in Italian, he had served in intelligence operations during the Allied invasions of North Africa and Italy during World War II. After returning to the U.S., he served in the 82nd Airborne Division. After retiring from the U.S. Army as a colonel in 1966, he joined Pfizer.
William D. Sill L’55, Hershey, Pa., a retired attorney and manager; July 21.
James P. Struthers C’55, New York, theater teacher, director, and playwright; Jan. 15. During the late 1950s he taught at the colleges of Touro and Marymount Manhattan, both in New York, as well as the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, the American Language and Cultural Institute, and the John Roberts Powers Schools. He was an instructor in English, speech, acting, playwriting, play direction, and journalism at Penn, and at Wesleyan and Case Western Reserve universities. And he taught at two private secondary schools, The Gunnery and Choate; at Choate his students included the young Michael Douglas. A consultant to various state art councils and performing arts organizations, he worked with the New York State Council on the Arts for several years. He also worked as a stage manager on Broadway, including on Flower Drum Song, and was an assistant on the Broadway production of Neil Simon’s Star-Spangled Girl. He was a theatrical agent, literary agent, and book editor. He worked in all phases of Broadway and Off-Broadway production and management, summer stock, and repertory theater, with particular emphasis on sales, publicity, promotion, casting, and script selection and development. A direct descendant of Stephen Foster, he wrote The Stephen Foster Radio Show, which showcased the life, times, and songs of the American composer. Other musicals, plays, and shows he penned include Twice Upon Twelve, Flying Chaucers, The Pie-Eyed Piper, and Lunch Hour.
Jack G. Hawthorne GEd’56 GFA’58, West Chester, Pa., March 25, 2003.
Charles P. Graves GAr’57, Lexington, Ky., April 29, 2001.
Robert R. Meyer W’57, Lawrenceville, N.J., a senior vice president for Empire Blue Cross & Blue Shield; May 6.
John P. Mulroney ChE’57 GCh’59, Meadowbrook, Pa., the retired president and chief operating officer of Rohm and Haas, who had also served as a trustee of the University and as chair of overseers for the School of Engineering and Applied Science; Sept. 24. During his 40-year career at Rohm and Haas, which began in 1958, he helped to develop the propylene-oxidation research process used to make acrylic-acid monomers. He became assistant general manager of the Italian subsidiary in 1971 and was named European regional director in 1977. In the 1980s he became vice president of technology, then group vice president and corporate business director. He was elected to the board in 1982 and served as president and chief operating officer from 1986 until his retirement in 1998. He was also a director of Alcoa, and of Teradyne, a Boston-based electronics company. A trustee of the University from 1986 to 1991, he had served as an overseer for SEAS since 1983, and was chair of the overseers from 1986 to 1994. He provided ongoing support to the University and the Engineering School through contributions to funds such as the Arthur E. Humphrey Endowed Chair, the Joseph Bordogna Professorship, the Chemical Engineering Lab Fund, and to Skirkanich Hall for Bioengineering. The Agnes and Jack Mulroney Endowed Scholarship, initiated in 2002, provides direct financial support to Penn students. A member of the board of the Opera Company of Philadelphia since 1985, he served as its president from 1988 to 1994, and chair from 1994 to 1998; following his retirement from Rohm and Haas, he volunteered as executive director of the Opera Company. Its current chair, Stephen A. Madva L’73, called him “a fierce champion of the arts. … He was that rare combination of sharp business acumen and great humanity.” The company dedicated its 30th anniversary season to him. His other philanthropic endeavors included the William Penn Foundation, the Academy of Natural Sciences, and the Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance. And he was a member of the corporate executive board of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. His wife is Agnes Gordon Mulroney CW’57. Three of his children are Dr. Carolyn M. Mulroney C’82, Dr. Kelly A. Mulroney C’90, and Andrew D. Mulroney C’98. His sister-in-law is Anne Gordon Ruggiero CW’64 and his brother-in-law is James D. Gordon C’71.
Frederic J. Licht GAr’58, Ithaca, N.Y., April 25, 2002.
Mark S. Taylor GCP’58, Cleveland, Feb. 20, 2003.
1959 | Dr. Leonard Abrams GD’59, Philadelphia, a periodontist who was internationally known for his work in full-mouth reconstruction; July 6. He taught periodontology at the University’s School of Dental Medicine and Temple University’s School of Dentistry. He also taught at the Dental Implant Center at Albert Einstein Medical Center. Dr. Abrams was a founding member and past president of the American Academy of Esthetic Dentistry and the Delaware Valley Academy of Osseointegration. He co-wrote a dental textbook, Dental Anatomy and Occlusion. He received the Alumni Award of Merit from the University’s School of Dental Medicine and the Founders’ Day Award from Temple’s School of Dentistry. In 2004 Dr. Abrams was honored with the Pennsylvania Dental Association’s Recognition Award. Dr. Martin F. Tansy, dean of Temple’s dentistry school, said “Len Abrams was a presence, not just in the profession but in every aspect of life. … He was a consummate professional, respected in academic circles, and a knowledgeable collector of art.” When Dr. Abrams’s daughter Michelle died of cancer in 1970, he commissioned a mural painted by Philadelphia artist Sam Maitin FA’51 in her memory at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. When the hospital building was renovated, the mural was moved in 1990 to the main lobby of Temple’s dental-school building. A passionate cyclist, Dr. Abrams biked all over the world, sometimes with a group of friends who called themselves the AKs, after a Yiddish term for old-timers.
Harry M. Kurki Ar’59, Pompano Beach, Fla., Feb. 2, 2004.
Francis J. Radano WEv’59, Drexel Hill, Pa., a retired insurance agent and real estate broker; Sept. 4. He was also a partner with General Travel, a travel agency in Philadelphia, for 20 years. He served in the U.S. Army in Italy during World War II.
1963 | Joseph H. Pavlak Ed’63, Doylestown, Pa., a manager for Western Electric, now AT&T Communications, for 31 years; Sept. 6. Following his retirement in 1977, he was a maintenance supervisor for the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission for more than 10 years. From 1966 to 1978 he was a member of the board of supervisors for Lower Southampton, and served as its chair for six years. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy as an electrician’s mate on an attack carrier in the Pacific. In 1947 he was recalled to active duty aboard the cruiser U.S.S. Rochester.
Dr. Veerappa Shiva Shankar GM’68, Bangalore, India, a retired neurosurgeon; Feb. 3. He was a research associate in the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania’s division of neurosurgery from 1969 to 1975. He then maintained a neurosurgical practice in Philadelphia for many years. Dr. Shankar joined the neurosurgical staff at Brandywine Hospital, from 1998 until his retirement in 2001.
Glenn D. Steinberg GCP’68, Chicago, Jan. 20, 2004.
1977 | Gail S. Morgenstern SW’77, Philadelphia, Sept. 6. Her husband, Arthur B. Morgenstern C’61, died in May 2000. Her sons are Jonathan F. Morgenstern C’90 and Andrew L. Morgenstern C’94. Her sister is Binnie S. Donald Ed’61 and her brother is Stuart H. Schuman C’67.
1986 | Martha Crary Halpern G’86, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., an assistant curator at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, who was in charge of the Fairmount Park houses; Sept. 12. She began her museum training as a Fairmount Park house guide in 1975. In 1992 the museum hired her to work in its American-art department, and she became an assistant curator in 1998. During her career she supervised restoration of several of the houses in the park and wrote extensively on their history and architecture. The Fairmount Park Historic Preservation Trust presented her with the F. Eugene Dixon Jr. Award for historic preservation in 2003.
1990 | Kathleen Chew-Kline C’90, Alhambra, Calif.; March 2. A communications major at Penn, she became a valued journalist in both Victorville, Calif., and Eugene, Ore. During the final years of her life students from Asia benefited from her volunteerism as an ESL tutor. Her greatest enjoyment was walking through the beautiful gardens of the Huntington Library in Pasadena, and two memorials are installed there. “Her smile lit up the room, and that light is sorely missed,” said Bruce Weinberg C’90, a friend since freshman year.
Dr. Leonard Abrams. See Class of 1959.
Dr. Veerappa Shiva Shankar. See Class of 1968.
James Phillip Struthers. See Class of 1955.
©2005 The Pennsylvania Gazette