Jan | Feb 2006

1910

1922

1923

1924

1925

1926

1927

1928

1929

1930

1931

1932

1933

1934

1935

1936

1937

1938

1939

1940

1941

1942

1943

1944

1945

1946

1947

1948

1949

1950

1951

1952

1953

1954

1955

1956

1957

1958

1959

 

 

1960

1961

1962

1963

1964

1965

1966

1967

1968

1969

1970

1971

1972

1973

1974

1975

1976

1977

1978

1979

1980

1981

1982

1983

1984

1985

1986

1987

1988

1989

1990

1991

1992

1993

1994

1995

1996

1997

1998

1999

2000

2001

2002

2003

Faculty & Staff

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1926

J. Paul Crawford W’26, Vero Beach, Fla., Aug. 12.

1929

Courtland E. Smith Ar’29, Southampton, N.Y., March 4.

1930

John M. Wert WEF’30, Barnstable, Mass., Nov. 20, 2002.

1932

Dr. Harold McLeod Patterson M’32, Sonora, Calif., a retired physician; Aug. 6, 2004.

Dr. Harry A. Pinsky C’32, Chicago, a physician and activist who treated injured civil-rights workers during the Freedom Summer of 1964; July 1. He was head of cardiology at West Jersey Hospital in the 1960s and 1970s. In 1964 he left his practice, then in Camden, N.J., to join a corps of doctors and nurses recruited to register African Americans to vote; he traveled South and lived with a black family in Mississippi. In August, when the bodies of slain civil-rights workers Andrew Goodman, James Chaney, and Michael Schwerner were found buried in a ditch, he observed the autopsy, according to his son Mark. When he returned to Camden he and his wife, Helen Marker Pinsky PSW’39, as members of the Jewish Community Relations Council of Southern New Jersey, helped organize conference on social issues as well as a protest of the Six-Day War in 1967. One of his sons is Dr. Carl M. Pinsky C’60.

Frances R. Spencer OT’32, Mexico, Mo., Feb. 15, 2004.

1933

Harry E. Reitinger W’33, Beach Haven, N.J., April 23.

Virginia M. Robinson Ed’33, Leesburg, Fla., Nov. 3, 2004.

Dr. Ralph W. Stevens M’33, Walla Walla, Wash., a retired physician; May 27, 2004.

back to top

1934

William J. Fedeli Ar’34, Chevy Chase, Md., Aug. 12.

Dr. Charles G. Ziegler V’34, Catonsville, Md., a retired veterinarian; Feb. 22, 2005. Prior to operating his own practice, he worked at the Animal Medical Center in New York. A past president of the Maryland Veterinary Medical Association, he served as its delegate to the American Veterinary Medical Association house of delegates from 1964 to 1968, and as a AVMA executive board member for six years. He was president of the Greater Baltimore Veterinary Medical Association and was past president and a director of American Veterinary Medical Foundation. In 1979 he received the Maryland VMA’s Distinguished Veterinarian Award and, in 1993, the Good Doctor Award.

 back to top

1935

Dr. Robert L. Booth V’35, Middleburg, Va., a veterinarian in Loudon County, Va., for 44 years; Jan. 13, 2005. He was a veterinary instructor at Morven Park Equestrian Institute and an assistant professor at Lord Fairfax Community College. A past president of the Virginia Veterinary Medicine Association, he served on the Virginia Board of Veterinary Medicine from 1956 to 1966, and as its president, 1965-66. He had been director and president of the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association. In 1975 the Virginia VMA named him Veterinarian of the Year.

Dr. J. Paul Proudfit M’35, Washington, Pa., a retired physician; Feb. 12, 2005.

Edward C. Seeben W’35, Forty Fort, Pa., Feb. 10, 2005.

Agnes Vance Stika Ed’35, Atco, N.J., Feb. 9, 2005. Her daughter-in-law is Marilyn A. Stika G’05 Gr’07.

 back to top

1936

Annette Savin Kazarian CW’36, Grand Rapids, Mich., a bookkeeper for The New School of Music in Philadelphia for 27 years; Aug. 7.

 back to top

1937

Dr. Leo R. McKinney V’37, Boston, a retired veterinarian; March 24, 2003.

Dr. Herman Rosenstein G’37, Arlington, Va., Jan. 27, 2005.

Clyde W. Teel L’37, Nazareth, Pa., a retired attorney; March 3.

back to top

1938

Robert C. Castner W’38, Newtown Square, Pa., the owner and operator of the Villanova Cheese Shop for 10 years; Aug. 24. Earlier he had worked for his family’s company, Hires, Castner & Harris in Philadelphia, which developed automation machinery for companies such as Scott Paper. When the firm was sold in 1963, he opened the cheese shop, which he ran until retiring in 1973. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the Pacific.

Dr. Sidney O. Krasnoff C’38 M’42, Philadelphia, a retired cardiologist and former chair of the medical staff at Einstein Medical Center; Aug. 15. He also taught at the University’s Graduate School of Medicine and at Temple University’s School of Medicine. In 1968 he did volunteer medical work in Afghanistan. His 1967 textbook, Computers in Medicine, was translated into several languages. Dr. Krasnoff was president of the Pennsylvania Society of Internal Medicine in 1960 and the Philadelphia County Medical Society in 1980. Following his retirement in 1985, he published Truman and Noyes, a collection of letters between President Harry S. Truman and advertising executive David Noyes. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army in Europe, where he set up a mobile army surgical hospital on D-Day.

Eleanor Kyle OT’38, White River Junction, Vt., Nov. 13, 2004.

Dr. Alexander B. Lukas GM’38, Shenandoah, Pa., a retired physician; Aug. 22, 2004.

Frances Brown Paul Ed’38, Placentia, Calif., Feb. 18, 2004.

Dr. Nelson F. Robbins D’38, Ocean City, N.J., a retired dentist; July 29, 2004.

Dr. Harry S. Schwartz W’38, San Francisco, vice president for money and banking of the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie May), until his retirement in 1977; July 17. Earlier he had been an economist for the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco and chief economist of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board. He was one of the founders and the first president of what is now Temple Isaiah in Lafayette, Calif. And he was a member of the World Affairs Council. During World War II he served as an officer in the U.S. Navy. His wife, Cynthia Gray Schwartz Ed’35, died in 2000.

Elbert B. Smith W’38, San Diego, May 27, 2004.

1939

Dr. Gerald C. O’Neil GM’39, Littleton, Colo., a pediatrician who practiced from 1940 until his retirement in 1983; April 17. He served two terms as president of the staff of Children’s Memorial Hospital in Omaha, Neb., and was on the teaching staff at Creighton School of Medicine and the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

Dr. Phyllis Dingman Reed V’39, Newtown, Pa., a retired veterinarian; July 17.

Dr. Harold B. Schwartz GM’39, Teaneck, N.J., a retired physician; June 28.

Marjorie McCairns Toland CW’39, Philadelphia, Aug. 3. Her husband is Dr. Joseph J. Toland III GM’49.

Richard P. Wilson W’39, Crystal Beach, Fla., Sept. 21, 2004.

Virginia Romeyn Wysong CW’39, Oregon City, Ore., April 2.

back to top

1940

Florence R. Bransky DH’40, Elkins Park, Pa., Dec. 12, 2003.

Dr. Nicholas V. Clemente D’40, Pelham, N.Y., a retired dentist; Nov. 27, 2004.

Joseph C. Didinger GAr’40, Glen Mills, Pa., Aug. 16.

Sidney Gordon ME’40, Cincinnati, Feb. 8, 2005.

Dr. J. Thomas Millington Jr. PH’40, Mechanicsburg, Pa., April.

Bernhard W. Nikel W’40, Daphne, Ala., Feb. 24, 2004.

Arthur B. White Ar’40 GAr’41, Havertown, Pa., an architect who practiced in Philadelphia, Germantown, and the Main Line; May 12. At Penn he graduated summa cum laude, after earning awards from the University, the Society of Beaux Arts Architects, and the Arthur-Spayd Brooke Foundation. He had taught at the University until leaving to serve in the U.S. Navy during World War II, where he was stationed in Los Angeles and served as a meteorologist on the aircraft carrier S.S. Saratoga. An active member of the Philadelphia chapter of the American Institute of Architects, in 1969 he was inducted into its College of Fellows. He served on the board of the Delaware Valley Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired for over 25 years.

Lewis Merrick Wood C’40, Jersey City, N.J., June 3.

back to top

1941

Dr. Harold Boxer D’41 GD’47, Sun City, Ariz., a retired dentist; Dec. 21, 2003.

Muriel Rossman Cohen CW’41, Fort Washington, Pa., June 25, 2004. She was involved with fundraising for the University and served on the 50th reunion committee for her class. She was past president of the Elkins Park chapter of Hadassah. The chapel of the four chaplains awarded her the Legion of Honor. Her daughter is Diane Lea Markel Lebby CW’68.

Natalie H. Davis DH’41, Ocean City, Md., April 25.

Richard J. Kaufmann W’41, Sun City, Ariz., former president and CEO of Devonsheer Melba Corporation and former president of Gerson Kaufmann Smock and Maternity Co.; Aug. 2. At Penn he was a member of Pi Lambda Phi fraternity and the editor of the Punch Bowl, 1940-41; he proudly kept framed copies of his favorite issues throughout his life. During World War II he served as a U.S. Army captain under Genl. George S. Patton in the Battle of the Bulge. His sons are James G. Kaufmann C’70 and Robert W. Kaufmann L’74.

Dr. Frederick E. Rose GM’41, Whitewater, Wis., a retired physician; May 31, 2004.

Samuel K. White Jr. C’41 L’47, Vero Beach, Fla., a retired attorney; Sept. 11, 2004.

 back to top

1942

John S. Wallace W’42, Palm Bay, Fla., 2004.

Dr. Manley C. Williams M’42, Rahway, N.J., a retired physician; Aug. 23, 2004.

Zeno L. Yeates GAr’42, Memphis, a retired partner in the architectural firm of Yeates, Gaskill & Rhodes; May 31. In Memphis he was involved in the design of the Liberty Bowl Stadium, the Shelby County Office Building, and the Memphis Public Library, as well as several hospitals in west Tennessee. After retirement he remained active in architecture, volunteering his time for the design of hospitals in South America, Central America, and Eastern Europe.

 back to top

1943

Donald L. Deininger W’42 WG’43, Atlanta, April 13.

John H. Hill ME’43, Wayne, Pa., July 28. He had worked for Elf Atochem North America, Inc. And he was a longstanding member of the Mission to Chinese Seamen. During World War II he served in the U.S. Marine Corps.

Dr. Edward J. Platz M’43, Wallingford, Conn., a retired physician who had founded the anesthesiology department at Manchester Memorial Hospital; Jan. 25, 2005. During World War II he was a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps.

Dr. Eugene Shapiro D’43, Floral Park, N.Y., a retired dentist; Feb. 9, 2005.

Morris Ward WEv’43, Ambler, Pa., the retired head controller of Girard Bank; July 7. He joined Girard in 1961 and retired in the early 1980s. Previously he had been an accountant for Philco Corp. in Philadelphia and was an assistant to the plant manager of Ford Motor Co. in Chester. A CPA, he had also been an auditor for RCA in Camden, N.J. He was a former Sunday school superintendent at Christ Lutheran Church in Knoxville, Pa. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy on supply ships in the Pacific.

back to top

1944

Dr. Millard N. Croll C’44, King of Prussia, Pa., a retired physician; Aug. 5.

Dr. D. Franklin Milam M’44 GM’48, Morgantown, W.V., a retired physician; May 10, 2002.

Naomi J. Stokes Ed’44, Philadelphia, a teacher in the Philadelphia school district for nearly 40 years; July 30. As an honors student in Philadelphia public schools, she was noticed by Eleanor Roosevelt, and had her full tuition to Penn paid for by the wife of a neighborhood funeral director. After graduating, she was not allowed to do her student teaching in Philadelphia because at that time there were no African American language arts teachers at the secondary level; she commuted to Chester to complete her requirement. Along with her teaching duties for the Philadelphia school district, she served as a summer school teacher and playground supervisor during the summer months. She sang as an alto in the senior choir of Grace Baptist Church of Germantown and was the first director of the Celestial Choir there. Late in her life she played piano for the church’s Sunday school and vacation Bible school.

Walter R. Stone W’44, East Orleans, Mass., a vice president at the advertising firm of Ogilvy & Mather, until his retirement in 1982; May 5, 2004. During World War II he served as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Corps. As a bombardier navigator in a B-17, his plane was forced down behind Russian lines on Christmas Day. He was awarded the Air medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters after flying 35 missions with the 15th Air Force. His classmate and good friend, Albert H. Wagner C’44, provided this obituary.

Kathryn Wyckoff Weidman DH’44, Haverford, Pa., Aug. 3.

back to top

1945

Dr. Peter F. Fedi Jr. C’45 D’46, Sun City Center, Fla., a retired dentist; June 1, 2004.

Murray Popky W’45, Ottawa, August. He was a former president of the local Penn alumni club.

Bartlett K. Simpson W’45, Tempe, Ariz., April 27.

back to top

1947

Dr. Charles C. Benz GM’47, Westlake Village, Calif., a retired physician; Aug. 19, 2002.

Thomas W. Johnston Jr. W’47 WG’48, Wallingford, Pa., a management consultant with the Hay Group from 1955 until his retirement in 1990; May 31. At Penn he was a member of Phi Sigma Kappa. He worked as an accountant with Atlantic Refining before taking the position at Hay. An avid amateur radio operator for 53 years, he was active in local radio clubs. In retirement he devoted much time and some travel to another hobby, genealogy. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. His wife is Helen (Lois) Smith Johnston NTS’47, and one of his children is Dr. Susan L. Johnston CW’74 Gr’99.

Dr. George C. Risman Gr’47 M’50, Birmingham, Ala., an internist for 35 years; June 22.

Thomas F. Theurkauf C’47, Glastonbury, Conn., Nov. 3, 2003.

Dr. Joseph L. Whelan GM’47, Mancelona, Mich., a retired physician; May 15.

back to top

1948

Emil F. Krynik W’48, Media, Pa., Feb. 19, 2005.

Dr. Charles Long II M’48, Tampa, Fla., a retired physician; Aug. 8. He had served in the U.S. Army during World War II.

Dr. Robert T. Parker GM’48, Rochester, N.Y., a retired physician; 2004.

Dr. Richard S. Refowich GM’48, Bethlehem, Pa., a retired physician; Jan. 17, 2005.

Dr. Harvey E. Reitz GM’48, San Leandro, Calif., a retired physician; April 4.

Dr. Franklin R. Root WG’48 Gr’51, Jenkintown, Pa., professor emeritus of international management at the Wharton School; Aug. 4. Known by Russell, his middle name, he spent the summers of 1949 and 1950, while a student at Penn, working as a research economist for the United Nations. His first teaching appointment was as a faculty member at the University of Maryland. He taught at Wharton from 1955 until his retirement in 1993. During the 1960s he also held teaching positions at the Copenhagen School of Economics and Business Administration and the U.S. Naval War College. In 1970 he served as a regional adviser on export promotion in Santiago, Chile, for the United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America. His books include International Trade and Investment; Entry Strategies for International Markets; and International Strategic Management. He was elected Fellow of the Academy of International Business in 1983 and served as president, 1980-82, and as dean, 1987-90. From 1990 to 1991 he was president of the International Trade and Finance Association. During World War II he served as a combat infantryman in the U.S. Army, landing in Normandy shortly after D-Day. Wounded in combat, he was awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star. Following his retirement, he compiled his wartime letters, poetry, and memoirs for his family. His daughters are Michele Root-Bernstein CW’75 and Valerie Root Wolpe C’79 GEd’84, whose husband is Dr. Paul Root Wolpe C’78, a senior fellow at the University’s Center for Bioethics. Two of his sons are Jonathan F. Root C’84 G’85 GPU’87 and Peter E. Root C’77, whose son is Austin F. Root C’99.

Dr. William K. Runyeon M’48, Wyomissing, Pa., a retired physician; June 8.

Walter W. Shearer W’48, Hummelstown, Pa., a retired attorney; June 2. At Penn he was a member of Sigma Nu fraternity. He practiced law in Harrisburg from 1950, and was a founding partner and president of the law firm Shearer, Mette, Evans & Woodside, PC. He retired from the law firm of Eckert, Seamans, Cherin & Mellott, LLC. In 1979 he served as president of the Dauphin County Bar Association. During World War II he was a B-17 pilot with the U.S. Eighth Air Force in the European Theater, for which he was awarded an Air Medal with two clusters and a presidential unit citation.

Abraham B. Solow WEv’48, Haverford, Pa., a former partner of Friedlander Dunn & Company, an accounting firm; July 3. His children are Rachel M. Solow C’78 and David R. Solow GCP’77 WG’77; his daughter-in-law is Mary Forstein Solow PT’76.

Dr. Mark M. Walter Jr. M’48, Sharon, N.H., a retired physician; April 25.

back to top

1949

Dr. Clyde A. Kirchhoff GM’49, Santa Paula, Calif., a retired physician; Nov. 28, 2003.

Walter A. Macht ChE’49, Feasterville, Pa., a retired chemical engineer; June 17. A member of the American Chemical Society and the American Academy of Licensed Engineers, he was also a “rock hound” in mineralogy and enjoyed jewelry-making. He was an organ donor through the Gift of Life organization. His brother is William E. Macht Ed’43 GEd’48.

Dr. Mario A. Monticelli CCC’49, Havertown, Pa., a retired dentist; Aug. 24.

Bernard J. Taylor II W’49, West Chester, Pa., former chair and CEO of Wilmington Trust; Aug. 6. He began his banking career in 1951 at the old Fidelity Trust Co. in Philadelphia. He spent nearly three decades there, rising to CFO of Fidelcor Inc., its parent company. In 1979 he left to become president of the Wilmington Trust Co., a small bank with assests of $200 million; at his retirement in 1992, the assets totaled $4.3 billion. He remained on its board until 1998. He sang baritone and played leading roles in operettas with the Savoy Company of Philadelphia for 20 years. And he was a former chair and long-serving board member of the old Pennsylvania Opera Theater, which he had helped found in 1976. During World War II he was an artillery radio operator for the U.S. Army in the Pacific.

Donald W. Titlow C’49, Radnor, Pa., a retired sales and advertising executive; May 25. He sold advertising in Ohio before joining Chilton Publishing Co. in Radnor, where he published several auto industry trade magazines for 15 years. He retired from Waller Associates, an advertising company, in 1990. Every August, for more than 40 years, he sculpted storybook characters and political caricatures in sand on the beach at Stone Harbor, N.J. He also carved in wood, and his whimsical figures were exhibited in area art shows, according to his daughter, Christine. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army in the Pacific.

back to top

1950

Dr. Raymond S. Elliott M’50 GM’82, Mesa, Ariz., an obstetrician and gynecologist in Arizona, from 1954 until his retirement in 1986; Aug. 9. He delivered over 8,000 babies before he stopped counting. He “enjoyed telling wonderful stories about his antics during medical school,” according to his family. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps as a B-29 bomber pilot in the Pacific who flew over 35 combat missions; he received, among other honors, the Air Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross. In 1990 he took a reminiscent journey to the Marianas to walk again on the airstrips of Tinian.

Henry L. Hood III W’50, Portland, Ore., Aug. 4. He had worked in banking and real estate before retiring. During World War II he served in the 75th Infantry Division of the U.S. Army; he fought in Ardennes in the Battle of the Bulge, for which he received a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star.

Erwin F. Schoenbrunn G’50, Ridgefield, Conn., a retired senior research technologist for Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.; Jan. 18, 2005. His wife is Dorothy Rinehart Schoenbrunn CW’46 and one of his daughters is Carol R. Schoenbrunn CW’72.

John A. Schweder W’50, Bethlehem, Pa., a regional director for the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue, until his retirement in 1993; June 9. Known as “Bull,” at Penn he was an All-American football player who played all four seasons. In 1949 he made 14 tackles against Navy to lead Penn to a 28-7 victory, and was named an All-American. He went on to play one season with the Baltimore Colts and then five seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He was assistant football coach at Villanova University, 1956-58, and was then a line coach at Lafayette College, where he also coached freshman baseball. During the 1960s and 1970s he coached the Pottstown Firebirds football team. Leaving football in 1978, he was appointed director of parks and public property for the city of Bethlehem, a position he held for 10 years. He then joined the state Department of Revenue. A cancer survivor for 22 years, he was a volunteer with the Cansurmount program of the American Cancer Society. Active with the United Veterans of Bethlehem, he was a founder of the city’s Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. And he was a member of the Pennsylvania State Sports Hall of Fame. He had served in the U.S. Army stateside and in Korea.

Alan D. Williams Jr. W’50 L’53, Doylestown, Pa., a retired attorney and former Pennsylvania state representative; June 16. He began his career as an assistant district attorney in Doylestown before becoming an associate with the firm of Eastburn & Gray. He was later a partner with the firm before opening his own practice in 1963. He retired in 1994. In the 1950s he founded the Bucks County Republicans and was later assistant chair of the Bucks County Republican Party. He represented the county in the Pennsylvania House from 1959 to 1967. Describing himself as a progressive, moderate Republican, he sometimes backed Democrats if he thought they were the better candidates, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. In 1966, after running for Congress as a Republican without party backing, he lost in the primary. Disillusioned with the Republicans, he then became a staunch Democrat, said his son Keith. He ran for Congress as a Democrat in 1972, losing in the general election. He had served in the U.S. Army with the military police in Italy.

back to top

1951

Dr. William Keegan Buchanan M’51, Hudson, Ohio, a retired anesthesiologist; May 29.

Edward J. O’Neill W’51, Willow Grove, Pa., Aug. 20.

Dr. Edward C. Remnick D’51, Paramus, N.J., a retired dentist; Jan. 4, 2004.

Arthur L. Shievitz W’51, Deerfield, Ill., March 4.

Dr. Ford M. Sophocles D’51, Wallingford, Pa., a retired dentist; May 29. His son is Dr. Dean Ford Sophocles D’87. His brothers are Dr. Aris M. Sophocles GM’55 and Dr. George M. Sophocles D’62.

back to top

1952

Warren H. Bree W’52, West Palm Beach, Fla., chief investment officer and a senior portfolio manager of WHB/Wolverine Asset Management, Inc., an investment advisory firm that he founded in New York in 1990; Aug. 16. He pioneered a style of portfolio management that advocated the use of convertible securities as a separate asset class, offering clients a unique alternative to traditional equity investing. He began his Wall Street career with Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and Smith and went on to work for A.M. Kidder and Lehman Brothers. He achieved partnership status with Shearson Hammill, DuPont Glore Forgan, Cowen and Co., L.F. Rothschild, and Oppenheimer and Co. He was a founding member of Montammy Golf Club in Alpine, N.J., and served as the club’s first greens committee chair. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War.

Dr. Richard T. Davis GM’52, Portland, Ore., a retired physician; July 16.

Arlene A. Hartung Nu’52, Boothwyn, Pa., Oct. 21, 2004.

1953

Kirkham A. Anderson WG’53, Dallas, the head of Kirk Anderson and Associates; March 1.

Albert M. Greenfield Jr. W’53, Glenmoore, Pa., chair of Greenfield Realty Co.; June 25. He began his career at Albert M. Greenfield & Co., Inc., his father’s real estate firm. In 1956 he founded Greenfield Realty Co., Conestoga Investment Group, and the Greenfield Group, which developed real estate in Arizona, Florida, and the Caribbean. He taught real estate at Immaculata University and served on the college’s development council. A conservationist and member of the Wallace Township planning commission, he was one of the drafters of the Open Space Zoning Plan that became the basis for Pennsylvania’s Growing Greener program. His farm, on which he planted 100,000 seedlings under a land-conservancy program, was an original William Penn Grant and is listed on the National Historic Register as the former home of Edward Hunter, one of the founders of the Church of the Latter Day Saints. A lifelong Democrat, he served on the executive committee od the Pennsylvania Democratic State Committee for 12 years and the executive committee of the Chester County Democratic Committee for 37 years, where he was a past vice president and chair. “I think it is fair to say that Albert was in the vanguard of progressive politics in Chester County,” said Pennsylvania governor Edward G. Rendell C’65 Hon’00. “He was gentle, decent, and incredibly likable … Despite all those qualities, he could be tough fighting for things he believed in.” He was a major American breeder of champion Weimaraner dogs for 45 years; one of his dogs, given to Princess Grace Kelly as a wedding present, appears with her on a Life magazine cover. He established Valhalla Brandywine Kennels, the Brandywine Shooting Dog Association, and the Brandywine Gun Club. And he was an American Kennel Club judge. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and, later, in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve; during the Korean War he was a master sergeant drill instructor at Parris Island, S.C., and Quantico, Va. In 1984 the family foundation, in honor of his father, established at Penn the Albert M. Greenfield Intercultural Center, which celebrated its 20th anniversary last year. (See “Gazetteer,” Nov./Dec. 2004). His extensive Penn family includes his wife, Barbara Littman Greenfield CW’53; one of his sons, Albert M. Greenfield III W’78; and a grandson, Jason L. Greenfield C’04. His brother is Gordon K. Greenfield WEv’42 and his sister is Elizabeth G. Zeidman CW’43.

Marjorie F. Lombardi NTS’53, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., Oct. 22, 2003.

Kenneth F. May WEv’53, Satellite Beach, Fla., May 23.

Dr. Irwin J. Polk M’53, Minneapolis, a pediatrician and allergist, who also worked for Hoffman-La Roche, the pharmaceutical company; Dec. 5, 2003. He was the author of two books: one on asthma and another on figure skating. And he had been a nationally syndicated medical columnist. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.

Dr. George L. Schnable Gr’53, Lansdale, Pa., a retired chemist; Aug. 7.

Robert M. Schulster C’53, Reading, Pa., April 4.

Roland G. Shemeley WEv’53, Willingboro, N.J., Jan. 20, 2005.

Frederick J. Spitz EE’53, Wilson, N.C., president of F.J. Spitz Engineering Co., his own firm; Oct. 5, 2004.

Hon. Raymond W. Uliase C’53, Cherry Hill, N.J., an attorney since 1957, and a partner with the law firm of Uliase and Uliase; Aug. 1. He formerly served as solicitor for several South Jersey municipalities.

Marilyn Davies Wolf FA’53, Lansdale, Pa., April 5.

Arthur S. Zankel W’53, New York, a financier who gave Carnegie Hall $10 million for a recital space that bears his name; July 28. He began his career as a general partner with Hallgarten & Co. From 1965 to 1997 he was a managing partner of First Manhattan Co. As an investment manager, he specialized in real estate investment through his own firm, High Rise Capital Management. He was a member of Citigroup Inc.’s board from 1986 until 2004, when he reached the mandatory retirement age. A trustee of Skidmore College and Columbia University’s Teachers College, he underwrote Reading Buddies, a tutoring program for Harlem youths. In the late 1990s he and his wife donated $10 million to fund a new $100 million venue at Carnegie Hall, where he often attended events and took music appreciation classes. The intimate, 600-seat Judy and Arthur Zankel Hall opened in 2003. As vice chair of Carnegie Hall, he also managed the site’s endowment fund; under his guidance it grew to $124 million. Citigroup chair Sanford Weill, who called him “my closest friend and adviser,” said, “He could see through situations [and] could help one reach a conclusion rapidly that was filled with common sense.”

back to top

1954

Dr. Harold C. Cox C’54, Hightstown, N.J., an educator, former councilman, and mayor of Hightstown; July 10. As a child he attended Penn football and basketball games with his father. Known as “Skip,” he was social chair of Delta Tau Delta fraternity and became “Willie the Quaker” at Penn football games. He later served as an officer of his class. Dr. Cox was a teacher, guidance counselor, and house master in the East Windsor Regional School District for 36 years, where he also served as director of student and community services. Deeply interested in children, he was a co-founder of Cox Pre-School of Hightstown. First a councilman, he was mayor of Hightstown from 1979 to 1982. Robert Patten, the current mayor, described him as “Mr. Hightstown,” saying “he was the model for caring about your town and being proud of it.” A past president of the Hightstown Historical Society, he most recently served as the announcer for the borough’s Memorial Day parade last May. The Jaycees honored him as Outstanding Young Man in 1966. He received the LeRoy Pullen Award in 1993 and the Mayor’s Shining Star Award in 1998. A past elder of the Presbyterian Church, he was a deacon in the Baptist Church, both in Hightstown. He was a Korean War veteran.

Dr. Robert D. Kirk M’54, Belden, Miss., a retired physician; Nov. 22, 2004.

Dr. Harry F. Lenhardt GM’54, Phoenix, a retired physician; Dec. 2, 2004.

Dr. Robert E. Price Jr. GM’54, Wilmington, Del., a retired physician; June 8.

Dr. Lindley M. Winston Jr. M’54, Malvern, Pa., a retired psychiatrist and founding member of the American Association of Community Psychiatrists; Aug. 14. Along with his private practice, he served as a psychiatrist for numerous hospitals and clinics in the Philadelphia area, including the Institute of Pennsylvania Hospital, Community Services for Human Growth in Paoli, and Family Service of Chester County in West Chester. He received awards from the American Medical Association, the American Psychiatric Association, and the Eastern Pennsylvania Alliance for the Mentally Ill.

back to top

1955

Dr. Charles W. Curran Sr. D’55, Wynnewood, Pa., a retired dentist; Sept. 28, 2003.

Mary Teresa Green NTS’55, Wallingford, Pa., Aug. 8.

Dr. Frank E. Winter GM’55, San Leandro, Calif., a retired physician; Nov. 13, 2004.

back to top

1956

Dr. Robert M. Chambers GM’56, Tacoma, Wash., a retired physician; Jan. 9, 2005.

Dr. Robert L. Foster D’56, Philadelphia, a retired dentist; Oct. 13, 2004.

Dr. Marian E. Molthan GM’56, Cranfills Gap, Tex., a retired physician; Oct. 10, 2004.

Gary B. Weiss W’56, Clermont, Fla., May.

back to top

1957

Dr. David F. Ditmore D’57, Needham, Mass., a retired dentist; May 21, 2004.

1958

Dr. Frank Dana Law GM’58, Lewistown, Pa., a retired physician; Jan. 23, 2004.

Betty Milchen Marcus SW’58, Providence, R.I., March 2.

George Barnett McNelis L’58, Philadelphia, an attorney; Aug. 22. He had once served as vice president of his class.

1959

Nancy Knight Bubb SW’59, Montoursville, Pa., May 19, 2004.

Dr. Hugh E. Fraser Jr. GM’59, Burlington, N.C., a retired physician; May 22.

Michael P. Stein W’59, Palm Desert, Calif., Sept. 27, 2004.

Dr. Joseph N. Vizzard GM’59, Scotts Valley, Calif., a physician in Lafayette and San Jose, Calif., for 40 years; May 19. He was also an amateur sculptor. He had served in the U.S. Navy.

back to top

1960

Richard I. Cuthbert C’60, Wynnewood, Pa., a director of the global public-relations unit of PricewaterhouseCoopers, until his retirement in 2003; Oct. 2. At Penn he won the annual undergraduate award for creative writing. A member of the track team, he held the Penn record in the 120-yard high hurdles for 12 years. And he was one of four members of Penn’s GE College Bowl team that appeared on national television in 1959. He was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. He joined PricewatersCooper in 1990 and was founder and editor of their international news service. For many years he produced the Retiring Partners Book, capturing the final musings of those who had spent their careers at the firm. Peter Horowitz, director of public relations, called him “a fine writer [who] was indefatigable, determined, and committed without reservation or hesitation to quality.” He had been a communications writer and manager with a number of business organizations, including Unisys and Cigna. He also served as vice president for communications of the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, 1986-90. He wrote numerous book reviews for The Philadelphia Inquirer and had recently completed a yet-unpublished novel. His wife, whom he met in a 19th-century English literature class at Penn, is Caroline Brower Cuthbert CW’61.

Col. Ronald M.E. Gibson D’60, Tucson, Ariz., a retired dentist; Dec. 31, 2000.

Edward J. Krushinski WEF’60, Harrisburg, Pa., May 29, 2004.

back to top

1961

Robert W. Hevalow WEF’61, Douglassville, Pa., Jan. 22, 2005.

Dr. Abigail Adams Silvers M’61 GM’67, Ardmore, Pa., a physician and former chief of oncology services at Bryn Mawr Hospital; June 18. She joined the hospital as assistant director of medical education. An oncologist and hematologist there for 30 years, she was chief of oncology services from 1982 to 1993, and served as medical director of cancer programs. She was also a clinical assistant professor of medicine at Thomas Jefferson University. Dr. Silvers was a member of the Lower Merion Board of Health for 16 years, including seven as president. She served on the advisory boards of Hospice, Eldernet, and the Augustinian health committee of Villanova University. And she was medical director of Community Health Affiliates. In 2002 she received the Baldwin School’s Lifetime Achievement Award.

back to top

1962

Dr. Stephen Lake M’62, Santa Cruz, Calif., July 25, 2004.

Monsignor Leon J. Peck G’62, Warminster, Pa., pastor emeritus of St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church; June 13.

 back to top

1963

Dr. Robert D. Rockfeld C’63, Atlanta, a retired physician; 2005.

Judith Weiner Shusterman GEd’63, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., May 3.

Clarence W. Vandegrift L’63, Wynnewood, Pa., an attorney; July 29.

 back to top

1964

Dr. Edward H. Pine D’64, River Vale, N.J., a retired dentist; April 14, 2004.

Bernetta J. Reid SW’64, Wallingford, Pa., a welfare worker in Philadelphia for 25 years; July 10. Earlier she had been a Methodist missionary. She worked as program director of the Germantown YWCA for a few years before joining the Pennsylvania Department of Welfare in 1953. She was promoted to a welfare administrator before retiring in 1973. In 1947 she founded the Tioga Nicetown Civic League and served as its president for 10 years.

back to top

1965

Dr. Ira H. Rex Jr., GM’65, Swansea, Mass., a retired physician; June 21, 2004.

Dr. Bernard Sirota D’65, Commack, N.Y., a retired dentist; Jan. 23, 2005.

1966

Dr. Richard H. Sabot C’66, Williamstown, Mass., the John J. Gibson Professor of Economics emeritus at Williams College; July 6. At Penn he was a member of the crew team and stroked the Men’s Lightweight Eight. He went on to compete several times in the Henley Royal Regatta as a member of Pembroke College Crew while doing graduate work at Oxford University. He spent 10 years on the research staff of the World Bank, later returning as senior economic adviser. He was also senior economic adviser to the Inter-American Development Bank and senior fellow of the International Food Policy Research Institute. Dr. Sabot joined the Williams faculty in 1984; he also taught economics at Columbia, Oxford, and Yale Universities. He was the co-founder and chair of Tripod Inc., an Internet venture that he started in 1992 with two Williams College sophomores. One of the first dot.coms, it led to the area becoming known as “Silicon Village.” Success magazine named him the Johnny Appleseed of the New Philanthropy. When Tripod was sold to Lycos Inc. in 1998, he joined Lycos’ board. He was also a board member of Village Ventures Inc., which provides financial, administrative, and strategic services to a nationwide network of 16 early-stage venture capital funds. And in 1999 he was co-founder and chair of eZiba.com, a small company selling handcrafted goods from artisans worldwide. He was board chair of Geekcorps, a private nonprofit committed to expanding the Internet revolution internationally by pairing skilled volunteers from the high-tech world with small businesses in emerging nations. And he was a founding member of the executive committee of the Center for Global Development, a Washington-based think tank dedicated to reducing global poverty and inequality through policy-oriented research and development. He was the author or co-author of numerous articles and several books, including Economic Development & Urban Migration; Education, Productivity, and Inequality: The East African Natural Experiment; and Beyond Tradeoffs: Market Reforms and Equitable Growth in Latin America. Dr. Sabot was a member of Penn’s Board of Overseers for the College of Arts and Sciences. Active in his community, “he was a very creative individual who paved the way for technology to become an important component of the Northern Berkshire economy,” said John Barrett III, mayor of North Adams. “He demonstrated time and time again that [the area] could be successful as a technology center.” At the time of his death he and his family were working with Cricket Creek Farm in the Berkshires to create an ecologically sound dairy, raising heritage-breed cows on grass and producing high-quality cheeses.

Dr. Wilfried T. Weber Gr’66, Raleigh, N.C., emeritus professor of pathology and former chair of pathobiology at the University’s School of Veterinary Medicine; June 28. He joined the Penn faculty as assistant professor of pathology in 1966; he was promoted to associate professor in 1969. He was professor of pathology from 1975 until his retirement in 2004. Dr. Weber chaired the department from 1983 to 1989. He received the Lindback Award (1975) and the Norden Award for Distinguished Teaching. In 2005 he was chosen by students to moderate the White Coat Ceremony, welcoming third-year students into the veterinary profession. His son is Dr. Andrew B. Weber C’83 and his daughter is Christine E. Weber Nu’85.

back to top

1967

Dr. Eugene A. Barnsteiner WG’67 V’80, Sellersville, Pa., a veterinarian at Alpha Veterinarian Hospital for 25 years; Aug. 19.

Dr. Robert D. Wisch D’67, Odenton, Md., a dentist; July.

1968

Sally Miller CW’68, Sarasota, Fla., a retired high school teacher of English and film; Aug. 15.

Phyllis Rodgers Smith CGS’68, Wayne, Pa., a grade school remedial reading instructor and school counselor for READS, Inc.; May 13. Earlier she had worked for the Chester County Intermediate Unit. She sang in the Wayne Oratorio Society choir for many years. During World War II she served in the U.S. Navy WAVES, as a storekeeper at several naval facilities.

Ronald C. Wiener C’68, New York, a partner at NorthStar Capital Funds, LLC; July 29.

back to top

1969

Barbara J. Crocken SW’69, Philadelphia, Jan. 14, 2005.

Anne Delaney Nicholls Nu’69, Stamford, Conn., a psychiatric nurse and family therapist; March 25. She also taught nursing. Later she served as a hospice volunteer, and worked for the Bookstore of Old Greenwich and Barrett’s Bookstore in Darien, and she was president of the Stamford Art Association. And she was an avid sailor.

1970

Emily B. Simmons CGS’70, West Chester, Pa., May 27.

Pearl S. Sorkin SW’70, Haverford, Pa., Aug. 19.

1971

Brian L. Wagner GFA’71, Philadelphia, an associate professor in the College of Media Arts and Design at Drexel University, where he had taught since 1987; July 8. He specialized in found object art, which he transformed into sculptures and assemblages. In 2002 he received Drexel’s Senior Faculty Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching. He was named interim head of the department of visual studies in 2003. In May Drexel held a retrospective of his work, entitled Collections, which included the installation 5,000 Broomsticks, an architectural sculpture assembled with the assistance of art students from Drexel and other schools.

back to top

1972

Dorothy M. Schacht CGS’72, Athens, Ga., March 3, 2004.

back to top

1973

Byron C. Preiss C’73, New York, the president of Byron Preiss Visual Publications and Ibooks, and a recognized pioneer in digital publishing; July 9. He graduated from Penn magna cum laude. One of his earliest publishing projects, created with artist Jim Steranko while still a student, was The Block, an illustrated tale of two inner-city brothers who choose to walk different paths. Distributed throughout big cities across the country, it became a major success with students and educators. In 1974 he started Byron Preiss Visual Publications, which published an extensive range of material, including a series of books that were the first to use the terms graphic novel and visual novel. His Blacksad 2 received a 2005 Harvey Award for best American edition of foreign material. He was among the first publishers to release CD-ROMs and electronic books. The Words of Gandhi, an audiobook he produced, won a Grammy Award in 1985. A recent line of his celebrity-written children’s books includes works by Jane Goodall, Billy Crystal, Jerry Seinfeld, LeAnn Rimes, and Jay Leno. “Preiss was a subtle, yet seminal force in contemporary popular culture and specifically in the evolution of narrative illustration,” said Steranko, his collaborator and friend. “Often working under severe licensing, financial, deadline, and distribution constraints, he … had a hands-on approach to every stage of production.” He was the co-author of Dragonworld, a novel published by Bantam Books in 1979. Active in local charities, he was co-chair of the UJA-Federation of New York’s publishing committee.

Edward S. Savko WG’73, Carlisle, Pa., March 19, 2004.

Dr. Richard A. Smock ChE’73 M’77, Tucson, Ariz., 2005.

Dr. John G. Voyatzis Gr’73, Allentown, Pa., Feb. 14, 2005.

back to top

1974

Nancy Washor Pierce L’74, New York, a partner in the tax department of Chadbourne & Parke LLP, July 8. She joined the law firm as an associate in 1974, became a partner in 1986, and assumed Of Counsel status in 2000. She specialized in charitable and not-for-profit matters and in tax controversies, advising foundations and public charities on their tax law obligations. In addition she advised individual taxpayers, trusts, and business entities about charitable giving and income and estate planning. She was a former chair of the recruiting committee at the firm. Her husband is Morton A. Pierce L’74.

Robert P. Rogers C’74, Mesa. Ariz., May 30. He had worked for McMurry Publishing in Phoenix. Earlier he was an account executive with Minico Inc. He was president of the Penn-Wharton Club of Arizona and served on the Penn Alumni Council. At his memorial service Robert J. Hitchman, a friend and colleague, remembered him as “a man with a deep understanding of most everything, a Bugs Bunny tie and a decoder ring.”

back to top

1975

Barbara M. Lips CGS’75, Philadelphia, July 12.

back to top

1976

Raul A. S. Roco GL’76, Quezon City, Philippines, a former senator, education secretary, and 2004 presidential contender of the Philippines; Aug. 5. He was a corporate lawyer before being elected to Congress. During the 1960s he became the youngest delegate to attend a constitutional convention (for which he had lobbied) to amend the 1935 Philippine Constitution. From 1983 to 1985 he served as president of the country’s Integrated Bar. Among all legislators of the Eighth Congress of the Philippines (1987-1992), he was adjudged first in overall performance by the Ford Foundation and the University of the Philippines’ Institute of Strategic and Development Studies. As a senator from 1992 to 2000, he made numerous significant contributions to the nation’s education and banking systems, including establishing a new Philippine central bank and creating a new securities regulation code. He wrote several bills targeted at protecting and prioritizing women in the country and included women in major roles in the Department of Education’s literacy program. Out of thanks to his services for women, many women’s groups named him an “honorary woman.” He also drafted a bill that abolished double taxation for Filipinos working abroad. He was given the Bantay Katarungan award for playing an integral role in the senate impeachment trial of then-president Joseph Estrada. In 2001 he became Secretary of Education, at a time when the country’s Department of Education was named by the Asia Foundation as the fourth-most corrupt of its agencies. He instituted many reforms, including allowing free public education through high school for the first time in the history of the Philippines. He made sure that teachers were paid promptly and ended the 3% “service fee” that the department had long been deducting from their pay. In 1998 he ran for president and lost against then-vice president Estrada. He ran again, unsuccessfully, in 2004 against former colleague Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, despite becoming seriously ill during the campaign. Along with his career in law and politics, he also served as a film producer: He was executive producer of the director Lino Brocka’s film, Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang (1974).

back to top

1978

William C. Krieger GFA’78, Philadelphia, Aug. 20.

Gary F. Rosenfeld C’78, New York, June 15.

back to top

1981

Rita D. Coleman C’81, Atlanta, a lawyer in the local district attorney’s office; Feb. 17, 2005.

back to top

1984

Dr. Samuel R. Neff M’84, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a physician; Aug. 11.

back to top

1991

Philip W. Voyagis WG’91, Sudbury, Mass., April 12, 2004.

back to top

1992

Paul D. Bogart WG’92, Gaithersburg, Md., April 12, 2004. He had worked for On Campus Marketing in Bethesda, Md. His wife is Lauren P. Liss Bogart L’92.

back to top

2001

Kathryn E. Goyne C’01, Dallas, Oct. 30, 2003.

back to top

Faculty & Staff

Dr. Frederick V. Brutcher Jr., Haverford, Pa., associate professor of chemistry emeritus; June 14. He joined the Penn faculty as an assistant professor of chemistry in 1953 and was promoted to associate professor in 1960; he taught organic chemistry to graduate students for 35 years. Dr. Brutcher, along with Dr. Theodore H. Roberts ChE’50 G’51 Gr’56 and Nancy Pearson, conformationally analyzed cyclopentane. Later, with Dr. William Bauer Jr. C’58 Gr’62, Dr. Eric J. Leopold Gr’66 and Dr. Richard C. Lugar ChE’62 Gr’69, he analyzed ring D of the steroids and alkyl cyclopentanes with physical data and mathematical techniques. Following his retirement in 1988 he continued to work on simplifying conformational mathematics. During World War II he served for over three years in the chemical warfare service of the U.S. Army and for two years as a second lieutenant in the infantry. He then taught in the University of Okinawa’s chemistry department before coming to Penn.

Dr. Aron Katsenelinboigen, West Orange, N.J., professor emeritus of operations and information management at the Wharton School; July 30. Before coming to Penn he was a faculty member at Moscow State University and was head of the department of complex systems at the Central Economic-Mathematical Institute, Academy of Sciences of the USSR. After emigrating to the U.S. from the Ukraine in 1973, he taught at Princeton University and the University of California, Berkeley. He joined Penn’s faculty in 1978 as research professor of social-systems sciences and in 1981 became professor in that department, chairing it, 1985-86. According to Alan Luxenberg of the Foreign Policy Research Institute (FPRI), Dr. Katsenelinboigen said that he “left the Soviet Union to teach capitalists at Wharton how to make money.” In 1987 he became professor of decision sciences. His title was changed to “professor of operations and information management” in 1993, a position he held until he retired in 2004. Dr. Katsenelinboigen received Wharton’s undergraduate excellence in teaching award in 1997. He became a senior fellow of the FPRI in 1986 and wrote and lectured for the institute on Soviet/Russian politics and economics. His writings include Evolutionary Change: Toward a Systems Theory of Development and Maldevelopment, A Conceptual Understanding of Beauty, and The Soviet Union: Empire, Nation, and System. His sons are Gregory A. Katsenelinboigen C’81 and Alexander Katsenelinboigen C’84.

Dr. Sidney O. Krasnoff. See Class of 1938.

Dr. Thomas W. Langfitt, Wynnewood, Pa., retired vice president of health affairs and director of the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center; Aug. 7. In 1961 he became head of neurosurgery at Pennsylvania Hospital. He came to Penn in 1968 as chair of the neurosurgery department at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He became vice president of health affairs in 1974. He left Penn in 1987 to become president of the Pew Charitable Trusts and head of the Glenmede Trust Co., the bank that handles Pew’s assets. After retiring from Pew in 1994 and Glenmede in 1996, he became president of the College of Physicians. One of his sons is David D. Langfitt C’79.

Dr. Franklin R. Root. See Class of 1948.

Dr. John Sabini, Philadelphia, professor of psychology; July 15. He joined the faculty in 1976 as assistant professor of psychology and was promoted to professor in 1987. He chaired the psychology department, 1991-96. He was chair of the psychology graduate group and director of graduate studies in psychology from 1984 to 1991, and again from 2003 until his death. Dr. Sabini served for many years on the IRB and CGS executive committee. And he chaired the University Council’s facilities committee. In 2003 he won the Dean’s Award for Mentorship of Undergraduate Research. His textbook, Social Psychology, was published in 1992. He was the co-author, with Maury Silver, of Moralities of Everyday Life and its follow-up, Emotion, Character, and Responsibility, both published by Oxford University Press.

Dr. Wilfried T. Weber. See Class of 1966.

Arthur B. White. See Class of 1940.

Dr. Yihong Xia, Wynnewood, Pa., assistant professor of finance at the Wharton School; Aug. 6. She joined Wharton in 2000, where she taught Corporate Valuation to undergraduate and MBA students. She was also active in Wharton’s doctoral program, teaching and serving on a number of dissertation committees. She had received eight grants for her research, as well as the Geewax Terker Prize in Investment Research. And she had published articles in leading academic journals.


©2006 The Pennsylvania Gazette
Last modified 01/05/06

 


Profiles : Events : Notes : Obituaries



Jan|Feb 06 Contents
Gazette Home
Previous issue’s column