????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????


Jan|Feb 2008

1910

1921

1923

1924

1925

1926

1927

1928

1929

1930

1931

1932

1933

1934

1935

1936

1937

1938

1939

1940

1941

1942

1943

1944

1945

1946

1947

1948

1949

1950

1951

1952

1953

1954

1955

1956

1957

1958

1959

1960

1961

1962

1963

1964

 

 

1965

1966

1967

1968

1969

1970

1971

1972

1973

1974

1975

1976

1977

1978

1979

1980

1981

1982

1983

1984

1985

1986

1987

1988

1989

1990

1991

1992

1993

1994

1995

1996

1997

1998

1999

2000

2001

2002

2003

2004

2005

2006

Faculty & Staff

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1924

J. Arch Anderson W’24, Gainesville, Fla., July 17.


1926

Dr. Charles B. Egolf ChE’26, West Chester, Pa., assistant supervisor of the technical-service department of Rohm and Haas Co., until his retirement in 1966; July 24. During World War II he helped develop crack-proof Plexiglas windshields for fighter planes; and he worked on the Manhattan Project, in Oak Ridge, Tenn.


1927

Dr. Morris W. Weinstein C’27 M’30, West Orange, N.J., Jan. 26, 2007.

Ellen D. Dillon Ed’31, Philadelphia, Oct. 21, 2006.

Joshua Lang W’31, Stamford, Conn., Dec. 28, 2006.

Henry J. V. Plank WEF’31, Reading, Pa., Feb. 9, 2007.


back to top

1932

Bernard B. August Ed’32 G’33, Deerfield Beach, Fla., June 13, 2006.

Julius W. Cohn C’32, Vero Beach, Fla., July 7.

Dr. Milton Mazer C’32 M’35, West Tisbury, Mass., Jan. 7, 2007.


back to top

1933

Dr. Randal A. Boyer C’33 M’37, Elverson, Pa., Dec. 11, 2005.

Marian C. Weygandt NTS’33, Drexel Hill, Pa., May 31.


back to top

1934

Dr. Frederick A. Bavendam C’34 M’37 GM’41, Bellevue, Wash., Sept. 9, 2006.

Herbert Schwartz C’34, Palm Beach, Fla., May 28.


back to top

1935

Dr. Paul J. Benson C’35 M’39 GM’46, Silver Spring, Md., May 20, 2006.

Mildred Cohen Mesirov Ed’35, Coatesville, Pa., July 25.

Wallace D. Newcomb L’35, Bryn Mawr, Pa., Dec. 18, 2006.

Bridget Marano Termini Ed’35, Newtown Square, Pa., a language teacher at South Philadelphia High School for over 30 years; June 23. She was founding coordinator of the foreign-language magnet program for the city.


back to top

1936

Dr. Bernhard S. Bohland D’36, Orange City, Fla., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Ithaca, N.Y., for 39 years; Feb. 14, 2007. During World War II he served as a captain in the U.S. Army.

Joseph J. Calabro W’36, St. Davids, Pa., Feb. 2, 2007.

Barbara W. Elwood DH’36, Chenango Forks, N.Y., Feb. 22, 2007.

Lily Lieu Fay CW’36, San Francisco, March 4.

Frances Lee Hodell Ed’36, St. Davids, Pa., Oct. 2005.

John I. Leonard W’36, Berkeley, Calif., Aug. 5.

Dr. Harold S. Stamm W’36, West Orange, N.J., Nov. 5, 2006.

Dr. Charles W.C. Stein Ch’36 GEd’39 Gr’42, Basking Ridge, N.J., Dec. 23, 2006.

Dr. Henry S. Wieder Jr. C’36 M’39 GM’43, Philadelphia, Jan. 14, 2007.


back to top

1937

Dr. Charles W. McGavran II M’37, Santa Barbara, Calif., July 21, 2006.

O. Charles Sherman W’37, Naples, Fla., April 7.

Rhoda Weitzenfeld Simon CW’37, Walnut Creek, Calif., Dec. 2005.


back to top

1938

Dr. Harry Green C’38 Gr’42, Boynton Beach, Fla., vice president of scientific liaison and technology at the old Smith Kline Corp. (now GlaxoSmithKline), until his retirement in 1983; Feb. 19, 2006. At Penn he was awarded the Harrison Fellowship in Chemistry in 1940 and served as an assistant professor in the Graduate School of Medicine. He began his 25-year career at Smith Kline in 1958 as a senior research biochemist, after having served as chief of biochemical research at the Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia. He co-wrote 60 publications, including four with former Penn professor and Nobel Prize-winner Otto Meyerhof. His daughters are Ann Green Frankel CW’70 and Jane Merle Green CW’72.

Barbara Smith Hudnut CW’38, Codorus, Pa., Dec. 21, 2005.

Jay L. Margolis W’38, Marina Del Ray, Calif., manager and then president of Embees store, a family business, until his retirement in 1981; July 31. During World War II he served as a captain in the U.S. Army Air Force, stationed in New Guinea and Japan. His son is Jay L. Margolis Jr. C’70 GEd’72.

Lester T. Neiman W’38, Boynton Beach, Fla., July 21.

Dr. Paul P. Okoniewski D’38, Columbia, S.C., March 8.

Dr. William Serber M’38, Corte Madera, Calif., July 1, 2006.


back to top

1939

Dr. Ralph M. Fusco D’39, Union, N.J., March 19.

Dr. Marcus A. Mintzer D’39, New York, a retired dentist; Dec. 21, 2006.

J. Herbert Ogden W’39, Valley  Forge, Pa., the owner of Ogden Technologies, which developed a static-free fabric for NASA; July 16. At Penn he played varsity football. During World War II he served as a pilot in the U.S. Navy and as an intelligence officer.


back to top

1940

Dr. Frank Brink Jr. Gr’40, Doylestown, Pa., June 6.

Gunnard Z. Johnston GEE’40, Concord, N.H., a retired electrical engineer who had worked on the Apollo space project; June 29.

Gladys Cohen Pearlstine CW’40, Green Pond, N.J., a founding trustee and later chair of Montgomery County Community College in Pennsylvania; July 9. She was a trustee of Ursinus College. Her husband, Raymond Pearlstine W’29 L’32, died in 2000.

Dr. Stanford B. Rossiter M’40, Palo Alto, Calif., April 7.


back to top

1941

Roy F. Dietrich WG’41, Stamford, Conn., the director of procedures and control for Continental Can, until his retirement in 1983; June 2. During World War II he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Army, serving in the Pacific.

Irving  C. Goldfarb CCC’41, Studio City, Calif., March 1.

William S. Kriebel W’41, Ft. Collins, Colo., Jan. 27, 2007.

John C. Parry C’41, Charleston, S.C., a retired public-relations executive with General Electric and Allied Chemical; July 9. At Penn he was a member of Mask & Wig and of Delta Phi fraternity. During World War II he served with the U.S. Naval Reserve in the Pacific, earning seven battle stars for combat operations from the Aleutians to the Philippines; he retired as a commander. His son is Charles T. Parry C’72.

Dr. Jean Giocondo Salines CW’41, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., April 13.

Joseph B. Tobish W’41, Lawrenceville, N.J., Nov. 6, 2006.

Dr. Herbert Volk C’41 M’44, Larchmont, N.Y., March 31.


back to top

1942

Dr. Patricia Woodward  Cautley Gr’42, Madison, Wis., Jan. 26, 2007.

Richard W. Demott ME’42, Lower Gwynedd, Pa., May 2, 2006.

Arthur J. Dreyer W’42, Enfield, Conn., May 25. At Penn he was a member of Phi Sigma Delta fraternity.

William P. Dunbar W’42, Falmouth, Maine, a retired senior sales specialist for Dow Chemical Co.; May 29. At Penn he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity. During World War II he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army in North Africa and then Italy.

Robert C. Grasberger W’42, Newtown Square, Pa., a partner in the Philadelphia law firm of Stradley,  Ronon, Stevens & Young for over 35 years, until his retirement in 1982; July 31. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Force as a flight-squadron executive officer.

June Flowers High CW’42, Bridgeport, W.Va., Aug. 13.

Dr. Gustaaf Keesing D’42, Rye, N.Y., a retired dentist; March 25.


back to top

1943

Edward B. Bergman W’43, Brookline, Mass., a labor lawyer in the Philadelphia law firm of Lipschutz, Solo & Bergman for 30 years, until his retirement in 1985; July 5. During World War II he served as a meteorologist in Scotland with the U.S. Army Air Corps, earning the rank of first lieutenant; he also worked as a vice counsel in Liverpool, for the State Dept., for one year following the war. As a member of the Air Force Reserve, he returned to active duty during the Korean War, serving in the Judge Advocate General Corps in Prestwick, Scotland, until 1953. One of his sons is Lawrence D. Bergman W’74 WG’79 and his brother is David Bergman C’48 G’87.

Stephen D. Cope W’43, Kennett Square, Pa., a computer-systems analyst for the Philadelphia School District for 20 years, until his retirement in 1987; July 18. During World War II he served as an aviation instructor in the U.S. Army Air Corps.

Dr. John E. Fisher M’43, New Castle, Ind., a physician who practiced internal medicine for 34 years; May 21, 2006. During World War II he was a captain in the U.S. Army, stationed in Hawaii.

Randolph S. Lyon C’43, West Chester, Pa., Jan. 1, 2007.

Dr. William A. McMain Jr. M’43, Salt Lake City, Feb. 25, 2006.

Dr. J. Douglas McNair M’43 GM’53, West Covina, Calif., Dec. 8, 2006.

Dr. Francis A. O’Keefe V’43, Roanoke, Va., May 30, 2006.

Ira Earl Robinson W’43, Valley Forge, Pa., a retired businessman; Aug. 9.

Dr. Max G. Shively C’43 D’44, Chambersburg, Pa., Dec. 21, 2006.

Dr. William M. Simons M’43, Manheim, Pa., July 25.

Dr. Harold M.S. Smith V’43, Milford, N.J., July 5.

James R. Steel Jr. C’43, Flagstaff, Ariz., May 19, 2005.

Horace A. Stern C’43 L’48, Elkins Park, Pa., a bankruptcy lawyer for several firms in Philadelphia, including Wexler, Weisman, Maurer & Forman, where he worked for over 30 years; July 21. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.


back to top

1944

Hershel M. Brown C’44, Philadelphia, a newspaper publisher for 28 years; July 14. In 1968 he established Lorraine Publishing Co. in Bordentown, N.J. He published and wrote editorials for The Bordentown Register-News and published The Wrightstown Leader, until his retirement in 1996. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific. His wife is Lorraine R. Blofson Brown CW’43.

Dr. Leo C. Freeman C’44, Philadelphia, a psychiatrist who had maintained a private practice and served in several area hospitals; July 6. He moved his practice to West Chester in 1969 and retired in 2002.

L. Raymond Jones Jr. EE’44 GEE’48, Rydal, Pa., Jan. 13, 2007.

Dr. Henry W. Kulp C’44 V’46, Morgantown, Pa., a veterinarian in private practice until 1963, when he became a field veterinarian for the U.S. Department of Agriculture; April 28. He retired in 1986. During World War II he had served in the U.S. Army.


back to top

1945

Dr. Christopher W. Canino WEv’45 C’47, West Chester, Pa., the retired director of radiology at Episcopal Hospital in Philadelphia; June 13.

Dr. Pearl Cohen Peskin CW’45, Walnut Creek, Calif., June 14.

Dr. Jerome A. Urken C’45 D’46, Langhorne, Pa., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Bordentown, N.J., for over 40 years; Feb. 2, 2007. In 1996 he received the Alumni Award of Merit from the School of Dental Medicine. During World War II he was a dentist in the U.S. military.


back to top

1946

Sarah A. Ely PSW’46, Sunbury, Pa., Dec. 11, 2006.


back to top

1947

Dr. Arnold Blumberg Ed’47 GEd’48 Gr’52, Jerusalem, professor emeritus of history at Towson University in Baltimore; July 10, 2006.

Ralph G. Meisenhelder W’47, York, Pa., vice president of personnel at York International, where he had worked for 37 years, until his retirement in 1988; March 16, 2005.

Dr. Howard P. Steiger GM’47, Pawleys Island, S.C., June 23.


back to top

1948

Frederic J. Durkin W’48, Fayetteville, N.Y., the chief executive officer of Transportation Consultants; March 21. During World War II he served in the U.S. Air Force, earning the rank of sergeant.

Marvin N. Friedman W’48, Clearwater, Fla., May 4.

Dr. Toby A. Greco GM’48, West Chester , Pa., a retired obstetrician-gynecologist who had maintained a practice in South Philadelphia for over 50 years; July 17. He was a former chief of staff at Methodist Hospital. During World War II he was a physician in the U.S. Navy.

Greer B. Hill ChE’48, Wrentham, Mass., April 3.

William F. Koehler Jr. W’48, Hanover, Pa., June 17, 2006.

Edgar E. Kopp W’48, Oklahoma City, Feb. 8, 2007.

Edward B. Lawless Ed’48, Newtown, Pa., a retired coach and athletic director at Philadelphia-area schools; Aug. 13. At Penn he was a quarterback under George Munger. He was a coach and athletic director at Germantown Academy, Chestnut Hill Academy. During the Korean War he served in the U.S. Marine Corps in Korea.

Nancy Dexter Martin CW’48, Westminster, Md., May 26.

E. Vernon McKaig WEv’48 CCC’55, Lancaster, Pa., July 3. He had worked for the E.I. DuPont Co. in Wilmington, Del., for 34 years.

Dr. George W.S. Moore M’48, Venice, Fla., a retired urologist who had maintained a practice in New Castle, Pa.; Aug. 1. He had served in the U.S. Navy and Marines, attaining the rank of lieutenant.

Dr. Carmen M. Nolla D’48, Albuquerque, N.M., March 1.

Charles L. Schaefer W’48, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., June 3.

Herbert M. Somerson L’48, South Dartmouth, Mass., a retired Philadelphia attorney; June 20.


back to top

1949

M. Robert Aaron EE’49 GEE’51, West Palm Beach, Fla., head of the digital-technologies laboratory at AT&T Bell, until his retirement in 1989; June 16.

Arthur N. Agre W’49, Philadelphia, president of Deltron, Inc., a power supply company, for 55 years; June 27.

Aaron Anton EE’49, St. Davids, Pa., July 12.

Evelyn R. Arcudi Ed’49, Columbus, Ohio, Oct. 3, 2006.

John F. Curran W’49, Ambler, Pa., Nov. 25, 2006.

John W. Hirt W’49, Fairfax, Va., May 22, 2006.

Dr. Francis G. Homan Jr. C’49 G’51,  Tacoma, Wash., April 21.

Joseph W. Ratigan G’49, Haverford, Pa., retired professor of English literature at Villanova University, where he had taught since 1948; July 8. He founded the seminar system there and introduced the first course in Irish literature, which led to the school’s current Irish Studies Institute.

Sylvan R. Shemitz W’49, Woodbridge, Conn., a lighting designer whose projects included New York’s Grand Central Terminal, the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, and the CN Tower in Toronto; July 5.

Edward L. Sullivan W’49, Boise, Idaho, June 24.

Ailsa Freeman Wistar CW’49, Lafayette Hill, Pa., June 20. She was a founder of St. Dunstan’s Episcopal Church in Blue Bell in 1962. She was a past president of the Philadelphia chapter of the Colonial Dames of America, and organized fundraising events for the Lemon Hill mansion in Fairmount Park. Her husband is Caleb Cresson Wistar W’43 and two of her sons are Caleb C. Wistar G’84 and James B. Wistar WG’87.


back to top

1950

David Y. Drummond WEv’50, Houston, Tex., April 22, 2006.

Robert N. Goldman W’50, New Rochelle, N.Y., Feb. 21, 2007.

Dr. Stanley Gottlieb C’50 M’54, Blue Bell, Pa., June 17. He began his career as medical director of the space division of General Electric; he left in 1972 to join McNeil Pharmaceuticals, where he worked on new-drug development. He had served as a flight surgeon in the U.S. Air Force.

Dr. John H. Heiser GD’50, Montreal, Mo., a dentist for 36 years; June 1.

Louis J. Lasson W’50, Brooklyn, N.Y., July 21.

Dr. Joseph B. McCoy Jr. M’50 GM’54, Davidson, N.C., former president of obstetrics and gynecology at Bradford Clinic in Charlotte, where he had served on the staff from 1954 to 1989; June 7. He was also chief of obstetrics and gynecology at Presbyterian Hospital and Mercy Hospital, both in North Carolina.

H. Franklin Rice W’50, Malvern, Pa., March 14.

Dr. Theodore A. Rude Jr. C’50 V’52, Hudson, Wis., a retired veterinarian and veterinary pathologist who was known for his expertise in chicken diseases; June 28.

James E. Ryan W’50, Bellevue, Wash., May 29.

Egbert T. Scott C’50, Guayaquil, Ecuador, July.

Frank A. Zagiba WEv’50, Radnor, Pa., a retired CPA for Sun Co.; June 24.


back to top

1951

Harold Adler C’51, Baltimore, a retired architect; May 29. From 1975 to 1980 he worked on restoration in Charleston, S.C., 1978 he received an award for his work on its Market Square.

Oliver C. Boileau Jr. EE’51 GEE’53, St. Louis, an aerospace pioneer who was former president of Boeing Aerospace Co., General Dynamics, and Northrop Grumman; July 27. He began his career in 1951 at RCA in Camden, N.J., working on aircraft electronics. He then joined Boeing in Seattle, where he directed work on a number of space and military projects, including the Lunar Rover and the Minuteman missile program. He became head of Boeing Aerospace Co., the military and space arm of Boeing, in 1973. In 1980 he left Boeing to become president and vice chair of General Dynamics in St. Louis. After planning to retire, he returned to work in 1989 as president and general manager of the stealth- bomber program of Northrop Co. in southern California, and then led the Grumman Corp. operations acquired by Northrop in 1994. He retired as president in 1995.

Thomas N.  Dawson Jr. W’51, Naples, Fla., Feb. 24, 2007.

Dr. Miles E. Drake GM’51, Naples, Fla., Sept. 3, 2006.

John F.A. Earley L’51, Gladwyne, Pa., a partner with the law firm of Harding, Earley, Follmer & Frailey in Valley Forge for 40 years; July 14.

John E. Falini Ar’51, Hockessin, Del., a retired architect; March 9. During his 55-year career he designed residential and commercial buildings, including churches, schools, and shopping centers. During World War II he served with the U.S. Marine Corps in the Pacific. His daughter is Janice E. Falini WG’79.

Dr. Malcolm A. Foster D’51, Northford, Conn., a retired dentist who had maintained a practice in New Haven for nearly 50 years; May 23.

Herbert D. Katz W’51, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., Sept. 23. A devoted alumnus of the University, he and his wife, Eleanor Meyerhoff, were instrumental in establishing Penn’s program in modern Jewish history and recently endowed the Meyerhoff Chair in Modern Jewish History; he was a former chair of the board of overseers of the Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. And he was a former overseer of the School of Arts and Sciences. In 2001 he received the Alumni Award of Merit. As a lawyer and real-estate developer in Broward County, Fla., he was prominent in the incorporation of the town of Davie, serving as its first attorney in the late 1950s. An active supporter of Jewish causes, Herbert Katz served his local, and national and international Jewish communities: he was president of the Jewish Federation of South Broward, and the first president of the Jewish Federation of Broward County following its merger with the Ft. Lauderdale federation. He was a national officer of AIPAC and of the United Jewish Appeal. He was national president of the American Friends of Hebrew University and president of the Israel Education Fund. A founding board member of the Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, he served on its council for two terms. His numerous awards for philanthropic service include an honorary degree from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He had been a lieutenant with the U.S. Coast Guard in Florida. At Penn he was a member of Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity. One of his daughters is Sally Lyn Katz C’82, and two of his sons are Thomas O. Katz W’79, who is married to Elissa E. Katz C’79 (two of their children are Joseph Katz C’08 and Peyton Katz C’11), and Daniel W. Katz C’90.


back to top

1952

Dr. Robert E. Henderson M’52, New Castle, Pa., July 31.

Irving M. Hirsh W’52 L’55, San Francisco, a retired judge of the municipal court of North Plainfield, N.J., who had served for 17 years, from 1973; July 29. He was also a partner in the law firm of Lyness, Bedell & Hirsh. He served in the U.S. armed forces 1955-57, teaching military law at Ft. Gordon, Ga. Two of his sons are William D. Hirsh C’83 and Stephen D. Hirsh C’85.

Jirair S. Hovnanian W’52, Mount Laurel, N.J., founder of J. S. Hovnanian & Sons, a building company which, since 1964, has produced over 6,000 homes in the state; Aug. 14. He and his brothers, including Dr. Vahak S. Hovnanian Gr’59, had formed Hovnanian Brothers Corp. in 1959, before separating five years later to start their own companies. Shortly before his death, his firm completed a house for the ABC television show, Extreme Makeover, Home Edition, providing a free home for a needy family in Pennsauken. In 2006 the National Ethnic Coalition of Organizations, Inc., awarded him the Ellis Island Medal of Honor for outstanding citizenship and his contributions to America. Two of his nephews are Ara K. Hovnanian W’79 WG’79 and Shant S. Hovnanian C’81 and one niece is Edele Hovnanian EAS’81 W’81.

Robert H. Hutchins C’52, Fairfield, Calif., Sept. 4, 2006.

Anthony E. Lynch G’52, Paso Robles, Calif., Jan. 2007.

Thomas W. Nelson WEv’52, Newtown Square, Pa., April 24.

Dr. William F. Wein D’52, De Witt, N.Y., Jan. 14, 2007.


back to top

1953

Dr. James W. Boss Ch’53, Philadelphia, May 30.

Dr. Bert M. Brannan D’53, Greensboro, N.C., a dentist who had maintained a practice there for 46 years; June 27.

Philip M. Joseph W’53, Bradenton, Fla., May 2.

Kenneth R. Lascomb WEF’53, Reading, Pa., Feb. 11, 2006.

Dr. Richard J. Leswing M’53, Bound Brook, N.J., May 9.

Dr. James L. Pendleton C’53 M’57, Bryn Athyn, Pa., a retired psychiatrist who had maintained a private practice for 30 years until his retirement in 1997; June 7.

Dr. D. Cramer Reed GM’53, Wichita, Kan., a urologist who was founding dean of the College of Health Professions at Wichita State University and the University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita; April 11.

Dr. Bruce F. Rothmann GM’53, Hudson, Ohio, June 14, 2006.

Dr. Peter M. Yurchak C’53, Wellesley, Mass., a cardiologist and associate clinical professor of medicine at Harvard University; July 30. At Penn he was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and received the Cane Award. He was director of the cardiology training-program at Massachusetts General Hospital, 1994-2006, and supervisor of the Cardiology Fellows’ Clinic from 1970 to 2007. He received three prizes for excellence in teaching from Harvard Medical School, in 2000, 2005, and 2007. He retired from clinical practice of cardiology in 2005. Dr. Yurchak was the author of numerous articles on cardiology, as well as a widely-used guide for medical students, Essentials of Patient Care. He had served with the U.S. Air Force in the U.K., 1959-61.


back to top

1954

Dr. Charles H. Ewing M’54, Lansdale, Pa.; a family medicine practitioner who later specialized in geriatric medicine; July 14.

Elizabeth C. Modic Nu’54, Line Lexington, Pa., July 9.

Richard H. Newmark W’54, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., a retired, self-employed certified public accountant; June 11.

James L. Owings GEE’54, Purcellville, Va., Jan. 2007.

Dr. William A. Sheridan GEd’54, Havertown, Pa., former principal of the Cramp School in Kensington; June 26.


back to top

1955

Francis James Dallett G’55, Taconic, Conn., retired archivist of the University; July 16. He was secretary and librarian at the Athenaeum of Philadelphia, 1955-62; a research associate of the American Museum at Bath, U.K., 1962-69; and head archivist at Princeton University, 1969-71. He returned to Penn as university archivist in 1971. From then until his retirement in 1984, he led the University in its celebration of the American Bicentennial (1976); published the Guide to the Archives of the University of Pennsylvania from 1740 to 1820 (1978); and prepared a major exhibition, The Centenary of Black Presence at the University of Pennsylvania (1980). He wrote An Architectural View of Washington Square, Philadelphia and Baron von Steuben and His University of Pennsylvania Connections.

Dr. Stephen S. Fox C’55, Iowa City, a retired professor of psychology at the University of Iowa, where he taught from 1965 to 1997; May 31.

James A. Stitzer WEV’55, Schuylkill Haven, Pa., March 3.

Pauline Grant Turner CW’55, Belleair Bluff, Fla., June 19. She had worked for Ladies Home Journal in Philadelphia and was later an elementary-school teacher and secretary. Her husband is Charles H. Turner ChE’56, and one of her granddaughters is Kimberly G. Andersson EAS’10.

Carl M. Vorder Bruegge WG’55, Riverside, Conn., a former manager who had worked for IBM Corp., Leasco, and MCI; May 31.

Janet Jacobs Wilson CW’55, Washington, a retired arts editor and writer; July 9. At Penn she was editor of The Pennsylvania News, the College for Women newspaper. For 15 years, until her retirement, she wrote exhibition catalogues for the Museum of American Art at the Smithsonian Institution.

Gerald L. Wolf W’55, Coral Gables, Fla., Jan. 19, 2007.


back to top

1956

Jean Bartle Deitch DH’56, Coopersburg, Pa., July 6, 2006. Her husband is Dr. Joseph E. Deitch D’56.

John G. Glenn Jr. GEE’56, Ambler, Pa., Feb. 16, 2007.

Dr. Myra Singer Haskin CW’56 GM’63, Wynnewood, Pa., March 2.

Dr. Charles B. Payne Jr. M’56, Germantown, Ohio, emeritus professor of medicine at Wright State University; Aug. 26.

Susan Hoffman Strauss CW’56, Winston Salem, N.C., June 2. She was a former psychologist for the blind.


back to top

1957

Frederick Cohen W’57 L’60, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., an attorney at the Philadelphia law firm of Obermayer, Rebmann, Maxwell & Hippel since 1996; July 24. An expert on family law, he had been the chief support master for Montgomery County Court, since 1994.

Dr. Clifford H. Jordan GEd’57, Philadelphia, professor emeritus of nursing at the University; Aug. 26. His experiences as a medic in World War II led to his decision on a career in nursing, despite the difficulty finding a program that would admit men. He joined Penn Nursing in 1966 as an associate professor, and became the first tenured man on the faculty, before retiring in 1984. He was also, in 1977, the first man appointed to the board of the American Nurses Association. In 1982 Dr, Jordan received the Outstanding Alumni Award from Penn Nursing, and the school honored him with the Lifetime Distinguished Service Award in 2004. After leaving academia, he went on to become executive director of the Association of Operating Room Nurses. The American Academy of Nursing named him a “Living Legend” for his outstanding career in teaching and administration and his contributions to advancing the nursing profession. His wife is Dr. Clara Jordan, associate professor emerita of nursing.

Linda Alexander Muschenheim OT’57, Wayzata, Minn., an elementary-school art teacher; July 27.

Beth Rabenold Oliver Nu’57, Castro Valley, Calif., June 28, 2006.

Dr. Noel D. Wilkie D’57, Brookeville, Md., retired U.S. Navy dentist and an associate professor at Georgetown and New York universities; Oct. 16, 2005. He served in the USN Dental Corps for 28 years, including aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise during the Vietnam War. He also served as director of second-year residencies in prosthodontics at the Naval Graduate Dental School in Bethesda. Upon retirement from the Navy in 1984, he served as an associate professor of dentistry at Georgetown, then as associate professor and director of the prosthodontics program at NYU until 1994. He was instrumental in the founding of the Journal of Prosthodontics.


back to top

1958

Stuart Bermon C’58, Barrington, R.I., April 15.

Dr. L. Robert Davenport V’58, Montrose, Pa., Sept. 1, 2006.

Walter J. Messmer Jr. GEE’58, Cupertino, Calif., May 4.

John J. Muzi C’58, Philadelphia, the owner of Philip’s Restaurant, which his parents had opened in South Philadelphia in 1940; July 9. At Penn he was a member of varsity crew and Marine ROTC. He served in the U.S. Marines for several years, until returning to Philadelphia in 1962 to assist his mother in running the restaurant, which closed in 2001.

Monis M. Ring C’58, El Cajon, Calif., a high-school mathematics teacher in New York for 28 years; Jan. 12, 2007.

Dr. Stanton Segal GM’58, Merion, Pa., a member of the University’s Department of Pediatrics, and a faculty member of the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, for 41 years; April 16. He was an international expert of galactosemia, the genetic disease in children born without the enzyme for processing milk sugar. During his tenure at CHOP, he established what is now known as the Division of Child Development, Rehabilitation, and Metabolic Disease. He introduced mass spectrometry and nuclear magnetic resonance for metabolic research there, and he set up a metabolic diagnostic laboratory that is now a premier laboratory for the study of children with inborn metabolism deficiencies. His research also covered inherited disorders of membrane transport, including cystinosis and cystinuria. He also did extensive research on maple-syrup urine disease, common among Mennonites. He received many research grants and remained at work in his laboratory until shortly before his death. Several of his trainees have become world-renowned authorities in the field of metabolic diseases. Dr. Alan R. Cohen M’72 GM’76, chair of pediatrics at Penn Medicine, noted, “Few physician-researchers ever had so comprehensive a knowledge of human biochemistry and its disorders.” Dr. Segal’s honors include the 1998 Robert H. Herman Memorial Award, presented by the American Society for Nutrition. He was a patient advocate, prominent in the Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects at CHOP, and he served as an advocate for research subjects with Penn’s Clinical and Translational Research Center. Dr. Segal had served on the executive committee of the University’s Faculty Senate and on the Committee on Academic Freedom and Responsibility for the Medical Faculty Senate. Last year one of the parents of Parents of Galactosemic Children, Inc., described him as “one of those shining lights for all of us who have children and young adults with galactosemia. He has the deep respect and admiration of all who knew him.”

Harry Tractman L’58, Radnor, Pa., a former lawyer who ran a regional in-home medical services and pharmacy firm; July 14.


back to top

1959

Dr. Thomas A. Cunningham D’59, Cherry Hill, N.J., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Gloucester City for over 30 years, until his retirement in the late 1990s; June 21.

Ervin L. Davis G’59, Philadelphia, deputy administrator for the Family Court for 30 years, until his retirement in 2002; July 13.

Arthur Klein GEd’59, Philadelphia, July 19. The son of Philadelphia philanthropists Esther and Philip Klein C’28, he edited The Jewish Times, which his father founded, until 1971. From 1959 until 1985 he was owner and president of four cemeteries, including Philadelphia Memorial Park and Haym Salomon Cemetery in Frazer; he founded Great Valley Pet Cemetery in Frazer in 1969. He was treasurer of the Mann Center for the Performing Arts and director of the Rittenhouse Foundation. Through his efforts to maintain Independence Square, he formed an endowment that raised $400,000 to restore the interior of Congress Hall.

Dr. Theophilus S. Lynch Gr’59, Flint, Mich., a retired professor of Romance languages at the University of Michigan, Flint; July 3.

Dr. John C. Mairhuber Gr’59, Bangor, Maine, professor emeritus and retired chair of mathematics at the University of Maine, Orono, where he had taught since 1968; June 13.


back to top

1960

Cecil Maidman C’60, Philadelphia, Jan. 7, 2007.


back to top

1961

Edward Levin WEv’61, Delray Beach, Fla., March 18.

Dr. Norman Balfour Levin Gr’61, Carmel, Calif., a retired professor of languages at the University of North Dakota; July 9. He had taught at Penn.

William J. McKendrick C’61, Norristown, Pa., Jan. 4, 2007.

Robert A. Smith W’61, East Hampton, Conn., July 16.

Richard K. Stevens L’61, Philadelphia, a partner with the law firm of Strong, Stevens and Wyant in Plymouth Meeting, Pa.; May 19.


back to top

1962

Linda Babb NTS’62, Langhorne, Pa., June 30.

Robert E. Hoagland CGS’62, Philadelphia, a genealogist who had specialized in 18th- and 19th-century Philadelphia families; July 8.

Dr. Charles V. Perrill GM’62, Penney Farms, Fla., June 6.

Patience Perot Walden W’62, Lincoln, Calif., June 13. She had owned plus-size women’s stores in Palo Alto, San Jose, and Cupertino.


back to top

1963

Dr. S. Marjorie Hosfeld GM’63, Newtown Square, Pa., director of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Paoli Hospital from 1978 until her retirement in 1988; Aug. 5. Earlier she had been an obstetrician-gynecologist in Harrisburg.

Dr. Robert E. Kaye M’63, New York, an obstetrician-gynecologist who had maintained a practice there for 44 years; Aug. 10, 2006. His daughter is Hilary Kaye Kronowitz C’90 and his brother is Michael H. Kaye C’67 WG’70.

Ersell Burgess Maddox SW’63, Philadelphia, a retired social-work coordinator in the maternity and infant-care division of Crozer-Chester Medical Center; Aug. 5. She hosted a public-service radio program, Personal Money Management, on WDAS (105.3 FM).

Thomas N. Toner FA’63 GFA’64, Dallas, Tex., May 23.


back to top

1964

James B. Crummett W’64 L’67, Brigantine, N.J., a trial attorney who had earlier served as a Philadelphia public defender; July 17. At Penn he was a member of Sigma Nu fraternity. He also taught law at Rutgers University.

Marjorie J. Davis GNu’64, Langhorne, Pa., June 7.

Dr. William K. Grollman W’64, Thornwood, N.Y., a former Robert M. Schaeberle Professor of Accounting at Pace University; Oct. 30, 2006. He wrote The Accountant as Business Advisor (1986).

Rev. David J. Wartluft G’64, Robesonia, Pa., director of the library at the Lutheran Theological Seminary of Philadelphia from 1966 until his retirement in 2002; July 9. Earlier he had been a pastor at Jerusalem Western Salisbury Church.


back to top

1965

Francis W. Frohnhoefer G’65 WG’78, Alexandria, Va., May 29, 2006. He had worked for the Catholic University of America.

James W. Smith WEv’65, Wilmington, Del., Nov. 29, 2006.

1966 | Ronald Kasper WEv’66, Reading, Pa., Feb. 4, 2007.

Garrison T. Russell W’66, Pawleys Island, S.C., a retired chartered financial analyst who had worked in the personal-asset management division of the Bank of New York; June 30.

1967 | George T. Brubaker L’67, Lancaster, Pa., Aug. 2006.

N. Dennis Burke ChE’67, Seattle, a corrosion engineer for 40 years and  co-founder of Corrpro Companies; June 6. He moved from Philadelphia to Seattle in 1991 to become the company’s Northwest regional manager, and left it in 1996 to form N.D. Burke Associates. His wife is Patsy Royce Burke Nu’67.


back to top

1968

Dr. Richard G. Durnin GrEd’68, Cranbury, N.J., April 25.

Jane Preuhs Harney Nu’68, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., May 29, 2006.


back to top

1969

Jeffrey A. Bishop W’69, Arnold, Md., vice president for development at St. John’s College; July 7.

Devey R. Comer G’69, Philadelphia, a neuropsychologist who treated brain injuries, dementia, and learning disabilities; June 30. She was a co-founder of a Penn-affiliated program for the study and treatment of child abuse. Since 1999 she had maintained a practice in Danville, Pa.

Bruce L. Evans C’69, Orwigsburg, Pa., Feb. 14, 2007.

Mary L. Schreiter CW’69, Covington, Wash., Dec. 9, 2006.

Robert E. Seigman GEd’69, Baltimore, April 10, 2006.


back to top

1970

Dr. Alan E. Beer GM’70, Los Gatos, Calif., an obstetrician-gynecologist who had founded the American Society for Reproductive Immunology; May 1, 2006.

Elliot J. Rothschild GAr’70, Philadelphia, April 29, 2006.

Raymond M. Sauer GFA’70, Seekonk, Mass., Jan. 29, 2007.


back to top

1971

Lawrence J. Rosania G’71, Mount Laurel, N.J., a retired accountant with the New Jersey State Treasury Department; July 22.

Gérard J. Thulliez WG’71, Brussels, chair of Lead-Cap Partners; June 22. He was a former managing director of McKinsey in Paris. He was a charter member of Wharton’s European Executive Board, and a former president of the Wharton Club of France.


back to top

1972

Philip E. Stead CE’72 GCE’74, Abington, Pa., July 12.


back to top

1973

Dr. Duane Ball Gr’73, Philadelphia, co-owner of the Palladium, a campus restaurant, from 1983 to 2003; June 19. It was located in the old Christian Association building (now the ARCH), and had a grotto cafetaria, The Gold Standard, in its basement; an earlier, off-campus restaurant was also called the Gold Standard (1979-83). Later he co-ran Abbraccio, another restaurant, near the campus. He had taught economics at Penn.

Eugene G. Gualtieri WEv’73, Broomall, Pa., an estimator and project manager for general construction in the Philadelphia area; March 19.


back to top

1974

Robert H. Lyon WG’74, Chicago, CEO and co-CIO of Institutional Capital, an investment-management firm; July 3. He joined ICAP in 1976, where he worked as a securities analyst for five years; after working for Fred Alger Management, 1981-88, he rejoined ICAP as executive vice president and director of research. During 1991 he led a group of senior staff that bought out the firm’s founder.


back to top

 1975

Frederic M. Reed CGS’75, New York, president of Frederic M. Reed & Co., a real-estate firm he founded in 1975; July 29. He was also president of Sheltering Arms Childrens Service.


back to top

 1976

Dr. Ann E. Kelley C’76, Madison, Wis., the Wisconsin Distinguished Professor of Neuroscience and a professor of psychology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where she had taught since 1996; Aug. 5. At Penn she served as a Young Alumni Trustee, 1978-81. She specialized on brain mechanisms underlying drug addiction and obesity. She had served as editor-in-chief of Behavioral Neuroscience.


back to top

 1979

Beverly Briggs GLA’79, Philadelphia, a landscape architect; July 31.

John J. Keogh WEv’79, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., May 7.


back to top

1980

J. Wilson Borden Jr. WG’80, Bryn Mawr, Pa., an engineer and executive who worked in his family’s engineering business, John Borden & Bro., Inc., for over 25 years; Aug. 17.


back to top

1981

Catherine Ann Glavin WG’81, Idaho Falls, Jan. 28, 2007.


back to top

1982

James B. Kenary III WG’82, Worcester, Mass., Jan. 19, 2007.


back to top

1984

Scott H. Flamm WG’84, Short Hills, N.J., Jan. 9, 2006.


back to top

1986

Dr. Alan L. Hillman GM’86 WG’86, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., professor of medicine and healthcare systems and associate dean for Health Services Research at the School of Medicine; May 24. He had been a faculty member at the University since 1984 and at the Wharton School since 1987. He became associate dean in 1996 and had served as director of the Center for Health Policy of the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics since 1990. Earlier he had been director of the clinical-programs management-research project (1988-90), associate director of the University’s Medical Group (1987-90), and medical director of HealthPASS (1987-90). He had previously worked for New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Hillman received the University’s Medical Student Government Excellence in Teaching Award in 1992. The author of several publications, he received the Article of the Year Award from the Association for Health Services Research in 1991. He was a consultant to numerous companies and served on the editorial board of several professional journals, including Health Services Research, Healthcare System Strategy Report, and Managed Care.


back to top

1991

Dr. Gail L. Addlestone C’91, Nashville, Tenn., a pediatrician; July 22. She was also a clinical instructor in pediatrics at Vanderbilt University.

Roy Eiji Nemoto WG’91, Lafayette, Colo., May 3.


back to top

1997

Dr. Sridhar R. Charagundla M’97 Gr’00, Wayne, Pa., assistant professor of radiology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania since 2005; June 1. He was known as “a truly accomplished physician and scientist, with an excellence in teaching and commitment to the advancement of medicine.”


back to top

Faculty and Staff

Dr. Norman Balfour Levin Gr’61. See Class of 1961.

Dr. Duane E. Ball. See Class of 1973.

Dr. Sridhar R. Charagundla. See Class of 1997.

Francis James Dallett. See Class of 1955.

Dr. Alan L. Hillman. See Class of 1986.

Dr. Clifford H. Jordan. See Class of 1957.

George C. Keller, Baltimore, former chair of the higher-education division at the Graduate School of Education; Feb. 28, 2007. He came to Penn in 1988. After retiring in 1994, he worked as a writer and educational consultant. He wrote Academic Strategy: The Management Revolution in Higher Education; Transforming a College; and Prologue to Prominence. His last book, Colleges, Universities, and the New Society, will be published posthumously by Hopkins Press.

Dr. Herbert S. Levine, Ardmore, Pa., professor emeritus of economics and an expert on the economy of the former Soviet Union and post-Soviet Russia; June 10. He joined the faculty in 1960 as an assistant professor of economics and became professor in 1969. In addition to teaching, he chaired the graduate group in economics and was founding co-director of the Lauder Institute. He retired in 2006 after 47 years of teaching. Dr. Levine studied the controlled economy of the USSR. In the 1970s he participated in a federal project to build a computer model of the Soviet economy. Later, as an authority on perestroika, he advised the U.S. State Department and corporations hoping to do business with Russia and former Soviet countries. For several years he conducted summer workshops on the challenges of the transition of Soviet-style socialism and bureaucratic planning to modern capitalism and a market economy. He received several awards, including the Irving B. Kravis Prize for Distinction in Undergraduate Teaching (1988 and 1991) and the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching. Known as a scholar with a great heart, Dr. Levine helped students fulfill their potential in any way he could, occasionally even financially. One of his daughters is Jan P. Levine C’80.

Dr. Carlos Lynes Jr., Paris, professor emeritus of Romance languages; April 6. He joined the department in 1945 as a teacher of French; he was promoted to associate professor in 1947 and to full professor in 1953. He retired in 1975 after serving the University for 30 years. The author of scholarly editions of Marcel Proust and Albert Camus, he remained in close contact with former students, many of whom visited him in Paris.

Dr. Stanton Segal GM’58. See Class of 1958.


Profiles : Events : Notes : Obituaries



Jan|Feb 08 Contents
Gazette Home
Previous issue’s section

NOTIFICATIONS
Please send notifications of deaths of alumni directly to: Alumni Records, University of Pennsylvania3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
<record@ben.dev.upenn.edu>
Newspaper obits are appreciated.

©2008 The Pennsylvania Gazette
Last modified 02/04/08