Gladys Cameron Stark Ed’31, Harleysville, Pa., a former teacher in the Philadelphia school system; Sept. 8. She was 101 years old. A life member of the Alpha Xi Delta women’s fraternity, she was awarded the Order of the Diamond in 2004.
Walter B. Macky WEv’32, Milford, Del., retired business manager of what is now Penn’s School of Engineering and Applied Science; Sept. 25. He was 103 years old. After working as an accountant for American Viscose Co. during the 1950s, he joined Penn in 1963 and served as the Towne business manager until retiring in 1978. In 2007, at age 100, he won a gold medal in the 1,500-meter racewalk at the National Senior Olympics. During World War II he served in the US Army Air Corps, attaining the rank of captain.
William O. Mehlich W’33, Rye, N.Y., a retired commercial real estate developer; Sept. 8. During World War II he was a lieutenant commander in the US Navy.
Dr. Paul Mecray Jr. M’34 GM’41, Medford, N.J., former chief of surgery at Cooper University Hospital; Sept. 1. He was 102 years old. During World War II he and other Penn doctors formed the 20th General Hospital, which served combat casualties and Japanese prisoners in India and Burma for three years. His son is Paul M. Mecray III WG’62.
Charles S. Schwarz W’36, Eatontown, N.J., retired vice president of marketing at the Godinger Silver Art Company; Aug. 26. At Penn he was a member of the football and boxing teams and served as vice president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.
Bian B. Walker Jr. C’36, Haddonfield, N.J., the retired postmaster of Mt. Pocono, Pa.; Sept. 23. During World War II he served with the US Army in the Pacific, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel; he was awarded the Silver Star.
Thomas F. Wands W’36, DeLand, Fla., retired senior vice president of operations at Sears, Roebuck and Co.; Aug. 17. A highlight of his 44-year career was heading the planning and construction of the Sears Tower in Chicago. During World War II and the Korean War he served in the US Army.
Thomas I. Parkinson Jr. L’37, Stamford, Conn., former partner in the New York law firm of Milbank, Tweed, Hadley McCloy LLC; Aug. 9.
Minerva Lehrman Brown CW’38, Keene, N.H., retired director of the Post-Graduate School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York; June 5.
Walton Coates W’38 L’41, Glenside, Pa., a retired attorney and longtime secretary of the Montgomery County Bar; Aug. 24.
Janet Schafer Fleisher CW’38, Elkins Park, Pa., retired former owner of what is now the Fleisher/Ollman Gallery in Philadelphia; Aug. 2. She co-founded it in 1952, and (in 1958) Gallerie Philadelphia on the Left Bank in Paris, which closed in the 1980s. A son-in-law is Sheldon Bonowitz W’59, one of whose sons is Erik Fleisher Bonowitz C’94.
Robert P. Magid W’38, West Palm Beach, Fla., a retired business owner and realtor in New Jersey; June 15. During World War II he was a second lieutenant in the US Army.
John P. Bracken L’39, Nazareth, Pa., retired managing partner of the Philadelphia law firm of Morgan, Lewis & Bockius; Sept. 19. He served in the US Navy during World War II and the Korean War, for which he received many awards before retiring as a captain.
Joseph S. Breskman C’39, Bryn Mawr, Pa., retired chair and CEO of Sentry Paint Technologies, Inc., a firm he founded in 1949; Sept.30. He provided the funds for a reproductive-development laboratory at Pennsylvania Hospital. During World War II he served in the US Navy in the Pacific, including two years on Guam as a meteorologist. His wife is Dorothy S. Breskman Ed’47 and one of his sons is Dr. Ellis L. Breskman C’72.
George W. Wallace W’39, Mamaroneck, N.Y., a retired executive at Reader’s Digest magazine; Aug. 11. An active alumnus, he was a member of The Benjamin Franklin Society. During World War II he served in the US Army and was awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, and three Purple Hearts.
BACK TO TOP
R. Bernard Alexander W’40, Kennett Square, Pa., the retired advertising sales director and publisher of Business Week magazine; Aug. 11.
Howard Bernstein W’40, New Rochelle, N.Y., a retired certified public accountant; April 17. He was a veteran of World War II.
Lt. Col. Fred J. Held III WEv’40, Bellevue, Neb., April 27. Retired from the US Army, he had served in World War II and the Korean and Vietnam wars.
John Perakos W’40, Wellington, Fla., Oct. 6. During World War II he served with the US Army Air Corps in the South Pacific, for which he was awarded two Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart.
Albert H. Curtis II WG’41, Exeter, N.H., retired vice president of New England Life Insurance Co.; Sept. 22.
Grace Schimmel Portner CW’41, Dresher, Pa., Aug. 15.
Nathaniel W. Roe C’41, Peterborough, N.H., June 6, 2009. He was retired from Roe International, a family business. During World War II he served with the US Navy in the Atlantic and Pacific, taking part in the battle of the Okinawa.
Carl E. Wagner Jr. W’41, Towson, Md., Sept. 11.
Gordon S. Bodek C’42, Los Angeles, emeritus trustee of the University; Sept. 10. At Penn he was a member of Phi Delta Phi fraternity, the Mask & Wig Club, Kite & Key, and the rowing and lacrosse teams; he had worked on The Daily Pennsylvanian. A highly visible advocate for Penn on the West Coast, he had served as president of the University of Pennsylvania Club of Southern California, chair of the California development committee, a director of the Southern California Regional Advisory Board, and a board member of the Wharton Club of Los Angeles. He was appointed to the Trustees of the University of Philadelphia in 1978, where he served on the development, external affairs, facilities and campus planning, and student-life committees. Gordon Bodek also served as an overseer for both the School of Arts and Sciences and the Graduate School of Education. In 1986 he received the Alumni Award of Merit. He and his wife established the Gordon and Muriel Bodek Gift Annuity for student financial aid, the Gordon and Muriel Bodek Scholarship, and the Bessie and Harry Bodek Scholarship; at the University Library, they helped set up the Muriel Pfaelzer Bodek Lecture and endowed the Bessie and Harry Bodek Music Room (named after his parents); they endowed the Gordon S. Bodek Lecture of Distinguished Educators in the GSE; and also provided support for Athletics and the School of Nursing. Bodek Lounge in Houston Hall is named for their family. Gordon Bodek devoted his professional life to Bobrick Washroom Equipment, Inc., a manufacturer of commercial washroom accessories, from which he retired as president. He was vice president of the Los Angeles Natural History Museum Alliance, vice chair of the budget division of the United Way, and a member of the executive board of the Los Angeles chapter of the American Jewish Committee. In 1985 he was presented with the Humanitarian Award from the National Conference of Christians and Jews. During World War II he served as a US Navy pilot. He held various commands and was awarded the Air Medal and a British Citation for Service as officer in charge of a US Navy Squadron detachment on Malta. His son is Hanley Bodek C’77.
William J. Crosson W’42, Blue Bell, Pa., retired head of export services at Leed’s and Northrup Co.; Aug. 1. At Penn he was captain of the golf team and a member of Alpha Chi Rho fraternity.
Raymond E. Goodwin W’42, West Hartford, Conn., March 31. He was retired from the Aetna Life Insurance Co. During World War II he served in the US Army Air Corps, including a tour of duty in Guam.
Lyman D. Gridley W’42, Elmira, N.Y., the retired owner-operator of his own Lincoln Mercury automobile dealership; July 22.
Jennie A. Branin Percy NTS’42, Charlotte, N.C., retired nurse with Prudential Life Insurance; Sept. 6.
Dr. Lee Rogers Jr. M’42, Cocoa, Fla., a retired surgeon who had maintained a practice in Rockledge; Sept. 1.
Cmdr. Vernon D. Stanford C’42, Indian Harbour Beach, Fla., a retired US Naval commander who received the Distinguished Flying Cross and four Air Medals for his service in the Pacific during World War II; Aug. 11.
Jane L. Barr Boyer NTS’43, Belleville, Pa., a retired nurse and life insurance agent; Aug. 13.
Joe B. Griffith Jr. L’43, Dallas, April 13. He had worked in real estate management. During World War II he was a member of the US Marine Raiders, a guerilla fighting force in the Pacific.
Miriam E. Breinich NTS’44, Chalfont, Pa., a retired school nurse and reading specialist; Sept. 1. During World War II she served as US Army nurse.
F. Elaine Turville Delaney CW’45, Winchester, Mass., Aug. 2.
Dr. Catharine Pugh Fussell Ar’45, Kennett Square, Pa., March 22, 2007.
Margaret Renwick Johnstone GEd’45, Sauchie, Scotland, Sept. 3.
Virginia P. Simmons Moorhead DH’45, Lecanto, Fla., a retired dental hygienist; Aug. 16.
Patricia J. Sullivan Falconer G’46, Bedford, Mass., a retired teacher of history and social studies at Lexington House School; Sept. 23.
Dr. Harlan F. Fulmer M’46, Fresno, Calif., a retired pathologist at St. Agnes Medical Center; Sept. 2. He was a US Air Force flight surgeon in Nagoya, Japan, 1948-9.
Dr. J. Gordon Rubin D’46, Sarasota, Fla., Aug. 25.
Dr. James M. Tanner M’46, Wellington, Somerset, UK, a pediatrician who created the Tanner scale for measuring child and adolescent development; Aug. 11. His published works include A History of the Study of Human Growth (1981) and Foetus into Man: Physical Growth from Conception to Maturity (1990).
Richard T. Ambrogi C’47, Ocala, Fla., retired vice president of Petroleum Oil Co.; Aug. 6. He had been a major and jet pilot in the US Marine Corps.
Leo G. Andrian W’47, El Cerrito, Calif., retired founder of Paradise Products, an international mail-order company; Sept. 2. At Penn he was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. During World War II he served with the US Navy in the South Pacific aboard the carrier USS Bunker Hill.
Josephine M. Cipriani Antoni Ed’47, Oreland, Pa., July 31.
Harold H. Brenner WG’47, Cary, N.C., July 20. He was retired from what is now now Tyco Electronics Corp.. During World War II he served in the US Army Air Force.
Mary R. McWilliams Busby G’47, Southern Pines, N.C., a retired real estate agent; Oct. 10.
Harry I. Drendall GEd’47, Coplay, Pa., a retired high-school music teacher; Aug. 20. During World War II he served with the US Marine Corps in the Pacific.
Lucille Till Kane PSW’47, Seattle, retired supervisor of adoption at the Children’s Home Society of Washington; July 22. She was 100 years old.
Dr. Harvey C. May GM’47, Charlotte, N.C., a retired obstetric-gynecological surgeon; Aug. 8. During World War II he was a major in the US Army Medical Corps, 35th Hospital Division, in the South Pacific.
Dr. William L. Shelley M’47 GM’54, Carlisle, Pa., a retired plastic surgeon; Sept. 29. During the Korean War he was a captain in the US Army.
Dr. John H. Updegrove M’47, Easton, Pa., retired chief of surgery at Easton Hospital; Aug. 21. During the Korean War he was a captain surgeon with the US Army, and during the Vietnam War he served as a volunteer civilian physician in Vietnam.
Leslie Walhimer W’47, Hamden, Conn., Dec. 10, 2006.
Elbert Brodsky W’48, East Rockaway, N.Y., a retired certified public accountant; Aug. 13.
Dr. Marylizabeth Wellington Crandall Gr’48, Cincinnati, Sept. 7. She had taught science courses at Temple University’s nursing school. Her husband, Dr. Dana I. Crandall Gr’45, died in 2004.
Jack P. Edmundson Sr. WEv’48, Aldan, Pa., a retired accountant for Arthur H. Thomas Co., and a former mayor of Aldan; Sept. 5. During World War II he served with the US Army’s 28th Artillery Division at the Battle of the Bulge and occupation of Berlin.
Dr. Harold H. Gist GM’48, Smithsburg, Md., a retired physician; June 24, 2007. During World War II he served with the US Army Medical Corps in China, Burma, and India.
Ruth Michener King CW’48, Ottawa Lake, Mich., Oct. 4.
Dr. Ralph Koliner GCE’48 Gr’56, Upper St. Claire, Pa., a retired professor of civil engineering at Villanova University; Sept. 8. He had also taught at Penn.
Melvin F. Lemler W’48, San Antonio, retired senior vice president for marketing and sales promotion at Joske’s of Texas; June 18.
Kenneth Osiason W’48, Tampa, Fla., retired co-founder of Stanley Chair Co., Florida’s oldest furniture factory; Aug. 29, 2009.
Dr. Oscar M. Powell Jr. M’48 GM’52, San Diego, former clinical professor of radiology at the University of California at San Francisco; July 9. He served as a combat field doctor with the First Marine Division during the Korean War.
Walter R. Rodgers III L’48, Mercer Island, Wash., retired regional counsel for the Department of Housing and Urban Development; Aug. 25. During the Korean War he served in the US Air Force.
Helyn Long Romberg Ed’48, Stanwood, Wash, a retired nurse; Oct. 1.
Edward R. Schweizer WG’48, Bowling Green, Ky., retired professor of accounting at Western Kentucky University; July 30.
Grace O’Malley Sullivan NTS’48, Goshen, N.Y., retired director of the Women’s Health and Family Planning Clinic at New York Hospital; Aug. 29.
Donald R. Vinson ME’48, Hometown, Pa., Sept. 27. He was retired from Atlas Powder Co. in Reynolds.
H.A. Arthur Wiegand ME’48, Chatham, N.J., a retired managing engineer for the Ingersoll-Rand Co.; April 15. At Penn he was a member of Tau Beta Pi fraternity. During World War II he served in the US Navy.
Nelle Vastine McCabe CW’49, Wynnewood, Pa., Aug. 29.
Richard J. Thomas W’49, Milan, Ohio, retired corporate controller at the Van Dresser Corp.; April 26. At Penn he was a member of Delta Tau Delta fraternity. During World War II he served with a US Army Air Corps bombardment squad in Europe.
BACK TO TOP
Dr. Alvin J. Cummins GM’50, Carmel, Ind., former professor and head of gastroenterology at the University of Tennessee; Sept. 27.
Dr. Stanley Edeiken M’50 GM’57, Highland Beach, Fla., a retired physician in New Jersey, who had served on the staffs of Monmouth and Jersey Shore Medical Center (then Fitkin Hospital); Sept. 5. Later in his career he specialized in diseases of the breast. One of his daughters, Linda Edeiken CW’72, recalled that “Walking down the street with Dad was like walking with a celebrity. People were always coming up to him with a story of how he cared for them, or a relative, and of their gratitude.” He served in the US Army, 1954-56, attaining the rank of captain.
Edward H. Klingler W’50, Waltham, Mass., retired vice president of stock transfer at Lincoln First Bank; Aug. 11. During World War II he served as a flight trainer with the US Army Air Corps in Cuba and in Guam.
Rev. George S. Knieriemen Jr. C’50, Arden Hills, Minn., a retired Presbyterian minister who had served congregations in New Jersey and Milwaukee; Sept. 25.
Norman A. Koss EE’50, Sonoma, Calif., Oct. 8.
Paul E. Lamoreaux W’50, Toms River, N.J., Sept. 9. He was retired from PSEG Gas. At Penn he received the Gold Key Award. During World War II he served in the US Army.
Dr. Marilyn Auerbach Lashner Ed’50 GEd’54, Philadelphia, Aug. 24. Founder of media-analysis firm, she served as an expert witness in libel, copyright infringement, and plagiarism litigation. She wrote The Chilling Effect in TV News: Intimidation by the Nixon White House (1984).
Frank C. Ricords Jr. L’50, Ocean City, N.J., March 13, 2009.
Harry C. Rotenbury WEv’50, Philadelphia, a retired manager for Cigna; Aug. 22. As a signalman for the US Navy Armed Guard during World War II, he was part of the famed Murmansk Run in the Arctic.
Ellen Drace Warner NTS’50 Nu’50 GNu’65, Tucson, Ariz., retired executive director of the Moorestown Visiting Nurse Association in New Jersey; Aug. 6.
Dr. Joseph Winsten GM’50, Lexington, Mass., a retired plastic and reconstructive surgeon; March 1.
Dr. Ross O. Bell Jr. M’51, Wheeling, W.Va., a retired pathologist and director of the clinical and anatomical laboratories of the Ohio Valley Medical Center; July 5.
Donald M. Collins L’51, Berwyn, Pa., a retired attorney with the law firm of Stradley, Ronon, Stevens & Young; Aug. 25. He was also a member of the original faculty of Villanova University’s law school.
Patricia R. Marlowe Fishler NTS’51, Bangor, Pa., a retired nurse with what is now Pocono Medical Center; April 16.
Stanley F. Harms Jr. W’51, Marco Island, Fla., a retired senior vice president of Commercial Union Insurance Companies; Sept. 16. He had served with the US Merchant Marine Cadet Corps in the Pacific late in World War II.
Robert F. Hartman Jr. WG’51, Rockledge, Fla., Oct. 30, 2009.
Dr. Frank E. Jaumot Jr. Gr’51, Barrington, Ill., a former assistant professor of physics at Penn; Aug. 14. While teaching at Penn until 1956, he concurrently was chief of the physics of metals section at the Franklin Institute Laboratories in Philadelphia. He then joined General Motors in Kokomo, Ind., where he remained until retiring in 1984.
Dr. John M. Keller GM’51, Naples, Fla., a retired obstetrician-gynecologist, who had maintained a practice in Lincoln, Neb.; Aug. 18.
Dr. Walter E. Knouse Jr. C’51 D’53, Lumberville, Pa., a retired dentist; Sept. 16.
Donald L. Saron W’51, Houston, former head of the old Kuppenheimers Outlet Store, which he had opened in 1976; June 6. At Penn he was a member of the basketball and track teams, earning a medal in track. During the Korean War he served in the US Army. One of his sons is Michael L. Saron EE’79 GEE’81 WG’81.
Dr. Carl M. Shetzley M’51, Doylestown, Pa., a retired physician; July 1.
Harrison T. Worsinger C’51, Philadelphia, March 24.
Charles Zernow W’51 WG’56, Dearborn Heights, Mich., Sept. 22. He had worked for the Ford Motor Co. During the Korean War he served in the US Army.
Philip Carroll L’52, Ellicott City, Md., a retired attorney; Sept. 4. He had lived in Doughoregan Manor, built by an ancestor who had signed the Declaration of Independence.
Ira B. Coldren Jr. L’52, Uniontown, Pa., a retired attorney; Aug. 25, 2008. He was a former head of the Pennsylvania Bar.
Jeremy E. Goldstein W’52, West Caldwell, N.J., June 19.
Carl M. Huffman Jr. D’52, Spartanburg, S.C., a retired accountant with First State Savings and Loan; Oct. 5.
John N. Lee W’52, Allentown, Pa., retired asset manager for the former Median Bank (now Wells Fargo); July 31. He was a past president of Penn’s Alumni Club. During the Korean War he served in the US Army.
Robert H. Robinson W’52, Fairlawn, Ohio, retired co-founder of a diecasting firm; Aug. 15. At Penn he was coxswain of the lightweight crew that won at the Henley Royal Regatta in 1951.
Dr. George R. Devine D’53, Longboat Key, Fla., a retired oral surgeon, who had taught at Tufts University for many years; Aug. 26.
Harris Ominsky W’53 L’56, Merion, Pa., a retired partner and co-chair of the real-estate department of the law firm Blank Rome LLP; Aug. 16. At Penn he was a member of the law review. For many years he taught for the Philadelphia Bar Institute, receiving the Harrison Tweed Special Merit Award from the American Law Institute in 1988. A regular columnist for the Legal Intelligencer, he wrote Real Estate Practice: New Perspectives (1996) and Real Estate Lore: Modern Techniques and Everyday Tips for the Practioner (2007). He had served in the US Army. His wife is Rosalyn Rutenberg Ominsky CW’61, whose brother is Dr. Harold L. Rutenberg C’56. One of Harris Ominsky’s brothers is Dr. Mark Ominsky C’62 and his son-in-law is James P. O’Toole C’85.
Paul Leo W. McSorley L’54, St. Petersburg, Fla., Oct. 3. A retired Philadelphia attorney; Oct. 3.
Robert B. Tillman W’54, Downingtown, Pa., May 14.
Dr. George R. Hunt Gr’55, Mendota Heights, Minn., a retired senior research scientist for the 3M Co.; July 27.
Howard H. Ockelmann G’55, Palos Verdes Estates, Calif., a retired investment officer for the old Atlantic Richfield Co. and JP Morgan; Sept. 12. He had taught economics at Penn.
Dr. W. Harker Rhodes V’55 GV’58, Douglassville, Pa., emeritus professor of radiology at both Penn’s School of Veterinary Medicine and the School of Medicine; Sept. 29. From 1955 until his retirement in 1985, he was a faculty member in the veterinary school with a joint appointment in the medical school. He received a Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1965. Dr. Rhodes played a major role in the development of veterinary radiology; he was a founding member and past president of the Educators in Veterinary Radiologic Science and past president of the American Veterinary Radiologic Society. He was a charter member and chair of what is now the American College of Veterinary Radiology, which honored him with its distinguished-service award in 1999, and a founding member of the International Veterinary Radiology Society. From 1963 to 1979 he was the first editor of Veterinary Radiology. He had served as a radiology technician in the US Navy, 1943-46. His daughter is Anne H. Rhodes C’84 G’85, and his former wife is Augustine Janeway Rhodes CW’51.
Dr. Charles J. Rife GM’55, Mechanicsburg, Pa., a retired ophthalmologist; Sept. 25.
Dr. Bernard H. Ross W’55, Bethesda, Md., emeritus professor and former head of the Center for Urban Public Policy Analysis at American University; July 31. He co-wrote the college text Urban Politics: Power in Metropolitan America.
Dr. William S. Szypula D’55, Amsterdam, N.Y., a retired dentist; Aug. 14.
Dr. Robert S. Feller D’56, Mammoth Lakes, Calif., a retired dentist; Sept. 2.
Dr. James R. Iverson GD’56, Woodinville, Wash., a retired oral and maxillofacial surgeon; Sept. 24.
Dr. Harvey L. Glass Gr’57, West Hartford, Conn., a retired clinical psychologist with the Connecticut Children’s Service; Aug. 24.
Mead Smith Karras G’57, Gaithersburg, Md., a retired writer for the Bureau of Labor Statistics; Aug. 17.
Franklin A. Spungen W’57, Water Mill, N.Y., retired CEO of the Hamptons Paper Co.; July 2. His wife is Deborah A. Spungen CW’58; their son is David M. Spungen C’83.
Dr. Alexine L. Atherton GEd’58 Gr’62, West Grove, Pa., a former professor of political science at Penn; Aug. 15. One of the first women hired to teach in the department, she served on its faculty for seven years before taking a position at Lincoln University in 1969, where she remained until retiring in 2001. As an advocate for prisoners’ rights, she spent many hours visiting women inmates; a president of the Pennsylvania Prison Society, she also edited its journal.
Carol Messaros Kleponis Nu’58, Broomall, Pa., June 29.
Elaine Weinberg Mandell CW’58, Greenwich, Conn., July 30, 2008.
Dr. Filiz K. Ofluog˘lu WG’58, Istanbul, a retired professor at Middle East Technical and Bog˘aziçi universities; Jan. 2010. She was a translator of works by American novelists and dramatists, which were staged across Turkey.
Sidney Bailey III CGS’59, Penns Park, Pa., retired owner of Green Lane Turf Farm; Aug. 23.
Robert F. Jackson Ar’59, Amherst, N.H., a retired architect; Aug. 29.
Barbara Heulings Norman CW’59, Greensboro, Md., Sept. 19.
Byung Chan Simeon Park W’59, Seoul, chair of Samchang Corp.; Sept. 8. At Penn he was a member of the varsity soccer team and Alpha Chi Rho fraternity. A loyal and active alumnus, he was instrumental in setting up the Penn-in-Seoul program. He received the Alumni Award of Merit in 1997. One of his sons is Wan-Kyu Eddy Park W’93 and his brother-in-law is Dr. Bong-Suh Lee W’59.
Margaret A. Warner Watson NTS’59, Harborcreek, Pa., a retired operating-room supervisor; Sept. 12.
Morris Zacher W’59 L’62, Bryn Mawr, Pa., an attorney; Sept. 22. He had taught religious studies at local colleges.
BACK TO TOP
Paul E. Klingensmith G’60, Selinsgrove, Pa., a retired assistant professor of English at Susquehanna University, who specialized in 19th-century British literature; Sept. 20. He served in the Pennsylvania National Guard, retiring as a sergeant, and was a member of the First City Troop, Philadelphia City Cavalry. His wife is Linda MacRoy Klingensmith G’62.
Arthur C. Ward Jr. Ed’60 GEd’61, Blue Bell, Pa., Nov. 15, 2009.
John A. Way W’60, Wayne, Pa., Aug. 17. His career in marketing for the information technology industry included a stint at IBM Corp. At Penn he was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity and the football team.
Dr. William F. Wieland M’60 GM’65, Atlanta, former director of the state Department of Drugs and Alcohol; Oct. 4.
Margaret A. Garrity NTS’61, Leland, N.C., a retired nurse with the Fairfax County Health Department in Virginia; Aug. 21. She was a member of Sigma Theta Tau sorority.
Marianne Black Lowrey NTS’61, North Palm Beach, Fla., Sept. 20.
Dr. Herbert N. Appel D’62, New York, Aug. 15.
Morris S. Cohn W’62, Boulder, Colo., founder of the Grainery, a Denver natural-food store; Aug. 31.
Dr. Glen J. Gallagher GAr’62, Cape Town, April 9.
Berjoohy Haigazian GEd’62, Mt. Laurel, N.J., retired associate dean of students at Rutgers University-Camden; Aug. 26.
Alan M. Lerner W’62 L’65, Philadelphia, practice professor of law at the University; Oct. 7. He joined the faculty in 1993 as an associate practice professor after a 25-year career with the law firm of Cohen, Shapiro, Polisher, Shiekman & Cohen. He was made practice professor in 1999. Since 2002 he had been the leader of the Law School’s interdisciplinary child-advocacy clinic, and was a co-director of Penn’s Field Center for Children’s Policy, Practice and Research.
Dr. John T. Lopatofsky V’62, Meshoppen, Pa., a veterinarian; Sept. 9.
Dr. John B. Hoffman D’63, Lebanon, Pa., a retired dentist; Aug. 19.
Dr. Erwin S. Raffel GD’63, Brooklandville, Md., a retired periodontist; Sept. 13.
Carla Furstenberg Cohen GCP’64, Washington, founding co-owner of Politics and Prose, a bookstore; Oct. 4.
Dr. Peter J. Cohen GM’64, Garrett Park, Md., former professor of anesthesiology at Penn’s Medical School; Aug. 14. After teaching at Penn in the late 1960s, he went on to serve as chair of anesthesiology at the University of Colorado and University of Michigan during the 1970s and 1980s. He then worked as a policy expert for the National Institute on Drug Abuse. He earned a law degree from Georgetown University in 1995, and taught there. An advocate for the legalization of medical marijuana, he wrote Drugs, Addiction, and the Law: Policy, Politics, and Public Health (2004).
Frank A. Dobson C’64, Palm Springs, Calif., a retired architect; Aug. 28.
Raymond I. Noyes GEd’64, Haverhill, Mass., a retired high school teacher of mathematics and physics; April 6.
Leonard A. Shapiro W’64, Naples, Fla., managing director of Emerald Realty Advisors LLC in Washington, and chair of W&B Investors, Inc., a real-estate development and investment firm; Aug. 1. At Penn he was a member of the Mask & Wig Club and the golf and swim teams. He served as vice president of his fraternity, Sigma Alpha Mu. A trustee of the University from 1997 to 2006, he was president of Penn Alumni from 2000 to 2003. Leonard A. Shapiro served on the overseers board of the Graduate School of Education, the University committee for undergraduate financial aid, and the Wharton Real Estate Advisory Board. He also served as president of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Advisory Board and on his local Secondary-school committee. He established the Leonard A. Shapiro Trustee Scholarship, the Leonard A. Shapiro Music Fellowship, the Leonard A. Shapiro Term Chair in Music, and the Leonard A. Shapiro Music Performance Fund. He also supported the building renovation of the Graduate School of Education and Penn Athletics. He was posthumously awarded the 2010 Alumni Award of Merit (see page 62). His daughter is Alexandra Cudby C’91 WG’97.
Gundega Fitins Berzins OT’65, Lansdale, Pa., a retired occupational therapy administrator; Sept. 11.
W. Robert Hey WEv’66, Daytona Beach, Fla., a real estate developer; March 31.
George P. Micklos WEv’66, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., a retired accountant; Aug. 14.
Edward A. Tobin C’66, New Rochelle, N.Y., a social worker for Westchester County; Aug. 27.
Andrew N. Gettes GEd’67, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., a retired chemistry teacher for Philadelphia schools; Sept. 27.
Thomas F. Vietor III C’67, Katonah, N.Y., retired chair of Marsh Finpro Global; Oct. 1.
John T. Kehner L’68, West Chester, Pa., a retired attorney with the law firm of Lamb McErlane; Sept. 23.
Brian T. Keim L’68, Rydal, Pa., retired head of the business and finance group at the law firm of Ballard Spahr; Aug. 26. He had worked on the merger in 1988 that formed the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
BACK TO TOP
Stanley S. Epstein C’70, New Bedford, Mass., June 20.
William R. Hammond W’70, Gibsonia, Pa., vice president of sales for Fox IV Technologies; Sept. 1. At Penn he was a member of the football team.
Helen C. Tank LaRose Nu’70, Cherry Hill, N.J., Aug. 21.
Kathleen M. Maher Nu’70 GNu’74, Brick, N.J., a retired assistant professor of nursing at Monmouth University; July 23.
Dr. Michael B. Bongiovanni C’72 M’76 GM’80, Harrisburg, Pa., chief of the division of clinical pathology and director of the clinical laboratories at Penn State Hershey Medical Center; Aug. 21. He was also a professor of pathology at Penn State University. Earlier he had worked at HUP as director of the hematology laboratory and associate director of the blood bank, and had taught in the School of Medicine.
Charles D. Swanson PT’73, Eden Prairie, Minn., a retired physical therapist; Nov. 10, 2007.
J. Jerome Nykiel WG’76, Elmira, N.Y., director of securities trading at John G. Ullman and Associates; Oct. 8.
Hector A. Martinez Jr. L’76, Jamaica, N.Y., July 3.
Dr. Carter Zeleznik Gr’78, Ambler, Pa., a former clinical psychologist at the Betty Bachrach Home in New Jersey; Aug. 26.
BACK TO TOP
Dr. Philip H. Young Gr’80, Greenwood, Ind., director of the Krannert Memorial Library at the University of Indiana; Jan. 7, 2009.
Clifford H. Schwartz C’83 W’83, Rock Hill, N.Y., an accountant who had worked in large corporations in Manhattan for many years; Aug. 30.
Richard J. Hurder L’85, Houston, June 17.
BACK TO TOP
Florina Mariana Gogarnoiu WG’95, Wynnewood, Pa., an artist and management consultant; Aug. 30. Her husband is Dr. Dumitru Gogarnoiu D’89 GD’92.
Gary T. Shipe GEx’98, Emmaus, Pa., July 23. He worked for Air Products and Chemicals.
BACK TO TOP
Ronen Katz EAS’06 W’06 GEng’06, New York, a vice president of Angelo, Gordon & Co., a hedge fund and private-equity firm; Sept. 19.
BACK TO TOP
Faculty and Staff
Dr. Alexine L. Atherton. See Class of 1958.
Dr. Myles L. Bass, Moorestown, N.J., a lecturer in entrepreneurship and management at the Wharton School, from 1977 to 2001; Oct. 1. He also had a long career helping launch businesses, sometimes with recent Wharton graduates. Since 1962 he had run a college-entry tutoring business.
Dr. Michael B. Bongiovanni. See Class of 1972.
Dr. Marvin Carmack, Bloomington, Ind., a former professor of organic chemistry; July 6. He joined the Penn faculty in 1941. He later taught at Indiana University.
Dr. Michael P. Cava, Brookline, Mass., former professor of chemistry; Sept. 29. He came to Penn in 1969 and remained here until 1985, when he accepted the Ramsay Chair of Chemistry at the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, from which he retired in 2004. He was a Guggenheim Fellow (1984-5).
Dr. Peter J. Cohen. See Class of 1964.
Dr. Frank E. Jaumot Jr. See Class of 1951.
Dr. Elizabeth Slusser Kelly, Oro Valley, Ariz., director of the Biddle Law Library from 1984 to 2001; July 14. She was prominent in the transformation of the Law Library, culminating in the relocation to Tannenbaum Hall in 1993. Also a professor of law, she became the first woman emeritus faculty member of the Law School. She also received the distinguished-service award from the Law Alumni Society.
Dr. Ralph Koliner. See Class of 1948.
Dr. Igor Laufer, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., professor of radiology; Sept. 14. He joined the faculty in 1976 and became a full professor four years later. During his tenure, he was the chief of gastrointestinal radiology at HUP from 1976 to 1997. He was residency training director for the radiology department (1993-2000) and its residency selection director. Dr. Laufer was known for pioneering techniques in double-contrast gastrointestinal radiology, and he wrote the text Double Contrast Gastrointestinal Radiology (1979). He was the president of the Society of the Gastrointestinal Radiologists, 1984-86, and in recognition of his life’s work in 1991, he received its highest honor, the Walter B. Cannon Medal. He won the Outstanding Educator Award from the Philadelphia Roentgen Ray Society in 2005. His daughter is Dr. Miriam K. Laufer M’97 and his son is Jacob M. Laufer C’96.
Alan M. Lerner. See Class of 1962.
Dr. Moshe Lewin, Paris, emeritus professor of history; Aug. 14. He came to Penn in 1978. He was awarded a Guggenheim fellowship in 1995; he retired and became emeritus that same year. A prominent scholar of Russian and Soviet history, Dr. Lewin wrote many books, including Lenin’s Last Struggle (1968), Political Undercurrents in Soviet Economic Debates (1974), The Making of the Soviet System (1985), and Stalinism and the Seeds of Soviet Reform: The Debates of the 1960s (1991). He spent his final years in Paris, where he was a regular correspondent for Le Monde. In 1992 he was honored with a festschrift, Stalinism: Its Nature and Aftermath: Essays in Honor of Moshe Lewin. The University’s Archives and Records Center holds his collection of papers from 1950 to 1995.
Howard H. Ockelmann. See Class of 1955.
Dr. Terence A. Oliva, Philadelphia, a former adjunct professor of marketing (1985-90); June 6. He then joined the faculty at Temple University’s business school, where he received two teaching awards and the Musser Award for excellence in faculty research.
Dr. William Harker Rhodes. See Class of 1955.
Dr. Robert J. Rutman, Phoenix, emeritus professor of biochemistry in the School of Veterinary Medicine; Sept. 20. He was a research associate in zoology, 1954-56, and then a senior research associate in the chemistry department until 1961. That year he was appointed associate professor in chemistry with a joint appointment in the School of Arts and Sciences, as a member of graduate groups in biochemistry, chemistry, and molecular biology. He was appointed associate professor of biochemistry in the School of Veterinary Medicine in 1968, and full professor in 1969. In 1973, he spent one year as a visiting professor at the University of Ibadan in Nigeria. An advocate for equality, Dr. Rutman was a member of the NAACP and organized “Teach-Ins” in opposition to the Vietnam War at Penn, Temple, and Swarthmore College. During World War II he was a captain in the US Army and worked on the Manhattan Project; an assistant professor at Thomas Jefferson University, he was fired in 1953, after appearing before the House Un-American Activities Committee on allegations he was a communist. One of his daughters is Rose J. Rutman CW’66.
Dr. Walter Selove, Wynnewood, Pa., emeritus professor of physics; Aug. 24. Coming to Penn in 1957, he helped achieve a high-energy physics grant for Penn. He is credited with co-discovering the first evidence of Regge-pole behavior of nucleons; he developed the first two-dimensional particle calorimeter, and observed the first hadron jets from quark-quark scattering. He is also credited with building the first “fast-chopper” neutron spectrometer. With others, he detected the third meson resonance, which he named F-zero in honor of his wife, Dr. Fay Ajzenberg-Selove, emerita professor of physics at the University. A National Research Council fellow and a Guggenheim fellow, he held several patents and had numerous publications before retiring in 1992. Dr. Selove was a former vice-chair of the Federation of American Scientists and a member of the first two Pugwash Meetings. He was also a consultant to the Joint Committee on Atomic Energy of Congress for five years.
Dr. J. Edwin Wood III, Bryn Mawr, Pa., emeritus professor of medicine at the University and chair of medicine and president of the professional staff at Pennsylvania Hospital; Aug. 15. He was a professor at Penn from 1969 to 1990 and 1980-82. Until retiring in 1996, Dr. Wood worked for Correctional Healthcare Solutions in Chalfont. He wrote The Veins (1965).
Jan|Feb 2011 contents
Profiles : Events : Notes : Obituaries
Please send notifications of deaths of alumni directly to: Alumni Records, University of Pennsylvania, 3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Newspaper obits are appreciated.