../1198/space%20holder


Previous issue's obituaries | Mar/Apr Contents | Gazette home


../1198/Obituaries%20overline

The Old Guard | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s | 1950s | 1960s | 1970s

1980s
| 1990s
|
2000s | Faculty and Staff

 

1920s

Morris S. Gross L’22, Silver Spring, Md., a retired attorney; Dec. 1981.

Dr. Ignace B. Stegura WEF’23 W’25 L’28, Springfield, Mass., a retired physician; July 1981.

James R. Knisely W’24, Ithaca, N.Y., Sept. 4, 2000.

Dr. Claudius Y. Gates M’28, Walnut Creek, Calif., a retired physician; April 19, 2001.

Bertram Hollander C’29, Walnut Creek, Calif., a retired New York attorney; Oct. 24.

back to top

1930s

Fred W. Diefenderfer L’30, Allentown, Pa., Jan. 1981.

John N. Gish W’30, Fair Lawn, N.J., Oct. 30. He had worked for the old Dean, Witter and Reynolds, retiring in 1987.

John B. Sabel W’30, Laurel, Md., a retired attorney; April 8. He had crewed at Penn.

Stanley Abrahams W’31, Highstown, N.J., a retired attorney; July 10.

Elmer Balaban W’31, Chicago, retired entertainment and media entrepreneur; Nov. 2. He and his brother took over the family’s cinema chain in 1932. Its flagship was the Esquire Theater on East Oak Street, which opened in 1938. For decades, it refused to change from the tradition of selling candy, but not popcorn: “Now, without popcorn, there wouldn’t be a movie business as we know it,” he was quoted in a 1993 interview. With television, a downturn occurred, and he sold off a string of movie theaters in the Midwest, including the Esquire in 1955. He then began to acquire radio and television stations mostly in the Midwest, and in the mid-1960s moved into cable as well. For all his involvement in the entertainment industry, he was quiet and reserved—and read two books a week, even in his nineties.

William Blum Jr. W’32, Washington, a retired attorney who had been active in efforts to attain home rule for Washington; Sept. 24. He was a past president of the Columbia Hospital for Women and a trustee of the Washington chapter of the American Red Cross. A trustee also of the Textile Museum, he served on the boards of the National Cathedral School for Girls and the Episcopal Home for Women.

T. Stanley Gallagher Jr. W’32, St. Petersburg Beach, Fla., retired deputy regional manager in Philadelphia of the federal Small Business Association; Oct. 30. At Penn he and several of his classmates, finding themselves out of work in the midst of the Depression, formed an orchestra to make money: he was saxophonist and orchestra leader. For several years they entertained second-class passengers on the transatlantic crossings of the French liner Normandie, and also vacationers on the pier in Avalon, N.J. A pioneer of statistics-based market research, he worked for over 20 years as a management consultant. The last 20 years of his career were spent in government service in Washington; he wrote Title VII of the Antipoverty Act, which provided start-up money for minority enterprises, and in 1976 he received the President’s Gold Medal for distinguished public service. He is survived by his son, Thomas J. Gallagher C’73 WG’75.

Ruth J. Marsh WEF’32, Liverpool, N.Y., a retired training supervisor with the old Bell Telephone Co. for 40 years; Sept. 18.

Dr. Leon Schwartz C’32 M’36 PH’42, Oklahoma City, a retired cardiologist who had served on the faculty of the University of California at Irvine; Aug. 28. He pioneered the use of sulfonamides in pneumococcal pneumonia. He had taught at Penn.

Gladys V. East B’33, Philadelphia, a retired Baptist missionary who had worked in Liberia from 1944 to 1976; Sept. 29. Principal of Suehn Industrial Academy near Monrovia, she set up schools and clinics in remote villages.

Austin Gavin L’33, Mililani, Hawaii, retired executive consultant to the president of Lehigh University, 1974-88; Sept. 7. He had earlier served for 38 years with the old Pennsylvania Power & Light Co. in Allentown, retiring in 1974 as executive vice president. He was a past president of the Pennsylvania Electric Association. During the Second World War he served in the Pacific, and was awarded a Silver Star and a Purple Heart.

Harry Pripstein W’33, Philadelphia, retired director of sales and merchandising of Food Fair Stores Inc., a supermarket chain; Oct. 26.

Walter D. Cross W’34, Newtown Square, Pa., a retired insurance broker affiliated with the John Hancock Insurance Co., who set up his Campus Insurance Agency near Penn’s campus in the late 1950s; Oct. 20. Bud was a member of the Penn golf team for four years, captain in his senior year. And he was a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity. In the Second World War he served in the Southwest Pacific, and received the Bronze Star and a Purple Heart. He is survived by his daughter, Judith Cross Bennett, assistant to the chair of animal biology in the School of Veterinary Medicine, and her daughter Holly C. Bennett SW’97, his nephew Edgar G. Cross III W’68, and nephew-in-law Stanard Klinefelter C’69. His brother was Edgar G. Cross II Ar’42.

Dr. Herman W. Farber M’34 GM’38, Petersburg, Va., a retired physician who had maintained a practice there for 50 years; Nov. 4. He had served as chief of staff and chief of pediatrics at Petersburg Hospital. President of Temple Rodof Sholom when it disbanded in 1976, he was instrumental in having the building donated to the city for use as a branch library in the southern part of the city.

Dr. Robert D. Seltzer C’34 GEd’36, Terre Haute, Ind., emeritus professor of political science at Indiana State University who had taught there from 1948 to 1976; Aug. 20.

Herbert J. Bass G’35 L’36, Abington, Pa., a retired attorney who had maintained his own practice in Philadelphia for over 60 years; Oct. 11.

Dr. Donald A. Delpho D’35, Morristown, N.J., a retired dentist; April 5, 1997.

Leon J. Friedman L’35, Scranton, Pa., Aug. 4, 1995.

David Goodman Ed’35 G’37, Gingins, Switzerland, a retired United Nations official; July 9. He served in Korea (1949-51) with the U.N. Commission on Korea, and with the U.N. Force in Cyprus in the 1960s. Though officially retiring in 1976, he volunteered in both Geneva and the General Assembly in New York till recent years.

Bertha M. Kunkel Ed’35 GEd’42, Bryn Mawr, Pa., Oct. 31.

Col. B. Frederick Lehman C’35, Falls Church, Va., a retired accountant with the Veterans’ Administration; Sept. 21.

Robert M. Crooks G’36 L’37, Greenwich, Conn., a retired attorney; Nov. 11, 1999.

Dr. Seymour J. Gray M’36, Brookline, Mass., a retired lecturer at Harvard University’s medical school and MIT who specialized in blood chemistry and gastrointestinal diseases; Oct. 18. In 1946 he established a two-year program of postgraduate education for physicians from developing countries; he continued the program while a visiting professor at MIT, 1963-67. He is known outside the medical world for his book Beyond the Veil (1983), a memoir of the two years he treated the Saudi royal family while serving as chair of medicine at King Faisal Specialist Hospital in Riyadh.

M. Blanche Cochran GEd’37, Lititz, Pa., a retired biology teacher at Scott High School in Coatesvile; Oct. 25.

Audrey Glaser Freedland DH’37, Stratford, Conn., June 16.

E. Frederick Halstead W’37, Delray Beach, Fla., Aug. 1. At Penn he played on the lacrosse and soccer teams.

Jay Livingston C’37, the pop-song composer and lyricist who collaborating with Ray Evans W’36 in their heyday in the 1940s and 1950s wrote songs for several films and many jukebox hits, winning four Oscars; Oct. 17.

Described as “the last of the great songwriters in Hollywood,” they won their first Best-Song Oscar for “Buttons and Bows,” from the 1948 comedy Western The Paleface. It was sung by Bob Hope in the film; Dinah Shore and others later recorded it, making it a big jukebox hit.

“Mona Lisa” was written in 1950 for Captain Carey, USA. The pair thought it might have a life after the film, so they persuaded Nat King Cole to record it. Again, it not only won an Oscar, but also became a huge jukebox success.

“Que Sera, Sera” was sung by Doris Day in Hitchcock’s The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956). Once again the Best Song Oscar went to Evans and Livingston, and the Doris Day recording went on to be a hit.

Jay Livingston also wrote “Silver Bells,” a Christmas standard first sung by Bob Hope and Marilyn Maxwell in The Lemon Drop Kid (1951). Jay’s first wife, Lynne, had strongly encouraged the pair to change the original title (“Tinkle Bells”). Sung by Bob Hope for years in his Christmas specials, it became such a perennial seasonal favorite that Jay frequently referred to it as “our annuity.”

At Penn, studying journalism, he had started a dance band and became friendly with Ray Evans, who played the saxophone and clarinet. After graduation they decided to try their hand at songwriting and moved to New York. To make ends meet, Evans worked in accounting, while Livingston took a job as a piano accompanist and musical arranger for NBC Radio. They managed to work together, sporadically and part-time, playing nightclubs, proms, and cruise ships, and even carried on some of this while briefly serving in the Armed Forces during the Second World War.

In 1944 they were summoned to Hollywood —their benefactor being Johnny Mercer, the great songwriter, who liked their work. They won their first Oscar nomination for “The Cat and the Canary” in their first year of studio work.

Over the years Livingston and Evans contributed songs to more than 80 movies, many with Bob Hope, some for Hitchcock, including Monsieur Beaucaire (1946), My Favorite Brunette (1947), Whispering Smith (1948), Sorrowful Jones (1949), The Streets of Laredo (1949), Fancy Pants (1950), Here Comes the Groom (1951), That’s My Boy (1951), Mr. Roberts (1954), Lucy Gallant (1955), Istanbul (1956), Tammy (1957), Vertigo (1957), The James Dean Story (1957), This Happy Feeling (1958), Dear Heart (1964), Harlow (1965), What Did You Do in the War, Daddy? (1966), Torn Curtain (1966), Wait Until Dark (1967), and Fox Trot (1976). The pair also wrote the theme music for television series, such as Bonanza! (1959-73) and Mr. Ed (1960-65): it is Jay’s voice heard singing, “A horse is a horse, of course, of course.” Of all their compositions, Jay Livingston’s own favorite was “Never Let Me Go.”

Edgar L. Mohler W’37, Daniels, W.Va., retired head of a number of car and truck sales agencies; Oct. 14. He was chair of the Bank of Mount Hope and a feed and hardware store in Beckley. After Penn he had played minor-league baseball in Canada and the Midwest.

Irving I. Solit L’37, Ventnor, N.J., a retired attorney; Oct. 12, 1997.

Hendella Klinghoffer Bronstein Ed’38, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., an early organizer of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation; Oct. 4. At Penn she reputedly started a women’s newspaper, as women were not allowed to join the staff of The Daily Pennsylvanian.

Reynold J. Kosek L’38, Wilkes Barre, Pa., a retired attorney; May 1977.

Dr. Frank A. Mantz M’38 GM’42, Overland Park, Kans., emeritus professor of pathology at Kansas University and chief of surgical pathology at its hospital; Oct. 17.

Dr. Richard D. Schreiber M’38, Lebanon, Pa., a retired physician who had maintained a practice there for 60 years, and who served as mayor from 1960 to 1964; Oct. 3.

Dr. Edwin H. Smith Jr. C’38 D’40, St. Belvoir, Va., a retired dentist; June 19.

Leon H. Bookman WEv’39, Wynnewood, Pa., a retired Philadelphia certified public accountant who specialized in complex tax matters, especially corporate ones; Oct. 19.

Stanley G. Child W’39, Wayne, Pa., retired real estate developer who renovated dilapidated old houses into comfortable apartment buildings; Oct. 10. He was a past president of the Youth Orchestra of Greater Philadelphia.

Rita Tofani Hooper Ed’39 GEd’41, Flourtown, Pa., Oct. 4, 1999.

Rosanna Witlin Kamens CW’39, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., Oct. 12.

George R. Lesauvage Jr. W’39, Port Washington, N.Y., retired executive vice president of Schrafft’s New York, who had retired in 1995 after 45 years with the company; Nov. 5. He served on the board of the Cow Neck Historical Society, and as president of the Manhasset Bay Estates Association. He was a vice president of the Church Club of New York, a regional arm of the Episcopal Church.

back to top

1940s

John W. Grosskettler L’40, York, Pa., Nov. 1970.

Dr. Roy S. Harry V’40, Chambersburg, Pa., a retired veterinarian; Oct. 30.

Henry P. Hill W’40, Vero Beach, Fla., April 5, 2001. He was a retired partner with PricewaterhouseCoopers.

Dr. Bertrand B. Dionne V’41, Brunswick, Maine, retired track veterinarian for the Maine Harness Racing Association; Oct. 11. He also ran a dairy farm for over 30 years.

Dr. Albert H. Freed C’41, Los Angeles, a retired dentist; Sept. 17, 1999.

Leon H. Kline C’41, Philadelphia, an attorney; September.

Dr. Joseph G. Sclar D’41, Portland, Maine, a retired dentist who had maintained a general practice there for many years; Nov. 1.

Doris Helsengren Black Ed’42, Santurce, P.R., Aug. 30, 2000.

Dr. Bernard L. Brown C’42 GD’49, Delray Beach, Fla., a retired orthodontist; May.

H. Robert Fischer L’42, Erie, Pa., an attorney; May 17, 2000.

George A. Johnston Jr. W’42, Bemus Point, N.Y., retired manager and co-owner of his family’s Hotel Lenhart; Oct. 13. At Penn he was a member of Delta Tau Delta fraternity.

Berneice Talley Jones CW’42 Ar’44, Tylersport, Pa., a retired architect; Aug. 28. Serving in the U.S. Navy during the Second World War officially as an “Aerographer’s Mate,” she worked in the Enemy Code Breaking Department of Naval Intelligence. After the war she joined her father’s architectural practice in Telford; it specialized in designing churches and schools in the Philadelphia region. She was most proud of the work completed for the Central Schwenkfelder Church and Lansdale Lutheran Church, and elementary schools in Souderton. She was a member of Chi Omega sorority.

Dr. John C. Lilly M’42, Los Angeles, an inventor and researcher who studied human consciousness and who championed the study of inter-species communication; Sept. 30. An associate of the 1960s counterculture figures Timothy Leary, Werner Erhard, and Ram Dass, he was also popularly known for the Lily isolation tank, in which participants (including himself) were isolated from sense stimuli as a means to explore the nature of human consciousness. He later combined that work with his efforts to communicate with dolphins, as well as experiments with psychedelics. He wrote 19 books, including Man and Dolphin and The Mind of Dolphins, and his work inspired two films, The Day of the Dolphin (1973) and Altered States (1980). During the Second World War he researched high-altitude effects on humans, and later trained as a psychoanalyst. In the 1950s Dr. Lilly worked for the National Institute for Neurological Diseases and Blindness and the National Institute of Mental Health. From 1959 to 1968 he studied how bottlenose dolphins communicate, establishing research centers in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Miami.

Richard G. Miller L’42, Washington, Pa., an attorney; Oct. 9.

Theodore F. Taylor WEv’42, Springfield, Pa., Oct. 9.

Dorothy Brooks Barton DH’43, Chapel Hill, N.C., a retired dental hygienist and instructor; Sept. 26.

Douglas N. Brooks W’43, Timonium, Md., former chief executive officer of Neptune Eastech, which makes meters that measure liquid flow through pipelines; Oct. 19. He continued as a consultant to small manufacturers of flow meters.

John M. Curry Jr. W’43 L’49, Longboat Key, Fla. a retired attorney who had practiced in Houston; March 31, 1995.

Dr. Fred P. Eldridge D’43, Southbury, Conn., a retired dentist; May 16.

Dr. Howard Jay Fuerst C’43 M’49, La Jolla, Calif., a retired physician who had practiced internal medicine in South Florida for 35 years, serving as the first chief of staff of Aventura Hospital in North Miami Beach; Oct. 4. He served on the board of the Prostate Cancer Research and Education Foundation.

Dr. Philip Pandolfo D’43, Katonah, N.Y., a retired dentist; Jan. 28, 2001.

Charles L. Weitzman W’43, New Hartford, N.Y., retired head of Empire Recycling Corp. in Utica; Oct. 21. He was a past president and treasurer of Temple Beth El, and a former chair of the United Jewish Appeal in both Utica and Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. He served on the board of Fleet Bank. And he was secretary of the board of St. Luke’s Hospital.

Dr. Stacy L. Rollins GM’44, Chevy Chase, Md., a retired neurosurgeon; July 3.

Margaret Polnish Robertson Ed’45, Philadelphia, May 2.

Malvine Maguire Smith Ed’44, Dunedin, Fla., Oct. 27.

Dr. Philip J. Spector D’45, New York, a retired dentist; Sept. 12.

Dr. Marvin Alexander V’46, Langhorne, Pa., a retired veterinarian; July 24.

Dr. Harvey L. Lehman M’46 GM’50, Millersville, Pa., a retired family physician who had maintained a practice there from 1951 to 1990; Oct. 11. For all those years he also served as plant physician for Armstrong World Industries Inc. He served on the staff of Lancaster General Hospital.

Dr. Porter H. Gott GD’47, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., a retired oral surgeon who had maintained a practice there for 43 years; Nov. 5. His was the first oral-surgery practice in Ft. Lauderdale when he opened it in 1949. He was a past president of the Florida Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, the East Coast Dental Society, and the Broward County Dental Society.

Dr. Ross N. Stambler C’47 D’52, Redondo Beach, Calif., a retired dentist; March 5.

Taylor B. Coffroth L’48, Escondido, Calif., Jan. 9, 1993.

Iris B. Green Ed’48, Lancaster, Pa., a retired nurse with Abington Memorial Hospital in Montgomery county for 30 years; Nov. 2.

James H. Pearsall Jr. W’48, Little Rock, Ark., a retired businessman; Oct. 1.

Michael N. Piano L’48, Jeannette, Pa., Oct. 1986.

Dr. Edwin D. Radbill C’48 D’51, New York, a retired dentist; Sept. 15.

Dr. Clifton T. Browne SW’49, Dover, Del., July 18.

Clifford C. David L’49, Lower Gwynedd, Pa., a retired lawyer with the old Smith, Kline & French; Oct. 22. As chair of the Laurel Hill and West Laurel Hill cemeteries, he was involved in restoration and preservation projects of the two 19th-century sites.

Lore Loeffler Heath CW’49, Manlius, N.Y.

Howard E. Upson WG’49, North Chatham, Mass., Sept. 2000.

John D. Woltemate W’49, Lansdale, Pa., retired personnel manager for France Compressor Products in Newtown; Oct. 13.

back to top

1950s

Dr. Leon J. Agourides G’50, Trenton, N.J., former chair and emeritus professor of history at Rider University, who taught there from 1954 to 1986; Oct. 13. He wrote the handbook Preparing the Term Paper or Thesis.

Walter E. Capper CE’50 GCE’65, Phoenixville, Pa., a retired civil engineer with Pennoni & Associates; Oct. 18.

Charles L. Hancock C’50, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a retired advertising consultant; Oct. 16. During the Second World War he was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge, receiving a Purple Heart with oak-cluster.

Dr. Theodore Shohl M’50 GM’57, Anchorage, retired surgeon who maintained a practice at Providence Hospital from 1960 to 1985; Nov. 1. After retiring he continued as an assisting surgeon until 1996. He was a past president of the medical staff of Providence.

Hilary Q. Simons W’50, Bryn Athyn, Pa., Jan. 31, 2001.

Douglas G. Weiford WG’50, Tucson, Ariz., retired city manager of Riverside, Calif., Oct. 19. He had earlier served as city manager of Norfolk, Va., Eau Claire, Wisc., and Anchorage, Alaska.

Harry J. Welby WEF’50, Somerset, N.J., a retired controller in the coffee division of A&P Foods Co.; Oct. 17.

Terrance F. Burke W’51, Stamford, Conn., retired vice president for human resources with Nabisco in New York; Oct. 26.

James S. Digel L’51, Bradford, Pa., Sept. 1985.

Dr. William V. Gallery V’51, Harbeson, Del., a veterinarian; Oct. 8.

Robert F. Green WG’51, Worcester, Mass., a retired insurance broker; Sept. 29.

William F. Ludwig C’51, Vero Beach, Fla., Nov. 8.

G. William Metz Jr. WEv’51, Philadelphia, May 26.

Donald E. Miers WEv’51, Annandale, Va., Feb. 27, 2001.

Dr. William E. Betts Jr. C’52, Lancaster, Pa., retired chair of radiology at the Community Hospital of Lancaster, 1960-90, and clinical assistant professor of radiology at Hershey Medical Center; Nov. 1. He served as chair of the Examining Board of Osteopathic Specialists (1978-85) and was a former chair of radiology for the American Osteopathic Board of Nuclear Medicine. He had also served on the editorial board of the Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. Dr. Betts had served on the board of the National Council on Alcoholism.

Richard J. Bustin L’52, Humble, Tex., May 21, 1994.

Dr. Milton A. Rothman Gr’52, Philadelphia, a retired research nuclear physicist who had taught at the College of New Jersey in Trenton, retiring from there in 1979; Oct. 6. He wrote eight non-fiction works, including Physics for the Educated Layman, Discovering the Natural Laws, and A Physicist’s Guide to Skepticism. He published two science-fiction short stories and founded the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society in 1935, which stages Philcon, the world’s first and oldest sci-fi convention. Dr. Rothman also was a member of the Committee for Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal.

John Rutkowski Ar’52, Media, Pa., a retired managing principal and senior partner with the Philadelphia architectural firm of Kling Lindquist Partnership who designed the city’s Municipal Services Building, the Philadelphia Stock Exchange, and the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia; Nov. 2. He also designed the dental and medical school complex at the University of Connecticut, Ramstein U.S. Air Force Base in Germany, and a U.S. Naval Command Center in Saudi Arabia.

Dr. Albert Bell D’53, Glenside, Pa., a retired dentist; Oct. 11.

Allan S. Clarke W’53, Woodbridge, Calif., a retired landscape contractor; Sept. 22.

Charles A. Frahner WEv’53, Emmaus, Pa., a retired accountant; Oct. 2.

Lawrence A. Matternes GM’53, Malvern, Pa., a retired surgeon; Sept. 1999.

David M. Zala WG’53, Stamford, Conn., Jan. 30, 2001.

George V. Adelman L’54, Carlton, Pa., Aug. 15, 1988.

Edward J. Bailey W’54, New York, a retired deputy director for the Environmental Defense Fund; June 13.

Dr. Gilbert P. De Dan D’54, Linwood, N.J., a dentist; Aug. 24.

George F. Johnson CCC’54, Upper Darby, Pa., March 24.

John F. Pink GEE’54, Midway, Ga., Aug. 18.

Dr. Dorothy Shipley White Gr’54, Logan, Utah, a former Philadelphia writer on French culture, including two books on Charles de Gaulle; Oct. 15 at the age of 105. She had served on the boards of the old Philadelphia College of Art and the old Women’s Medical College.

Hon. Dominic T. Marrone L’55, West Chester, Pa., retired president judge of the Chester County Court of Common Pleas; Sept. 28. He resigned the bench and returned to practicing as an attorney. Elected chair of the county’s Board of Commissioners, he pushed through expansions to the courthouse.

John J. McCarty L’55, St. Davids, Pa., a retired Philadelphia lawyer who specialized in personal-injury litigation involving railroads; Oct. 22.

Daniel W. Tomlinson Jr. W’55, Doylestown, Pa., a retired vice president with the old Meridian Bank; Sept. 21. He was a former vice president of the Bucks County Economic Development Corp., and chair of Bucks County Transport. A past president of the Bucks County Association for the Blind and a former chair of the United Way of Bucks County. At Penn he was a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity.

Lionel Wernick L’55, Brooklyn, N.Y., an attorney; Dec. 20, 2000.

Hon. A. T. Williams Jr. L’55, Easton, Pa., retired president judge of the Northampton County Court; Oct. 8. He had served on the board of trustees of Moravian College.

John E. Baney W’56, Quechee, Vt., retired senior vice president of the property and casualty group and president of the international and broker division of Cigna Corp. in Philadelphia; Sept. 25. He had served on the board of the Moore College of Art and Design.

Dr. Mary M. Clift GM’56, Cincinnati, a retired physician; Dec. 8, 1998.

Martin Horowitz W’57, Wynnewood, Pa., an attorney who had served as counsel for the Philadelphia Board of Education from 1965 to 1987; Sept. 22. He was involved in implementing the district’s desegregation policies. As an attorney in private practice, he served as president of the Haverford township school board.

William F. Sheridan WEv’57, Ridley Park, Pa., June 30.

Robert E. Smith WEv’57, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., a retired accountant who had served as chair of supervisors of Whitemarsh; Oct. 12.

Leonard J. Agrons FA’59, Atlantic City, N.J., Sept. 29.

Richard N. Daniel WG’59, Briarcliff Manor, N.Y., retired chair of Handy & Harman, refiners of precious metals; Oct. 25. Retiring in 1998, he worked in merchant banking and served on the board of Keyspan Corporation Gabelli Funds. He was a past president of the Sky Club of New York.

Fern R. Kumler Nu’59, Fort Lee, N.J., a registered psychiatric nurse who had maintained a private practice there for 30 years; Oct. 14. A certified psychoanalyst, she was a founding member of the Society of Certified Clinical Specialists in Psychiatric Nursing of New Jersey. She had taught at Columbia and Rutgers universities.

Barry A. Lipson W’59, Penn Valley, Pa., Oct. 16.

Robert F. Maine W’59, Glenview, Ill., a retired private placement specialist for finance companies; Oct. 27. He was an original member of the Chicago Board of Options Exchange.

Dr. William A. Stark GM’59, Michigan City, Ind., a retired physician; June 3.

back to top

1960s

June Louise Chrysler Ed’60, Seaside, Calif., Sept. 21. At Penn she was a sister of Alpha Xi Delta sorority.

James J. Jones C’60 GrEd’01, West Chester, Pa., Oct. 23.

A. Grant Sprecher L’61, Ardmore, Pa., a retired Philadelphia trial attorney; Sept. 23. He had served as president of the board of Methodist Hospital.

Dr. Murray D. Ziontz D’61, Boca Raton, Fla., a retired endodontist who had practiced in Stamford, Conn., for 17 years and Houston for 20 years; Aug. 4.

Edith Satterlee Hart CGS’62, Phoenix, Oct. 22, 2000.

Dr. Archibald Kelly Maness Jr. M’62 GM’69, Greensboro, N.C., a retired obstetrician-gynecologist who had practiced there for 30 years; Oct. 2. He co-founded the Greensboro Opera Company, and served on the boards of the Greensboro Historical Museum and the Greensboro Natural Science Center.

Dr. Karen Mohr Chavez CW’63 Gr’77, Mt. Pleasant, Mich., professor of anthropology at Central Michigan University; Aug. 25. A specialist in ancient Andean civilizations, she and her husband would travel to excavation sites there every summer, but would also organize relief work and education programs. She took an oxygen tank on her last trip to help her breathing and insisted on carrying
it herself.

Bernard Y. Huet GAr’63, Paris, founder of the Šcole d’Architecture de Paris-Belleville, where he served as professor of urban architecture; Sept. 9. He had received the LÈgion d’honneur.

Martha C. Marks Nu’63, New Stanton, Pa., Sept. 19.

Alfred J. Battaglia WG’66, Franklin Lakes, N.J., senior vice president for global supply of Reckitt & Colman; Oct. 22. He was a director of the Healthcare Industry Distributors Association. He served on the boards of Ramapo College Foundation and Wayne General Hospital.

Edwin H. Place C’66, Marshfield, Mass., Aug. 21, 1989.

John P. Roberts C’66, New York, one of the promoters of the famous Woodstock Music and Art Fair in 1969; Oct. 27. He and his partners funded the festival with money from an inheritance of his and the ticket sales: they lost $1.3 million, but eventually recovered their losses with royalties from film and album spin-offs, retaining the profitable name and the trademark of a dove on the neck of a guitar. He later invested in other businesses, avoiding the music industry. Reputedly, his taste in music more favored Gershwin.

Aileen Golden Hoffman CGS’68, Blacksburg, Va., Oct. 27.

Symera H. White G’68, Silver Spring, Md., a retired supervisor with the New Jersey Youth and Family Services for over 25 years; Sept. 20.

Helen B. Dopsovic Nu’69, Catasauqua, Pa., a retired nurse with the old Philadelphia General Hospital and later the American Red Cross; Sept. 30.

back to top

1970s

William R. Dimeling L’70, Philadelphia, a partner of the private-investment firm of Dimeling, Schreiber and Park, who was a trustee of the Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust; Oct. 18.

Dr. Bodo Nischan Gr’71, Greenville, N.C., professor and a former chair of history at East Carolina University; Oct. 21. He was an internationally recognized scholar of Lutheranism and the Reformation.

Dr. John L. Susman C’71 D’74, East Haven, Conn., a dentist; June 7.

Joseph A. Ellman C’74, Trenton, N.J., Aug. 10, 2000.

Dr. Sterrett Mayson M’74, Flourtown, Pa., a psychoanalyst on the faculty of the Institute of the Philadelphia Association for Psychoanalysis; Sept. 28.

Frances Brewster Rauch GEd’74, Bryn Mawr, Pa., Nov. 1.

Dr. Robert T. Turner M’74, Park Ridge, Ill., an obstetrician-gynecologist with Lutheran General Hospital for 23 years; Sept. 30. He also served on the medical staff of Lake Forest Hospital.

back to top

1980s

Dr. Patricia A. Grimes Gr’82, Philadelphia, emeritus associate professor of ophthalmology at the University; Sept. 16. She joined the faculty in 1982, and took a secondary appointment in the Department of Cell and Developmental Biology in 1988; she retired in 1999. Her expertise was the histology and anatomy of the eye: besides experimental work on diabetic retinopathy, she made important contributions in basic lens research and ocular innervation. Dr. Grimes received an excellence-in-teaching award from the Medical School and served for many years as its faculty Affirmative Action officer.

David S. Lee W’86, West Orange, N.J., a senior vice president at Fiduciary Trust Company; Sept. 11, Two World Trade Center.

Dr. Garrett James Derbyshire Gr’89 M’89 GM’93, Watertown, N.Y., an anesthesiologist at The Samaritan Medical Center; April 2001.

back to top

1990s

Louis S. Lee W’92, Fountain Valley, Calif., Jan. 9, 2001.

Mary P. Mallard GNu’99, Willingboro, N.J., March 16, 2001.

back to top

2000s

Hassan A. Naama Gr’01, New York, Aug. 17.

back to top

Faculty & Staff

Dr. Patricia A. Grimes. See Class of 1982.

Dr. Leon Schwartz. See Class of 1932.


Previous issue's obituaries | Jan/Feb Contents | Gazette home

Copyright 2002 The Pennsylvania Gazette Last modified 1/2/02

../1198/space%20holder

NOTIFICATIONS

Please send notifications of deaths of alumni directly to:
Alumni Records

University of Pennsylvania
3451 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

<record@ben.dev.upenn.edu>

Newspaper obits are appreciated.