1924 | Beatrice Griffith Sweeney Ed’24, Dunwoody, Ga., a retired teacher; April 17, 2004. At Penn she was a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority. She began her career in 1924, teaching Latin and English at Avondale High School in Pennsylvania. She taught Latin at Gainesville High School in Florida from 1947 until her retirement in 1969, and continued teaching at Oak Hall School through her mid-70s.
1927 | Sylvester C. Battaglia W’27, Winter Park, Fla., a citrus fruit grower and distributor; Nov. 8. He began his career by working for Southern Fruit Distributor Inc., his uncle’s business in central Florida. In 1948 he leased and later acquired the former R.D. Keene packinghouse in Winter Garden, operating it from 1950 until 1977. The company, which packed and shipped oranges under a number of brands, including Billy-Bob (named for his two sons), routinely ranked among the state’s top 10 fruit shippers. He established thousands of acres of orange groves in a number of counties. He closed the packinghouse after a statewide freeze in 1977. Two acres of that property were recently donated by the family to become the S.C. Battaglia Memorial Winter Garden Branch Library.
Eugene J. Charters W’27 L’30, Philadelphia, an attorney and the president of E.J. Charters Association, Inc.; Nov. 16.
Florence Koch Chester Ed’27 G’29, Gwynedd, Pa., June 25.
Grace Carry Harris Ed’31 G’34, Petersburg, Va., July 8, 2002.
Aleen M. Kinsley Ed’31, Grosse Point Farms, Mich., June 21, 2003.
Abraham M. Lerner W’31, Sanibel, Fla., a retired attorney; May 24, 2001.
John B. Lewis W’31, Needham, Mass., Aug. 24, 2000.
James H. Moulder W’31, Alexandria, Va., May 10, 2002.
Mary Fegley Ritchie Ed’31, Glenside, Pa., a retired teacher; Oct. 26. At Penn she was a member of Alpha Xi Delta sorority. She began her career as a teacher for the Shamokin school district, then worked as a substitute teacher in Abington school district. She was part of the earliest Campfire Girls program as a child, and remained active in the Girl Scouts of America throughout her life. She also held leadership roles in the Daughters of the American Revolution, Order of the Eastern Star, and local historical societies. She founded and was leader of the Glenside Junior Rifle Club for 20 years. In 1972 she was the first woman to receive the Glenside Inter-service Club award. And she was former president of Old York Road Historical Society.
1932 | Charles D. Fridy Ar’32 GAr’33, Haverford, Pa., a retired architect and civil engineer; Nov. 14. He worked on several federal design and construction projects during World War II, then joined his brother to form Fridy, Gauker & Fridy, an architectural and engineering firm in Philadelphia. When the engineering division of the firm was acquired by Betz, Converse Murdoch Inc., he joined Betz, retiring in 1980. For many years he designed lighting for the Main Line Playhouse productions.
H. W. Fineshriber L’33, Chevy Chase, Md., a retired attorney for the U.S. Department of Labor; June 5.
Willa Krupp Schmidt G’33, Framingham, Mass., May 11, 2002.
Dr. Doris Willig B’33, Philadelphia, a physician for 50 years; Sept. 26. She started an obstetrics and gynecology practice in Wynnefield in 1938, where an impoverished patient once gave her a car radiator for her medical services. From 1952 to 1971 she operated a private psychiatry practice in Philadelphia and was director of the child-psychiatric clinic at the old Philadelphia General Hospital. And she taught at Jefferson Medical College. In 1972 she moved to Miami to work as a psychiatrist at a Veterans Affairs hospital. She returned to Philadelphia to practice psychiatry in 1983, retiring in 1988. She served on the board of Art Reach.
1934 | Irwin Benjamin W’34, San Francisco, a retired attorney who had practiced in Philadelphia and Harrisburg; Nov. 18. He was a former president of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, the Dauphin County Bar Association, and the Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association.
Dr. William L. Levy D’34, Providence, R.I., a dentist for almost 50 years, until his retirement in 1989; Sept. 4. He also taught at the University’s dental school after graduating. One of his many well-worn sailing caps carried the Penn insignia, according to his family. Dr. Levy remained active in many community and religious organizations throughout his life. In his 80s, while living on Cape Cod, he began cooking lunch at the local soup kitchen, and he continued to do volunteer work for the seniors assistance network there in his 80s and early 90s. “He would talk of how surprised ‘the old people’ would be to see him drive up to do their repairs,” said his son-in-law, David H. Lissy C’65 L’68. Dr. Levy’s children include Judd S. Levy W’64 and Marjorie Levy Lissy CW’69. One of his granddaughters is Jennifer Levy Camp C’92.
Harry H. Bock W’36, Naples, Fla., Sept. 19.
Eleanor Dreibelbis NTS’36, Fort Washington, Pa., April 14, 2003.
Lester C. Haas GAr’36, Shreveport, La., July 24, 2003.
Rev. William J. Hand GEd’36, Philadelphia, emeritus professor of pastoral counseling and librarian at Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary; Nov. 16. Earlier he had been pastor of Manayunk Baptist Church. In 1946 he joined the seminary faculty as a librarian and became a professor of pastoral counseling in the 1960s. Following his retirement in 1977, he continued to coordinate students’ pastoral field education and served as interim librarian for a time. He remained active with the Baptist World Alliance throughout his life.
Dr. Edward B. Shils W’36 G’37 Gr’40 L’86 GL’90 GrL’97, Narberth, Pa., the G. W. Taylor Professor Emeritus of Entrepreneurial Studies at the Wharton School and founder of the Wharton Entrepreneurial Research Center; Nov. 14. He chaired the management department at Wharton for many years and still served as an adviser to management students. Although he officially retired in 1985, he was teaching a course, Management 248, Executive Leadership, at the time of his death. He founded the Wharton Entrepreneurial Research Center (now the Sol C. Snider Center) in 1973 and served as its director until 1986. He also helped create the Penn-Israeli Exchange Program and the Wharton Small Business Development Center. And he was heavily involved in the University’s fundraising efforts. “He was really a remarkable man who had devoted much of his life to the University,” said Dr. Daniel Levinthal, chair of Wharton’s management department. “He was incredibly committed to the school and the students.” Lindsay C. Hunt W’05 said, “It was really obvious that he truly cared about the students. I think that was why he was still teaching … The thing that truly set him apart was how much he cared about helping students in school, careers, or just advice.” Known to his colleagues as a “bundle of energy” who worked “vigorously long hours,” management professor Dr. Robert House called Dr. Shils “a friend to many members of the faculty.” He was also a practicing attorney. His wife is Shirley Ruth Shils CGS’84 CGS’90 G’93 and his daughter is Nancy E. Shils C’77 G’86 GEd’01 GrEd’05.
1937 | Irwin W. Curlis Jr. W’37, Hartwick, N.Y., a comptroller for Anaconda Copper and Brass, until his retirement in 1972; Aug. 15. He and his wife then operated the Breezy Knoll Bed and Breakfast in Fly Creek, where he was voted the town clerk. He also volunteered with the local fire and police departments, and at the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Robert P. Elmer Jr. W’37, Martinsburg, W.V., Aug. 19.
Dr. Harold O. Jirsa GM’37, Oakdale, Minn., a retired physician; Nov. 18, 2002.
Robert William Lade W’37, Milwaukee, June 13.
Robert W. Schwartz C’37, Manchester, N.J., Nov. 9.
George J. Garrison C’38 L’41, Philadelphia, a retired attorney; February 2004.
William B. Needle W’38, Wakefield, R.I., a retired investment banker; October. Also an artist, he was a member and exhibitor of the South County Art Association. During World War II he served as a glider pilot in the U.S. Army Air Corps, for which he received the Purple Heart.
Dr. Robert Hachenburg C’39 L’43, Philadelphia, a real estate lawyer and professor emeritus at Temple University Law School; Nov. 7. In 1949 he joined the Albert M. Greenfield & Co. real estate firm and went on to become its vice president and general counsel. In 1969 he joined the law school faculty at Temple, where he specialized in teaching courses on real estate law and chaired the academic standing committee. He retired in 1983.
Robert W. Lobb WEv’39, Narberth, Pa., the director of finance at Philadelphia Gas Works, until his retirement in 1980; Nov. 10. He served on the board of Riddle Memorial Hospital. In February 1943, while serving with the U.S. Army in Africa, he was captured by German soldiers and sent to a prisoner of war camp in Poland. The prisoners later marched to a winter camp in Germany, where they remained until the end of the war. During his captivity, guards took prisoners’ watches and rings, including his Hamilton watch, according to his daughter. After he confronted a prison officer, the items were returned. The watch was later repaired by the company free-of-charge when they learned of the incident.
Harold B. Montgomery Jr. W’39, Ambler, Pa., an advertising executive; Oct. 8. At Penn he was a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity. Remaining an active alumnus, he was president of the Class of 1939 for many years and received the Alumni Award of Merit in 1995. He spent two years as an accountant before beginning his career in advertising. He was influential in marketing numerous businesses and products, including the Klondike Bar, Acme Markets, Girard Bank, Tastykake, the Delaware River Port Authority, Seabrook Farms, and Skytop Lodge. He helped win national success for Mrs. Paul’s Frozen Foods, owned by his friend, Edward J. Piszek WEv’42, who also died in 2004. An accomplished copywriter and jingle writer, he created innovative ways to promote products and businesses. He attracted writer James Michener and painter Jamie Wyeth to co-create Girard Bank’s annual report. Shortly after, he convinced the bank to sponsor a new classical music orchestral work by Samuel Barber, which was premiered at the Academy of Music and remains part of the Philadelphia Orchestra’s repertoire. He helped pioneer the informal product “chat” on The Tonight Show, where Ed McMahon and Johnny Carson would casually talk about a product, an early form of “product placement.” He served on numerous boards, including the Philadelphia Bicentennial Committee, the Copernicus Foundation, the American Association of Advertising Agencies, the Philadelphia Junior Chamber of Commerce, and, most recently, the Visiting Nurses Association. He was also the founder of the Young Men’s Literary Guild and Athletic Association, and the Ambler Home Guard. He helped establish a ski club that traveled the U.S. and Europe annually for more than 30 years. And he was an active member of the Philadelphia Union League, creating the monthly magazine, The Banner. At age 80 he secretly learned to tap dance in order to perform at a birthday party, and took a private plane safari in Africa at 84. He was writing an overview of U.S. Presidents of the 20th Century (getting as far as Harry Truman), as well as an autobiography, at the time of his death. During World War II he served as a captain in the U.S. Army in Alaska. One of his sons is Jeffrey Davis Montgomery G’87 WG’87.
John E. Cliff WEv’40, Media, Pa., Dec. 7, 2002.
Dr. Arthur Feinstein D’40, Bridgeton, N.J., a dentist for more than 50 years, until his retirement in 1992; Oct. 23. He was a class agent for the University’s annual fund for many years. A member of numerous professional organizations, he was a founding member of the Cumberland County Dental Study Club and was one of the founders of the Bridgeton Red Feather, which became the United Way. He served on the Bridgeton Board of Education from 1961 to 1970, including four years as president. Long active in Boy Scouting, he and his family were honored by the governor as New Jersey’s Boy Scout Family in 1963. He received the Scouter’s Key Award and the Silver Beaver Award from the Scouts. A member of Bridgeton Rotary Club from 1962 to 2003, he served as its president in 1978 and remained an honorary member until his death. In 1981 he received the Liberty Bell Award from the Cumberland County Bar Association and, in 1988, the George J. Woodruff Memorial Award for community service from the Bridgeton area Jaycees. During World War II he served in a mobile surgical unit in Europe for the U.S. Army, for which he attained the rank of Major and was awarded the Bronze Star.
Dr. Martin M. Kaplan V’40 CCC’41 PH’42, Geneva, Switzerland, a retired veterinarian; Oct. 16.
G. Caroline Shero WG’40, Milwaukee, Jan. 29, 2004.
Anna K. Slegel CW’40, Bensalem, Pa., Sept. 13.
George R. Herr W’41, Ambler, Pa., Nov. 23, 2003.
Walter W. Jackson W’41, Emlenton, Pa., Sept. 13.
Everett J. Melnick W’41 WG’43, Bethlehem, Pa., Oct. 25. His son is Dr. Hugh D. Melnick C’68.
Ethel Powell Roden Ed’41, Gloucester City, N.J., July 17.
Dr. Powell S. Thomas G’41 Gr’61, Venus, Fla., a former professor and assistant dean of English at West Chester University for 29 years, until his retirement in 1975; Sept. 14. He joined the faculty of West Chester in 1946, after working as a reporter for the Philadelphia Public Ledger and teaching high school English. An expert on Chaucer, he named one of his sons, Geoffrey S. Thomas C’81, after the poet. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army Ordnance Corps on truck convoys supplying war materials to Russia. He was a member of the Pennsylvania Society of the Sons of the Revolution. An ancestor of his, Benjamin Eastburn, fought in the Revolutionary War.
1942 | Donald M. Bowman W’42 L’49, Philadelphia, an attorney in the firm of Gold & Bowman for more than 50 years, until his retirement in 1999; Oct. 20. Having enlisted in the U.S. Navy the day after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, he served as the skipper of a landing-craft tank and made 11 amphibious beach runs at Normandy on D-Day. After completing his service as a lieutenant commander, he remained in the Naval Reserve until the mid-1960s. He taught law at Willow Grove Naval Academy. And he acted in several productions at the Cheltenham Playhouse.
John W. Cross ChE’42, Brevard, N.C., April 26, 2004.
Fannie Armitt Handrick CW’42 G’44, Shrewsbury, Mass., Aug. 23.
Wilbur H. Johnson GEd’42, Newtown, Pa., Dec. 3, 2003.
Dr. John B. Sampson Gr’42, Winchester, Mass., Dec. 29, 2002.
Dr. Francis R. Steele Gr’42, Lancaster, Pa., Sept. 7.
Joseph J. DeGeorge W’43, Erie, Pa., March 12, 2004.
Nina Binder Hedman G’43, Colorado Springs, Colo., Dec. 24, 2003.
Franklyn H. Kushner W’43, Boynton Beach, Fla., a retired executive in the retail business and former public defender; Oct. 24. At Penn he was a member of Phi Sigma Delta fraternity. After serving in the finance department of the U.S. Army Air Corps, he entered the retail business. Following his retirement at age 62, he obtained a law degree and became a public defender for Delaware County in Pennsylvania for seven years. After moving to Florida, he continued to volunteer in the Palm Beach County Courthouse and the Sheriff’s Office.
Dr. John H. Moyer III M’43 GM’47, Palmyra, Pa., the retired director of Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital; Oct. 5. Earlier, he chaired the department of medicine at Hahnemann Medical College. Dr. Moyer pioneered several groundbreaking clinical trials during the 1950s, included the development of Diuril, one of the first effective medicines for high blood pressure, and the first completely portable dialysis machine. He served as a scientific diplomat for the State Department in the 1960s. By the time of his retirement in 1988, he had over 300 publications and had headed more than 40 professional organizations.
Kenneth Neuhausen W’43, Pittsburgh, Pa., Nov. 6.
Rosemary Haley Ward NTS’43 Ed’47, Elizabethtown, Pa., April 8, 2004.
James Gordon Yocum L’43, Media, Pa., the retired general counsel and vice president of the Philadelphia Stock Exchange; Sept. 30. He had been a partner with Phillips, Curtin, DiGiacomo & Yocum before joining the stock exchange in 1970. He retired in 1985. He was clerk of session at First Presbyterian Church of Philadelphia for 15 years and was later an elder and chair of the youth ministry council at Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church. And he was a trustee of the Presbytery of Philadelphia. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy in Hawaii.
Jerome Siegel WG’44, Woodstock, N.Y., Oct. 20.
1945 | George Breslow W’45, Erdenheim, Pa., the retired president of Stanley Blacker Inc., a former men’s clothing manufacturer in Philadelphia; Nov. 7. He joined the company as a financial officer in 1964 and rose to become president. The firm produced men’s suits and later added a line of high-end women’s apparel as the company grew from a few hundred employees to more than 1,000 workers, with plants in Philadelphia and Georgia. After his retirement in the 1980s, he continued to work as a consultant to the clothing industry. Earlier, he had been a certified public accountant for Middishade, a men’s clothier in Philadelphia. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in Europe and fought in the Battle of the Bulge.
Sheldon Tabb W’45 WG’48, Philadelphia, an attorney specializing in family and labor law for more than 50 years; Nov. 27. Earlier he had worked for the federal government in New York and Washington. “He was proud of being a small man’s lawyer,” said his wife, Dr. Barbara Freed Tabb CW’63 Gr’78.
Nancy Upton Gogol CW’46, Silver Spring, Md., Nov. 20.
Joyce Conover Hanks CW’46, Chapel Hill, N.C., Sept. 14.
Dr. Felix P. Heald Jr. M’46, Annapolis, Md., a retired physician; Aug. 10.
Thomas D. McCloskey W’46, Palm Beach, Fla., a retired builder and developer who supervised the construction of Philadelphia projects including Veterans Stadium, the Spectrum, and the University’s International House; Oct. 31. In 1962 he became president of McCloskey & Co. Builders when his father, who had started the company in 1910, was appointed ambassador to Ireland. He supervised the building of, among other projects, the U.S. Mint, Centre Square, and the Mann Music Center, all in Philadelphia, and the Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa in Doylestown. After phasing out the construction company in the 1970s, he remained active in development projects around the country, according to his son, Michael. An avid sports fan, he was chair of the Liberty Bowl, which was played in Philadelphia from 1959 to 1963. In 1969 he lost out on a bid to buy the Eagles football team. He later purchased the Philadelphia Atoms, a professional soccer team that won the North American Soccer League in 1973. In 1974 he endowed a chair in Notre Dame’s College of Engineering in memory of his father, who had died the previous year. During World War II he served with the U.S. Marine Corps in the Pacific. One of his sons is Thomas D. McCloskey WG’72, whose wife is Bonnie Palmer McCloskey WG’72.
William F. W. Reeve W’46, North Wales, Pa., July 18, 2003.
1947 | E. Raymond Crim Jr. WG’47, Longboat Key, Fla., a partner in the national office of Ernst and Young, an accounting firm; Nov. 19. At the time he made partner, he was the youngest to do so in the company’s history. Earlier he was a regional technical partner in the firm’s Atlanta office. In Atlanta he was a legacy member and past treasurer of the Cherokee Town and Country Club and a life member of the Atlanta Athletic Club. He ran in the Peachtree Road Race nine times. During World War II he was a second lieutenant in the U.S. Navy.
Herbert H. Holderman L’47, Frackville, Pa., Dec. 9, 2001.
Joseph A. Stockler C’47, Strafford, Pa., the assistant director of cooperative education at Drexel University for 25 years, until his retirement in 1985; Oct. 7. Earlier he had worked for the state of Pennsylvania in the public assistance, employment, and rehabilitation departments. During World War II he served in the 15th U.S. Army Air Corp in Italy, where he was a bombardier-navigator of B-24 Liberator heavy bombers; this division was featured in The Wild Blue, by Stephen Ambrose. His daughter is Anne Stockler Nisenholtz C’79 and her husband is Martin A. Nisenholtz C’77 ASC’79. His sister is Mary Stockler Kubacki CW’39.
Melvin Trachtman W’47, Alexandria, Va., Sept. 24. He was retired from the U.S. Department of Defense.
1948 | Dr. Domingo M. Aviado M’48, Palm Beach Shores, Fla., a professor of pharmacology at the University for 29 years, until his retirement in 1977; Dec. 2. He received the Lindbach Teaching Award and the Oliver Memorial Award, as well as a Guggenheim Fellowship. Dr. Aviado wrote eight medical books and published over 300 articles on toxicology and pharmacology in professional journals. He served as treasurer of the International Union of Pharmacologists.
Dr. Donald R. Childress WG’48 Gr’51, Norman, Okla., Oct. 3, 2002.
John L. Clark C’48, Montgomery Village, Md., Sept. 24.
Dr. James C. Diggory Gr’48, Oakmont, Pa., a retired professor and chair of psychology at Chatham College; Oct. 23. After teaching at Penn, he joined the faculty at Chatham in 1966 and retired in 1983. His research applied the empirical methods of experimental psychology to philosophical theories of self. His major published work was Self-Evaluation: Concepts and Studies (1966).
John E. Ensign CE’48, Fenton, Mo., Nov. 18.
William R. Hummer GEd’48, Norristown, Pa., June 9.
Robert C. Lowry Jr. C’48, Media, Pa., July 29.
Aurora A. Malfitano Ed’48, Drexel Hill, Pa., March 2, 2003.
Dr. Mark D. Bealor Ch’49, New Bern, N.C., Aug. 13.
June Bramble Blackman GEd’49, Springfield, Pa., Nov. 27.
Francis M. Casson WEv’49, Wilmington, Del., a certified public accountant; Nov. 23. He began his career as a finance officer for the Veterans Administration, then became an office manager and broker for Laird, Bissell and Meeds. Later he opened his own accounting firm and was still conducting business at the time of his death. A member of numerous professional, civic, and community organizations, he served on the advisory board of the Salvation Army for many years. He served with the 1st U.S. Army Headquarters Division, 1941-45.
Dr. George M. Knoll GM’49, Slatington, Pa., a retired physician; April 24, 2004.
Dr. Diana E. LeStourgeon CW’49 Gr’60, Media, Pa., a retired professor of English literature at Widener University, where she had taught for 35 years; Oct. 30. At Penn she was a member of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. She taught at Alabama Polytechnic Institute, the University of Missouri, and Penn State University before joining the Widener faculty in 1965, from where she retired in 2002. She published a biography of the writer Rosamond Lehmann.
Herman B. McManaway WG’49, Charlotte, N.C., April 29, 2004.
LeRoy T. Pease Jr. W’49, Wilmington, Del., Oct. 9.
Dr. Jean A. Sayegh D’49, Wallingford, Pa., retired professor of oral medicine at Penn’s School of Dentistry for 17 years; Oct. 1. In 1950 he was appointed a fellow at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. After serving as a dentist in the U.S. Army, 1954-56, he had maintained a private practice in Broomall until his retirement in 1983. He was a past president of the Broomall Rotary Club and the Philadelphia Clinic Club, and lectured on dentistry in the U.S., Mexico, and China.
John G. Welles WG’49, Denver, Dec. 18, 2002.
Marianna E. Cura Ed’50, Oaklyn, N.J., June 13.
Dr. William Fraimow C’50 M’54, Merion, Pa., a physician who practiced internal and pulmonary medicine for more than 40 years, and the longest-standing actively practicing physician at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital when he retired in 2004; Oct. 26. He was also an associate professor of medicine at Jefferson. During World War II he was stationed in Italy with the U.S. Army. As a master sergeant, he participated in the postwar reconstruction effort from 1945 to 1947. His wife, whom he met a football game at Franklin Field, is Gloria LaFair Fraimow Ed’54, and his son is Dr. Henry S. Fraimow M’82.
Dr. Peter T. Kuo GM’50 GM’51, Houston, a retired physician; August 10.
Theodore P. Langdon C’50, West Orange, N.J., February 12, 2004.
Howard Marvelle WG’50, Denver, Jan. 8, 2003.
Dr. Richard L. Meadows M’50, Clearwater, Fla., a retired physician; Oct. 30.
Dr. Aureliano Rivas Flores Jr. GM’50, Newtown Square, Pa., a retired physician; June 22.
Col. Roland D. Foley WG’51, Peachtree City, Ga., June 9.
Dr. Donald S. Gillespie D’51, Belvedere, Calif., a retired dentist; Sept. 24.
Robert Y. Kamin W’51, Lansdale, Pa., the president of the Raytor division of Aydin Corporation, a sheet metal manufacturer, until his retirement in 1998; Oct. 21. Earlier he had worked for his family’s company, Neon Products International, in Ohio. In 1970 he became president of Kardon Industries in Philadelphia, a manufacturer of corrugated boxes. He founded Ajax/Acorn Co., a provider of metal fabrication and electroplating for the lighting industry, in 1986. He published three books on industrial management principles, and remained a consultant until his death. He was a supporter of various Jewish charities.
David Krumbhaar Ar’51, Vero Beach, Fla., Sept. 29. His brother is Peter D. Krumbhaar C’49.
Robert E. Martin Ar’52, Rosemont, Pa., May 19, 2003.
John Parnell GEE’52, Medford, N.J., Aug. 15.
Charles Pujals Jr. PT’52, Bridgeton, N.J., Jan. 7, 2003.
Dr. Richard G. Starr M’52 GM’56, Beckley, W.V., a physician specializing in internal medicine from 1958 until his retirement in 2002; Aug. 25. He practiced at Raleigh General Hospital, 1953-55. In 1957-58 he was a Fellow in Cardiology under the Robinette Foundation. He served as chief of medicine of Raleigh General Hospital for several years and also chaired the utilization and review committee there. During the 1960s he served the Raleigh County Medical Society as secretary, vice president, and president; he remained an honorary member until his death. He was a distinguished member of the West Virginia Medical Institute board of trustees for 26 years, first as treasurer and then as secretary, from 1968 until his retirement. He was named emeritus trustee in July 2004. Dr. Starr was a 1965 diplomate of the America Board of Medicine. He had served as a medical expert for the Bureau of Hearings and Appeals of the Social Security Administration since 1970. He was appointed clinical professor of medicine volunteer faculty with Marshall University in 1977 and 1984. And he was an examiner for the consolidated public retirement board of West Virginia.
1953 | John E. McConnell W’53, Berwyn, Pa., the retired vice president of H. B. Frazer & Co., a firm specializing in commercial, institutional, and industrial electrical work. Nov. 5. He joined the firm in 1967, retiring in 1995. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy on ships in Europe, Asia, and on the west coast. He remained in the Naval Reserve until 1968.
Philip Shuchman L’53 G’59, Hollywood, Fla., the Justice Joseph Weintraub Professor Emeritus of Law at Rutgers University in Newark; Nov. 28. Earlier he had taught at the Benjamin Cardozo School of Law, and, for 14 years, the University of Connecticut. He retired from Rutgers in 2000, after 19 years of service. At each institution he was honored for his teaching, research, and public service, particularly with regard to bankruptcy and consumer credit laws. He was a nationally recognized expert on the use of empirical research in the development and application of the law of civil procedure and jurisprudence, on which he wrote many professional articles and books. He also co-authored two prominent casebooks. He was known for his 1969 article, “Profit on Default: An Archival Study of Automobile Repossession and Resale,” which was published in The Stanford Law Review in 1969. During the 1980s, after creditors attacked the 1978 Bankruptcy Code, he did a statistical study on bankrupts by enlisting law students to obtain data from bankruptcy petitions and write custom database programs to record the information. After months of gathering and analyzing data, he proved that bankrupts really were broke and had significant reasons for bankruptcy. Another study disproved the creditor prediction that pro-debtor rulings as to bankruptcy and foreclosure would cause lenders to make fewer mortgages. He served as deputy director to the U.S. Commission on Bankruptcy Laws of the United States and testified before Congress during the 1980s. He was a board member of the Consumers League of New Jersey and co-chair of the Coalition to Save Bankruptcy for Consumers. His wife is Dr. Hedvah Lang Shuchman CW’52 G’54.
James J. Wechsler W’53, Paoli, Pa., co-owner of the Wechsler Group, an insurance agency, until his retirement in 1989; Oct. 13. He and his brother established the agency in the 1950s. During the 1970s, according to his daughter, he obtained life insurance coverage for members of the Delaware County Association of Retarded Citizens, after mentally handicapped people had been unable to get coverage. During the Korean War he served with the U.S. Air Force in Germany.
Dr. Elsie Weigand Wiedner CW’53, Philadelphia, a literature teacher at Akiba Hebrew Academy from 1979 until her retirement in 1994; Nov. 1. She had taught at universities in Massachusetts, Michigan, and Canada in the late 1950s before teaching English at Rutgers University Camden from 1966 to 1978. In retirement she read to disabled people at Inglis House, a nursing-care facility in Philadelphia. “She felt loved there,” said her son, David. “She devised ways for the severely handicapped to communicate and ask questions after she read them Shakespeare, poetry, and Mark Twain.”
Anne Marie Wilson NTS’53, Cinnaminson, N.J., April 28, 2003.
Thompson W. Young WEv’53, Camp Hill, Pa., a retired employee of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board; Oct. 1. A veteran of World War II, he was a past commander of VFW Post 7530 in Lower Allen Township.
1954 | A. William Bailey W’54, Signal Mountain, Tenn., the retired vice president of voluntary benefits with Provident Life and Accident Insurance Company; Aug. 26. From 1954 to 1975 he worked for Travelers Insurance Co. in New Jersey and Washington. In 1975 he continued his career in Tennessee as manager of Volunteer Life’s pension division and then with Provident Life and Accident, until his retirement in 1999. He was a former president of the Republican Club of Moorestown, N.J. He had served in the U.S. Army as a first lieutenant and was stationed at Fort Lewis in Washington. “He was always proud to have been part of the Wharton School experience,” according to his wife.
Anthony J. Cugini C’54, Berlin, Pa., a retired school superintendent; Sept. 28. He also coached football for many years. At Penn he was a member of the varsity football team and Kappa Sigma fraternity.
David W. Doelp Sr. Ar’54, Philadelphia, senior project architect at Kling, an architectural firm, until his retirement in 2002; Oct. 10. During his career there, he was involved in the Bell Atlantic Tower and 11 Penn Center projects, as well as major constructions in Washington and Minneapolis. He lectured on and gave tours of Philadelphia buildings for the Foundation for Architecture for several years. And for 12 years he researched and meticulously constructed a four-foot-long, realistically detailed nativity set in his dining room, including tiny baskets of food, cooking pots, and roof tiles. He also restored a 150-year-old Weaver reed organ, replacing the inscription to read “Weaver-Doelp.”
Dr. Edward P. Henefer D’54 GD’56, Lansdale, Pa., the former head of oral surgery at Pennsylvania Hospital and professor of oral surgery and anesthesia at the Penn Dental School; Nov. 20. He joined the dental school faculty after serving as a captain in the U.S. Army Dental Corps in Fort Rucker, Ala. He was chief of oral surgery at Pennsylvania Hospital from 1971 to 1980, after which he went into private practice. He retired in 1993, but continued to teach part time until 2003. Dr. Henefer received the Dental School’s Alumni Award of Merit in 2004.
Thomas F. Meehan Jr. L’54, Newtown Square, Pa., a retired attorney; Nov. 9, 2003. His wife is Violet Hursh Meehan Ed’43 GEd’43 L’45.
Arthur B. Miller C’54, Newtown Square, Pa., June 9.
Jay V. Righter Jr. WEv’54, Ormond Beach, Fla., August. He had worked for RCA for 39 years.
Raymond C. Schlegel L’54, Wernersville, Pa., a retired attorney; Sept. 29.
Dr. Victor Kremens GM’55, Wyncote, Pa., a retired radiologist who helped develop mammography; Dec. 2. In the 1950s he assisted Jacob Gershon-Cohen, the head of radiology at Albert Einstein Medical Center, in pioneering mammography. Dr. Kremens established the radiology department at Rolling Hill Hospital in Cheltenham during the 1960s. He maintained practices in Philadelphia and Elkins Park before retiring in the 1980s. He was then a volunteer consultant with the Montgomery County Department of Children and Youth Services. An accomplished photographer and sailor, he exhibited his work in local galleries and had sailed from the Chesapeake Bay to New England and back numerous times.
Howard R. Levine W’55, New York, a retired attorney; July 6.
Dr. Orville G. Lewis Jr. V’55, Washington, Pa., a retired veterinarian; Nov. 25, 2001.
Barbara J. Wert NTS’55, Camp Hill, Pa., Oct. 21. She was retired from the former Capital Blue Shield. In 1984 she retired as a lieutenant colonel, active duty, in the U.S. Air Force Reserve, after 20 years of service.
Richard D. MacMullan C’56, Milford, Ct., Sept. 18, 2000.
Thomas F. Clancy ME’58, Germantown, Md., Sept. 23. He had worked for the federal systems division of IBM. His brother is John A. Clancy ME’63 GME’64.
William A. Harkins Ar’58, Wilmington, Del., Feb. 19, 2004.
John P. McKenna L’58, Silver Spring, Md., a retired attorney; July 19, 2003.
William H. Rieser WG’58, Perkasie, Pa., Feb. 15, 2004.
Joseph J. Walylko EE’58, Sewell, N.J., Sept. 30.
John F. Fegely W’59, Reno, Nev., the retired chair and director of Regional Brokers, Inc.; Sept. 28. In 1961 he became a senior analyst at Fidelity Trust Co. in Philadelphia, and later was a bond trader with Bache & Co., now Prudential Securities. In the 1970s he was a partner in Poole & Co., a municipal underwriting and trading firm. He was controlling shareholder when he sold the firm in 1976. He retired from Regional Brokers in 2001. He was a past president of the Reno Philharmonic. And he collected paintings by Brandywine Valley artists, including N.C. Wyeth, according to his son.
Edward A. Irvin WG’59, Pittsburgh, a vice president in the trust department of Mellon Bank, until his retirement in 1986; Oct. 19. He was an avid patron of arts organizations, including the Pittsburgh Opera and the Pittsburgh Ballet Theater. And he was a member of the University Club of Pittsburgh. He served in the U.S. Army, 1956-58, and was stationed in Stuttgart, Germany.
Thomas B. Muldoon WG’59, Topsfield, Mass., June 21.
1962 | Dian Boone GFA’62, Philadelphia, an interior designer for universities and colleges, including Penn, Princeton, Penn State, Bryn Mawr, and Swarthmore, and Oct. 18. Her design work, which was influenced by architects Aldo Giurgola and John Bower of the Philadelphia School, was known for its simplicity and imaginative use of color and texture. “The wonderful thing about Dian was that she was not ideologically focused…she was pragmatic, which made for the richness, the validity, and vitality in her work,” said architect Robert C. Venturi Hon’80. Earlier she had a brief career as a painter. She was completing renovations at the University’s president’s residence at the time of her death.
Col. Meade D. Wildrick Jr. WG’63, Richmond, March 15, 2004.
Dr. Harold W. Emery Jr. Gr’64, Ithaca, N.Y., Sept. 11.
Dr. Walter D. Epple C’64, Augusta, Ga., a retired neurosurgeon; June 4, 2001. He had served in the U.S. Public Health Service and the Coast Guard.
Ruth Hadra OT’64, Chicago, March 6, 2002.
Janet R. Mesirov CW’64, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., the executive administrator of the National Museum of American Jewish History in Philadelphia; Aug. 26. During her five years at the museum, she administered plans for the new building, which is scheduled to open in 2006. She also assisted in other museum departments. “Janet was my right and left hand,” said Gwen Goodman, director of the museum. for many years earlier she had operated Present Perfect, a gift shop that specialized in wedding invitations and bridal gifts. She also cooked meals for the elderly housebound.
Isabella Bayne Ryan GEd’64, Lansdowne, Pa., Sept. 27, 2001. Her daughter is Gwynne Ryan Lynch C’90.
Dr. Peter R. Kressler G’65 Gr’68, Wenonah, N.J., Dec. 8, 2003.
Allan M. Smith GEE’65, Moorestown, N.J., Jan. 28, 2004.
Abner C. Johnston Jr. WG’66 Charlotte, N.C., Oct. 10, 2002.
Dr. Crumpton Farrell WG’68 G’71 Gr’75, Saint Cloud, Minn., Nov. 17.
Dr. Arthur M. Rogers GM’68, Oyster Bay, N.Y., a physician; Aug. 24.
Theodore O. Yntema Jr. WG’68, West Bloomfield, Mich., the co-founder of Yntema, Wood and Co., an institutional-investment-strategy firm for portfolio managers; May 25.
1969 | Dr. Stephen L. Sacks C’69, Vancouver, a professor of medicine at the University of British Columbia and the founder of Viridae, a clinical research organization that specialized in viral infections; Nov. 27, 2003. A specialist in treating genital herpes, he was the author of The Truth About Herpes, a scholarly handbook that was also accessible to a lay audience. And he edited a medical textbook on herpes infections. Dr. Sacks participated in nearly all of the key clinical trials related to genital herpes, and was the lead investigator on studies of the drug famciclovir (Famvir) in its developmental stages. He designed trials of several topical medications for herpes as well. In 1993 he founded Viridae, through which he conducted important research on hepatitis, human papillomavirus, and other viral infections. “Steve was a passionate advocate for benefiting people with genital herpes,” said a colleague, Dr. Lawrence Corey, of the University of Washington. “He was concerned about … giving people the tools to cope with their disease and to present options and new therapies for both individual and collective benefit.” Another colleague, health writer Charlie Ebel, said, “At a scientific gathering, he could always be counted on to ask a prestigious lecturer the most sophisticated and difficult question and bring a smile to the entire audience.”
Joanne Checklick Dors Nu’70, Palm Coast, Fla., Aug. 15. She had worked for the department of Health Services for Suffolk County, New York.
Jane S Hormadaly GEd’70, Liberty, N.Y., April 22, 2004.
Philip A. Rathweg WG’70, Dayton, Ohio, Oct. 30.
Terrence L. Parker GCE’72 WG’72, Cincinnati, March 11, 2001.
1974 | Roman M. Haras C’74, Seattle, a commercial fisherman, master mariner, and public defender; Oct. 8. At Penn he was a member of the fencing and rugby teams and was a cook at the Christian Association, where he helped Karl L. Harter III C’73 “invent the then-famous whole-wheat pizza,” according to Gareth E. Glaser C’74. He also waited tables and tended bar at La Terrasse. Gareth taught Roman how to play chess; “a big mistake, as within several months he would win every game.” Having spent several summers fishing off the coast of Alaska while at Penn, Roman became a commercial fisherman in Seattle, catching redfish and turbot in northern waters for almost 30 years. After obtaining a law degree in 1987, he became a public defender.
1976 | Ronald A. White L’76, a prominent Philadelphia attorney and political fundraiser; Nov. 4. He began his career working with A. Benjamin Johnson, a criminal-defense lawyer who specialized in murder cases. In 1979 he set up his own practice, concentrating on civil work. His clients included SEPTA, and he defended insurance companies in personal-injury lawsuits. By 1980 he was employing 10 lawyers working in several cities. He entered politics in the 1980s and soon began raising money for U.S. Senator Arlen Specter, who in the early 1990s appointed him to a commission that helped select nominees for federal judgeships. He also served as general counsel to the National Black Caucus of State Legislators. As a fundraiser for then-Mayor Ed Rendell C’65 Hon’00 and then-city council president John Street, in 1991 he created Citizens Action, a political-action committee for state lobbying; he later established Citizens Watch 2000, that focused on federal issues. Active in charity work, he established the Ronald A. White Scholarship at Wesleyan University, his alma mater, and the Youth Leadership Foundation, a Philadelphia charity.
1985 | Dr. Alex Poljak C’85, Branford, Conn., the director of occupational medicine at Greenwich Hospital; July 3. In 1994 he co-founded Medlink, Inc., a Manhattan company specializing in computer patient-record systems, and served as its executive vice president. In 1997 he was the founder, chair, and chief medical officer of Medlinx Interactive, Inc., a company that developed Internet-based clinical documentation for physicians. He went on to establish Integrated Medical Systems and Occupational Health Solutions. Dr. Poljak was an urgent-care provider and family practitioner at Coastline Medical Center in Branford, and was later associate medical director of Healthsouth/U.S. Healthworks.
1993 | Barbara Jo Johnson WG’93, San Francisco, a partner at Deloitte & Touche where she served as a vice president of tax for the Duracell and Gap accounts; Oct. 30. She was active with the board for Battered Women in Atlanta, the Atlanta Ballet, and the Susan G. Komen Foundation, which granted her its Hope and Inspiration Award in 2003. She was the founder of the Allison Taylor Holbrooks Fund for Breast Cancer.
1996 | Ellen L. Brady GNu’96, Andorra, Pa., a nurse practitioner at Chester County Hospital and a former trauma nurse at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania; Oct. 27. She began her career as a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force. She then worked at HUP, and then as a nurse practitioner at South Side Medical Center in Petersburg, Va., before joining the staff at Chester County Hospital.
1998 | Mark M. Goodman GFA’98, Charlotte, N.C., the director of restoration for the Global Heritage Foundation; Oct. 3. A few of his most notable historical archaeological restorations for the Foundation, which is funded by the United Nations and individual governments, include the restoration of the Aqueduct at Caesarea in Israel, the Gordian Project in Turkey (the ancient city of King Midas), and the Nazareth Village Project (which restored the ancient village to its first-century appearance). He published many papers and articles on classical restoration and lectured at universities in the U.S. and abroad.
1999 | Amy M. Bogdanoff GEd’99, Swedesboro, N.J., special-events coordinator for the School of Veterinary Medicine; Dec. 9. She began her career there in 1999, as an administrative assistant in the medical-genetics section. In 2001 she joined the school’s development and alumni-relations office as special-events coordinator, where she managed the Penn Annual Conference, one of the largest conferences for veterinarians and veterinary technicians in the eastern U.S. She also planned the dedication and re-naming ceremony for the Matthew J. Ryan Veterinary Hospital and the ground-breaking ceremony for the school’s new teaching and research building. She was a former secretary of the Weekly-Paid Professional Staff Assembly.
Richard Y. Lee C’99, Palisades Park, N.J., a compliance analyst with Goldman Sachs in Jersey City; Oct. 1. His sister is Ilene Y. Siringo C’96.
Dr. Domingo M. Aviado. See Class of 1948.
Amy M. Bogdanoff. See Class of 1999.
Dr. James C. Diggory. See Class of 1948.
Dr. Edward P. Henefer. See Class of 1954.
Dr. William L. Levy. See Class of 1934.
Dr. Jean A. Sayegh. See Class of 1949.
Charles W. Shaeffer, Baltimore, a lecturer in portfolio management for the individual at the Wharton School from 1962 to 1972; Dec. 19. Inspired by the stock market crash in 1929 and its effect on his family, he began a career in finance in 1935, working in the investment advisory department of Mackubin, Legg & Co. (now Legg Mason), a Baltimore brokerage firm. In 1937 he joined T. Rowe Price Jr. and Associates as an investment counselor and partner. He rose to the position of president in 1963 and chair of the board and president in 1966, at the retirement of Thomas Price. In addition to his executive responsibilities with T. Rowe Price, he served as president and director of the T. Rowe Price Growth Stock Fund, the nation’s largest no-load mutual fund at the time. Under his leadership the fund enjoyed a record year in 1972, despite a difficult economic climate. He retired in 1975. Long active in the area of investor education, he was an instructor in corporate finance and investments at Baltimore College of Commerce from 1938 to 1963 and was a frequent lecturer in investment management at the Johns Hopkins University, 1960 to 1972. In 1973 Loyola College awarded him an honorary degree of doctor of laws. As an analyst of financial markets and economic trends, he remained in demand as a speaker and panelist at investment management conferences and seminars. And he made many television appearances, including Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeyser, during which he accurately predicted the 1970s as “the worst period of inflation this country has ever had.” From 1968 to 1972 he was a member of the board of governors of the Investment Company Institute and served as their chair, 1975-76. From 1969 to 1971 he was president of the Investment Counsel Association of America. He was president of the No-Load Mutual Fund Association (now the Mutual Fund Education Alliance) from 1971 to 1975. He had the honor of being the only individual to have led the mutual-fund industry’s three professional associations.
Dr. Edward B. Shils. See Class of 1936.
©2005 The Pennsylvania Gazette