1926 | Lewis Heicklen W’26, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., a retired shoe sales executive; Aug. 6. At Penn he was first violinist in the university orchestra. He worked for the Payes Shoe Co. in Philadelphia before founding the Lewis Heicklen Sales Co. in New York. After the G. R. Kinney Corp. acquired his firm in the 1950s, he became a vice president there. Later he was an executive board member of the Kinney-Woolworth Co. During World War II he was a leader in footwear production for the U.S. military. After retiring he founded businesses in Philadelphia that were among the first to import footwear from Brazil and China. “He was referred to by colleagues as the dean of the footwear industry,” according to one of his daughters, Janet Heicklen Zolot Ed’52. From 1956 to 1962 he was president of Beth Sholom Congregation in Elkins Park, where he worked with Frank Lloyd Wright on the design of its synagogue there, which opened in his last year in office. In the 1980s he was a board member of the Jewish Theological Seminary and of its patron society. He was honored by Hadassah and the State of Israel Bonds agency for having raised millions for Hadassah and its medical work in Israel. Another daughter is Sandra Heicklen Kohn Ed’59; his grandson is Andrew E. Zolot W’76.
Vincent A. Luisi C’30, Lansdowne, Pa., July 22. One of his daughters is Norma Luisi Vogel GEd’72.
William F. Rowland W’30, Washington, May 23, 2005.
Earl W. Cook C’31, Gainesville, Fla., June 16.
Trean Benfer Matz Ed’32 G’33, Blue Bell, Pa., Sept. 5. She received the Alumni Award of Merit in 1993 and was Class President from 1999 to 2005. She served on the Penn Alumni Council, 2001-05. Her husband was Dr. Adolph Matz C’32 Gr’37, emeritus professor of accounting at the Wharton School.
Gustave A. Heckscher II C’36, Gladwyne, Pa., a retired executive with the former United Engineers and Constructors, Inc., in Philadelphia; Aug. 16. He joined the firm as a purchasing agent in 1947. He was named a vice president in 1967 and served on its board. He was in charge of its contracts to build several nuclear power plants in the 1970s, including Three Mile Island, near Harrisburg. Before retiring in 1975 he helped negotiate the merger of United Engineers with Raytheon. A past governor general of the Society of Colonial Wars, he had headed its Pennsylvania chapter. He was a former member of the vestry of St. David’s Episcopal Church in Wayne. During World War II he served in U.S. Army intelligence in the North African and Mediterranean theaters, earning a bronze star. One of his sons is Gustave A. Heckscher III Ar’62.
Dr. Theodore R. Vine C’36 D’38, Ewing, N.J., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Trenton for over 46 years; March 26, 2006. During World War II he served as a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army.
back to top
1937 | Joseph D. Bowman WEv’37, Baltimore, a retired executive; June 27. He had served as executive vice president in charge of the Waring products division of Dynamics Corp. of America and as vice president and chief operating officer of National Telephone Co., Inc. After retiring in 1981 he taught business seniors at the University of Connecticut. He was vice chair of the board and consultant to Bartizan Corp. He served as a board member of National Telephone Co., Inc. and Connecticut Bank and Trust. During World War II he served as a senior instructor at the U.S. Army Finance School, attaining the rank of captain.
Jeanette Kessler Brill CW’37 G’38, Rochester, N.Y., April 11, 2006. Her children are Esther Brill CW’67, Jonathan Brill C’70, and Joel Brill C’73.
Dr. Joseph H. Burchenal M’37, Hanover, N.H., retired chief of clinical chemotherapy for Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital in New York, who had received the Lasker Medical Research Award for his pioneering drug treatments for leukemia and other cancers; March 8. He joined Memorial Sloan-Kettering in the late 1940s. In the 1950s he and others experimented with pharmaceutical solutions for cancer and used them in path-breaking clinical trials. His early work involved treating leukemia in children with the compound 6-mercaptopurine, leading to a high remissions rate; the drug remains in use, in combination with others, for acute leukemia. He contributed to innovative treatments using chemotherapy for East African children suffering from Burkitt’s lymphoma; in collaboration with others, he helped develop treatments that led to remissions in two-thirds of cases, and some cures. For this work Dr. Burchenal and others received the Lasker Award in 1972. He served as vice president of the Sloan-Kettering Institute and head of its applied therapy laboratory before retiring in 1983. He was also a member of the faculty at Cornell University. He was president of the American Association for Cancer Research in 1965. In 1963 he received the Alfred P. Sloan Award for cancer research.
Preston David Ed’37 GEd’38, Auburndale, Mass., former executive director of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in the late 1970s; Feb. 4, 2006. Working with then Commission chair Eleanor Holmes Norton, he pioneered initiatives to address employment discrimination in the U.S. During his tenure he was nominated for the Presidential Rank of Distinguished Executive. Previously he was executive director of the New York City Human Rights Commission, where he carried out the mandates of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. While serving as director of social and community services for the New York City Housing Authority he earned the Public Service Award “for outstanding professional achievement in the field of civil and human rights.” Earlier he had worked for Jewish community services in Philadelphia and New York. For five decades he taught courses on The Great Books series. In retirement he was a commissioner for the Montgomery County (Md.) Commission on Human Rights, a consultant for Montgomery College in Bethesda, Md., and as a volunteer for Common Cause. More lately, he served the institutional review board of Lasell College in Newton, Mass., and worked on their accreditation study.
Philip N. Linde Ar’37, Bennington, Vt., Aug. 6.
Pennington H. Way Jr. C’37, San Mateo, Calif., a retired insurance executive; Jan. 20, 2006.
back to top
Marguerite Fox Louden CW’38, Jamison, Pa., July 12.
Robert Meyers ChE’38, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Aug. 7.
Nancy Turner Yancey Ed’38 GEd’39, Philadelphia, Sept. 10.
back to top
Eleanor Loos Kleinschmidt CW’39, Manchester, N.H., June 22, 2005.
Frederick W. Ponder WEv’39, Orangeburg, S.C., a financial officer at the duPont Co. for 41 years; April 14, 2006.
David S. Smith WG’39, Stuart, Fla., Feb. 4, 2006.
Harry W. Wenger W’39, Scottsdale, Ariz., Aug. 28.
back to top
Beverly S. Kravitz CW’40, Singer Island, Fla., a retired interior designer and decorator; Aug. 9.
Benjamin O. Leff W’40, Houston, Dec. 2005.
Joseph H. Leopold CE’40, Soddy Daisy, Tenn., a retired engineer with Zimmerman, Evans and Leopold in Atlanta; Feb. 14, 2006. He had written two books on economics.
Stanley C. Tuttleman W’40, Merion, Pa., a clothing manufacturer and Philadelphia philanthropist; Aug. 3. He worked at the Wilson Bros. clothing manufacturing plant in Arthurdale, W.Va., until 1953. Returning to Philadelphia, he founded Quakertown Shirt Manufacturers, which made shirts under the Hathaway label. In 1960 he opened his first store, which sold inexpensive women’s clothing. Within 10 years he had opened 14 more stores in Northeast Philadelphia. In the early 1970s he co-founded Mast Industries, said to be one of the world’s largest clothing manufacturers, with factories in nine countries; he sold it to the Limited in 1979 but remained with the company until 1983. In 1980 he founded Midshipman, which sold women’s sportswear straight from the manufacturers in Season’s Best stores. According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, he opened what are considered to be the first outlet stores, in Philadelphia, Salisbury, Md., Vermont, and Connecticut; he later sold those in the 1990s. He and one of his sons, Steven M. Tuttleman W’81, started Highland Associates in Bala Cynwyd, a private-equity firm. A major philanthropist in the Philadelphia area, he funded, among others, the Tuttleman Contemporary Art Gallery at the Philadelphia Museum of Art; the Franklin Institute’s Tuttleman Omniverse Theater; the Tuttleman Sculpture Gallery at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts; the Tuttleman Library at Gratz College; the Tuttleman Imaging Center at Graduate Hospital; the Tuttleman Learning Center at Temple University; and the Tuttleman Chapel at Temple Adath Israel. Pennsylvania Governor Edward G. Rendell C’65 Hon’00 called him “an incredible philanthropist and benefactor for arts, culture, and education.” Stanley Tuttleman never retired, but at the age of 70 he began biking hundreds of miles with the AKs, a senior citizen group named after a Yiddish term for old-timers. He rode a bicycle from border to border in Colorado’s Ride the Rockies for three consecutive years and biked in Israel, Vienna, and Prague. He claimed to be the oldest person to compete in the Assault on Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina, the tallest mountain in the eastern U.S. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army as a field artillery officer in North Africa, for which he was awarded the Bronze Star. His daughter is Dr. Jan Shanis Tuttleman Gr’86.
Dr. Robert Weinstock C’40, Oberlin, Ohio, May 16.
Richard C. Woltemate W’40, New Castle, Del., July 7. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise and the U.S.S. Wasp.
back to top
1941 | Robert G. Hocker C’41 G’46, Havertown, Pa., a retired vice president of Cigna Corp.; July 8. He had taught at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro until joining the old Insurance Co. of North America (now Cigna) in 1963; he retired in 1986. He was a lay reader and member of the vestry at St. Faith Episcopal Church in Havertown. He sang in the church choir and with the Lulu Temple Chanters. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in North Africa and Sicily; he landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day, and he fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He was awarded a Bronze Star. In July 1945 he was a security guard at the Potsdam Conference. He also served in the Korean War and remained in the Army Reserve until 1980, retiring as a colonel. One of his sons is Capt. Robert G. Hocker Jr. CE’71.
Richard J. Kates ME’41, Merion, Pa., July 3.
Patricia Weil Kohn FA’41, Philadelphia, Pa., July 24.
back to top
John B. Cohen C’42, Orlando, Fla., Aug. 23.
George E. Hikes M’42, Gettysburg, Pa., April 20, 2006.
Alvin J. Mentzel W’42, West Tisbury, Mass., March 27, 2006.
William G. Ralston Jr. WEv’42, Lansdowne, Pa., a certified public accountant who had worked in the Philadelphia office of Coopers & Lybrand (now PricewaterhouseCoopers) for 35 years; Feb. 15, 2006. For the last 15 years, until his retirement in 1978, he was manager of the small-business services department.
Karl G. Thress WEv’42, Media, Pa., Aug. 10.
back to top
Harold E. Manley WEv’43 CCC’51, West Chester, Pa., former vice president of finance and treasurer at the University; June 18. He came to Penn as an assistant bookkeeper in 1938; he was appointed assistant controller in 1946, controller in 1954, and business manager in 1961. Two years later he became vice president and Penn’s chief financial officer. The additional post of treasurer was added in 1975. At his retirement in 1981, he had worked for the University for 43 years.
Dr. Russell W. Pfeil C’43 M’46 GM’50, Montoursville, Pa., a general practitioner who had maintained a practice there from 1949 until his retirement in 1989; Aug. 5. He was on the staff of Divine Providence and Williamsport hospitals, the latter where he held two terms on the board. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army as a captain on the hospital ships Comfort, Hope and Mercy in the Pacific and on the Gen. Hahn Army transport ship.
Isabel Boyd Snyder Ed’43 GEd’44, Newtown Square, Pa., March 1, 2003.
back to top
1944 | Dr. Kenneth M. Carroll M’44, Dunedin, Fla., a retired internist and medical administrator; July 22. For more than 20 years he shared a group practice in Lancaster, Pa.; from 1971 to 1980 he was medical director of St. Joseph’s Hospital. For the next 10 years he held executive positions, including medical director and president, with Health Care Plan of New Jersey in Cherry Hill, which merged with Health Insurance Plan (HIP) of New York; after retiring in 1990 he was a consultant for HIP in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., for five years. A jazz enthusiast, he helped found the Pennsylvania Jazz Festival in Lancaster, which benefited St. Joseph’s Hospital.
Alyce Jacob Everitt CW’44, Beach Haven, N.J., June 12.
Dr. Philip Rubovits-Seitz M’44 GM’50, Washington, May 14, 2004.
Charles W. Yust WEv’44, Philadelphia, a former vice president of PNB Bank; July 23.
back to top
1945 | Philip L. Blumenthal Jr. W’45, Indianapolis, a management consultant and former partner in Geo. S. Olive and Co.; April 28, 2006. He served a total of 33 years in the U.S. Navy Reserve, including five years of active duty, retiring as a captain; he had commanded various units in central Indiana.
John W. Dennett W’45, Walpole, Mass., Feb. 22, 2002.
Charles S. Fischer W’45, West Chester, Pa., a retired accountant; July 31. After working for accountants in Philadelphia, he partnered with the late Henry F. Sanville Jr. W’38 to establish Sanville & Fischer, an accounting firm in West Chester, which later merged with Maillie, Falconiero & Co. He retired in the 1990s. He was past president of the Adirondack League Club and past president and treasurer of the St. Andrew’s Society of Philadelphia. He served in the U.S. Navy at the end of World War II and again in the Korean War; he was stationed in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and in the Mediterranean.
James W. Hagar W’45 L’49, Umatilla, Fla., June 3.
Joseph B. Ottenstein W’45, Daytona Beach, Fla., June 1.
Dr. Elaine Duffy Stinner Ed’45 GrEd’51, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Aug. 29.
back to top
Dr. Salvatore F. Cataudella D’46, Methuen, Mass., Feb. 24, 2006.
Dr. A. Joseph Depietro D’46, Somers Point, N.J., Nov. 20, 2004.
Dr. Tom M. Limoli C’46 D’48, Atlanta, a dentist who had maintained a practice over 50 years; Sept. 20. He owned a private practice in Hinesville, 1952-62, before moving to Atlanta. He held faculty positions at several universities, including Emory, the Medical College of Georgia, and Penn. Known as anauthority on dental insurance benefits and reimbursements, he founded Atlanta Dental Consultants/Limoli and Associates to educate the profession. He also wrote textbooks and other publications on the subject, helping to make dental care more affordable for millions of Americans. In 1998 he established the Limoli Scholarship Award at the University’s School of Dental Medicine, presented annually to “the senior dental student who presents an in-depth understanding of the practice-management skills necessary to deal with the issues of third-party reimbursement.” An accomplished clarinetist, he was a union musician who played with several bands and orchestras, including the Atlanta Concert Band. During the Korean War he served as an officer in the U.S. Army Dental Corps.
Elizabeth Wallace Muller G’46, Ardsley, N.Y., July 19.
Franklin Poul, W’46 L’48, Wynnewood, Pa., former counsel of the Philadelphia law firm of Wolf, Block, Schorr & Solis-Cohen; Aug. 20. One of his daughters is Dr. Leslie Poul Melman CW’74.
Dr. Abraham Rosenzweig Ch’46, Sarasota, Fla., Oct. 9, 2005.
back to top
F. Eugene Dixon Jr. CCC’47 Hon’84, Lafayette Hill, Pa., a former term trustee of the University, who was also a civic leader in Philadelphia; Aug. 2. He was heir to the Widener fortune. His grandfather and uncle died aboard the Titanic; according to The Philadelphia Inquirer, he often wore the emerald ring that his grandfather handed to his grandmother as she boarded a lifeboat. He taught English and French at Episcopal Academy, where he also coached tennis, squash, and football and later served as the director of both athletics and admissions. He also served as director of PNC Bank, ESB Inc., and Liberty National Bank. He joined the advisory board of the Morris Arboretum in 1981, then was a term trustee from 1984 to 1988. Last year he served as an ex-officio member of the School of Veterinary Medicine’s Board of Overseers. He had also served on the Athletic Advisory Board. In 1984 he was awarded an honorary degree by the School of Veterinary Medicine, “in recognition of his devotion to horses and his important support for the improvement of their care.” Throughout his life Fitz Dixon remained devoted to Philadelphia; in 1976 he purchased Philadelphia’s LOVE sculpture by Robert Indiana, donating it to the city following its removal by the artist after the Bicentennial. That year he purchased the 76ers basketball team, and paid $6.6 million for star play Julius Erving, Dr. J. He was part-owner of the Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers. He was chair of the Fairmount Park Commission, the Art Commission, and the Delaware Port Authority. He chaired the State System of Higher Education from 1983 to 2002. He was a trustee of Temple and Widener universities, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and the Philadelphia Free Library; his financial contribution to the Art Museum helped the purchase in 2000 of John Singleton Copley’s Portrait of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Mifflin. In 2001 he endowed Abington Memorial Hospital’s nursing school to provide student scholarships and interest-free loans. A noted horseman, he was a long-time member of Pennsylvania’s Horse Racing Commission; the Dixon Oval, at the Devon Horse Show is named after him. And he had recently purchased an offspring of Smarty Jones, the Philadelphia horse that won the 2004 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. In Palm Beach, Fla., he had chaired the Society of the Four Arts since 1988, where he was responsible for the expansion of the campus, including the acquisition of the old Palm Beach Public School building, which has since been renamed in his honor. “Fitz Dixon was the perfect board chair and the perfect colleague,” said Ervin Duggan, current president. “He was supportive, candid, forceful, and sound in his judgment. He is irreplaceable.”
Joseph F. X. Gillin WEv’47, Drexel Hill, Pa., July 8.
George M. James L’47, Vero Beach, Fla., Dec. 25, 2005.
Eugene F. Lawless WEF’47, Scranton, Pa., Jan. 15, 2004.
George P. Schmidt Jr. FA’47 GFA’49, Brooklyn, N.Y., associate professor of history for the past 43 years at the Pratt Institute; Aug. 30. He helped found and for many years coordinated a study-abroad program in Denmark. Also a painter, he had received two Fulbright grants to study in London.
back to top
Rev. Warren H. Davis Jr. C’48, Philadelphia, rector of St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church in Gladwyne, Pa., from 1965 until his retirement in 1991; July 6., Previously he had been rector at St. Peter’s Church in Germantown for nine years. Earlier, he served in the merchant marine for three years as chaplain at the Seamen’s Church Institute in Philadelphia. In retirement he was an interim priest and guest preacher at several Philadelphia-area Episcopal churches, including Christ Church in Old City and St. Paul’s in Chestnut Hill. Since 1997 he was a pastoral associate at St. Peter’s Church in Glenside. A jazz pianist, he was a member of a musical ensemble, the Gabriels, that initiated jazz vespers at Old Pine Street Presbyterian Church in Society Hill in 1986. He later played jazz vespers at churches where he ministered. The group also played in local jazz clubs; he last performed with them in June.
W. Malcolm Drake W’48, Newark, Del., Jan. 2005.
Harold Fowler WEv’48, Leesburg, Fla., April 2006.
Wilson K. Leatherman C’48, Milford, N.H., Aug. 1.
Grace Brewster McConnell GEd’48, Wynnewood, Pa., July 26.
Dr. Almarin Phillips W’48 G’49, Wynnewood, Pa., the John C. Hower Professor Emeritus of Public Policy and Management; Aug. 26. He began his academic career at Penn in 1948 as an instructor in economics. In 1953 he was promoted to assistant professor of economics, and in 1963 to professor of economics and law. In 1983 he was named to the endowed chair. He served as chair of the economics department, 1968-71 and 1972-73; associate dean for the social sciences in the Wharton School, 1973-74; dean of the former School of Public and Urban Policy, 1974-77; and chair of the Faculty Senate, 1990-91. And he served on the executive committee of the Penn Association of Senior and Emeritus Faculty. Dr. Phillips wrote, co-wrote, or edited eight books, including the classic text Market Structure, Organization, and Performance, and more than a hundred articles. He had also taught at the University of Virginia for seven years and was a visiting professor at numerous universities, nationally and internationally. After being appointed emeritus in 1991, he chaired the board of Econsult Corp., a Philadelphia economic-consulting firm, for five years. Dr. Phillips was a world expert on industrial economics and the economics of regulation, according to Econsult president, Dr. David L. Crawford, adjunct professor of management. For more than 50 years Dr. Phillips consulted on major antitrust issues, from the merger of McDonnell Aircraft and Douglas Aircraft in 1967 to several major conspiracy cases, on which he was consulting at the time of his death. Perhaps his highest profile matter was the case brought by the U.S. Department of Justice that led to the break-up of AT&T in the early 1980s. Committed to helping students who were struggling to obtain an education, he was a member of the foundation board of Philadelphia Community College. During World War II he served with the Army’s 84th Infantry Division in the Netherlands and Germany; wounded by enemy fire in 1944, he lost his left arm. He was awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star. His second wife, Carole Cherry Phillips Gr’75, died in 2005.
Myron G. Thomas WEv’48, Gywnedd, Pa., the chief executive officer of Hatboro Federal Savings, 1946-87; Aug. 19.
Dr. Arthur L. Warner M’48, Denver, a retired physician who specialized in public health and pediatrics; Aug. 8.
Robert B. Woolery W’48, Ocean City, N.J., a distribution manager for Hammermill Paper Co., where he worked for 14 years before retiring in 2002; July 11. Earlier he had worked for Keebler and Krylon.
Richard F. Young Ed’48, Philadelphia, a teacher of typing and shorthand at Upper Merion High School from 1950 until his retirement in 1980; July 1. Convinced of the importance of typing to computer skills, in retirement he taught typing to handicapped students in their homes. The Chapel of Four Chaplains honored him for his work with the disadvantaged. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army, during which he was left partially blind by corrective eye surgery.
back to top
Dr. Robert A. Gould M’49 GM’53, Yardley, Pa., a retired family physician; June 6. For 25 years, while maintaining his practice in Bucks County, he was physician for the Morrisville School District and was an examiner for pilot certification for the Federal Aviation Administration. He was a former chief of staff and medical director of Mercer Medical Center in Trenton, N.J., and a founder and officer of the Mercer Regional Medical Group. For two years he taught pharmacology at the University’s School of Medicine and did research on hyperbaric oxygen therapy. During the Korean War he served in the U.S. Army at its research laboratory in Bel Air, Md., where he helped write a field manual on the treatment of nerve-gas casualties.
Dr. John Hale GEE’49 GrE’57, Denver, July 4. His son is Mark Hale GCP’86.
Alexander H. Holcombe IV ME’49, Bradenton, Fla., June 15.
Melvin G. Jaspan C’49, Fort Lee, N.J., Oct. 25, 2004.
Holland B. Judkins WG’49, Savannah, Ga., Sept. 8, 2003.
William A. Kehr W’49, Marietta, Ga., April 17, 2006.
back to top
Virginia Sharp Keeley CW’50, Sarasota, Fla., July 25, 2005.
Bernard Liedman WEv’50, Jenkintown, Pa., Aug. 20.
Barbara Bodek Raphael Mu’50, Clifton, N.J., March 30, 2006.
Samuel S. Raup Ar’50, Elizabethtown, Pa., Nov. 19, 2005. He was a member emeritus of the Philadelphia chapter of the American Institute of Architects. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army’s 10th Mountain Division, serving in the mountains of Italy; he continued to be an active member in reunion ski events.
Gerald Rich Ed’50 GEd’51, Toms River, N.J., an English teacher at Toms River High School from 1951 until his retirement in 1988; Feb. 7, 2006. He taught college-prep senior English, developed and taught the creative writing and speech courses, and created the humanities curriculum. He was founding director of the school’s literary magazine, Shard; was the first cross-country coach in Ocean County; and served as a coach for high-school commencement speakers for 35 years. From 1966 to 1995 he was assistant professor of humanities at Ocean County College, and was a visiting teacher for the old Trenton State College, 1961-70. After retiring he taught Elderhostel programs for Stockton State College. He was a former president of the Toms River Education Association. He was a board member of the Garden State Philharmonic Society.
Allen A. Troutman W’50, Springfield, Pa., a systems analyst with Reliance Insurance Co., until his retirement in 1983; July 2. He was then a financial adviser and volunteered with AARP, helping senior citizens with tax returns. A member of Aldan Union Church for 43 years, he was a mission steward on the council of elders for the past 16 years. During the Korean War he served in the U.S. Army at Fort Bragg, N.C. His wife is Dorothy Dietrich Troutman CW’54.
David E. Welsh III W’50, York, Maine, the retired product manager for North American Brass and Aluminum; June. He had worked for several aluminum-industry companies in the Philadelphia area. For many years he served on the council of St. Paul’s Evangelical Church in Ardmore, Pa., where he sang bass in the choir; he also sang in barbershop choruses and competed internationally.
back to top
Madeleine E. Dever WEv’51, Malvern, Pa., Feb. 3, 2004.
Charles A. Hardwick WG’51, Townsend, Tenn., July 31, 2005.
Dr. James A. Miller D’51 GD’64, Columbus, N.J., Dec. 2, 2005.
Thomas B. Oglethorpe WG’51, San Antonio, May 5, 2005.
Dr. Charles F. Pierce M’51, Brandon, Miss., July 30, 2003.
Francis H. Pykon L’51, West Orange, N.J., Feb. 13, 2006.
Albert Schwartz WEv’51, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., Aug. 10.
Stanford Shmukler W’51 L’54, Philadelphia, a criminal defense attorney in Philadelphia for more than 50 years; Aug. 8. He first practiced with the late criminal lawyer Jacob Kossman C’30 G’43, who had represented Teamsters Union president Jimmy Hoffa. In 1958 he successfully argued his first of two cases before the U.S. Supreme Court, Plymouth Sedan v. Pennsylvania, which involved the Fourth Amendment search and seizure law. In 1966 he argued for the rights of his criminal clients to due process under the law in one of the five cases that came to be lumped together under the title Miranda. He defended avowed Nazi Roy Frankhouser, leader of the Ku Klux Klan in Pennsylvania, in a highly publicized 1975 trial; according to The Philadelphia Inquirer, Stanford, who was Jewish, was picketed by the Jewish Defense League and his house was firebombed. He received the Thurgood Marshall Award (formerly the Philadelphia Bar Association Award) for dedication to the rights of the accused in 1975 and again in 1991 for his lifetime of service. “Stan was enamored with the law,” said Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham. He was always about his client … he was never the center of attention.” In 1971 Stanford Shmukler headed the Pennsylvania Criminal Procedural Rules Committee, which drafted Rule 1100 that required the state to try a defendant within 180 days of arrest; and in 1989 he was first chair of the Pennsylvania Criminal Justice Act Selection Committee, which screens lawyers’ credentials who defend indigents charged with a murder. He taught law at Temple University, and was a member of the U.S. Army JAG unit from 1955 until 1990, retiring as a colonel. One of his sons is Joel M. Shmukler L’89, who is also a criminal defense attorney.
back to top
1952 | Dr. Gerald E. Clark C’52 D’59, West Chester, Pa., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Newtown Square for 35 years; Aug. 22. In retirement he was a substitute teacher at Unionville High School. During the Korean War he was a captain in the U.S. Marine Corps.
Dr. Jerome E. Levine GM’52, Baton Rouge, La., Feb. 26, 2006.
Dr. John E. Whitehead V’52, Spring Hill, Fla., chief of staff and director of the Henry Bergh Memorial Hospital of the ASPCA in New York from 1954 to 1976; June 10. During his tenure he established an internship and residency program there. He was a charter member and past president of the American Society of Veterinary Ophthalmology and a founder and past president of the Society for International Veterinary Symposia. He was past president of the Northern New Jersey Veterinary Association. He received the Distinguished Life Service Award from the New York City Veterinary Medical Association and an Award of Merit from the University’s Veterinary Alumni Society.
back to top
1953 | John D. Kemmerling W’53, Greenville, S.C., June 28. He had worked for Western Union Corp. He was a former treasurer of the Valley Hospital auxiliary in Ridgewood, N.J., and a longtime treasurer for First Presbyterian Church in Ramsey.
Dorothy S. Linden CW’53, Stone Ridge, N.Y., June 14.
Dr. Martin M. Manning D’53, Lexington, S.C., Dec. 2005.
William J. Slagada Jr. W’53, North Brunswick, N.J., July 30.
James H. Whitmoyer C’53, Eagles Mere, Pa., a development officer for the University for 39 years; Sept. 1. As a student, he was a member of Phi Gamma fraternity, played varsity baseball, and was captain of the squash and tennis teams. He joined the staff of the new development office in 1955, where he worked in alumni relations, special events, and fundraising, and helped to launch a major capital campaign. For 10 years he was director of Penn’s development office in New York, before retiring in 1995. He then volunteered as an emergency medical technician with the Malvern and Eagles Mere fire and ambulance departments. He was also active with the Eagles Mere Conservancy, clearing trails and maintaining the toboggan slide. He continued to compete in squash and tennis tournaments for many years; in 1960 he was a National Squash Doubles Champion with Howard A. Davis. He had served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps for two years. His daughter is Lynn Whitmoyer Lucas C’79, whose husband is Donald C. Lucas ChE’77. His son is James H. Whitmoyer Jr. C’82.
back to top
Ivan E. Lederer W’54, New York, March 7, 2006.
Bradford D. Smith W’54, Gladwyne, Pa., a mechanical engineer for Selas Fluid Processing Corp. of Blue Bell for 35 years; Sept. 1. He was a Republican committeeman in Lower Merion township for more than 15 years. His wife is Anne Myers Smith Ed’54.
back to top
Charles G. Cooke Jr. W’55, Wilmington, Del., Sept. 10.
Henry E. Martinson Jr. W’55 WG’61, Brunswick, Maine, May 12.
Dr. William J. O’Donnell Jr. D’55, Summerville, S.C., Sept. 2.
Dr. J. Bernard Poindexter Jr. D’55, Huntington, W.V., a dentist for 40 years; July 30. He was past president of the West Virginia Dental Association and dedicated his time as a dental consultant to the Veterans Administration Hospital in Huntington. He served on numerous boards, including the Inland Mutual Insurance Co., and was a former president of the Huntington YMCA. He served on the vestry of Trinity Episcopal Church, where he also taught Sunday School. He had been an officer in the U.S. Navy Dental Corps.
Sheldon Rappaport L’55, Silver Spring, Md., a senior financial-affairs adviser for the World Bank from 1982 until his retirement in 1992; July 5. He began his career as an attorney in private practice before joining the U.S. Customs Bureau in Washington in 1958. From 1961 to 1982 he was a lawyer for the Securities and Exchange Commission, where he first worked on a special study of the markets that became a springboard for many significant changes in securities laws. He became associate director of the division of market regulation, then deputy director in 1982, supervising the SEC’s staff oversight of the stock and options exchanges and the NASDAQ market. He moved to the World Bank in 1982. In retirement he became an arbitrator with the National Association of Securities Dealers and was a consultant on the regulatory programs of the Egyptian and Philippine stock exchanges.
Eugene J. Rogers WEv’55, Philadelphia, Aug. 3.
Robert M. Tinstman WG’55, Volente, Tex., Nov. 28, 2005.
back to top
Dr. James P. Fidler C’56 M’60, Cincinnati, May 19.
Richard F. Rose EE’56, Conyers, Ga., Oct. 28, 2002.
Edward A. Seelaus WEv’56, Blue Bell, Pa., Aug. 21.
Frederick A. Tough Jr. WG’56, Mentor, Ohio, a certified public accountant; June 2, 2003.
Edward K. Willis WG’56, Colonial Heights, Va., Oct. 30, 2005.
back to top
1957 | G. Newton Funderburg W’57, Gladwyne, Pa., founder of the Philadelphia real-estate firm that is now Urban & Bye Realtor; Aug. 16. He and his wife, Lois Bye Funderburg CW’48, worked to establish the area he designated University City, encouraging Penn faculty and staff and others to move into what they considered a “unique and historic Philadelphia neighborhood.” At Penn he was a member of the Committee for Minority Permanence, now called the James Brister Society since 1998. From 1986 to 1996 the Funderburg Information Center on Walnut Street was established as a central location to introduce visitors to Penn’s campus. He contributed to neighborhood causes and served on many local committees and boards.
Dr. Gordon E. Levenson C’57 Gr’60 D’64, Ardmore, Pa., emeritus associate professor of anatomy and cell biology in the School of Dental Medicine; July 9. In 1966 he received a fellowship from the National Cancer Institute for advanced training at the Strangeways Research Laboratory in Cambridge, U.K., where he spent two years. He joined the School of Dental Medicine faculty in 1971 and retired in 2005. For 23 years he was director of the anatomy program; first-year students appreciated his unique lecture style and the thoroughness and dedication he brought to his teaching.
James S. Morris GLA’57, Edinburgh, a prominent Scottish architect; Aug. 16. He was the great-grandson of “Old” Tom Morris, the championship golfer. After traveling in Europe on an Andrew Carnegie Scholarship, he worked for the architects Alfred Roth and Philip Bridel in Switzerland. In 1955 he was awarded a Fulbright scholarship to attend the first course of the master’s in landscape architecture at Penn, under Professor Ian McHarg. While at Penn he also studied with Philip Johnson and Louis Kahn Ar’24 Hon’71, who remained a friend and was influenced by Morris’ exposition on Scottish castles when Kahn visited him in Scotland with Buckminster Fuller (as discussed in the film about Kahn, My Architect). He worked for Vincent G. Kling Architects in Philadelphia. His fountain design for Philip Johnson’s Plaza for the Seagram Building in New York was actually built on the plaza of the State Office Building on North Broad Street in Philadelphia. In 1955, with the help of his father, who was a chief architect at the Scottish office, James Morris and his partner, Robert R. Steedman GLA’57, built Tomlinson House in Edinburgh, reputedly one of the first modern houses in Scotland. He then set up the firm of Morris and Steedman, Architects and Landscape Architects. The 15 private houses they built between 1955 and 1975 included his own, the celebrated glass house near Humbie, East Lothian. Historic Scotland is currently producing a thematic study of Morris and Steedman avant-garde houses. In 1965 he designed the Nurses Unit at Princess Margaret Rose Hospital, Edinburgh, which became the Building of the Year in Scotland in 1966. He was awarded the British Steel Award for the Wolfson Institute in Glasgow in 1971. For the Countryside Commission and Interpretation Center, Battleby, Perth, he received the Royal Institute of British Architects Award, 1974; the RIBA Award for Scotland, 1975; and the Civic Trust Heritage Year Award, 1975. He designed the Edinburgh University Student Center complex, 1974-76. He continued in the architectural practice for 50 years, until 2005. For his final project, a house in Edinburgh, he collaborated with his son Houston Morris; it was included in last year’s summer exhibition at the Royal Academy. His numerous honors include 10 Civic Trust awards (1972-1990), two Geraldine Scott Design awards, and the Gordon District Council Award (1995). He received the Premier Award for European Architecture Heritage in 1975 for his concealment of the British Petroleum installations in a hillside at Dalmaney Tank Farm in West Lothian. James Morris was vice chair of the Scottish Arts Council, 1976-80. He was a trustee of the National Museum of Antiquities and a founding member of the board of Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh (1961-70). He served on the councils of the Edinburgh Architectural Association and the Royal Institute of Architects in Scotland, 1969-71. He was convenor of the fellowship commission of the RIAS, 1982-87, for which he designed and established the Fellowship Medal. He was a first lieutenant in the Royal Engineers, 1958-59. His wife is Dr. Eleanor Smith Morris GCP’59 and one of his sons is James M. Morris W’85.
back to top
Dr. Francis A. Lovecchio M’58 GM’66, East Stroudsburg, Pa., an orthopedist who served on the staff of Pocono Medical Center from 1966 until his retirement in 2001; May 16. He was chief of staff (1975-78) and chief of orthopedic surgery (1997-2001). He was president of the Orthopedic Society in 1981 and served on the board of counselors for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery, 1982-85. He was also a board member of Pennsylvania Medical Liability Insurance Co.
Col. Jane Oliver Nu’58, Philadelphia, a retired colonel in the U.S. Air Force; July 19.
back to top
William A. Kleiner GFA’59, Sussex, N.J., Aug. 2005.
back to top
Elizabeth V. Winpenny GEd’60, Norristown, Pa., March 4, 2006.
back to top
John A. Mark WG’61, West Bloomfield, Mich., July 4.
John E. Rafferty GME’61, Yeadon, Pa., an engineer at the Philadelphia Navy Yard for 35 years; Aug. 18.
Dr. George Spatz Jr. V’61, East Hanover, N.J., June 20.
back to top
Dr. Steven Y. Toth GM’62, Chagrin Falls, Ohio, April 26, 2006.
back to top
Carol Schanely Cahn CW’63, Philadelphia, Jan. 10, 2006.
Richard L. Fisher C’63 G’67, New York, senior partner at Fisher Brothers, his family’s real-estate development firm; Aug. 5. At Penn he was executive editor of The Daily Pennsylvanian and a member of Zeta Beta Tau fraternity, the John Marshall Society, and the Pre-Law Society. While still a student he worked as a reporter for The Evening and Sunday Bulletin, as a drama critic for a local radio station, and for Philadelphia magazine. After teaching poetry and prose at Penn for two years, he received a Schubert Playwriting Fellowship, wrote a full-length comedy for the stage, and was made a critic-fellow at the Eugene O’Neill Memorial Foundation in Waterford, Conn. He taught briefly at Drexel University before becoming managing editor of the underground paper The Drummer and publisher of The Collegiate Guide. At Fisher Brothers, which was founded in the 1920s by his father and uncles, he led the firm’s financial and asset-management operations, helping the company broker deals that included the acquisition of a nine-acre parcel south of the United Nations and the expansion of the Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, according to The New York Times. Richard Fisher became an overseer of Penn’s School of Arts and Sciences in 1989, serving for 11 years, and in 1991 he began two terms as a trustee, serving on both the budget and finance and student-life committees. Prominent in the setting up of The Penn Club of New York, he focussed on the search for and purchase of its building. An active member of its board of governors, he served as vice president until 1995. He contributed to the recent School of Arts and Sciences campaign to renovate Bennett Hall, which was renamed Fisher-Bennett Hall in 2004. At that time he noted, “Bennett Hall was my home at Penn. It was in this building that I learned about myself and the world.” He also established the Richard L. Fisher Professorship in English, among other gifts to the University. He was an adjunct professor at the Stern School of Business at New York University. Richard Fisher was also a trustee of his high school, the Horace Mann School. A trustee of Lincoln Center, he helped establish and was a sponsor of its American Songbook series. He was a founding member of the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, which helps the families of American soldiers killed in the line of duty; he helped raise $44 million in nine months for a physical-rehabilitation center for wounded veterans. He was a board member and benefactor of the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum and the Animal Medical Center in Manhattan.
Dr. Deborah Rubin Labovitz OT’63 Gr’79, Philadelphia, former professor of occupational therapy at New York University; July 14. Her husband is Judah I. Labovitz C’60 L’63.
back to top
Richard F. Jacobs W’66, Indianapolis, July 20. At Penn he was a member of Zeta Beta Tau fraternity. He spent his entire career in the printing industry: for the first 12 years as the co-owner of Success Printing Co. and the next 27 years as a manufacturer’s representative. In 1979 he co-founded S. R. Jacobs and Associates with his brother Stephen, and in 1997 founded Richard Jacobs and Co. He served on the board of the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation and was a former board member and campaign chair of the Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis. An avid crossword-puzzle enthusiast, he recently created a puzzle that was published in The New York Times. His son is David S. Jacobs C’90.
back to top
back to top
Henry J. Meyer G’68, Philadelphia, a high-school teacher in the city for 26 years; Aug. 16. Born in Poland, he taught school for five years in Berlin; but in 1938, after Kristallnacht, he fled with his father to Shanghai, where he taught physical education in British schools there. Having moved to Philadelphia in 1948, he began teaching foreign languages at William Penn High School in 1951. In 1957 he moved to Olney High, where he taught for 20 years, before retiring in 1977.
Edward M. Zolla III W’68, Santa Monica, Calif., Sept. 2. At Penn he was a member of Zeta Beta Tau fraternity and men’s varsity rowing. He was an interviewer for the University’s local secondary-school committee. One of his daughters is Alissa Zolla Bartle C’97.
back to top
1969 | Chris K. Iijima C’69, Honolulu, an associate professor at the William S. Richardson School of Law at the University of Hawaii-Manoa; Dec. 31, 2005. A musician and social activist, he was a member during the 1970s of the trio Yellow Pearl, which toured the country singing about Asian-American identity, while speaking to the struggles of other minorities; the trio appeared on The Mike Douglas Show with John Lennon and Yoko Ono in 1972. In 1973 they recorded the album Grain of Sand: Music for the Struggle by Asians in America, which has been reissued as a CD by the Smithsonian Institution. He had worked for the law firm of Friedman & Kaplan. He was a faculty member of New York University, and then of the Western New England Law School. He joined the University of Hawaii-Manoa in 1998 and became associate professor in 2001.
back to top
1970 | Dr. Keith DeVries Gr’70, Philadelphia, associate curator emeritus of the Mediterranean section of the Penn Museum, and associate professor emeritus of Classical studies; July 16. At Penn he worked with Rodney S. Young, the renowned discoverer of King Midas’ Phrygian capital at Gordion in central Turkey. He began teaching as an instructor in 1969. In 1971 he became assistant professor and two years later was promoted to associate professor. He retired from teaching in 2004 but continued his research, maintaining an office at Penn. “Dr. DeVries taught a broad range of courses in Greek archaeology from the Bronze Age through the Classical period,” said Dr. Ann Blair Brownlee, senior research scientist of the Mediterranean section. “Generations of students in Classical archaeology knew him as a devoted and generous teacher and adviser.” His scholarly interest in ancient Greek pottery, especially Corinthian Geometric, led him to the recent re-dating of the Gordion sequence, a chronological adjustment for the Greek colonization in the central Mediterranean. (Previously King Midas was thought to be buried in Gordion; that tomb is now believed to be that of an earlier ruler, possibly Midas’s father, Gordias.) Dr. DeVries published several works on Greek pottery and the collection of pottery found at Gordion. A staff member of that excavation for 30 years, he served as its director from 1977 to 1987. He also served as co-director of the Penn Museum’s Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum project and he was a consultant on its new Greek Gallery. He was writing a book, Homosexuality and the Athenian Democracy, at the time of his death. He was a former member of the New York National Guard.
back to top
Leonard F. Schulz WG’71, North Palm Beach, Fla., July 5. He had been employed by the Lake Worth police department and served 38 years with the Palm Beach county sheriff’s department, retiring as a risk manager in 1999. He had been a professor of criminal justice at Harrisburg Area Community College.
back to top
1972 | Dr. Hans Herlinger GM’72, Haverford, Pa., professor emeritus of radiology; Aug. 4. A native of Austria, he fled to Italy in 1938 to escape the Nazis. While a medical student, he practiced medicine without a degree in East Africa from 1938 to 1942, before being arrested by the British, according to his son John. Following World War II he studied pediatrics and tropical medicine. During the 1950s he practiced medicine in South America and the U.K.; he served as head of radiology at St. James University Hospital in Leeds during the 1960s and 1970s. He first came to Penn as a visiting scholar in the department of radiology in 1976. In 1978 he “developed a technique called enteroclysisa method of getting radiological details of the small bowel to detect abnormalities,” according to Dr. Igor Laufer, professor of radiology. Dr. Herlinger was promoted to professor of radiology in 1981 and became emeritus in 1985. He retired from Penn in 2003. He is the author of the textbook Clinical Radiology of the Small Intestine. In 1990 he was given an honorary medical degree from the University of Graz in Austria. He received the Canon Medal from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in 1996.
back to top
1973 | Dr. Arnold Chait GM’73, Narberth, Pa., former clinical professor of radiology; Sept. 12. He began teaching at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in 1962 before joining Penn’s faculty in 1967 as an assistant professor of radiology. He became associate professor in 1970 and professor four years later. He was appointed clinical professor in 1976, while he also practiced at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. He practiced at Graduate Hospital, beginning in 1976, and served as its chair of radiology. In 1972 he was one of the 50 founding members of the Society of Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiologists, which was formed by the first doctors to perform angioplasty. He retired from Graduate in 1999, having left Penn in 1997. In retirement he returned to the University to study history. His daughters are Joan Chait GCP’80, Andrea T. Chait C’90, and Caroline Chait Berens C’97.
Dr. Truman G. Daughtridge GM’73, Rocky Mount, N.C., Aug. 6, 2003.
back to top
back to top
Dr. Victor Patin C’77 M’86, Hamden, Conn., July 12.
back to top
back to top
back to top
1981 | Emily Chapman Wood CGS’81, Haverford, Pa., a retired career counselor; July 7. Earlier she was the founding president of Livingston County Health Center in Geneseo, N.Y. She served on the board of Youth Service, Inc., a Philadelphia social agency for at-risk children. An avid equestrienne, she was a regional organizer for the United States Pony Club and was an officer for a fox-hunting club.
back to top
back to top
back to top
1989 | Michael W. Young C’89, Pennsauken, N.J., a founder, director, and premier actor in the Philadelphia chapter of the national comedy group ComedySportz; July 18. At Penn he performed in Mask & Wig and Without a Net. He then worked for Channel 57. He helped found Philadelphia’s ComedySportz in 1990. It subsequently became the longest running improv-comedy show in the city and received a special-recognition award at the 2006 Barrymore Awards. In 1991 he became a graphic designer for Disc Makers, which produces CDs and graphics for independent-music artists; he later became director of graphic services. He was also a writer and performer in the sketch comedy troupe Bad Hair, which grew out of ComedySportz in 2002. He continued to perform and coach other comedians until becoming ill in 2006.
back to top
back to top
back to top
1996 | Jessica J. Yen W’96, New York, the special-events coordinator for GQ magazine; Aug. 6. At Penn she was a member of Chi Omega sorority. She began her career at a marketing firm in Philadelphia. She went on to become the first general manager of Rittenhouse Row, a non-profit marketing organization, where she launched the ongoing Rittenhouse Square Spring Festival. After moving to New York she worked for Condé Nast Bridal Group, producing events such as Wedding March on Madison. While at GQ she initiated the GQ Lounge at the Palms in Las Vegas.
back to top
1999 | Robert E. Wone L’99, Oakton, Va., general counsel at Radio Free Asia, in Washington; Aug. 3. At Penn he was a member of the Asian Pacific American Law Students Association and volunteered with the Civil Practice Clinic. And he was senior editor of the Journal of Labor and Employment Law. For six years he had been an associate at the Washington law firm of Covington & Burling. He did pro bono work while there and volunteered at the Latin American Youth Center. He was volunteer general counsel of the Organization of Chinese Americans and the Museum of Chinese in the Americas. For the past four years he was a member of the Virginia Commission for National Community Service. In 1996 he received, at his graduation from the College of William and Mary, the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award, presented to a student excelling in “characteristics of heart, mind, and helpfulness to others.” He was president-elect of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Washington.
back to top
back to top
Dr. Frederic D. Burg, Huntville, Ala., emeritus professor of pediatrics; Sept. 1. Before coming to Penn he served on the faculty at the University of Cincinnati and Northwestern University, and was associate director of the National Board of Medical Examiners. He joined Penn’s School of Medicine as an assistant clinical professor of pediatrics in 1974. A year later he became adjunct associate professor of pediatrics and in 1982 professor of pediatrics at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. He also served as associate dean for academic programs at Penn, 1980-89, and then became vice dean for education. He was a senior fellow with the Institute for Research on Higher Education and a faculty associate of the Center for Bioethics. He left Penn in 1995 to serve as associate dean for the University of Alabama, a position he held until 2004. His daughter is Kathryn L. Burg Nu’95 GNu’98 and his sons are Benjamin J. Burg C’90 GEd’91, David Brock Burg CGS’93, and Paul J. Burg C’98.
Dr. Keith DeVries. See Class of 1970.
Dr. Robert A. Gould M’49 GM’53. See Class of 1949.
Dr. Gertrude S. Henle, Newtown Square, Pa., professor emeritus of virology in pediatrics at the School of Medicine; Sept. 1. She and her husband, Dr. Werner Henle, came to Penn after emigrating from Germany in the late 1930s. They joined the microbiology department and undertook virus research at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where they collaborated on groundbreaking research from 1941 to 1987. The National Library of Medicine, part of the National Institutes of Health, called the Henles “a prodigious force in virology, immunology, and viral oncology during the second half of the 20th century.” In 1943 they demonstrated the effectiveness of an influenza vaccine. They also developed a diagnostic test for mumps and collaborated with Dr. Joseph Stokes Jr. in using gamma globulin to combat infectious hepatitis. Their work on viral infections laid the groundwork for scientists to later discover interferon. The Henles were also notable for studying Epstein-Barr virus, first demonstrating that the virus was linked to mononucleosis and later showing that the virus contributed to two types of cancer. Dr. Gertrude Henle became instructor in bacteriology in 1941, assistant professor of virology in 1951, and professor in 1965. She retired from the faculty in 1982 but continued to conduct research at CHOP until 1987. “She was one of the greatest mentors I ever had,” said Dr. Jay A. Levy, one of the first discoverers of HIV, who studied under the Henles. With her husband she received many honors, including the Bristol-Myers Award for Distinguished Achievement in Cancer Research, the E. Mead Johnson Award for research in pediatrics, 1950; the Robert Koch Medaille (from the German government), 1971; the National Cancer Institute’s Virus Cancer Program Award, 1975; and the Gold Medal of The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, 1983.
Dr. Hans Herlinger. See Class of 1972.
Dr. Robert Kaye, Philadelphia, emeritus professor of pediatrics; July 14. He came to Penn in 1948 as an instructor in pediatrics. He was appointed assistant professor of pediatrics in 1951, associate professor in 1956, professor in 1964, and emeritus professor in 1986. He also held hospital and administrative positions at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia from 1965 to 1973, where he served as deputy physician-in-chief. Dr. Kaye then joined the faculty at Hahnemann University Hospital and later the old Medical College of Pennsylvania. He was part of the first group of faculty members to receive the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching at Penn in 1962. He also received the Award of the League of CHOP.
Dr. Gordon E. Levenson. See Class of 1957.
Dr. Tom M. Limoli C’46 D’48. See Class of 1946.
Harold E. Manley. See Class of 1943.
Dr. Almarin Phillips. See Class of 1948.
Dr. Philip Rieff, Philadelphia, the Benjamin Franklin Professor Emeritus of Sociology; July 1. Before coming to Penn he had taught at the University of Chicago (his alma mater) and Brandeis University. He was a Fellow of the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences at the University of California at Berkeley, 1957-58. Dr. Rieff was appointed professor of sociology at Penn in 1961 and then University Professor of Sociology in 1965. He became the Benjamin Franklin University Professor of Sociology in 1967 and obtained emeritus status in 1993. He received the Lindback Award for excellence in teaching in 1982. “Besides his dandy suits and homburg hats, Dr. Rieff was famed for his dazzling, almost Talmudic close readings of texts from Kafka and Paul Klee to TV commercials,” said Tirdad Derakhshani C’92 in The Philadelphia Inquirer. A noted sociologist, he gained prominence with his first two books, Freud: The Mind of the Moralist (1959) and The Triumph of the Therapeutic: Uses of Faith after Freud (1966). In 1973 he published Fellow Teachers: Of Culture and Its Second Death. He served as the editor of the 10-volume Collected Papers of Sigmund Freud. His most recent book, published by the University of Virginia Press in 2006, was My Life Among the Deathworks, the first volume of a trilogy, Sacred Order/Social Order. Two other volumes are forthcoming. In his major works he analyzed and explained cultural change as connected to the workings of authority and the modesinterdictory, remissive, and transgressive, in his terms through which authority manifests in culture. He was a Guggenheim Fellow in 1969 and a visiting fellow at All Souls College at the University of Oxford from 1970 to 1977. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps. His first wife was Susan Sontag, who died in 2004; their son is David Rieff, the journalist and foreign-policy analyst.
James H. Whitmoyer. See Class of 1953.
back to top