Mar|Apr 09 Contents
Gazette Home

 

1930 | Myrtle Herzstein Loewenstern Ed’30, Houston, Feb. 27, 2008.

1933 |
Edmund C. Davis Sr. ME’33, Catonsville, Md., July 29.

1934 |Dr. Schuyler G. Kohl W’34, Brooklyn, N.Y., a retired professor of obstetrics and gynecology at SUNY-Downstate Medical Center; Sept. 14, 2000.

1935 | Florence Day Gibson Ed’35, Hatboro, Pa., Oct. 15.

Madelyn P. Hymerling Ed’35,
Haddonfield, N.J., Sept. 23. A founding member of the Princeton Jewish Center, with her late husband, Leonard M. Hymerling C’34.

Abe Olshansky CE’35,
Aurora, Colo., a retired civil engineer; June 22.

James S. Rothschild W’35,
Maplewood, N.J., the retired chair of M. Rothschild and Company, commodity importers, and a board member of the New York Commodity Exchange; Sept. 14. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in Washington. One of his sons is Hon. James S. Rothschild Jr. C’68, whose wife is Elizabeth Ostrov Rothschild CW’68. Their children are Wendy C. Rothschild Heltzer W’96, Amy C. Rothschild C’98, and David M. Rothschild GrW’10.

Phillip Z. Kirpich CE’35,
Broomall, Pa., Aug. 27. A specialist for the World Bank, he served as chief engineer in water planning and irrigation projects in Greece and South America. During World War II he was a U.S. Army lieutenant in Japan and Korea.
 
1936 | Howard M. Diver W’36, Harwich, Conn., retired president and board chair of Middletown (N.Y.) Savings Bank; Sept. 23. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.

Harry E. Strouse L’36,
Ashland, Pa., June 22.

1937 | G. Richardson Gabell Jr. W’37, New Hope, Pa., retired chief tariff clerk in charge of coal and iron ore for the old Baltimore and Ohio Railroad; Aug. 10.
 
1939 | Dr. David P Ausubel C’39, Port Ewen, N.Y., a retired developmental psychiatrist; July 9. During World War II he was a senior assistant surgeon with the U.S. Public Health Service.

Dr. Lewis Bolnick D’39,
Millville, N.J., he ran his family dentistry business there for many years; Sept. 12. During World War II he served as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps.

Dr. Leonard L. Malamut C’39 M’43,
Philadelphia, July 5.

Dr. George F. Stoll M’39,
Ocean Grove, N.J., a retired physician who had maintained a practice in Belleville; Jan. 31, 2008.
 
1940 | J. Parker Bowden ME’40, Bryn Mawr, Pa., June 3.

Mary Ann Payne Foster Mu’40,
Roanoke, Va., Sept. 18.

Dr. Joseph Sataloff C’40 GrM’52,
Bala Cynwyd, Pa., an otolaryngologist and member of Philadelphia Ear Nose & Throat Associates; Sept. 26. An internationally renowned otologist and surgeon, he had taught at Thomas Jefferson University and Drexel University’s medical school. His work to raise awareness of occupational hearing loss led to the establishment of OSHA legislation. Also an expert on antique jewelry, he wrote Art Nouveau Jewelry (1984). He attended Penn on a Boy Scout scholarship; during his World War II service as a medical officer with the U.S. Third Marine Division in Guam, he formed the Boy Scouts of Guam in his spare time. His son, Dr. Robert T. Sataloff, is an adjunct professor of otolaryngology at Penn.
 
1941 | Dr. Ivan F. Barnes D’41, Peabody, Mass., June 23.

John H. Breck Jr. WG’41,
Longmeadow, Mass., former head of Breck Shampoo; Oct. 1. In the 1950s the iconic “Breck Girl” ad campaign made it the world’s best-selling shampoo. During World War II he served in England with a bomber squadron of the U.S. Air Force.

John L. Frost CE’41,
Audubon, Pa., Sept. 29.

John B. Kennedy WEv’41,
Drexel Hill, Pa., retired chief of the audit division of the IRS; Sept. 24. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army in Italy and the Pacific.

Dr. John K. Shrader V’41,
Latrobe, Pa., retired owner of a veterinary hospital in North Huntingdon; Oct. 16. During World War II he served as a major in the U.S. Army Veterinary Corps.

Howard L. Silver W’41,
Marco Island, Fla., retired executive with Fechheimer Bros. Co., where he was in charge of postal uniforms; Aug. 2. He had served in the U.S. Army’s Quartermaster Corps during and after World War II.

Irving C. Spiers W’41,
Meadville, Pa., retired director of personnel at Talon Corp.; July 13.

Dr. Ralph M. Weaver C’41 M’44,
Butler, Pa., a retired pathologist; Oct. 25. He established and funded the Dr. Ralph and Sallie Weaver Professorship in Research Medicine. During World War II he was a medical officer with the U.S. Army’s First Infantry Division in Europe.

1942 | John R. Breckenridge ChE’42, Wayland, Mass., a retired research physicist for the U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine; Sept. 17. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.

Ferdinand H. Brewer Jr. W’42,
Maplewood, N.J., former vice president of Morgan Guaranty Trust and then First Fidelity Bank of Newark; June 3. At Penn he was a member of Beta Gamma Sigma, an honorary business fraternity, and received the Joseph Wharton Medal for proficiency in research. He was a member of the Penn Club and the Ben Franklin Society. He worked at Morgan Guaranty until mandatory retirement in 1982, then joined First Fidelity. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Finance Corps, attaining the rank of captain. His son is F. Holcomb Brewer III C’69, whose wife is Pamela Peters Brewer CW’70.

Harold M. Futransky W’42,
Wilmette, Ill., April 4, 2007.

Elizabeth M. Bennett Hain CW’42,
Gwynedd, Pa., Sept. 26.

Albert E. Holl Jr. L’42,
West Chester, Pa., a retired attorney with the Media law firm of Fronefield & deFuria; May 16. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps in the South Pacific.

Marjorie Weiner Lodge Ed’42,
Philadelphia, Oct. 19.

Robert L. Sandberg W’42,
Akron, Ohio, former owner of Waldorf Ice Cream; Sept. 10. During World War II he served as a captain in the U.S. Army.

Mary F. Manley Settle CW’42,
Elkins Park, Pa., Oct. 19.

Craig M. Sharpe L’42,
Lafayette Hill, Pa., an attorney who had practiced in Philadelphia for almost 60 years; Sept. 18.
 
1943 | Dr. Clayton I. Blum V’43, Fredericksburg, Va., a retired veterinarian; Oct. 8.

Elisabeth Collinson Booth Ed’43,
Gladwyne, Pa., a former teacher; Oct. 3.

Dr. Robert B. Chodos M’43,
Saratoga Springs, N.Y., a retired head of nuclear medicine at Albany Medical Center; Sept. 29. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II.

Thomas A. Collier Jr. ME’43,
Oxford, Md., the retired head of a company that sold dust-control systems; Aug. 14. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.

H. Allan Crowther W’43,
Orange City, Fla., a retired manufacturer’s representative; Sept. 16. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II.

Dr. Harry B. O’Rear M’43,
Waynesville, N.C., retired vice chancellor of health affairs for the University of Georgia; Oct. 30. A pediatrician, he was president of the Medical College of Georgia (1960-72). During World War II he was a U.S. Army medical officer in the Philippines.

M. Morris Rosenthal C’43,
Ocean, N.J., the retired head of Reliable, Inc., in Reading, Pa.; March 16, 2008.

C. Crandall Shaffer Jr. W’43,
Dublin, Ohio, a retired portfolio manager for Nationwide Insurance; April 25, 2008. At Penn he was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in Europe.

Lenore Manley Towne Ed’43 GEd’44,
Richmond, Va., Jan. 11, 2007.

Gertrude Moon Weaver GEd’43,
Chester, Pa., a retired reading supervisor at local elementary schools; Nov. 9. During World War II she served active duty in the U.S. Marine Corps Women’s Reserves.

1944 | Dr. John L. Cionci C’44, Fort Washington, Pa., a retired Philadelphia osteopath; Nov. 7.

James B. Fox W’44,
Darien, Conn., retired vice president of community relations and development for Stamford Hospital; Sept. 25. He was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity. In World War II and the Korean War he served in the U.S. Navy.

John T. McCartney W’44 L’49,
Haverford, Pa., Nov. 4.

Dr. Morgan T. Milford M’44,
Greenville, S.C., a retired surgeon; Nov. 28, 2004.

James K. Patrick Jr. W’44,
Leesburg, Fla., a retired president of Keybank, N.A., in Troy, N.Y.; Oct. 5. In World War II he served in the U.S. Army; in the Normandy invasion, he was awarded a Silver Star and Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts.

Norman F. Sapsis W’44,
Lansdowne, Pa., Aug. 22. He retired from the U.S. Postal Service after a 40-year career. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.

1945 | Mary L. Honsberger Babett NTS’45, Wilmington, Del., a retired nurse who had worked at HUP; Oct. 25.

Bernard B. Bycer EE’45 GEE’59,
Huntingdon Valley, Pa., July 7.
 
1947 | Dr. Ralph S. Aucker V’47, Elizabethville, Pa., a veterinarian who had maintained a practice for over 60 years; Aug. 7.

Dr. F. Earl Fyke Jr. M’47,
Jackson, Miss., a retired medical director of Medical Assurance Co. of Mississippi; Sept. 21. During the Korean War he served as a U.S. Army medical officer in Korea.

James E. Loveland WG’47,
Wichita, Kan., a broker with J. P. Weigand & Sons Real Estate for more than 37 years; June 16. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army’s Third Infantry Division.

Dr. Horace B. Mooney M’47,
Ukiah, Calif., a retired psychiatrist who had maintained a practice in Redondo Beach; July 29. He served as a physician with the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War.

Dr. Erwin A. Schilling GM’47,
Roscoe, Ill., a retired anesthesiologist; Aug. 13.

Dr. James S. Skinner D’47 GD’48,
Lafayette Hill, Pa., a retired oral surgeon who had maintained a practice in Ardmore; Oct. 28. He also served on the staffs of Haverford Community and the old Presbyterian hospitals.

Humberto Zayas-Chardon V’47,
Ponce, P.R., founder of Ponce Animal Hospital, which he operated from 1956 until his retirement in 1991; Nov. 30, 2007. A former city-assembly member, he was twice elected (1984 and 1988) to the House of Representatives of the Puerto Rican legislature, where he served as president of the agricultural committee and promoted the establishment of the Colegio de Medicos Veterinarios de Puerto Rico. One of his sons is Dr. Hector J. Zayas V’92, who with his wife, Patricia, operates the hospital. A nephew is Dr. Francisco R. Zayas-Seijo V’75.

1948 |
James J. Hagan III W’48, Haverford, Pa., Nov. 30, 2007.

Dr. Paul Harrison Sr. C’48 M’52 GM’59,
Haverford, Pa., a retired cardiovascular surgeon and devoted supporter of the University; Sept. 29. He was a former chief of staff of Burlington County Memorial Hospital (now Virtua Memorial Hospital) in Mount Holly, N.J., which he had served from 1958 until his retirement in 1984. At Penn he played Junior Davis Cup tennis and was a member of the men’s soccer team. For over 30 years he was an avid fundraiser for the Penn Medical School and a committed supporter of the University’s football, soccer, and crew teams. Having attended the U.S. Naval Academy as part of the federal V-12 program, he was one of the “Quaker Sailors” who served in the Pacific during World War II. Dr. Paul Harrison Sr. was the son of Carol Rogers Sensensig Harrison Ed’1921 and Earl G. Harrison, a former dean of Penn’s Law School. His Penn family includes daughters Diana Harrison Comber CW’71 and Susan Harrison Reid C’85, son Paul Harrison Jr. C’77 GEd’78, daughter-in-law Susan M. Christian C’79, and granddaughter Rachel Chizkov C’11.

Robert J. LeFort Sr. W’48,
Stuart, Fla., former CEO of Interspace, Inc., of Philadelphia, one of the larger commercial-design firms in the country, which he co-founded in 1972; Oct. 10. Its projects included the Hart Senate Office Building in Washington, Chrysler’s world headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich., and the Arco building in Philadelphia, one of the first open-office plans. In 1987 he sold the company, which by then had nine regional offices, to PHH Group. At Penn he was a member of the varsity rowing and sailing teams (he later coached the latter), and Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. Known as “Jack,” he was founder and president of the Penn Football Club. According to his family, he may have held the record for attending the most Quaker home games. The University named its football offices after him in 2006. A world-class, award-winning sailor, Jack LeFort founded the U.S. Sailing Center of Marin County in Stuart; he was president for many years before becoming chair emeritus. Under his guidance it became one of two Olympic training sites in the U.S. During World War II he served in the U.S. Merchant Marine on troop ships in the Atlantic. His son is Robert J. LeFort Jr. C’76, whose wife is Elisabeth A. LeFort C’76 GEd’87; their sons are Bryce A. LeFort C’09 and Alexander C. LeFort C’10.

John J. O’Connor WG’48,
Loudonville, N.Y., a retired vice president and manager of Merrill Lynch; Aug. 27, 2006. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.

Gordon O. Perkins GEE’48,
Murfreesboro, Tenn., a retired electrical engineer with Square-D Company in Smyrna; Sept. 7. With the U.S. Navy at Norfolk, Va., during World War II, he demagnetized convoy ships headed for Europe.

Jean M. Reidnour Ed’48 GEd’52,
West Chester, Pa., retired vice president for nursing affairs at Chester County Hospital; Sept. 23. During World War II she was a captain in the U.S. Army Nurses Corps, serving in Africa and Europe.

Alfred Stapler EE’48,
Willow Grove, Pa., July 27.

Dr. Charles A. Thomas Jr. C’48 Gr’55,
Pensacola, Fla., a retired psychologist; Aug. 21. A former assistant chief of the U.S. Medical Service Corps, during World War II he served in the Royal Canadian Air Force and the U.S. Army Air Corps. He received the Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal, and Purple Heart.

James J. Walsh L’48
Wilmington, Del., a retired attorney; July 16, 2006. During World War II he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Army, serving in the Rhineland and Remagen Bridgehead campaigns in Europe.
 
1949 | Robert B. Archibald ME’49, Wyomissing, Pa., a retired mechanical engineer who had worked for Gilbert Associates in Reading; Oct. 28. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army Air Corps.

Philip M. Cordell Jr. WG’49,
Houston, a retired businessman, who had been police commissioner of Hedwig Village for 18 years; Oct. 28. During World War II he was a captain in the 808th Field Artillery Battalion, serving in the Normandy invasion and the Battle of the Bulge.

Robert M. Gary WG’49,
Bedford, Mass., a retired investment counselor; Oct. 10. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in Europe.

Dr. Stanley E. Goodman G’49,
Westport, Conn., a retired surgeon; Oct. 15. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.

Dr. Vernon A. Vix M’49,
Nashville, Tenn., a retired professor of radiology at Indiana University; Sept. 26. He was also a faculty member at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. During the Korean War he served as a U.S. Air Force medical officer in Alaska.
 
1950 | Thomas M. Hartley W’50, Rye, Mass., a retired executive with Union Carbide; July 22. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army Air Corps in the Philippines.

Dr. James H. Mason IV GM’50,
Ventnor, N.J., May 18.

1951 | Dr. Edward U. Austin GD’51, San Antonio, an oral surgeon who had practiced in Charlotte, N.C.; Oct. 7. During the Korean War he served in the U.S. Naval Reserves, retiring as a rear admiral.

William W. Dickhart III GME’51,
Audubon, Pa., a retired general manager of the technical center of Budd Co.; Oct. 30. He retired from the U.S. Navy Reserve as a commander in the 1970s.

William C. Diesinger Jr. CCC’51,
Wayne, Pa., a retired graphic designer who had created the logo for Lord & Taylor; Nov. 2.

Kristin Hunter Lattany Ed’51,
Magnolia, N.J., senior lecturer in English at Penn from 1972 to 1995; Nov. 14. Previously she had worked as an elementary-school teacher, advertising copywriter, television scriptwriter, and a public information officer for Philadelphia. Her literature classes, and her office, were havens for African American students. She wrote 11 novels for children and adults, including God Bless the Child; Kinfolks; Do Unto Others; and Breaking Away. The Landlord, was made into a film (1970). Guests in the Promised Land, a short-story collection, was nominated for a National Book Award. Her first children’s novel, The Soul Brother and Sister Lou, received the National Council on Interracial Books for Children Award in 1968. Kristin Lattany received the Moonstone Black Writing Celebration Lifetime Achievement Award in 1996.

Homer M. Ostien WEv’51,
Media, Pa., Sept. 17.

Mildred E. Lawrence Robbins Ed’51,
Bridgeton, N.J., Feb. 21, 2008.

Stephen A. Ruskin W’51,
Waterbury, Conn., a partner at the law firm of Moynahan & Ruskin; Sept. 15. During the Korean War he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force.

Margaret Schilling Schroth GEd’51,
Ardmore, Pa., a retired reading-disabilities specialist at Agnes Irwin School; Sept. 25.

Robert S. Trigg L’51,
Lancaster, Pa., June 10.

1952 | Dr. Robert Warren Baker Sr. D’52, Ithaca, N.Y., former senior clinical professor of orthodontics at Eastman Dental Center in Rochester, where he had taught for 50 years; Oct. 20. He served on the overseers board of Penn’s School of Dental Medicine Board for 25 years, and was an associate trustee. He was a member of the Penn Alumni executive committee and had served as a visiting professor at the University. He had received numerous professional honors, including Eastman Dental Center’s Faculty Teaching Award and the School of Dental Medicine’s Alumni Award of Merit. He was a veteran of World War II. His son is Dr. Robert W. Baker Jr. D’85.

Alexander J. Jaffurs W’52,
Monroeville, Pa., an attorney who had served as mayor of Wilkinsburg, 1966-69; Oct. 24. At Penn he was a quarterback on the varsity football team.

Robert L. Lurensky WG’52,
Bethesda, Md., a retired international financial economist with the U.S. Commerce Department; July 4. He had taught at Southeastern University in Washington for 25 years.
 
1953 | Dr. Bruce K. Goodwin C’53, Williamsburg, Va., former chair and professor emeritus of geology at the College of William and Mary; Sept. 5. Earlier in his career he taught at Penn for four years. He helped set up the Virginia Board for Geology.

Albert Kasdin WG’53,
Rochester, N.Y., a retired CPA who was partner at Greenebaum Saiger & Kasdin; Feb. 17, 2008.

Robert O. Spurdle Jr. W’53,
Wayne, Pa., a retired management consultant with the Wrigley Group; Oct. 4. He served in the U.S. Air Force in Japan, 1955-57.

Dr. Anthony A. Vito D’53 GD’66,
Ambler, Pa., emeritus professor in the School of Dental Medicine; Nov. 10. His career at Penn spanned over four decades. After joining the faculty in 1957, he became a professor of periodontics and also served as associate dean of clinical affairs from 1970 to 1980. He retired in 1996 but continued working at Penn. Along with teaching he conducted research, including a study to improve quality in dental clinics. Dr Vito was also an accomplished pianist and organist. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Infantry in Europe, and was awarded two Bronze Stars and a Combat Infantry Badge. Wounded in the Battle of the Bulge, he also received a Purple Heart. Two of his sons are Dr. James A. Vito D’84 GD’87 GD’90 and Dr. Kenneth J. Vito C’87 M’91, whose wife is Dr. Liese L. Vito M’91.
 
1954 | Eugene V. Armao C’54, Springfield, Pa., Sept. 22.

Parks H. Dalton Jr. WG’54,
Charlotte, N.C., the retired chair of Interstates Securities, now Wachovia Securities; May 9, 2004.

Louisa Eaton Gill CW’54,
Malvern, Pa., Sept. 21.

Dr. Richard C. Post V’54,
Kingston, Pa., retired head of the Back Mountain Veterinary Hospital; Aug. 13.

Thomas K. Singer W’54,
Appleton, N.Y., retired president and CEO of Kaiser Aluminum International Corp.; Sept. 30. At Penn he was treasurer of the Mask & Wig Club and a member of Delta Tau Delta fraternity. A lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force, he had served as a procurement officer in Casablanca.

Edward A. Stapleton WEv’54,
Philadelphia, May 31.

Harry W. Van Sciver II W’54,
Burlington, N.J., a retired banker; July 6, 2005. In 1988 he founded Burlington County Bank and served as its president until Trenton Savings Bank acquired it in 1996. He had been president and CEO of First National Bank and Trust Co. of Beverly from 1972 to 1984, after having begun his career there as an assistant cashier in 1958. Two of his sons are Harry B. Van Sciver C’81, whose wife is Margaret G. Van Sciver C’85 W’85, and Chancellor M. Van Sciver W’92.
 
1955 | Dale G. Kober W’55, Reston, Va., a retired Pennsylvania state bank examiner and a former accountant for TV Guide; Oct. 17. He had served in the U.S. Navy.

Evelyn Ay Sempier CW’55,
Malvern, Pa., Miss America 1954, who was the only Miss Pennsylvania to achieve the national title; Oct. 18. She was a junior at Penn when she entered the pageant. Later she did outreach for local hospitals and assisted-living facilities. She responded to criticism in the 1980s of the Miss America pageant: “We do need our little islands of fantasy on our mainland of reality.” Her husband, Carl G. Sempier W’53, died in 2007.
 
1956 | John J. Burns Jr. EE’56, Ardmore, Pa., July 30.

Nancy Hughes Felker CW’56 SW’81,
Chadds Ford, Pa., a retired social worker with Lutheran Children and Family Service in Philadelphia; May 18.

Jack A. Fireoved C’56,
Audubon, Pa., an accountant who had maintained a practice in Lansdale for many years; Oct. 18.

Marie E. McHugh Little Nu’56 GEd’58,
Ardmore, Pa., Oct. 6.

1957 | Dr. William Dorner Jr. GM’57, Akron, Ohio, July 14.

Dr. Paul B. Kenyon Jr. D’57,
North Conway, N.H., a retired dentist; Oct. 9. He had served with the U.S. Army Medical Corps in Germany.

Dr. Ernest J. Pavlock WG’57,
Winchester, Va., professor emeritus of accounting and information systems at Virginia Tech; Aug. 23, 2007. He wrote Financial Management for Medical Groups. He had served in the U.S. Air Force.

Joan A. LaWall Wiemer W’57,
Lecanto, Fla., Oct. 12. She had worked in the finance department of Trumbull, Conn., for many years.

1958 | Dr. Norman I. Agin W’58, Princeton, N.J., retired CEO of a computer-software firm; Feb. 9, 2008. He was appointed to the national board of the American Jewish Committee in 2004; he had also served as president and officer of its central New Jersey chapter.
 
1959 | Dr. H. Pierce Allgood GM’59, Atlanta, a retired orthopedic physician, affiliated with Piedmont and Kennestone hospitals; July 24.

Dr. William F. E. Hanby Jr. M’59,
Huntingdon Valley, Pa., a retired radiologist at Abington Memorial Hospital; Sept. 16. He was a flight surgeon with the U.S. Air Force Strategic Air Command, 1961-63.

Gerard E. Heffernan W’59,
Blue Bell, Pa., Oct. 11.

Dr. Charles G. Hertz M’59 GM’63,
Stamford, Conn., chief medical officer for Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. in New York, 1993-99; Nov. 7. After maintaining a private pediatric practice in West Philadelphia, he served as director of the pediatric-outpatient department at HUP from 1967 to 1971. In 1973 he was appointed medical coordinator of the newly formed Penn urban-health-maintenance program at Graduate Hospital, and served as program director in the 1980s. He later worked for an HMO associated with the Rush University Medical Center in Chicago. Dr. Hertz had been an officer in the U.S. Army. His wife is Dr. Lee Combrinck-Graham M’68 GM’71, and his daughter is Sara A. Hertz C’84. His brother is Robert G. Hertz GEE’51 and his sister is Lois Adler NTS’60.

Dr. Jon S. Loomar C’59 D’62,
Watchung, N.J., an endodontist who had maintained a private practice in Watchung and Chatham, until his retirement in 2006; Aug. 28. His brother is Dr. David A. Loomar C’57 D’60.

Guy A. Martz Jr. WG’59,
Orchard Park, N.Y., May 10, 2007.

Robert J. O’Brien WG’59,
Bainbridge Island, Wash., May 21.

1960 | Joseph E. Craig WEv’60, Springfield, Pa., a former pricing manager for Conrail Corp.; Oct. 4.

Dr. John E. Del Favero V’60,
Windsor Locks, Conn., a retired veterinarian who owned an animal hospital in Springfield, Mass., for 39 years; Oct. 6. He had served in the U.S. Army Veterinary Corps, attaining the rank of major. His wife is Carol Ann B. Del Favero MT’60.

Ferdinand LaMotte IV WG’60,
Rock Hall, Md., Aug. 4.

Dr. Robert M. Rogers M’60 GM’66,
Pittsburgh, Sept. 4.

John H. Stiggard W’60,
Marietta, Ga., July 27.

Martin L. Weil WG’60,
Trumbull, Conn., retired controller of Warner Packaging; July 30.
 
1961 | Leone Bealer Fryer GEd’61, Rutland Vt., a retired public-school teacher in Pennsylvania; Sept. 16.

Marian Goldberg Grosser CW’61,
Bala Cynwyd, Pa., Sept. 30.

Howard H. Mades W’61,
Wellington, Fla., July 3.

Nancy Peters Ryan CW’61,
Quakertown, Pa., program chair for the Class of 1961 and member of the executive board of the Morris Arboretum; Aug. 4. She was an active member of the Class of 1961 Reunion activities and a generous supporter of Penn’s undergraduate-scholarship program. An avid volunteer at the arboretum, she sponsored the new gateway, which was dedicated in April to her late husband, Richard J. Ryan; she donated the sculpture “Two Lines-Variable” in 1993.

1962 | Dr. John G. Guillemont M’62 GM’67, Boston, a retired chief of pathology at Winchester Hospital; July 29.
 
1963 | Richard J. Dunn WG’63, Phoenix, Oct. 1. He had worked at the TWA overhaul base in Kansas City, Mo.
 
1964 | Dr. Alfred K. Ciongoli C’64 GM’74, Burlington, Vt., a neurologist who co-founded Neurological Associates of Vermont and practiced there from 1977 until 2007; Oct. 28. In the mid-1970s he was a research associate in the Penn School of Medicine and the Wistar Institute. From 1975 he was a faculty member at the University of Vermont medical school. He was physician for the U.S. Olympic boxing team in 1976 and a senior medical officer at the Lake Placid Olympics in 1980. A generous supporter of Kelly Writers House at Penn, he established its annual Gay Talese Lecture Series, which featured an annual public performance by an Italian American author; it was sponsored by the National Italian American Foundation, for which he served as board chair. Dr. Ciongoli co-wrote Passage to Liberty (2002), about Italian-American immigration to the U.S. and co-edited Beyond the Godfather, a series of essays by Italian Americans. His wife is Barbara Weintraub Ciongoli CW’67 G’68 and one of his sons is Adam G. Ciongoli C’90.

Doris Rubin Samitz CGS’64,
Philadelphia, Oct. 2. She was a board member of the University Museum’s women’s committee and also served for three decades on the doctors’ wives committee at HUP. Her husband was the late Dr. Morris H. Samitz GM’45, professor of dermatology at Penn and chief of dermatology at Graduate Hospital. Her son is Joel E. Samitz GEd’73.

Bruce E. Stern W’64,
Trumbull, Conn., an attorney who had served as town treasurer for 14 years; July 18, 2007. During the Vietnam War he was a captain in the U.S. Army.

1965 | Gurdon H. Buck L’65, Glastonbury, Conn., retired senior partner of the law firm of Robinson & Cole LLP; May 6. He had served in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Garrett T. Reagan WG’65,
Scituate, Mass., a retired financial adviser; June 17.

Lewis T. Wells SW’65,
North Augusta, S.C., a retired social worker in Philadelphia; Sept. 9.

1966 | Richard A. Collier W’66 WG’67, Moreland Hills, Ohio, a tax specialist who was president of Collier, Sarner & Associates, a Cleveland-based law firm that focussed on financial and legal aspects of medical practices; Oct. 27. At Penn he was a member of Zeta Beta Tau fraternity. He held seminars throughout North America and the Caribbean, and with his son, Brandon S. Collier C’94, published the Collier Sarner Newsletter. He had served on the boards of the Case Western University and the Indiana University dental schools. He has been a trustee of the American Dental Association. Richard Collier was a past chair of the the board of overseers of the Penn Dental School and had served with the Penn secondary-school committee. His brothers-in-law are Dr. Mark P. Diamond C’71 and Jeffrey H. Joseph G’74.

Judith C. Gilliom G’66,
Wheaton, Md., editor of Hearing & Speech Action; Oct. 15.

Alton B. Thoroughgood Jr. C’66,
Jackson, Wyo., Oct. 13.

1967 | Robert I. Ash WG’67, Plymouth, Mass., president of a managing-consulting and executive-search firm; Sept. 15. He had served as a lieutenant on destroyers in the U.S. Navy.

Dr. Bernard R. Cahill GM’67,
Peoria, Ill., an orthopedic surgeon and sports-medicine specialist who founded the Great Plains Sports Medicine Foundation; Sept. 6. He was the team physician at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, N.Y.

Lance E. Eisenberg C’67,
Miami, a retired tax attorney who was a partner in AWE Management and Red Fish Media; Aug. 19. One of his daughters is Dr. Amy Eisenberg Boyers C’93.

Dr. Gerald L. Mayer Gr’67,
Bronx, N.Y., May 1. He had taught Russian studies at Fordham University.

1968 | Dr. Michael J. Dougherty M’68 GM’72, Haverford, Pa., a cardiologist at Lankenau Hospital; Oct. 28. He maintained a private practice in Wynnewood.
 
1969 | Dr. Charles J. Hendricks GME’69, Wappingers Falls, N.Y., May 31.
 
1970 | Dr. Graham L. Campbell Gr’70, Flourtown, Pa., a former research scientist at the Wistar Institute; Oct. 22.

Jerry H. Eure Sr. WG’70,
Trenton, N.J., Nov. 13, 2007. He had retired from the New Jersey state government. One of the famous Tuskegee Airmen, he served as a pilot from 1942 to 1945.

Rev. Charles T. Fahy G’70 Gr’07,
Philadelphia, a professor of English at Holy Family University; Oct. 6. A Benedictine, he had also taught at St. Anselm’s Abbey in Washington 1958-68 and 1972-86.

Jeffery B. Fromm EE’70,
Los Gatos, Calif., retired vice president, deputy general counsel, and director of intellectual property for Hewlett-Packard Co.; Oct. 9. He had joined the firm in 1970 as an engineer.

1972 | Dennis J. Kupchik WG’72, Berlin, N.J., a financial consultant; Sept. 7. He also ran a travel agency with his wife. One of his sons is Christopher R. Kupchik W’04.

Michael M. Weisbrot WG’72,
Osprey, Fla., Sept. 26.

1973 | David C. Shindeldecker WG’73, Houston, head of the Redstone Companies; Oct. 25.

Dr. William R. Turk C’73,
Jacksonville, Fla., chief of pediatric neurology at Nemours Children’s Clinic; Sept. 23, 2007. He was also assistant professor of neurology at the Mayo Clinic and directed its child-neurology training program. He specialized in pediatric epilepsy.

1974 | Wallace M. Gilroy Jr. SW’74, Media, Pa., a retired  social worker for the Tredyffrin-Easttown School District; Oct. 16.

1975 | James J. O’Leary III C’75, Westport, Conn., senior vice president of human resources for Esselte Corp.; Oct. 19. At Penn he had played varsity football and was an All Ivy Selection. He was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

F. Matthew Stenross WG’75,
Rochester, N.Y., Sept. 4. He had retired from Xerox Corp., after 31 years there.

1976 | Bruce J. Magee W’76, Berwyn, Pa., former CFO of Harleysville Insurance; Nov. 15, 2007. He joined the firm from KPMG in 1986. His son is Adam W. Magee EAS’09 and his brother is William J. Magee Jr. W’71. His father was William J. Magee W’37 and an uncle was James T. Magee W’41.

1977 | Dr. Randy L. Abelson Oldreik V’77, Woodbury, N.J., head of the Gloucester County Animal Hospital, which she established in 1985; Oct. 26. She had volunteered at a treatment center in Gonzales, La., for animal victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Marvin R. Kwartler L’77,
Tigard, Ore., a former appellate attorney in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Manhattan; Sept. 2, 2007.

Stuart Weiss W’77,
Arlington, Va., Sept. 2.

1979 | Morna A. Berdit C’79, Columbia, Md., a psychotherapist; Sept. 11.

William K. Dickey CGS’79,
Haddonfield, N.J., an attorney who was speaker of the New Jersey Assembly in 1970; Nov. 3. Elected in 1963, he was majority leader in 1968 and 1969. He later chaired the Delaware River Port Authority.
 
1984 | Mary Ellen Ross GNu’84, Medford, N.J., vice president for health services at the Evergreens Continuing Care Retirement Community; Aug. 9. Earlier she was nursing director at another local retirement community and one in Sacramento, Calif. Her husband is Dr. Stephen M. Akers M’81.
 
1987 | John M. Muserlian WG’87, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., controller of the European division of Hertz Corp.; Dec. 2, 2007.
 
1989 | Dr. Gary Brent Campbell GrEd’89, Lititz, Pa., retired superintendent of the Penn Manor School District; Sept. 14.
 
1990 | Dr. Michelle Lynn Mayer Nu’90, Durham, N.C., research assistant professor in the School of Public Health of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Oct. 11. She specialized in healthcare access for underserved and special-needs children.

1992 | Jill Sisenwine Berger C’92, Doylestown, Pa., a physical therapist who had managed three outpatient facilities of the University of Pennsylvania Health Systems; Oct. 9. She also taught at Temple and Arcadia universities.

1993 | Joseph Maxfield Beck CGS’93, Atlanta, Jan. 12, 2008. Specializing in sleep medicine, he worked in the neurology department at Emory University; he co-wrote a piece published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2007. His wife, Tamara Lynn Besarab Beck C’93, noted that “Max is best remembered for his tireless advocacy on behalf of individuals who, like him, were born intersex.” His life story was featured in Newsweek and on CNN, PBS, Discovery Channel, and HBO. At Penn he was known as Judy Beck.

1995 | Dorcas A. Casey C’95, West Chester, Pa., vice president of product strategy and development for IAC Consumer Applications & Portals; July 4. She created and developed Zwinky, a teen Internet virtual world, and Webfetti, an online program for social-networking pages and blogs. Fluent in Japanese, she was an interpreter for the 1998 Olympics in Nagano.

1997 | John P. Bishop W’97, Berryville, Ark., Sept. 24. He had worked as a derivatives trader for investment banks in New York.
 
2003 | Masashi Katsuura WG’03 G’04, Tokyo, Sept. 15.

Alexis A. Smith WEv’03,
Riegelsville, Pa., a medical writer; Oct. 17. She had been a ski instructor in Wyoming and twice had completed the Marine Corps Marathon.
 
Faculty and Staff

Jill Sisenwine Berger. See Class of 1992.
Dr. Graham L. Campbell. See Class of 1970.
Dr. Alfred K. Ciongoli. See Class of 1964.
Dr. J. Ellis Croshaw, Parksville, Ky., professor of anatomy at the School of Veterinary Medicine from 1954 to 1966; April 25, 2008. After leaving Penn he became professor of animal science at Delaware Valley College. In 1975 he and his wife, Carolyn Storck Croshaw V’66, moved to Boyle County, Ky., where they shared a veterinary practice. He bred Guernsey cattle.
Dr. Bruce K. Goodwin. See Class of 1953.
Dr. Charles G. Hertz. See Class of 1959.
Dr. Ellen Lucile Kohler, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a research associate in the Mediterranean section of the Penn Museum from 1968 until her death at 91, and a long-time member of its excavation at Turkey; Nov. 3. An Anatolian and Classical archaeologist, she was one of the first members of the Gordion project; she devoted nearly 60 years to it; her important research was of the burial mounds near Gordion. She also taught Mediterranean archaeology and took part in other excavations. From 1965 to 1977 she was the museum registrar. Dr. Kohler also served as editor of publications for the Museum.
Kristin Hunter Lattany. See Class of 1951.
Dr. Ezekiel Es’kia Mphahlele, Limpopo, South Africa, former professor of English at Penn from 1974 to 1977; Oct. 27. He had been in exile from South Africa since 1957; returning in 1977, he later became the first black professor at the University of Witwatersrand and founded its African-literature department. He returned to Penn in 1982 to deliver the baccalaureate address and to accept an honorary degree. In 1999 he received the National Silver Award of the Southern Cross, from Nelson Mandela. Dr. Mphahlele’s most-known work is the novel Down Second Avenue (1959), which portrays his early life.
Dr. Anthony A. Vito. See Class of 1953.

 


Profiles : Events : Notes : Obituaries

NOTIFICATIONS

Please send notifications of deaths of alumni directly to: Alumni Records, University of Pennsylvania, 3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
record@ben.dev.upenn.edu

Newspaper obits are appreciated.

 

     
  ©2009 The Pennsylvania Gazette
Last modified 3/10/09