../1198/space%20holder


Previous issue's obituaries | March/April Contents | Gazette home


../1198/Obituaries%20overline

1920s | 1930s | 1940s | 1950s | 1960s

1970s | 1980s | 1990s | Faculty and Staff

 

1920s

Albert J. Schiro, W'26, Bangor, Maine, January 23, 1995.

Horace Fletcher Jr., Ch'27, Ironia, N.J., October 10, 1995. Up to the time of his death, he was president of General Laminating Inc., which he had founded in 1936.

Dr. Andrew Donath, C'28, D'30, Devon, Pa., a retired dentist; October 5, 1997.

Edith D. Geuther, Ed'28, Newtown, Pa., January 24, 1995.

Edwin Herz, C'28, Palm City, Fla.

John J. Dobosh, L'29, Lansford, Pa., a retired attorney; March 8, 1996.

Gertrude Ehrenreich Gouley, Ed'29, G'31, PSW'34, Media, Pa.

Dr. Robert S. Holzman, W'29, Danbury, Conn., January 23, 1998.

Frank Mural, EE'29, GEE'33, Drexel Hill, Pa., September 1997.

Suzanne Harris Sankowsky, Ed'29, G'31, Rydal, Pa., March 19, 1996.

Paul T. Scull Sr., W'29, Charlotte, N.C., December 11, 1997. He had retired in 1972 from the personnel department of Hercules, Inc., after 36 years there. At Penn, he was captain of the football team and named an All-American.

Dorothy E. Williams, B'29, Miami.

 

Back to top

1930s

Miriam Brous Maginniss, Ed'30, Schenectady, N.Y., April 6, 1998. She had worked for the New York City law firm of Larkin, Rathbone & Perry for many years.

Bishop Willard D. Pendleton, W'30, Bryn Athyn, Pa., February 12, 1998. He had served as the executive bishop of the Swedenborgian General Church of the New Jerusalem, and as president and chancellor of the Academy of the New Church.

Milton Richard Grant, WEv'31, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., March 21, 1998.

Dr. David E. Tanenbaum, Ed'31, GrS'59, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., associate dean and professor of social work at the University of Boston; March 26, 1998. He had earlier taught at the University of Illinois.

Dr. Mark W. Allam, V'32, Hon'84, emeritus professor of veterinary surgery and dean of the School of Veterinary Medicine from 1953 to 1973; died on April 28, 1998. He joined the faculty in 1945, teaching aseptic surgery, which he had learned from post-grad studies at Penn; he had adopted it in his own practice in Media and insisted on it in his teaching at Penn: the technique soon spread throughout veterinary medicine. Dr. Allam was the driving force in the establishment of New Bolton Center, the University's large-animal facility in Kennett Square; under his leadership, it developed into one of the leading equine clinics in the nation. His legendary fundraising skills secured contributions from horse breeders and owners for the clinic and research facilities at New Bolton, and he obtained funding for the first endowed professorship at a school of veterinary medicine anywhere. He also applied these skills in Harrisburg, where he was able to secure much-needed support for the school from the state. At the Philadelphia campus, he established the core-elective curriculum, a formalized Ph.D. program, and veterinary medical specialties. After his retirement from the deanship, Dr. Allam served the University as an assistant vice president for health affairs until 1977.
   He was a founding member of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons and served as chair of its board of regents in 1966-67; an annual lecture in his honor has been delivered at the association's annual meeting since 1982. He served as vice president of the American Veterinary Medical Association in 1956 and again on its board, 1963-67. Dr. Allam served on the advisory board of the Bureau of Veterinary Medicine for the FDA. He was the first veterinarian to be made a fellow of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia and in 1983 was appointed an honorary associate of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. He was an emeritus director of the Philadelphia Zoological Society and a past president of the Philadelphia Society for Promoting Agriculture. In 1984 he received Penn's honorary degree at a special convocation for the centennial of the school.
    A familiar figure at the Devon Horse Show and the American Gold Cup, Dr. Allam enjoyed carriage-driving and was until recently a familiar sight at New Bolton, with bowler and driving apron, high on the seat of a carriage. He and his late wife, Lila (who died on March 7, 1998), spent much time and effort in restoring the former manor house at New Bolton, named in their honor.

Leslie G. Carter, W'32, Kingston, Pa., June 23, 1997.

Dr. Bernard B. Eichler, C'32, Verona, N.J., a retired physician; January 21, 1998.

Robert A Hunter, C'32, Haverford, Pa., December 17, 1996.

Norman Kertzman, Ar'32, Hartford, Conn., a retired architect; April 4, 1998.

Myron J. Schwartz, W'32, Pittsburgh, retired merchandising manager for Kaufmann's department store; April 13, 1998. He later worked for their cross-town rivals, the Joseph Horne Co.

Sidney Stein, W'32, Pompano Beach, Fla., retired accountant for the Baltimore Colts; March 23, 1998.

Ruth Beach Wells, DH'32, Bristol, Conn., a retired dental hygienist; April 15, 1998. She was a past president of the local visiting-nurses association.

Seymour H. Kopelman, C'33, Roslyn Heights, N.Y., a retired attorney; April 2, 1998.

Leonard Wallach Katz, W'34, New York City, March 24, 1998.

Dr. G. Herbert Moffses, C'34, M'37, Kissimmee, Fla., a retired physician; February 26, 1998.

Joseph C. Taggart, WEv'34, Wilmington, Del., February 7, 1998.

Howard L. Forrest, WEv'35, Perkiomenville, Pa.

Emanuel Klein, W'35, Matawan, N.J.

Arthur Teich, W'35, Morrisville, Pa., a retired attorney; January 1997.

Frederick A. Ahlborn, L'36, Nokomis, Fla., a retired attorney, 1997.

Stanford Blum, C'36, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., January 13, 1995.

Albert Carroll, W'36, Devon, Pa., October 6, 1997.

Lt. Col. Josiah B. Miller, C'36, Ithaca, N.Y., December 9, 1995.

Emily Hartshorne Mudd, SW'36, Gr'50, Hon'72, emeritus professor of psychiatry and a nationally recognized pioneer in family planning, marital-therapy, and the study of human sexuality, on May 1, 1998, at the age of 99 years. Dr. Mudd was credited by one historian with playing "a role in the development of marriage counseling in the United States analogous to that played by [Margaret Sanger] in contraception."
    She remained professionally active well into her eighties, writing articles and seeing clients once a week at her home or at her office in the Mudd Suite at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, established in 1975 when the University created the Stuart and Emily B.H. Mudd Professorship of Human Behavior and Reproduction upon the death of her first husband, Dr. Stuart Mudd, G'34, an internationally renowned microbiologist.
    They helped found Pennsylvania's first birth-control facilty in 1927 -- at the time, it was a crime to dispense birth-control information in the state -- and the Marriage Council of Philadelphia in 1933. She was approached to serve as the center's counselor, as the search committee found her intuitive insights and nonjudgmental attitude ideal, even though she lacked formal training; they said she could be trained on the job. Under her direction (1936-67), the council became the first in the country to establish a program to evaluate the effectiveness of counseling, and in the mid-1950s it was one of three centers in the nation with an accredited training program for marriage counselors. It was the first in the country to be affiliated with a medical school.
    Appointed an assistant professor of family study in psychiatry at Penn's Medical School, Emily Mudd was the third woman to join that faculty. In 1954 she offered the first course at an American medical school that dealt with sexuality; she was offered two unattractive time slots -- late on Friday afternoons -- but many students signed up anyway. "She was one of the most remarkable women in Philadelphia," said Dr. Jonathan E. Rhoads, GrM'40, Hon'60, emeritus provost of the University and former chair of surgery; he noted that he had served on an academic- promotions committee to consider promoting her from assistant professor to associate professor: the committee decided instead to elevate her to full professor.
    Throughout her career, population control and women's rights were her abiding concerns, not only in this country but throughout the world; for many years, Dr. Mudd was a member of the Pathfinder Fund, which sponsored birth-control projects in many countries. She wrote three of the basic marriage-counseling textbooks -- The Practice of Marriage Counseling, Man And Wife: A Sourcebook of Family Attitudes, Sexual Behavior, and Marriage Counseling, and Success in Family Living -- and helped Alfred Kinsey edit Sexual Behavior in the Human Female. In the mid-1950s, she began working with Masters and Johnson as a consultant on counseling techniques and later served on the board of the Masters and Johnson Institute in St. Louis. In her seventies, she commuted monthly to their center to train doctors in sex therapy. They said of her: "More than anyone else, Emily Mudd encouraged and helped shape the field of marriage and family-life education, and was among the first to address the dimension of sexuality as a vital factor in family-life care."
    Although she enjoyed a long and varied career as a social scientist, she once recalled that her most difficult assignment was in 1972, when she was appointed co-chair of an all-women commission charged with reviewing Pennsylvania's restrictive abortion law. After spending six months traveling around the state holding public hearings, the commission recommended revising the law so that abortion could be a matter of choice. A few months later, the U.S. Supreme Court followed suit.
    Dr. Mudd retired as director of the marriage council and from her professorship in 1967. She was involved with the University in formal and volunteer roles for more than 60 years. She was recognized as Pennsylvania Mother of the Year in 1961, and elected a member of the American Philosophical Society in 1993. Her biography was prepared by the Schlesinger Library at Radcliffe College as part of an oral-history project featuring women who were trailblazers in the field of family planning. Widowed in 1975, Emily Mudd married again in 1981.

Albert C. Nuessle, Ch'36, Hatboro, Pa., January 10, 1998.

Jack A. Rosenberg, W'36, Rockville Centre, N.Y., August 11, 1947.

Dorothea L. Smart, Ed'36, G'42, Saco, Maine, retired dean of students at Bradford Junior College; December 6, 1997.

Dr. Victor D. Brooks, Ed'37, Ft. Washington, Pa., retired professor of psychology at La Salle University; April 21, 1998.

Albert G. Coenen, W'37, Eastchester, N.Y., January 1, 1998.

Dr. Irving Imber, C'37, M'41, Reading, Pa., a retired physician; May 5, 1997.

Harry H. Perse, C'37, New York City, April 4, 1998.

Dr. William W. Dickinson, C'38, M'42, Yalesville, Conn., a retired physician; February 15, 1998.

Dr. Robert E. Gerard, D'38, Newark, Del., a retired dentist who had maintained a practice in Denville, N.J., for more than 40 years; March 24, 1998.

Robert T. Osterlund, W'38, Sequim, Wash., January 2, 1998.

Charles E. Parker Jr., C'38, G'41, Medford, N.J., retired senior vice president of the Shell Companies Foundation; April 2, 1998. He had previously been a regional editor of Look Books, and earlier taught in the English department at Penn.

Joseph J. Zapitz, L'38, Morrisville, Pa., a former assistant U.S. attorney and former deputy attorney general for Pennsylvania, 1963-74; April 20, 1998. He practiced law until three years ago.

Charles E. Lewis Jr., WG'39, Shawnee Mission, Kans., April 11, 1998. He had worked for the Kansas City Power and Light Co. for 40 years.

Mary E. West, Ed'39, Greensboro, N.C., December 12, 1992.

 

Back to top

1940s 

Lowry C. Stephenson, C'40, Villanova, Pa., former assistant director of alumni relations at the University; September 30, 1998. Serving in the Alumni Relations Office for 13 years, he retired in 1978; he received the University's Alumni Award of Merit that year. He had earlier worked for the Philadelphia Transit Co. For many years he served on the board of Cliveden, an historic house in the Germantown district that he had lived in as a child. When a student at Penn, he was a member of the freshman football, swimming, and varsity-wrestling teams. He served as captain in the China-Burma-India theater during the Second World War.

Martin R. Grodnick, W'41, Florham Park, N.J., January 27, 1998. Two of his three sons attended Penn: Dr. Les Grodnick, Gr'72, and William Grodnick, C'72. Jane Grodnick Gold, C'96, is one of his 12 grandchildren. Penn was a major part of his life; he recounted stories from his time to his children and grandchildren -- and he wore his class ring for 57 years, till the letters were worn off. He was a past president of the New Jersey alumni club.

John Robert Rielly, W'41, Elk Grove Village, Ill., November 1991.

Douglass E. Brooks, C'42, Ambler, Pa., July 20, 1997.

Lester S. Schweitzer, Ed'42, North Miami Beach, a retired teacher; July 19, 1997. Shortly before his death, his class ring was lost or misplaced; he had a duplicate made, despite tight financial circumstances.

Jane C. Borie, FA'46, Glenside, Pa., December 16, 1997.

Dr. Benjamin A. Gross, GM'47, Elkins Park, Pa., a retired Philadelphia dermatologist; April 9, 1998. He had served as chief dermatologist at the old Methodist Hospital and Wills Eye Hospital.

Dr. Otto Pollak, Gr'47, Bryn Mawr, Pa., emeritus professor of sociology at the University, who was a specialist on the sociology of aging; April 18, 1998. He joined the faculty in 1941, was appointed professor in 1957, and retired in 1978, teaching part-time for several years.

Harry G. Smith, WG'47, West Chester, Pa., retired vice president in charge of employee benefits and compensation at the Sun Oil Co.; April 12, 1998. He had served on the board of the Occupational Health Center at Crozer-Chester Medical Center.

Dr. Andrew T. Wiley, M'47, Columbia, Md., a retired surgeon and family-planning specialist with the U.S. Agency for International Development and the Maryland Maternal Health and Family Planning Office; April 4, 1998.

Dr. Raymond E. Boudreaux, GD'48, Donaldsville, La., retired chair of oral surgery at the Loyola University School of Dentistry and retired head of oral surgery at the Louisiana State University School of Dentistry in New Orleans; April 11, 1998.

Morton Lamm, ME'48, Rydal, Pa., retired head of a Philadelphia building and renovation company; March 11, 1998. Among many projects, his company had renovated the old Philadelphia Life Insurance Co. building and the former Ben Franklin Hotel.

Eugene J. McGinley, WEv'48, Ocean City, N.J., April 14, 1995.

Isabel F. Milligan, Ed'48, Willow Grove, Pa., April 18, 1997.

Dr. Linwood J. Pearson, M'48, Conshohocken, Pa., a retired physician.

Dr. Clyde R. Broadus, D'48, Fort Worth, a retired dentist.

Elizabeth R. Carter, Ed'49, Moorestown, N.J.

Dr. Gerald E. Critoph, G'49, Gr'57, Deland, Fla., retired professor of American studies at Stetson University; April 10, 1998.

Robert G. Mossman III, W'49, Youngstown, Ohio.

Neale H. Oliver, WG'49, Kansas City, Mo., April 15, 1998. A retired advertising executive who was prominent in local fundraising for research at the University of Kansas on Parkinson's Disease, from which he suffered.

David Stybel, CE'49, Fort Lee, N.J., July 13, 1997.

Louis J. Vandenbosch, ME'49, Hatboro, Pa., July 17, 1996.

Bruce W. Wallace, W'49, Paradise Valley, Ariz., November 23, 1997.

Back to top

1950s

Hugh B. Campbell Jr., W'50, Norwich, Conn., retired senior vice president of individual sales with the Phoenix Mutual Life Insurance Co.; March 28, 1998.

John H. Cosmar, C'50, Cheshire, Conn., a retired sales representative for the Rockbestos Co. of New Haven; April 10, 1998.

Marjorie S. Katz, CW'50, SW'77, Margate, N.J., a retired social worker for and later board member of Jewish Family Services in Atlantic City; April 28, 1998.

Albert W. Kunberger, W'50, Williamsburg, Va., December 1997.

William H. Lukens, G'50, Somerdale, N.J., a retired Philadelphia public-school teacher of history and economics; April 12, 1998.

Dr. Maurice Schiff, GM'50, San Diego, a retired otorhinolaryngologist; November 29, 1993.

Charles B. Wagner Jr., WEv'51, CCC'55, Venice, Fla., October 11, 1997. He had worked for the old Pennsylvania Railway for 42 years.

Lois Isaacs Hoffman, Ed'53, Wynnewood, Pa.

James M. McGettigan, Ar'53, Gaithersburg, Md., a retired architect in the Washington, D.C. area who had specialized in the design of healthcare facilities; April 27, 1998.

Dr. Norman E. Schenk, D'53, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., a dentist; January 24, 1998.

Dr. Bruce D. Waxman, C'53, Rockville, Md., an authority in biomedical computing, cartography, and image processing, who helped found the University Research Foundation's Microelectronics Laboratory in Columbia; April 12, 1998. There he was involved in contract work for the U.S. Navy and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, in the development of new methods of microchip manufacture, advances in high-speed data transmission, and in imaging. He had earlier worked for the Defense Mapping Agency, on cartography and image-processing innovations that were applied to tracking narcotics traffickers. He also wrote the 1997 sci-fi novel, A Venusian Conundrum, and the four-volume Computers in Biomedical Research.

Donald N. Litz, W'54, Buffalo Grove, Ill., a retired executive vice president for Prudential Securities; September 2, 1997.

Bryon M. Davis, WEF'55, Clarks Summit, Pa., November 3, 1997.

Dr. Irwin S. Terner, GM'55, Sewickley, Pa., a retired ophthalmologist and surgeon who had served as head of surgery at Sewickley Valley Hospital; March 26, 1998. He was a former president of the Pittsburgh Ophthalmological Society.

Sheldon M. Blazar, WG'56, Rockville, Md., a financial consultant for American Express; April 8, 1998. He had earlier served as senior vice president and CFO of a real estate development company in northern Virginia.

Hon. David W. Leahy, L'58, San Jose, Calif., a judge of the California Superior Court; February 10, 1997.

Gerald R. Riso, WG'58, Alexandria, Va., a partner in a Washington, D.C., consulting firm, who had ealier served as an associate director of the Office of Budget and Management and later chief financial officer for the Department of Housing and Urban Development; April 21, 1998. In the early nineties, he was president of Philips Colleges, Inc., the country's largest for-profit chain of trade schools.

Dr. Alan J. Wortman, C'58, D'62, West Hartford, Conn., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Southington for 30 years; April 16, 1998.

Hugh Brock, C'59, Elverson, Pa., assistant director of the real estate division of Cigna Corp. in Philadelphia; April 28, 1998.

Dr. William A. Epstein, D'59, Philadelphia, a dentist; November 9, 1997.

Back to top

1960s

F. V. Marzullo III, W'60, Lantana, Fla., October 21, 1997.

David W. Alexander, GEE'65, Washington, D.C., November 3, 1996.

Dr. Zenovia Sochor Parry, CW'65, Southborough, Mass., professor of government and international relations at Clark University; February 9, 1998. An expert on Ukraine -- she was a research associate at the Ukrainian Research Institute and the Davis Center for Russian Studies at Harvard University -- she studied that country's move towards capitalism and democracy. Recently she wrote Reinventing Ukraine. A year after leaving Penn, she was the first woman to receive a Thouron Award, taking a master's degree at the London School of Economics.

Janet Shapiro Kress, GEd'67, Lafayette Hill, Pa., a retired reading teacher in the Norristown School District; April 20, 1998.

Dr. Annette B. Weiner, CW'68, Wolcott, Vt., December 7, 1997.

Back to top

1970s

Robert J. Holtz, C'71, Bryn Mawr, Pa., an attorney in private practice in Philadelphia for more than 20 years; December 11, 1998. He was a former overseer of the School of Arts and Sciences and a past president, and longtime board member, of the College Alumni Society. He also served on the Alzie Jackson Scholarship Committee and was treasurer of the Philadelphia Penn Club. Recently he served on the Alumni Society's executive committee.

Alan K. Carr, C'73, Haddonfield, N.J., director of information systems for the Campbell Soup Co. in Camden; November 7, 1997.

Capt Alan G. Putnam, WG'73, Philadelphia, master of the container ship, Sea-Land Quality, since 1988; March 27, 1998, days after being hit by a truck while out jogging in Houston, training for the Boston Marathon.

Back to top

1980s

Alexander S. Andrews III, C'80, New Milford, Conn., May 13, 1997.

Gladys S. Renfrow, GrEd'81, GEd'97, Philadelphia, headmistress of the YMCA Academy, a private school in West Philadelphia; April 26, 1998.

Steven D. Murray, WG'82, Drexel Hill, Pa., vice president for business services at the University; April 16, 1998. He had joined Penn as director of transportation and communications in 1974. He was instrumental in the planning of the new Inn at Penn, due for completion this fall. A new street on campus, the small access road to the main entrance of the hotel from Chestnut Street, was named after him.

Colleen Curry Dawson, C'83, West Hartford, Conn., marketing director for CUC International; October 7, 1997, from cancer.

 

Faculty & Staff

Dr. Mark W. Allam. See Class of 1932.

A Leon Higginbotham Jr.

Dr. Emily H. Mudd. See Class of 1936.

Steven D. Murray. See Class of 1982.

Charles E. Parker Jr. See Class of 1938.

Dr. Otto Pollak. See Class of 1947.

Lowry C. Stephenson. See Class of 1940.

 

 


Previous issue's obituaries
| March/April Contents | Gazette home


Copyright 1999 The Pennsylvania Gazette Last modified 2/22/99