May | June 2004

1910

1923

1924

1925

1926

1927

1928

1929

1930

1931

1932

1933

1934

1935

1936

1937

1938

1939

1940

1941

1942

1943

1944

1945

1946

1947

1948

1949

1950

1951

1952

1953

1954

1955

1956

1957

1958

1959

 

 

1960

1961

1962

1963

1964

1965

1966

1967

1968

1969

1970

1971

1972

1973

1974

1975

1976

1977

1978

1979

1980

1981

1982

1983

1984

1985

1986

1987

1988

1989

1990

1991

1992

1993

1994

1995

1996

1997

1998

1999

2000

2001

2002

2003

Faculty & Staff

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1923 | Dr. William C. Griesmer D’23, Bethel Park, Pa., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Hazleton for 50 years, until his retirement in 1972; June 1998.

George R. Kinsley WEv’23, Libertyville, Ill., Feb. 21, 2000.

1924 | Albert E. Knecht W’24, Sarasota, Fla., an executive and securities broker; Oct. 17. He began his career in the insurance industry, where he served as manager of the bonding department at the Fidelity and Casualty Co. in Buffalo, N.Y., for 17 years. Around 1940, he became a partner in the Vacuum Gas Burner Co., which manufactured equipment to convert coal-fired furnaces to gas. After selling the business in the early 1950s, he sold mutual funds until his retirement in about 1970. At Penn he was first chair violinist in the University orchestra. And he founded and was president of a local fraternity that later joined Tau Kappa Epsilon.

1925 | Edward L. Bronstien W’25, Palm Beach, Fla., Aug. 24, 1998.

Herbert G. Hannemann W’25, Riverton, N.J., Oct. 15, 2001.

Mary Howes Kurtz Ed’25, Palm Beach, Fla., April 30, 2000.

back to top

1926 | Henry J. Amram W’26, Buffalo, N.Y., Nov. 23, 1998.

Harriet D. Fleischmann Ed’26, Philadelphia, Sept. 27, 1999.

John G. MacDonald W’26, Gulfport, Miss., May 31, 2003.

Edward B. Sonnheim CE’26, Seminole, Fla., July 18.

back to top

1927 | Hyla Thomas Blakey Ed’27, Chicago, Oct. 9, 2002.

Frank L. Deichler Jr. CE’27, Upper Darby, Pa., Aug. 23, 2000.

Sylvan Lefcoe W’27, Los Angeles, a retired attorney; May 22, 2003.

back to top

1928 | H. Ruth Dean Ed’28 G’31, Gwynedd, Pa., a librarian at the Philadelphia High School for Girls for over 30 years; Sept. 25. She taught school in Seaford, Del., and was a librarian at Kingston High School in Pennsylvania before becoming librarian at Girls High, her alma mater. After retiring in the 1970s, she remained active with the school’s alumnae association.

Albert Laub C’28 L’31, Pikesville, Md., Oct. 20, 2002.

Dr. Esther Astin Menaker Ed’28 PSW’30, New York, Aug. 20.

Charles F. Plankenhorn W’28, Williamsport, Pa., the former owner of Plankenhorn Stationery Co., a family business begun by his father in 1899; Oct. 7. He retired in 1968, turning the business over to his own sons. He was also the former president and general manager of Penn Garment Co. and the F.E. Plankenhorn Braid Works. At Penn he was a member of Kappa Alpha Phi fraternity and the Scabbard and Blade honorary fraternity. And he served as business manager of the University orchestra. He was a former director and vice president of both the Par k Home and the Texas-Blockhouse Fish and Game Club, and a former director and treasurer of the Williamsport Kiwanis Club and Williamsport-Lycoming Chamber of Commerce and Merchants Bureau. A U.S. Army lieutenant colonel of infantry during the Second World War, he served in the European theater and remained a member of the Army Reserves for 24 years.

back to top

1929 | Harold J. Berns W’29, La Jolla, Calif., July 12.

E. Frederick Josephs W’29, Cherry Hill, N.J., Sept. 20.

John H. Kell Ar’29, San Antonio, Tex., April 9, 2002.

Edward C. Rizy W’29, New York, Feb. 13, 2000.

1930 | Edwin L. Grauel W’30, Thousand Palms, Calif., May 1, 2002.

Clementine Murphy Knox Ed’30, Philadelphia, Oct. 17.

Dr. Andre Constant Vauclain W’30 Gr’47, Morgantown, Pa., emeritus professor of music at the University; Nov. 5. Although urged to work in his family’s business, Baldwin Locomotive, he traveled to Italy to study music composition. He also taught music at the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia and at Princeton, and founded the theory program at the old New School of Music (now a part of Temple University’s Esther Boyer College of Music). Penn professor of music Dr. Lawrence F. Bernstein said, “Connie was a theorist and composer of the 20th-century modern style; he developed ‘syntonality.’” Dr. Bernstein added that Dr. Vauclain was a committed teacher who helped students develop the internal hearing essential to composition. Following his retirement from Penn in 1979, he taught at Haverford College until 1983. He was also known locally for owning seven antique Jaguars, which he worked on himself.

back to top

1931 | Ford R. Jennings W’31, Cornwall, Pa., April 21, 2001.

Henry A. Kriebel C’31, Needham, Mass., May 6, 1999.

Clarence S. Lapedes W’31, Dayton, Ohio, the retired head of Lion Apparel; March 2002.

Marion Stover Miller Ed’31 G’35, Danbury, Conn., Nov. 20, 2001.

Dr. Benjamin S. Nimoityn C’31, Philadelphia, Dec. 17, 2001.

Marvin K. Peterson W’31, Ipswich, Mass., March 14, 1999.

Decatur E. Shultz C’31, Oreland, Pa., July 8, 2001.

Michael S. Swiecicki C’31, Audubon, N.J., Nov. 27, 2001.

Robert B. Thompson C’31, Falmouth, Maine, June 12, 2002.

back to top

1932 | Dr. H. Victor Adix Jr. GM’32, Portland, Ore., a retired physician; March 20, 2001.

John A. Perretta W’32, Utica, N.Y., an accountant until his retirement in 1974; Dec. 15, 2000. At Penn he was a member of Alpha Phi Delta fraternity.

Rose Stinsky Rubinson Ed’32, Media, Pa., March 29, 2002.

back to top

1933 | Hon. Herman L. Bookford C’33 L’36, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., May 2003.

Dr. C. Richard Brandt M’33, Mechanicsburg, Pa., a retired cardiologist; Oct. 11. He served on the medical staffs of Harrisburg Hospital, Seidle Memorial Hospital, and Holy Spirit Hospital from 1935 until his retirement in 1978. Dr. Brandt was past president of the medical staff at Harrisburg and Seidle Memorial hospitals, the Tri-County Heart Association, and the Cumberland County Cancer Society. He had also been president of Seidle’s board of trustees. During the Second World War he served as the executive officer of the 61st Medical Battalion, which landed on Omaha Beach in Normandy on D-Day, for which he received the Distinguished Unit Service Plaque and the Croix de Guerre with Palm. The French government also awarded him the Jubilee medal and diploma, for his assistance in the liberation of France.

Francis M. Butler C’33, Philadelphia, Feb. 21, 2003.

Robert J. Hlavin W’33, Leawood, Kan., Feb. 22, 2003.

Dr. William H. Jacobson D’33, Point Pleasant, N.J., a retired dentist; Nov. 4, 1999.

Charles J. Kast G’33, San Jose, Calif., a retired teacher; Oct. 31, 2001.

Dr. Frank S. Mainella C’33, Franklin Square, N.Y., a retired physician; Aug. 19.

Adrien A. Maught W’33, New Orleans, Dec. 8, 2002.

Milton J. Savar WEv’33, Philadelphia, a retired certified public accountant and federal civil servant; Sept. 13. He began working for the federal government in 1944, and was named chief of the accounting division of the Financial Management Agency in 1960. After retiring in 1965, he formed a private accounting firm, and he published an easy-to-use tax guide for clients. And he was comptroller for the Liberty Federal Savings and Loan Association.

George M. Schuster Ed’33 G’38, Philadelphia, a high-school history teacher in Philadelphia for 40 years; Nov. 5. He began teaching history at Germantown High School and later transferred to Northeast High School, where he remained until his retirement in 1978.

Dr. Edward M. Sullivan C’33, Saint Maries, Idaho, a retired physician; June 20, 2002.

Dr. Paul S. Woodall M’33, Birmingham, Ala., a retired physician; Aug. 17.

back to top

1934 | Anthony Bruno C’34, Saint Petersburg, Fla., Jan. 10, 1999.

Russell C. Burkholder WEv’34 CCC’39 G’62, Boynton Beach, Fla., vice president of the old Fidelity Bank in Philadelphia (now part of Wachovia Bank), until his retirement in 1979; Aug. 26. He began working part-time in the mail room of Fidelity Bank at age 16, and continued to work for the institution during his education at Penn. He then taught investment at Wharton’s Evening School and at the old Pennsylvania Military College, now Widener University. During the Second World War and the Korean War, Fidelity held his position while he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces and later the Air Force.

Robert J. Cornfield W’34, Ormond Beach, Fla., Nov. 25, 1999.

Leroy B. Dampman Jr. ChE’34, La Marque, Tex., July 4.

Anthony E. Feil W’34, Columbus, Ga., the retired assistant vice president and director of labor relations for the Singer Co.; July 19. His son is David W. Feil WG’75.

Carman Thomas Fontana WEv’34, Moorestown, N.J., an employee in the law department of the Philadelphia Electric Company (now Peco) for 40 years; Oct. 7. He had served in the U.S. armed forces in India during the Second World War. And he “never lost the ‘Wharton Charm,’” according to his friend, Dr. Louise Furia De Lago CW’44 GrEd’86.

J. Henry Healy Jr. W’34, Birdsboro, Pa., April 29, 2001.

John R. Jones WEv’34, Collingswood, N.J., Aug. 26.

Elmer A. Kirsch W’34, Glen Cove, N.Y., Oct. 11. At Penn he was a member of Alpha Epsilon Psi fraternity and played water polo on the varsity team. A lifelong Quaker fan, he looked forward to attending Homecoming football games with one of his sons, Dr. Michael G. Kirsch C’68 GEd’72 GrEd’74, and granddaughter, Rebecca Kirsch C’00. He had served in the U.S. Army during the Second World War.

Dr. Franklin L. Rutberg C’34 M’38 GM’51, Merion, Pa., emeritus chief of otolaryngology at Germantown Hospital and a member of the medical staff of Chestnut Hill Hospital; Aug. 17. During the 1950s, he was an instructor in otolaryngology at the University’s Graduate School of Medicine. And he was associated with the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf for many years. During the Second World War, Dr. Rutberg served with the U.S. Army Medical Corps in North Africa. His father was Dr. J. James Rutberg C1908 and his son is Dr. Michael Rutberg C’62 M’66.

Dr. John H. Stine D’34, Cornwall, Pa., an assistant professor of dentistry at the University from 1935 to 1980; Sept. 28. He was the attending dentist for Bryn Mawr Hospital from 1945 to 1986. And he had maintained a private dental practice in Bryn Mawr and Villanova for 53 years, until his retirement in 1988. Dr. Stine was a former president of the Academy of General Dentistry. He had served as a commander of the Dental Corps for the U.S. Navy Reserves during the Korean War.

David W. Yaffe L’34, Philadelphia, an attorney and former snack-food manufacturer; Oct. 26. When practicing law in Philadelphia became difficult during the Depression, he took over managing two of his father’s movie theaters, where he had played piano for silent films during his childhood. During the 1950s, inspired by the sales of popcorn in theaters, he manufactured snacks under the labels of Y & Y Popcorn and Tritzel Pretzels. After selling his food company to Nabisco in 1982, he became a food consultant. He returned to the law at age 86 after being re-admitted to the Pennsylvania bar. And he worked for a mortgage financing company in New Jersey.

William Zeidel W’34 L’37, Los Angeles, April 21, 2003.

back to top

1935 | Dr. Hugh C. Abernethy C’35 M’38, West Chester, a retired pediatrician who had maintained a practice for over 40 years; Sept. 30. He began his career working for a general practitioner before establishing his own pediatric practice in West Chester in 1947. He was also a physician for the West Chester school district for ten years, and served on the staff of Chester County Hospital. Dr. Abernethy volunteered at the Well Baby Clinic in West Chester and was a doctor at Camp Linden, a summer camp for disadvantaged children in Chester County. After his retirement in 1989, he volunteered at West Chester Library and the Bryn Mawr Rehabilitation Center. During the Second World War he was a medical officer for the U.S. Army, and participated in the Normandy invasion and the liberation of Paris.

Martin W. Corbman C’35, Wynnewood, Pa., Sept. 15.

Austin S. Corey W’35, Westlake, Ohio, Sept. 28.

John F. Davis II ChE’35, Willow Street, Pa., July 9, 1999.

Bailey R. Frank C’35, St. Johnsbury, Vt., April 27, 2001.

J. Frederick Gehr L’35, Hughesville, Pa., a retired attorney; Feb. 26, 2002.

Robert W. Reed C’35 G’37, Berwyn, Pa., Sept. 19.

Herman W. Seiler W’35, Bangkok, Thailand, the retired owner and operator of Seiler’s Bakery Co., Ltd., there; Aug. 28.

back to top

1936 | Edward W. Aschmann Ar’36, Richmond, Va., Nov. 3, 2002.

Dr. John L. Atkins M’36 GM’36, York, Pa., a retired physician; July 29, 1999.

Theresa S. Churchill PSW’36, Sterling, Va., Jan. 17, 2003.

Albert P. Englert W’36, Ardmore, Pa., Sept. 29. His stepsons are Daniel G. Kamin C’64 and Robert S. Kamin C’66, and one of Robert’s daughters is Valerie Kamin C’07.

Elizabeth Ann Sixmith Frost Ed’36, Caribou, Maine, Aug. 20. At Penn she was a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and the University’s first women’s rowing crew. She had taught education and home economics.

Nicholas A. Grant G’36, Blue Bell, Pa., a retired mathematics teacher at Central High School in Philadelphia who retired in 1976; Nov. 18.

Walter R. Hagey WEv’36, Telford, Pa., a retired attorney; Dec. 15, 2002.

Joe Walter Langran LAr’36, Altadena, Calif., Aug. 4.

John Marino Ed’36 GEd’39, Aldan, Pa., Sept. 12.

Dr. Josiah C. McCracken Jr. C’36 M’40, Center Harbor, N.H., a retired physician; Sept. 28.

Jacqueline Herson Simon Ed’36, Bryn Mawr, Pa., Sept. 10. She had worked for Wall and Ochs Opticians in Philadelphia. She served on the board of volunteers at the Moss Rehabilitation Center and was past president of the sisterhood of Congregation Rodeph Shalom, where she also sang in the choir. Following the death in 1983 of her husband, Joseph E. Simon W’33, she funded and helped plan the Simon Garden at the Baldwin School in Bryn Mawr. Her son is Dr. William H. Simon M’63 GM’67, and his daughter is Eve Herson Simon C’91.

1937 | Benjamin Bernstein L’37, Philadelphia, a personal-injury attorney in Philadelphia for over 40 years; Aug. 28. He also wrote several books advising chiropractors on how to become expert witnesses in the courtroom. His wife is Geraldine Summers Bernstein Ed’47.

Francis E. Heil WEF’37, Cape May Court House, N.J., July 2, 2002.

Baird King W’37 L’40, Ambler, Pa., Oct. 28, 2001.

Dr. Martin G. Larrabee Gr’37, Glen Arm, Md., June 16, 2003.

Dr. H. Evan Runner C’37, Grand Rapids, Mich., March 14, 2002.

David Stotland L’37, Philadelphia, a retired attorney; Jan. 5, 2003.

Dr. Dwight H. Trowbridge Jr. GM’37, Fresno, Calif., a retired physician; Nov. 5, 1999.

back to top

1938 | Emily Campion Carvill FA’38, San Francisco, Jan. 17, 2003. An artist, she specialized in painting and enamel work on copper.

Edward D. Dreas WEF’38, Reading, Pa., July 15, 1998.

Dr. Morris L. Dunn C’38, Farmington, Conn., a retired physician; Aug. 12, 2002.

Elizabeth M. Keller OT’38, Fogelsville, Pa., Oct. 25.

Robert C. Lipman CE’38, Oak Ridge, Tenn., retired director of the construction division and contracting officer for the U.S. Department of Energy; Oct. 28. At Penn he earned a varsity letter in rowing as part of the lightweight, eight-oared shell crew. He began his career as a surveyor for repair of flood damage and hydro-electric dams on the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania, and then served as a transit-man on the electrification of the Pennsylvania Railroad from Philadelphia to Harrisburg. He was a hydraulic engineer on the operation of 14 water companies that furnished water throughout the PRR system. During the Second World War he served in the U.S. Navy Civil Engineer Corps, where he was assistant project manager on heavy construction, including a battleship dry dock, ammunition depot, and other structures. He then served as commanding officer of the Navy Seabee Reserve Unit in Knoxville, Tenn., retiring after 13 years in the reserves. He went on to work for the Federal Public Housing Authority in Chicago and the Federal Works Agency in Omaha, Neb. He then became a construction engineer at Oak Ridge, Tenn., where he was involved in the administration and management of numerous projects until his retirement in 1982, after 42 years of government service. A passionate softball and baseball fan, he continuously played, managed, and administered local softball leagues and tournaments for 40 years, beginning in 1952.

Lawrence E. Martin WEv’38, Petaluma, Calif., March 16, 2002.

Stanley H. Roberts W’38, Floral Park, N.Y., Sept. 10.

Dr. David W. Robinson M’38, Shawnee Mission, Kan., a retired physician; September 2003.

Gretta Homan Smith DH’38, Winter Park, Fla., July 22, 2001.

Dr. Louise Barrett Speck CW’38, Glenwood Springs, Colo., Oct. 17. She worked as a researcher and instructor at the University of Colorado Medical Center until 1962, when she joined the National Institutes of Health, in Bethesda, Md. She retired in 1976, while continuing to work for the U.S. Army in Washington. Earlier, she and her husband had built a 20-foot sailboat and sailed along the East Coast.

back to top

1939 | Hon. Roxana Cannon Arsht L’39, Wilmington, Del., the first woman judge in Delaware and the fifth woman admitted to the state bar; Oct. 3. During the early 1950s she worked with private welfare agencies. She served as a volunteer master of Family Court from 1962 until 1971, when she was selected to become a family-court judge, the first in Delaware’s history. Being petite, she had to wear a child’s choir robe to court; she later gave her ruffled dickie to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor. Hon. Arsht retired from the bench in 1983 and returned to community service, which included encouraging women to practice law. She offered time and financial support to numerous non-profit organizations, including Planned Parenthood and Stand Up for What’s Right and Just, which is aimed at reforming Delaware’s criminal justice system. She and her husband, S. Samuel Arsht W’31 L’34, who died in 1999, contributed to the development of the Academy of Lifelong Learning at the University of Delaware, including the funding of Arsht Hall on the Wilmington campus. The Roxana Cannon Arsht Surgicenter in Wilmington was made possible by a gift from her husband in recognition of her longtime service as a Christiana Care trustee. After his death from cancer, she became the founding member of the Cancer Care Connection. She received numerous awards, including the University of Delaware Medal of Distinction, the First State Distinguished Service Award, and the annual award of recognition from the National Conference for Community and Justice. Hon. Arsht was inducted into the Hall of Fame of Delaware Women in 1986.

R. Chadwick Collins L’39, Caracas, Venezuela, Oct. 16.

Jacob S. Coxey W’39, Phoenix, Ariz., Dec. 19, 2002.

John T. Farrell W’39, Santa Ana, Calif., Aug. 26.

Oscar C. Fienberg W’39, Sun City, Fla., the owner of Home Furniture Co., Bennington, Vt., until his retirement in 1979; Dec. 24.

Thomas P. Glassmoyer L’39, Willow Grove, Pa., a retired partner in the Philadelphia law firm of Schnader, Harrison, Segal & Lewis; Oct. 12. He began his career as a law clerk in the city’s Court of Common Pleas before joining Schnader, Harrison, Segal & Lewis in 1942; he became a partner in 1950 and retired in 1988. He co-wrote Legal Problems in Tax Returns. And he had been secretary and directory of Lawrence McFadden Co., a furniture-varnish manufacturer in Philadelphia. Active in public service, he was a past-president of the board of commissioners of Upper Dublin and a former commissioner of police. During the Second World War, he served in the U.S. Army in the Judge Advocate General’s Office of the Pentagon.

William H. Kley WEv’39, West Brandywine, Pa., Oct. 6, 2002.

Dr. Simon Lewis C’39 D’41, Beacon, N.Y., a retired dentist; Oct. 13.

Marvin Mohl W’39, Issaquah, Wash., a retired attorney; June 5, 2003.

Helen Pelkonen Pencek Ed’39, Palm Springs, Fla., Aug. 14, 2002.

Julius Rosenwald II WEv’39, Elkins Park, Pa., Nov. 2.

Jack Schutzbank Ch’39, Las Vegas, June 1, 2002.

Francis D. Wetherill C’39, Philadelphia, founder of the former Neshaminy Electronics Corporation, where he worked until his retirement in 1986; Nov. 16. Earlier, he had been an import manager for the John Wanamaker stores. He and his wife enjoyed sailing the world in their yachts following his retirement.

back to top

1940 | Mary Fellows Baird GEd’40, Alexandria, Va., Jan. 14, 2003.

Edward J. Englander ChE’40, Scranton, Pa., Nov. 4, 2001.

Joseph A. Greenwald W’40, Washington, Oct. 30, 2000.

Dr. Felix Mick C’40 M’43 GM’52, Milford, Del., chief of the medical staff of Milford Memorial Hospital from 1956 until his retirement in 1981; Sept. 13. He began his career there in 1953. In 1967 he organized and directed the intensive-coronary-care unit, believed to be the first separate ICCU in the state. During the Second World War he served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific Theater during the invasion of Okinawa and then at the U.S. Naval Hospital at Pearl Harbor.

Catherine Funk Sload NTS’40, Phoenixville, Pa., Dec. 2, 2000.

Dr. Abraham H. Steinberg GM’40, Sylvania, Ohio, a retired obstetrician and gynecologist who had maintained a practice in Toledo for many years; July 13, 2000.

Dr. Thomas H. Weaber Jr. M’40, Emmaus, Pa., a retired physician; Sept. 2.

back to top

1941 | Dr. David C. Baker D’41, East Hampton, N.Y., a dentist who had maintained a practice there for over 50 years, until his retirement at age 79; Oct. 20. During the Second World War he was a member of the U.S. Army’s 12th Evacuation Hospital, following General Patton’s Third Army through France, Luxembourg, and Germany.

Vaughn P. Cobian WEv’41, Cincinnati, July 31.

Daniel M. Crystal C’41, Phoenix, Oct. 10, 2002.

Grace Burrus DeHaven NTS’41, Greentown, Pa., a U.S. Army nurse who retired with the rank of major after 30 years of service; Feb. 9, 2003. She was stationed in New Guinea and Australia during the Second World War, and in Italy and Germany later. “She loved her time at Penn and was my inspiration for becoming a nurse there,” said her niece, Jacqueline Hitchings Bellezza NTS’52.

Dr. Miles D. Garber Jr. M’41, Albuquerque, N.M., a retired physician; Jan. 1, 2003.

Henry A. Goodband C’41, Honey Brook, Pa., Feb. 22, 2003. He was a member of the Charles Custis Harrison Society.

William J. J. Gordon C’41, Cambridge, Mass., June 30, 2003.

Benjamin R. Honecker W’41, Wheeling, W.Va., a retired attorney; May 14, 2003.

Samuel Mades W’41, Boca Raton, Fla., Sept. 5.

William Morris McCawley W’41, West Chester, Pa., Oct. 14.

Austin W. Milans W’41, Quitman, Ga., a retired accountant; Sept. 21. At Penn he was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity and the Sphinx Senior Society.

William C. Ogden W’41, Chalfont, Pa., Jan. 7, 2003.

Dr. Florence Bangert Pattock CW’41, Minneapolis, a retired teacher of Russian at the College of St. Catherine; July 7, 2003. During the Second World War she served as a first lieutenant and recruiter with the U.S. Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps in Tennessee. According to her husband, they were the first U.S. Army officers to marry.

Alice Shea Reardon Ed’41, Jenkintown, Pa., Jan. 22, 2003.

Rev. Shirley F. Woods G’41, Livermore, Calif., June 1, 2003.

Charles N. Zellers WG’41, Oviedo, Fla., Aug. 5, 2002.

back to top

1942 | Irving B. Alpert W’42, Lakewood, N.J., April 22, 2003.

Thomas W. Bainbridge ME’42, Nokomis, Fla., Dec. 27, 2002.

Ruth E. Durr Ar’42, Gwynedd, Pa., Sept. 28.

Essie M. Hughes GEd’42, Baltimore, Nov. 4, 2002.

Dr. John W. Irwin M’42, Lincoln Center, Mass., a retired physician; May 12, 2003.

Mary Jane Johnson NTS’42, Latrobe, Pa., June 9, 2003.

Virginia Kurtz Ed’42 GEd’45, Philadelphia, a retired elementary-school principal with the Philadelphia school system for 43 years; Sept. 8. She began her career as a first-grade teacher in 1927, and served as a teacher and principal at various elementary schools in the city, retiring in 1970. She lived with her two sisters, who were also teachers, and traveled the world with them in the summers, according to her niece.

Scott MacKenzie Jr. Ch’42, San Francisco, July 1.

Dr. J. Michael Nemish V’42 CCC’49, Suffolk, Va., a retired veterinarian for the U.S. Department of Agriculture; Nov. 13, 2000.

E. Leslie Rebmann WEv’42, Drexel Hill, Pa., a salesman and certified life underwriter with New York Life Insurance Co.; Nov. 18. He worked for the switch-gear division of General Electric during the 1930s, until joining New York Life in the 1940s. And he taught insurance courses at the American College in Bryn Mawr, Pa. He maintained his insurance license and never fully retired. During the 1976 Bicentennial, he and his wife participated in events at Valley Forge National Historical Park in colonial costumes she had made.

Alphonsus R. Romeika L’42, Philadelphia, an attorney with Romeika, Fish & Schecter since 1954; Nov. 9. He had taught veterinary ethics at Penn, and law at Temple University for 30 years.

Paul Rosenberg W’42, Cheltenham, Pa., Sept. 15. A founding member of Congregation Melrose B’nai Israel in Cheltenham, who served as an officer and board member for many years. And he served on the board of the town library. In 2002 he was part of the small group attending the 60th reunion of Wharton graduates.

back to top

1943 | Alice Clark Gaines GEd’43, Washington, Dec. 12, 2002.

Herbert C. Gross Jr. ME’43, Media, Pa., April 25, 2003.

Dr. David R. M. Harvey C’43, Ojai, Calif., a retired physician; July 31.

Richard A. Kaskey W’43, Palm Beach, Fla., the retired founder and operator of the Jenard Corporation, a firm that made heat-sealed vinyl products; Sept. 11. After working several years in a family pharmaceutical business, he founded Jenard in Yeadon, Pa., and operated it until 1994, when he sold it after the death of his son, James, who had worked with him. He and his wife provided money for a major renovation of the University’s BioPond, which was rededicated in 2001 as the James G. Kaskey Memorial Garden, in honor of his son. Long active in Penn’s alumni organizations, he received the Award of Merit in 2002. And he was a board member of the National Liberty Museum in Philadelphia, and the Abramson Center for Jewish Life in Horsham, Pa.

Jean Petrini CCC’43, Philadelphia, Oct. 4, 2002.

Herbert L. Sherman WEv’43, Gainesville, Ga., June 10, 2001.

Laurence A. Tisch WG’43, Rye, N.Y., the co-chair and co-founder of Loews Corporation; Nov. 15. During the Second World War he served in the U.S. Office of Strategic Services, precursor to the CIA. In 1946 he bought a small New Jersey resort hotel for $125,000. His brother, Preston, became his partner in 1948; during the next dozen years, they purchased hotels in New York, New Jersey, and Florida. In 1960 they acquired a substantial interest in Loew’s Theatres, Inc., one of the larger movie-house chains in the country. Intrigued by the underlying real-estate assets of the company, the brothers began demolishing old Loews movie theaters in New York and building modern apartment buildings and hotels on their sites. As president and chief executive officer of Loews, Tisch expanded the company to include subsidiaries such as CAN Financial Corporation, Diamond Offshore Drilling, Inc., the Bulova Corporation, and Texas Gas Transmission, along with Loews Hotels. They sold the Loew’s Theatres business in 1985. In 1986 he acquired almost 25 percent shareholding of CBS, where he became acting chief executive until its acquisition by Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1995. He retired as chief executive officer of Loews in 1999, when one of his sons, James S. Tisch WG’76, assumed the position, but Lawrence Tisch remained active in the company as co-chair of the board. A former trustee of the University, he received Wharton’s Gold Award and the Joseph Wharton Award. He also served as chair of the trustees of New York University from 1978 to 1988, and was a former president of the United Jewish Appeal of Greater New York. And he had been a trustee of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Whitney Museum of Art, and the New York Public Library. Among his grandchildren are Alexander H. Tisch C’00, Lacey Tisch C’03, David L. Tisch C’03, and Michael J. Tisch C’06.

Gerald Y. Widrow W’43, Miami, April 14, 2003.

back to top

1944 | Stanley E. Gilinsky L’44, Richmond, Va., an executive for Saks Fifth Avenue and Gimbel Brothers for 33 years; Aug. 12. He began his career as an attorney for Wolf, Block, Schorr & Solis-Cohen in Philadelphia. He was a senior vice president and director of Saks Fifth Avenue and a vice president and director of Gimbel Brothers. As senior vice president for real estate, he was in charge of expansion and development for the Batus retail division (former parent company of Saks Fifth Avenue and Gimbel Brothers), he played an integral role in the complex planning and development of the former Swiss Bank Tower behind Saks flagship store. Following his retirement in 1983, he was a real-estate consultant for the Batus, vice-chair of the Harlan Company, and president and chair of the Peruvian Avenue Corporation of Palm Beach, Fla. His son is Michael S. Gilinsky W’70 L’74 and his daughter is Dr. Ellen Gilinsky CW’75.

Barclay M. Hamilton WEv’44, Ocoee, Fla., June 27, 2002.

Sumner B. Ladd ME’44, Avalon, Calif., Jan. 5, 2003.

Margaret Miller Laws Ed’44, Newark, Del., July 4.

Rev. Charles E. Olewine C’44, Levittown, Pa., July 5, 2002.

back to top

1945 | Dr. Milton Ames D’45, Toms River, N.J., a retired dentist; Jan. 29, 2003.

Frank J. Bowden Jr. W’45 L’50, Villanova, Pa., the retired executive director of the Associated Petroleum Industries of Pennsylvania, an affiliate of the American Petroleum Institute; Aug. 21. He taught at Wharton and began his career as an attorney with his father in Philadelphia, before joining the former Delaware Valley Council, now the Penjerdel Council, a tri-state regional and economic planning agency that was established in 1956. As council secretary, he served on many civic committees and published a resource guide for information on the Delaware Valley. In 1962, he became the executive director of Associated Petroleum and was a spokesman and lobbyist for the petroleum industry for over 20 years, until his retirement in the 1980s. He then worked as a consultant to oil companies. The grandson of a man who had operated a tugboat on the Delaware River in the 1880s, he had been involved in a project to dredge a channel in the Delaware River to improve shipping. He was an active participant in several community organizations and was the former director of the Radnor, Ithan, and St. David’s civic association.

Jerome D. Cooperman C’45, Pompano Beach, Fla., April 3, 2003.

Dr. Louis R. Dinon C’45 M’49, Drexel Hill, Pa., a retired cardiologist; March 26, 2003. He taught at the University, where an award for teaching was named after him.

Rev. Lloyd A. Kalland G’45, South Hamilton, Mass., Feb. 9, 2003.

Thomas E. Kressly W’45, Williamsport, Pa., July 16, 2003.

Betty Jane Laucks NTS’45, Gladwyne, Pa., May 1, 2002.

Dr. Culbert G. Rutenber Gr’45, Austin, Tex., past president of American Baptist Churches USA and professor emeritus of the philosophy of religion and social ethics at Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary; Aug. 6. Pastor of Linden Baptist Church in Camden, N.J., from 1933 to 1939, he became professor of the philosophy of religion and a professor of social ethics at Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wynnewood, Pa., from 1939 to 1958. He was a faculty member at Andover Newton Theological School in Newton Centre, Mass., from 1959 to 1969, and taught at the American Baptist Seminary of the West in Covina, Calif., from 1969 to 1974, when he returned to Eastern Baptist Seminary until his retirement in 1979. The school’s Culbert G. Rutenber Lectureship was established in his honor in 1992. During 1968-69, he served as president of the (then) American Baptist Convention. He was chair of the Council on Christian Social Progress and a member of the advisory committee for theological education, among many other denominational positions. Dr. Rutenber was active in several ecumenical organizations, including the Baptist World Alliance and the Baptist Joint Committee on Public Affairs. An outspoken advocate for Christian social activism and pacifism, during the 1960s he became active in the civil-rights movement, marching in the South and participating in the March on Washington with Dr. Martin Luther King. Dr. Rutenber invited Dr. King to speak twice at national gatherings for predominantly white American Baptists. While a pastor at Linden Baptist Church during the 1930s, Dr. Rutenber opened a dialogue with those in the socialist movement, learning about their concerns for justice and inviting them to attend his church. He was later an emissary for the American Baptist Churches to Communist countries, seeking to create a dialogue between Christianity and communism. Dr. Rutenber was a visiting professor and lecturer at numerous colleges and universities throughout the U.S. and abroad, and taught summer institutes at Princeton Theological Seminary, Yale Divinity School, and Union Theological Seminary. His books include The Dagger and the Cross, The Price and the Prize, The Reconciling Gospel, and The Doctrine of the Imitation of God in Plato. He also wrote Peace-keeping or Peace-making, a pamphlet for the Society of Friends. He was described as “one of the greatly respected voices in American Baptist life over many decades … Foremost an educator, he brought to teaching a truly relevant perspective that unconditionally connected the classroom to the needs and challenges of society.”

back to top

1946 | Elisabeth S. Birdsell Ed’46, Lansdale, Pa., July 4.

Dr. Edith M. Daly CW’46, Longmeadow, Mass., associate vice president emeritus of Hartwick College; March 13, 2002.

Vita Hurvitz Hochstadt PSW’46, Jamaica Plain, Mass., Aug. 18, 2002.

Dr. Frances W. Logan SW’46 SW’57 GrS’65, Greensboro, N.C., Oct. 23.

John W. McWilliams Jr. W’46, Philadelphia, retired vice president of the advertising firm of N. W. Ayer & Sons; Oct. 9. At Penn he had been president of the Mask & Wig Club. During the Second World War he served as a communications specialist on a U.S. Navy destroyer in the Pacific until 1945. He was an avid swing dancer and fan of big-band music, and according to his daughter he encouraged others to have fun by asking, “How many Saturday nights do you think you have left?”

Dr. William C. Owsley Jr. M’46 GM’50, Bedford, Tex., a retired physician; Nov. 26, 2001.

Wallace L. Schultz G’46, Line Lexington, Pa., March 31, 2002.

Everett J. Steinberg W’46, Irvington, N.Y., a retired textile industry executive; Aug. 8. One of his sons is Jeremy Steinberg W’78.

Bernice Oppenheim Von CW’46, McLean, Va., July 30.

back to top

1947 | Dr. G. William Burch GM’47, Tyler, Tex., a retired physician; April 14, 2002.

Hazel V. Clarke GEd’47, Washington, July 7.

Albert G. Driver L’47, Haddon Heights, N.J., a retired solicitor and director of Haddon Savings Bank; June 16, 2003.

Dr. Paul R. Dumke GM’47, Grosse Pointe, Mich., a retired physician; March 18, 1999.

Emily Ward Godsall Ed’47, King of Prussia, Pa., a nurse and nursing instructor at Temple University; Nov. 12. She worked as a nurse at Bryn Mawr Hospital and then privately. Following her retirement in 1991, she served two terms on the school board of Upper Merion, during which she initiated a college-scholarship program for students. She was a nurse at a U.S. military base hospital in Oklahoma during the Second World War.

Roy M. Good L’47, Newport Beach, Calif., a retired attorney who had worked for the law firm of Good, Patter & Wildeman; April 2003.

David R. Inge W’47, San Francisco, Dec. 19, 2001.

Anna Miller Magness Ed’47, Wilmington, Del., the CEO and owner of Magness Construction and the president and owner of Care Gift Baskets & Calligraphy; Aug. 15. An occupational therapist, she had been the director of the Delaware Curative Workshop in Wilmington. At Penn she was a member of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority.

back to top

1948 |Dr. Joseph R. Applegate G’48 Gr’55, Washington, distinguished professor emeritus of African studies at Howard University; Oct. 18. His parents operated a small boarding house in Wildwood, N.J., which was frequented by black entertainers, including Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong. His interest in linguistics developed when his family moved to South Philadelphia and he heard Italian and Yiddish spoken in his neighborhood. Dr. Applegate began his career at MIT in 1955, where he served as a linguist on the staff of the mechanical-translation project of the Research Laboratory of Electronics there, a loosely collaborative program between MIT and Penn. In 1956 he was appointed one of the first African-American faculty members at MIT, and became director of its new language laboratory in 1959. During his tenure he conducted research on language acquisition that described the phonology of a dialect spoken by children in a black family in Cambridge. The study, published in Word in 1961, is frequently cited by linguists as a classic of its kind. Dr. Applegate was an assistant professor of Berber languages at UCLA from 1960 to 1966. At Howard he was associate professor of linguistics from 1966 to 1969, director of the African studies and research program 1967-69, and professor of African studies from 1969 until his retirement in 2002. He led the successful effort to establish a Ph.D. program in African studies and research at Howard, which became the first educational institution in the country to offer the degree. Among his best-known publications is the chapter on Berber languages in AfroAsiatic: A Survey, published by Mouton.

James C. Bowen L’48, Sellersville, Pa., a retired attorney; May 28, 2002.

David N. Bressler C’48 L’52, Merion, Pa., a retired attorney; Nov. 8, 2002.

Dr. Julius Arch Colbrunn Jr. GM’48, Medford, Ore., a retired physician; July 29.

James D. Davis G’48, Sellersville, Pa., Dec. 3, 2001.

Edward N. DuBois WG’48, Golden, Colo., May 19, 2003.

Benjamin P. Feller Ed’48 GEd’49, Elizabethtown, Pa., Feb. 8, 2002.

Dr. Paul G. Haines Gr’48, Lafayette Hill, Pa., Sept. 25, 2001. He had worked for Elf Atochem North America, Inc.

Dr. T. Richard Houpt C’48 V’50, Ithaca, N.Y., emeritus professor of physiology at Cornell University’s College of Veterinary Medicine who also taught at Penn’s School of Veterinary Medicine for 20 years; Oct. 7. In 1953, he was part of the Duke Desert Expedition to Algeria, where the team discovered that a camel does not store water in its hump but saves water by allowing its body temperatures to rise and conserve nitrogen by recycling it, which led to his Ph.D. research at Penn on urea recycling in ruminants and horses. His travels in Lapland in 1960 investigated medical physiology in reindeer. At Cornell his research into the feeding physiology of ruminants and pigs discovered the source of the time-to-stop eating signal, causing him to comment that if humans ate like pigs, we would seldom overeat. He also worked at the Institute of Animal Physiology in Cambridge, U.K., in 1978 and 1986. Although retired from teaching, Dr. Houpt maintained an active research laboratory at Cornell until his death. He published over 60 scientific papers, as well as book chapters in Duke’s Physiology of Domestic Animals and other publications. He received Penn’s University’s Alumni Award of Merit for Teaching and Research in 2000. His wife is Katherine Albro Houpt V’63.

Dr. Laurence M. Linkner C’48, Glendale, Ariz., Sept. 9, 1999.

William R. Marran W’48, Vero Beach, Fla., June 14, 2003.

Esther Surman Pastor Ed’48 GEd’49, Jenkintown, Pa., July 4, 2002.

Samuel B. Shockley ME’48, Timonium, Md., Oct. 18, 2002.

back to top

1949 | Lillian E. Baines Ed’49, Pensacola, Fla., Sept. 13.

Dr. Robert L. Dickey GM’49, Salisbury, Md., a retired physician; July 23.

Alfred S. Feldman C’49, La Mesa, Calif., June 2000. He had worked for the Mitre Corporation in McLean, Va.

John A. Fitzgerald WG’49, Ridgefield, Conn., August 2003.

Dickran Y. Hovsepian CCC’49, Summerfield, Fla., the retired president of Montgomery County Council (Md.); Aug. 19.

Marvin Karbofsky WEv’49, Philadelphia, Sept. 19.

Fred Leopold III EE’49, Grosse Point Park, Mich., May 30, 2002. He had worked for Westinghouse Electric Corporation.

John M. Longenecker W’49, Longview, Tex., Nov. 30, 2002.

Richard H. Marvin GME’49, Glenside, Pa., July 10, 1999.

Leonard H. Monroe C’49, Mission Hills, Calif., a retired attorney; Aug. 17.

Dr. Harvey Neil Perlish C’49 Gr’68, Glenside, Pa., a broadcaster who combined the fields of radio and television announcing with early childhood education; Nov. 14. He began his career in broadcasting at age six, when he appeared on a local children’s radio program. Beginning in the 1940s, using the name “Neil Harvey,” he worked as an announcer and on-camera pitchman for Philadelphia’s radio and television station WFIL. Along with doing station identifications and commercials, he hosted his own television news show and created educational programming for WFIL-TV (now WPVI-TV) until the 1960s. “He believed that the medium of television could do much good,” said Lew Klein, former program director for the station. His children’s reading program, Wordland Workshop, was a precursor to Sesame Street. During the late 1950s, Dr. Perlish became associated with the Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential in Wyndmoor, leading to his doctorate in early childhood education and pediatric neurophysiology at the University. He served on the board of the Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential. And he was president of the World Organization for Human Potential. He had served in the U.S. Air Force and was a broadcaster for the American armed services during the Second World War.

Milton H. Shaw WEv’49, Warrington, Pa., a consultant; March 2, 2003.

Richard G. Shoulberg ME’49, North Wales, Pa., a retired project manager for the General Electric Co. in Philadelphia; November 1998.

Martin R. Swift W’49, Radnor, Pa., Sept. 20.

Dr. Chester M. Trossman GM’49, Palo Alto, Calif., a retired physician; Jan. 15, 2002.

Nona Woldow Wolf CW’49, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., March 16, 2001.

John E. Yeomans L’49, Devon, Pa., the general counsel for the Delaware River Port Authority from 1964 until his retirement; Aug. 25. He handled the legal planning for construction and rehabilitation projects of its four bridges and the Patco High-Speed line for nearly 25 years. And he had earlier served as solicitor of Delaware township in New Jersey from 1952 to 1958.

back to top

1950 | Dr. Louis C. W. Baker Gr’50, Washington, April 15, 2003.

Dr. Richard D. Bush GM’50, Buzzards Bay, Mass., a retired surgeon; May 1, 2001.

Dr. George B. Lemmon Jr. GM’50, Springfield, Mo., a retired physician; March 3, 2001.

Murray S. Monroe L’50, Cincinnati, an attorney with the law firm of Taft, Stettinius & Hollister; Sept. 2.

Dr. John C. Mutch M’50, Moorestown, N.J., a retired physician; Oct. 1.

Dr. Myron Volk GM’50, Naples, Fla., a retired physician; Aug. 6.

back to top

1951 |Horace M. Barba Jr. C’51, Chicago, July 11.

Irene P. Domogala DH’51, Bridgeport, Conn., Sept. 27, 1999.

Dr. Karl L. Gabriel C’51 V’56, Fort Washington, Pa., a retired veterinarian; July 21.

Dr. William H. Garner Jr. GM’51, New Albany, Ind., the retired chief of staff and chief of surgery at Floyd Memorial Hospital; Aug. 1.

Frank R. Jansson GEd’51, St. Augustine, Fla., June 3, 1998.

Jack E. Klein W’51, Wynnewood, Pa., Dec. 20, 2002. He had worked for Fishbein & Co., in Elkins Park.

Douglas G. Lovell Jr. WG’51, Newtown Square, Pa., a retired pharmaceutical executive who invented the name for the pain reliever Tylenol; Nov. 17. As a market-research director for NcNeil Laboratories in 1955, he devised the name from the drug’s chemical composition of N-acetyl-para-aminophenol. He later worked for the old Smith Kline & French. He was commissioner of the Pennsylvania Public Television Network from 1990 to 1998, and WHYY radio and television. During the 1960s he was president of the board of Philadelphia’s Theatre of the Living Arts. He had served on the board of the University’s Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.

Mildred Marchisello Ed’51, Haddonfield, N.J., Oct 1. At Penn she was a member of Kappa Delta sorority.

Joseph N. Ordile W’51, Boynton Beach, Fla., business administrator for the Atlantic City Board of Education until his retirement in 1987; Aug. 13. Active in various civic and community organizations, he specialized in helping college students obtain financial aid. He had served for the diplomatic service at the U.S. consulate in Palermo.

Robert F. Sabol WG’51, Boulder, Colo., Sept. 13, 2000.

Dr. Guido A. Vanni GM’51, Genoa, Italy, a retired physician; Oct. 20, 2001.

Stephen M. Wagner C’51, Philadelphia, a retired social worker for the Pennsylvania Department of Public Assistance; Sept. 10.

back to top

1952 | Joan G. Bowden NTS’52, Radnor, Pa., July 25, 1999.

William M. Curtis W’52, Mechanicsburg, Pa., March 30, 2002.

Michael L. Delehanty W’52, Monmouth Beach, N.J., a longtime advertising editor for the Macy Corporation, in charge of organizing its Thanksgiving Day Parade for many years; Oct. 3. In 1966 he received Macy’s first Rolly Award for outstanding performance in the execution of parade functions. He continued his career as a human resources executive with Macy until 1973, when he became senior vice president of human resources for Steinbach’s, in Asbury Park, N.J. He retired as a human-resources consultant in 1994. During the Korean War, he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army, retiring as a captain in 1965. At Penn he was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity and the Friars Senior Honor Society, as well as president of the Kite and Key Society in his senior year. His brother is James B. Delehanty C’52.

Richard Dermenjian WEv’52, Media, Pa., Aug. 20, 2002.

Helen Boyd Drabic NTS’52 Nu’52, Milford, Pa., a retired nurse for the Pike County Children and Youth Center; Feb. 21, 2002.

Edwin Fischer WEv’52, Wyncote, Pa., Sept. 2.

Dr. Lydia Fruchtman Gordon Ed’52 GEd’54 Gr’75, Cinnaminson, N.J., Aug. 21.

Nancy S. Howard FA’52, Beaufort, S.C., Oct. 20, 1999.

Dr. Ji Toong Ling GM’52, Louisville, Ky., a retired physician; Sept. 30.

Herbert N. Nase WEv’52, Telford, Pa., Jan. 13, 2003.

Dr. Lars S. Nilsson V’52, Naples, Fla., a retired veterinarian; Oct. 15. Following retirement, he volunteered at the Naples Community Hospital for 12 years.

Allan H. Pearlstein W’52, Baltimore, Sept. 4.

Dr. Joseph T. Riemer GM’52, Norristown, Pa., a retired physician; Dec. 16, 2002.

Dr. David Rosen Gr’52, Swarthmore, Pa., emeritus professor and former chair of mathematics at Swarthmore College; Aug. 24. On the faculty there for 35 years, he served as department chair from 1969 to 1976. In 1972 he was awarded a Fulbright fellowship to University College Cork in Ireland. Dr. Rosen published many articles on number theory and co-wrote three textbooks on calculus and probability. For over 50 years he played double bass in the Swarthmore College Orchestra; its autumn concert last year was dedicated to his memory. And he was on the board of Orchestra 2001, an ensemble that specializes in contemporary classical music.

back to top

1953 | Carlos R. Arnoldson C’53, Miami, April 6, 2003.

Elizabeth Atlee Baird Ed’53, Nantucket, Mass., Sept. 28.

Warren F. David G’53, Bryn Athyn, Pa., Aug. 19.

Dante Giuliani Jr. GEd’53, Vineland, N.J., a retired school principal; July 28.

Dr. John B. Martin Jr. D’53, Miami, a retired dentist; Jan. 12, 2002.

George W. Martyn Jr. W’53, West Chester, Pa., Sept. 24.

Robert D. Moore WEv’53, Dayton, Ohio, Sept. 16, 1999. He had worked for Derby Print and Copy.

Dr. Richard D. Murray GM’53, Girard, Ohio, a retired physician; May 20, 2002.

Richard B. Smith L’53, New York, a senior counsel in the law firm of Davis, Polk & Wardwell in New York who had served as a member of the Securities and Exchange Commission; Nov. 2. As an associate and later a partner at Reavis & McGrath, he was nominated in 1967 to fill a Republican vacancy on the SEC. During his tenure, he participated in a study of institutional investors that led to new disclosure rules. He was outspoken in his criticism of corporate-registration statements and prospectuses that, he said, “almost defy understanding by even the experienced investor.” He also favored negotiated, rather than fixed, commissions for large stock transactions, while supporting a strong central marketplace, such as the New York Stock Exchange. Following his resignation from the commission in 1971, he joined Davis, Polk & Wardwell as a partner. He served as chair of New York Mayor Edward I. Koch’s committee on taxi regulatory issues in 1981 and 1982. And more recently he was appointed to the national conference of commissioners on uniform state laws, serving from 1998 to 2002.

William N. Thomas GME’53, Philadelphia, a manager of the Hess Engineering Research Laboratory at Drexel University and an assistant professor of mechanical engineering there from 1988 until his retirement in 1998; Oct. 13. From the late 1950s until 1975, he worked as a design engineer and systems analyst engineer at the Philadelphia Navy Base, General Electric Co., and Boeing Vertol Co. He was also an engineering consultant with several other firms.

Michael A. Walsh C’53, Flourtown, Pa., a media director for advertising companies in Philadelphia for over 40 years; Sept. 8. He was working for Lewis Gilman & Kynett, now Tierney Communications, when he retired in 1994. He then began a career in real estate, working with his wife, Margaret O’Rourke Walsh WEv’94, a realtor at Prudential, Fox, and Roach in Blue Bell. He was a board member of the Kynett Memorial Foundation and the Keystone Hospice in Wyndmoor. At Penn he was a member of Zeta Psi fraternity and later served on its Philadelphia board. As a fan of the University’s football team, he made attending games a family tradition.

back to top

1954 | John D. Eidson CCC’54, Bensalem, Pa., May 14, 2003.

Joseph C. Graf WG’54, Denver, the retired executive director of the Cullen Foundation of Houston; Sept. 15. He also served as a director of several boards in Texas, including the Legacy Trust Company of Houston and the Alamo Group, Inc., of San Antonio. He was a former president of the Houston Society of Financial Analysts, the former vice president and director of the Center for the Retarded, Inc., and the former director of the Alley Theater of Houston. And he had been director of the Wharton Club of Houston. Following his retirement to Denver, he became a Stephens Minister of Cherry Hills Community Church.

Dr. Jonathan A. Hammond GM’54, New Hope, Pa., a retired physician; Aug. 20, 2001.

William A. James WEv’54, Oceanside, Calif., the manager of internal audit at the Budd Company of Philadelphia for 42 years, until his retirement in 1979; Aug. 16.

Ruth Moore Jefferis CW’54, Wayne, Pa., Nov. 27, 2002.

Barbara Belfield Keenan CW’54, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., a frequent exhibitor at the Philadelphia Flower Show, where she was known for her miniature arrangements and pressed plant designs; Nov. 11. At Penn she was captain of the women’s swimming team and president of Delta Gamma sorority. An active volunteer at Abington Memorial Hospital, she was a longtime member of its women’s board, chair of the June Fete, and for many years, chair of its Abby’s Thrift Shop. She had been president of Old York Road and Huntingdon Valley Garden clubs. And she was a charter member of the International Pressed Flower Art Society.

Robert E. Koppe WEv’54, Philadelphia, Sept. 26, 1998. He had retired from Conrail, Inc.

Joseph Nagy WEv’54, Lock Haven, Pa., March 14, 2003. He had been employed at Lock Haven State College.

Anne Zemond Roberts Nu’54, King of Prussia, Pa., a retired school nurse; Sept. 5. She began her career as a psychiatric nurse at the old Institute of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia, then served as a school nurse at West Philadelphia High School. In 1971 she became the nurse for the newly opened University City High School. During the Second World War, she obtained the rank of captain as a U.S. Army nurse in France, where she cared for soldiers suffering from what was then called ‘battle fatigue’ but is now known as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, following the D-Day invasion. She was a gifted gardener, such that, as friend noted, “professional horticulturists would stop and take photos of her moonflowers.”

Dr. Deborah Levy Seliger CW’54, Cherry Hill, N.J., Dec. 8, 2002. Her son is Jonathan L. Seliger C’91.

Dr. James S. Williams C’54, Savannah, Ga., a retired physician; Sept. 16. He established an undergraduate scholarship fund at Penn. One of his sons is Alexander D. Williams WG’95.

Dr. John David Winchester D’54, Greenwich, Conn., a dentist in Greenwich for 25 years; Nov. 11.

back to top

1955 | Richard T. Collings WEv’55, Hammonton, N.J., Sept. 4.

Dr. Mary Futrell Eggers GM’55, Columbia, Mo., a retired physician; Nov. 11, 2000.

Edward L. Harker ME’55, Wilmington, Del., July 11.

Robert J. Lucas CCC’55, Salem, Ore., Jan. 9, 2002.

Barbara S. McDaniel CW’55, Haverford, Pa., Sept. 15.

Bertram S. Murphy L’55, Williamsport, Pa., an attorney with the law firm of Murphy, Butterfield & Holland, until his retirement in 2000; Aug. 1. He had also worked as for the firm of Thomas Wood. He was a solicitor for the Montoursville School Board, and he served on the boards of Wachovia Bank and the Montoursville Cemetery. In later years he became active in business and real estate development in southeastern North Carolina, where he also lived.

Serafin Pabon Rodriguez WG’55, San Juan, P.R., June 1, 2003.

Walter E. Schmid C’55, Carbondale, Ill., July 31, 2002.

Daniel W. Tracy C’55, Lansdale, Pa., the owner of Devon Stratford Corporation in Uwchland; Jan. 17, 2001.

back to top

1956 | Daniel B. Cunningham II W’56, New Port Richey, Fla., July 29, 2002.

Dr. Elizabeth Atwood Lawrence V’56, Westport, Mass., professor emeritus of veterinary medicine at Tufts University; Nov. 12. She established and operated a veterinary practice in Westport until 1979, when she joined the faculty at Tufts. A course she developed in human-animal interactions served as a model for veterinary schools across the country. As one of the leading scholars on the relationship between humans and animals, Dr. Lawrence received the first International Distinguished Scholar Award of the International Association of Human-Animal Interaction Organization in 1989. Her books include Rodeo: An Anthropologist Looks at the Wild and the Tame, which received the American Anthropological Association’s James Mooney Award; Hoofbeats and Society: Studies of Human-Horse Interaction; and Hunting the Wren: Transformation of Bird to Symbol. In 1993, the American Veterinary History Society awarded Dr. Lawrence its Distinguished Service Award. She was named Outstanding Woman Veterinarian of the Year by the American Veterinary Medicine Association in 1988, among other awards. Active in numerous professional and civic organizations, she was also the former chair of the admissions committee for the Tufts veterinary school.

Lillian P. Lempka CW’56, Van Nuys, Calif., Sept. 1.

Raymond H. Oakes CE’56, Carlsbad, Calif., Sept. 8.

James A. B. Pinney GEE’56, Savannah, Ga., March 9, 2003.

Dr. Frederick William Weyter C’56, Hamilton, N.Y., emeritus professor of biology at Colgate University; Oct. 22.

back to top

1957 | William C. Doughten W’57, Aberdeen, N.C., president of Lifestyle Homes of Pinehurst; Nov. 1999.

Clara Shaw Marsh Nu’57, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., the retired coordinator of health services for the Council Rock school district; Oct. 6. She worked as a nurse at Episcopal Hospital in Philadelphia, and then at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. In the 1970s, she became a school nurse for the districts of Abington and then Council Rock, where she served as the health-services coordinator for 10 years, until her retirement in 1990. She was recording secretary and treasurer of the Abington chapter of PEO, a women’s philanthropic and educational organization.

Massie E. Odiotti W’57, Northbrook, Ill., Nov. 6, 2002.

Rosalie B. Robin GEd’57, Allentown, Pa., a teacher in the Philadelphia school system for 35 years, until her retirement in 1983; July 2. She also worked in Robin’s Bookstores in Philadelphia, of which her husband was an owner. During the early 1960s she joined her husband’s family in an unsuccessful court challenge to keep Henry Miller’s novel, Tropic of Cancer, on the bookshelves. In recent years they also lost another case that challenged child-access laws.

Evelyn Feldman Swimmer FA’57 GLA’82, Swarthmore, Pa., Aug. 31. Her husband is Alan N. Swimmer W’49.

back to top

1958 | John A. Earl Ar’58, Alexandria, Va., July 8.

Richard B. Evans GEd’58, Souderton, Pa., Oct. 28, 2001.

Irving Horn GEE’58, Potomac, Md., Oct. 6, 2002.

Harriet Jekofsky Katz CW’58, Glen Cove, N.Y., Aug. 24. Her son is Joel A. Katz C’91.

Jeffrey A. Salzberg W’58, Rockville Center, N.Y., a retired vice president in the New York office of Janney Montgomery Scott, Inc.; Dec. 6, 2002.

back to top

1959 | Daisy A. Bell Nu’59, Flourtown, Pa., Aug. 26.

Lorraine Mauriel Feit OT’59, Livermore, Calif., Dec. 2, 2002.

Judson I. Noble G’59, Bethany, Pa., Aug. 20.

back to top

1960 | Dr. Henry I. Babitt C’60, Baltimore, a cardiologist who had maintained a practice for many years; April 3, 2002. His wife is Janice Laub Babitt CW’65, and two of his daughters are Dr. Karen L. Babitt C’92 W’92 and Dr. Jodie L. Babitt C’94.

Daniel E. Crump W’60, Blue Bell, Pa., Nov. 21.

Dr. Joseph C. Gottsch GM’60, Prairie Village, Kan., a physician; Aug. 21.

Peter D. S. Parkinson G’60, Wayne, Pa., a former physics lecturer at the University; Sept. 28. He began as an investigator in 1959, and was promoted to research specialist in 1964. He was a lecturer in physics and supervisor of the undergraduate and graduate physics laboratories from 1960 to 1980. While at Penn, he co-edited several editions of the undergraduate laboratory manual. In 1980 he became supervisor of the laser physics laboratory at General Electric Aerospace (now Lockheed Martin), where he worked until his retirement in 1999. His wife is Terri Swantic Parkinson CW’73 SW’78.

back to top

1961 | James O. Brown G’61, State College, Pa., Feb. 9, 2003.

Charles R. Cox M’61, Folcroft, Pa., Aug. 25, 2002.

Dr. Joseph S. Hansen V’61, Glenolden, Pa., a retired veterinarian; Oct. 9.

Catherine T. Mohan GrEd’61, Pasadena, Md., July 11, 1999.

Patricia Lynch Smith CW’61, New York, Oct. 3.

back to top

1962 | Beulah F. Ernst Nu’62, Reading, Pa., Aug. 9.

Charles J. Hughes GEE’62, Hilton Head, S.C., July 14, 2002.

back to top

1963 | William N. Levy C’63 L’66, Voorhees, N.J., an attorney; Sept. 26. His son is Jason M. Levy C’04.

Mary S. Tower G’63, Hammonton, N.J., April 6, 2003.

back to top

1964 | Russell J. Hardiman ME’64, Emmaus, Pa., a sales manager for the Neapco Company in Pottstown; May 18, 2003.

Beth Elgot Kline CW’64, Bloomfield, Conn., May 27, 2001.

Dr. Rosalind S. Schulman Gr’64, Philadelphia, Aug. 15, 2002.

back to top

1965 | Dr. Robert E. Gurley G’65 Gr’79, Elkton, Md., Aug. 27.

Maurita F. Jaycox GEd’65, Hatfield, Pa., June 21, 1998.

Parthenia L. Twisdale GEd’65, Philadelphia, Oct. 7.

W. Baine Yates SW’65, Salisbury, Md., Sept. 28.

back to top

1966 | Dr. Earl Frederick Barrick M’66, McLean, Va., a physician who had worked with the Fairfax Regional Trauma Center; April 15, 2003.

William P. Kiriloff GCE’66, Richboro, Pa., July 3, 2002.

Robert M. Rosenblum L’66, Stroudsburg, Pa., an attorney who specialized in criminal defense for controversial clients; Aug. 30. He began his career as counsel to the Judiciary Committee of the U.S. House of Representatives under a Ford Foundation grant. He then practiced law, first in Philadelphia and then in the Poconos, where he moved in 1978. During his 37-year career, he worked in seven foreign countries and 20 states, and assisted American citizens in being released from foreign prisons. He was a board member of the Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. In 2001 he received an Outstanding Advocacy Award for cases he pursued through the appellate process.

back to top

1967 | Jonathan P. Chester W’67, San Diego, a tax attorney and the owner of Limousines By Linda, a transportation service; Sept. 5. He was a board member of the National Taxicab, Limousine, and Paratransit Association, and was honored as its Limousine and Sedan Services Operator of the Year in 2000. He was also an instructor in federal income and gift taxation at California Western School of Law.

George O. DeBolt Jr. G’67, Drexel Hill, Pa., July 11, 2000. He worked for the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

Irwin Garber GEE’67, Murrysville, Pa., March 16, 2003.

Charles F. Luscombe Jr. C’67, Willow Grove, Pa., Sept. 3, 2001.

Dr. Enzo U. Orvieto Gr’67, Deltona, Fla., Dec. 28, 2001.

back to top

1968 | George E. Husted WEv’68, Springfield, Pa., Feb. 22, 2003.

David E. Kevis GEd’68, Wyndmoor, Pa., Feb. 27, 2003.

Loren William Sharron C’68, Somerville, Mass., Aug. 13. At Penn he was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. His brothers are Parker Sharron W’64 WG’71 and Mark Sharron W’68. His nephew is Matthew Sharron C’95 and his niece is Meghan Sharron C’98.

back to top

1969 | George R. Juncker G’69, South Orange, N.J., Sept. 13.

Dr. George O. Phillips Sr. GrEd’69, Jamaica, N.Y., Oct. 9.

Harry H. Snellenburg Jr. G’69, Haverford, Pa., Jan. 17, 1999.

back to top

1970 | Dr. Gordon P. Buzby Jr. C’70 M’74 GM’80, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., an attending surgeon at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania since 1981 and director of its surgical-residency program since 2001; Oct. 31. He sailed as an undergraduate at Penn, achieving All American status for three consecutive years. In addition to surgery, Dr. Buzby was an expert on nutritional support for cancer patients, leading to a landmark study of the use of total nutrition in surgical patients. He had written over 100 publications on improving the nutrition of critically ill people. Dr. Larry R. Kaiser, chair of surgery at Penn, said he selected Dr. Buzby for the surgical-residency directorship because “he was greatly admired by the residents … One of the things Gordon did better than anybody was balance his professional life with his personal life and they admired him for that.” Dr. Buzby’s father was Gordon P. Buzby C’40 V’42; and one of his daughters is Sarah L. Buzby L’06. The Gordon P. Buzby Surgical Leadership Fund has been established in his memory at the University.

back to top

1971 | Catherine M. Heslin CW’71, Norristown, Pa., the owner of Heslin Information Services; Dec. 25, 2002.

Gordon E. Williams WG’71, Greenville, S.C., September. His wife is Nancy Sowell Williams PT’70.

back to top

1972 | Dr. Betty Gavrilles Allen GEd’72, Georgetown, Mass., the superintendent of Danvers public schools in Massachusetts; Sept. 17.

back to top

1973 | Karin I. Henrikson CW’73, Sterling, Va., Aug. 29.

Leslie F. Kidd L’73, Tacoma, Wash., an attorney; March 2, 2001.

back to top

1974 | Lawrence V. Fagnoni W’74, Plano, Tex., Nov. 16, 2001. He had been a manager of the Prudential Insurance Co. of America in Newark, N.J.

George L. Roguski G’74, Holyoke, Mass., June 12, 2003.

Michael Wilf C’74 CGS’01, Wynnewood, Pa., an insurance broker; Sept. 16. His wife is Marcia Melzer Wilf CW’75.

back to top

1975 | Dr. Manuel Darkatsh GrEd’75, Philadelphia, Dec. 9, 2000.

Dr. Alan R. Grossman C’75 M’79 GM’83, Maple Glen, Pa., an obstetrician-gynecologist who also served as senior surgeon in the obstetrics and gynecology department at Abington Memorial Hospital; Oct. 12. His wife is Lynne Tootchen Grossman NTS’77.

Henry M. Sage Jr. C’75, New York, March 8, 2003.

back to top

1976 | Joan Calisto CGS’76, Philadelphia, Sept. 18, 2001.

Dr. Edmund F. Konczakowski Gr’76, Delray Beach, Fla., June 22, 2003.

Emily J. Bauhof Lysinger G’76, Brooklyn, N.Y., Jan. 15, 2002.

Dr. Susan Sheets Pyenson Gr’76, Montreal, Aug. 18, 1998.

back to top

1977 | Dr. Roman Alvarez Gr’77, Moorhead, Minn., an associate professor of languages at Moorhead State University; Sept. 10.

back to top

1978 | Cynthia Skonieczny NTS’78, Indianapolis, May 23, 2002.

Theodore G. Zacharatos WEv’78, Royal Oak, Mich., March 10, 2003.

back to top

1979 | Dr. Daniel G. Caldi M’79, Annapolis, Md., a physician; Sept. 17, 2002.

Ralph R. Day WG’79, Ridgefield, Conn., director of strategic planning at Crompton Corporation (formerly Witco Corporation); July 24. After beginning his career at Uniroyal, he joined American Cyanamid International in New Jersey, where he was a planning manager, assistant marketing manager, and product manager. He was also business development and marketing manager for Cyanamid Far East in Hong Kong, where he managed special chemical business in China, Thailand, and Bermuda. In 1991, he became director of business development and new business ventures at Allied Signal and participated in acquisition and reorganization of the company and managing new product introduction programs. He joined Witco as the director of strategic planning in 1998. At Penn he was a founding member of the Wharton Rugby Club.

Holly R. Gustafson WG’79, Reisterstown, Md., a certified public accountant; Aug. 13.

Susan L. Strauss-Zerby C’79, Seattle, March 5, 2003.

back to top

1980 | Dr. Carol D. Cucchi GrEd’80, Media, Pa., Sept. 7, 2002.

back to top

1982 | Richard G. Gilmore Sr. WG’82, Sarasota, Fla., finance director in the administration of Philadelphia Mayor W. Wilson Goode Sr. WG’69 Hon’84; Sept. 19. A former executive vice president with the old Girard Bank, he was a deputy administrator for the Philadelphia school district from 1966 to 1971. “Dick was a quiet but powerful force in the worlds of banking, education, and business. He paved the way for young people of color to realize their dreams,” said Mayor Goode.

Cynthia R. Lurio SW’82, Merion, Pa., Nov. 16, 2002.

back to top

1983 | Dr. Cynthia A. Berardi V’83, Parkland, Fla., a veterinarian; Sept. 29.

Dr. Patricia A. Gibbons GM’83, Uniontown, Ohio, Aug. 7, 2002.

Sandra Bertelsen Gilbert WG’83, Lambertville, N.J., 2002. Her husband is Stephen W. Gilbert GCP’82 WG’82.

back to top

1984 | Dr. Stephen P. Butler V’84, Greenville, Del., proprietor of the Centreville, Branmar, and Talleyville Veterinary hospitals, who was voted Best Veterinarian of Delaware in 2003 by Delaware Today magazine; Oct. 20. He practiced with his father, Dr. William F. Butler Jr. V’56, until his death in 1995, then continued in his own practice. Active in Canine Partners for Life, Dr. Butler also served on the board of alumni advisors for the Penn’s Veterinary School. He was recently featured in an article by the Delaware Humane Association’s article, “The Legacy Lives On,” about his and his father’s veterinary work.

Br. Lawrence J. Colhocker GrEd’84, Philadelphia, an associate professor at LaSalle University; Oct. 12, 2002.

Dr. Sharon E. Murray V’84, Bourne, Mass., a veterinarian; Sept. 25.

Terry A. Zobel W’84, Plantation, Fla., Sept. 28.

back to top

1985 | Cynthia F. Fader Nu’85 GNu’89, Lawrenceville, N.J., Oct. 24, 2002.

Dr. Stephen L. Heater GrEd’85, Greenville, N.C., July 2, 2002. He had worked for Allied Health of Eastern Carolina.

back to top

1986 | Dr. Lindsay F. Watton III G’86 Gr’91, Rhinecliff, N.Y., Aug. 16, 2002.

back to top

1987 | Mary L. Gilbert G’87, Princeton, N.J., a human-resources officer for the New Jersey Division of Mental Health; April 20, 2003.

Marta D. Rozankowskyj C’87, New York, Dec. 29, 2002.

back to top

1989 | Daniel Anthony Miranda EAS’89, San Jose, Calif., September 2001. He worked for Synopsys in Mountain View.

back to top

1990 | Ron L. McDaniel WG’90, New York, October 2003.

Susan E. Vasbinder GEd’90, Elkins Park, Pa., March 12, 2002.

1991 | Harold A. Blount SW’91, Philadelphia, Pa., Nov. 11.

back to top

1995 | Sofia Perrino G’95 Gr’03, Miami, August 14.

Dr. Kevin James Sheehan Gr’95, Takoma Park, Md., March 24, 2002.

back to top

1996 | James H. Gilliam Jr. WAM’96, Wilmington, Del., a corporate attorney and investor, civic leader, and the first African-American cabinet secretary in Delaware; Aug. 20. He began his career as an attorney for a New York law firm and then was with the Wilmington firm of Richards, Layton & Finger. In 1977 he was appointed state secretary of community affairs and economic development. He served on the judicial-nominating commission and chaired the court-resources task force on increasing efficiency in the courts’ administrative offices. In 1979 he joined Beneficial Finance Corporation, and was executive president and general counsel there until it was acquired by Household International Corporation in 1998. James Gilliam remained at Household as a director, serving on the board’s finance committee, until its acquisition by HSBC Holdings Plc. in March 2003. He was then chief counsel of Knickerbocker LLC, a private investment firm. He was a trustee of the Hodson Trust, a charitable foundation for Maryland colleges; the Howard Hughes Medical Institute; and the National Geographic Society. He served as a director of the CTW Foundation and had been a board member of numerous civic, educational, and community institutions. He was chair of the Delaware Chamber of Commerce (1987-88) and Wilmington (2000), now the Wilmington Renaissance Corporation. James M. Baker, mayor of Wilmington, said of James Gilliam, “had the ability to relate to such a vast array of sectors of our city, from the minority community to the business community to the governmental community. It didn’t matter about race or all the ‘isms’ that people would get caught up in. Poor, rich, it didn’t matter … And he was willing to work behind the scenes. He didn’t need the ‘out front’ glory.” In 2000, James Gilliam honored his parents by donating $1.5 million for a performing arts center at Morgan State University in Baltimore. His wife is Dr. Linda J. Gilliam D’89.

back to top

1997 | Kathleen Jennings-Dozier Gr’97, Lawnside, N.J., May 16, 2002.

1998 | James A. Karns G’98, Broomall, Pa., Jan. 10, 2002.

John P. Rappolt CGS’98, Philadelphia, Jan. 23, 2003

back to top

1999 | Micaela M. J. Nechkin Woodbridge G’99, North Granby, Conn., a corporate communications specialist at Aetna Life & Casualty for 15 years; Oct. 2. She played piano, string bass, guitar, and fiddle. As part of her masters in art history from Penn, she traveled to England, France, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, Crete, Italy, and Greece.

2000 | Melissa Labrusciano CGS’00, Philadelphia, April 25, 2000.

back to top

James V. Saporito G’00, Santa Monica, Calif., a doctoral candidate in history at the University; Sept. 3. He had completed the coursework towards his Ph.D. and had recently returned from a year in France, while working on the dissertation, in modern European intellectual history. He received the Dean’s Award for Distinguished Teaching by a Graduate Student in 2001. His adviser, Dr. Warren Breckman, called him “an exceptionally gifted teacher.”

back to top

2003 | Lissa Myers Davenport GEd’03, Philadelphia, a kindergarten teacher at Ardmore Avenue School in Lansdowne, Pa., for 19 years; Nov. 16. A mother whose children had been in her classes said of her, “Her students were her passion … they flocked to her.”

back to top

Faculty & Staff

Dr. Derk Bodde, Philadelphia, emeritus professor of Chinese Studies; Nov. 3. He joined the faculty at Penn as an instructor in 1938 and became a professor of Chinese Studies in 1950, retiring in 1975, after 37 years. During the Second World War he served first with the Office of Strategic Services and later with the Office of War Information, while returning to the University to lecture students in the Army special-training program on China. He spent 1948-49 in Beijing as the first Fulbright scholar, and observed the passage of power from the Nationalist government to the Communists. A journal he kept during that time became the book Peking Diary: A Year of Revolution (1950), and is considered one of the best eyewitness accounts of the Communist takeover. Dr. Bodde was known as an expert on the Qin dynasty of the late third century BCE and as the translator of Fung Yu-lan’s History of Chinese Philosophy, which was published in two volumes by Princeton University Press, in 1934 and 1953. Among his other books are Tolstoy and China and Chinese Thought, Society and Science, his final work, published by the University of Hawaii Press in 1991. He also wrote nearly 200 articles and reviews on many areas of Chinese philosophy, society, history, and religion. In 1980-81, he taught at Georgetown University as a distinguished visiting professor. Dr. Bodde was a former president of the American Oriental Society, and received the Distinguished Scholar Award from the Association of Asian Studies in 1995, in which was cited a line from the Analects of Confucius: “Assiduous in the Pursuit of Learning; Tireless in the Teaching of Others.”

Frank J. Bowden Jr. See Class of 1945.

Russell C. Burkholder. See Class of 1934.

Dr. Gordon P. Buzby Jr. See Class of 1970.

Dr. Louis R. Dinon. See Class of 1945.

Dr. Gabriel J. Gasic, Longview, Tex., professor emeritus of pathology; Nov. 1. Born into a family of goat herders in Punta Arenas, Chile, he worked in biological and oncological research, particularly in the area of leukemia, there for 18 years, before joining the faculty at Penn in 1965. His son Vladimir remembered that in Chile his father “often paid for the care and the burial of leukemia patients.” After retiring from Penn in 1982, Dr. Gasic worked in cancer research at Pennsylvania Hospital until 1992.

Dr. Mary Morris Heiberger, Philadelphia, associate director of career services at the University, where she had worked since 1976; Nov. 11. She was instrumental in the development and administration of the alternative careers program for doctorates, which ran from 1980 to 1984. Dr. Heiberger co-wrote, with Julia Miller Vick G’84, The Academic Job Search Handbook (now in its third edition) and The Graduate School Funding Handbook, both published by the Penn Press. She also co-wrote a monthly “Career Talk” column for the online edition of The Chronicle of Higher Education. In 1988 Dr. Heiberger helped found (again with Julia Vick) the Graduate Career Consortium, which brings together career services professionals and encourages educational institutions to offer career services programs. And she served on the board of Sciences Next Wave and on the advisory board of the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation’s “Re-Envisioning the Ph.D.” initiative.

Dr. T. Richard Houpt. See Class of 1948.

Peter D. S. Parkinson. See Class of 1960.

Alphonsus R. Romeika. See Class of 1942.

Dr. Franklin L. Rutberg. See Class of 1934.

Dr. John H. Stine. See Class of 1934.

Dr. Andre C. Vauclain. See Class of 1930.

back to top

 

2004 The Pennsylvania Gazette
Last modified 02/27/04

 

 

Notifications

Please send notifications of death of alumni directly to:
Alumni Records
University of Pennsylvania
3451 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

<
record@ben.dev.upenn.edu>

Newspaper obits are appreciated.