1928
John W. Jackson W’28,
San Rafael, Calif., April 20, 2006. He was 100 years old at his death.

1932
Eleanor Stevens Bohmer Ed’32,
Colorado Springs, Colo., July 29. At Penn she was a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, and celebrated her 80th anniversary in 2009.

1934
Dr. Sidney N. Zubrow C’34,
Philadelphia, a retired physician at the Pennsylvania Hospital and faculty member in the School of Medicine; Jan. 9. Early in his career he had maintained his own practice and then served with the U.S. Army Medical Corps in North Africa during World War II. His experiences as a Jewish soldier on the battlefields were later made into a documentary titled From Philadelphia to the Front. He joined Pennsylvania Hospital as an admitting physician in 1954; known as a skilled diagnostician, Dr. Zubrow taught clinical skills. In 1974 he became an associate professor of clinical medicine in Penn’s School of Medicine. He and his late wife established the Molly and Sidney Zubrow Award in the early 1980s to highlight humanism in medicine; the Molly and Sidney Zubrow Lecture series continues at Pennsylvania Hospital and an auditorium there is named in their honor. After retiring in the mid-1990s, he continued to teach listening skills to young doctors at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. His daughters are Betsy Z. Cohen L’66, who is married to Edward E. Cohen C’59 L’65, and Dr. Diane Z. Sand Gr’72, whose husband is Michael A. Sand C’63 L’66. Dr. Zubrow’s grandchildren include Jonathan Z. Cohen C’92, whose wife is Julia Bennett Pershan WG’01; Jay Philip Sand C’94; and Marc S. Sand C’97 GEd’02.

1936
Jack S. Birnbaum W’36, Manlius, N.Y., Oct. 14, 2008.

Sidney M. Cohn WEv’36,
Philadelphia, Aug. 31. His son is Dr. John R. Cohn C’72, whose wife is Sherry Brisk Cohn SW’75; two of their sons are Benjamin M. Cohn W’02 and Joshua A. Cohn C’05.

1937
Dr. Robert H. Linn C’37 GM’48, Elizabethtown, Pa., a retired physician who maintained a practice in Pottstown; Jan. 30. During World War II he served as a captain in the U.S. Army, 1st Armored Division.

Peter T. Lomenzo W’37,
La Cañada Flintridge, Calif., Nov. 23. He was retired from Arco, where he had worked for 50 years. At Penn he was a member of the crew team. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army in the Pacific, attaining the rank of major; he was awarded a Bronze Star.

John A. Margolis W’37,
Dayton, Ohio, former vice president of the Metropolitan Clothing Co. and owner of D.H. Peer Ltd.; Jan. 14. During World War II he served as a captain in the U.S. Army in Africa and Europe.

1938
Howard E. Friend WEv’38, Middletown, Pa., retired president of the Philadelphia Bindery Company; Nov. 1.

Vera Taplinger Sloane Ed’38, Gloucester, Mass., Oct. 28.

1939
Dr. Wilson C. Everhart M’39,
Mechanicsburg, Pa., a retired obstetrician-gynecologist Dec. 21. During World War II he served as a surgeon in the U.S. Army.

Matthew S. McLaughlin W’39, San Diego, retired vice president of Ford’s North American automotive operations and marketing staff; Dec. 15. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army in Europe.

Virginia Lockwood Robinson Ed’39 GEd’41, Eugene, Ore., Jan. 10.

BACK TO TOP


 1940
John C. Alexander W’40, Gloucester, Mass., co-founder of the Beacon Marine Basin, Inc.; Dec. 6. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy as a squadron commander aboard the U.S.S. Independence.

Doris Heiss Buchholz CW’40,
Skippack, Pa., Dec. 24. At Penn she was a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority.

Eva Flynn Fidler Ed’40 GEd’42,
Southampton, Pa., Nov. 29.

1941
Joseph C. Bender G’41, Bothell, Wash., a retired teacher at Kamehameha Schools and Mid-Pacific Institute in Hawaii; Dec. 2.

Dr. Mary Lanning Burke CW’41 Gr’55,
Delray Beach, Fla., a retired biochemist for the Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami; Sept. 10.

Lt. Col. John E. Cifranic W’41,
Redding, Calif., Nov. 11.

Harold M. Weaver Jr. W’41,
Williamsburg, Va., a retired senior vice president at Citicorp; Nov. 11. At Penn he won a varsity letter in squash. During World War II he served in the U.S. Merchant Marine, becoming master of a T-2 tanker.

Blanche B. Wenzel CW’41,
Long Tree, Colo., Feb. 7, 2008. After serving in the Red Cross in Africa during World War II, she was an officer in the U.S. Army’s Counter-Intelligence Corps during the Korean War, serving in Japan and Washington.

1942
Philip J. Braun W’42, Flint, Mich., Dec. 9. He worked in the insurance business from 1937 until his retirement in 1984. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army’s 436th Anti-Aircraft battalion, attaining the rank of captain.

Kenneth H. Kardon W’42, Clifton Heights, Pa., retired manufacturer of paper boxes; Dec. 1. During World War II he served with the U.S. Navy in the Atlantic and the Pacific.

Joseph C. Wolf W’42, Nashville, Tenn., Oct. 19, 2007. During World War II he served as a captain in the U.S. Army Air Transport Command.

1943
Dr. William W. McCune M’43, Morrisville, Vt., a retired obstetrician-gynecologist; Feb. 1, 2009. During World War II he served as a physician with the U.S. Navy in Europe and the Pacific.

Julian E. Roseth W’43, Highland Park, Ill., Oct. 26.

Edward F. Ryan W’43, Short Hills, N.J., a retired director and chief financial officer of Merrill Lynch; Dec. 26. At Wharton he was president of his class, a member of Sigma Chi fraternity and of Mask & Wig, and he received the Spoon Award. During World War II he served in the U.S. Marine Corps as a night fighter pilot who participated in the Okinawa campaign and the occupation of Japan, for which he was awarded two Distinguished Flying Crosses and seven Air Medals.

1944
Eduardo F. Catalano GAr’44,
Cambridge, Mass., a retired architect who had taught at North Carolina State University and at MIT; Jan. 28. His designs include the Juilliard School of Music and a number of U.S. embassies overseas.

Dr. Alan A. Creamer C’44 V’48, Bath, N.Y., the retired director of laboratory resources at Merck Pharmaceutical; Jan. 4. He also taught at Harcum College and Hahneman Hospital. During World War II he served as a medic.

Marvin J. Kirsten W’44, New York, a retired manufacturer of men’s clothing; Jan. 15. During World War II he served as a photographer with Merrill’s Marauders of the U.S. Army Rangers in Burma.

Dr. Irwin T. Mancall M’44 GM’48, West Hartford, Conn., Dec. 16.

Dr. Marvin J. Silverman C’44,
Broomall, Pa., retired chief pharmacist of the Small and Large Animal hospitals at Penn’s School of Veterinary Medicine; Dec. 18. He served as an instructor in pharmacy for the Vet School, 1953-8. He left the University for a time but returned in 1966 as a pharmacist for the Small Animal Hospital. In 1968 he became pharmacist for the Large Animal Hospital at the New Bolton Center, and chief pharmacist of the two hospitals in 1972, a position he held until retiring in 1985. While at Penn Dr. Silverman served on a number of professional committees; he published in professional journals and wrote a formulary for the Small Animal Hospital that was revised yearly from 1966 to 1982. His daughters are Donna Silverman Rich C’81 and Beth Silverman Hymowitz W’82.

Dr. George G. Stewart D’44, Haverford, Pa., emeritus professor of endodontics in the School of Dental Medicine; Nov. 23. A prominent member of the endodontic faculty since 1947, he co-founded (with the late Dr. Louis I. Grossman D’23 Hon’78) the Penn postdoctoral endodontic program. A charter member of the American Association of Endodontists, he was president 1958-9. Prior to coming to Penn, he served on the faculty at UCLA. Dr. Stewart did pioneering work in the use of antibiotics in root-canal therapy, and helped develop new instruments for bleaching discolored, pulpless teeth. He was honored with the Dental School’s Alumni Award of Merit in 1988.

1945
Eugene Cohen W’45, Newtonville, Mass., retired vice president of merchandising at H. Rothstein & Co.; Nov. 29. During World War II he served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in the Philippines.

John R. Klotz C’45,
Kennett Square, Pa., Jan. 12. At Penn he was a member of the crew and lacrosse teams. During World War II he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

Dr. Virginia Craemer Oler CW’45 M’49 GM’53,
Bethesda, Md., a retired physician with the District of Columbia Department of Public Health; Jan. 21. At Penn she earned varsity letters in field hockey, basketball, and lacrosse.

Dr. Robert E. Platner D’45,
Naples, Fla., a retired dentist; Feb. 12. He served in the U. S. Army during World War II and as a captain in the Army Dental Corps during the Korean War.

Thomas H. Quinn W’45,
Olean, N.Y., retired purchasing manager at Dexter-Hysol Co.; July 8. During World War II he served with the 15th Air Force of the U.S. Army in Italy.

Edna Mackie Walton CW’45,
Ardmore, Pa., retired director of the Buck Lane Memorial Community Day Care Center; Jan. 3.

1946
Dr. William M. Evan C’46, Media, Pa., emeritus professor of sociology and management at the University; Dec. 25. He joined the faculty in 1966 as a professor of sociology and industry, teaching in both the School of Arts and Sciences and the Wharton School. He also served as a consultant to major corporations and government agencies on organizational design and crisis management. Dr. Evan retired in the early 1990s but continued to teach and write. He had also been a visiting professor at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, the University of Chicago, and the University of Oxford. The author of over 100 articles for various professional journals, he wrote or co-wrote 15 books, including War and Peace in an Age of Terrorism and Minding the Machines: Preventing Technological Disasters.

Sallie Ruth MacCorkell Ed’46 GEd’49, Philadelphia, a retired educator at Girls High School; Dec. 2. A scholarship in her name has been established at the University.

Marcia S. Wohl FA’46, Haverford, Pa., an artist and former teacher of art at the Philadelphia College of Art and the Main Line Art Center; Dec. 5.
 
1947
Carl B. Cramer W’47, Scottsdale, Ariz., the retired head of an investment office for the old Bache & Co.; Dec. 1. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army Infantry Division, participating in the Battle of the Bulge; he was awarded a Bronze Star and the Combat Infantry Badge.

Richard H. Mayfield W’47, Garden Grove, Calif., Nov. 24. He had retired from the finance industry. During World War II he flew 67 missions with the U.S. Air Force.

1948
William T. Andrews W’48, Malvern, Pa., a longtime real-estate agent; Jan. 8. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.

Dr. Joseph C. Bacon GM’48, Ojai, Calif., a retired radiologist; Jan. 19. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War.

Dr. Joseph B. Fetzer WG’48, Palo Alto, Calif., June 27, 2009.

Dr. Mary-Elizabeth Hamstrom CW’48, Urbana, Ill., emeritus professor of mathematics at the University of Illinois; Dec. 2.

Walter F. Hays Jr. W’48, Tampa, Fla., Aug. 30.

Hubert J. Horan III W’48, Williamsburg, Va., a retired banker; Nov. 25, 2008. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army 1st Armored Division and was awarded a Purple Heart.

Dr. Wadea Kassab C’48 D’52, Wallingford, Pa., a retired dentist; Oct. 19. He served in the U.S. Army, 1942-6, with his last assignment as a medical airman in the 188th Parachute Infantry Regiment.

Louise Sommovigo McAlinden NTS’48 Nu’58, Harvey Cedars, N.J., Jan. 16.

Dr. Samuel McDonald McCann M’48, Buenos Aires, former chair of physiology at the University of Texas in Dallas; March 16, 2007.

Lawrence C. Murdoch Jr. W’48 WG’57, Philadelphia, retired vice president and secretary of the Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank; Dec. 10. He served in the U.S. Navy as a supply-corps officer on a destroyer in the Mediterranean, 1948-54.

Dr. A. Edward O’Hara M’48 GM’50 GM’55, Bradenton, Fla., the retired first professor of pediatric radiology at Thomas Jefferson University; Dec. 2. He had served in the U.S. Air Force, attaining the rank of captain.

Robert W. Safrin W’48, West Palm Beach, Fla., former director of annual giving at the University; Nov. 7. He began his career as assistant to Jefferson Fordham, then-dean of the Law School, and went on to serve as director of annual giving at the University. He served in the 12th Armored Division of the U.S. Army, 1942-6.

Dr. Maxwell W. Steel GM’48, Potomac Falls, Va., former deputy surgeon general of the U.S. Air Force; Sept. 1. His military career began during World War II and ended at his retirement in 1975.

Dr. Kathleen Kirk Wendell GM’48, Frederick, Pa., retired co-founder of the first pediatric practice in Pottstown, which she maintained for nearly 40 years; June 6, 2008. Her medical partner and husband, Dr. James I. Wendell Jr. M’43 GM’47, died in 2007.

1949
D. Anthony F. Anonia W’49, Pittsburgh, April 28, 2009. He had retired from the Graffam Carpet Company. During World War II he served in the U.S. Air Force as a radio operator and link trainer.

Lena M. Lester Brown GEd’49, St. Petersburg, Fla., April 8, 2008.

Donald O. MacFarlane Ar’49, Palm Coast, Fla., a retired residential and commercial architectural designer; Jan. 7. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.

John B. Merrell WG’49, Stamford, Conn., retired president of the old Mobil Oil Credit Corp.; Feb. 7. During World War II he served as a medical technician in the 83rd Infantry Division of the U.S. Army in Europe; he was awarded the Silver Battle Star.

Harriet E. Miller G’49, retired mayor of Santa Barbara, Calif.; Jan. 6.
Charles N. Mitchell W’49, Mission Viejo, Calif., a retired real estate developer; Jan. 19. He was a veteran of the Korean War.

R. Bradley Royer WG’49, Ithaca, N.Y., Jan. 3. He had worked for Acme Markets and Taylor Publishing. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.

Lester D. Shubin C’49, Fairfax, Va., a retired manager of the technology-assessment program in the U.S. Department of Justice; Nov. 20. In the early 1970s, he developed the Kevlar bulletproof vest. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in Europe and participated in the liberation of Dachau.

Dr. Henry M. Yonge GM’49, Pensacola, Fla., a retired physician; Nov. 24. He was a veteran of World War II.

BACK TO TOP


 1950
Robert G. Baumler Jr. W’50, Sanibel, Fla., retired director of advertising sales at TV Guide magazine; Dec. 21. At Penn he was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, the Friars Senior Society, and the varsity baseball and basketball teams. Excelling at both sports, he signed with the Boston Red Sox during his junior year at Wharton. He played professionally with them for three years, fitting-in college between the seasons, until an injury cut short his baseball career.

Richard S. Bergey WEv’50, West Chester, Pa., May 12, 2005.

Dr. Warren D. Chader D’50, Rexford, N.Y., a retired dentist; Feb. 13. He served in the U.S. Navy as a corpsman during World War II and as a dental surgeon and lieutenant during the Korean War.

John A. Deuchler W’50, Stuart, Fla., retired executive vice president of Private Export Funding Corp. in New York; Dec. 3. He had served in the U.S. Air Force.

Charles L. Fissel Ar’50, San Diego, Calif., Dec. 30, 2006.

Robert J. Gilford C’50, Lickingville, Pa., a retired school counselor; Nov. 28. During World War II he served as a seaman 1st class in the U.S. Navy.

Robert H. Hunt W’50,
Oneonta, N.Y., a retired professor at SUNY Delhi; Aug. 14. He had served in the U.S. Navy.

Richard E. Penniman L’50, Winter Haven, Fla., the retired founder of a manufacturing firm; Nov. 8. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army and was awarded the Silver Star.

Norman C. Salkind ME’50, Wynnewood, Pa., Feb. 28, 2009.

Nels E. Scheel WG’50, Columbiana, Ohio, a retired treasurer-controller for Golden Dawn Foods in Sharon, Pa.; Aug. 4. He served in the U.S. Army in the Pacific, 1943-46.

Dr. Stanley J. Schwartz Ed’50 GEd’51, Erdenheim, Pa., Oct. 2.
Janet Mark Stout CW’50, Spring Hill, Fla., a retired teacher in South River N.J.; Nov. 3.

1951
Dr. William R. Coe C’51 Gr’58, Radnor, Pa., emeritus professor of anthropology and emeritus curator of the American section of the University Museum; Nov. 23. He joined the faculty as an assistant professor and the museum as assistant curator in 1959: he retired from the University in 1987. Dr. Coe was best known for his role in the archaeological investigation of the Classic Maya site of Tikal, in Guatemala. He joined the project as a young scholar in its first year, 1956, initiating the first excavations, starting his photographic record of artifacts, and organizing the catalog system, which has become a model for many others in the field. In 1963 Dr. Coe took over the directorship of field operations and continued in that capacity until 1970, when the site and the entire collection were formally turned over to the Guatemalan Institute of Anthropology and History. The Guatemalan government extended to him the highest honor for his work at Tikal, the Order of the Quetzal. His 1967 guidebook, Tikal: A Handbook of the Ancient Maya Ruins, has run through many editions. In 1971, after the close of the Tikal Project, he directed one season of investigation at the neighboring site of Tayasal. In 1973 he planned a new long-term project at Quirigua, Guatemala, jointly sponsored by the Penn Museum and the Guatemalan authorities; he directed the first season of field excavations in 1975, which was his last field investigation. He devoted the remainder of his career to publishing the final reports of the Tikal Project. Dr. Coe’s standing in the archaeological community was established by the completion and publication in 1990 of the six-volume Tikal Report 14: Excavations in the Great Plaza, North Terrace and North Acropolis of Tikal. For his achievements in archaeology, Dr. Coe was awarded the Drexel Medal by the Penn Museum in 1991. His son is William R. F. Coe C’80.

Harold F. Faught GME’51, Chesterfield, Mo., Dec. 13. A retired senior vice president at Emerson Electronics, he was senior assistant postmaster general during the Nixon administration. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy as a lieutenant.

William F. Freisem G’51, Seattle, a retired head of the upper school at North Shore Country Day School in Illinois; Jan. 26, 2009. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy, attaining the rank of lieutenant.

Dr. Garrett M. Keating C’51, Westfield, N.J., a retired obstetrician-gynecologist; Jan. 16. He had served as a pharmacist’s mate in the U.S. Navy in San Diego.

Thomas F. McGarry G’51, Greenport, N.Y., retired vice president of corporate communications at Pitney Bowes; Jan. 25.

Georgia Moshovitis Pistolas DH’51 Ed’51, Washington, Jan. 9. She had worked in dentistry and real estate, and for the finance division of the Republican National Committee.

David M. Satz Jr. L’51, Newark, N.J., former U.S. Attorney for New Jersey; Dec. 25. He later became one of the first attorneys in the state to work with casinos after the onset of legalized gambling.

Ellis Van Orman GEd’51, Mechanicsburg, Pa., retired superintendent of the Central Dauphin School District; Nov. 19. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in North Africa and Italy.

1952
Leonard M. Brenner W’52, Boca Raton, Fla., Dec. 13.

Walter A. Mendenhall WEv’52, St. Michaels, Md., a retired accountant and manager who had worked for SKF Industries and the Budd Company; Jan. 6. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army in North Africa and Italy.

Dr. Wayne L. Miller C’52 V’54, Meyersdale, Pa., a retired veterinarian; Oct. 26. During World War II he served as a medic in the U.S. Army Air Corps in Europe.

Dr. Felix J. Muchlado GM’52, Natrona Heights, Pa., Dec. 22, 2008.

Dr. Paul V. Rouse GM’52,
Newtown, Pa., a retired urologist; Nov. 25.

Theodore S. Stoycos W’52,
Arlington, Tex., retired vice president and chief marketing officer of Dulin Coleman Inc., in Dallas; Dec. 27. During the Korean War he served in the U.S. Army.

Frank E. Wadas WEF’52,
Shavertown, Pa., retired founder of the Hearing Aid Center in Wilkes-Barre and Scranton; Jan. 26. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.

1953
Jane B. Perry Bobic G’53, Kingsport, Tenn., a retired teacher who had taught at Walters State Community College; Sept. 8.

Frederick W. Hoffman WEv’53 CGS’58, Bensalem, Pa., a retired accountant with the old Pennwalt Chemical Co.; Jan. 5.

Charlotte Jugel Jacobs NTS’53, Canyon Lake, Tex., a retired Civil Service nurse who had served at U.S. Army and Air Force hospitals; Oct. 18.

Clara Nordberg Jordan Nu’53 GNu’63, DuBois, Pa., a professor of nursing at Penn from 1968 until her retirement in 1980; Dec. 24. Active with the Pennsylvania Nurses Association, she received its Honorary Recognition Award in 1982. She contributed to many textbooks on surgery, prenatal care, and dementia. During World War II she served as an officer nurse with the U.S. Army’s 131st General Hospital in Europe.

Dr. Richard H. Keates C’53, Philadelphia, emeritus professor of ophthalmology at Ohio State University; Jan. 26.

Lee E. Linn GEd’53, The Plains, Ohio, a retired choral-music teacher at Ridley High School in Pennsylvania; Oct. 28.

Raymond U. Mueller C’53 L’56, Wynnewood, Pa., a retired real-estate attorney in Philadelphia; July 12.

Dr. Morton G. Murdock C’53 M’57, Las Vegas, retired clinical professor of radiology at Thomas Jefferson University; Jan. 4.

Rev. Dr. Herbert E. Rowe C’53, St. Petersburg, Fla., a retired Episcopal priest who had served in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Florida; Feb. 7, 2009.

Theodore Stikoff W’53 WG’55, Rockville, Md., Dec. 15.

Thomas C. White WEv’53, New Holland, Pa., retired manager of traffic for the retail division of Sun Oil Co.; Dec. 17. A sergeant in the U.S. Army during World War II, he participated in four South Pacific invasions and was awarded a Bronze Star.

1954
Jay Y. Westcott Jr. W’54, Delray Beach, Fla., Dec. 21. He had retired from IBM.

1955
Dr. Erika Rossman Behrend CW’55 Gr’73, Wynnewood, Pa., Dec. 6. At Penn she was a member of Delta Phi Epsilon sorority and the Mortar Board Senior Honor Society. She received an Alumni Award of Merit in 1976.

Raynard F. Bohman Jr. W’55, Chatham, Mass., Jan. 3. He had retired from his family’s transportation-consulting firm, Bohman Industrial Traffic Consultants. At Penn he was a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity and served as commander of the U.S. Army ROTC transportation unit in his junior year; after graduating, he was commissioned a second lieutenant. His wife is Douglas Ann Bohman PT’55.

Walter J. Hynoski W’55, Holland, Pa., a retired sales manager with Monroe Business Systems; Oct. 10. At Penn he earned six varsity letters in football and baseball. Considered the last of Penn’s triple threat single-wing tailbacks under coach George Munger Ed’33, he received honors as the top punter in the East in 1953 and 1954, and was ranked fifth nationally. He received honorable mention in the 1954 All American Team, as well as All East and All Ivy honors. He was an active member of the Mungermen Football Club. He served as an officer and jet pilot in the U.S. Air Force; he played on the All Air Force football team in 1958.

Raymond L. McGarvey W’55, Erie, Pa., retired founder of the Country Fair Stores of Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New York; Dec. 19.

Dr. Robert H. Walker Jr. Gr’55, Washington, a retired professor of English literature and director of American studies at George Washington University; Jan. 15. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.

Dr. Frank L. Weakley M’55, Strongsville, Ohio, Dec. 2.

Dr. Robert J. Woods V’55, Pittsburgh, retired head of the Perry Animal Hospital; Jan. 28.

1956
Dr. Zeb L. Burrell Jr. GM’56, Elberton, Ga., June 2, 2009.

Gordon C. Campbell WG’56, Lafayette Hill, Pa., retired vice president and manager of personal financial planning at PNC Bank; Dec. 7.

Dr. June A. Dibb-Bridges M’56, Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J., a psychiatrist and former assistant clinical professor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York; Jan. 13.

Karl J. Osterburg WEv’56, Womelsdorf, Pa., June 13, 2009.

Anna Balog Rose Nu’56, Cheyenne, Wyo., a retired nurse at Sturgis Community Memorial Hospital; Nov. 15.

1957
Dr. Richard B. Barnhart G’57, Natrona Heights, Pa., retired vice president of development at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary; Dec. 27. Earlier he had worked for Carnegie Mellon University for many years. He had taught in the English department at Penn.

Dr. Carl E. Brothers D’57 GD’62, East Berlin, Pa., a retired dentist; Feb. 8, 2009.

M. Anne Harlow Clancy DH’57, Beach Haven, N.J., Aug. 14.

Dr. Paul Hirsch GM’57, Beverly Hills, Calif., Oct. 14.

Albert J. Quinn Jr. W’57, Sylvania, Ohio, Sept. 14.

Dr. Howard E. Tompkins GrE’57, Needham, Mass., a retired professor of engineering and computer science at Indiana University of Pennsylvania; Dec. 5.

Hon. Hardy Williams L’57, Philadelphia, a former Pennsylvania state senator; Jan. 7. He served as a state representative 1971-3 and from 1977 to 1982; he joined the senate the following year, retiring in 1998. He made two bids to run for mayor of Philadelphia, without the backing of the Democratic Party; Gov. Edward G. Rendell C’65 Hon’00, a former city mayor, called him “the father of independent African American politicians in Philadelphia.”

1958
Dr. D. Craig Aicher GM’58, Dallas, Pa., a retired ophthalmologist; Jan. 2.

Rev. Robert H. DeValve G’58,
Manchester, Conn., a retired pastor and high-school teacher; Jan. 17.

Ralph A. Eisenstadt C’58, Coatesville, Pa., a retired professor at West Chester University; Dec. 8.

Dr. Christian M. Hansen Jr. M’58, New Hope, Pa., a former professor community medicine and pediatrics at Rutgers University; Feb. 3.

Dr. Robert C. MacDuffee GM’58, Elizabethtown, N.C., a retired family physician and pathologist who had practiced in Maine, Pennsylvania, and Florida; Dec. 7.

Marian E. Miller Nu’58 GNu’64, Newville, Pa., retired director of nursing for the Crozer-Chester Medical Center; Oct. 13.

Robert L. Miller W’58, Strongsville, Ohio, Jan. 15.

Dr. William W. Miller M’58 GM’62, Oberlin, Ohio, a retired pediatric cardiologist at Virginia Commonwealth University; Nov. 20.

Dr. Margaret E. Sarver M’58, Beaver Falls, Pa., a retired physician who had maintained a practice for many years; Dec. 22.

1959
Jack Ladd Carr GCP’59, Annapolis, Md., retired deputy director of Maryland’s state historical, cultural, and art programs; Jan. 10.

BACK TO TOP


1960
Gene N. Schiffman C’60, Fort Lee, N.J., senior partner at the law firm of Schiffman, Abraham, Kaufman & Ritter; July 15, 2008.

Dr. Sara E. Bowman Thiermann CW’60, Audubon, Pa., a retired bereavement counselor with the hospice program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania; Dec. 13. In the 1990s she was a visiting lecturer at the School of Nursing and for HUP’s chaplaincy program. She co-wrote First Person Mortal: Personal Narratives of Illness, Dying, and Grief (1995).

Dr. Glenn C. Yawger C’60 D’63, Liberty Cor, N.J., a retired dentist; Jan. 14. He had practiced dentistry as a captain in the U.S. Air Force.

Dr. Ronald N. Zehner M’60, Modesto, Calif., a retired radiologist; Sept. 8.

1961
Richard A. Greenstein G’61, Washington, Nov. 16.

William J. Livolsi WEv’61, Newtown Square, Pa., a retired vice president of finance at Wyeth Ayerst International; Dec. 16.

Edward J. McVay W’61, Philadelphia, Oct. 9. He had served in the U.S. Army.

1963
Michael Gavula C’63, McLean, Va., Dec. 15. He had served in the U.S. Army for over 20 years, retiring in 1962 as a lieutenant colonel. He then served with the CIA from 1964 to his second retirement in 2007.

Henry F. Miller L’63, Philadelphia, an attorney who practiced real-estate law with the firms of Wolf, Block and Cozen O’Connor; Jan. 28.

1964
Dr. Robert M. Aiken Ed’64 GEd’66, Paoli, Pa., a retired superintendent of the New Hope-Solebury School District; Dec. 28.

Patricia J. Chalfant G’64, Alexandria, Va., Dec. 7, 2006.

Mary A. McMorris CW’64, Princeton, N.J., an independent art dealer; Dec. 11.

Dr. Jonathan E. Meincke V’64 Blythewood, S.C., a veterinarian; Jan. 23.

John Edward Snyder WG’64,
Lutherville, Md., Dec. 21.

1965
Frank A. Walker III C’65, Quincy, Mass., a retired contracts manager for Sanders Associates in Nashua, N.H.; Dec. 15. At Penn he was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity. He served in Battery B-1st-172 of the New Hampshire National Guard. His wife is Margaret Moore Walker CW’64.

1966
John A. Harris WG’66, Berwyn, Pa., a retired investment banker and environmental philanthropist who headed the Changing Horizons Fund; Dec. 29.

Dr. William K. Laidlaw Jr. WG’66, Columbus, Ohio, executive director of the Ohio Historical Society; Aug. 7.

1967
Dr. George R. Pechstein GM’68, Boyertown, Pa., a retired radiologist with the Pottstown Memorial Medical Center; Feb. 16, 2008.

1968
Bruce M. Cameron WG’68, Arcata, Calif., July 2.

Norman L. Goldberg L’68, Media, Pa., an attorney; Nov. 19. During the Vietnam War he served in the U.S. Army.

Dr. Roger B. Ward D’68, Cumberland, R.I., Feb. 21, 2009.

1969
Christopher H. Browne C’69, New York, a charter trustee of the University and chair emeritus of the board of overseers of the School of Arts and Sciences; Dec. 13. He was actively engaged with the University in a wide-ranging mix of personal, academic, and professional interests for more than 40 years, an association “motivated by my desire to see that the University I leave behind is even better than the one that helped to shape me as an undergraduate,” he said. First elected to the Arts and Sciences board in 1982, he was named chair in 1999 and held that position for a decade, and was honored with the SAS Dean’s Medal. Chris Browne became a Trustee of the University of Pennsylvania in 1991 and a charter trustee in 2001. During those 18 years, he served on a wide range of committees, including the executive, academic-policy, budget and finance, compensation, and facilities and campus planning committees; and he served on Penn’s Investment Board. He also served as a co-chair of Making History: The Campaign for Penn, the University’s current fundraising campaign. He was president of the Penn Club of New York and a member of the board of Penn Alumni, serving on the nominations and programming committees. Chris Browne will also be remembered for his generosity to Penn. With a $10 million gift in 2000, followed by a $15 million gift (the largest single gift ever made to the School of Arts and Sciences), he endowed 10 Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professorships, including one held by President Amy Gutmann. “My belief,” he said, is “that academic distinction should be defined by excellence in research, outstanding teaching ability, and a strong commitment to making Penn a forum for open dialogue.” His other leadership gifts included naming the Christopher H. Browne Center for International Politics (School of Arts and Sciences), establishing the Christopher H. Browne Trustee Scholarship, and making a notable contribution for the construction of the Carolyn Lynch Laboratory. Chris Browne spent his entire professional career at Tweedy, Browne Company LLC, a private investment firm, where he was a managing director and a member of its management committee. He also served as president of the Tweedy, Browne Funds, a mutual funds group, and was a general partner in TKB Partners and Vanderbilt Partners. A frequent speaker on behavioral psychology and financial decision-making, he also taught at Harvard’s John F. Kennedy School of Government. He wrote The Little Book of Value Investing (2006). An amateur architect and landscape architect, he was a member of the Council of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and served on the board of the Institute of Classical Architecture. In 2000 he acquired an extensive collection of over 2,000 volumes of rare and out-of-print books on architecture, furniture, and the decorative arts. A member of the trustee board of the Rockefeller University, he served on its executive committee and chaired its development, nominating, and governance Committee. He established the Christopher H. Browne Center for Immunology and Immune Diseases at Rockefeller in 1997. He was a member of the New York City Council of the Brookings Institution, a board member of the Paley Center for Media in New York, and a trustee of the Long Island chapter of the Nature Conservancy and a trustee of Guild Hall, an arts and education center in East Hampton, N.Y. His partner is Andrew S. Gordon C’83.

lbert W. Irion III W’69 WG’70, Rockville, Md., former vice president of what is now ICF International; Jan. 16. During the Vietnam War he served in the U.S. Army.

BACK TO TOP


1971
Dr. Barry W. Uhr GM’71,
Dallas, a retired ophthalmologist at Baylor University; Jan 16.

1972
Capt. Elizabeth Anne Barker GNu’72, Jacksonville, N.C., a retired U.S. Navy nurse; Dec. 3. While serving at the DaNang Naval Hospital during the Vietnam War, she was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat V.

Dr. Nancy J. Hoar G’72,
Haydenville, Mass., a professor of communication at Western New England College; December.

1973
Don D. Box C’73, Dallas, former executive vice president and emeritus director of Remington Oil and Gas Corp.; Jan. 6.

Dr. Ronald F. Hurley V’73, Manahawkin, N.J., a veterinarian; Jan. 28.

Dr. Leslie A. Rado ASC’73 Gr’79,
Seattle, a social worker and therapist; Jan. 2.

1975
Emmett R. Kronauer III WG’75, Lake Forest, Ill., founder of Kronauer Corp., a private investment-banking firm; Nov. 15.

1977
Dr. Mary E. Florence GNu’77 Gr’83, Linwood, N.J., associate professor of nursing at the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey; July 13, 2004.

Dr. John G. Steciw GD’77, Bethlehem, Pa., a retired orthodontist; Dec. 20.

1979
Alan D. Bernstein W’79, Highland Park, Ill., Jan. 27.

Ann S. Hartzell GEd’79, Merion, Pa., Dec. 19. She was a specialist in reading and language arts, at the Bryn Mawr Child Study Center.

Rosemary M. Taylor CGS’79, Vineyard Haven, Mass., a retired economist with the U.S. Department of Labor; July 9.

BACK TO TOP


1980
Keane S. Oka W’80, Honolulu, chief financial officer for AES Hawaii, Inc., the utilities company; Dec. 26. An active member of the Alumni Club of Hawaii, he served as treasurer; chaired the local secondary-schools committee. In 2009 he was honored with the Club’s Benjamin Franklin Award.

1981
Dr. John H. Hewlett III GEd’81, Downingtown, Pa., director of human resources for the West Chester Area School District; Feb. 9.

1986
Robert F. McDonough L’86, Brooklyn, N.Y., an attorney in the financial-services department of Polsinelli Shughart; Jan. 6.

Timothy L. Willard W’86, New York, Dec. 28. He worked for Qwest Communications.

1987
Francisco J. Branco C’87, Philadelphia, a research scientist and an instructor at Community College of Philadelphia; Jan. 6. At Penn he was a discus and javelin thrower and runner on the track team.

1989

Dr. Deborah J. Pitt V’89, Reistertown, Md., Nov. 19.
 
 
BACK TO TOP


1990
Dr. Laura M. Rivkin L’90, Griggstown, N.J., deputy attorney general in the New Jersey Department of Law and Public Safety; Jan. 30.

1996
Delores B. Manson CGS’96 G’97, Philadelphia, Dec. 5.

1998
Stefan P. Maar Nu’98 GNu’04 GNu’08,
Wilmington, Del., a pediatric nurse who had worked at the Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, and at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia; Jan. 17.

BACK TO TOP


2001
Joanne M. Kilian GEd’01,
Bensalem, Pa., school teacher; March 22, 2009.

2004
Dr. Joseph Cytrynbaum Gr’04, Evanston, Ill., an assistant professor of social work at Northeastern Illinois University; July 11.

BACK TO TOP


Faculty and Staff
C. Edwin Baker, New York, the Nicholas F. Gallicchio Professor of Law and Communication at the Law School; Dec. 8. He joined Penn Law in 1981, focusing his teaching on constitutional law, mass media law, jurisprudence, and the First Amendment, on which he was considered one of the country’s foremost authorities; from 2007 he held a joint appointment at the Annenberg School for Communication. He was also a visiting professor at several U.S. universities and the University of China in Beijing. He wrote Human Liberty and Freedom of Speech (1989); Advertising and a Democratic Press; Media, Markets, and Democracy; and Media Concentration and Democracy: Why Ownership Matters (2006).

Dr. Richard B. Barnhart. See Class of 1957.

Dr. William R. Coe. See Class of 1951.

Dr. William M. Evan. See Class of 1946.

Dr. Martin Fishbein, Philadelphia, the Harry C. Coles Jr. Distinguished Professor of Communication and director of the health-communication program in the Public Policy Center of the Annenberg School for Communication; Nov. 27. He had been a faculty member at Annenberg since 1997. Widely published, he wrote or edited seven books, including Theory of Reasoned Action and Integrative Model of Behavioral Prediction and Change. In the late 1980s he was a consultant to the National Institute of Mental Health on the AIDS epidemic, and from 1992 to 1996 he was a guest AIDS researcher at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. He also helped develop programs for the CDC to encourage safer sexual behavior. Dr. Fishbein’s theory is the most cited behavioral theory about AIDS in the literature, and is widely used across many fields. An organizer of the International Impact AIDS conferences, he participated in the 9th annual conference last September and was planning the 10th for this year. He had also been president of both the Society for Consumer Psychology of the American Psychology Association and the Interamerican Psychological Society, which awarded him their prize. His other honors include the National Association of Recording Merchandisers Special Recognition Award and the CDC’s Charles C. Shepard Science Award for Scientific Excellence. He was inducted into the American Marketing Association’s Attitude Research Hall of Fame. In 2003 he received an award from American Public Health Association for outstanding contributions to health education, health promotion, and health-communication research.

Clara Nordberg Jordan. See Class of 1953.

Dr. John W. McCoubrey, Philadelphia, emeritus professor of art history; Feb. 6. He taught at Penn for 35 years: he joined the faculty in 1964 and became the first James and Nan Farquhar Professor of the History of Art in 1988; he chaired the department for several years and retired in 1995. He wrote widely on American, English, and French art of the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries. Dr. McCoubrey’s influential book, American Tradition in Painting (1963), was hailed as a classic at its reissue in 1999. He was the editor of American Art 1700-1960. He served on the boards of the Institute of Contemporary Art and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. He was a member of the Philadelphia Museum of Art’s painting and sculptural committees and its committee for 20th-century art. His honors include Fulbright, Guggenheim, and National Endowment for the Humanities fellowships, and Penn’s Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching, which he received just four years after joining the faculty. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy. His wife is Dr. Bettsy Morse McCoubrey GEd’85 Gr’98. His children include Daniel McCoubrey C’75 GAr’81, whose wife is Jean F. McCoubrey GAr’84; John W. McCoubrey C’78, Sarah A. McCoubrey C’79 GFA’81, Hannah L. McCoubrey C’79, and Stephen M. McCoubrey CGS’85 GLA’92.

Robert W. Safrin. See Class of 1948.

Dr. Priscilla Schaffer, Tucson, Ariz., former professor and chair of microbiology in the School of Medicine; Nov. 18. She joined Penn’s faculty in 1996, serving as professor of medicine. At the time of her death she was a research professor of molecular and cellular biology at the University of Arizona. She was prominent in the study of the herpes-simplex virus and its connection to neurological diseases. She published over 160 manuscripts. Her many honors include a Merit Award from the National Institutes of Health and the Elizabeth Blackwell Award. A lectureship and two student awards named in her honor have been established at the International Herpesvirus Workshop.

Dr. Marvin J. Silverman. See Class of 1944.

Dr. George G. Stewart. See Class of 1944.

Joseph L. Taylor, Salem, Mass., former faculty member of the Graduate School of Social Work, where he taught social policy and administration; Dec. 5. A violinist until age 91, he played in symphony orchestras and chamber ensembles in Philadelphia and Salem. During World War II he had served in the U.S. Army.

Dr. Sara E. Bowman Thiermann. See Class of 1960.

Dr. Elizabeth B. Weller, Merion, Pa., professor of psychiatry and pediatrics in the School of Medicine and at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia; Nov. 29. Appointed to the faculty in 1997, she was the first chair of child and adolescent psychiatry at CHOP. She specialized in mood disorders. Dr. Weller had received the Best Teacher Award from the 2007 graduating class of child- and adolescent-psychiatry fellows at CHOP, who established a lectureship in her name. Her other honors include the distinguished-service award from the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and the Klingenstein Third Generation Foundation Award for Research in Depression or Suicide. Dr. Weller had served as president for both the Society of Biological Psychiatry and the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. Her children are Andrew E. Weller C’06 and Christine E. Weller C’09.

Dr. Sidney N. Zubrow. See Class of 1934.

 

May|June 2010 contents
Gazette Home

 

 


Profiles : Events : Notes : Obituaries

NOTIFICATIONS

Please send notifications of deaths of alumni directly to: Alumni Records, University of Pennsylvania, 3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
record@ben.dev.upenn.edu

Newspaper obits are appreciated.

School Abbreviations

     
  ©2010 The Pennsylvania Gazette
Last modified 4/29/10