../1198/space%20holder


Previous issue's obituaries | July/August Contents | Gazette home


../1198/Obituaries%20overline

The Old Guard | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s | 1950s | 1960s | 1970s

1980s
| 1990s
|
2000s | Faculty and Staff

The Old Guard

Dr. Nelson J. Abare D’18, Buffalo, N.Y., a retired dentist; Dec. 1978.

1920s

Dr. Vernon A. Lockwood C’20 M’22, Oklahoma City, a retired physician; July 18, 2000.

Charles E. Hoffmaster WEF’22, Reading, Pa.

Dr. Harry W. Staats D’24, Belle Mead, N.J., a retired dentist; April 1994.

Nathan L. Edelstein W’25 L’28, Philadelphia, former chair of the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations, from 1956 to 1962, who fought discrimination in hiring and housing; Jan. 23. Under him the commission issued a report in 1961, after a 13-month investigation, charging that the city’s hotel and restaurant industries discriminated in hiring. He also served on a fair-housing advisory committee under then-mayor James Tate, but quit over the mayor’s failure to meet with the committee to discuss its recommendations. Admitted to the bar in 1928, Nathan Edelstein actively practiced law for 70 years, specializing in real estate, and corporate and business law; he retired four years ago, at 95 years of age, from Margolis Edelstein, the law firm of his son, Edward L. Edelstein W52 L55, where he was of counsel. He served as president of the American Jewish Congress and chair of its governing council.

Vincent Cheverelli ME’26, Ambler, Pa., Oct. 20.

Joe Weston Hamilton W’28, Linwood, N.J., Sept. 14, 1998.

Dr. Forest M. Houser M’28, Cherryville, N.C., a retired physician; Jan. 22, 1998.

Beatrix Straussman Kaplin Ed’28, Rydal, Pa. A retired social worker in the Philadelphia school system, who later taught in the city’s women’s prisons.

Dr. J. Gordon Carlson C’29 Gr’35, Knoxville, Tenn., retired Alumni Distinguished Service Professor and head of zoology and entomology at the University of Tennessee; Dec. 17. In 1955 he served as vice president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and in 1961 as president of the Tennessee Academy of Sciences.

Amy Linscott Collins Ed’29, Clearwater, Fla., Nov. 24.

Max Epstein W’29, Philadelphia, a practicing certified public accountant for some 70 years; March 15, 2000. He relinquished his sole practice several years ago, but continued to go to his office, shared with his attorney son, J. Earl Epstein L’59, mostly caring for the investments of widows of former clients. Known for his successes as a forensic accountant, he was often appointed the accountant for trustees in bankruptcies.

Dr. H. Jay Ginns C’29 D’33, Princeton, N.J., a retired dentist who had maintained a practice in Philadelphia for more than 50 years retiring in the late 1980s; Dec. 31. He was an instructor at the Dental School, 1934-39, and was elected a fellow of the International College of Dentists in 1967. At Penn he was on the crew team; a member of the fraternity Pi Epsilon Phi, he received its achievement citation in 1965. Dr. Ginns was class agent for the Class of 1929 for more that 25 years, and he served as president of the University’s Dental Alumni Society, receiving its alumni award of merit in 1965. He was a founding member of the Benjamin Franklin Society and an original R. Tait McKenzie associate of the Weightman Society. He was an active board member of Eagleville Hospital in Phoenixville, Pa. A trustee of the Federation of Jewish Agencies of Greater Philadelphia, Dr. Ginns was honored by it in 1974; he was an honorary board member of Reform Congregation Keneseth Israel in Elkins Park, and in the 1960s served as president of the Philadelphia area Hillel houses. Dr. Ginns was part of a four-generation Penn family with a paving stone on the Women’s Walkway and Class of 1949 Generational Bridge that commemorates this. He was the son of Dr. Robert S. Ginns D’1903 and the brother of Ruth Ginns Deneau CW’38; he is survived by his daughter Margery Ginns Barr CW’73, son-in law Stephen E. Barr W’65 WG’70, and grandchildren, Jason Robert Barr C’97 and Amy Ruth Barr C’02.

Cabell Gwathmey Ar’29, Harwood, Md., a retired colonel with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers who served as the first permanent director of the Washington licenses and inspections department; Jan. 4. During his tenure, he had oversight of a new housing code, and he set up a training system for inspectors: he strongly attempted to enforce the code in the hope it would clean up blighted areas of the city. After retiring from city government in 1958, he spent 15 years in the San Francisco area, co-founding a civic-construction firm there. He returned to the D.C. area in the mid-1970s. During the Second World War he served in North Africa and Italy, and his decorations included the Legion of Merit.

Hilda Breuer Shames DH’29, Ventnor, N.J., a former dental hygienist; Dec. 22.

back to top

1930s

Grace Bader Bunting Ed’30, Gaithersburg, Md., Nov. 3.

Morris S. Hanson W’30, Rydal, Pa., Sept. 29.

Joseph Rosenblith W’30, West Hills, Calif., May 22, 2001.

Harry K. Madway W’31 L’36, Merion, Pa., an attorney; Oct. 5.

Emanuel S. Mendelson CCT’31, Philadelphia, a retired physiologist with the U.S. Naval Materials Center in the old Philadelphia Navy Yard; Nov. 14. Some of his inventions were patented by the Navy. He had earlier worked and conducted research in Penn’s Medical School. He was a member of the Penn chess team.

Dr. Paul K. Stolz G’31 GM’41, Fleetwood, Pa., a retired physician; May 16, 2001.

Maurice S. Burrison W’32, Philadelphia, curator and director of the Burrison Art Gallery in the University Faculty Club, where, over 23 years he organized over 200 exhibits, showing the works of artists, from the world-famous to the less-well-known, who were part of the Penn community; Dec. 10. The gallery was named after him in 1990, and recently moved from its old site to its current location in the Inn at Penn. A former interior designer with the Bethlehem Furniture Manufacturing Corp., he came to Penn’s facilities-planning department in 1968, and over the years, worked on various design and planning matters of the high-rise dorms, the Annenberg Center, the School of Medicine, the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and College Hall. Retiring in 1977, he remained with the department as a consultant.

John A. Dunkelberger M’32 GM’40, Reading, Pa., a retired physician; May 30, 1998.

Dr. Richard D. Nierling M’32, Jamestown, N.D., a retired physician; Feb. 14, 1999.

William W. Hibberd W’33, Titusville, N.J., Dec. 14.

Frances M. Lore Horner Ed’33, Sewell, N.J., July 23, 2001.

Dr. Paul L. Jackson G’33, Philadelphia, a retired assistant clinical professor at the Temple University School of Dentistry who had maintained a practice in West Philadelphia for 28 years; Jan. 17. Following discharge from the U.S. Army after service in the Second World War, he taught dentistry at Howard University in Washington before setting up practice in Philadelphia in 1947.

Arthur B. Levinson WEv’33, Philadelphia, Feb. 3, 2001.

Dr. Thomas G. Little C’33 D’36, Leesburg, Fla., a retired dentist; July 22, 1999.

Dr. Caroline P. Scott M’33, Lexington, Ky., a retired physician; March 25, 1993.

Dr. Joseph C. Wise D’33, Lititz, Pa., a retired dentist; Nov. 30, 1998.

Lola Hoff Wolford GEd’33, Boca Raton, Fla., Nov. 12, 2000.

Dr. Irwin B. Golden C’34 D’36, Upland, Calif., Feb. 3, 1997.

William S. Masius W’34, Scarsdale, N.Y., Dec. 23.

Julia Meardon Ed’34, Denver.

Dr. David Mossberg D’34, Lake Worth, Fla., a retired orthodontist who had maintained a practice in New York until he was well into his eighties; Jan. 24. The board of directors of the University of Pennsylvania Alumni Club of the Palm Beaches passed the following resolution, that it “wishes to formally recognize one particular longstanding member of our club for his sincere interest and deep devotion to the University. While we all have very fond memories of Penn, Dr. Mossberg was often heard to say that his student years at Penn provided the fondest memories of his lifetime. He would tease that his wife, Rose, might even be jealous of that relationship. Whenever a Penn event took place, David and Rose did their best to attend. Within the past year they attended the Mask & Wig performance and the fall kick-off event at Taboo. Those of us who sat with them found him to be a marvelous conversationalist who sprinkled his thoughts with his love of Penn. The board members feel that the loss of such a memorable member of our Penn family is deserving of recognition. While we desire to recognize David, we also wish to recognize Rose, a member of our family by proxy. When she called to advise of David’s passing she explained that his love of the University prompted her to see that he was buried wearing his Penn tie.” His daughter is Lori Mossberg Curtis CW’72 SW’77.

Cortland R. Rosebro Jr. WG’34, Fredericksburg, Va., Dec. 12, 2000.

John W. Timm Jr. WEv’34, Coatesville, Pa., Dec. 4.

Albert K. Ackoff ChE’35, Pomona, Calif., June 25, 2000.

J. Herman Perdue Jr. W’35, Salisbury, Md., retired certified public accountant; Feb. 29, 2000. He had earlier owned the Perdue Ford agency in Snow Hill, selling it in 1972.

George W. Williams G’35, Glenwood, Ill., Apr. 1993.

Grace Arent Colwell DH’36, Cincinnati, 1995.

Louise Johnson Fellows Ed’36, Arlington, Va., a language teacher in public and private schools for 23 years; Sept. 14. She taught English, humanities, Latin, and French at Fremont High School and Homestead High School in Cupertino, Calif.; both Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, the founders of Apple Computers, were among her students. She served as chairperson of the foreign-languages department at Homestead, 1963-69. Retiring from public-school teaching in 1980, she taught Latin at the Buckley School in New York. With her husband, she co-wrote, Religions East and West (1978), a college textbook that is still in print.

Lewis M. Gill L’36, Haverford, Pa., an arbitrator; Jan. 1. Over his career he decided thousands of labor disputes, including those between Philadelphia teachers and the school board, transport workers and Septa, and butchers and the Acme and the A&P supermarket chains. From 1969 to 1972 he was an arbitrator for major-league baseball. He was a past president of the National Academy of Arbitrators.

Theodore J. Hess W’36 WG’37, St. Petersburg, Fla., Dec. 28.

Eberhard F. Schea WEv’36, Philadelphia, Dec. 1.

Crampton Trainer W’36, West Hartford, Conn., retired senior vice president and treasurer of the old Aetna Life Affiliated Companies; Jan. 6. He had been with the company for 34 years. He had been chair of the Society for Savings, and served on the board of the Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Co., and the Excelsior Life Insurance Co. of Canada. He was a past president of the Hartford Neighborhood Centers and the Hartford Community Council. At Penn he was a member of the fraternity Beta Theta Pi, and was elected to the Beta Gamma Sigma honor society.

Charles H. Parkell W’37, Red Bank, N.J., May 21, 1997.

C. Herbert Shoemaker W’37, White Lake, Mich.

Dr. George W. Bodamer Ch’38, Cheltenham, Pa., Nov. 27.

Rev. Ernest J. Bohn G’38, Goshen, Ind., Sept. 4, 1992.

Catherine Smyth Emmons CW’38, Cataumet, Mass., Dec. 1.

Bernard Frank L’38, Allentown, Pa., a former assistant U.S. attorney for the Eastern district of Pennsylvania; Jan. 21. Board chair of Frank, Frank, Penn & Frank, P.C., he had practiced law in Allentown since 1939. He had also served as solicitor for the Lehigh County Prison board, assistant city solicitor, and chair of the city housing review board. He had served as chair of the ABA’s ombudsman committee, and was a past president of the International Ombudsman Institute at the University of Alberta. And he served on the board of Muhlenberg College.

Jay I. Lush C’38, Eastbourne, U.K., June 14, 2001.

Dr. Maurice G. Rice GM’38, Stevens Point, Wisc., Sept. 9, 1991.

Sarah E. Yeo Ed’38 GEd’40, Ocean Grove, N.J., Sept. 5.

Jeannette Sweetser Barnes CW’39, Cataumet, Mass., retired director of the Main Line Project Learning of the Lower Merion (Pa.) School District; Dec. 25. At Penn she was a member of the swim team and a member of the sorority Delta Delta Delta. A lifelong sailor, she won the New England Beetle Cat Association’s women’s title in 1957. After moving to Cataumet in 1970, she worked at the Thorne Clinic in Pocasset and later served on its board.

Dr. Burton J. Cherney ChE’39, Goleta, Calif., a retired engineer; Oct. 31. With the DuPont Company, he was part of the team that designed and built the Savannah River nuclear plant in Aiken, S.C., and he worked for petrochemcial-engineering companies in Los Angeles. Specializing in designing equipment for the chemical-process industries, his work ranged from heavy-water and gas systems for nuclear reactors to production processes for polymer and nylon fibers. He also designed and built the family house in Aiken and their summer house in McCloud, Calif.; his family believed there was no machine or gadget he could not build or fix—broken ones were the best as they offered the most challenge—but the family kitchen at times resembled a laboratory and the dining room a machine shop.

Emil C. Cutler Jr. WEv’39, Willow Street, Pa., former head of J. P. Collins & Sons, a lumber and building-materials supplier in Moorestown, N.J., who retired in 1980 after 35 years with the firm; Dec. 21.

Dr. Clarence L. Francisco GM’39, Shawnee Mission, Kans., July 29, 1994.

Dr. Donald S. Goldberg D’39, Hollywood, Fla., a retired dentist; June 6, 2001.

Gabriel Goldman C’39, Pikesville, Md., Nov. 11, 1998.

Dr. Oscar Libby C’39 D’41, Lantana, Fla., a retired dentist; Dec. 17.

Dr. James K. McClintock Jr. M’39, Rockville, Md., a retired physician; July 19, 1995.

Walter N. Read C’39 L’42, Riverton, N.J., a retired partner in the Haddonfield law firm of Archer, Greiner & Read, who had served as president of New Jersey and the Camden County Bar Associations; Dec. 22. After retiring from the practice he served as chair of the New Jersey Casino Control Commission, 1982-89. At Penn he played varsity soccer and was a member of the Sphinx Senior Society. Family members recalled that in 1941 he took his last exam at Penn on a Friday and enlisted in the Navy that Saturday.

back to top

1940s

Martin Bayersdorfer Jr. W’40, Philadelphia, financial administrator for the Monell Chemical Senses Center, a research laboratory near the Penn campus, from 1972 till 1988, when he retired at the age of 70 years; Jan. 3.

Dr. David J. Gilmore M’40, Baltimore, a retired physician; Feb. 29, 2000.

Olga R. Hrisko NEd’40, Charleston, S.C., April 9, 2001.

Ruth Jones Ed’40, Tampa, Fla., Dec. 3.

Ann Farquharson McHugh DH’40, Meriden, Conn., Sept. 13.

Dr. Renato A. Ricca M’40, Woods Hole, Mass., a retired physician; Feb. 4, 2000.

Geoffrey Stengel L’40, Gladwyne, Pa., retired secretary and treasurer of the Insurance Company of North America who later served as executive vice president of the Church Foundation of the Episcopal Diocese of Philadelphia, 1977-86, which disperses funds for community-outreach programs; Jan. 15. He was a former chair of the Agnes Irwin School.

Robert B. Van Arsdale W’40, Gaithersburg, Md., Jan. 11.

Francis E. Hart W’41, Fort Wayne, Ind., April 7, 2001.

Hazel J. McCutcheon Ed’41 GEd’46, Dresher, Pa., Dec. 2.

Morris D. Mercatoris W’41, Meadville, Pa., head of a real estate agency and Mercatoris Oil Co.; Dec. 1. He had served as president of the Meadville Medical Center, which he helped form from the union of two hospitals, and chair of the Community Health Services. During the Second World War he was a flight leader in the U.S. Army’s Air Transport Command: he was one of 12 foreigners to receive the Order of the Red Star from the Soviet government for delivering aircraft to the Soviet Union.

Dr. Edwin A. Rasberry Jr. M’41 GM’45, Wilson, N.C., a retired physician; Dec. 1.

Eloise Scott Reed Ed’41, Washington, retired chair of the art department at Masterman School in Philadelphia; Jan. 6. She had taught in the Philadelphia school system for 30 years.

Dr. E. Reid Bahnson M’42 GM’48, Winston-Salem, N.C., former medical director of Piedmont Airlines from 1952 to 1987; Jan. 14. He was a past president of the Forsyth County Medical Society. He also served on the board of the American Rhododendron Society, and as president of the North Carolina Orchid Society and the North Carolina Botanical Garden Foundation.

Meyer Bennon ME’42, Dover, Del.

Phyllis Stork Cates CW’42, Alexandria, Va., a retired teacher of languages, arts, and the humanities at Fairfax County elementary schools from 1968 till 1983; Jan. 8.

John Edward Friend C’42, New York, April 23, 2001.

Raymond M. Frommer WEv’42, Oakdale, Minn., Aug. 6, 1999.

Albert D. Gallatin W’42, Greensburg, Pa., retired owner of the Greensburg Coca-Cola Bottling Co.; Dec. 18.

Philip G. Gillig Jr. W’42, Lake Worth, Fla., May 19, 2001.

Edward F. Lane WEv’42, Bethesda, Md., June 5, 2000.

Gertude Russell McGraw Ed’42, Daytona Beach, Fla., a retired elementary teacher in the public schools of Elmont, N.Y.; Jan. 25, 1999. She had earlier taught in Philadelphia and Somerville, N.J.

Robert C. Michael W’42, Tryon, N.C., Oct. 12.

Dr. Leonard J. Schwade GM’42, Milwaukee, a retired surgeon; Feb. 10, 2001.

Dr. Joseph T. Byrne M’43, Richmond, Va., a retired physician; Dec. 14, 1997.

Dr. Bernard L. Coppolo M’43, Saint Marys, Pa., Feb. 6, 1998.

Dr. F. Murray Iobst V’43, Whitehall, Pa., veterinarian; Jan. 19.

Dr. Carolyn Moore McCue GM’43, Richmond, Va., a retired pediatrician; April 8, 1999.

Dr. Peter P. Potocki CCC’43, Bear, Del., a retired physician; Jan. 29, 2000.

Robert N. Taylor FA’43, Egg Harbor, Wisc., Oct. 27, 2000.

Robert W. Borell Ch’44, Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 20, 1999.

Ivan B. Bottenstein Ed’44 GEd’45, Scarsdale, N.Y., an attorney; Nov. 9.

Dr. Quentin H. Iorio D’44, Bronxville, N.Y., a retired dentist; Dec. 4, 2000.

Helen Gusikoff Price CW’44, Flushing, N.Y., May 26, 2001.

Paul L. Wise L’44, Malvern, Pa., retired senior vice president and general counsel of the Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Co.; Dec. 20. During the Second World War he served in counter-intelligence with the U.S. Army in Germany.

William H. Gawthrop W’45, Spring House, Pa., Feb. 19, 1999.

David V. Wachs WEv’45, Wynnewood, Pa., Sept. 20, 1999.

Dr. Willis D. Bidgood M’46, New Smyrna Beach, Fla., a physician; Oct. 10, 2000.

Ree Levine Goldberg DH’46, Oldsmar, Fla., Nov. 15.

Phyllis Oxman Koiwai CW’46 G’49, Horsham, Pa., Dec. 18.

Dr. Warren H. Ash M’47, Louisville, Ky., a retired anesthesiologist who had practiced there from 1951 to 1994; Dec. 23.

Dr. Rudolph E. Chaney M’47, Garden Grove, Calif., a physician; July 5, 2001.

Dr. Robert R. Monahan V’47, Palm Desert, Calif., a retired veterinarian who had practiced in Brunswick, Maine, for 42 years; Dec. 9. He had served as president of the New England Veterinary Medical Association, and for 20 years was a delegate to the American Veterinary Medical Association. A past president of the Maine Veterinary Medical Association, he served as secretary of the Maine Board of Veterinary Examiners.

Dr. Clement G. Motten Gr’47, Haverford, Pa., emeritus professor of Latin American history at Temple University who was the founding director of its Center for Inter-American Studies; Jan. 17. He was a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Havana 1959-60 during the early days of the Castro revolution. He taught at Temple’s campus in Rome for two years, and he received the Lindbach Award for distinguished teaching in 1967. Dr. Motten was co-founder of the Middle American Council of Latin American Studies and a fellow of the Organization of American States. He met his future wife, Louise Fewell Motten CW’40 G’41, while they were both on a biking trip through Europe in 1936; for more than 50 years they traveled through Latin America, Africa, and Europe, often leading youth groups. He wrote Mexican Silver and the Enlightenment.

Dr. Lyle S. Powell Jr. M’47, Walnut Creek, Calif., a physician; April 8, 2000.

Dr. Dan Vecchione D’47, Lake Worth, Fla., a retired dentist; Jan. 3.

Anne Levin Weinstock Ed’47, San Diego.

Theodore Wiles Ed’47 GEd’47, Great Barrington, Mass.

Dr. Howard Carlisle G’48, Philadelphia, March 31, 1996.

Howard H. Dornbusch W’48, Livingston, N.J., retired owner of Climate Control Systems, Inc., and earlier, the Liberty Fuel Oil Co., both in Newark; Dec. 25.

Thomas W. Nihill W’48, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., April 23, 1999.

Jack G. Wasserman Ed’48, Baltimore, Nov. 17, 1997.

Col. Robert M. Weinstein W’48, Moraga, Calif., Sept. 23, 2000.

Lester W. Calkins GEE’49, Pittsburgh, May 28, 2001.

Lt.Col. Eugene H. Cathrall III W’49, Cold Spring, N.J., a former officer in the U.S. Army who had served in the Second World War, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War, who retired with honors in 1979; May 29, 2001. During his military career he had received the Purple Heart, the Legion of Merit, and a Bronze Star. Long-retired to Cape May, he served on the mayor’s advisory commission and the Shade Tree Commission.

Dr. William N. Kinnard Jr. WG’49 Gr’56, Storrs Mansfield, Conn., April 16, 2001.

Harold L. Russell EE’49, Doylestown, Pa., Nov. 18.

Leonard G. Scharf L’49, Norristown, Pa., an attorney; Oct. 10.

back to top

1950s

Dr. Luke E. Ebersole Gr’50, Palmyra, Pa., retired vice-chancellor for development at the University of Tennessee; Dec. 26. He had served on the faculty there, teaching sociology.

Maj. Robert E. Krider W’50, Upper Marlboro, Md., Nov. 11.

William E. Bitting CCC’51, New Hope, Pa., Dec. 14.

Mark A. Doyle G’51, Glendale, Calif., July 24, 2001.

Carolyn Austin Fessler DH’51, Norristown, Pa., Dec. 22, 1997.

Alan W. Frankenfield Jr. C’51 G’53, Oaklyn, N.J., April 2, 2001.

Lee B. Koehler C’51, Stroudsburg, Pa., an attorney; Dec. 1, 2000. At Penn he was a member of the fraternity Alpha Tau Omega.

Dr. Thomas R. Leech M’51, Lima, Ohio, a physician; Sept. 21, 1999.

Andrew J. McCann Jr. C’51, Abington, Pa., Dec. 19. He had retired from the old Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. At Penn he was a member of the fraternity Sigma Nu.

Charles S. Mellen II W’51, Aurora, Ohio, a retired sales and marketing executive with Sherwin Williams Co. and Waterlox Chemical Co.; Jan. 11. He served for over 22 years in various elected positions for Moreland Hills, including president of its council. After graduating from Penn, he was a transportation officer in the U.S. Army in Korea; upon discharge, he returned to Penn for two years as the assistant dean of admissions. He was the brother of Richard C. Mellen WG’66 and the father of Charles S. Mellen III W’85.

Alvin Miller W’51, Lido Beach, N.Y., April 30, 2001.

Joseph C. Mitchell Jr. ME’51, Escondido, Calif., May 6, 2001.

Gerard E. Ohmer W’51, Key Biscayne, Fla., former financial vice president and distribution manager for Exxon Corp. in the Caribbean who retired in 1981; Oct. 13.

Harry E. Albertson WEv’52, St. Augustine, Fla., Aug. 1, 2001.

Dolya Goutman GFA’52, Rosemont, Pa., an artist who taught painting at the Moore College of Art and Design in Philadelphia for 33 years, serving as chair of the painting department for several years; Dec. 15. He also headed the college’s overseas extension in Florence. In his earlier career, he worked as an art director for Paramount Studios in Hollywood, and painted the murals for The Moon and Sixpence, a film about the life of Paul Gauguin.

Dr. Carmault B. Jackson Jr. M’52 GM’56, San Antonio, Tex., a retired physician with the U.S. Air Force who was assigned to NASA for Project Mercury, its first manned space program; Aug. 6, 2001. During the Second World War he served with the U.S. Army in Europe and was awarded three Purple Hearts. After retiring from practicing medicine, he worked as medical director for Southwestern Bell and insurance companies. He also served as administrator of Metropolitan General Hospital. In January last year he was inducted into the Texas Science Hall of Fame.

William J. Lee WEv’52, Newtown, Pa., Sept. 16.

Andrew T. Ronon L’52, Merion, Pa., Dec. 13.

Dr. Leo J. Scanlon Jr. M’52, Brandon, Miss., a physician; July 2, 1994.

Dr. John C. Farrell D’53, Geneva, N.Y., a dentist; Aug. 25, 2001. His brother is Dr. James J. Farrell D’59.

Ronald I. Kravitz C’53 L’56, Philadelphia, an attorney; Aug. 25, 2001.

Richard V. Morse W’53, Springfield, Pa., retired vice president of marketing communications with Lithonia Lighting Corp. in Conyers, Ga.; Jan. 15. He served some terms as president of the National Lighting Board. And he was a past president of the Atlanta Shakespeare Co. With a 23-year career in advertising account management, he earlier had been vice president for new-product development for the Canada Dry Corporation. Semi-retiring in 1998, Richard worked as a realtor in Newtown Square and Haverford, Pa. He was elected an Outstanding Alumnus in 1972 and he served on his Class’s 50th Reunion executive committee. In 1998 he was elected a trustee of the Psi Upsilon chapter at Penn, and its president last year. His first wife was Florence Denby Morse Ed’52 and their sons are Stuart V. Morse C’80 and Andrew D. Morse C’83.

Robert P. Oberly C’53 L’59, West Barnstable, Mass., a former partner, specializing in trusts and estates, with the Philadelphia law firm of Schnader, Harrison, Segal & Lewis, who retired in 1997; Jan. 1. He was a past Pennsylvania chair of the American College of Trusts and Estates Counsel. At Penn he was a member of the Mask & Wig Club. His father was Penn’s dean of admissions for many years, including the period after the Second World War when he counseled and guided the wave of returning veterans.

Dr. Edward H. Rosenberry Gr’53, Hockessin, Del., Oct. 19.

Stuart S. Kaufman W’54, West Hartford, Conn., a retired certified public accountant who had maintained a practice in Farmington; Jan. 13.

Karl J. Obermaier Ar’54, St. Augustine Beach, Fla., Jan. 8.

Frederick A. Bothe Jr. C’55, Devon, Pa., Aug. 9, 2001.

Betty Davis Cury CW’55, Jacksonville, Fla., Sept. 22, 2000

Neal G. Cury WG’55, St. Augustine, Fla., a retired Jacksonville entrepreneur; Aug. 21. He was the widower of Betty Davis Cury CW’55.

Dr. Malcolm F. Dorfman M’55, Paradise Valley, Ariz., a physician; Feb. 15, 1999.

Norman C. Moore G’55, Philadelphia, retired dean of students at Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Ind.; Jan. 16.

Dr. Gilbert Shapiro C’55, Moraga, Calif., Dec. 5.

Cdr. Marion Francis Wardell Nu’55, Monmouth Beach, N.J., Oct. 12.

Frank J. Weber W’55, Tucson, Ariz., Dec. 12, 2000.

Bert E. Zibelman CCC’55, Drexel Hill, Pa., an attorney; Sept. 30.

Samuel L. Hirshland L’56, Chestertown, Md., an attorney who served as of counsel to the Philadelphia law firm of Spector, Gadon & Rosen; Dec. 18.

Benjamin W. Kitchen Ar’56 GAr’58, Haddonfield, N.J., an architect and planner with Kitchen & Associates in Collingswood and Philadelphia; Jan. 15. He re-designed historic buildings and designed affordable housing in order to revitalize urban districts. Some of his works are Bray Hall at the College of New Jersey at Ewing; in Philadelphia, the Hard Rock CafÈ, the refurbished North Philadelphia Train Station, and Casa Caribe, a senior-citizen housing complex in the Fairhill district. In 2000 his firm received three awards for its renovation of the old Zane School in Collingswood, once a dilapidated eyesore: he completed the $1.7-million project, then leased the building and moved his 50-member firm into it, helping revive the borough’s small business district.

Alvin G. Shpeen L’56, mayor of Glassboro, N.J., who was leading a revitalization program of its downtown; Jan. 1. In the mid-1990s he was director of the state Division on Gaming Enforcement. From 1986 till 1992 he served both as a deputy state attorney general and the acting prosecutor for Salem County. In his long public career he had earlier served as a solicitor in a number of South Jersey towns, the first full-time prosecutor for Gloucester County (1980-86), and as municipal judge in Deptford, East Greenwich, Pitman, and Woodbury Heights.

Dr. Ronald I. Forster M’57, Delray Beach, Fla., a physician; Dec. 11.

Michael Goldman W’57 L’60, Philadelphia, an attorney who specialized in business law; Jan. 3. In 1960 he joined with his lawyer father in the law firm of Goldman & Goldman, and continued to run it after the latter died 10 years ago.

Bette Gerdau Groshens Nu’57, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Oct. 6.

Dr. Stephen A. Morgenstern M’57, Wynnewood, Pa., a physician; Dec. 21.

Aaron Reizen W’57, Princeton Junction, N.J., Sept. 16, 2000.

Kendall Eisenbury Chew CW’59, Rosemont, Pa., a former antique dealer who had maintained a business with her husband; Dec. 29. In 1975 she became director of the Tuesday Afternoon Dancing Class at the Merion Cricket Club, which taught ballroom dancing and manners to generations of Main Line young adults. And in the 1980s she had taught art at the middle school of Agnes Irwin School.

Arthur J. Deric WG’59, Lansdale, Pa., an attorney; Feb. 23, 2001.

Robert F. Maine W’59, Glenview, Ill., a retired private-placement specialist for finance companies; Oct. 27. He was an original member of the Chicago Board of Options Exchange. The son of Robert F. Maine Sr. W’33, and Virginia Shay Maine Ewer Ed’31 and her second husband, Kendall S. Ewer W’29, he is survived by his sister, Virginia Maine Shuman CW’65, and her daughter, Stephanie Dehne Thibault C’94.

Col. James F. Unger WG’59, Lawton, Okla., June 13, 2001.

back to top

1960s

Claude A. Beer C’60, Palm Beach, Fla., Sept. 11. He was an international champion backgammon player.

William R. Mosolino L’60, Orwigsburg, Pa., an attorney; March 10, 2001.

Nancy Mayberry Sobolevitch CW’60, Berwyn, Pa., the first woman and the first non-lawyer appointed chief administrator of the Philadelphia courts, 1986-90; Dec. 26. She oversaw court operations during the Roofers Union scandal of the late 1980s, when over a dozen judges were removed or suspended for taking bribes; and in 1993 she told a Pennsylvania Supreme Court judge that he was to give up office after he was charged (and later convicted and impeached) with prescription fraud. She had earlier served as energy director for Governor Milton Shapp (1975-8), then as assistant to the speaker of the state House of Representatives (1975-86). She was the wife of Robert H. Sobolevitch C’59, a senior researcher with the Center for the Study of Youth Policy at Penn’s School of Social Work, and mother of Stephen H. Sobolevitch EAS’87.

Dr. C. Spencer Streett V’60, Kalamazoo, Mich., retired vice president of MPI Research; Dec. 20. From 1963 to 1975 he had maintained a veterinary practice in Fallston, Md., while also working as a consultant veterinary pathologist. He later was senior manager of pathology at ICI Pharmaceuticals in Wilmington, Del.

Laurence Rutahakana G’61, Moshi, Tanzania, 1991.

Richard W. Somerville WG’61, Wilmington, Del., manager of international packaging for the DuPont Company; Nov. 19, 1999.

F. Lorraine Leiter OT’62, Waynesboro, Pa., retired director of occupational therapy at the Western Maryland Hospital Center; Aug. 27, 2001.

Lewis J. Mishkin W’62, Mountainside, N.J., an attorney who owned a utility rate consulting company; Sept. 25. He was also a film producer and distributor, operating Mishkin International; he was a member of the rating board of the Motion Picture Association of America.

Paul D. Karpouzis GEd’64, Millersville, Pa., a retired statistician with the Pennsylvania Department of Education; Dec. 18. From 1966 to 1986 he worked for the old Hamilton Watch Co., lastly as vice president of operations. He was a past president of the American Hellenic Progressive Association.

Frederick H. Kull II WG’64, Dallas, July 10, 2001.

Ira S. Meiselman W’64, Charlotte, N.C., Feb. 22, 2001.

Dr. Robert W. Janes M’65, Altadena, Calif., a physician; Aug. 12, 1999.

Dr. Walter F. Zenner Gr’65, Lafayette Hill, Pa., Sept. 20.

Stephen J. Bernocco GM’67, Northridge, Calif., Feb. 15, 1994.

Dr. Robert P. Carr M’67, Toronto, a psychiatrist; 2001.

Arthur H. Ernst L’67, Silver Spring, Md., retired branch chief in the chief counsel’s office of the IRS; Dec. 27. He retired in 1999 after 28 years service.

Dr. Charles M. Girard WG’67, Round Rock, Tex., March 23, 2001.

Helen M. Mitchell Nu’67, Lansdowne, Pa., June 12, 2001.

Margaret K. Turanski CW’67, Penobscot, Maine, a retired reference and film librarian at the main branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia; Jan. 9. A committed activist, she was involved in the civil rights and anti-war movements of the 1960s, and was an advocate for women’s rights. And she was active for more than 20 years with the AFSCME union, serving on the local executive board and its negotiating teams.

Albert R. Simonds Jr. L’68, Alexandria, Va., a retired partner of the Washington law firm of Bruder, Gentile & Marcoux; Dec. 10. He specialized in the law regulating public utilities and served on the board of the Federal Energy Bar Association. He was the husband of M. Celeste Baker Simonds CW’68 and father of Caroline L. Simonds C’99.

back to top

1970s

Angela Divincenzo Malinoski Nu’70 GNu’80, Gloucester City, N.J., July 5, 2001.

Michael H. Stone WG’70, Chagrin Falls, Ohio, July 21, 1991.

Shirley Schoenberg Wellenbach GCP’70, Haverford, Pa., assistant dean of continuing education at the College of General Studies from 1976 until her retirement in 1996; Jan. 15. She came to Penn in 1974 as a vocational adviser.

Karen Sugarman Tannenbaum Nu’71 GNu’73, Bryn Mawr, Pa., April 15, 2001.

Robert D. Rector Jr. C’73, Chambersburg, Pa., Jan. 3, 2001.

James F. Clavenna WG’75, St. Louis, Jan. 4, 2001.

Donald Prowler GAr’75, a Philadelphia architect and a lecturer in the Graduate School of Fine Arts; Feb. 8. On the faculty of both Penn (since 1976) and the School of Architecture at Princeton University for a number of years, he was also a visiting lecturer at Cornell University, the University of Virginia, and the University of Chicago. He taught design studio and technology courses about the heat and light performance of buildings. In his own practice in Center City he specialized in ecologically sound and energy-efficient buildings, passive solar design, and affordable housing; from 1986 to 2000 he was chair of the Sustainable Building Industry Council, a national organization committed to sustainable, environmentally conscious design. Don Prowler wrote Modest Mansions: Design Ideas for Luxurious Living in Less Space, and edited Teaching Passive Solar Design in Architecture and Passive Solar: State of the Art. He also was recognized by Architecture magazine as a co-developer of the publication Designing Low-Energy Buildings. He received the Progressive Architecture Research Award for developing energy curriculums for architecture schools, and in 1992 was made a fellow of the American Institute of Architects. He is survived by his wife of 28 years, Mady Prowler CW’72 SW’77.

Dr. John R. Abercrombie Gr’79, Marblehead, Mass., December.

Christine Meeter Giesecke PT’79, Downingtown, Pa., a physical therapist at Bryn Mawr Rehabilitation Center who specialized in aquatic therapy for people with brain injuries; Jan. 11. She was an instructor in neurological dysfunction at Arcadia University and had contributed to a textbook on aquatic rehabilitation. She served on the Pennsylvania Board of Physical Therapists.

Bernard Rossman WEv’79, Elkins Park, Pa., Oct. 5.

Chester C. Y. Koo WG’79, Taipei Taiwan, Dec. 24. He served on the board of overseers of the Wharton School and the Wharton Asian Executive Board.

back to top

1980s

Dr. Kathryn J. McCormick M’81, Drexel Hill, Pa., a surgeon at Misericordia and Fitzgerald Mercy hospitals; Jan. 14.

Ellen H. Estrin W’85, New York, Dec. 10.

Michael J. Molony WG’86, Canton, Ohio, founder with his wife of the P. T. Moran pet-food chain in the Washington area; Dec. 22. They had moved to Canton in 1999.

Dr. Mary Ellen Keating G’89, Mont Alto, Pa., July 2001. She began college in her fifties, starting at the Harrisburg Area Community College, and finishing with a Ph.D. from Pennsylvania State University, which was awarded posthumously. She had taught art history at Dickinson College and Penn State.

Dr. Anne Y. Matsushima M’89, New York, a physician; Jan. 20, 2000.

Dr. Katherine L. Moulton C’89, Kent, Ohio, assistant professor of geology at Kent State University; Nov. 9.

Kathleen J. Nusser WEv’89, San Francisco, Nov. 2001.

back to top

1990s

Dr. Stephen G. Fantine GEd’90 Gr’Ed91, Philadelphia, Oct. 3.

David M. Guysinger WG’92, Lake Forest, Ill., July 20, 2001.

R. Zachary Egendorf C’97, Bala Cynwyd, Pa.

Subin K. Shrestha EAS’97 GEng’97, Philadelphia, a senior programming analyst at Wharton Computing; Dec. 22. Born in Katmandu, Nepal, he had joined the office in 1998.

back to top

Faculty & Staff

Rabbi Samuel H. Berkowitz, Pompano Beach, Fla., director of the B’nai Brith Hillel at Penn from 1953 to 1971; Feb. 19. Before coming to Penn he served as Hillel director at George Washington University (1946-49) and the University of Illinois (1949-53). He taught and counseled Jewish students in the Philadelphia region for many years, and he served as rabbi or assistant rabbi for several congregations, including the old Emanu-El, Temple Israel in Wynnefield and Adath Tikvah-Montefiore in Northeast Philadelphia. Rabbi Berkowitz, who received an M.A. from Catholic University in 1949, also taught theology at St. Joseph’s University, till retiring from there in 1985.

Maurice S. Burrison. See Class of 1932.

Dr. Edward B. Irving Jr., Cincinnati, professor of English; March 6, 1998. He joined Penn as an associate professor in 1960, was appointed full professor in 1970, and retired as professor emeritus in 1993. He early established his scholarly reputation while teaching at Yale, with The Old English Exodus (1953 and republished as a paperback in 1970). The prize-winning A Reading of Beowulf (1968) also had a second life as a paperback, and portions of it were reprinted in the Norton critical edition of Beowulf (1975). The Introduction to Beowulf he wrote for Prentice-Hall’s Landmarks in Literature series (1969) was later re-issued in paperback. And the University of Pennsylvania Press published Re-reading Beowulf (1992). He several times chaired the MLA’s Old English group and was a reviewer for Speculum, and he lectured widely in this country and abroad. Dr. Irving also wrote about writing, the oral tradition, and about poetry as poetry. He taught broadly, presenting Shakespeare and Chaucer one year, taking up Joyce’s Ulysses the next, and he was especially known for his general-honors course on the art of poetry. The brother of Robert R. Irving C’51, he was married to Dr. Judith Moffett Gr’71, the poet and novelist who also taught on the English faculty, and he was the father of Alison Irving Hall C’78.

Charles S. Mellen II. See Class of 1951.

Emanuel S. Mendelson. See Class of 1931.

Donald Prowler GAr’75. See Class of 1975.

Dr. Bernice L. Rosman, Philadelphia, a retired clinical associate professor of psychology in psychiatry and a staff member of the Philadelphia Child Guidance Center at Penn; Jan. 14. She joined Penn in 1975 and retired in 1995. She served as director of research and training, chief psychologist, and later director of education at the center, where she worked with Salvador Minuchin, the developer of structural family therapy.

Shirley S. Wellenbach. See Class of 1970.


Previous issue's obituaries | July/August Contents | Gazette home

Copyright 2002 The Pennsylvania Gazette Last modified 7/01/02

Dr. Alvin Z. Rubinstein G’50 Gr’54

Dr. Alvin Z. Rubinstein G’50 Gr’54, Bryn Mawr, Pa., professor of political science at the University; Dec. 18. He suffered a stroke on Dec. 6, while dining in the faculty lounge shortly after teaching the final class of his career: he had planned to retire at the end of the semester. Joining the faculty in 1957 as a lecturer, he became an assistant professor in 1959, associate professor in 1961, and a professor of political science in 1966, the position he held until his death. Director of the Anspach Institute for Diplomacy and Foreign Affairs (1968-70), he was also chair of the graduate program in international relations from 1966 to 1970. And he was also a senior fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute. Dr. Rubinstein’s research focused on Russian foreign policy, East-West relations, conflict in the Third World, and national-security issues. Among his 22 books are Russian Foreign Policy: From Empire to Nation-State; Soviet Policy Toward Turkey, Iran, and Afghanistan; Red Star on the Nile: The Soviet Egyptian Influence Relationship Since the June War; Yugoslavia and the Non-aligned World; Moscow’s Third World Strategy (1988); and America’s National Interest in a Post-Cold War World (1994). A festschrift in his honor, The Lost Equilibrium: International Relations in the Post-Soviet Era, was presented to him early last year by his colleagues, former students, and friends. It hailed him as a “pioneer in the analysis of influence relationships between and among nations,” and noted that “during his long tenure, he mentored legions of students, firing their enthusiasm for the understanding of international affairs.” Dr. Rubinstein received numerous fellowships, including those from the Ford, Rockefeller, Guggenheim, and Earhart foundations, the National Science Foundation, the Social Science Research Council, and the American Philosophical Society. He was a guest lecturer at numerous universities in this country and abroad, including the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge, and a speaker for the U.S. Information Agency throughout the world.

NOTIFICATIONS

Please send notifications of deaths of alumni directly to:
Alumni Records

University of Pennsylvania
3451 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

<record@ben.dev.upenn.edu>

Newspaper obits are appreciated.