Ruth Ibbotson Pessel Ed’28, Yardley, Pa., Jan. 12. She taught for many years at the Logan Demonstration School in Philadelphia. She was an active volunteer and leader for the Mercer Hospital and its women’s auxiliary. During the 1950s she established the Mercer Mart, a thrift shop that raised funds for the medical center. And she had served as the board’s historian in later years. In 1997 she was acknowledged by the governor of New Jersey for her many contributions as a volunteer.
Dr. Abraham Glick C’30, Dresher, Pa., a retired physician; Jan. 22. His sons are Richard S. Glick C’62 and Dr. Seth N. Glick C’71 GM’79. His grandchildren include Jared J. Glick C’98 and Jordan S. Glick W’03.
1932 | Frank E. Hahn Jr. C’32 L’35, Philadelphia, an attorney with the Philadelphia law firm that is now Obermayer, Rebmann, Maxwell & Hippel, for 63 years; Feb. 18. He became a partner in 1949. Although he stopped working full time in 1986, he continued to work part time until 1998. An active alumnus, he served as class president from 1987 to 1992. He was president of the local Boy Scout council in 1976. He was a board member of the Albert Einstein Medical Center, where he chaired the nursing committee, and for 12 years of the Cheltenham School. His wife is Margaret Berg Hahn CW’37 and his daughter is Judith Hahn Kramer CW’64.
Hon. Max Rosenn L’32, Kingston, Pa., the second-most senior judge of the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals; Feb. 7. A founding partner of the law firm Rosenn, Jenkins & Greenwald in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., he was assistant district attorney for Luzerne County, 1941-44. He was a member of the state welfare board, 1964-66, and in 1966-67 served as state secretary of public welfare. He was appointed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit in 1970. At that time he was serving as chair of both the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission and the state’s Executive- Legislative Task Force. He chaired the Governor’s Committee on Children and Youth for the 1970 White House Conference. In 1972 when Wyoming Valley (Pa.) was devastated by flooding following Hurricane Agnes, he chaired the flood-recovery task force. During his 35-year career on the federal Court of Appeals, he became known as “a probing questioner at oral argument whose vote could rarely be predicted,” according to The Legal Intelligencer. “He loved the law and he embraced the law as the source of our liberty and our freedom,” said Joe Cosgrove, an attorney. Appointed a senior judge in 1981, Judge Rosenn remained active in the court, often going into his office six days a week. Colleagues said that in the two weeks before his death he insisted clerks bring his briefs and draft opinions to his hospital room. “He was the most elegant human being I have ever met,” said U.S. Circuit Judge Dolores K. Sloviter. “In 27 years I never heard him say an angry word … He was a beacon for the rest of the court and we all loved him.” In 1999 the newly-renovated federal courthouse in Wilkes-Barre was dedicated as the Max Rosenn U.S. Courthouse. He served on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court criminal-procedure rules committee and the editorial board of the American Journal of Law and Medicine. He was a longtime trustee of Wilkes College and served as president of more than a dozen organizations. Judge Rosenn has endowed a student scholarship fund at Penn’s Law School. During World War II he was a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army, serving in the Philippines as director of claims investigation and as a claims commissioner.
Dr. Paul M.Howard M’33, Belmont, Mass., a retired physician; Jan. 20.
Robert W. Scheuch WEF’33, West Orange, N.J., April 1, 2005.
Joseph P. Tacconelli WEv’33, Jeffersonville, Pa., former owner of a Firestone Tire & Rubber Co. dealership and a member of the company’s national board; Feb. 10. Known as Mr. Tac, he was also a former board member of the Bryn Mawr Trust Co. and a past part-owner of the Westover Golf Club in Jeffersonville.
William A. Welsh C’33, Lima, Pa., a retired attorney; March 8.
1934 | Armand P. Bartos Ar’34, New York, a retired architect who, with his wife, Celeste, supported major New York cultural institutions; December 29. According to The New York Times, his most significant architectural work is the Shrine of the Book, an onion-shaped structure at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem that houses the Dead Sea Scrolls and other ancient manuscripts. The building, designed with his partner, Frederick Kiesler, opened in 1965; the American Institute of Architects cited it as one of the year’s best. He also designed a number of buildings on the campus of Yeshiva University. A major collector of 20th-century art, he purchased a painting from Piet Mondrian in 1942, when the exiled Dutch artist was living in New York. At a sale by Christie’s London auction house in 1983, another Mondrian painting he owned, Composition with Red, Blue and Yellow (1930), sold for $2,156,000, the highest price ever paid at auction for a work of abstract art at that time. He and his wife donated heavily to the Museum of Modern Art, including a collection of prints and grants to support film-history preservation. Also benefactors of the New York Public Library, they helped restore a glorious but abandoned lecture hall that featured a 30-foot-high glass and cast-iron dome. The hall reopened in 1987 as the Celeste Bartos Forum. The couple also supported the school of architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he had earned his M.A. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.
Lorraine Craig Dowling NTS’34, Solvang, Calif., Oct. 1.
Rachel K. Letchworth G’35, Medford, N.J., Jan. 21, 2005.
Dr. Julius M. Wallner M’35, Sparks, Nev., a retired physician; Jan. 23.
W.J. Watson Bosler ME’36, Philadelphia, Feb. 26.
Leon S. Forman C’36 L’39, Glenside, Pa., a retired attorney; Jan. 24.
Minna Solomon Hirsch Ed’36, Washington, August 2004.
Edward B. Schwartz Ed’36 G’37, Portland, Ore., Oct. 8, 2004.
Howard Roland Stringer ChE’36, Philadelphia, a retired chemist for Rohm & Haas Co.; Dec. 25.
Rosalie Shore Miller Ed’37 GEd’40, Fort Washington, Pa., a retired advanced math teacher at Philadelphia High School for Girls; Jan. 20.
Dr. Blair N. Vine C’37 GM’53, Hamilton, N.J., a retired physician; May 21, 2005.
Dr. J.W. Austin Woody M’37, Tryon, N.C., a retired physician; January 2005.
Leon Bilk EE’38, Paoli, Pa., a retired professor of electrical engineering at Drexel University; March 13. He was also the chief electrical engineer at United Engineers and Constructors. He was the first honor graduate from Olney High School in Philadelphia to receive a full scholarship to the University. His son is Mark S. Bilk EE’67 and his daughter is Marjorie Bilk FA’71, who is married to A. Barton Lewis WG’47.
Joseph M. Delone Jr. W’38, Lima, Pa., Dec. 25.
Dr. Elizabeth Kassab D’38, Wallingford, Pa., an orthodontist for 46 years and a founder of Penn’s Women’s Dental Society; March 10. During World War II she covered for dentists serving in the military. She established a private practice in her home in 1954. Dr. Kassab often gave clinics around the country and abroad, including in Cairo, Egypt, according to one of her daughters, Carol. She remained active with the Women’s Dental Society until her retirement in 1990.
Benjamin M. Klein CE’38, Wayland, Mass., July 10, 2005.
Jean C. Senior DH’38, New Milford, Conn., 2005.
Harold C. Sheets W’38, Harrisburg, Pa., March 2, 2002.
Jane Taylor NTS’38, Boca Raton, Fla., Aug. 21, 2005.
Dr. Samuel Wenger GM’38, Litchfield, Conn., a retired physician; June 2005.
Ruth Darby Dolan G’39, Woodland Hills, Calif., Aug. 10, 2003.
Dr. Joseph J. Donofrio D’39, Montclair, N.J., a retired dentist; Jan. 8.
Dr. Jane Hatheway Donovan CW’39, Woodcliff Lake, N.J., a retired physician; Feb. 7, 2002.
Cornelia Linfield Drury Mu’39, New York, a former opera coach in Philadelphia; Jan. 17. She later worked in the record division of RCA for 33 years.
Bernard M. Halpern W’39, Pittsburgh, a retired attorney; Jan. 23.
Thomas A. Hamilton Jr. W’39, Schwenksville, Pa., June 27, 2005. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps in India.
Dr. Erling T. Hauge GM’39, Sun City West, Ariz., a retired physician; Jan. 23, 2004.
William T. Hiering W’39, Toms River, N.J., an attorney and former legislator who was an advocate for higher education; Nov. 16. He practiced law with the firm of Hiering, Dupignac, Stanzione & Dunn from 1946 until his death. He was elected to the New Jersey General Assembly in 1959, where he served for six years. In 1965 he was elected to the state Senate, which he served until 1971, when he was appointed as general counsel to the New Jersey Highway Authority. During his Senate tenure he chaired the education committee. In 1962 he co-wrote the legislation that created New Jersey’s community-college system, and was a rigorous supporter of the referendum that established Ocean County College as the first county college in the state. For more than 30 years he was a member of the Ocean County College Foundation and served on its executive committee. He joined the board in 1980 and had served as its chair since 1986. He founded, along with his late wife, Barbara, the Ocean County College Foundation annual garden party, a fundraising event they hosted at their home for 10 years. He was honored by numerous organizations for his civic service, including the New Jersey Education Association, the National Conference of Christians and Jews, and the Monmouth-Ocean Development Council. During World War II he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, serving from 1942 to 1946. He held the battle ribbon for the Battle of Attu and two commendations from the Navy for outstanding service in the Aleutian area.
Frances Silber Krakower DH’39, Media, Pa., a former health hygiene teacher in the Poughkeepsie, N.Y., school system; Jan. 23. She later worked as a dental hygienist for Dr. Abraham Krakower, who became her husband.
Jules Kurtz WG’39, Haverford, Pa., a retired securities broker for Bache & Co. (now Wachovia Securities); March 5. He began work at Bache in Philadelphia in 1939. He was senior vice president there until the 1960s, when he was promoted to head of the commodity division in New York. He moved the office to West Palm Beach in 1970, where he worked until retiring in 1995. During World War II he served stateside as a fiscal officer in the U.S. Army, 1942-46. One of his daughters is Dr. Linda Kurtz Richman CW’63 Gr’70.
Rita Nocella Mitchell Ed’39, Fayetteville, N.C., president of Acclaim!, an art consulting service that placed fine art in public and corporate venues; June 2005. Earlier she had been personnel director for the Pennsylvania and Washington/Baltimore divisions of the Reuben H. Donnelly Corp. A founder and former president of the Fayetteville Museum of Art, she served on the board for 17 years. She was also a board member of the American Association of University Women, the Fayetteville Little Theater, the Human Relations Commission, and the Youth Services Bureau. She was a co-author (with Joan MacMillan) of Infamous Love, a two-person drama about George Sand and Frederic Chopin, which was produced 12 times and purchased by North Carolina Public Television. And she wrote the drama Sister Liz, which was produced by Playwrights Exposed in Fayetteville.
Dr. Rosaline Goldin Gr’40, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., Feb. 28. Her sister is Julia Goldin G’46.
Lucy Miller OT’40, St Louis, Jan. 5, 2003.
Mitchell E. Panzer L’40, Philadelphia, chair of the real estate department of Wolf, Block, Schorr and Solis-Cohen, until his retirement in 1988; Jan. 4. He joined the firm in 1946 and was elected partner in 1954. He was board president of Gratz College, which awarded him an honorary LLD. He was a board member and trustee of Har Zion Temple and was instrumental in the writing of its by-laws. And he was active in the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia. During World War II he served as a second and then first lieutenant with the U.S. Army Air Corps in Europe. He left the service as a captain in 1946 and was awarded the Bronze Star. One of his daughters is Marcy C. Panzer-Pokotilow CW’71.
Dr. Gerald I. Pitegoff GM’40, West Hartford, Conn., a retired physician; Oct. 25, 2004.
John A. Shedwick Jr. WEv’40, Thorofare, N.J., an accountant with Cigna in Philadelphia for over 40 years; Dec. 25. He was a longtime member of the Calvary Presbyterian Church in Upper Darby, Pa., which he served as elder, trustee, treasurer, financial secretary, and superintendent of the Sunday school. He had served in the U.S. Army and the Coast Guard.
Alice Foley Shill Ed’40 GEd’42, Westfield, N.J., Dec. 6. “Mom loved Penn and gave willingly,” said her son, Harold B. Shill III. Her brother, Edward L. Foley Ed’35 GEd’62, died in April of last year.
Dr. John C. Stolz GM’40, Fleetwood, Pa., a retired physician; June 24, 2003.
Frances Rossman Zitin CW’40, Cherry Hill, N.J., Jan. 23. Her son, Dr. Barry R. Zitin C’69, called her “an avid supporter of Penn.”
Ellis C. Dwyer GEd’41, Willow Grove, Pa., June 6, 2005.
Dr. Marvin S. Greenberg C’41 GM’50, Wyncote, Pa., a retired physician; Aug. 29, 2005.
Dr. A. Ross Lerner GM’41, Rockville, Md., a retired physician; Aug. 9, 2005.
Bertie Baer Shenk PSW’41, Lancaster, Pa., Jan. 19. Her son is John Frederick Shenk C’64.
Frank Richard Smith W’41, Adamstown, Md., March 4.
Dr. Jesus L. Soriano GM’41 Cabanatuan, Philippines, a retired physician; Oct. 14.
Dr. Ruth Barlow Strong V’41, Newtown, Pa., a retired veterinarian; Jan. 15.
Harold N. Wood W’41, Harrisonburg, Va., Feb. 11.
Waldron C. Beekley Jr. ChE’42, West Hartford, Conn., Nov. 1, 2003.
Leon Bender CE’42, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., a retired civil engineer and home builder; Feb. 7, 2005.
Constance S. Donaldson CW’42, Ventura, Calif., Dec. 23.
Dr. James B. Hunter Gr’42, Newtown Square, Pa., Jan. 20. His wife is Deirdre Rhodes Hunter GEd’72.
Walter T. Husbands Jr. W’42, Wilmington, Del., the former director of employee assistance at J.C. Penney; Dec. 30. Earlier he had been a member of the marketing department at the DuPont Co. He served on the boards of Limen House and the Salvation Army, and devoted himself to assisting recovering alcoholics.
Dr. Robert L. Mayock M’42 GM’46, Wynnewood, Pa., emeritus professor of medicine and former chief of the pulmonary-disease section at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania; Jan. 30. Considered the “father of pulmonary medicine at Penn,” he founded the modern pulmonary division in 1955 and served as its chief for nearly two decades, before stepping-down in 1972. He began teaching as an instructor in 1946 and was appointed assistant professor of clinical medicine in 1951. He as promoted to associate professor of clinical medicine in 1959 and to professor of medicine in 1970. A tuberculosis survivor who had developed immunity to the disease, Dr. Mayock served in the U.S. Army, 1952-54, where he treated soldiers who had returned from the Korean War with TB. Along with the late physician and scientist Dr. Julius H. Comroe Jr. C’31 M’34 Hon’78, Dr. Mayock established one of the first two-year fellowship training programs in pulmonary medicine at HUP, which became a model for other academic centers. As chief at the Philadelphia General Hospital he founded, in 1955, the School of Respiratory Therapy, the first of its kind in the U.S. He retired from medical practice in 1987 and from teaching ten years later. He was also known for the study of sarcoidosis, a disease similar to TB, but one that has no known infecting organism. He created a clinic at Penn to treat patients and wrote several papers on the subject, most notably “Manifestations of Sarcoidosis,” (1963), a frequently-quoted article on the disease. During his 50-year career, he trained more than 180 pulmonary physicians, teaching his students to always be mindful of the “three A’s” of successful medical practice: Availability, Affability, and Ability. “To the generations of pulmonary specialists he has taught and inspired at Penn, Bob Mayock is the prototypical gentleman physiciancaring, dedicated, and compassionate. His style of practice became a model for what our division is today,” said Dr. John Hansen-Flaschen GM’82, chief of the pulmonary, allergy & critical care division at Penn, and a former student of Dr. Mayock. Active in numerous professional organizations, he once chaired the American Thoracic Society. He led the effort to remove all cigarette vending machines inside HUP and helped the American Lung Association in its efforts toward a “smoke-free” society. A professorship and teaching award in his name has been established at the University, and the Pennsylvania Thoracic Society honors him with a lecture series in his name. His daughter is Holly Mayock Luff C’78.
Dr. Robert Warwick Miller C’42 M’46, Bethesda, Md., a retired physician; Feb. 23.
Dr. Robert M. Whitrock M’42, Pensacola, Fla., a retired physician; May 26, 2004.
Helen Schrum Delaney DH’43, Spring Grove, Pa., a dental hygienist in the Philadelphia area for over 50 years; Jan. 21.
Bernard Fishman W’43, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., chair of Fishman & Tobin, a children’s apparel company, until his retirement in 1994; Feb. 3. The company, which had been founded by his father and uncle in 1914, specialized in boys’ playwear. After joining the business in the 1940s, he started a division that made private-label suits and sports coats; it became a major supplier of boys’ clothing to Penneys & Sears, as well as Wal-Mart and other stores. According to his son, Mark, he often helped employees with financial and medical problems. Active in Jewish philanthropies and the support of Israel, he and his wife, Annabelle, established a kindergarten and preschool near Tel Aviv in honor of their 30th wedding anniversary. They also helped Jews from the former Soviet Union settle in Israel. He was a former vice president of the Federation of Jewish Agencies of Greater Philadelphia and served on the boards of Akiba Hebrew Academy, the Philadelphia Geriatric Center, Jewish Theological Seminary, and Hahnemann University. Past president of Har Zion Temple, he spearheaded the synagogue’s move from Wynnefield to Penn Valley in the 1970s. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in France. His daughters are Jane Fishman Grinberg W’81 WG’85 and Susan Fishman Kohen CW’73, whose husband is David M. Kohen C’72 W’72. His daughter-in-law is Jill Fishman SW’81. And one of his granddaughters is Rachel K. Heckler C’98.
Howard Goldenson W’43, Ventura, Calif., Nov. 15.
Dorothy Orth Kohr GEd’43, Cornwall, Pa., Dec. 26.
Evelyn Palenscar Kovachy L’43, Shaker Heights, Ohio, Dec. 22. Her husband, Edward M. Kovachy W’24, died in October.
1944 | Nathan Auritt W’44, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., cofounder of the accounting firm Levick, Auritt & Co. (now Cogan Sklar, LLP); Jan. 11. While at Penn he swam intercollegiately. He and his boyhood friend, Allan M. Levick W’43, started the firm and practiced together for 50 years, building its client base and staff. He retired in 1999. He had served as treasurer of Main Line Reformed Temple and was a volunteer at Lankenau Hospital until the time of his death. During World War II he was a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps, stationed at WarnerRobbins Field in Macon, Ga. He remained in the Army Reserves for several years after the war. His sisters are Judith Auritt Klein CW’47 and Janice Auritt Oser CW’52, who is married to Alan S. Oser C’52. One of his nieces is Karen S. Ball CW’69.
Dr. Harold E. Glazier D’45, Bethlehem, Pa., a dentist for 42 years, before his retirement in 1989; Aug. 29, 2005. He was active in the Community Service Foundation and the Westside Food Bank, and as a tutor for Fountain Hill Elementary School. He served three terms as president of Congregation Brith Sholom in Hanover Township and had been treasurer of the synagogue endowment fund. And he was one of the coordinators of the Russian resettlement program there. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy as a lieutenant junior grade and was a dentist in French Morocco.
Dr. David A. Nelson ChE’45, Schwenskville, Pa., Nov. 3, 2001.
Dr. Guillermo Pico Santiago GM’45, Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico, a retired physician; Oct. 14.
Madelyn E. Watson G’45, Raleigh, N.C., March 27, 2005.
Dr. Robert G. Cox WG’46 Gr’56, Fayetteville, N.Y., Feb. 24, 2005.
Marian M. Sichel Fellheimer CW’46, Rydal, Pa., Jan. 20. Her husband is Morton H. Fellheimer C’40 and her son is Robert M. Fellheimer W’70.
John Frings PSW’46, New York, June 19, 2005.
Dr. Robert E. Jones M’46 GM’51, Salt Lake City, a retired physician; Jan. 21.
Bernard Ostrof Ch’46, Wynnewood, Pa., the retired creative director of Lewis, Gilman and Kynett, an advertising firm; Dec. 21. He and his wife, Esther Jacobs Ostrof CW’44 (who died in 1983), had been “campus sweethearts,” according to their friends.
Ruth E. Parker G’46, Hamilton, N.J., November.
Dr. Claud W. Perry GM’46, Pendleton, S.C., a retired physician; Dec. 18, 2002.
Eugene Polsky CCC’46, Philadelphia, Dec. 31.
Dr. Paul W. Roman GM’46, Baltimore, a retired physician; Nov. 16, 2002.
Dr. Norman J. Quinn C’46 GM’54, Barefoot Bay, Fla., a pediatrician for more than 40 years and chief of pediatrics at Montgomery Hospital in Norristown, Pa., until his retirement in the 1990s; Jan. 13. He donated his services as an attending physician at St. Mary’s Villa for Children and Families in Ambler for 30 years. A board member of Thomas Jefferson University, his alma mater, he helped his class raise a million dollars for the school. And he was past president of the Ambler Rotary Club. He had served as a physician in the U.S. Navy for six years, in the United States and aboard a destroyer in the Atlantic. He was a former skeet- and trap-shooting champion.
Grace M. Zartman Ed’46, York, Pa., Aug. 10, 2002.
Dr. Mario A. Cinquino GM’47, Plantation, Fla., a retired physician; Aug. 31, 2002.
Dr. William L. Coffey Jr. GM’47, Milwaukee, a retired physician; July 20, 2005.
Alan S. Goodfield W’47, Rougemont, N.C., a retired executive; Dec. 30. He then did seasonal tax work. He was a former head of Volunteers for Youth. During World War II he was an officer in the U.S. Navy.
Frank E. Holmes Jr. WEv’47, Bronxville, N.Y., the executive vice president of Encyclopaedia Britannica, until his retirement in 1992; Dec. 20. He spent nearly 40 years with the publisher, where he pioneered the development of leads through third-party mail inserts. Known as "Mr. Britannica," he built and managed the New York division, the company’s most lucrative branch.
Emanuel B. Katz C’47, Philadelphia, Feb. 4.
Hon. Tulio G. Leomporra W’47, Lafayette Hill, Pa., a retired judge; March 20.
Nathaniel H. Lieb C’47, Narberth, Pa., the president of Star Dental, his family’s firm, for more than 30 years; March 17. He developed one of the first high-speed dental drills for the company, according to his wife, Judith Taubman Lieb CW’59. After the company was sold in the 1980s, he established Spring Health Products, a manufacturer of dental instruments, in Valley Forge, Pa. An arts patron, he served on the boards of Nexus, a Philadelphia artists co-op, and the Wilma Theater. He had written several plays, one of whichGreen and Black Holeswas produced at the Edinburgh Festival in 1979. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy, stateside. His nephew is Gerald L. Dellheim C’73 WG’77.
Dr. Eduard M. Oetting GM’47, Scottsdale, Ariz., Nov. 30.
Dr. David W. Palmer GM’47, Sun City Center, Fla., a retired physician; Nov. 12.
Dr. Fredrick A. Robertson ChE’47, Irving, Tex., Oct. 19.
Duffield Ashmead III C’48 L’58, Philadelphia, an attorney with the Philadelphia law firm of Drinker, Biddle & Reath, where he specialized in estate planning and probate matters, until retiring in 1991; March 13. He worked as an engineer for the Philco Corp. for seven years before enrolling in law school. At Penn he was a member of the Law Review. Active in civic and charitable organizations throughout his life, he was a board member of the Southeastern chapter of the American Red Cross, the Delaware Diabetes Association, and the Cradle (an adoption agency based in Illinois). He was a reader for Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic until shortly before his death, and had also served on its board. At St. Martin-in-the-Fields Episcopal Church in Chestnut Hill he was a vestryman and chancellor; he served on the Standing Committee of the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania for 10 years. During World War II he served aboard the U.S. Navy destroyer Vesole for three years.
Dr. Donald G. Brownlow CCC’48 G’49, Elverson, Pa., a history teacher at the Haverford School for 55 years; Jan. 11. He joined Haverford in 1951 and was still actively teaching at the time of his death. Every September he shot a small cannon across the football field during the first session of his 20th-century European history class. “You can’t appreciate the history of Europe in the 20th century,” he told his students, “if you don’t know the smell of gunpowder.” He was the author of 10 books on military history. Serving in U.S. Army intelligence during World War II, his detachment landed on Utah Beach during the D-Day invasion and later participated in the Battle of the Bulge. During the battle in the Ardennes, SS troops captured him and two other members of his unit; they later escaped. He earned a Purple Heart from a wound he received from a German tank shelling and a Bronze Star for finding and deactivating a minefield. The French government awarded him the Croix de Guerre. During the summers he often led students on tours of Europe; in the 1950s he arranged a visit in Germany with Adm. Karl Doenitz, who directed the U-boat campaign during World War II. “Don taught the history he helped make,” said Joe Cox, headmaster of Haverford. “He taught with passion and compassion.” In 2004 he returned to France for the 60th anniversary of the Normandy invasion.
Dr. Edward F. Callaghan D’48, Wilbraham, Mass., a dentist for more than 45 years; Dec. 26. In the 1960s he served as a police commissioner of Springfield, Mass., for more than seven years. He was a founding member of the Forest Park Civic Association. The owner of a 1955 Buick Roadmaster convertible for many years, he was past president of the Central New England Buick Club. And he served on the council of Holy Name Parish in Springfield. A member and past president of the Holy Name coaches club, he received the John P. Sullivan’s League Coaches’ Sportsman of the Year award in 1961. During the Korean War he served in the U.S. Army as a battalion dental surgeon in Korea for one year, for which he received a Korean Service Medal with three Bronze Stars and a United Nations Service Medal. He was then transferred to Fort Meade, Md., where he served as a captain until 1953.
Richard M. Clayton G’48, Elkins Park, Pa., Feb. 21, 2005.
B. Eugene Crumrine Jr. Ed’48 GEd’49, Media, Pa., a retired psychologist and computer specialist; Dec. 23. During the 1950s he was director of the Philadelphia office of the Pennsylvania State Council for the Blind and a speechwriter for Gov. David L. Lawrence. First a psychologist for Philco Corp., he then worked for Rockwell International, where he helped develop military and space communications systems compatible with human capabilities and limitations. In the 1970s he was a clinical psychologist at Haverford Hospital and later a systems specialist for First Pennsylvania Bank. After retiring in the 1980s, he was a volunteer radio operator for the Media Fire Company. Diagnosed with a degenerative eye disease while serving in the U.S. Army during World War II, he was past president of the Pennsylvania Blinded Veterans Association, and established a snack bar operated by disabled veterans at the Delaware County Courthouse.
John L. Dolphin W’48 L’51, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., a retired attorney; July 10, 2005.
Parke E. Edwards Jr. W’48, Strasburg, Pa., a retired certified public accountant; April 17, 2005.
Benjamin A. Franklin C’48, Garrett Park, Md., a former national correspondent for The New York Times and for the last 12 years editor of The Washington Spectator, a political newsletter; Nov. 19. At Penn he was on the heavyweight varsity crew, and a member of the Delta Phi fraternity. He often described himself as an "inky wretch," as his father had been an editor for The New York Herald Tribune. Ben began his journalism career working for The Washington Star. In 1954 he began a five-year stint in the capital as a reporter for ABC Radio commentator Edward P. Morgan. He joined The New York Times in 1959: As a senior national correspondent based in the Washington bureau, he covered the mid-Atlantic states for many years, reporting on such topics as the civil rights movement and racial desegregation, the safety of Appalachian coal miners, and the 1979 Three Mile Island nuclear accident. In 1970 he received an award from Berea College in Kentucky for his work illuminating the mining problems in Appalachia. While heading a temporary Baltimore bureau in 1973, he provided coverage of the bribery and extortion charges against the former Maryland governor Spiro T. Agnew, which helped lead to Agnew’s resignation as vice president. The Society of Professional Journalists honored him with the Sigma Delta Chi Award for distinguished journalism for his coverage of the Agnew debacle. Leaving The Times in 1991, after a longstanding struggle with executive editor A. M. Rosenthal, he spent two years writing for Nucleonics Week, a McGraw-Hill publication. Since 1993 he was editor of The Spectator. Hamilton Fish, president of the Public Concern Foundation (its holding company), recalled Ben’s “intelligence, his integrity, and his well-aimed indignation … about the Washington political merry-go-round.” During the Korean War he had served with the U.S. Coast Guard in the Atlantic.
Ruth Slotnick Kraemer Mu’48, Miami Beach, a retired elementary-school teacher; December. She began her career at North Beach Elementary School, where she taught from 1960 to 1974. She taught at Virginia Boone Elementary School from 1977 to 1991, and recognized as Teacher of the Year in 1981. Earlier she had helped her husband operate his family’s business, the Kraemers Olympia Hotel and Mineral Baths, in Mt. Clemens, Minn.
Dr. Richard P. McCormick Gr’48, Bridgewater, N.J., professor emeritus and former dean of history and former dean of Rutgers University; Jan. 16. After his retirement he served as its university historian. He was a former president of the New Jersey Historical Society.
Dr. Henry N. Michael CCC’48 Gr’54, Ardmore, Pa., a long-time senior fellow of the Museum Applied Science Center for Archaeology at the Penn Museum; Feb. 19. A world-renowned dendrochronologist and anthropologist, he was associated with the Penn Museum for more than 60 years, beginning in 1938. He taught at Penn for several years before joining Temple University’s faculty in 1959, eventually chairing the geography department there. In 1984, four years after retiring from Temple, he was named a senior fellow at the Museum’s Applied Science Center. He was probably best-known for his groundbreaking collaborative research with Dr. Elizabeth K. Ralph Gr’73, on correction factors for radiocarbon dating. He spent many summers in California’s Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest collecting samples of the tree, believed to be the world’s oldest known living organism. The team of researchers developed a correcting scale by incorporating dendrochronology, a method of scientific dating based on the analysis of tree rings. In examining the long-dead but still preserved trees, Dr. Michael extended the chronology beyond 5,000 to 10,000 years from the present. As a result of the team’s work, scientists determined that some of Europe’s earliest monuments were actually hundreds of years older than radiocarbon dating had previously indicated. His interest in Arctic and sub-Arctic regions was also longstanding, beginning with his 1954 doctoral dissertation, The Neolithic Age in Eastern Siberia. As director and editor of the series Anthropology of the North: Translations from Russian Sources (1959-74), he published a number of books of translated works; the most recent is Levin and Potapov’s Historico-Ethnographic Atlas of Siberia. In his mid-80s Dr. Michael began a collaborative project (with Alexander Dolitsky, director of the Alaska-Siberia Research Center) to translate and publish the legends and fairy tales of indigenous peoples on the Kamchatku peninsula and along the Bering Straits. The Penn Museum honored him with the Director’s Award for exceptional volunteer achievement in 2000. “With the passionand the patienceof a genuine scholar, Henry Michael has quietly ‘moved mountains’ in our understanding of time and events in the ancient past,” noted Dr. Jeremy A. Sabloff, then the Williams Director of the Penn Museum. “The Museumand the worldhas been immeasurably enriched by the tireless efforts of Dr. Michael.” During World War II he served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army in Europe. His wife is Ida Nemez Michael CW’37.
James C. Saylor WEv’48, Green Valley, Ariz., Jan. 14, 2005.
Anthony F. Stanis GEd’48, Doylestown, Pa., Feb. 14.
Dr. Theodore Stern Gr’48, Goleta, Calif., June 20, 2005.
James W. Turner W’48, Oakton, Va., Feb. 16.
Robert Walkenstein W’48, Broomall, Pa., owner of Cohan, Walkenstein & Co., a certified public accounting firm, for 52 years; Dec. 30. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army and fought in the Battle of the Bulge, for which he was awarded a Purple Heart.
1949 | Dr. E. Howard Bedrossian GM’49, Drexel Hill, Pa., a retired ophthalmologist and former associate clinical professor of ophthalmology at the University’s Medical School; Jan. 15. In the late 1950s he took over his father’s practice and later shared the practice with his son Ned for 23 years, until his retirement last year. He taught at Penn, 1951-78, and also at Thomas Jefferson University. He wrote two medical books and many articles. As a physician he was on the staffs of Wills Eye, Graduate, Delaware County Memorial and Riddle Memorial Hospitals. In 2000 Dr. Bedrossian created an endowed professorship, the Babcock Surgical Society Professorship in Surgery, at Temple University, where he had earned his medical degree.
William F. Bohlen L’49, Newtown Square, Pa., a retired attorney; Jan. 14. His wife is Betty White Bohlen CW'43.
Lionel H. Felzer W’49, Boynton Beach, Fla., March 23.
Harry B. Gayley MtE’49, Brick, N.J., June 14, 2005.
Dr. Sidney Greenstein C’49 M’53, Rydal, Pa., an internist/cardiologist and a professor of medicine at Temple University, until his retirement in 1996; Feb. 3. His children are Andrew D. Greenstein C’74, Dr. Susan Greenstein Orel C’79, Deborah A. Greenstein C’82, and Dr. Ellen G. Millender Gr’96.
Benjamin F. Griffith Jr. WG’49, West Chester, Pa., a chemical engineer with ARCO for 34 years; January. His wife, Mary Roberts Griffith V’42, died in August of last year. His daughter is Margaret G. Finarelli CW’67, whose husband is Dr. John D. Finarelli C’65.
George L. Hawkes L’49, Fairfax, Va., a retired attorney; Dec. 3.
Frank A. Kramer WG’49, Knoxville, Tenn., 2005. “My father remembered with great fondness his days at Penn and being a student at the Wharton School,” said his son Wayne.
Robert F. Mason WEv’49, Drexel Hill, Pa., 2004.
Edward W. Miller W’49, Shelton, Conn., Feb. 23, 2005.
Dr. Victor Newcomer GM’49, Santa Monica, Calif., a retired physician; March 15, 2002.
Winifred Ellis Pawlowski Ed’49, Glenside, Pa., March 5.
Dr. Frank Rathauser GM’49, Princeton, N.J., a retired physician; April 24, 2005.
Dr. Grace Heilman Stimson Gr’49, Santa Barbara, Calif., March 6, 2004.
Dr. George S. Watson GM’49, Arlington, Mass., a retired internist; June 24, 2003. He served on the board of health for Plympton. A member of the Plympton Folk Arts group, he was known for his woodcarvings of birds and fish. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy as head of tropical medicine at Bethesda Naval Hospital.
Robert R. White W’49, Altamonte Springs, Fla., Jan 17.
Dr. Thomas S. Wright GM’49, Abington, Pa., a retired physician; May 29, 2005.
1950 | Paul M. Cope Jr. GAr’50, Chestnut Hill, Pa., an architect who designed Quaker meetinghouses and other buildings in the Philadelphia area; Feb. 12. He began his career with the old Sweet & Schwartz. He worked for Vincent G. Kling until 1957, when he joined Cope & Lippincott. He was part of the design team for Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, and he worked on the fine-arts center of Haverford College and the Noyes Museum. Still active as an architect, he was designing meetinghouses in Wilmington, Del., and Radnor, Pa., until shortly before his death. He was a contributing author to Living Witnesses: The Care of Quaker Meetinghouses (2004). As a conscientious objector during World War II, he drove a medical-supplies truck in China, 1942-47. His daughter is Alison Cope FA’79. His sister, Edith Cope Jones Ed’47, died in May of last year.
Will D. Everhard Jr. Ar’50, New Cumberland, Pa., a retired architect who had practiced at the firm of Everhard & Barclay; Dec. 4. During World War II he served as a pilot in the U.S. Navy for three years.
Dr. Richard L. Haley GEE’50 GrE’63, El Paso, Tex., Feb. 9, 2005.
William H. Hayes WEv’50, Piscataway, N.J., Sept. 13, 2004.
Dr. Jerome Jacobs D’50 GM’51, Miami Beach, a retired dentist; May 25, 2005.
Dr. Klaus Wilhelm Kartzke WG’50, Ludwigsburg, Germany, March 6.
Donald E. Kotas GEE’50, Roslyn, Pa., March 2.
Dr. Samuel F. LaRue D’50, Chippewa Falls, Wis., a retired dentist; Sept. 24.
Frances F. Kullberg Masiello OT’50, Shelton, Conn., Dec. 17.
Leah Moskowitz Mechanick Ed’50, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., a former special education teacher in Philadelphia; Nov. 28. She served on the Penn secondary-schools committee for many years. Her late husband, Dr. Philip G. Mechanick, was acting vice provost of the University, 1978-79. Her children are Dr. Stephen M. Mechanick C’78 M’82, Dr. Judith Mechanick Vetter C’78 M’82, and Dr. Andrea M. Braverman C’82 G’82 GEd’85 Gr’89, who said, “Leah was a special Penn person … who contributed to the University in countless ways.”
Dr. Chris P. Polezoes GM’50, Clearwater, Fla., a retired physician; Dec. 10.
Morris M. Rubin GrEd’50, Westmont, N.J., June 23, 2005.
Peter B. Small WEV’50, State College, Pa., Feb. 27.
Harry A. Thaete Jr. GEd’50, Vero Bech, Fla., April 15, 2002.
Dr. Robert P. Boudreau GM’51, Skaneateles, N.Y., a retired physician; Sept. 30, 2003.
Dr. Bartholomew Clemente GM’51, Akron, Ohio, a retired physician; Sept. 15, 2003.
Sidney Ginsberg L’51, Wynnewood, Pa., an attorney and the founder of Sidney Ginsberg, PC, in Philadelphia; Oct. 10, 2004.
Dr. George Gittelson M’51, Delray Beach, Fla., a retired physician; March 8, 2005.
Robert F. Hansen ME’51, Gainesville, Va., Nov. 13.
Thomas B. Harper L’51, Gwynedd, Pa., a former partner of the Philadelphia law firm Stradley, Ronon, Stevens & Young LLP; Jan. 21.
John P. Laware G’51, Sea Island, Ga., Dec. 13, 2004.
Dr. David G. Neander GM’51, Hernando, Fla., a retired physician; Feb. 27, 2005.
Ronald B. Pond Wg’51, Huntington, N.Y., June 14, 2004.
Dr. Stanley C. Vance Gr’51, Knoxville, Tenn., June 13, 2003.
Joseph H. Wilson W’51, Lighthouse Point, Fla., Dec. 2.
Francis J. Fallon ME’52, Ocean City, N.J., Jan. 21.
C. Whitney Haddock Ar’52, New London, N.H., Dec. 20.
Catharine Driver Maestri NTS’52, Phoenix, Oct. 22, 2004.
Dr. Claiborne T. Smith Jr. M’52, Haverford, Pa., a retired physician; April 6, 2005.
Dr. Lewis S. Thorp M’52, Rocky Mount, N.C., a physician who practiced at Boice-Willis Clinic for 41 years, until his retirement in 1994; Aug. 17, 2005. He began his medical career at Park View Hospital, and was chair of medicine at Nash General Hospital for many years. Over the last decade he served as the consulting physician of Social Security Disability. He was director of medical education for the Area Health Education Center (Area L). He also served as medical director of Guardian Care Nursing Home. A member of numerous medical boards, he was president of the Nash County Medical Society and past president of the University of North Carolina Medical Association. He was a board member of the YMCA and of the District Appeals for Selective Service.
Le Roy Wharry W’52, Arlington, Tex., Feb. 24, 2005. He had worked for American Airlines, Inc., in Dallas-Fort Worth.
Donald B. Wolchek W’52 WG’56, Philadelphia, Jan. 25.
Rodney S. Cook W’53 WG’54, Gainesville, Fla., Aug. 7, 2005.
John C. Crawford C’53, Blacksburg, Va., Dec. 7. He had retired from the Library of Congress; for his last 25 years of service he was posted overseas, in New Delhi, Jakarta, and Nairobi.
Thomas M. Davis Jr. W’53 WG’54, New Port Richey, Fla., the president of Red Gate Antiques in Lahaska, Pa., 1966-1987; Dec. 18. He was an executive for the Boeing Company in Germany from 1957 to 1966. He had served with the U.S. Army CID in Germany, 1955-56.
Dr. James R. Frakes Gr’53, Bethlehem, Pa., March 13, 2002.
Fraser A. Hale W’53, Guelph, Ontario, Nov. 15.
Charles M. Ogg GAr’53, Philadelphia, an architect who had practiced with the Kling-Lindquist Partnership, Inc. (now Kling); Feb. 5.
Henry M. Peddle W’53, Key Largo, Fla., Feb. 12, 2005.
Dr. Merrill W. Rusher GM’53, Fort Wayne, Ind., a retired physician; March 6.
Dr. T.G. Watson GM’53, Macomb, Ill., a retired physician; June 6, 2003.
Dr. Margaret Gray Wood GM’53, Philadelphia, emeritus professor of dermatology and former head of the dermatology division at the School of Medicine; Feb. 9. She was appointed assistant professor of dermatology in 1968. She was promoted to clinical professor of dermatology in 1980 and retired in 1988. She chaired the department, 1980-82, during which time she was credited with pioneering the use of fluorescent microscopes in dermatology. The department honored her with a portrait that hangs in the Maloney Building. She was president of the alumnae association of the old Women’s Medical College for two years and received their alumni service award. When that college closed in 2004, she attended a protest in her wheelchair. A lifetime member of the Women’s Dermatologic Society, she received its Rose Hirschler Award in 1989. She wrote many articles and several textbooks.
Dr. Robert W. Blair GM’54, Flagstaff, Ariz., a retired physician; July 15, 2002.
Dr. Abraham Bogoch GM’54, Vancouver, a retired physician; August 2004.
Jean Moxley Gant OT’54, Warminster, Pa., Dec. 23.
Dr. Robert D. Gilliam GM’54, Florence, Ore., a retired physician; March 22, 2005.
Nancy E. Greene FA’54, Scottsdale, Ariz., Dec. 29. After her retirement she was a volunteer at the Franciscan Renewal Center in Scottsdale for many years.
Ruth E. Wilent Heaney Ed’54 GEd’85, Wenonah, N.J., Feb. 22.
Dr. Miroslaw W. Hnatiuk GM’54, Livonia, Mich., a retired physician; July 31, 2001.
Dr. J. Peter G. Muhlenberg M’54 GM’58, Wyomissing, Pa., a retired physician; Oct. 28.
Flora Eisman Roomberg CW’54, San Antonio, an attorney who worked for the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office in the late 1970s, and later opened her own practice; February. She was a lawyer with the Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority, 1972-74, before joining the District Attorney’s Office. She left in 1979, ending her career with the city as acting administrator of Family Court. She and her brother, Dennis Eisman (now deceased), opened a law office in Center City Philadelphia in 1979, specializing in family and criminal law. She retired in 1992. She chaired the Plymouth Township Planning Commission during the 1980s.
Dr. William J. Schrimpf Jr. GM’54, Cincinnati, a retired physician; June 17, 2002.
Dr. D. Stratton Woodruff Jr. M’54, Haverford, Pa., a physician who was the retired director of the residency program at Family Practice Center in Bryn Mawr; Feb. 17. For 18 years he practiced family medicine with his wife, Dr. Frieda Wagoner Woodruff M’55, who died in 2002. (They had married the day after her graduation.) In 1975 he joined the Family Practice Center and headed its residency program. After retiring from the directorship in 1988, he continued to treat patients at the center and to train residents until 1993. He had been a founding member of the residency assistance program of the American Academy of Family Practice and served on its residency review committee. And he was associate professor of family medicine at Thomas Jefferson Medical School. Dr. Woodruff was a physician at Bryn Mawr College for 28 years, and he served for more than 15 years on the Lower Merion Township Board of Health. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy Medical Corps aboard the cruiser U.S.S. Pensacola in the South Pacific. His son is Dr. George W. Woodruff GEd’86 Gr’93.
Dr. Henry G. Fischer Gr’55, Newtown, Pa., curator emeritus of Egyptology at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York; Dec. 11. After earning his doctorate, he joined a Penn expedition to Egypt, then became an assistant professor of Egyptology at Yale University. He went to the Met as an assistant curator in 1958, rose to associate curator in 1963, and was named head of the Egyptology department in 1964. A special chair was endowed for him in 1970, which he held until his retirement in 1992. From 1964 to 1970 he led the American Committee to Save Abu Simbel, an ancient temple threatened by the construction of the Aswan High Dam: garnering considerable world attention, the temple was painstakingly disassembled then re-assembled on a higher and dry site. In thanks the Egyptian government in 1965 removed, salvaged, and donated to the U.S. the Temple of Dendur, which had been commissioned by Augustus during the Roman period. Dr. Fischer convinced a committee formed by President Lyndon B. Johnson that rival offers of an outdoor site in Washington or Boston would mean the destruction of the fragile sandstone temple. Instead it was shipped to the Met, where he oversaw its re-assembling, and where it has drawn visitors since 1978. His writings on ancient Egypt notably advanced the study of the art and culture of the Egyptian provinces, previously neglected for the study of the ruling centers of the pharaohs. His study of the hieroglyphic system, which focused on how Egyptian calligraphy and art combined, led to the influential text, The Orientation of Hieroglyphs (1977). In retirement he published several collections of poetry, including Timely Rhymes (1993) and More Timely Rhymes (1996), Night and Light and the Half-Light (1998), and Small Ponderings (2002). He played the medieval sackbut and wrote The Renaissance Sackbut and Its Use Today (1984).
W. Scott Johns III L’55, Devon, Pa., an attorney who was also an engineer; Jan. 15. He worked as an engineer for Atlantic Richfield Co. (now Arco) for several years, before earning his law degree. He then operated a law office in the Philadelphia suburbs and in recent years practiced from his home. He was scheduled to be honored by the Delaware County Bar Association for his 50 years as an attorney a week after he died, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. A former president of the Mercersburg Academy alumni association, he served on the academy’s board of regents. He was a founding member of the Philadelphia Curling Club. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army’s Third Army in Europe under Gen. George Patton; he participated in the Battle of the Bulge and the liberation of the Buchenwald concentration camp.
Dr. Charles F. McKhann III M’55, North Haven, Conn., a retired physician; Nov. 14.
Dr. Stanley H. Wilkins D’55, Basking Ridge, N.J., a retired dentist; Jan. 22. He served on the Bernards Township Committee, 1964-66, and was past president of its board of health.
Dr. Richard M. Gladding M’56, Lake Bluff, Ill., a retired physician; Dec. 1, 2003.
Jack P. Lissner W’56, High Point, N.C., a retired financial executive at the University of North Carolina; Feb. 5. His brother-in-law is Harmon Butler W’54.
Thomas A. Merrick EE’56, Springfield, Pa., Jan. 12.
Dr. E. Adolphus Morgan GM’56, Diggs, Va., a retired physician; June 29, 2005.
Dr. Calvin Dale Nester D’56, Virginia Beach, Va., a retired dentist; Nov. 14.
Dr. Philip J. Porter M’56, Brookline, Mass., a retired physician; Feb. 16, 2005.
Dr. Romsai Suwanik GM’56, Bangkok, a professor of radiology at Siriraj University Hospital School of Medicine in Thailand; April 2005.
Arthur P. Crane W’57, Minneapolis, the president of Arthur P. Crane & Associates; July 25, 2005. At Penn he was a member of Phi Epsilon Pi fraternity. For over 40 years he was president of the Tri-State Textile Association. He was a 32nd-degree Mason in the Scottish Rite.
Virginia B. Day FA’57, Gwynedd, Pa., Jan. 18.
Dr. Jermiah F. Epstein Gr’57, Austin, Tex., Dec. 15.
Jim S. Joseph W’57, San Mateo, Calif., Dec. 19, 2003.
Dr. William H. Kirby Jr. GM’57, Timonium, Md., a retired doctor; Nov. 13, 2001.
Dr. Wilmer B. Mahon GM’57, Harrisburg, Pa., a retired physician; Sept. 23.
Edward E. Robinson GAr’57, Media, Pa., Jan. 19.
David S. Shrager C’57 L’60, Elkins Park, Pa., a nationally known trial lawyer; Nov. 28. At Penn he was president of the debate society, an All-Ivy League fencing champion for epee, and a member of Phi Beta Kappa. After graduating from the law school, he began his legal career at what became the Philadelphia law firm of Farage & Shrager. Later he was the senior partner of Shrager, McDaid, Loftus, Flum & Spivey, and most recently Shrager, Spivey & Sachs. Throughout his career he specialized in major and complex civil litigation representing consumers, injured healthcare workers and individuals, and appeared on many occasions before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, including cases that resulted in fundamental changes in the laws protecting the rights of injured victims. Notable cases for which he served as court-appointed lead counsel include a national class action on behalf of thousands of hemophiliacs with HIV-related illness and multi-district litigation on behalf of healthcare workers claiming latex-glove allergy. He also represented the father of Michael Ward, the sole child survivor of the 1985 Move fire in Philadelphia, in a 1987 lawsuit against the city for injuries suffered in the fire. David Shrager devoted much of his professional life to serving the organized trial bar. He was a principal founder of the Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association and served as president (1971-72). A life member of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, he served as president (1983-84), and also as president of the Roscoe Pound Foundation (1985-88), which works to preserve access to the civil-justice system. During his extensive service to ATLA, he was chair of the organization-review committee, and most recently was named to the executive committee. He received two of its most prestigious awards: the 1995 Harry M. Philo Award in recognition of his leadership in protecting the rights of individuals through the civil-justice system; and the 2004 Leonard M. Ring Award for his distinguished service to the association. He was a founding member of Trial Lawyers for Public Justice. Other professional honors included an appointment to the civil-procedure rules committee of the of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania (1978-88), service as chair of the civil-litigation section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, service on the board of the Pennsylvania Bar Institute (1982-84), and appointment as a judge pro-tem of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas (1992-98). Additionally, he served as a diplomate of the National Board of Trial Advocacy (1980-86) and for six years on the overseers board of the Institute of Civil Justice at the Rand Corporation. He was recognized for many years in The Best Lawyers in America and listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Practitioners. He edited the definitive treatise on the Pennsylvania No-Fault Motor Vehicle Act and was co-author of The Quotable Lawyer. He also established the Joan M. and David S. Shrager Foundation, which supports Philadelphia artists and arts programs for disadvantaged children and an endowment for research and patient care at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. His extensive Penn family includes: his wife Joan Myerson Shrager Ed’60 (whose parents were M. Adolph Myerson W’29 GEd’31 and Ruth Leone Myerson Ed’30); his brother Morton Shrager C’52 M’56; his children, Debbie Shrager C’85 (whose husband is H. Scott Ableman C’85), Jay Shrager L’93, and stepson Stephen Gold C’85; nephews, Jeffrey Shrager EE’80 GEE’80 and Joseph Shrager GM’95, who is an associate professor of surgery and chief of thoracic surgery at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. David Shrager proudly had four grandchildren.
Alan L. Ziet C’57, Jamaica, N.Y., Oct. 10, 2002.
1958 | Robert F. Ashleigh GEd’58, Havertown, Pa., a former administrator at Penn and at Temple University for 22 years; Jan. 10. He was then a consultant at Fulton, Longshore. Also active in real estate for 22 years, he most recently worked with Prudential Fox Roach of Haverford. After active duty in the U.S. Navy for four years, he remained in the Naval Reserve for 18 years, retiring as a commander.
Dr. John W. Goldschmidt GM’58, Avalon, N.J., retired director of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, and the founding dean of Jefferson’s College of Allied Health Sciences; Feb. 9. He was instrumental in broadening the scope of Jefferson’s academic medical center into Thomas Jefferson University. He also served on the faculties of Northwestern university and Georgetown universities. His interest in medical problems of the elderly led him to work extensively in the areas of cancer and stroke rehabilitation. He had served on many national advisory and technical review committees for the NIH and for and voluntary health organizations. Dr. Goldschmidt was president of the American Heart Association of Southeastern Pennsylvania for 1967.
Dr. James W. West Gr’58 M’62 GM’79, Yeadon, Pa., former associate professor of medicine at the Medical School; Feb. 1. He began his teaching duties in the pharmacology department. He then helped establish the NIH-funded Stroke Research Center at the old Philadelphia General Hospital in the 1960s; he remained at the center until the hospital closed in 1976. As an associate professor at Penn he was known as a popular lecturer and laboratory supervisor in pharmacology.
1959 | Thomas J. Affinito Jr. C’59, Glenshaw, Pa., a retired senior officer in the CIA; Feb. 21. After joining in 1962, he held numerous senior assignments in both the United States and abroad. He was chief of the Pittsburgh field office, 1976-82. He later became chief of the New York regional office, the agency’s largest regional field office. He was a member of the U.S. Government’s Senior Executive Service. Following his retirement he served for 14 years as the executive director of the Frazer Transportation Authority. He later was secretary-treasurer of Harmar Township. Active in numerous organizations, he chaired the University’s secondary school committee at Shadyside Academy, and the Alle-Kiski SeniorNet, a computer-learning activity for seniors. He served on a White House panel to evaluate the performance of the U.S. Government’s most senior employees for Presidential Rank Awards. An avid public speaker, he was a division governor of Toastmasters International and held the rank of Distinguished Toastmaster. He was a certified chair umpire of the U.S. Tennis Association, and served as chair umpire with the women’s professional tennis circuit. And he was active in American Kennel Club agility trials.
Dr. Edward T. Cauley GD’59, Naples, Fla., a retired dentist; May 13, 2005.
Robert M. Hanson WG’59, Philadelphia, a marketing consultant for the past 15 years; Feb. 27.
William P. Herron C’59 G’62, Havertown, Pa., an assistant director of research and administration for the Philadelphia School District from 1965 until his retirement in 2000; Jan. 12. Earlier he had been a research associate at Penn’s population-studies center and taught at what was then Trenton State College and Villanova University. An expert in demography, he helped shape the school district’s desegregation policy during the 1960s and 1970s. He continued to teach part-time at Villanova until 2002.
Selwyn A. Horvitz L’59, Philadelphia, a tax attorney for the owners of Philadelphia sports teams and cable television; Feb. 11. He joined the law firm of Fox, Rothschild, O’Brien & Frankel in 1964, leaving as a partner in 1979. For the next 14 years he was a partner with Horvitz, Fisher, Miller & Sedlack, where he represented Ed Snider, the owner of the Flyers hockey team, and Leonard Tose, who owned the Eagles football team. According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, while representing Snider in the 1980s, he was active in the creation of Prism, one of the first local sports cable networks. He was involved in the Wachovia Spectrum and Wachovia Center deals for Snider, and assisted him in the formation of the partnership between Comcast and Spectacor that now owns the Flyers and the 76ers basketball team. John Schapiro, a partner with Horvitz, called him “The gold standard in tax planning. He would not take on a client he didn’t trust completely.” Selwyn Horwitz went on to found his own firm, where he worked until shortly before his death. He helped found the Philadelphia Tax Conference and chaired in for five years in the 1990s. And he taught tax law and estate planning at Temple and Villanova universities for 20 years.
Dr. Kenneth W. Keuffel Gr’59, Lawrenceville, N.J., head football coach at the Lawrenceville School for 21 years, and a former freshman coach at Penn; Feb. 19. As a sophomore football player at Princeton University in 1946, he kicked a 30-yard field goal with less than a minute remaining in the game, giving Princeton a 17-14 victory over Penn. Recruited by the Philadelphia Eagles in 1948, he had a brief professional football career. He became a freshman coach at Penn in 1953, while earning his Ph.D. in English. He began coaching at Lawrenceville in 1954, where he remained for seven years, first as an assistant and then as head coach. He then turned to college coaching and took the Wabash College Little Giants through six winning seasons (1961-66). He returned to Lawrenceville in 1967, where he taught English and coached football until retiring in 1982. Known as Dr. K, he was respected and beloved by students. A former colleague noted, “One simply cannot thumb through the volumes of tributes and letters to him and fail to understand that lives, and lots of them, have been changed and enhanced, indeed transformed, by this man.” He founded and operated the Hall of Fame football clinic, which ran for 20 years and attracted coaching legends such as Joe Paterno, Dick Vermeil, and Bill Belichick. One of the last exponents of the single-wing offence, Dr. Keuffel was the author of two books: Simplified Single-Wing Football (1964) and Winning Single Wing Football: A Simplified Guide for the Football Coach (Swift Press, 2004). During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific Theater.
Kenneth W. Pearce WEv’59, West Chester, Pa., an accountant for 54 years for the old ACE America Insurance Co.; Jan. 5. He was a volunteer and mentor for the Elwyn Institute for many years.
Betty Lou Stibitz NTS’59, Philadelphia, a nurse who had worked in radiation therapy and oncology at Jefferson University Hospital, until her retirement in 1997; Jan. 29.
Dr. Evelyn V. Wiley Gr’59, Birmingham, Ala., Nov. 23.
Donelson F. Hoopes C’60, Steuben, Maine, a museum curator and art historian who was an authority on 19th-century American painting; Feb. 22. Early in his career he was appointed director of the Portland Museum of Art, where he arranged major exhibitions on Winslow Homer and Marsden Hartley. He was the curator of exhibitions and collections at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, 1962-64. There he organized a major exhibition, The Private World of John Singer Sargent, which traveled to three other museums. He also created and wrote the museum’s first recorded tour guide. From 1965 to 1969 he was curator of paintings and sculpture at the Brooklyn Museum. From 1972 to 1975 he was curator of American art at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, where he added major pieces to the collection. He served on the Committee for the Preservation of the White House, 1977-82. As director of the Thomas Cole Foundation, 1983-97, he helped spearhead the restoration of Cedar Grove, the house in the Catskills of the Hudson River Valley artist. He retired in 1997. “At the peak of his career, he was known as a dashingly handsome man with a gift for conversation and a manner that reminded some of a character from a Henry James novel,” according to The Washington Post. He was the author of more than a dozen books, most-notably The American Impressionists (1972) and American Watercolor Painting (1977). He coined the term the American medium to describe the attraction of 19th-century American artists to watercolor painting. After his retirement he occasionally lectured on art and became involved in a local environmental organization, to which he donated his house for use as a retreat for art historians and artists. He had served in the U.S. Army, 1953-55.
Dr. Charles G. Quattrone C’60, Pittsburgh, an emergency medicine physician and surgeon; Jan. 16. His son is David C. Quattrone EE’96 W’96, whose wife is Robyn Cort Quattrone C’95. His brothers are Dr. Paul C. Quattrone C’52, Dr. Anthony F. Quattrone D’58, and Dr. Alfred J. Quattrone C’65.
Check W. Tsoi G’60, Philadelphia, April 1, 2005.
Annie Lin Liem Nu’61, Fairfield, Conn., the vice president of Connecticut Photo Blue, Inc., and co-owner of Budget Print Company; Feb. 7. She began her career working in new-drug clinical research and development at New York University Hospital. She was then the director of finance for the Junior League of Fairfield County. After obtaining a master’s in business administration and finance, she became an assistant vice president for Union Trust Bank. She served on the board of the Housatonic Community College Foundation.
Mary A. Simone Rider NTS’61, Cinnaminson, N.J., the retired director of managed care at Liberty Mutual Insurance Co. in Marlton, N.J., where she had worked for 22 years; Jan. 19.
Dr. Charles R. Smart GM’61, Salt Lake City, a retired physician; Jan. 28.
Nancy K. Connelly CW’62, Westtown, Pa., Dec. 9.
Dr. Ann Ratner Miller Gr’62, Philadelphia, professor emeritus of sociology at the University; Feb. 28. She worked in Penn’s industrial-research department during the 1940s and was a survey statistician at the U.S. Bureau of the Census in the early 1950s. She joined the faculty in 1971 as associate professor and retired as professor in 1987. She was a founding member of Penn’s Population Studies Center. She was part of the first generation of demographers who assembled and analyzed census data to undertake the first systematic study of internal migration within the U.S. “This work dovetailed with her interests in patterns and processes of labor force participation, and she was instrumental in linking changes in the structure of the U.S. economy to shifting patterns of both employment and migration,” said Dr. Herbert Smith, director of the Population Studies Center. Dr. Miller was co-author of two of the landmark volumes in the study of Population Redistribution and Economics Growth in the United States: Population Data, 1870-1960. She chaired the National Research Council’s committee on occupational analysis and classification for the National Academy of Sciences. Known for her intellectual rigor and resourceful efforts to foster the training and careers of graduate students, she was also a former editor of the academic journal Demography. Her husband, Dr. Ervin Miller C’41 Gr’51, is associate professor emeritus of finance. One of her daughters is Dr. Tanfield C. Miller WG’80 G’81 Gr’87. And her brother is Dr. Marc L. Ratner G’51.
William H. Renfrew II GEd’62, Coatesville, Pa., Feb. 25.
Dr. Walter H.K. Watt GM’62, Honolulu, a retired physician; Nov. 7, 2002.
Dr. Benton M. Cole GD’63, Lyndhurst, Ohio, a periodontist; May 1, 2004.
Dr. Amnuay Komalahiranya GM’63, Charleroi, Pa., a retired physician; Nov. 16.
Dr. Marie E. Yevak GrEd’63, Morristown, N.J., July 30, 2005.
Dr. T. Cuyler Young Jr. Gr’63, Toronto, director emeritus of the Royal Ontario Museum; Feb. 7. He was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
Robert C. Ozer W’64 L’67, Manitou Springs, Colo., an attorney; Aug. 8, 2005.
Richard J. Restrepo G’64, Swarthmore, Pa., a retired professor of Spanish at St. Joseph’s University; Jan. 17. He began his teaching career at Temple University and was later a teacher at Harriton High School in Lower Merion. He then spent 11 years as a salesman with Wyeth Labs. In 1963 he returned to teaching, his first love, by joining the faculty at St. Joseph’s (his alma mater), where he remained until his retirement in 1963. He continued to teach, volunteering as an instructor for English as a second language.
Dr. Michael J. Ruggieri C’64 D’68, Philadelphia, a dentist; Nov. 19.
1965 | Dr. Edna Silverman de Angeli Gr’65, Bethlehem, Pa., professor emerita and former chair of Classics at Lehigh University; April 19, 2005. In 1965 she was the first woman to receive a tenure-track appointment to the Lehigh faculty, at a time when all Lehigh students were only men. In 1974 she was the first woman to receive a teaching award there. Her academic specialties were Latin lyric poetry, medieval Latin, and Roman epic. After retiring from teaching full-time in 1982, she volunteered with organizations working for international peace and justice and those aiding the mentally ill. “She was very proud of her graduate education at Penn, which launched her mid-life academic career at Lehigh University,” said her daughter, Nina de Angeli Walls.
Dr. Thayer K. Morrow GM’65, Greensburg, Pa., a retired physician; Jan. 13, 2004.
Dr. Robert J. Dillon C’66, New York, a fund-raising executive for nonprofit and philanthropic organizations; Dec. 16. Most recently he had worked for Edison Schools, Inc. A lover of classical music, he played the clarinet. “He had a lifelong passion for progressive and liberal causes,” said his son Alex.
Dr. Margaret S. Houston CW’66. Laurinburg, N.C., an assistant professor of anthropology and sociology at St. Andrews Presbyterian College; Feb. 9. She was the director of the Indian Museum of the Carolinas in Laurinburg and a lecturer in the departments of sociology and American Indian studies of the University of North Carolina-Pembroke. She traveled to China as a teacher and to Oaxaca, Mexico, as a researcher in paleoethnobotany and a student of pre-Columbian culture. She worked on archeology projects in Laurinburg and preservation of the Mill Prong House in Hoke County. She was the author of numerous papers on China and Mexico; her research interests included tropical agricultural systems, Mesoamerican pottery-making techniques, ceramic analysis, and Chinese archeology. She served as secretary-treasurer of the North Carolina Archaeological Council, 1990-92.
Elizabeth Schmit Nazario CW’66, Pinehurst, N.C., Feb. 22. She worked for IBM Corporation in various capacities, retiring after 33 years. While living in Stamford, Conn., she taught English as a second language and served as a driver for the elderly.
Dr. John F. Schreck D’66 GD’71, Philadelphia, a retired dentist; Oct. 12, 2002.
Samuel Tolotta GEE’66, Media, Pa., June 23, 2005. He was also known as Saverio.
1967 | William B. Bassett G’67, Wynnewood, Pa., an architect and architectural historian for more than 30 years; Feb. 13. He was a restoration architect for Fort Mifflin, the Walnut Street Theatre, and the Bellevue Hotel, all in Philadelphia, and the Grange Estate in Havertown, Pa. In the 1970s he was involved in the reconstruction of Philadelphia’s City Tavern, in the 1980s and was a preservation planner for the city of Camden, N.J. He had been an architectural consultant to the Historic Preservation Trust of Pennsylvania’s Lancaster County. The author of Historic American Building Survey Catalog of New Jersey, he had been working on a forthcoming exhibit at the Philadelphia Athenaeum on local architect Theophilus P. Chandler Jr. He also served as a lecturer at Drexel and Immaculata universities. One of his daughters is Ann Bassett G’83.
Thomas Q. Ciccone Jr. C’67, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., a criminal-defense attorney in Philadelphia for nearly 30 years; March 3. Among his high-profile defendants was Barry A. Saltzburg, who was charged in 1981 with the murder of reputed mobster Harry M. Peetros. While acquitted of the murder charge, Peetros was convicted of robbery and conspiracy. Earlier Ciccone had briefly worked as a salesman, but became an attorney because “he didn’t want anyone telling him what to do,” his wife, Christine, told The Philadelphia Inquirer. “He was the kind of guy you liked a lot or not at all,” she said. During the 1960s he served in the U.S. Marine Corps as a fighter pilot, and was discharged as a captain.
Evelyn A. Clarke G’67, Philadelphia, a professor of chemistry at the Community College of Philadelphia from 1970 until her retirement in 2003; Feb. 21. Earlier she had worked as an industrial chemist at Sadtler Labs in Philadelphia. She was a licensed private pilot and cycling enthusiast; in her early 60s she bicycled across the Rockies into Canada and later solo from Paris to Milan.
Dr. Allan R. Goodman M’67, Eureka, Calif., a physician; Nov. 11, 2004.
Dr. Wen-Lang Li Gr’67, Columbus, Ohio, professor emeritus of sociology at Ohio State University; Jan. 1. He taught there for 37 years, and chaired graduate studies, 1983-85. He had a concurrent appointment as a professor of agricultural economics and rural sociology, 1982-96. From 2000 to 2006 he was a visiting professor at Tunghai University in Taiwan, where he also served as director of the Center for Chinese Social and Management Studies. His teaching and scholarly interests included demography, Chinese studies, research methods, and development policies. He was the author of nearly 100 publications and was active in an editorial capacity for several journals, including serving as the was the executive editor of The American Journal of Chinese Studies, 1992-96; the associate editor of Sociological Quarterly, 1982-84; and the sociology editor of The Digest of Chinese Studies, 1988-96. He served as president of the Ohio Chinese American Academic Professional Association, 1990-92, and as vice president of the American Association for Chinese Studies, 1988-90. He was a Fulbright Scholar in Taiwan in 1977. His diplomatic posts included service as a Senator in Taiwan’s Legislative Yuan, 1996-00; as an adviser to the premier of Taiwan, 2000-05; and as a United Nations consultant at the State Statistical Bureau of the People’s Republic of China in 1983, 1988, and 1990. His contributions to the relations between the state of Ohio and the country of Taiwan were recognized in a citation he received from the Ohio House of Representatives in 1987.
James E. Murray ME’67, Kingman, Ariz., June 12, 2005.
I. Tatnall Starr WG’67, Lafayette Hill, Pa., former vice president of Mitchell, Sinkler & Starr LLC, an investment advisory company in Philadelphia; Jan. 21.
Angelo J. Cerchione GCP’71, Deep Gap, N.C., Nov. 23.
Sylvia L. Ullman CGS’72, North Haven, Conn., Oct. 5, 2004.
Dr. Norman J. Wells G’72, Berea, Ohio, associate professor of chemistry at Baldwin-Wallace College; Jan. 14. Before joining its faculty in 1992, after teaching at a number of Midwestern colleges. Selected as National Faculty Member of the Year by Alpha Phi sorority in 2002, he turned the cash award over to the local chapter. Also that year, in memory of his mother, he used his inheritance to establish the McIntyre Summer Research Fellowship at the college.
1974 | Gregory Hemberger GAr’74, Norwich, Vt., a partner with Banwell Architects in Lebanon for more than 20 years; Jan. 28. He designed the Dresden School District’s new Richmond Middle School and was the architect for major renovations at Hanover High School, Thetford Academy, and Kimball Union Academy. In 1999 he designed a 400-seat meetinghouse and theater for Proctor Academy in Andover, N.H. Earlier he had won recognition from the American Institute of Architects for a condominium design. He had served on the boards of the Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital and Norwich Day Care Center.
1975 | Dr. Bernard S. Bloom Gr’75, Philadelphia, retired research professor of medicine at the University; Feb. 5. He began his career at Penn in 1974 as an associate professor in the community-medicine department. For over 30 years he worked in different departments, including medicine, health-care systems, dental-care systems and prevention, psychiatry, and research medicine. He also worked at the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, the Institute on Aging, and in the Wharton School. Earlier he had sold books for an educational-publishing company and operated a long-term-care facility in Boston for three years. From 1968 to 1977 he taught preventive and social medicine at Harvard University’s medical school, while earning his doctorate from Penn. He was a visiting professor at Groupe Image, l’École Nationale de la Santé Publique in Paris, 1996-97. During 2002-03 he was visiting professor at Sweden’s University of Linköping and at the Swedish Council of Technology Assessment in Health Care in Stockholm. He was a consultant for the World Health Organization in Europe and head of research for the Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center. He was widely published in professional journals, with his research and teaching focusing on national and international health-policy issues, evaluation of economic and quality of life outcomes with special emphasis on the elderly. In 2004 he led a study at Penn that looked at 464 breast cancer patients who had surgery and post-operative care. According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, the study found that only 45% of the patients received optimal treatment. His daughter is Dr. Laura A. Bloom C’85 and one of his sons is Peter L. Bloom C’05 CGS’05.
Dr. Georges S. Hirsch Gr’76 Hanoi, Vietnam, Feb. 13, 2005.
Dr. Kenneth B. Platt Gr’76, Teaneck, N.J., June 1, 2005.
Philip J. Whitcome WG’76, Madison, Conn., Dec. 6.
1978 | Dr. Eisa Mozaffari GD’78 GD’80 D’04, Blue Bell, Pa., clinical assistant professor of oral medicine in the Dental School; Jan. 7. Before returning to Penn in 1999, he was dean of the Shiraz University School of Dental Medicine in Iran, where he played a critical role in the development of advanced educational programs. He recently served as director of the Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology Clinic. Known as a devoted teacher and skillful practitioner, he was an ardent student advocate and mentor. “His passion for his family, work, and students is exemplary and will never be forgotten,” said a colleague. His daughter is Raha Mozaffari C’08.
Eunice Rodman Packer CGS’78 GEd’78, Lafayette Hill, Pa., Jan. 8.
1981 | Marion C. Friedman CGS’81, Cherry Hill, N.J., retired administrative assistant at the College of General Studies; Dec. 28. In 1960 she came to Penn as a student, taking a course in German in order to communicate with a resident in her father’s nursing home. She became secretary in the chemistry department in 1966, continuing her education during her lunch breaks. About 10 years later she transferred to the advising office of the College of General Studies. In 1981, after 21 years of part-time study, she earned her bachelor’s in German. She helped organize Penn’s Ice-Skating Club and served on the open expression committee in the 1980s. A participant in the Big Sister Program, she was also vice president of Beauty Without Cruelty, an animal activist organization. She retired in 1995, after a nearly 30-year career at the University.
Edward J. Kelleher WG’82, Seoul, the managing director and country executive officer for Korea and Japan for the Bank of America; Jan. 9. He had served two terms as chair of the Foreign Bankers’ Group between 1999 and 2005, and was a key adviser to the Seoul metropolitan government for its policies toward foreigners. He had recently been elected governor of the American Chamber of Commerce in Korea.
Dr. Jon M. Kraut D’82, Trenton, N.J., an orthodontist who practiced in Bucks County, Pa.; Feb. 3. Earlier he had taken over his father’s orthodontics practice in Trenton. At one time he was ranked number one in the Middle States section of the U.S. Tennis Association and he was an Atlantic Coast Conference tennis champion. Two of his brothers are Dr. Eric J. Kraut CGS’86 and Dr. Robert J. Kraut C’88.
Dr. Marianne Mierley Hanlon M’84, Hollidaysburg, Pa., a physician; April 12, 2002.
1985 | Dr. Steven S. Goldberg Gr’85, Philadelphia, an adjunct professor at the University’s Graduate School of Education from 1990 to 2004; Feb. 1. A specialist in education and the law, he was a professor of education and the coordinator of the Educational Leadership Program at Arcadia University for nearly 20 years. He also held teaching positions at Rutgers University Law School and the University of North Dakota. In the late 1970s he was a lawyer for the Education Law Center in Philadelphia and recently served on the board of the Education Law Association. Also interested in negotiation and mediation in education, he published in various law journals. His books include Special Education Law and A Digest of Supreme Court Cases in Education.
Robert F. Ashleigh. See Class of 1958.
Dr. E. Howard Bedrossian. See Class of 1949.
Dr. Bernard S. Bloom. See Class of 1975.
Marion C. Friedman. See Class of 1981.
Dr. Steven S. Goldberg. See Class of 1985.
Dr. A. John Graham, Cambridge, U.K., professor emeritus and former chair of of Classical studies; Dec. 26. He began his teaching career at Bedford College, London. In 1957 he joined the faculty at the University of Manchester, where he taught for 20 years. He came to Penn in 1977 as the Allen Memorial Professor of Greek and professor of Classical studies. Until his retirement in 1995, he chaired, at various times, the department, the graduate group in Classical studies, and the graduate group in ancient history. With his strong interest in the religious and cultural history of the ancient Mediterranean world, he played a leading role in fostering the expansive and interdisciplinary emphasis of Penn’s innovative graduate program in ancient history. Dr. Martin Ostwald, professor emeritus of Classical studies, recalled that “his sharp historical acumen, his intellectual clarity, and his compassionate nature … found resonance among his students and colleagues alike.” In 2002 former students published his festschrift, Oikistes: Studies in Constitutions, Colonies, and Military Power in the Ancient World Offered in Honor of A. J. Graham. Considered one of the foremost authorities on colonization in the ancient Greek world, Dr. Graham was the author of the prize-winning book Colony and Mother City in Ancient Greece (1964, reprinted 1983), and numerous articles and reviews. He also published on Roman imperial history and co-edited a volume in honor of his teacher Victor Ehrenberg, Polis und Imperium (1965). During World War II he served in the British Army.
Dr. Kenneth W. Keuffel. See Class of 1959.
Dr. Robert L. Mayock. See Class of 1942.
Dr. Henry N. Michael. See Class of 1948.
Dr. Ann Ratner Miller. See Class of 1962.
Dr. Eisa Mozaffari. See Class of 1978.
Dr. David Norman Ness, Gladwyne, Pa., a former professor and vice dean of the Wharton School; Feb. 18. Before coming to Penn he was a faculty member at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he also worked on Project MAC, the pioneering research project that significantly advanced the development of computer operating systems. He became associate professor of management at Wharton in 1973. He was later appointed associate professor of decision sciences while holding a secondary appointment in management. And he served as vice dean of undergraduate studies for several years. After retiring from Penn in the late 1980s, he continued working as a consultant until 1993. He served as director of electronic data processing at TV Guide, and developed a confidential information management system for the investment bank Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette, Inc., in New York. A member of the business advisory board at LaSalle College, Dr. Ness also served on the editorial boards of The Wharton Magazine and Sloan Management Review.
Dr. James W. West Gr’58 M’62 GM’79. See Class of 1958.
Dr. Margaret Gray Wood. See Class of 1953.