Louis Ratener W’29, Naples, Fla., former owner of several motion-picture theaters in the Akron, Ohio, area; Feb. 4. He was 101 years old.
Marguerite Townsend Kelsey Ed’33 PSW’43, Hockessin, Del., a former social worker who later served as a counselor at Tatnall School in Wilmington; Oct. 4.
Dr. Clarence D. Parks V’33, Lake Ariel, Pa., a retired veterinarian who was a former state inspector for dairy herds; Jan. 27.
Alexander Willis W’33 GEd’39, Wynnewood, Pa., a retired mathematics and accounting teacher at South Philadelphia High School; Nov. 7.
William E. Buckley C’36, Palm Beach, Fla., a retired publishing executive; Dec. 17.
Charles B. Finley III W’36, Annapolis, Md., retired East Coast regional manager of recruitment and employment for IBM; Feb. 12. He was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy Reserve, 1943-46.
Solomon Friss C’36, Margate City, N.J., retired partner in the Atlantic City law firm of McGhan & Friss; Jan. 22. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army and was awarded the Bronze Star for his participation in the Battle of the Bulge.
Henry R. Lerner C’36, Saint Louis, Mo., a retired buyer for the May’s Department Stores; March 10.
Dr. Charles M. Howell Jr. M’37, Winston-Salem, N.C., retired chair of dermatology at the Wake Forest University medical school; Nov. 8. He had maintained a practice, into his 90s. During World War II he served in the U.S. Air Force as a surgeon in the Far East.
Ida Nemez Michael CW’37, Ardmore, Pa., a former pharmacology researcher for the old Sharp & Dohme; Jan. 26. She served for many years as a volunteer counselor at the Domestic Abuse Project of Delaware County. Her husband, Dr. Henry N. Michael CCC’48 Gr’54, a long-time senior fellow of Penn’s Museum Applied Science Center for Archaeology, died in 2006. (See “Obituaries,” July/Aug. 2006.)
Catherine Connors Kane Ed’38 GEd’39, Wynnewood, Pa., Jan. 4. She had retired from the Pennsylvania welfare department.
Dr. H. David Prensky C’38 D’43, Palm Beach, Fla., a retired dentist who maintained a practice in Mexico City for many years; Sept. 16. During World War II he served as a ship’s dentist with the U.S. Navy in the Pacific.
B. Franklin Reinauer II W’38, Green Pond, N.J., the retired president of Reinauer Petroleum Company, Reinauer Realty Corp., and Clear Meadow Company; Jan. 24. He was a former mayor and commissioner of the Village of Ridgewood. A member of Theta Chi fraternity at Penn, he received the University’s Alumni Award of Merit in 1995, and at the time of his death was president of the Class of 1938 and chair of “The Old Guard.” In 1998 he, Art Saxon W’60 G’93, and the late Charles Ludwig C’53 L’56, founded an annual birthday celebration in Philadelphia for Benjamin Franklin; at Franklin’s 300th birthday in January 2006, he received the Franklin Bowl award. (See “Ben’s Big Day,” March/April 2006.) During World War II he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, seeing action in the Atlantic, Mediterranean, and the Pacific. His son is B. Franklin Reinauer III W’65.
Emanuel H. Shoemaker Jr. W’38, North Platte, Neb., manager of the Mildale Ranch, Jan. 9.
Dr. Lawton C. Thomas C’38 D’40, Park Ridge, N.J., a retired dentist who had maintained a practice in northern New Jersey for 40 years; Nov. 5. His wife is Virginia Uhler Thomas DH’40. His sons, Dr. Lawton C. Thomas Jr. C’65 D’69 and Cmdr. Joseph W. Thomas C’69, recalled him as “a loyal son of Penn,” who “regaled his family often with tales of row bottoms and big-game throngs at Franklin Field. We knew the words to ‘Hang Jeff Davis’ in grammar
Edward Felbin C’39, Philadelphia, former Philadelphia radio personality and entrepreneur; March 3. known as Frank Ford, he was considered a pioneer of the two-way format talk radio. He also owned radio station WFLN (WDVT) and co-created the Valley Forge Music Fair. His wife is Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham.
Dr. Alvin F. Sellers V’39, Trumansburg, N.Y., a retired comparative gastroenterologist at Cornell University; Jan. 19, 2008. During World War II he served with the 1st Medical Mobile Laboratory in North Africa and Europe.
John P. Wiedemer W’39, Houston, a retired executive in the oil and gas industry; Jan. 28. During World War II he was a flight instructor for the U. S. Navy.
BACK TO TOP
Peter R. Chiappetta CE’40, Greenwich, Conn., retired owner and operator of a construction and civil-engineering business; Feb. 4. During World War II he served in France with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and in Okinawa, where he supervised the completion of the airfield.
John R. Haug C’40 ME’42, South Freeport, Maine, a retired engineer with what is now Raytheon Engineers & Constructors; Jan. 16. He had served with the U.S. Navy Occupation Forces in Japan.
Jack Kassow W’40, Phoenixville, Pa., Aug. 5, 2007.
Marie Deasey Beatty Ed’41, Haverford, Pa., co-owner of Beatty Lumber Co.; Feb. 6.
Dr. David K. Detweiler C’41 V’42 G’49, emeritus professor of physiology and animal biology in the School of Veterinary Medicine; February 15. He joined the faculty in 1942, then acted as head of physiology and pharmacology (1944-47). In 1962 he became professor of physiology, with a joint appointment in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. From 1962 to 1968 he served as head of the Laboratory of Physiology and Pharmacology in the Veterinary School. From 1964 to 1970 he was professor of physiology in Penn’s Division of Graduate Medicine, and in 1970 he became head of the Graduate Group in Comparative Medical Science. He specialized in comparative cardiology. He retired in 1995. His honors include the Gaines Award and Medal from the American Veterinary Medical Association in 1960. In 1974 he was elected a member of the National Academy of Sciences, and in 1982 the World Small Animal Veterinary Association established the D. K. Detweiler Prize for cardiovascular research, especially in small animals. He was also honored by the Penn Vet School with the Centennial Medal.
Joseph H. Judd WEv’41, Winston-Salem, N.C., retired owner of a CPA firm; Oct. 6. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.
Dr. Jack J. Labold V’41, Hopkinsville, Ky., a retired veterinarian in private practice; Dec. 28.
William R. Lenhard W’41, Baltimore, retired owner of a real-estate and a title company; Jan. 31. At Penn he was a member of the rowing team. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army’s Quartermaster Corps and was stationed in North Africa and Europe; he attained the rank of captain.
Dr. Wilbur M. Lutz M’41 GM’47, Wernersville, Pa., Nov. 4.
Dr. Maston K. Callison GM’42, Memphis, Tenn., retired dean of the University of Tennessee medical school; Dec. 17. A captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps during World War II, he became assistant chief medical officer of the American hospital in Berlin.
Dr. Herbert H. Feld D’42, Fort Myers, Fla., Oct. 12.
Dr. Beverly Graves Jr. C’42, Furlong, Pa., a retired physician who had maintained a practice in North Philadelphia for 50 years; Feb. 2. He was the second African American doctor to serve on the staff of Pennsylvania Hospital.
Morton R. Jacobs W’42, Beverly, Mass., Oct. 10.
Dr. Tom S. Medane C’42 M’45, State College, Pa., a pediatrician and retired director of outpatient services at Centre Community Hospital; Sept. 21. At Penn he was a member of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity and the men’s varsity swim team.
Martha Stengel Miller CCC’42, Philadelphia, Dec. 30.
Arthur M. Rubin W’42, Wynnewood, Pa., Feb. 5.
Dr. Russell E. Smith V’42, Orleans, Mass., retired professor of veterinary and animal sciences at Massachusetts State College; June 20, 2008.
Dr. E. Osborne Coates Jr. M’43 GM’47, Topsham, Maine, the retired assistant medical director of a local veterans hospital; Nov. 11.
Mary Brigham Gowing PSW’43, Seattle, a former family social worker in Wilmington, Del., and Ithaca, N.Y.; Feb. 18.
Charles B. Haentze Ch’43, Phoenix, a retired engineer for Motorola; Jan. 20, 2008. During World War II he served in the U.S Navy in the South Pacific.
Caroline Laing Hosmer CW’43, Wilmington, N.C., Feb. 28. At Penn she was a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. She had worked as a paralegal and real estate agent, and taught learning to disabled children. During World War II she served stateside as an ensign in the U.S. Navy. Her husband is Howard B. Hosmer Jr. W’43 and her son is Stephen L. Hosmer ME’72.
John J. Keating Jr. W’43, Bryn Mawr, Pa., former president and chair of J. J. Keating Company, makers of special industrial belting; Jan. 26. At Penn he played center on the 1940 championship lightweight football team. During World War II he served in the U.S. Marine Corps, participating in the invasion of Okinawa, and was later stationed in China. His wife is Marjorie Haines Keating CW’45.
Dr. Anne Wight Phillips M’43 GM’47, Weston, Mass., a retired surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital; Feb. 12.
Dr. Truman G. Schnabel Jr. ME’43 GME’47, Bryn Mawr, Pa., the C. Mahlon Kline Professor Emeritus of Medicine and Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Medicine; March 10. He was a third generation graduate of Penn’s School of Medicine. He was appointed an assistant professor in 1954, became associate professor two years later, and professor in 1963. In 1956 he was the first member of Penn’s medical school to be assigned full-time to the old Philadelphia General Hospital, where he served until the hospital closed in 1977, first as ward chief and then as chief of the University service. After over three decades, he retired from teaching in 1989 but remained at Penn, serving as acting director of the Institute of Aging during the 1990s. He was accorded emeritus status in 1994. In 2001 the Medical School established the William Maul Measey-Truman G. Schnabel Jr. Chair in Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology. Dr. Schnabel’s honors and awards include the School of Medicine’s Distinguished Graduate Award, its Lifetime Achievement Award, and Penn’s Alumni Award of Merit. An occasional essayist and medical historian, he co-wrote It’s Your Body: Know What the Doctor Ordered—Your Complete Guide to Medical Testing. During World War II he was a U.S. Army captain serving in a medical battalion in the Philippines.
Jessie Curtis Daniels PSW’45, Fairfax Station, Va., a retired social worker; Nov. 1.
Dr. Russell D. Squires M’45 GM’49, Augusta, Maine, a retired physician; Feb. 11. At the end of World War II, he served as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in Germany.
Marjorie A. Underhill CW’45, Bay City, Mich., a retired research scientist for Pfizer Inc.; Feb. 4.
Frederick H. Wandelt Jr. C’45, Mount Laurel, N.J., retired executive vice president and credit manager at the Bank of New York; July 30, 2000.
Dr. Warren W. Hampe Jr. M’46, Haverford, Pa., a retired psychoanalyst and former teacher of psychiatry at Temple University; Jan. 28. A polio survivor, he had served at the U.S. Army Hospital in Fort Jay, N.Y., treating World War II veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
Dr. Milton M. Heskel C’46 M’48, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., former chief of endocrinology at Albert Einstein Medical Center; Feb. 17. He maintained a private practice in endocrinology and diabetes until January.
Dr. Herman M. Panzer M’46 GM’52, Lafayette Hill, Pa., a retired dermatologist and former chief of dermatology at Germantown Hospital; March 11. His surviving family includes Elinor Silvert Panzer CW’47, Dr. Peter B. Panzer C’70, Dr. Patt E. Panzer C’78, and Dr. Scott M. Panzer C’81.
Mary Ann Savard NTS’46, York, Pa., Sept. 29. Her daughter is Dr. Marie A. Savard Nu’72 M’76 GM’80, a trustee of the University, who serves on the overseers board of Penn Nursing and the board of Penn Alumni.
William Jackson Jr. ME’47, San Francisco, a retired engineer with Lockheed Corp.; Feb. 5. At Penn he was a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity. During World War II and the Korean War he served as an engineering specialist in the U.S. Navy.
Dr. William B. Castetter Gr’48, Gladwyne, Pa., emeritus professor of education; Feb. 23. appointed to the faculty in 1948, he served as director of the Center for Field Studies from 1960 until his retirement. He was acting dean twice (1967-68 and 1974-75). In 1974 he received the the Helen C. Bailey Alumni Award of Distinction for significant service to the school. He retired in 1980. Dr. Castetter’s college textbook, The Human Resources Function in Educational Administration, has seen seven editions and is regarded as definitive.
Louis Y. Errickson C’48, Haddonfield, N.J., Oct. 1. At Penn he was president of his fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon. He had worked for Strawbridge & Clothier for over 35 years. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army in Asia.
Louis Goldfine W’49, Narberth, Pa., the retired head of Glickman, Berkovitz, Levinson & Weiner, an accounting firm; Jan. 22. During World War II he served with the U.S. Third Army in Europe in the Battle of the Bulge and the liberation of Bastogne.
Donald H. Nauta Ar’49, West Chester, Pa., a retired architect and senior associate with the Architectural Alliance in Malvern; March 2. Serving in the U.S. Army Signal Corps During World War II, he participated in the Normandy Invasion, the Battle of the Bulge, and the liberation of the Nordhausen concentration camp.
Dr. Robert H. Okada GEE’49 GrE’57, San Jose, Calif., professor of electrical engineering at the University, 1955-61; Oct. 11. After moving to California, he founded an electronics company in Sunnyvale, and was its president for 42 years.
Dr. Walter B. Shelley GM’49, Grand Rapids, Ohio, former professor and long-time chair of dermatology at the University; Jan. 30. He was appointed to the standing faculty in 1950. His research on the secretion of the armpit glands led to antiperspirants; he devised a test to detect penicillin sensitivity; and he found the cell causing allergic reaction to poison ivy. After leaving Penn, he joined the dermatology faculty at the University of Toledo, retiring in 1997. Dr. Shelley wrote the textbook Dermatology (1956), and an autobiography, The Skin Around Me: Adventures in Dermatology (2007).
BACK TO TOP
Maj. Rennie Archibald III W’50, Pleasant Hill, Calif., a retired major in the U.S. Air Force, who had served in World War II and the Vietnam War; March 9. He later worked for the federal Department of Health and Human Services.
John E. Crocco Ar’50, Old Greenwich, Conn., a retired architect who had worked for Eggers & Higgins; Jan. 5. At Penn he was a member of the Mask & Wig Club (with several lead roles), the Hexagon Society, and Sigma Nu fraternity. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps and the 42nd Rainbow Division, attaining the rank of first lieutenant: he received four Battle Stars and a Victory Medal. His brother is Bruce A. Crocco W’56.
Elliott L. Feinberg W’50, Boone, N.C., the retired owner of Florida Beverage Corp.; Sept. 14.
Charles G. Grandy ME’50 GME’61, Naples, Fla., owner and operator of Graphics by Grandy, a computer-graphics firm for architects and other clients; July 21, 2008. Known as “Gus,” he was a member of the Penn Alumni Club of Southwest Florida. He had served in the U.S. Air Force, piloting B29s and other aircraft during and after the Korean War. His wife is Helena Mitchell Grandy CW’53.
Paul Kaczmarczik GEE’50, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., emeritus professor of physics at Drexel University; Jan. 20.
Ralph F. Magnotta WEv’50, Broomall, Pa., a retired IRS field agent and certified public accountant; Jan. 13.
Dr. Henry D. McIntosh M’50, Lakeland, Fla., a retired physician and past president of the American College of Cardiology; Dec. 26. For his service in the U.S. Parachute Infantry during World War II, he was awarded a Silver Star, Croix de Guerre, and two Bronze Stars.
Dr. Graham M. Miller V’50, Brodhead, Wis., former owner of the Brodhead Veterinary Service, which he operated for 24 years; Jan. 2. After leaving the veterinary practice he was a produce farmer from 1974 to 1995.
Judson M. Roney W’50, Palmyra, N.Y., a retired town assessor and former building inspector; Jan. 8.
Norman Stevens W’50, Wynnewood, Pa., Jan. 15.
Dolph J. Tokarczyk W’50, Philadelphia, Feb. 25. At Penn he was a member of the Friars Senior Society and Beta Theta Pi fraternity. He was captain of the freshman football team under Coach George Munger Ed’33. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Force as a heavy-bomber crew chief while playing football for both the 3rd Air Force and Air Force Championship teams. After returning to Penn he was both a varsity guard and a linebacker and was elected to the Penn State All-Opponent Team during his final season. As a building contractor in Philadelphia, he remodeled many of the houses in University City, including his own. His other projects included the Margate and Hatboro post offices. Later he became an insurance adjustor and appraiser for Harleysville Insurance Co. and other firms, working until this February. Known as “Cheeky” and “Mr. T.,” he continued to attend Penn functions and sporting events throughout his life. His wife is Carole DiNinni Tokarczyk G’69 and his sons are Dolph M. Tokarczyk W’89, Justyn G. Tokarczyk W’93, Gregory C. Tokarczyk C’04, and Jan J. Tokarczyk GGS’05 GEd’06.
Dr. John D. Anderson III M’51, Wellsboro, Pa., a retired anesthesiologist who practiced at Hahnemann and Bryn Mawr hospitals; Dec. 29. During World War II he was a private in the U.S. Army’s 9th Infantry Division, 39th Regiment, in Europe, for which he received a Purple Heart and two Bronze Stars. His wife is Deborah Kantz Anderson CW’51 and his brother is Dr. W. Robert Anderson M’58.
Harold J. Clerkin W’51, Atherton, Calif., the retired vice president and general manager of the Aetna Insurance Company, Oct. 24, 2007.
William F.C. Frey C’51, McConnellsburg, Pa., Feb. 13. He was retired from the Naval Publications and Forms Center in Philadelphia.
Dr. Harold O. Hallstrand GM’51, Miami, a retired surgeon who had maintained a practice with his brother in Miami; Oct. 11, 2006. He also taught at the University of Miami School of Medicine.
Dr. Frederick W. Keith Jr. Gr’51, Haverford, Pa., Nov. 30.
Adriena M. Linehan Nu’51 GEd’53, Media, Pa., a former lecturer at the old nursing school at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for 21 years; Feb. 12. In 2005 Penn recognized her as a Woman Pioneer in the advancement of women through education. During World War II she served in the U.S. Army Nurse Corps in Europe, achieving the rank of captain.
Morton Peterson W’51, Briarcliff Manor, N.Y., retired financial vice president at Block Drug; Feb. 18.
Marie Dazio Pietschmann NTS’51, Port Richey, Fla., a retired registered nurse for the veterans hospital in Coatesville, Pa.; Sept. 9, 2005.
Dr. Melvin W. Stern D’51, Chestnut Hill, Mass., a retired orthodontist who had maintained a practice in Norwood for nearly 35 years; Jan. 9.
Francis K. Justus Jr. WG’52, Smithville, Mo., a retired developer who founded the Mill Bridge Management Corp. and Smithville Leasing Corp.; Feb. 10.
Joanne Smoyer Leer WG’52, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., April 28, 2008.
Hugh Stockdell III WG’52, Hartfield, Va., Dec. 2. He worked for 30 years at Fort Lee, writing manuals for the U.S. Army.
Thomas L. Finkelstein C’54, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala, former senior director of communications and literacy programs for UNESCO, serving in Paris and India; Feb. 25. At Penn he was a member of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity and the Franklin Society, and was executive editor of The Daily Pennsylvanian. In retirement, he had operated a small restaurant in Guatemala.
Dr. William L. Hires GEd’54 Gr’72, Haverford, Pa., retired academic dean at the Curtis Institute of Music; Feb. 14. He had worked at Penn, latterly as an assistant to the president and then secretary of the University.
Eugene F. Jarrell Jr. Ar’54, Rose Valley, Pa., a principal in the local architecture firm Jarrell Chapman & Gauzza; Jan. 9.
John A. Penrod Gr’54, Micanopy, Fla., emeritus professor of English at the University of Florida; April 12, 2008.
1955 | Steven Becker W’55, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., Dec. 2.
E. Jean Deeter Nu’55, Mechanicsburg, Pa., former director of nursing at Harrisburg Hospital; Dec. 2. She served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army Nurse Corps in Korea, 1945-46.
Dr. Martha S. Putney Gr’55, Bloomfield Hills, Mich., a retired historian at Bowie State and Howard universities; Dec. 11. She wrote When the Nation Was in Need: Blacks in the Women’s Army Corps During World War II.
Lt. Col. Ruth C. Tewes Nu’55, St. Petersburg, Fla., a retired nurse and nurse educator who had served in the U.S. Army overseas; Dec. 19.
Jane F. Abernethy GEd’56, Haverford, Pa., May 10, 2008.
Edward F. Beatty Jr. L’56, Villanova, Pa., a retired partner and former chair of the real-estate department in the Philadelphia law firm of Saul Ewing; Jan. 25.
Dr. Alice C. Boehret GEd’56, Marlton, N.J., a retired nurse who helped to establish the baccalaureate-nursing program at Rutgers University; Nov. 20.
Dr. George A. Franko V’56, Nicholson, Pa., retired owner of a veterinary practice in Spring House; Dec. 28.
Dr. Irwin Kantor GM’56, Summit, N.J., a retired clinical professor of dermatology at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine; Feb. 2.
Theodore D. Miller W’56, Bensalem, a retired certified public accountant; Jan. 28.
Dr. Saraleah Cahan Zaslow PT’56, Philadelphia, Feb. 1.
Patricia B. Anderson OT’57, Morrisville, Pa., Feb. 16.
John W. Dean III L’57, Largo, Fla., an attorney and founder of Dean & McCoy law firm in Langhorne, Pa.; Feb. 12.
Samuel L. Glantz L’57, Elkins Park, Pa., Aug. 26.
Dr. Robert E. Rowand GM’57, Westfield, N.J., Nov. 29, 2006.
Dr. Alvin H. Saltzbart D’57, Colts Neck, N.J., a retired dentist who had maintained a practice for over 30 years; March 28, 2008.
Dale F. Christopher WG’58, Springfield, Pa., former director of transportation for the Foote Mineral Company and for Phoenix Steel Corp.; Jan. 18.
Dr. Frank J. Faustini D’58, Little Ferry, N.J., a retired dentist; Jan. 23.
Martin H. Kahn W’58, Watertown, Mass., former owner and operator of a travel agency in Cambridge; Feb. 12.
Alexander M. MacColl G’58, Holyoke, Mass., a retired assistant headmaster at Friends Select School in Philadelphia; Feb. 1.
Dr. David C. Northcross Jr. GM’58, Detroit, retired director of Mercy General Hospital, the first African American-owned proprietary hospital in Detroit, which had been founded by his parents in 1916; Jan. 12.
Dr. Lily Ruckstuhl GM’58, Fountain Hills, Ariz., Nov. 24.
Dr. William P. Graham III M’59 GM’78, Thomasville, Pa., a retired professor of surgery and chief of plastic and reconstructive surgery at Penn State University; Oct. 7, 2006.
Dr. Dana N. Weeder M’59, New Castle, Del., a surgeon with the Exeter Clinic in Pennsylvania for 30 years; Oct. 28. During his service in the U.S. Navy, he founded a field hospital in Chu Lai, Vietnam.
BACK TO TOP
Arthur J. Blyden ChE’60 WG’67, Jupiter, Fla., June 4, 2008.
Dr. R. Fenton Duvall Gr’60, Pompano Beach, Fla., retired professor of history at Whitworth University in Spokane, Wash.; Nov. 10.
Dr. Richard W. Kennedy V’60, Bangor, Pa., a retired partner in the Ackerman Veterinary Hospital and Wind Gap Veterinary Clinic; Feb. 1.
John M. Meyers WG’60, Haverford, Pa., a retired marketing manager for IBM; Jan. 29.
Dr. Harriet A. Doolittle V’61, Pine Hill, N.J., the retired director of the veterinary-assistants program at Camden County College; Jan. 31.
Dr. Cyril A. Evans GEd’61 Gr’73, Browns Mills, N.J., Nov. 23.
Herbert W. Larson L’61, Largo, Fla., a retired patent counsel for the DuPont Company; March 2.
David J. Mervis C’61, New York, Feb. 2, 2008.
James E. Kunde WG’62, Arlington, Tex., Feb. 10.
Stephen J. Moses L’62, Englewood, N.J., a retired attorney and Democratic political adviser and fundraiser; March 7. His wife, Hon. Sybil Rappaport Moses G’62, died in January.
Hon. Sybil Rappaport Moses G’62, Englewood, N.J., a retired New Jersey Superior Court judge and the first woman to hold that position; Jan. 23. Her husband, Stephen J. Moses L’62, died in March.
Rose Pinneo GEd’62, Sebring, Fla., a retired nurse who helped develop coronary-care units in the U.S.; July 7, 2008.
Joseph W. Takacs W’62, Valley Stream, N.Y., June 14, 2008.
Ronald E. Lawson WG’63, Annandale, Va., retired director of the National Technical Information Service of the U.S. Commerce Department; Feb. 11.
James J. Mansell GEE’63, Fair Haven, N.J., a retired electrical engineer at AT&T-Bell Labs in Holmdel; July 2, 2006.
Neil J. McAloon C’63 WG’68, Berwyn, Pa., Jan. 14.
Dr. Thomas A. Reiner Gr’63, New York, emeritus professor of regional planning in the School of Arts and Sciences; March 3. He was appointed an assistant professor of regional science in 1963. He held secondary appointments in the departments of city and regional planning School of Design and organizational dynamics in the School of Arts and Sciences. He also directed the urban-studies program in the mid-1980s. He retired in 1993 as emeritus professor of regional science and in 1998 was appointed emeritus professor of organizational dynamics. He continued to advise students at Penn until a few months ago. He wrote The Place of the Ideal Community in Urban Planning (1963).
Dr. Edgar J. Denlinger GEE’64 GrE’69, Princeton Junction, N.J., a retired electrical engineer with the Sarnoff Corp.; Oct. 4.
Robert F. Fairchild C’64, New York, president and CEO of the House of Burgundy, a wine importer; Feb. 16. He was a member of the Board of Overseers of Penn’s School of Veterinary Medicine.
Bruce Fischer W’64, Wynnewood, Pa., Dec. 3.
Dr. Richard E. Shelling M’64, Sayre, Pa., a physician who served on the staff at the Guthrie Clinic for nearly 30 years; Jan. 24, 2008.
Dr. John J. Shelly Jr. V’64, Bethlehem, Pa., the retired owner and operator of the John J. Shelly Veterinarian Clinic; Feb. 6.
John J. Gray GEd’65, Flourtown, Pa., retired senior executive vice president of financial services at Janney Montgomery Scott; March 3.
Rabbi Alan J. Lew C’65, San Francisco, rabbi emeritus at Congregation Beth Sholom in San Francisco; Jan. 12.
Allan M. Elfman L’66 WG’68, New York, Aug. 1, 2008.
Dr. Charles D. Laidlaw GCP’66 Gr’68, Baltimore, an urban planner; Aug. 27, 2008.
Robin Benensohn-Rosefsky Wood CW’66, Weston, Mass., former chair of theater at the Cambridge School of Weston; Feb. 23.
Dr. John C. Bell M’67, North Wales, Pa., a retired neurologist; Jan. 25. During the Vietnam War he served as a physician at Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu.
Barbara Tripp Berman CW’67, Bryn Mawr, Pa., Feb. 10.
Dr. John J. DeLuccia Sr. GMt’67 Gr’76, Paoli, Pa., a retired senior engineer and manager of the aerospace-materials division at the U.S. Naval Air Development Center in Warminster; Jan. 19. He served as an adjunct professor and senior fellow in Penn’s materials-science and engineering department from 1992 until late last year.
Janee Armstrong Friedmann G’67, Longmeadow, Mass., former chair of the Springfield Library; March 21, 2007.
Dr. Tessie Bregman Okin GrS’69, Haverford, Pa., emeritus professor of social administration at Temple University; Feb. 1.
BACK TO TOP
Rear Adm. Robert F. Knouss M’70, Adelphi, Md., an assistant surgeon-general in the U.S. Public Health Service; July 10, 2007.
C. Russell Scoville WG’70, Washington, Va., retired program manager for the Urban Mass Transit Administration; Feb. 16.
Steven R. Waxman L’70, Philadelphia, a retired employment and labor-law attorney who went on to become an advocate for patients with Parkinson’s disease; Feb. 2.
Peter H. Dominick GAr’71, Denver, founding president and chair of 4240 Architecture, Inc.; Jan. 1. His designs included high-profile hotels for the Walt Disney Company.
Diana H. Allen Metcalf G’71, Haverford, Pa., founder of Floradia Designs, a garden business; March 2.
Elizabeth Gay Forbes CW’72, Venice, Calif., former deputy director of the Boston Redevelopment Authority; Feb. 2. From 1991 to 2008 she worked as an urban planner for several southern California cities.
Cynthia E. Holloway WG’75, New York, assistant treasurer of Alcoa Aluminum Company; Nov. 14.
Dr. Richard J. Clement V’77, Potomac, Md., owner and operator of Seven Locks Animal Hospital; Feb. 4.
BACK TO TOP
Dr. Alan A. Herschenfeld EAS’83, Agoura Hills, Calif., a physician who served on the staff of Kaiser Permanente Medical Center; Dec. 23.
Dr. Joanne E. Finley GM’85, Baltimore, New Jersey commissioner of health from 1974 to 1982, and Maryland’s deputy secretary of health, 1983-84; Oct. 15.
BACK TO TOP
Quanuah Amy Pratt WG’99, Silver Spring, Md., former director of corporate development for XO Communications in Herndon, Va.; Dec. 26.
BACK TO TOP
Matthew J. McGee SW’00, Brooklyn, N.Y., Oct. 28.
Nicole K. Korczykowski C’01 W’01, New York, director at the investment firm Barclays Capital, Inc.; Feb. 12. Promoted to the position two days before, she was its youngest director. She and her boyfriend, Johnathan R. Perry W’03, died in the plane crash of Continental Flight 3407.
Johnathan R. Perry W’03, New York, head of the international asset-management group at W. P. Carey Co.; Feb. 12. He opened its Amsterdam office in July 2008. He died, with his girlfriend, Nicole K. Korczykowski C’01 W’01, in the plane crash of Continental Flight 3407.
BACK TO TOP
Faculty and Staff
Dr. John R. Brobeck, Media, Pa., emeritus professor of physiology in the School of Medicine; March 6. He chaired the physiology department from 1952 to 1970. He was named the Herbert C. Rorer Professor in the Medical Sciences in 1970. As Penn’s judicial administrator from 1989 to 1993, he oversaw the resolution of the “Water Buffalo” incident. He was also president of the Faculty Club (now the University Club at Penn) from 1969 to 1971. He chaired the editorial board of the journal Physiological Reviews from 1963 to 1972. He was a former president of the American Physiological Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the National Academy of Science.
Dr. William B. Castetter. See Class of 1948.
Dr. John J. DeLuccia Sr. See Class of 1967.
Dr. David K. Detweiler. See Class of 1941.
Dr. William L. Hires. See Class of 1954.
Adriena M. Linehan. See Class of 1951.
Dr. Ezatollah O. Negahban, Wynnefield, Pa., former visiting curator at the Penn Museum; Feb. 2. While at Penn from 1980 to 2001 he worked in the Near East section, specializing in Iranian archaeology. He spent his years writing several books based on his earlier research and contributed articles to Expedition, the museum’s magazine. Dr. Negahban was regarded as one of the foremost Iranian archaeologists of his generation.
Dr. Robert H. Okada. See Class of 1949.
Dr. Charles F. Reid, Kennett Square, Pa., emeritus professor of radiology at the School of Veterinary Medicine; Feb. 12. He joined the faculty at the New Bolton Center in 1963. In his 35-year tenure, he chaired both the radiology section and the clinical-studies department there. Known in the profession as the “father of equine radiology,” he was a founding member of the American College of Veterinary Radiologists. Dr. Reid held consulting sessions, and later led radiology panels, at the annual convention of the American Association of Equine Practitioners. One of his sons is Todd R. Reid EAS’90.
Dr. Thomas A. Reiner. See Class of 1963.
Dr. Truman G. Schnabel. See Class of 1943.
Dr. Walter B. Shelley. See Class of 1949.
July|Aug 09 contents
Profiles : Events : Notes : Obituaries
Please send notifications of deaths of alumni directly to: Alumni Records, University of Pennsylvania, 3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Newspaper obits are appreciated.