1932

Alfred S. Arnold W’32, Charlton, Mass., retired purchasing director of The Worcester Telegram and Gazette; July 11, 2007.

1933

Richard S. Jacobson C’33, Mansfield, Mass., Oct. 13.
Albert W. Spitz ChE’33, Elkins Park, Pa., retired owner of his own chemical-engineering firm, which specialized in air-pollution control and metal recycling; Feb. 10.

1934

Harry J. Gillin Jr. WEv’34, West Chester, Pa., a retired Exxon executive; Feb. 6. During World War II he served with the 13th U.S. Air Force in the Pacific; rising from a private to a major, he was awarded the Asiatic Pacific Medal with four battle stars.

Dr. Richard B. Singer C’34 G’35 M’39 GM’43,
Falmouth, Maine, retired vice president of research for the New England Mutual Life Insurance Co.; Feb. 19. Before beginning his career in life insurance, he taught at Penn’s School of Medicine until 1952. Regarded as a meticulous researcher, he received from the American Academy of Insurance Medicine the Distinguished Physician Award in 1996 and W. John Elder Award in 2000. During World War II he was a medical officer in the U.S. Naval Reserve, serving in the U.S. and the Pacific.

1938

Dr. John D. Helm Jr. M’38 GM’42, Lancaster, Pa., retired senior physician at Lancaster General Hospital; Dec. 23. During World War II he served as a captain in the U.S. Army.

Dr. Joseph Relkin D’38,
Maplewood, N.J., a retired dentist; July 11, 2008. He served as a major in the U.S. Army during World War II.

1939

Dr. Theodore K. Long M’39, Lebanon, Pa., a retired ophthalmologist and former resident surgeon at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia; March 6. During World War II he was an ophthalmologist for the U.S. Navy aboard the U.S.S. Refuge, a hospital ship, in the Atlantic and the Pacific.

Milton D. Milavsky C’39,
Naples, Fla., Nov. 2, 2008.

BACK TO TOP


 1940

Raymond C. Backus W’40, East Bethel, Vt., Sept. 2. He retired from Pratt & Whitney, and then ran an accountancy practice until he was 80. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps.

Roberto de Jesus Toro W’40 WG’43,
San Juan, P.R., retired president and CEO of the Banco de Ponce; Oct. 21, 2008. While at Penn he was a member of the lightweight crew squad and Sigma Chi fraternity. His last of many visits to Penn was in 2007. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.

Edward A. Flintermann W’40,
Kennett Square, Pa., retired manager of the Philadelphia Skating Club, and of the Humane Society in Ardmore; Feb. 21. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Europe and was awarded a Bronze Star.

Catherine Smith Goodkin CW’40,
Watertown, Conn., March 7. For many years she assisted her husband in operation of the All-Brite Chemical Co.

Dr. Carl Kaysen C’40 Hon’76,
Cambridge, Mass., the David W. Skinner Professor Emeritus of Political Economy at MIT and a trustee of the University from 1967 to 1990; Feb. 8. He had worked for the National Bureau of Economic Research and the Office of Strategic Services, then as an intelligence officer in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. During his academic career he taught at Harvard and served as associate dean of its Graduate School of Public Administration. He also served as director of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, N.J. Dr. Kaysen was named deputy special assistant for national-security affairs by President John F. Kennedy. While in the White House he helped negotiate the Partial Test Ban Treaty, which prevented nuclear bomb tests in the atmosphere, underwater, and outer space. Following that he was named vice chair and director of research of the Sloan Commission of Government and Higher Education. His 1990 essay “Is War Obsolete?” remains widely read. In 2002 he co-wrote the book War with Iraq: Costs, Consequences, and Alternatives. As a University trustee Dr. Kaysen served on the executive committee and the long-range planning council and chaired the academic-policy and the honorary degrees and awards committees. He also was a member of the University’s 250th Anniversary Commission. A resolution of appreciation for him was made by the trustees in 2002, recognizing him as an honorary trustee. Besides his honorary degree (1976), he received the Alumni Award of Merit in 1995. As a benefactor, Dr. Kaysen gave generously to the University, supporting the University Libraries and the Penn Museum, and providing fellowships and scholarships. His sister is Flora K. Penaranda CW’45.

Elizabeth E. MacQuarrie DH’40 Ed’67 GEd’71,
Barnegat, N.J., a retired professor of dental auxiliaries at the Community College of Baltimore; Jan. 28. In 1963, after a 20-year career as a dental hygienist, she began teaching at Penn. She edited the Handbook of Clinical Procedures.

R. Ann M. McConkey Ed’40,
Haverford, Pa., a retired French teacher at Upper Darby High School; Feb. 19.

William P. Shade II W’40,
Decatur, Ill., a retired insurance agent for Bennett & Shade Co.; Aug. 15, 2006. At Penn he was president of his fraternity, Sigma Chi; a member of the Sphinx Senior Society; and business manager of Mask & Wig. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army Air Corps in the Aleutian Islands, attaining the rank of captain.

1941

Dr. Raymond P. Mariella Sr. Ch’41, Peoria, Ariz., former chair of chemistry and dean of the graduate schools of Loyola University in Chicago; March 17. He was a former executive director of the American Chemical Society.

Constance Loeb Melnik CW’41,
Rego Park, N.Y., Sept. 7. One of her grandchildren is David B. Goldfarb C’02.

Dr. Nathaniel Rattner D’41,
Forest Hills, N.Y., a retired dentist; Jan. 11. He was a veteran of World War II.

F. Warren White WG’41,
Riverside, Conn., a retired budget and financial analyst for the Johns-Manville Corp. in New York; Feb. 8. During World War II he was a staff sergeant with the U.S. Army 80th Tank Battalion, serving in Rhineland and central Europe.

1942

Melvin S. Feldman W’42, Margate City, N.J., retired president of the South Jersey division of the Federal Wine and Liquor Co., a wine and spirits importer; April 3. During World War II he served with the 57th Signal Battalion of the U.S. Army in North Africa and Europe.

Richard W. Havens W’42 WG’48,
Little Compton, R.I., retired president and chair of Industrial Valley Bank; Feb. 11. At Penn he received the Senior Spoon. During World War II he served with the U.S. Marine Corps in the Pacific, attaining the rank of major.

Margaret C. Smith Jarvis CW’42,
Greenwich, Conn., June 2, 2009.

Dr. Maria Wiener Kirber Gr’42,
Lakeville, Conn., retired professor of microbiology and virology at the Medical College of Pennsylvania; March 11.

Dr. Albert M. Kligman Gr’42 M’47 GM’51,
Philadelphia, emeritus professor of dermatology at the School of Medicine; Feb. 9. While earning a doctorate in botany at Penn, he wrote a definitive book on mushrooms, Handbook of Mushroom Culture, derived from his research in the mushroom houses at Kennett Square. His interest in mycology led him to pursue a residency and career in dermatology. Dr. Kligman was responsible for an array of major advances in dermatology. While he is best known for the invention of topical tretinoin, known as Retin-A, for acne and photodamaged skin, his other contributions include the PAS stain for visualizing fungi in tissue; his description of the human hair cycle; his studies on the pathogenesis of acne; the maximization test for identifying new contact allergens; and the coining of the terms photoaging and cosmeceuticals. While he conducted research on the prevention of the poison-ivy rash, Life magazine portrayed him as the “Poison Ivy Picker of Pennypack Park.” Later, in France, he was named the “Pope of Dermatology.” Many of his observations debunked popular myths, such as that chocolate causes acne. Dr. Kligman co-wrote several fundamental texts: Dermatology, Acne: Morphogenesis and Treatment, and Acne and Rosacea, and more than a thousand articles in major dermatological journals. A former president of the Society for Investigative Dermatology, in 1976 he received the Stephen Rothman Memorial Award, its highest honor. With his wife, Lorraine, a retired associate professor of dermatology at the School of Medicine, Dr. Kligman endowed the Albert M. Kligman Professorship, the Albert M. Kligman Dermatology Fund to support education and research, the Sandra Lazarus Professorship to support a bright young clinician, and an annual tuition fund for four Penn medical students. In 1996 he set up the travel fellowships to provide for 250 young dermatologists and scientists to attend annual meetings of the Society for Investigative Dermatology.

Alma Prager Peterson Ed’42,
Leland, N.C., a retired language teacher; Feb. 11.

Andrew Roskos WEF’42 W’48,
Huntingdon Valley, Pa., retired vice president of Penn Fruit Co. and Lionel Corp.’s Kiddie City stores; Jan. 31. During World War II he served with the Office of Strategic Services as a radio technician in North Africa and India.
1943

Dr. William J. Atkinson Jr. M’43,
Spanish Fort, Ala., a retired cardiologist; March 28. During World War II he was a U.S. Army captain serving in a front-line medical detachment at the Battle of the Bulge; he was awarded a Bronze Star and a combat Medical Medal with four stars.

Anna Vavra Cundiff NTS’43,
Sellersville, Pa., retired head nurse for the old Quakertown Community Hospital; March 6, 2008. During World War II she was a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Nurse Corps, serving at Indiantown Gap.

Dr. Elizabeth Linson Ford M’43,
Greensboro, N.C., a retired pediatrician and former director of the children and youth clinics of the Guilford County Health Department; Feb. 24.

Dr. Ira M. Fridirici V’43,
Orwigsburg, Pa., retired veterinarian; Dec. 7.

John J. Huston CE’43,
Audubon, Pa., a retired masonry contractor; Feb. 18. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army in Guam and Okinawa.

James B. McCluskey W’43,
Wheeling, W.V., a retired partner in the law firm of McCluskey & Keyser; Feb. 12. His U.S. Navy service during World War II includes serving as executive officer and commanding officer of the U.S.S. LCI 646 in the Okinawa campaign.

Calman M. Menzer W’43,
Encino, Calif., June 22, 2009.

Edgar G. Murphy W’43,
Havertown, Pa., a retired manufacturing representative who had worked for Selas Co. and the Lapel Co.; Jan. 7. During World War II he was a sergeant and radio dispatcher in the U.S. Army Air Force.

Dr. Clyde F. Newman C’43 M’46 GM’52,
Newtown Square, Pa., a retired obstetrician-gynecologist; March 3. At Penn he was a member of the crew team. A local pioneer in the use of microsurgery, he introduced laser surgery to Bryn Mawr Hospital. During World War II he served with the U.S. Navy as a flight surgeon aboard the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Antietam.

Norman B. Yarmis W’43,
Boca Raton, Fla., Feb. 13.

1944

Walter E. Cochrane Ed’44 GEd’45,
East Greenbush, N.Y., retired superintendent of music for the New York State Education Department; March 24. He was a former solo clarinetist with the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra.

Dr. Leroy D. Homer C’44 M’48,
West Palm Beach, Fla., a retired physician and former chief of the medical staff at hospitals in Perth Amboy and Edison, N.J.; Feb. 8.

Dr. George C. Lewis Jr. M’44 GM’53,
Wynnewood, Pa., former assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology; April 3. He taught at the School of Medicine from 1947 to 1963. After his tenure at Penn, he served as chair of obstetrics and gynecology at Hahnemann University Hospital until 1973; then he joined Thomas Jefferson University, where he remained until 2000. An advocate for research funding for women’s reproductive diseases, Dr. Lewis was the founding president of the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists. He was a past president of the Philadelphia chapter of what is now the American Cancer Society and a recipient of its outstanding-service awards. In 1982 he was honored with a gold medal from the American Radium Society, which he had also served as president. He wrote or co-wrote more than 100 articles and frequently lectured in the U.S. and abroad. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army Medical Corps in Europe. One of his daughters is Elizabeth Lewis C’77 Nu’87 GGS’00 and his sister is Marcia L. Pennington FA’44.

1945

Betty Pansius Lee CW’45,
Lancaster, Pa., a former social worker for the American Red Cross in California; Feb. 22.

Roger S. Miller C’45 G’48,
Malvern, Pa., former coordinator of mathematics for the Radnor School District; Feb. 22. During World War II he served on a destroyer in the U.S. Navy, attaining the rank of lieutenant junior grade.

Dr. Robert E. Platner D’45,
Naples, Fla., a retired dentist; Feb. 12. During the Korean War he served as a captain in the U.S. Army Dental Corps; he was also a veteran of World War II.

Dr. Franklin H. West M’45 GM’51,
Gwynedd, Pa., a retired psychiatrist who served on the staff at the Institute of the Pennsylvania Hospital for 40 years; March 11. He had served in the U.S. Navy.

1946

Mary R. Denman Capouya CW’46,
Princeton, N.J., retired senior production editor at the Temple University Press; Jan. 31. Earlier in her career she was employed by the New Directions publishing house, where she met and worked with poets Dylan Thomas, Delmore Schwartz, and Lawrence Ferlinghetti.

Albert V. Gaudiosi C’46,
Houston, former newspaper reporter and Philadelphia city official under Mayor Frank Rizzo; April 7. A reporter for The Evening Bulletin, he became Rizzo’s campaign director; after the election he served as commerce director and city representative. He was also deputy director of the Philadelphia ’76 Bicentennial celebration. During World War II he served with the U.S. Navy Seabees in the Pacific.

Richard M. Hammerman W’46,
Los Angeles, retired president of the International Life Insurance Co. in London; March 3.

Dr. Marvin Rothman C’46 V’48,
Cherry Hill, N.J., a retired veterinarian and founder of the Rothman Animal Hospital in Collingswood; March 17. During the Korean War he served in the U.S. Army Veterinary Corps. His brother is Dr. Irwin Rothman C’40 V’41.

Suzanne Robinson Yusem CW’46,
Elkins Park, Pa., March 10.
 
1947

Baruch Bricklin ME’47,
Brookline, Mass., former owner of a graphics company in Philadelphia; Feb. 2.

Arthur P. Dansak C’47,
Phoenix, March 4. He was retired from the floor-covering business. He had served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War.

Dr. John A. Dyer M’47,
Morganton, N.C., a retired professor of ophthalmology at the Mayo Clinic; April 6. He served as a flight surgeon with the U.S. Air Force Medical Corps, 1951-53.

Dr. James R. Eynon GM’47,
Medford, N.J., a retired physician; Sept. 17. During World War II he was a flight surgeon in the U.S. Air Force.

E. Jane Hartman G’47,
Frederick, Pa., a longtime psychologist for the Philadelphia School District; March 10. During World War II she served as a regimental officer in the U.S. Naval Reserves.

Harrison O. Hostler WEv’47,
Lansdowne, Pa., Nov. 14, 2008.

Dr. Jack Magill D’47,
Boca Raton, Fla., a retired orthodontist who helped establish a residency program at Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia; Feb. 10. An innovator in straightening teeth, he co-wrote The Combination Technique in Orthodontic Practice. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.

Lee H. Morrill W’47,
Bonita Springs, Fla., Nov. 19.

David J. O’Boyle C’47,
West Orange, N.J., a retired attorney; Dec. 30.

Dr. James L. Royals GM’47,
Jackson, Miss., a retired obstetrician-gynecologist who was a longtime member of the clinical faculty at the University of Mississippi; Aug. 25, 2006. During World War II he served with the U.S. Third Army as field commander of the army hospital for his battalion; his military honors include a Bronze Star.

Alvin R. Schomer C’47 L’50,
Haddonfield, N.J., a retired attorney and municipal judge in South Jersey; Feb. 8. One of his most prominent cases was Schad v. Borough of Mt. Ephraim, (1975), which was appealed all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Alfred N. Sergott W’47,
Newtown Square, Pa., March. He had served in the U.S. Navy.

1948

Martin Glantz C’48 G’49,
Philadelphia, Oct. 13.

Ernest W. Goldsborough Jr. PSW’48,
West Chester, Pa., a retired social worker in prisons in Pennsylvania and Delaware; Nov. 25, 2008. He had served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

Dr. Howard S. Kramer Jr. D’48 GD’57,
Ornida, Calif., former chief of oral-maxillofacial surgery at Highland Hospital; Jan. 12. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army and went on to serve in the U.S. Navy, retiring as a captain.

Victor H. Ottenstein W’48,
Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., retired president of the periodicals-distribution group of Aramark, Inc.; March 21.

Jane Phillips Parsons CW’48,
State College, Pa., a retired employment counselor for the Pennsylvania Job Service in Hatboro; March 24.

Leroy O. Pletz C’48,
Harrisburg, Pa., March 30. He was retired from the Pennsylvania state Department of Environmental Resources. While serving in the U.S. Air Force during World War II, he piloted a P-51 Mustang in the 353rd Fighter Group, flying 50 missions over Germany.

John R. Rosengarten C’48,
West Chester, Pa., a retired production analyst; Jan. 4. He was a veteran of World War II.

Franklin H. Spitzer Jr. C’48 L’51,
Radnor, Pa., a retired senior partner with Wolf, Block, Schorr & Solis-Cohen, where he specialized in zoning and eminent-domain law; Jan. 9. At Penn he was the editor of the law review. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.

1949

Leona King Baylor Ed’49, Philadelphia, a retired teacher at the Alexander Wilson School, where she taught for 35 years; March 27. A member of the sorority Alpha Kappa Alpha, she received its Golden Soror award for 50 years of service in 1995.

George S. Bywater WG’49,
Pittston, Pa., retired president of Sales Motivating Associates in Southfield, Mich.; March 19. During World War II he served with the U.S. Navy aboard the battleship U.S.S. Colorado in the Pacific, earning seven battle stars and attaining the rank of lieutenant.

James J. Craig WEv’49 CGS’67,
Bryn Mawr, Pa., retired chief accountant for the Pennsylvania Securities Commission; Feb. 19. During World War II he served as an accountant at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard.

Bruce J. Graham Ar’49,
Hobe Sound, Fla., a pioneering architect and emeritus trustee of the University; March 6. He was one of America’s most celebrated architects of skyscrapers, including landmarks such as Chicago’s John Hancock Building and the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower, which until 1996, stood as the tallest building in the world. Though his designs produced many of Chicago’s most iconic landmarks, he also had a marked influence on that city’s urban planning and design, as he was dedicated to architecture as urban design and he championed public art. His work also can be seen in London, Barcelona, Seoul, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He became a term trustee of the University in 1981, serving on the academic-policy and the facilities and campus-planning committees. For 10 years he chaired the Board of Overseers of the School of Design, where he and his wife funded the Bruce J. and Jane J. Graham Professorship in Architecture; he was later named chair emeritus in recognition of his many contributions to the school. He was an adviser on many building projects at Penn, and helped to provide the impetus for the University’s most recent campus master-planning framework. He spent close to 40 years at the architectural firm of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, where he was named partner in charge of design in 1960. Retiring from there in 1989, he founded his own firm, Graham and Graham Architecture and Interior Design. His professional and volunteer commitments were extensive. He was an honorary trustee of the Institute of Urbanism and Planning of Peru, a fellow of the American Institute of Architects, and a member of both the Royal Institute of British Architects and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. He served as a trustee of the Art Institute of Chicago, the Temple Hoyne Buell Center for American Architecture at Columbia University, Northwestern University Memorial Hospital, and the Universidad de Los Andes in Colombia. A past president of the Chicago Central Area Committee, he was a member of the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations, and a trustee of the Urban Land Institute. His numerous awards include the AIA First Honor Awards for the BMA Building in Kansas City and the 25-year Award for the Inland Steel Building in Chicago. He received distinguished-building awards from the Chicago chapter of the AIA for several projects, as well as the Gold Medallion Award for his design for the International Visitors Center. During World War II he served with the U.S. Navy as a civil engineer and radar technician in the Philippines. His children are George A. Graham C’82, Lisa Graham C’84, and Mara Graham Dworsky C’86.

John R. Lehn ME’49,
Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Feb. 21.

Harry L. Mills Jr. C’49,
Concord, N.C., Feb. 1. He was retired from the commercial-carpet business. At Penn he was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army Signal Corps in Europe.

Dr. James J. Napier C’49 Gr’59,
Durham, N.C., a retired professor of humanities at New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark; April 2. During World War II he served as a sergeant with the U.S. Marine Corps in the Bougainville campaign in the Solomon Islands.

Dr. Arthur L. Schneeberg GM’49,
Philadelphia, a former chief of urology at Albert Einstein Medical Center; March 21. He was on the team that performed the first kidney transplant there. During the Korean War he served with the U.S. Army in Okinawa.

Dr. J. Jackson Stokes GM’49,
Atlanta, a former assistant professor of ophthalmology at Emory University; Oct. 12. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army’s Third Army Medical Corps in Europe.

BACK TO TOP


 1950

Harold W. Anderson EE’50, Wyncote, Pa., March 11, 2009. He had held sales and engineering positions at various private industrial companies. He served as a radioman for the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War.

Lydia Maxam Breck CW’50,
Summit, N.J., March 10.

Carolyn Stout Carlson G’50,
Danville, Calif., Oct. 11.

Dr. Ralph R. Hill Jr. GD’50,
Yakima, Wash., a retired oral surgeon; March 25. He served as a dentist in the U.S. Navy, 1945-47.

Dr. Andrew G. Knox Gr’50,
Wilmington, Del., retired senior executive at the DuPont Co.; 2008.

Bennett M. Lifter C’50,
Miami, a developer and builder of residential and commercial properties, including the Marco Polo Hotel and the Waikiki Resort Motel in Miami Beach; Sept. 27. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army’s 86th Infantry’s Black Hawk Division in Europe and the Pacific, earning a Bronze Star.

Patricia Megargee Murphy CW’50,
Kennett Square, Pa., Jan. 10. At Penn she was a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority.

Matthew H. Petersohn W’50
, Wyndmoor, Pa., the retired head of Progress Newspapers, the publisher of several local papers; March 28.

Irving Weiman C’50 G’55,
Los Gatos, Calif., a former director of Aeroenvironment and the founder of several companies, including GeneEd; Feb. 28. He had served in the U.S. Navy as an electronics technician aboard the U.S.S. J.W. Wilkes.

1951

Frank H. Applebaum C’51,
Richboro, Pa., Dec. 14.

Margaret Sharpless Clinger Nu’51,
Milton, Pa., a former director of nursing at Geisinger Medical Center; March 3.

Daniel T. Deane Jr. C’51 L’57,
Wyncote, Pa., March 16. He was a veteran of World War II and the Korean War.

Howard M. Fox W’51,
Fort Lee, N.J., a retired financial manager with a number of investment firms; Feb. 27. During the Korean War he served in the U.S. Air Force.

William J. Morrison C’51,
Lancaster, Pa., a retired journalism teacher at Octorara Area School District; March 23. During the Korean War he served in the U.S. Air Force.

Dr. Nevin C.T. Shaffer D’51,
Allentown, Pa., a retired dentist; Jan. 20. During World War II he served as a first lieutenant with the U.S. Army in Europe and was awarded a Purple Heart.

Dr. John J. Sprowls M’51,
Edison, N.J., a retired obstetrician-gynecologist; March 16. He was a former president of the medical staff of Rahway Hospital. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Force.

1952

Theodore C. Bausher WEF’52, Wyomissing, Pa., retired chief financial examiner of the Pennsylvania state insurance department; Oct. 7, 2005. At Penn he was a member of the Epsilon chapter of Pi Delta Epsilon fraternity.

Anthony G. Cacoso ChE’52,
East Brunswick, N.J., Feb. 9. A retired chemical engineer for Johnson & Johnson. During the Korean War he served in the U.S. Army.

Marianna O’Neill Crawford OT’52,
Kennett Square, Pa., March 5.

Clive S. Cummis L’52,
West Orange, N.J., a retired attorney and founding partner of the New Jersey law firm of Sills, Cummis & Gross; Feb. 9. He was also a lifelong Democratic fundraiser. He had served in the U.S. Army.

Marvin Goldberg W’52,
Philadelphia, a retired furniture-store operator and furniture-manufacturer representative; March 6.

Elizabeth Byrne Kendall NTS’52,
Media, Pa., March 11.

Harry E. Kihn GEE’52,
Lawrenceville, N.J., Jan. 21.

Dr. Cecilia V. Tierney WG’52,
Newark, Del., a retired research accountant who had worked for RCA and Phillips Petroleum Co.; Feb. 26.

1953

Dr. Alvin Bodenstein D’53,
DelRay Beach, Fla., March 10.

Warren R. Dwyer L’53,
Brunswick, Maine, retired president of Down East Novelties; Jan. 16. During World War II he served with the U.S. Navy aboard the U.S.S. General W. C. Langfitt in the Pacific.

Dr. Miriam Kaiser Elmaleh CW’53 M’57,
Elkins Park, Pa., a retired family physician and former associate medical director of John F. Kennedy Memorial Hospital; March 12.

Dr. George N. Ewing Jr. M’53,
Sacramento, Calif., a retired orthopedic surgeon and a former clinical-faculty member at the UC Davis Medical School; April 8. He served in the U.S. Navy at the end of World War II.

Christopher McCutcheon C’53,
Greenwich, N.J., a retired organist who had served the University for many years, as well as Calvary Episcopal Church in Germantown, Philadelphia, and St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in Bridgeton, N.J.; March 29.

Dr. Thomas H. Newmann C’53 D’55,
Livingston, N.J., a retired dentist; Feb. 26. At Penn he was a member of the varsity track team, Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity, and the Beta chapter of Alpha Omega dental fraternity. A former president of the Northern New Jersey Alumni Club, he received the Alumni Award of Merit in 1980 and was a recent inductee into the Alumni Permanent Wall of Fame. He was also a former chair of the local secondary-schools committee. He served in the U.S. Naval Dental Corps, attaining the rank of lieutenant commander. His wife is Suzanne Waltman Newmann Ed’56. His daughter is Katherine Ellen Newmann C’80 and his son is Dr. William W. Newmann C’83.

Charles T. Pennacchio Jr. W’53,
El Cajon, Calif., retired manager of production control for the Rohr Corp.; Jan. 26.

Constance Norris Wilmot CW’53,
Bailey’s Crossroads, Va., a retired family therapist; Feb. 11. At Penn she was president of the Pan Hellenic Council; vice-president of her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta; and a member of both the junior and senior honor societies. Her husband is Dr. Ben D. Wilmot Jr. M’56 GM’60.

1954

John C. Clirehugh EE’54,
San Rafael, Calif., March 12.

Joseph B. Hinerfeld W’54,
Atlanta, March 16.

Dwaine R. Lindberg SW’54,
Edina, Minn., a retired children’s social worker with the Minnesota Department of Human Services; Jan. 7. He was a veteran of World War II.

Myra Atwell McDaniel CW’54,
Austin, Tex., the first African American secretary of state in Texas; Feb. 25. She was a former assistant attorney general.

Raleigh J. Spinks Jr. GFA’54 GCP’60,
Buffalo, N.Y., a retired county urban designer; Sept. 3, 2005. From 1945-47 he was a combat artist in the U.S. Army, designing memorial monuments in Morocco, Italy, and France.
 

1955

Dr. Claire E. Cotton GM’55, Cleveland, a retired physician for the Cleveland Division of Health; April 6. During World War II he served as a pharmacist’s mate in the U.S. Navy.

Dr. Rennert M. Smelser GM’55,
Lutherville, Md., Sept. 29.

Dr. John B. Sperry WG’55,
Richmond, emeritus professor and former chair of accounting at Virginia Commonwealth University; Feb. 16. A retired U.S. Army colonel, he was a senior parachutist with the 11th Airborne Division, serving in the Philippines, Okinawa, Korea, and Vietnam.
1956

Dr. Joseph E. Deitch D’56,
Coopersburg, Pa., a retired dentist; April 7. He had served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy.

Paul Carpenter G. Dewey L’56,
Newtown Square, Pa., a former chancellor of the Philadelphia Bar Association, who had earlier worked for the firm of Blank Rome; June 4, 2009. He was a member of the First Troop, Philadelphia City Cavalry, and had served in the U.S. Army at White Sands Missile Range. His sister is Mimi Baruch CW’56.

Dr. Robert S. Dustin D’56,
Randolph, Vt., a retired dentist who had maintained practices in Washington state and Greenwich, Conn.; Aug. 5, 2009. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.

Betty Frick Erdman Nu’56,
Rydal, Pa., March 24.

Dr. Earl E. Feldmann GM’56,
San Antonio, professor emeritus and former chair of prosthodontics at the University of Texas Health Science Center; Oct. 9, 2008. He served in the U.S. Air Force for 27 years, retiring as a colonel.

Alyn J. Gorman C’56,
Albrightsville, Pa., retired managing editor of the former Data Pro Research Co. in Delran, N.J.; Feb. 14.

Dr. Stephen J. Mucha M’56,
Woolwich, N.J., a retired captain in the U.S. Navy, and former chair of surgery at the Naval Regional Medical Center in Philadelphia; June 22, 2009. After retiring from the Navy, he served as medical director for GE/Lockheed Martin in King of Prussia.

Robert A. Price C’56 G’57,
East Greenbush, N.Y., a retired computer scientist and software-development manager at General Electric; Nov. 25.

1957

Dr. Morton J. Adels GM’57,
Houston, a retired obstetrician-gynecologist; March 21. He had served as a captain in the U.S. Air Force.

Barnett Dubois W’57,
Vienna, Va., Dec. 24, 2008.

Dr. Mahlon H. Hellerich Gr’57,
Allentown, Pa., retired county museum director and archivist; Jan. 17. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army in Europe.

Rev. Robert E. Heskett G’57,
Fairhaven, Mass., a retired Baptist minister who had served parishes in Maine and Massachusetts; Jan. 6.

Zenon N. Trivelis G’57,
Haverford, Pa., a retired manufacturing and production manager at RCA; Feb. 19. He served in the U.S. Air Force.

Dr. Richard F. Wendel WG’57 Gr’66,
Chestertown, Md., emeritus professor of economics at the University of Connecticut; March 22. He wrote the book Selling: Preparation. Persuasion. Strategy, and from 1973 to 1981 edited the annual Readings in Marketing, a widely-used textbook. He served as a radar bombardier with the U.S. Air Force, 1951-55.

1958

Dr. Donald W. Hostettler V’58,
Erie, Pa., a retired veterinarian; Feb. 12. During the Korean War he served in the U.S. Army Artillery.

Dr. William C. Segmiller M’58,
Dublin, Ohio, a retired psychiatrist; March 17. He had served in the U.S. Air Force as a flight surgeon at Andrews Air Force Base.

Col. James T. Shallow M’58,
Colorado Springs, Colo., a retired director of surgical services at Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama and the U.S. Air Force Academy; March 26. During the Vietnam War, he had served as commander of the aeromedical-evacuation unit in Cam Ranh Bay; his honors include a Legion of Merit and a Bronze Star.

1959
Paul L. Billig W’59, Ormond Beach, Fla., a retired computer-systems developer with Bell Systems; March 5.

Dr. Hassan S. Dajani GM’59,
Miami, Dec. 11.

Lewis M. Pettinos WG’59,
Devon, Pa., Oct. 24.

Robert G. Schwartz WG’59,
Surprise, Ariz., Oct. 13.

Richard C. Turner W’59,
Alexandria, Va., a retired partner at Rourke & Hanrahan, a law firm in Hartford, Conn.; Feb. 4.

Phillip A. Wicky WG’59,
Gloucester, Mass., a retired chair of history at North Reading High School; March 1.

BACK TO TOP


1960

Dr. John L. Cornog Jr. M’60 GM’64, Madison, Conn., a retired academic pathologist who had taught at a number of universities; July 26, 2008. During the Korean War he served in the U.S. Navy as a lieutenant junior grade.

Dr. Salvatore S. Stivala Gr’60,
New York, a retired professor of chemistry at the Stevens Institute of Technology; March 26. During World War II he served as a medical-laboratory technologist.

Harold S. Walters GEd’60,
Keyser, W.Va., a retired mathematics and science teacher; Nov. 20. A retired major in the U.S. Air Force, he had served with the 73rd Bomb Wing and as a radar navigator during World War II.

Dr. Tsu-te Yang GrE’60,
Santa Rosa, Calif., a retired professor and former chair of electrical engineering at Villanova University; Feb. 17.

1961

Di Ann Vick G’61,
Philadelphia. A genealogist, she co-wrote Joseph Vick family of Lower Parish, Isle of Wight County, Virginia and His Descendants; Dec. 13.

1962

Robert Bruce Brown WG’62, Nokomis, Fla., a retired account executive in the railroad industry; Feb. 15.

Dr. Herbert S. Denenberg Gr’62,
Wayne, Pa., the first Harry J. Loman Chair of Property and Liability Insurance at the Wharton School; March 18. He joined the faculty as assistant professor of insurance in 1962, became associate professor in 1965 and in 1968 took the endowed chair. He also served as editor of Almanac, 1965-6. After leaving Penn in 1972, he held positions in state government, including serving as the Pennsylvania insurance commissioner and as a public-utility commissioner. Then he began a new career as an investigative consumer reporter and commentator on WCAU-TV (NBC channel 10) from 1975 to 1998, winning 40 local Emmys for his work. After leaving the station he continued to appear on cable channels and wrote consumer columns for several newspapers and his own blog.

Dr. Michael D. Goldman M’62,
Los Angeles, professor of medicine at UCLA; March 18. He was involved in assessing the respiratory health of ironworkers at the World Trade Center disaster site, publishing his findings in 2004. At the time of his death he was working on a new method of diagnosing pediatric asthma.

Lt.Col. J. A. Hettinger Jr. G’62,
Colorado Springs, a retired lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army infantry; Feb. 22.

Michael J. Tate C’62 WG’64,
Durham, N.C., March 27.

1963
Donald W. Beatty WG’63,
Estero, Fla., a retired banker and former
executive director of the Government Finance Officers Association; Nov. 28.

Linda Dobson Krogh SW’63,
Mt. Pleasant, S.C., a social worker who had specialized in international adoptions; Nov. 7.

Paul B. Kuper W’63,
Chester Springs, Pa., Feb. 15. He had a career in investment banking and securities, and served on the boards of private corporations and charitable organizations.

Peter G. Kutra Jr. C’63,
Vienna, Va., a retired contract administrator and negotiator for USS Sprint Corp.; Oct. 7. At Penn he was a member of the Beta Pi chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity.

Dr. Waldemar G. Ostermann C’63 ASC’64,
Levittown, Pa., emeritus professor of communication systems at Illinois State University; Feb. 7. He had served with the U.S. Army in Europe.


1964
Dr. Adolph S. Butkys Gr’64,
Bethlehem, Pa., a retired professor of marketing and advertising at Villanova University; Sept. 28, 2005.

Dr. Walter J. Gershenfeld Gr’64,
Philadelphia, emeritus professor of management at Temple University; Feb. 24. A labor arbitrator and mediator, he helped found the Philadelphia chapter of the Labor and Employment Relations Association. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army on Saipan and Iwo Jima.

Michael R. Sabo W’64,
Lake Oswego, Ore., Nov. 26. He had worked on the Trans-Alaska Pipeline project for 12 years. He served in the U.S. National Guard and Air Force and Army Reserves.

Dr. Gladys M. Word Nu’64 GNu’67,
Willingboro, N.J., a retired professor and former chair of nursing at the College of New Jersey; April 8.

1965

Heidi Lehrman Berry CW’65,
Washington, a journalist, philanthropist, and patron of the arts; Jan. 25, 2009. She wrote a column on antique collecting and the arts in The Washington Post from 1984 to 1998. Her daughters are Elizabeth G. Berry C’89 and Stefanie B. Stark C’92; her brother is Robert Lehrman C’72.

Dr. Edward A. Moses W’65,
Heathrow, Fla., former dean of the Rollins College business school; March 14.

Dr. Paul C. Sherr Gr’65,
Holland, Pa., retired professor and former chair of English at Rider University in Lawrenceville, N.J.; Jan. 18. During World War II he traveled as a musician with the USO.

1966

Margaret R. Dickhart GEd’66,
Audubon, Pa., a retired reading specialist at the Green Tree School; Feb. 19.

Dr. Anne L. Kelley Nu’66 GNu’76,
Shamokin, Pa., a retired professor of nursing at Hahnemann University in Philadelphia; Oct. 24.

Dr. Ronald M. Lamm GM’66,
Spartanburg, S.C., a retired ophthalmologist; Oct. 9, 2008. He had served in the U.S. Air Force.

1967
Sarah Mozino Curtin W’67, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a former realtor; March 28. At Penn she had played on the field hockey team.

Dr. Francis J. Dermody D’67,
Vero Beach, Fla., a retired pediatric dentist; Feb. 16. He had served in the U.S. Army Dental Corps.

William V. Ledford WG’67,
Winston-Salem, N.C., a retired financial and systems analyst for the R.J. Reynolds Co.; Jan. 18. He served in the U.S. Army, including Vietnam, until 1978, attaining the rank of colonel.

1968

James C. Holland WG’68,
Houston, retired president of international, and then domestic, drilling-fluid operations for Baroid Corp.; March 3.

Eleanor B. Wentz GEd’68,
Bryn Mawr, Pa., a retired teacher at the Kimberton Waldorf School; Feb. 16. She helped set up the Great Valley Nature Center in Devault.

1969

Dr. Martin A. Cohen C’69 GM’78, Elkins Park, Pa., an orthopedic surgeon at St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem since 2001; April 5. Earlier he had maintained a practice in Southampton and served on the staff of several local hospitals. He was a trumpeter with a local klezmer group. His wife is Sheva M. Cohen WG’78.

Dr. Helen L. Evans WEv’69 GEd’82,
Chester Township, Pa., retired business manager of the Fairgrounds Housing Project, who took on a second career as an instructor at Delaware County Community College; Feb. 15.

Rev. Dr. John F. Garrahan GrEd’69,
Marmora, N.J., a retired pastor for several parishes; Dec. 20. He had also taught at Rowan College for many years.

George A. Menendez WG’69,
Tampa, Fla., president of Sack & Menendez; Aug. 16, 2008. He had served on the board of the Florida Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association.

BACK TO TOP


1970

Barbara A. Hersch DH’70,
Reading, Pa., Sept. 14, 2008.

Rudolph E. Krigger WG’70,
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, former finance commissioner for the territory; Feb. 23.

Richard D. Ruehle WG’70,
Cherry Hill, N.J., retired vice president of credit-risk review at TD Bank; Oct. 1. He had served with the Peace Corps in Ecuador and in the U.S. Army.

Dr. Robert J. Young Gr’70,
Havertown, Pa., a retired professor of history at West Chester University who was also affiliated with the South Asia regional-studies program at Penn for 20 years; Feb. 4. He specialized in the British East India and Dutch East India companies in the 18th-century.

1971

Dr. Joshua B. Diamond Gr’71, Yellow Springs, Ohio, a retired professor of physics at Siena College in Loudonville, N.Y., which has established a student physics award in his name; July 11, 2009. His wife is Dr. Celia Bidwell Diamond Gr’70.

Dr. James F. Hyssong V’71,
Conyngham, Pa., a retired veterinarian; March 14.

Dr. Charles L. Perdue Gr’71,
Decatur, Ga., emeritus professor of anthropology and English at the University of Virginia; Feb. 16. A folklorist, he wrote a number of books, including Talk About Trouble: A New Deal Portrait of Virginians in the Great Depression, which won the National Oral History Association Award in 1997. Also a folksinger, he and his wife performed in coffeehouses throughout the country.

1972

Ronald M. Cowin WG’72,
Grants Pass, Ore., head of his own management-consulting firm; July 3, 2002. During the Vietnam War he served in the U.S. Marine Corps, attaining the rank of captain; he was awarded the Bronze Star and a Purple Heart, among other honors.

Richard P. Hamilton L’72,
Drexel Hill, Pa., a retired certified public accountant; Jan. 22.

Timothy D. Norwood L’72,
Portland, Ore., a partner with the law firm of Underwood & Norwood; Feb. 23.

1973

Dr. Nelson Famadas G’73 Gr’84,
Coral Gables, Fla., chief executive officer of Gables Holding Corp., a development company; Jan. 25.

James P. Kilgallen GEd’73,
Havertown, Pa., owner of Kilgallen’s Tavern; Feb. 27. During the Korean War he served with the U.S. Army in Germany.

Laurence J. Reid SW’73,
Stillwater, Okla., retired executive deputy secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections; March 19. During the Cuban Missile Crisis he served as a medical corpsman in the U.S. Navy aboard the U.S.S. Cascade.

1974

Dr. Joseph W. Foote D’74 GD’80,
Ardmore, Pa., chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery at both the Penn Presbyterian Medical Center and the Philadelphia V.A. Medical Center, both since 1989; Feb. 26. He joined the Penn faculty in 1986 and had held the position of clinical associate professor since 2001. Nationally recognized for his expertise in microsurgical repair of maxillofacial nerve injuries, he was known as the ‘doctor of last resort’ treating patients with debilitating facial pain, regardless of their financial circumstances. Most recently he was among the 206 “Top Dentists” named by Philadelphia magazine. His Penn family includes daughters Dr. Catherine M. Foote C’00 D’04 GD’06, Emily C. Foote C’02 GEd’05, and Amanda Foote C’09, and a son, Joseph A. Foote D’10. His brother-in-law is Dr. Peter D. Quinn D’74 GD’78, a professor of oral and maxillofacial surgery at the University, whose children are Dr. Abigail Quinn Peterson C’96 D’02 and Dr. Noah A. Quinnn C’99 D’04.

Eileen A. O’Neil OT’74,
Binghamton, N.Y., a secondary-school teacher of American history; Jan. 15, 2009.

Dr. Samuel D. Schack C’74 Gr’80,
Buffalo, N.Y., professor and former chair of mathematics at SUNY Buffalo; Feb. 9.

1975

Charles A. Evers C’75,
Philadelphia, a restoration architect; March 31. He worked on the restoration of numerous sites, including the Roman and Etruscan galleries at the Penn Museum, the Ft. Mifflin Commandant’s House in Philadelphia, and the Rogers Locomotive Works in Paterson, N.J. He was also an adjunct professor of architecture at Drexel University.

Maria Showalter CW’75 GEd’82,
Cincinnati, director of database services for Drexel University; Nov. 26.

1976

Donald L. Masters Jr. L’76,
Denver, an attorney and entrepreneur whose business ventures included Access Television, The Recovery Network, and Hart Exploration. During the Vietnam War he served in the U.S. Army’s 82nd Airborne Division, earning a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart, among other medals.

Michael V. Murphy GAr’76,
Baltimore, an architect and co-founder of Murphy and Dittenhafer Architects; Feb. 9. His projects include the city’s Hippodrome Theatre and a number of religious building in the area.

David N. Zeehandelaar C’76,
Villanova, Pa., an administrative partner at the Philadelphia law firm of Blank Rome LLP, who specialized in complex tort litigations and high-profile aviation cases; March 19. Last year he set up Blank Rome’s Los Angeles office. He had met his wife, Mona Gusoff Zeehandelaar W’77, when they were members of the Penn Band. Their first date was Jan. 17, 1974; every year thereafter, he would give her one rose for each year they had been together since that first date. Their daughter is Rachel S. Zeehandelaar C’05.

1979

Dr. Francis J. Bertozzi Jr. V’79,
Baldwin, Md., a veterinarian; March 10.

Dr. Francis M. Nettl C’79 M’85 GM’87,
Thailand, Feb. 22, 2009.

BACK TO TOP


1980

Margaret R. Alexander L’80,
Katmandu, Nepal, deputy mission director for the U.S. Agency for International Development; Sept. 2006.

Dr. Karen A. Buhler-Wilkerson GFA’80 Gr’84,
Philadelphia, emerita professor of nursing and former director of the Barbara Bates Center for the Study of the History of Nursing; Feb. 13. She taught at Penn from 1972 until her retirement as a professor of community health in 2006, but continued to write for scholarly journals, advise doctoral students, consult on grants and special projects, and participate in professional organizations and on advisory boards. During her own illness, she completed a seminal paper published in The Milbank Quarterly on “Care of the Chronically Ill at Home: An Unresolved Dilemma in Health Policy in the United States.” Her final paper, “Living with Cancer,” completed with her partner, Penn nursing professor Dr. Neville E. Strumpf, chronicles her five-year illness. Dr. Wilkerson published three books and 40 articles, but is best known for her award-winning volume, No Place Like Home: A History of Nursing and Home Care in the United States, which traces home care from its beginnings in 1813. She was instrumental in the creation of a display on nurses’ uniforms at Philadelphia’s Fabric Workshop in 2003, for which she received an award from the American Academy of Nursing. She also worked on The Nightingale’s Song, an exhibition of nursing images in posters and other media at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 2000. Dr. Wilkerson was crucial to the founding of the Nursing School’s program Living Independently For Elders, which provides daily in-home care for 500 poor and frail residents of West Philadelphia. (Still the only one of its type in the country run by a nursing school, its 10th anniversary was celebrated in 2009.) She twice received the Lavinia L. Dock Award for Exemplary Historical Research and Writing from the American Association for the History of Nursing (1989, 2001), as well as the Agnes Dillon Randolph Award for Significant Contributions to the Field of Nursing History from the Center for Nursing Inquiry at the University of Virginia in 2000. Dr. Wilkerson became a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing in 1989 and received the Emory University Alumna Award of Honor in 1990. A faculty-research fund has been established in her name at the School of Nursing. Her life-partner is Dr. Neville E. Strumpf, and her sons are David Wilkerson C’98 and Dr. Jonathan P. Wilkerson V’01.

Louis E. DeVicaris GrEd’80,
Levittown, Pa., retired principal of Martin Luther King High School in East Germantown; Feb. 23. He was a former head football coach at Simon Gratz High School.

1981

Dennis M. McGlone CE’81,
Newtown, Pa., a civil engineer who had worked for Turner Construction Co. and J.J. DeLuca Co.; Feb. 9.

Dr. Phaedon J. Kozyris GrL’84,
Thessaloniki, Greece, emeritus professor of law at Ohio State University; Feb. 10.

1985

Dr. Philip D. Selim Gr’85,
Drexel Hill, Pa., retired assistant principal at Lower Merion High School; March 2. He also directed its summer school.

 
BACK TO TOP


1994

Dr. Dorothy Caroline Vlaskamp GrEd’94,
Alexandria, Va., Jan. 6. She had taught at Moorestown Friends School and Montclair Kimberley Academy, both in New Jersey, and Friends Seminary in New York.

1998

Joy A. Lawrence CGS’98 GGS’03, Philadelphia, manager for environmental initiatives at the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society; March 20. An ardent environmentalist, she had organized community groups in order to transform local parks into ecologically sound, storm-water management landscapes. While on the staff of the Morris Arboretum, she led the restoration of the banks of Paper Mill Run, a tributary of the Wissahickon. And as a restoration manager for the Delaware Riverkeeper Network, she organized volunteers for waterways in Cherry Hill and Haddonfield, N.J. Her spouse is Dr. Bettina B. Lesser M’91.

BACK TO TOP


2003

Kent Sinmaz WG’03,
New York, Dec. 24.

2005

Dr. Carol M. Seabrook Gr’05 SW’08,
Woodstown, N.J., Feb. 17.

2006

Dr. Nathan E. Hellman GM’06, Cambridge, Mass., a scientist-physician specializing in nephrology at Harvard University Medical School; Feb. 13. At Penn he had received the Basic Science Research Award; he then took up a Fullbright scholarship to study cystic kidney disease in Paris.

2007

Albert Lerner CGS’07, Philadelphia, a former manager of the Quakertown Farmers & Flea Market, who went on to become vice president for non-food operations at Penn Fruit; March 26. His volunteer work includes serving as a juror in training sessions for students at Penn Law School. One of his sons, Alan M. Lerner W’62 L’65, is a professor at Penn Law.

2009

Dustin J. Drapkin W’09, Snowmass Village, Colo., March 5. An aspiring cuisinier, he had been accepted recently into the French Culinary Institute.

BACK TO TOP


Faculty and Staff

Dr. Lillian E. Fredericks Abraham, Elkins Park, Pa., retired assistant professor of anesthesiology in the School of Medicine; March 14. She began teaching in 1972 and retired in 1982. She also worked at Albert Einstein Medical Center for 30 years.

Dr. Karen A. Buhler-Wilkerson.
See Class of 1980.

Dr. Herbert S. Denenberg.
See Class of 1962.

Dr. Joseph W. Foote.
See Class of 1974.

Rev. Edward George Harris Hon’61,
Kennett Square, Pa., former chaplain at the University; March 28. From 1950 to 1961 he served Penn as chaplain and the Boardman Lecturer in Christian Ethics. In 1961 he received an honorary degree as Doctor of Divinity. He was a member of Alpha Phi Omega fraternity and the Sphinx Senior Society. Dean of the old Episcopal Divinity School and professor of biblical and pastoral theology there from 1961 to 1974, he was active in its merger with the Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, Mass.; he briefly served as co-dean of the newly formed Episcopal Divinity School. In 1976 he returned to Philadelphia and consulted for the merged school until retiring in 1982. A prominent advocate of women’s ordination, he participated at the controversial 1974 ordination of 11 women in Philadelphia, and hired two of the ordained women to the school’s faculty. During World War II he had served as a U.S. Army chaplain, mostly in Europe.

Dr. Albert M. Kligman.
See Class of 1942.

Dr. William R. LaFleur,
Villanova, Pa., professor of Japanese, and East Asian languages and civilizations; Feb. 26. Specializing in Japanese intellectual history, he joined the Penn faculty in 1990 with a dual appointment as professor of Japanese and as the Joseph B. Glossberg Term Chair Professor of Humanities. From 1998 he served as the E. Dale Saunders Professor in Japanese Studies (in East Asian Languages and Civilizations) and as a professor in the religious-studies department. Dr. LaFleur’s published books cover topics from medieval literature in Mirror of the Moon (1978) and Awesome Nightfall (2003), both studies of the priest-poet Saigyo, to issues of religious thought, including The Karma of Words (1986) and Buddhism in Cultural Perspective (1988). He dealt with the complicated issues of abortion in Liquid Life (1992). He edited Zen and Western Thought: Essays by Masao Abe (1985), Dogen Studies (1985), and Dark Medicine: Rationalizing Unethical Medical Research (2008), a study on Japanese critics of American biotechnology and bioethics.

Dr. George C. Lewis Jr.
See Class of 1944.

Elizabeth E. MacQuarrie.
See Class of 1940.

Dr. Richard B. Singer.
See Class of 1934.

Daniel T. Staffieri,
Blue Bell, Pa., known as Coach Lake, he was assistant coach and game-day coordinator for the Penn men’s football team; April 8. He joined the Penn staff in 1977 as head freshman coach. He spent 33 years as a member of the Quakers’ staff, and was known around campus for his colorful wardrobe of plaid pants, a red blazer, and a Hogan cap. He drove a motorized cart, constructed as a Penn football helmet, around campus on the day before a game, in order to encourage student attendance. On game day itself, he wore all 10 of his Ivy League championship rings and a piece of tape on his forehead with an exhortation to the team. Calling him “the face of Penn football,” head coach Al Bagnoli saw him as “the thread which linked past generations of players and coaches together and made them understand what ‘Penn Pride’ really meant.” Bagnoli had presented him with his 2009 Ivy League championship ring the day before he died. A statue of him stands in Franklin Field. [See “The Mascot in an Old Man’s Suit,” Alumni Voices.]

Dr. Tsu-te Yang.
See Class of 1960.

Dr. Robert J. Young.
See Class of 1970.

 

July|August 2010 contents
Gazette Home

 

 


Profiles : Events : Notes : Obituaries

NOTIFICATIONS

Please send notifications of deaths of alumni directly to: Alumni Records, University of Pennsylvania, 3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
record@ben.dev.upenn.edu

Newspaper obits are appreciated.

School Abbreviations

     
  ©2010 The Pennsylvania Gazette
Last modified 6/30/10