Frank Nathan W26, Beverly Hills, Calif., a retired insurance agent who had practiced for 65 years; Sept. 30, 2002. In 1937 he married Elinor Harriot of the Amos & Andy radio show. He was founding president of the Friends of the Beverly Hills Public Library, and a past chair of the seven professional divisions of the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
Dr. John A. Fritchey II M29, South Padre Island, Tex., a retired physician; Feb. 4, 2002.
Dr. Alexander R. Roth D29, Marlboro, N.J., a retired dentist; June 4, 1998.
Dr. William H. Cornog C30 G32 Gr34, Haverford, Pa., retired superintendent of New Trier (Ill.) School District in suburban Chicago, 1955-74; June 8, 2002. A building on the New Trier campus is named after him. He had earlier served as head of Central High School in Philadelphia.
William O. Jackson W30, West Columbia, S.C., Dec. 5. At Penn he was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity.
Charles C. Lohr W30, Fairfax, Va., retired technical manager at the American Cyanamid Shippan plant in Stamford, Conn.; Feb. 2. He was chair of the committee that built Stamford Baptist Church in the 1950s.
Dr. Geraldine Rosenbaum Segal Ed30 Gr78, Philadelphia, a civil-rights scholar and sociologist; Jan. 14. She met her late husband, Bernard G. Segal C28 L31 Hon69, at Penn [Obituaries, February 1998]. She worked closely with him when he was appointed by U.S. Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy in 1963 to co-chair the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law, which sent lawyers to defend civil-rights workers in Southern states. The year she graduated with her doctorate, he endowed at Penn a chair, in her name, in American social thought. Involved in the civil-rights movement in her own right, she wrote a book on the subject, Blacks in the Law, and in 1990 received a Drum Major Award for Human Rights from the Martin Luther King Jr. Association for Non-Violence. Dr. Segal also served on the board of overseers of the School of Social Work, and on the board of the Juvenile Law Center. She was secretary of the National Conference of Christians and Jews, and chair of the Philadelphia Tutorial Project. Her daughter is Loretta Segal Cohen CW63 who is married to Bruce A. Cohen W61 WG63, and Marc A. Cohen WG87 is their son.
William H. Webber WEF30 W32 L35, Sun City Center, Fla., Jan. 13. Former executive director of the Graphic Arts Technical Foundation, he retired to Sun City in 1976.
1932 | Charles J. Busanovich ChE32, Princeton, N.J., a retired engineer who had worked for more than 30 years with the RCA David Sarnoff Laboratories there; Feb. 10. He worked in semiconductor research, and he held patents on photovoltaic cells.
Milford W. Childs W32, Woodbridge, Va., Oct. 11, 2002.
Warren S. Lane W32, Washington, N.C., Jan. 3.
Helen Brown Wilkinson Ed32, Wyomissing, Pa., Jan. 17.
1934 | Walter Lennig Travis W34, Haverford, Pa., retired Eastern traffic manager for Arco; Feb. 14. His job involved negotiating contracts with rail and trucking companies for distributing the refined oil around the country. During the Second World War he worked with the War Traffic Administration, planning for oil distribution in the event of another attack on the United States. He was a founding member of the American Society of Traffic and Transportation, and served as president of the National Association of Interstate Commerce Commission Practitioners. As chair in the 1950s and 1960s of the aviation committee of the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, he helped establish direct flights to Philadelphia from other parts of the country, Mexico, and Canada. After retiring in 1971, he established his own consulting business and taught transportation law at Penn State University. At Penn, Walter Travis was a member of the lightweight crew for four years. He continued rowing for some years, and was captain of the Malta Boat Club on Boathouse Row and a member of its four-man scull team that won the National Championships in 1938 and 1939. His late wife, Dorothy M. Robertson Travis Ed33, was daughter of the Penn and Olympic track coach Lawson Robertson. Two fo his daughters are Cicely Travis McGowin CW65 GEd68 and Louise Travis Battista Nu68, and her husband is Christopher Battista W65.
Jack Zeldin WEv34, Wynnewood, Pa., March 26, 2002.
1936 | Dr. John M. Naame C36 GM49, Margate, N.J., a retired orthopaedic surgeon in Atlantic City and past president of the Atlantic City Medical Center; Jan. 13. He had served on the medical staff and the board of the Bacharach Institute for Rehabilitation. And he was a past president of the New Jersey Orthopaedic Society.
Dr. Haskell E. Roberts M36, Denver, Pa., a retired family physician who had maintained a practice there for 45 years; Jan. 10. He retired in 1983.
Jeanne Friedmann Westheimer CW36, Cambridge, Mass., Oct. 20, 2001.
Ralph R. Williams WEF36, Lancaster, Pa., July 5, 2000.
1937 | Dr. George H. Bancroft Gr37, Morris, Ill., retired director of research for the old Bendix Corp., now part of Honeywell, in Kansas City, Kans.; Feb. 20. Specializing in high-vacuum technology, he was a founding member and later president of the American Vacuum Society.
Dr. Edgar L. Ralston M37 GM41, Haverford, Pa., emeritus professor of orthopaedic surgery at the University who served as department chair from 1960 to 1977; Jan. 13. He joined the School of Medicine in 1947, was appointed assistant professor in 1957, full professor in 1963, and in 1974 was appointed to the Paul B. Magnuson Professorship in Bone and Joint Surgery; he retired in 1980. During his time as department head, he established a research laboratory, expanded the residency program, and oversaw considerable growth in the faculty and clinical programs. Dr. Ralston was a past vice president of the American Society of Orthopedic Surgery. He wrote the textbook, Handbook of Fractures.
Idris J. Roberts WEF37, Mechanicsburg, Pa., Jan. 27. He had retired from the U.S. Textiles Co. in Scranton.
Dr. Donald C. Schlotter M37, Sandpoint, Idaho, a former anesthesiologist at Riverside Community Hospital and Riverside County Hospital in California, who retired in 1980; Jan. 23. He was a past president of the Riverside County Medical Society.
Janet Leech Silloway Ed37, Hightstown, N.J., Jan. 9.
Prof. R. O. Swalm Jr. EE37, Cazenovia, N.Y., retired professor of industrial engineering at Syracuse University; Jan. 2. He retired in 1985.
Dr. Douglas F. Watson V37, Blacksburg, Va., professor emeritus of veterinary medicine at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, who was instrumental in establishing the veterinary college there; Feb. 11. He had practiced in Peru until 1955.
William H. Robinhold C38, Lafayette Hill, a retired accountant and a champion rower; Pa., Jan. 10. For 38 years he worked with the City Service Oil Co. in Philadelphia, which later merged with Occidental Petroleum retiring in 1973. He won 12 national championships in quadrangle sculls for the Undine Barge Club. For 17 years he was president of Undine and served two terms as commodore of the Schuylkill Navy, the association of rowing clubs; he continued to row into his eighties. He even met his wife on the river; she was an organizer of the Philadelphia Girls Club, which was next to Undine on Boathouse Row. At Penn William Robinhold rowed for the varsity lightweight eight. During the Second World War he served as a staff sergeant with the U.S. Army Signal Corps in Europe and was awarded a Bronze Star for leading his troops through enemy fire.
Dr. John R. Shaver C38 Gr50, East Lansing, Mich., former professor and department chair of zoology at Michigan State University, who had retired in 1981; Jan. 10.
Margaret Leonard Brown CCC39, Gladwyne, Pa., Feb. 17. In the 1960s she was president of the United Neighbors Association, which sponsored rehabilitation projects in downtown Philadelphia. She was a past president of the womens committee of Philadelphia Orchestra. And she served on the board of the Wistar Institute, and the board of the United Foundation of the Presbyterian Church of the United States.
Henry P. Callahan ChE39, Fanwood, N.J., Oct. 19, 2002.
Anne M. Chiquoine NEd39, Santa Barbara, Calif., Dec. 16. An auctioneer, she developed an interest in books which led to her own bookstore in Ventura.
Dr. Robert W. Duffy C39, Venice, Fla., a retired cardiovascular thoracic surgeon in New York who had been a pioneer in open-heart surgery; Feb. 15.
Herman H. Garron W39, Scarsdale, N.Y., July 26, 2002.
Dr. Morris B. Goldin D39, Ithaca, N.Y., a retired dentist who had maintained a practice in Fall River, R.I., for 42 years, retiring in 1987; Feb. 19. He helped establish a free dental clinic for people with cerebral-palsy there. And he volunteered his services at the dental clinic of the Hospital Albert Schweitzer in Haiti.
Dr. John R. Hannan M39, Bellevue, Wash., a retired radiologist in Cleveland, who had also taught at Case Western Reserve University; Oct. 26, 2002.
Rev. Robert L. Koehler Jr. C39, Rio Rancho, N.M., a retired Lutheran pastor who had most recently served in the Albuquerque area; Dec. 24. He had previously served in New York, Harrisburg, Pa., Buffalo, N.Y., and Denver.
Dorothy Roller Kreller OT39, Collingswood, N.J., a retired draftsperson for RCA in Camden; Dec. 20.
Robert J. Blaetz W40, Merchantville, N.J., Nov. 1.
Archibald H. McKinley Jr. W40, Sea Girt, N.J., a former insurance auditor with the Firemans Fund Insurance Co. in Philadelphia, who had retired in 1984; Jan. 13.
L. Robert Tschirky CCC40, Flagstaff, Ariz., a retired editor and travel writer for The New York Times; Jan. 27. A former book illustrator, he had been book editor for the Book of Knowledge and art director for The Encyclopedia Americana. His travel articles, also syndicated in East Coast newspapers and magazines, displayed his broad knowledge of Spain.
Dr. Carl L. Anderson WEv41 C48 G51 Gr55, Durham, N.C., emeritus professor of English at Duke University; Jan. 22. He joined its faculty in 1955 and retired in 1990; he served as faculty ombudsman there from 1988 to 2000. A specialist in Scandinavian and 19th-century American literature, he wrote The Swedish Acceptance of American Literature and Poe in Northlight. He received a Fulbright scholarship to study in Norway (1961-2) and an American Philosophical Society Award in 1963. At Penn he was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and was a Harrison fellow; he was president of the Duke chapter, and he served as a senator of the Phi Beta Kappa Society and a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Foundation. Dr. Andersons wife is Jean Bradley Anderson CW48 G48.
Dr. Charles H. Classen GM41, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a retired pediatrician who had also served as chief of pediatrics at Bryn Mawr Hospital; Jan. 11. He had taught at Penns School of Medicine and the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia, where he had also served on the medical staff.
George A. Hassenstein W41, Green Lake, Minn., retired co-owner of the Hassenstein Steel Co. in Sioux Falls, S.D.; Feb. 3. He had also worked as a stockbroker for Piper Jaffray.
Frederick B. Northrup Jr. W41, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., a retired general agent for Berkshire Life Insurance Co. in Syracuse, N.Y., from 1962 to 1987; Jan. 1.
Donald M. Pollock ME41, Sun Lakes, Ariz., Dec. 9.
Woodrow W. Speir W41, Pasadena, Calif., Dec. 18.
James W. Wiltsie Jr. W41, Falmouth Foreside, Maine, retired head of a material-handling business; Feb. 14.
Dr. William H. Fairweather M42 GM49, Akron, Ohio, retired surgeon who served on the staff of Akron General Medical Center from 1952 to 1987; Feb. 20. An assistant professor of surgery at Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, where he was elected teacher-of-the-year in 1976. He was a founding member of the Society for Head and Neck Surgeons.
Dr. James D. Hardy M42 GM51, Madison, Miss., the retired head of surgery at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, who in 1964 implanted the first animal heart into a human, paving the way for the first human-to-human transplant three years later; Feb. 19. He headed three teams that pioneered operations: the first human-lung transplant in 1963; the animal-to-human heart transplant; and in 1987, a double-lung transplant that left the heart in place. Having conducted his research in relative obscurity, by 1964 he was ready to perform the first human-to-human heart transplant; but, when a suitable case presented itself, no human heart was available so he used a chimpanzee one. It beat on its own at first, but was too small to independently maintain circulation and the patient died after 90 minutes. He was chair of surgery at Mississippi from 1955, when the teaching hospital opened, until his retirement in 1987.
William C. Rudowsky WEv42, Sylvania, Ohio, retired director of corporate facilities with Owens-Illinois; Jan. 28.
Everett C. Russell GME42, Castine, N.H., retired supervisor of power stations for the Philadelphia Electric Co.; Oct. 21, 2002. He worked for what is now Peco from 1934 to 1974. He was a past president of the Castine Community Hospital.
Frank Weise Ar42, a Philadelphia architect who successfully led the campaign to sink Interstate 95 on its course past Penns Landing, and who helped shape the modern look of the city by giving its distinctive rowhouses a new, mid-century modern face; Jan. 31. He designed dozens of houses in Washington Square West, Rittenhouse Square, Fairmount, Roxborough, and other suburbs during a career that spanned more than a half-century. He achieved his greatest prominence as a civic activist: in 1963, after seeing a model of the proposed highway, he organized a group of architects and citizens into the Gateway Committee, which it produced a detailed plan, including his stylish drawings, and succeeded in persuading federal officials to sink the highway. Long before many architects talked about making new buildings fit in with their surroundings, he did just that: his sympathy for Philadelphias brick look won him the commission to renovate Head House Square and the surrounding area. That successful project received a national award. Frank Weise was a part of the citys cultural life for decades, helping found the Wilma Theater and the Theater of the Living Arts and serving on their boards for many years. Before his death he was working on a new design for Penns Landing to present at a public hearing in March.
Norman G. Cohen W43, West Palm Beach, Fla., retired vice president of Hess Oil and Chemical Co.; April 1. He had been president of his familys company, Central Fuel Oil, Inc., which was bought by Hess in the 1960s. A past president of the Jewish Social Service Agency of Greater Washington, he was an advocate and supporter of the Jewish Foundation for Group Homes, which his brother, S. Robert Cohen W49, had founded. Norman Cohen was a past president of what is now the National Parks Conservation Association. And he served on the boards of the National Bank of Commerce in Washington and Guardian Federal Savings & Loan in Bethesda, Md. During the Second World War he served in counterintelligence with the U.S. Army. A scholarship has been established in his memory at the University. His three children are all alumni: Jeffrey N. Cohen W71, whose own daughter is Jodi B. Cohen C02, Dr. John B. Cohen C73, and Nancy Cohen Roberts Nu78.
Dr. Edward L. Crain Jr. M43, Houston, a retired physician who had maintained a practice and taught medicine there for more than five decades; Feb. 1.
Charles Kanigel GME43, Jamesburg, N.J., Dec. 24, 2001.
H. Benner Koller WEF43, Reading, Pa., March 23, 2001.
Richard Lee Marks W43, Topeka, Kan., an author and playwright; Feb. 1.
William W. Morhard W43, Chadds Ford, Pa., a retired real estate broker; April 13, 2002.
Dr. James B. Scott L43 WG46, Media, Pa., a retired manufacturers representative and owner of a firm that sold stainless-steel retail to industrial and commercial companies; Jan. 28.
Dwayne W. Jensen GEE44, Downingtown, Pa., Jan. 8, 1999.
Julia Cheyney Knickerbocker G44, Bar Harbor, Maine, a retired occupational therapist at Mount Desert Island Hospital; Dec. 27. She had worked as a horticulturist for Bucknell College in Lewisburg, Pa.
Robert B. Lockwood C44, Mercer, Pa., Nov. 27, 2000.
Albert P. Smith WEv45, Sarasota, Fla., retired professor of general engineering at the Ogontz campus of Pennsylvania State University; Feb. 7.
Rita Rosen Troyen CW45, Reading, Pa., Feb. 8.
Dr. Eva Bamberger Mills CW46, Rock Hill, S.C., retired professor of English at Winthrop University; Oct. 11, 2002.
George B. Uicker GME46, Matthews, N.C., Jan. 26. Over a span of 25 years, he taught mechanical engineering at Villanova and Swarthmore colleges, the University of Detroit, and the Detroit Institute of Technology.
William M. Dowling WEv47 CGS59, Selbyville, Del., April 28, 1999.
1948 | Dr. Joseph A. Fernandez C48 G51, Playa de Aro, Spain, emeritus professor and former chair of Romance languages at East Carolina University, who retired in 1986; July 12, 2002. He specialized in Spanish phonetics and dialectology. He had taught at Penn.
George W. Frank WG48, New Holland, Pa., March 19, 2002.
Paul W. Haberman W48, New York, Oct. 21, 2002.
Eugene F. McAndrew W48, Wilkes Barre, Pa., retired manager and interior-design consultant with Hamilton House Ltd. in Norwich, N.Y.; Jan. 8. Serving with the U.S. Army Air Corps in the Second World War, he was captured during the Battles of Bataan and Corregidor and held prisoner for almost four years.
Irving L. Mazer W48 L52, Villanova, Pa., a corporate and real estate lawyer; Dec. 20. His daughter is Susan Levitt CW71 GEd71, and her husband is Jeffrey Levitt W71; and their daughter is Kate Levitt C02.
Dr. John A. Moore D48, Tacoma, Wash., a retired dentist who had maintained a practice for 35 years; Feb. 2. Having served with the U.S. Navy during the Korean War, he returned after the war as a visiting professor at Seoul University and helped re-organize its dental school.
Marguerite D. Smith CW48, Chelsea, Mich., emeritus professor of social work at Eastern Michigan University; Jan. 12. She had taught there from 1972 to 1992.
Carl M. Guelzo Ed49, Stevensville, Md., Jan. 28. He had taught economics at the University of Maryland for 28 years.
Thomas F. Kelly W49, Swarthmore, Pa., Jan. 21. For many years he had run an insurance agency with his wife, Ellen Lloyd Kelly CW49.
Dr. Robert R. Surratt GM49, Jackson, Miss., a retired radiologist; Jan. 18.
Baylen Kaskey ME50, East Marlborough, Pa., senior executive with the international division of AT&T Bell Laboratories; Feb. 21. He worked on the Nike missile, preliminary missions for the Apollo moon landing, and government communications systems. Transferred to Columbus, Ohio, with AT&T, he helped found the Columbus Landmark Association; transferred to Wheaton, Ill., he helped found the DuPage County Park Association. He was a former chair of the East Marlborough planning and historical commissions, and a past president of its land trust; a founding member of the Chester County (Pa.) Preservation Network, he also chaired the Kennett Area regional-planning commission. His brother is Leonard E. Kaskey W58 and his sister is Marlyn Kaskey Shrut Ed45 GEd46.
Dr. John B. Harmon M51, Fort Worth, a retired orthopaedic surgeon who was a former director of the orthopaedic-residency program at John Peter Smith Hospital; Jan. 20. For many years he had served as an orthopaedic surgeon in the U.S. Air Force.
Mary P. Lenihan Nu51, Brandon, Fla., retired surgical supervisor at the Cleveland Veterans Affairs Hospital; Jan. 31.
Dr. Raymond E. McKinley V51, Reno, Nev., a retired veterinarian; Feb. 6. His career included work on research into animal drugs with Hoffmann-La Roche in Nutley, N.J.
John H. Ross L51, Cambridge, Mass., Dec. 11.
Robert F. Sutton G51, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., retired associate librarian at Monmouth University in West Long Branch, N.J.; Feb. 17. He served on the board of the William Jeanes Memorial Library for 47 years.
John M. Clark WEv52, Warren, Pa., Aug. 14, 2002.
Jeanette Selby Devries CW52, Albuquerque, N.M., Jan. 12. When living outside Philadelphia, she served as a garden guide at Longwood Gardens and the Winterthur Museum in Delaware.
Robert E. Doyle W52, Rumney, N.H., Jan. 13.
Robert F. Miller W52, Harrison, Ohio, Dec. 4. He worked for 33 years for Cincinnati Milacron.
Dr. Clinton F. Ostrander Jr. D52, Vero Beach, Fla., a retired dentist who had maintained a practice in Basking Ridge, N.J., for many years; Feb. 8. He was a founding director of the Somerset Hills YMCA. At Penn he was an officer of Xi Psi Phi fraternity. He was married to Virginia Kickliter Ostrander DH52, his wife of 50 years.
Ralph R. Weiser Jr. WEF52, Womelsdorf, Pa., a retired assistant comptroller with the Hershey Chocolate Co.; Jan. 8.
Helen L. Ziegler Nu52, York, Pa., retired school nurse for the Southeast School District; Jan. 31. During the 1940s she worked for the U.S. Government, helping to establish nursing schools in Nicaragua, El Salvador, and other Central American countries. She won awards for several short stories she wrote about nursing. An avid traveler, she prided herself on having visited every state and province in the U.S. and Canada.
Robert J. Carrick WEv53, North Hills, Pa., Dec. 14.
Paul Gozick WEF53, Wilkes-Barre, Pa., retired co-founding president of Continental Data Processing, a payroll and record-keeping firm; Feb. 10. He had earlier worked as a systems engineer with IBM. He had served on the board of the Russian Orthodox Catholic Mutual Aid Society.
Dr. Alden H. Hayden M53, Pittsford, N.Y., a physician; Jan. 8.
John N. Kessler C53, Newport, R.I., retired founding president of KMI Corp., an international market-research and consulting company specializing in fiber-optic communications; Jan. 30. He had earlier worked as associate editor with Satellite and Microwave World, two industry publications. And he served on the board of the International Wire and Cable Symposium.
James S. ONeill WEv53, Wilmington, Del., a retired accountant in the treasurers office at the DuPont Co.; Feb. 11. He retired in 1985 after 46 years of service.
Marilyn Fleming Schultz OT53, Los Angeles, Jan. 13.
Hon. John M. Wajert C53 L56, Hawley, Pa., a retired attorney who had maintained a private practice in West Chester; Feb. 11. In the 1970s, he had served as a judge of the Court of Common Pleas of Chester County.
Julian H. Hollander C55, East Stroudsburg, Pa., Dec. 15. He worked for American Hospital-Baxter International in Edison, N.J., for 38 years before retiring in 1989.
Bertram H. Horowitz W55 GGS98, Haverford, Pa., an attorney, retired insurance adjuster, and civic activist; Jan. 29. As a co-owner of his familys firm, Young Adjustment Co., he represented the insured parties in disaster claimswhen the roof of the Spectrum blew off in 1968, and after fire destroyed Garden State Park race track in 1977. In 1999 he retired from the firm and became a consultant to a sons adjustment firm, assisting in settlement negotiations for the World Trade Center attack and the Florida anthrax cases. With a love of languages, he studied Italian and biblical Hebrew at Penn in his later years. And he was a former executive officer of the Philadelphia Opera Company and a former trustee of Albert Einstein Hospital.
Dr. Samuel K. McHutchinson M55, Kasota, Minn., a physician; Jan. 31.
Marjorie Milstein DH55, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., director of public relations and marketing for Five Star Travel, Inc.; Jan. 23.
Dr. James E. Kahoe D56, Kula, Hawaii, a retired dentist; Oct. 30, 2001.
Raymond L. Woodall Jr. WG56, Narberth, Pa., a retired accountant and management consultant; Jan. 27. In recent years he devoted himself to local history and politics, and was former president of the Narberth Historical Society. He also was a past president of Main Line Jaycees.
Mally Batt Shuster Nu56, Berkeley, Calif., retired German teacher at Central High School in Philadelphia, reputedly the first woman teacher there; Dec. 10. One of her daughters is Rita Shuster Ed62.
William B. Wood C56, Bronx, N.Y., a retired statistician and analyst with F. Eberstadt & Co., the Manhattan investment firm; Jan. 25.
1958 | Dr. Merrill G. Berthrong Gr58, Winston Salem, N.C., director of libraries and associate professor of history at Wake Forest University from 1964 to 1989; Jan. 14. He had taught at Penn, 1950-54, and served in administration for Penns libraries from 1956 to 1964.
Dr. Calvin D. Freeman G58, Beaver, Pa., retired professor and former chair of biology at Geneva College; Nov. 29.
Robert H. Goetz SW58, Feasterville, Pa., May 4, 2001.
Harriet B. Klein CW58, West Orange, N.J., Dec. 10, 2001.
Hilde R. Schweitzer SW58, Cambridge, Mass., retired social worker with Jewish Family Services in Baltimore for almost 40 years; Jan. 19.
1962 | Gwendolyn E. Braxton Nu62 GNu80, Dover, Del., founding chair of nursing and later the academic vice president for instructional support at Delaware State University; Dec. 18. She had been chair of medical-surgical nursing at Villanova University, and an instructor in community medicine at Penn, 1971-75.
Thomas K. Kashihara GEE62, Gaithersburg, Md., March 17, 2001.
Andrew Rauchwerk GEE62, Cinnaminson, N.J., a retired engineer at the RCA Missile and Surface Radar Division in Moorestown; Jan. 27.
1963 | Steven C. Camp W63, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., a certified financial planner and vice president of investments at Smith Barney, Inc.; May 20. He wrote three personal-finance books, Money: 127 Answers to Your Most-Asked Financial Questions, Money Matters Made Easy, and Money Rx for Physicians, and was a guest on radio and television talk shows, including CNN-fn, CNBC, Fox, and PBS. A columnist for Physicians Money Digest and Dentists Money Digest, he also wrote the Answerman column that ran in four Florida law-enforcement publications. He was recently appointed a trustee of the Fort Lauderdale police and firefighters pension system. A three-term president of Penns Alumni Club of the Florida Gold Coast, Steve Camp was a recent member of the Penn Alumni board and Penns Florida Regional Advisory Board; he was active in his Classs Reunion campaigns, and he was the driving force and host for The Penn Funds telethon-calling in Florida. One of his daughters is Elizabeth Camp C98.
1964 | Dr. John E. Fryer GM64, Philadelphia, the emeritus professor of psychiatry at Temple University, who in 1972 appeared before the American Psychiatric Association as Dr. H. Anonymous, admitting to being homosexual and a practicing psychiatrist; Feb. 21. To preserve his identity, he wore a wig, a full face mask, and spoke through a voice-distorting microphone. The appearance was a key point in the history of gay rights in this country, as it led the next year to the APA declassifying homosexuality as a pathology. At Temple he was also a professor of family and community medicine. He founded or helped found Physicians in Transition, Temples Family Life Development Center, and the Philadelphia AIDS Task Force. And for 30 years he was organist and choirmaster at St. Peters Episcopal Church in Germantown.
Nan M. Keiper SW64, Denver, a retired Philadelphia social worker; Jan. 6.
Lesley Hopwood Meyer CW64, Wallingford, Pa., Feb. 11. For the last 20 years she kept the financial records of her husbands architectural practice. She was a cellist. Beginning in 1976 she wrote carols as a Christmas gift to her friends; often based on ancient texts, they recorded the various fortunes of her own life.
Steven S. Nicolet W64, Milwaukee, Oct. 12, 2002.
1965 | Martin J. Aronstein L65, Philadelphia, a retired attorney and an emeritus professor of law; Feb. 18. He joined the faculty as an associate professor in 1969 and became a full professor in 1972, remaining in that position until 1977. The next year he joined the firm of Ballard, Spahr, Andrews & Ingersoll; after four years he returned to Penn Law as professor in 1981, retiring from the University in 1986. He became counsel at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius and remained there until 1995. He was a member of the ABAs Permanent Editorial Board of the Uniform Commercial Code. His wife, Sally R. Aronstein G65, died in November.
Dr. David W. Knepley GM65, Bloomsburg, Pa., a retired radiologist who had served as head of the X-ray department at Bloomsburg Hospital from 1978 to 1996; Feb. 1.
Dr. Seana Hirschfeld Shaw GM66, Miami Beach, a retired psychiatrist who had served as associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Miami; Feb. 6. She established the womens mental-health program, the psychotherapy-training program, and an eating-disorders program there.
Dr. Susan Greenawalt Coblentz M68, Rye, N.Y., a physician; Dec. 25. Her husband is Dr. Jay M. Coblentz M68, and their daughter is Julia A. Coblentz C97.
Lenora M. DeBernardo GEd68, Mount Laurel, N.J., retired mathematics teacher for the Bensalem (Pa.) School District, from 1958 to 1993; Dec. 12.
Dr. David B. P. Goodman M68 Gr72, Wynnewood, Pa., professor of pathology and laboratory medicine, and director of the endocrinology laboratory at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania; Feb. 16. He was a research associate at Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia (1972-76), then took up a teaching and research position at Yale University until 1980, when he returned to Penn as associate professor of pathology and laboratory medicine and director of the William Pepper Laboratory at HUP. He was appointed professor of pathology and laboratory medicine in 1982. Dr. Goodmans research focussed on how hormones and critical vitamins work in the body; he published over 130 papers and received a number of awards for his work. One of his sons is Derek M. Goodman W92 and Dereks wife is Lauren Beth Shedlin WG98. A scholarship fund has been established in Dr. Goodmans memory at the School of Medicine.
Richard Donald Myers Jr. EE68, Columbia, Md., a founding principal of KaleidoSystems, Inc., a management-consulting firm; Feb. 3. He had earlier worked for over 34 years at Westinghouse (later named Northrop Grumman), having started as a radar-display design engineer, and then in its operations program management. He also served on the adjunct faculty in the business school at Johns Hopkins University and at the University of Phoenix. At Penn he was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity.
1969 | Dr. Thomas H. Coyle GrEd69, Ventnor, N.J., former director of counseling at Temple University; Dec. 11. He later taught and served as dean of student affairs at Montgomery County Community College in Blue Bell, Pa.
John W. Heiss WG69, San Francisco, a founding partner of Hughes, Heiss & Associates, a management-consulting firm; Feb. 2.
1971 | Robert M. Hultman ME71 GME75, Lititz, Pa., Jan. 20. He was formerly president of Conair Martin in Agawam, Mass., and a senior consultant with Gemini Consulting in Moorestown, N.J. At Penn he was president of Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity.
1972 | Nancy Longnecker Hubby GCP72, Philadelphia, retired director of planning for two architectural firms, better known as the early driving force behind the Chestnut Hill Historical Society, which succeeded in getting virtually all of the suburb recognized as an historic district; Feb. 18. From her leading others in the move to preserve one building in 1966, the society took life the next year. As its second president she gathered volunteers, and the society raised money for a consulting firm and undertook a survey of every building in the district, presented in Chestnut Hill: An Architectural History (1969). She was instrumental in restoring Gravers Lane Station (designed by Frank Furness) and saving Stevens House and Disston House. She also co-wrote Preserving and Maintaining the Older Home (1983).
Richard H. Shalvoy SW72, Westland, Mich., Dec. 5, 2000.
1973 | Reese E. Griffin Jr. G73, Beaufort, S.C., Dec. 29. He had taught automotive mechanics in Connecticut before moving to South Carolina; he had previously taught at the Technical College of the Lowcountry.
1977 | Dr. Robin Hart Gr77, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., retired assistant director of the natural-resources department of Sarasota County, Fla.; Dec. 19. She made national headlines in 1978 for successfully suing fellow passengers who illegally smoked on the bus on which she commuted from New Jersey to Manhattan, where she worked as an environmental consultant. She was a past president of the Audubon Society in Florida, and a board member of the Florida Defenders of the Environment.
1978 | Dr. Charles D. Meyers GM78, Mobile, Ala., a retired psychiatrist who had maintained a practice there for many years, having been the first clinical director of the Mobile Mental Health Center; Jan. 30. Following retirement, he served as clinical director of the Searcy Hospital for seven years.
1983 | Charles S. Thorp GAr83, Havertown, Pa., a partner of Waterer and Throp Architecture Ltd.; Jan. 16. He designed a number of buildings and sites in this country, the U.K., and Japan. He was an adjunct professor of architecture at Drexel University.
Martin J. Aronstein. See Class of 1965.
Dr. Merrill G. Berthrong. See Class of 1958.
Gwendolyn E. Braxton. See Class of 1962.
Dr. Charles H. Classen. See Class of 1941.
Dr. Ruth J. Dean Hon79, New York, emeritus professor of English and Romance Languages, who chaired Penns medieval-studies program in the 1960s and 1970s; Feb. 3, at 100 years. A leading Anglo-Norman specialist, her last publication is the definitive Anglo-Norman Literature: A Guide to Texts and Manuscripts (London, 1999), which she co-wrote with Dr. Maureen B. McCann Boulton Gr76.
Dr. Joseph A. Fernandez. See Class of 1948.
Dr. David B. P. Goodman. See Class of 1968.
Dr. Edgar L. Ralston. See Class of 1937.