1928 | Elizabeth Cotterill Garbay Ed’28, Richboro, Pa., a retired high-school English teacher; Sept. 23, 2005. At Penn she was a member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority. She was an accomplished pianist. Her son is Roland J. Greenwood Jr. ME’63.
Robert Leopold W’29, York, Pa., March 15, 2005.
1933 | Dr. J. Clifford Scott M’33, Newtown Square, Pa., a retired physician; March 26. Two of his daughters are Kathleen S. Shuster G’81, and Emily Scott Brown FA’66, whose husband is William M. Brown FA’67. One of his grandchildren is Alexandra Scott Porter C’91. His brother-in-law is Dr. Richard B. Devereux M’71 GM’77.
Rev. William G. Silbert W’34, Lincoln, R.I., Dec. 21, 2003.
Russell D. Smalley W’34, Greenwood Lake, N.Y., Oct. 30, 2005.
Ruth Atkinson Brod Ed’36, Avon, Conn., July 25, 2002.
Morton M. Fisher W’36, Surfside, Fla., a retired home builder in South Florida; Dec. 3. A founder of County National Bank, he was known for his witty sign-sayings at the North Miami Beach branch. During World War II he was a lieutenant commander in the U. S. Navy, stationed in the South Pacific.
Dr. George P. Keefer C’36 M’39 GM’45, Devon, Pa., Sept 10, 2002.
Calvin P. Webb WEv’36, Media, Pa., April 1.
J. Wilson Stewart W’37, Silver Spring, Md., April 14.
C. Herbert Wheeler Jr. Ar’37, State College, Pa., professor emeritus of architectural engineering at Pennsylvania State University; Jan. 7. From 1938 to 1942 he worked as an architectural designer for the Austin Co. and J.G. White Engineering Corp. In 1955 he joined the Stran Steel Corp. in Detroit as manager of engineering, and manager of environmental systems at the Research Center of Curtiss-Wright Corps in 1958. In 1964 he joined Penn State as associate professor of architectural engineering with a joint appointment in the Penn State Building Research Institute; he became a full professor in 1970. He headed a program for the U.S. Department of Education to develop a system of mobile education units for Appalachia. He directed several projects for the American Institute of Architects, the findings of which were published in two books: Emerging Techniques of Architectural Practice and Emerging Techniques of Architectural Programming. A permanent secretary general of the International Union of Architects, he traveled internationally promoting education and better architectural practice. Commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Reserves in 1937, he served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers during World War II. On leaving the service as a major, he received a Commendation Ribbon.
Dr. Robert E. Boswell GM’38, Sanibel, Fla., Nov. 21, 2003.
Margaret Huggins Burrall OT’38, Wyndmoor, Pa., March 26. Her husband, Charles L. Burrall Jr. C’35 G’36, died in 2004.
Dr. Ellenetta Beachley Noble M’38, Holly Springs, N.C., Aug. 13, 2005.
Dr. John V. Prevost M’38, Tioga, Pa., Aug. 3, 2002.
Murray Sockolow C’38, Tenafly, N.J., Nov. 25, 2003.
Henry W. Yocom C’38 G’40, Philadelphia, July 1, 2005.
1939 | Stanley B. Adler ChE’39, Olympia, Wash., a chemical engineer for the M. W. Kellogg Co. for over 50 years; April 21. He published numerous technical papers and was a fellow of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers. A Boy Scout leader for 10 years, he was also an ardent amateur ham radio operator. And he was active in Reform Judaism. During World War II he was an aircraft inspector for the U.S. Navy. His brother is Jerrold M. Adler W’41 and his brother-in-law is Dr. Leonard L. Malamut C’39 M’43.
Allan S. Barnett W’39, Northbrook, Ill., March 22. Known as “Sonny,” at Penn he was a member of Pi Lambda Phi fraternity and the swim team. He also played football and golf. During World War II he served as a U.S. Naval officer.
Eaton Cromwell Jr. C’39, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a former advertising executive; April 1.
Dr. Joe Nelson Jarrett M’39 GM’43, Port Republic, Md., April 27, 2004.
Robert F. Lloyd W’39, Mount Dora, Fla., a general manager for the Hartford Insurance Co. for 42 years, until his retirement in 1981; Jan. 29. At Penn he was president of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. He was general manager of the Cincinnati office then the Pittsburgh office. In 1972 he transferred to Orlando, Fla., as regional general manager. During World War II he had served as an officer in the Coast Guard, with duty in the North Atlantic as a weather reporter for aircraft being transported to England, and for several years in the South Pacific as a boat captain for Marines landing on the islands being invaded.
Dr. Stanley G. Pensak C’39 D’41, West Caldwell, N.J., Feb. 22.
Dr. E. Barclay Rile V’39, Glenside, Pa., July 26, 2004.
Gordon Boyd W’40, Convent Station, N.J., Feb. 27.
Francis J. Helinek Jr. Ed’40 GEd’41, Spring Mount, Pa., April 13, 2005.
Dr. Horace H. Hodges M’40 GM’44, Matthews, N.C., Feb. 22, 2005.
Dr. Oscar M. Marchman Jr. GM’40, Dallas, Dec. 26.
Austin R. Miller ChE’40 L’47, Pennington, N.J., a patent lawyer for 50 years, 25 of them in his own firm; March 28. During the 1970s he was president of the Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association. He was a member of the Union League of Philadelphia bridge team. During World War II he served with the U.S. Navy.
Kingman T. Moore W’40, Oklahoma City, June 4, 2004.
L. Howard Shingle Jr. C’40, Bryn Mawr, Pa., the retired president of his family’s firm, L.H. Shingle Co., a producer of industrial leather products; April 2. He retired in the 1980s. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy aboard the destroyer U.S.S. Meredith, which provided gunfire support to the landing force on Utah Beach during the D-Day invasion on June 6, 1944. The next day the ship struck an enemy mine and was severely damaged; enemy bombers sunk it two days later. His wife is Jeanette H. Shingle CW’44.
John Edward Welsh Jr. WEv’40, Audubon, Pa., April. His sons are John Edward Welsh III WG’78, and William James Welsh MtE’74.
Roland R. Witte W’40, Los Angeles, Jan. 1.
Dr. Leonard L. Zeldow D’40, Binghamton, N.Y., Oct. 5, 2005.
Dr. James H. French M’41, Brundidge, Ala., July 15, 2005.
Dr. Joseph S. Gots G’41 Gr’48, Silver Spring, Md., professor emeritus of microbiology at the University; April 16. He joined the Penn faculty as an assistant professor of microbiology in 1951. Four years later he was promoted to associate professor of microbiology in medicine and in 1963 was promoted to professor. He became emeritus in 1987, but continued to teach until 1993. A devoted professor, he took a sabbatical leave the year that his son, Dr. Ronald E. Gots C’64 M’68, took microbiology so that he would not have to be his son’s teacher, Ronald recalled. In 1968 he received the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching. He also headed the 25-Year Club during the 1980-81 academic year. While at Penn Dr. Gots conducted research on genetics. He is known as being among the first microbiologists to study modern genetics before the discovery of DNA. Active in the Boy Scouts, he was an Eagle Scout and merit-badge counselor. He served Stateside during World War II at a clinical lab in Florida. His wife is Selma S. Gots GEd’60 and his daughter is Lynne S. Gots GEd’76.
Jean Rosenthal Bellet Green CW’41, Palm Beach, Fla., April 4. A philanthropist to the University, in honor of her first husband, Dr. Samuel Bellet, professor of clinical cardiology, she established the Samuel Bellet Professorship of Cardiology, the Samuel Bellet Scholarships for joint MD/Master of Bioethics degrees, and she donated the Samuel Bellet, M.D. Conference Room at the Raymond and Ruth Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine. And she was a generous donor to the University’s libraries. She received the Alumni Award of Merit in 1975. Along with financially supporting charities in Philadelphia and Palm Beach, she served on the Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority in the 1960s, was active on the boards of many organizations, and was a member of the foster-care review board in Palm Beach County in the 1980s. Her daughter is Joan Bellet Roache CW’71. Jean’s brother, Harry Rosenthal Jr. ME’34, died in 2003; his daughter is Jean Rosenthal Katz CW’68, whose son is Jeffrey L. Katz C’95.
Dr. Leigh Lisker C’41 G’46 Gr’49, Philadelphia, emeritus professor and a former chair of linguistics at the University; March 24. One of the first members of the linguistics department, he began as an assistant instructor of German in 1947 before beginning to teach linguistics in 1949. From 1951 to 1959 he was an assistant professor of linguistics and Dravidian linguistics. He was associate professor of linguistics and Dravidian linguistics, 1960-64, and professor of linguistics from 1965 until his retirement in 1989. He served as chair from 1970 to 1978. He was a visiting professor at Georgetown, Princeton, and Columbia universities, and at the Central Institute of Indian Languages and Osmania University, both in India. He also worked at the Haskins Laboratories in New Haven, Conn., where he was a senior scientist from 1951 until his death. Dr. Lisker also made important contributions to Dravidian linguistics, including the book Introduction to Spoken Telugu. HHe received several awards, including a 1967 Guggenheim Foundation fellowship and fellowships from the American Council of Learned Societies and the Fulbright Foundation. He was elected a fellow of the Acoustical Society of America in 1979. During World War II he served as a U.S. Army intelligence interrogator while stationed in Europe with the Fifth Army.
William J. McGlinchey W’41, Schuylkill Haven, Pa., March 9, 2005.
Lt. Col. Charles R. Meyers W’41, Newtown Square, Pa., May 11.
Oren H. Persons Jr. C’41, Coatesville, Pa., Sept. 14, 2004.
Chester A. Tibbetts WG’41, Middletown, Conn., Feb. 14, 2005.
1942 | Dr. William Hewson Baltzell IV C’42, Philadelphia, a surgeon and professor of clinical otolaryngology at Jefferson Hospital for more than 50 years; March 26. At Penn he was a member of Delta Psi fraternity; in later years he served for a time as head of its national organization, St. Anthony Hall. He came from a long line of doctors tracing back to British physiologist William Hewson, an early researcher in blood and lymph and a close friend of Benjamin Franklin. Early childhood illnesses led to his interest in becoming a physician himself. Along with teaching and private practice, he had been an attending surgeon at numerous regional hospitals, including Pennsylvania Hospital, Chestnut Hill Hospital, Germantown Hospital, Philadelphia General, and Methodist Hospital. He delivered both of his own children, at home. As a physician he had a reputation as an “old-fashioned” doctor with a good beside manner, a real interest in his patients, and a sense of humor, according to his son, W. Hewson Baltzell C’80 WG’85. Dr. Baltzell’s career at Jefferson began in 1946 and, although he retired from the department of otolaryngology in 1987, he continued to teach Introduction to Physical Diagnosis and conduct grand rounds until 2004, when he was 85. He became president of the Jefferson Alumni Association in 1988. His research publications include The Dying Patient: When the Focus Must Be Changed (1971), which questions the practice of keeping a patient alive at all costs and advocates a sensible and sensitive approach to allowing patients to die with dignity. He was a member of the Philadelphia Club, the Fourth Street Club, and the Society of the Cincinnati, the country’s oldest military-heritage organization. After his retirement he became a self-taught furniture restorer, eventually redoing almost every piece in his house. (“Fifty years of deferred maintenance,” he said.) And he began his annual tradition of walking the 12 miles from Chestnut Hill to Philadelphia each spring, just to enjoy the trip. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in post-World War II Germany, where he operated an army surgery near Wiesbaden; he was discharged with the rank of captain in 1949. His extensive Penn family includes his wife, Martha P. Baltzell CGS’75, and his son Hewson. His two brothers, Dr. E. Digby Baltzell W’39 Hon’89, and Jean P. J. Baltzell L’42, are deceased (Digby, the longtime and famous sociology professor at Penn, was responsible for providing his lifelong nickname, Pete or Pedy: when William was born, Digby could not pronounce the baby’s name, so he called his new brother after Peter Rabbit). One of his nephews is Francis D. Baltzell C’80, Jean’s son.
Dr. Stephen I. Dodd M’42, Mifflintown, Pa., Aug. 28, 2004.
Arthur G. Dorfman Ed’42, Haddon Heights, N.J., Jan. 22.
Dr. William M. Harris Jr. M’42 GM’48, Birmingham, Ala., Nov. 2.
Ivan E. Robinson EE’42, Danbury, Conn., May 13.
Dr. Allen M. Sakler GM’42, Dallas, Oct. 16, 2005.
Dr. Louis C. Skinner Jr. GM’42, Coral Gables, Fla., April 23, 2005.
George E. Stock W’42, Tallahassee, Fla., former vice chair of Midlantic Corp. and CEO of Midlantic National Bank in Englewood, N.J.; May 5. At Penn he was an All-American lacrosse player and an accomplished crooner, appearing on the Fred Allen Radio Show in 1939. He began his career with Chase Manhattan Bank in 1946. In 1965 he moved to Miami to become president of the United Banking Group (now Suntrust). In 1974 he returned to the north to assume presidency of a subsidiary of Midlantic Banks. He retired in 1997. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps; stationed mainly in the Philippine Islands, he resigned as a reserve captain in 1945.
Dr. Raymond S. Berkowitz EE’43 GEE’48 GrE’51, Germantown, Pa., emeritus professor of electrical engineering at the University, who specialized in complex mathematical signal analysis; April 20. He worked on radar systems at RCA, 1943-44. During World War II he was a U.S. Navy radio engineer on the destroyer USS Joseph P. Kennedy Jr., where he served with Robert Kennedy.
Dr. Samuel O. Black Jr. M’43, Spartanburg, S.C., March 18, 2002.
Dr. Joseph F. Brown V’43, Cupertino, Calif., July 22, 2005.
Carl E. Carson W’43, Wellsboro, Pa., of the Carson Investment Co.; Nov. 4, 2004.
Daniel Y. King W’43, Hudson, N.Y., Oct. 22, 2004.
Dr. John W. Kirklin GM’43, Birmingham, Ala., April 21, 2004.
Donald E. Liederman W’43, Los Angeles, Sept. 23, 2004.
Frank L. Mustaro WEv’43, Springfield, Pa., Feb. 1.
Robert H. Rosner W’43, Voorhees, N.J., March 8.
Philip E. Scott Jr. W’43, Lumberton, N.J., a retired executive; Feb. 25. He worked as international vice president of the Esterbrook Pen Company throughout the 1950s. Based in Camden, he traveled frequently to plants in England, Mexico, and South America. In 1963 he became president of Lif-O-Gen, Inc., a company that produced emergency oxygen and laboratory gasses. From 1973 to 1984 he was president of Samuel Kirk & Son (later Kirk-Stieff), a maker of fine silver based in Baltimore. He then served as chair and CEO of the Burns & Russell Co., a manufacturer of building materials, and later as an executive with Cutronix, Inc., both in Maryland. In later years he became committed to working with the Baltimore-based Abell Foundation, which created and saved manufacturing jobs in the city. He was a former chair of the Family Counseling Service in Camden, the Moorestown Free Library, and the local YMCA. He served a term on the Moorestown Town Council. In 1965 he was an organizer of the First National Bank of Moorestown and was a director there until 1973. During World War II he served on the U.S.S. Raleigh.
Richard A. Tashman W’43, Great Neck, N.Y., June 4, 2005.
Dell R. Tredinnick Jr. W’43 WG’48, Doylestown, Pa., Dec. 31.
William A. Angus Jr. EE’44, Medford, N.J., March 30. One of his sons is William A. Angus III W’68, whose son is William A. Angus IV C’92.
Dr. Emil S. Kustin D’44, Boynton Beach, Fla., Oct. 27, 2005.
Louis R. Liuzzi C’44, Havertown, Pa., Jan. 17.
Dr. Richard W. McClain D’44, Tyrone, Pa., a practicing dentist, until his retirement in 1990; March 7. He was past president of the Blair County Dental Society. A former board member of the Tyrone YMCA, he was a past president of the Tyrone Rotary Club, from which he received his 50-year membership in 2002. He had been a Cub Scout leader and member of Tyrone’s Selective Service Board for several years. During World War II he was a captain in the U.S. Army Dental Corps, Fifth Replacement Depot, serving in the Philippines.
Dr. Marco Rabinovitz Ch’44, Bethesda, Md., May 13, 2005.
Dr. Harry T. Remmer Jr. M’44, Miami, Feb. 15, 2003.
Dr. William R. Shaw V’44, Pawnee, Ill., April 7, 2005.
Dr. Edward A. Smith M’44, San Rafael, Calif., Aug. 23, 2005.
Dr. John A. Sterner M’44 GM’48, Federal Way, Wash., June 2, 2003.
Erwin G. Stremme C’44 WG’49, Tulsa, Okla., May 21, 2005.
Dr. George Zislis C’4 M’48, Rolling Hills, Calif., Dec. 31.
Catherine DeWaele Huston Ed’45, Kennett Square, Pa., April 24. She had help set up a Head Start program in Bridgeton, N.J. A member of the Women’s Auxiliary of Bridgeton Hospital, she was instrumental in the planning and construction of the hospital’s chapel. And she served on a New Jersey State Hospital commission.
Julia Wright Karr Ed’45, Cupertino, Calif., Feb. 15.
Louise R. Leatherland PSW’45, Sparta, N.C., March 22, 2005.
Dr. James A. Ruth D’45, Reading, Pa., Nov. 9.
Dr. Roy E. Swenson M’45, San Antonio, Tex., April 7, 2005.
Dr. George S. Boyer GM’46, Allentown, Pa., Nov. 15, 2005.
Joseph A. Corr WEv’46, Langhorne, Pa., retired treasurer and controller of Philadelphia Steel & Wire Corp.; March 12.
Geneva A. Gates OT’46, Berkeley, Calif., Nov. 9, 2004.
Rheta Dattner Goldberg CW’46, Lafayette, Calif., Jan. 20.
Lawrence Snyder C’46, Brigantine, N.J., Feb. 25, 2005.
Alice M. Thompkins GEd’46, Pemberton, N.J., Nov. 28, 2001.
Dr. James H. Walker M’46, Birmingham, Ala., Jan. 26.
Harris S. Zimmerman Ed’46 GEd’47, Wynnewood, Pa., the retired vice president of investment banking for the Philadelphia office of UBS Paine Webber; May 2. At Penn he was a member of varsity track, throwing the hammer and discus. He taught history at Barratt Junior High School in South Philadelphia, 1948-68. Deciding to become an investment banker, he joined what was then Butcher and Singer, which became UBS Paine Webber. He retired in 2003. In 1953 he became a field judge for the Penn Relays, officiating for shotput, discus, javelin, and hammer events. He moved up to head field judge in 1979. In 2001 he was awarded the Herman J. Mancini Award for service to the relay games; he ceased officiating in 2003. His wife is Marcia Gerwitz Zimmerman Ed’55 GGS’98 and his sons are Frederick J. Zimmerman C’84 and Robert Eric Zimmerman C’88.
Dr. Arnold G. Clement D’47, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., 2004.
Henry E. McCone G’47, Wayne, Pa., June 25, 2005.
Samuel Raffel W’47, Annapolis, Md. Jan. 31, 2005.
Edith Elster Ruina PSW’47, Cambridge, Mass., Nov. 27.
Emmet Salem Jr. W’47, Palm Desert, Calif., March 18, 2003.
Arthur Stoler W’47, Dallas, Feb. 25.
Edwin M. Libbin WG’48, Framingham, Mass., April 17.
Ruth Kolber Salvin Ed’48, Penn Valley, Pa., April 7.
Carl J. Sudehoff W’48, Fort Wayne, Ind., Aug. 3, 2005.
Natalie Ford Veitch CW’48, Audubon, Pa., Feb. 13, 2005.
Dr. Park Weed Willis M’48 GM’52, Ann Arbor, Mich., Dec. 28, 2003.
Julius C. Carlson W’49, Hendersonville, N.C., March 13.
Rose Reale Faralli CW’49, Newtown Square, Pa., March 24. One of her children is Dr. Victor J. Faralli C’75 GM’87, whose son is Christopher M. Faralli C’08.
Walter C. Marden W’49, Ocean City, N.J., June 4, 2005.
Dr. Michael M. Martuscello GM’49, New York, Oct. 11, 2003.
George W. Shroyer II W’49, Villanova, Pa., May 30, 2004.
Bert L. Steele C’49, Tampa, Fla., Aug. 26, 2002.
Dr. Bruce W. Wardropper G’49, Durham, N.C., Jan. 6, 2004.
Dr. Van V. Chambers M’50, Santa Cruz, Calif., June 22, 2004.
Dr. Milton Fineman M’50, Vineland, N.J., Jan. 1.
Dr. John F. Gibbons GM’50, Scarborough, Maine, Nov. 16, 2004.
Dr. Howard L. Levenson GM’50, Boca Raton, Fla., Sept. 15, 2004.
Henry J. Prominski C’50, Gainesville, Fla., a retired attorney and former Florida state representative; April 1. A partner with the law firm of Miller & Tucker in Pompano Beach, Fla., he served two terms in the Florida House of Representatives (1966-70). During the 1950s he was a U.S. Naval aviator on active duty in Maine and in the Mediterranean.
Corinne L. Shapiro FA’50, Pittsfield, Mass., Feb. 7.
J. Howell Staley WEv’50, Newtown Square, Pa., Jan. 25.
Dr. William H. Torquato GM’50, El Cerrito, Calif., April 5, 2004.
Saul Cohen WEv’51, Philadelphia, March 30, 2005.
Peter J. Dalton W’51, Nantucket, Mass., March 21, 2003.
Dr. William M. Davis GM’51, Akron, Ohio, March 14.
Dorothy McCabe Ford CW’51, Bound Brook, N.J., Jan. 8, 2005.
Thelma Barab Gardner Ed’51, Merion, Pa., Jan. 16, 2005.
James J. Groberg W’51, New York, a retired financial executive; April. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in Okinawa, Japan. Two of his sons are Neil H. Groberg W’75 and Eric L. Groberg WG’89.
James G. Healy GEE’51, Port St. Lucie, Fla., March 2.
Earle R. Hitchner Jr. WEv’51, Hatboro, Pa., Nov. 1, 2004.
Dr. Philip O. Lichtblau GM’51, Jupiter, Fla., Dec. 5, 2001.
Richard A. McLaughlin W’51 WG’52, Yardley, Pa., May 7.
Dr. John M. Pulliam GM’51, West Collingswood, N.J, June 11, 2005.
Dr. James W. Rogers GM’51, Macon, Ga., Dec. 30, 2003.
Dr. Robert M. Santo D’51, Rochester, N.Y., Aug. 6, 2005.
Donald N. Ekvall EE’52 WG’54, Gwynedd, Pa., a professional engineer; April 27. He was a fellow of the American Society for Quality. And he was a retired lieutenant commander in the U.S. Naval Reserves. His brother, Raymond A. Ekvall MtE’56 GMt’60, died in 2003.
Frank H. Ellers WEv’52, Ridley Park, Pa., March 3.
Dr. Joseph A. Furey, Wildwood, N.J., Nov. 27, 2001.
Dr. Joseph C. Goldschmidt GD’52, Coatesville, Pa., April 1. Two of his nephews are Robert J. Goldschmidt C’80 and Joseph T. Goldschmidt W’83.
Dr. Philip H. Hover GM’52, Sarasota, Fla., Feb. 22, 2005.
Herbert M. Liss W’52, Cincinnati, Dec. 2, 2004.
Joan B. Miholits CW’52, Half Moon Bay, Calif., Jan. 25.
Margaret Bocker Piccone CW’52, Larchmont, N.Y., May 8. A trustee of Larchmont Village (1979-83), she had served as founding co-chair of the town beautification committee. Her son is Theodore J. Piccone C’84.
Gerald Plotkin W’52, New York, a retired attorney; April 10, 2005.
David F.W. Schmidt W’52, Grand Island, Fla., a vice president at Merrill Lynch Inc. for 28 years until his retirement in 1992; March 30. At Penn he was a member of Alpha Chi Rho fraternity. He was later vice president of Laurelwood Orchids, a business he had started with his wife. He was a past manager and treasurer of the Barrington Little League in New Jersey, as well as chief umpire of that district. After receiving his EMT certificate he became a member of the Chase City Rescue Squad in Virginia. In Florida he was active with a local theater group, served as an editor of The Pembroke Press newspaper, and managed an “over 50” softball team. He had been a captain in the U.S. Army. His brother-in-law is William A. Runner Jr. WEv’66.
Joseph G. Bittle WEv’53, Warminster, Pa., a hospital purchasing director, until his retirement in 1980; April 4.
John J. Fallon Jr. W’53, Sun Valley, Calif., March 12.
Suzanne Jacobsen Ed’53, Fort Myers, Fla., May 10, 2002.
Dr. Luther B. Lowe GM’53, Roanoke, Va., Jan. 3, 2004.
Martin J. Mannion Jr. WEv’53, Drexel Hill, Pa., April 13.
Doris Oshtry Powlen CW’53 G’56, Philadelphia, April 22. Two of her sons are Noah D. Powlen C’84 and Richard A. Powlen C’88. Her brother is Norman A. Oshtry G’50.
John J. Reese W’53, Red Bank, N.J., March 29, 2005.
Elizabeth W. Buffington Nu’54 GNu’67, Havertown, Pa., March 10.
Dr. H. Paul Carstens GM’54, Sarasota, Fla., Feb. 15.
Dr. James W. Miksch Jr. D’54, Lititz, Pa., Feb. 19.
Judith Schwartz Rice Ed’54, Havertown, Pa., May 12, 2005.
Allan M. Stave C’54, Surprise, Ariz., Jan. 23, 2005.
Dr. Virginia Hamilton Trexler D’54, Huntingdon, Pa., Jan. 2.
1955 | Mary Mihutz Carr Nu’55, Allentown, Pa., a teacher of nursing at Harrisburg Hospital during the 1950s and a nurse for Allentown State Hospital, 1983-87; July 27, 2005. From 1991 until retiring in 2004 she was part-owner of the family firm, A&B Lock & Safe Co.
Elton A. Conda WEv’55, Burlington, N.J., the elected county surrogate for 40 years; April 21. Popular with Republicans and Democrats alike, he held the longest surrogate tenure in New Jersey history, from 1966 to 2006 (surrogates handle what are now low-level legal tasks which were long ago the role of the governor). While serving in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II, he was a machine gunner in a B-17 Flying Fortress when it collided with a German plane, following a bombing mission over North Africa; the plane landed safely after flying an additional 1,500 miles. He received numerous medals and awards for his wartime service.
Doris Archibald Cross Nu’55, Hanover, Va., Jan. 31, 2005.
Marjorie Downes Joire GEd’55, Newtown Square, Pa., a retired teacher at the Ithan Elementary School in Bryn Mawr and the Radnor Middle School; March 27. She taught fourth and fifth grade for the Radnor School District for 35 years, beginning in 1963. Earlier she had taught elementary school for 10 years in Springfield. She also taught night-school classes at area colleges, including Eastern University, before her retirement in 1998. She was a member of the Philadelphia chapter of Alpha Delta Kappa sorority.
Richard K. Laros W’55, Corona, Calif., Nov. 12.
Richard J. Partridge Jr. C’55, Philadelphia, June 30, 2005.
Samuel E. Wolf W’55, North Miami, March 23, 2005.
Charles F. Wood PT’55, Mount Laurel, N.J., a physical therapist and physical-education teacher for special-needs children in the Cherry Hill public schools for 27 years; April 26.
Kenneth I. Dewitt EE’56, Phoenix, Md., Feb. 24.
Raymond A. Ekvall MtE’56 GMt’60, Cincinnati, Oct. 16, 2003. His brother, Donald N. Ekvall EE’52 WG’54, died in April of this year. (See class of 1952.)
Dr. Sholom I. Handelman C’56 SW’58, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., former manager of Gratz College in Philadelphia; May 3.
Dr. Melville H. Haskell Jr. GM’56, Santa Barbara, Calif., Jan. 17.
Lilla McKnight Licht CP’56, Washington, Feb. 1.
Carl M. Meyerson W’56, Miami, May 28, 2005.
Mae Singer Maser SW’56, Pompano Beach, Fla., Nov. 17, 2001.
J. William O’Neill Ar’56 GAr’57, Doylestown, Pa., July 22, 2004.
Barbara Redcay Robinson DH’56, Wayne, Pa., March 26. In later years she worked as a nurse’s aide and companion, providing care for elderly shut-ins.
Dorothy Newman Rutchik CW’57, Miami, Jan. 12, 2002.
1958 | Henry J. Huber WEv’58, Lansdale, Pa., the federal tax manager at Sun Oil Co. (now Sunoco), until his retirement in 1985; April 3. He began in the mail room and, after earning his degree at Wharton, rose to an administrative position. He served on the church council of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Southampton. He served in the U.S. Army in Austria, 1953-55.
Julia J. Beniamino GEd’59, Bayamon, Puerto Rico, Dec. 27, 2003.
Dr. Frederick M. Chacker D’59 GD’61, Philadelphia, a retired periodontist; May 10. Two of his children are Hilarie A. Chacker CW’75 GEd’76 and Dr. Laurence G. Chacker D’85.
John A. Craven Jr. WEv’59, Long Beach, N.J., April 14.
William J. Geen L’59, Easton, Md., a partner in the New York law firm of Chadbourne & Parke, LLP from 1971 to 1995; April 1.
Dr. Douglas F. Lamont W’59, Madison, Wis., retired professor of management at Northwestern University; April 8.
A. Frederick McGourty C’59, Norfolk, Conn., a former editor of publications at Brooklyn Botanic Gardens; April 27. In the mid-1970s he moved to Norfolk, where he and his wife ran the Hillside Gardens for many years.
Dr. Harold B. Shorr D’59, Woodcliff Lake, N.J., May 17.
Rulon E. Wetherill Ed’59, Cape May, N.J., Dec. 7, 2004.
Jeanine Jacobs Goldberg Ed’60, Los Angeles, an attorney with the firm of Tyre, Kamins, Katz, Granof & Menes; January.
Robert A. Norman W’60, Boca Raton, Fla., Jan. 21.
James H. Stevenson III W’60, West Palm Beach, Fla., the retired president of Stevenson, Bro. & Co. in Philadelphia, which was founded by his great grandfather in 1863; April 14.
Catherine L. Winterle GEd’60, Philadelphia, Nov. 29.
Cynthia H. Kelly GNu’66, Voorhees, N.J., June 23, 2005.
1975 | Thomas F. Spencer WG’75, Middlebury, Conn., an independent investor; Aug. 28, 2005. Earlier he had held in management positions with A.T. Kearney, Phelps Dodge, and Crane Corp. He also had advised the Polish government on privatization, and had been a consultant on industrial-restructuring projects in Russia and China. And he helped supervise elections in Bosnia, Kosovo, Belarus, and Armenia for the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe. During the Vietnam War he was a U.S. Naval officer who received a Purple Heart for injuries suffered in the Mekong Delta.
Isabel B. Ferguson L’79 ASC’95, Philadelphia, a former computer scientist with the U.S. Strategic Air Command, who later computerized the card catalogues of the University library; May 6. From 1958 to 1979 she had worked as a mathematician in government research on the first generation of orbiting space vehicles; she later conducted studies for SAC and wrote programs for its mainframe computers. She was also an adviser to professors, researchers, and students at various regional universities in the use of software. At Penn from 1982 to 1993, she computerized the library’s two-million-card catalog system. For five years she freelanced, then became a researcher for several law firms.
Estelle Carasso Promislo SW’79, Philadelphia, April 12. Her husband is Daniel Promislo L’66.
Dr. Raymond S. Berkowitz. See Class of 1943.
Dr. Vincent J. Cristofalo, Narberth, Pa., professor emeritus of biochemistry in the School of Veterinary Medicine’s animal-biology department and creator and founding director of Penn’s Institute on Aging; May 8. He began his career at the Wistar Institute in 1963. He joined the School of Veterinary Medicine as assistant professor of biochemistry in 1967. Two years later he was promoted to associate professor; he became professor in 1974. In 1980 he was the founder and first director of Penn’s Institute on Aging. He retired from both Penn and Wistar in 1990. Throughout his career Dr. Cristofalo served as president of the Lankenau Institute for Medical Research. He was a professor of pathology and laboratory medicine and professor of biochemistry at Allegheny University of the Health Sciences, where he was also chief of gerontology. He served as vice provost for research at Medical College of Pennsylvania and Hahnemann University. And he was a former director of both the Allegheny Health, Education and Research Foundation’s Institute on Aging and the MCP Hahnemann School of Medicine. “Vince had a vision to bring multidisciplinary scientists and scholars in aging together to build a new and important field at Penn, and his legacy will live on with the current Institute on Aging,” said Dr. Neville E. Strumpf, the Edith Clemmer Steinbright Professor in Gerontology. Dr. Cristofalo was past president of the American Federation for Aging Research and The Gerontological Society of America. He was co-author of more than 230 peer-reviewed scientific papers and articles, as well as editor of numerous scientific books and book series. His honors include awards from the American Aging Association, the Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, the American Federation for Aging Research, the National Institute on Aging, and the Gerontological Society of America. His wife is Margaret F. Cristofalo OT’63 and three of his daughters are Dr. Elizabeth A. Cristofalo C’91 M’96, Carolyn R. Cristofalo SW’96, and Helen R. Cristofalo C’97.
Dr. Ralph O. Erickson, Haverford, Pa., professor emeritus of botany; March 24. Before coming to Penn he served as an assistant chemist for Western Cartridge Co. in Illinois, 1942-44, and as an instructor and assistant professor for the University of Rochester, 1944-47. Earlier he had been an instructor for his alma mater, Gustavus Adolphus College in Minnesota (1935-39). He began his career at Penn as a research associate in 1947. In 1949 he became associate professor of botany and was promoted to professor in 1954. He retired in 1985. Dr. Erickson was president of the Society for Study of Development and Growth, 1954-55; acting chair of the biology department, 1961-63; and chair of the graduate group in botany, 1957-66. He was a Guggenheim Fellow at the California Institute of Technology, 1954-55.
Isabel B. Ferguson. See Class of 1979.
James O. Freedman, Cambridge, Mass., former dean of the Law School (1979 -82) and former president of Dartmouth College; March 21. He began his career as an assistant professor at the Law School in 1964, after working as a law clerk for then U.S. Circuit Court Judge Thurgood Marshall. He served as both associate provost (1978) and ombudsman (1973-76)a new office, that he did much to defineand taught administrative law. He viewed his appointment as dean as an opportunity to bring interdisciplinary interests in the arts and sciences into the Law School. He expressed interest in both fundraising and the Biddle Library, successfully rousing both the alumni and board of overseers into beginning an active rejuvenation of the library. Michael A. Fitts, current dean of the Law School, called him “a passionate advocate for the fundamental values of a liberal education … a distinguished scholar of administrative law, an incisive teacher.” Dean Freedman was appointed president of the University of Iowa (1982-87). Notably, he served as president of Dartmouth College from 1987 to 1998; he oversaw the first major revision of its curriculum in 70 years and the doubling of the endowment (to $1.2 million). Known as a dynamic voice against prejudice and bigotry in academe, he condemned the student newspaper, the politically conservative Dartmouth Review, for ridiculing African Americans, Jews, women, and gays, and fought for an intimidation-free campus; by the late 1980s Dartmouth had more women professors than any other Ivy school. His scholarly interests in administrative law and higher education led to three books: Crisis and Legitimacy: The Administrative Process and the American Government (1978), Idealism and Liberal Education (1996), and Liberal Education and the Public Interest (2003). He had chaired the Pennsylvania Reapportionment Commission and served on Philadelphia’s Board of Ethics. A trustee of Brandeis University, he served on the boards of the American Jewish Committee and Hebrew Union College. He was president of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2000 and 2001. Alan Dershowitz, professor of law at Harvard University, told The Philadelphia Inquirer, “Jim was the wisest person I ever met. He absorbed knowledge and turned it into wisdom. He had the rare combination of brilliance and goodness.” Dean Freedman was working on a memoir at the time of his death.
Dr. Joseph S. Gots. See Class of 1941.
Dr. Leigh Lisker. See Class of 1941.
Dr. Robert E. A. Palmer, Haverford, Pa., professor emeritus of classical studies; March 11. He began his teaching career at the University of Illinois. He joined the Penn faculty in 1961 as an assistant professor of classical studies. He was promoted to associate professor in 1966 and to professor in 1970. He retired in 1996, after teaching at Penn for 35 years. He served as graduate chair in ancient history (1966-67) and in classical studies (1968-72). He chaired the department from 1973 to 1980. An historian of ancient Rome, Dr. Palmer wrote five books, including The Archaic Community of the Romans (1970), Roman Religion and Roman Empire (1974), and Rome and Carthage at Peace (1997). He was especially interested in the history of the city of Rome itself, specifically its local neighborhoods. During the 1950s he served in the U.S. Army and was stationed in Germany. Despite having a Ph.D., he was made a cook, according to his sister, Victoria. He later displayed his Army quartermaster’s certificate in his kitchen and “cooked for 100 even when there were five for dinner,” she told The Philadelphia Inquirer. “There were always leftovers.”
Dr. Richard K. Root, Seattle, a former associate professor of medicine who co-founded the infectious-disease division at the School of Medicine; March 19. He came to Penn in 1971 as assistant professor of medicine. He was promoted to associate professor in 1973. While at Penn he co-founded the infectious-disease division with Dr. Rob Roy MacGregor. Dr. Root also served as chair of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, and as a senior investigator at the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. He was a former chief of the department of infectious diseases at Yale University’s School of Medicine. Most recently he was a professor and vice chair of medicine at the University of Washington and chief of medical services there; he had held emeritus status since 2002. At the time of his death he was on a two-month assignment with the Penn Medicine Program in Botswana, where he taught at the Princess Marina Hospital in Gaborone and provided medical care for people with HIV. “Dick was there working in our program and having a spectacular time,” said Dr. Stephen J. Gluckman GM’76, medical director of the program. “This was a perfect fit for someone who enjoys a stethoscope: There is a lot of bedside teaching and a lot of very sick patients.” While touring the Tuli Nature Reserve, in a dugout canoe on the Limpopo River, Dr. Root was killed when a crocodile attacked, pulling him from the vessel and underwater.
Dr. William Zucker, Philadelphia, the Meshulam Riklis Professor Emeritus of Creative Management at the Wharton School and the founder and a former director of the Zell-Lurie Real Estate Center; May 13. Before coming to Penn he was secretary of the Commerce and Industry Association of New York, 1944-59, and vice president of the Lower Manhattan Association, 1959-64. From 1964 to 1973 he was president of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Economic Development Corp., in Philadelphia. An adjunct professor at the Wharton School, 1972-83, he was also associate director of the Entrepreneurial Center, 1973-83. He was director of executive education at Wharton, 1977-83. He set up and was co-director (1983-88) of the Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center: It was the first center devoted to real estate in a major business school in the U.S., and the resulting major was widely recognized as the country’s finest MBA program in real estate. In 1983 he was appointed to the Riklis chair, earning emeritus status in 1988. Dr. Zucker’s classes, particularly Entrepreneurial Decision-Making and Land Development, focused on real-life case studies that were co-taught with industry leaders. Another class, Entrepreneurial Inner-City Housing Markets, was first taught at Wharton and then at Penn Design. Combining the academic theory and practical work, students were responsible for guiding a project through all aspects of renovation; over the years seven properties were restored and sold to first-time homeowners. Robert Alig C’84 WG’87, assistant vice president of alumni relations at the University, said, “Bill Zucker was my all-time favorite teacher at Wharton. I invited him and his wife, Kath, to my home for dinner just after I graduated. They stayed until the wee hours of the morning: I was the one who was tired.” Dr. Zucker was a visiting professor of real estate at Columbia University’s School of Business (1987-93), and a former editor of the Real Estate Finance Journal. Two of his children are David L. Zucker WG’90 and Jeremy M. Zucker WG’81, whose wife is Blair C. Stone L’86.