????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????


Sept|Oct 2008

1910

1921

1923

1924

1925

1926

1927

1928

1929

1930

1931

1932

1933

1934

1935

1936

1937

1938

1939

1940

1941

1942

1943

1944

1945

1946

1947

1948

1949

1950

1951

1952

1953

1954

1955

1956

1957

1958

1959

1960

1961

1962

1963

1964

 

 

1965

1966

1967

1968

1969

1970

1971

1972

1973

1974

1975

1976

1977

1978

1979

1980

1981

1982

1983

1984

1985

1986

1987

1988

1989

1990

1991

1992

1993

1994

1995

1996

1997

1998

1999

2000

2001

2002

2003

2004

2005

2006

Faculty & Staff

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1931 | Abner N. Adler C’31, Jupiter, Fla., April 21. At Penn he was a member of Tau Delta Phi fraternity. He had worked for the family business, Adler & Dobkin, a cigar-wrap tobacco firm in Manchester, Conn.


back to top

1932 | Dr. Charles B. Keil D’32, Stowe, Vt., a dentist who maintained a practice in Philadelphia for 55 years; May 2. Following his retirement in 1979, he took up both silversmithing and scrimshaw; his work was exhibited in the Philadelphia Museum of Art. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army and was discharged as a major.

Alice Rush Levy Ed’32, New York, April 17.


back to top

1933 | Hugh W. Bellas ChE’33, Raymore, Mo., a nuclear engineer for the DuPont Co. in Wilmington, Del., where he had worked for 44 years; March. He was also supervisor for the Savannah River Plant in Georgia. During World War II he was part of the Manhattan Project, based at the University of Chicago.


back to top

1936 | J. Fred Beckett Jr. W’36, Fall River, Mass., April 16. He was the owner and operator of J. Fred Beckett Real Estate for many years before joining Slades Real Estate for the last 10 years of his career. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army and received the American Theater Service and the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medals.

James Gurley W’36, Bessemer, Ala., the retired owner and operator of a Pittsburgh insurance firm, Gurley and Associates, Inc.; April 21. He remained active in his class reunions at Wharton. During World War II he served the U.S. Army’s 37th Ordnance Company in the South Pacific.


back to top

1937 | Deborah Samuels Freiberg CW’37, Sonoma, Calif., a retired clinical social worker who had worked for family agencies in New York, Los Angeles, and Sonoma; April 19. She specialized in foster homes, adoptions, and assisting unwed teenage mothers.

Walter B. Gallagher Sr. W’37, Audubon, Pa., the retired owner and operator of Gallagher Fluid Seals, Inc., a company he founded in 1956; May 5. Earlier he had worked for PECO and Green, Tweed & Co. During World War II he served in the U.S. Coast Guard aboard the cutter U.S.S. Sweetgum, in Florida and Panama. At Penn he was a member of the Mask & Wig Club, Alpha Chi Rho fraternity, and the varsity band. He remained active in Penn activities, including serving as Vice President of his class. R. Greer Cheeseman III EE’77, current director of the Penn band, recalled him as “that cool old dude from the Class of 1937 who would  strap on a snare drum to play ‘Men of Pennsylvania’ at Penn Reunions whenever the Old Guard was around. He was a great friend of the band, and we’ll miss him. His family requested the band to play ‘Highball’ at the funeral. Now—this was in the midst of Finals—but I’m proud to say that the band was represented by 15 hardy souls who braved the rain to come out to pay tribute to Walt. I thought it fitting to also honor Walt with our own version of the military’s Missing Man Formation: We played ‘Highball’ at the gravesite, but with a lone snare drum physically there but not played. And when others placed a flower on the casket, I placed a drum stick; I think Walt would have appreciated that.” A scholarship fund in his name has been set up at the University. His Penn family includes his brother, T. Stanley Gallagher Jr. W’32, who died in 2001; his daughter-in-law, Kathleen E. V. Gallagher GNu’80; and several nieces and nephews.


back to top

1939 | Silva Moskovitz Feldman CW’39, Chevy Chase, Md., Oct. 7, 2007. Her son is James A. Feldman C’72, whose wife is Natalie Lewis Wexler L’83. A nephew is Anthony R. Lipkin W’50.

Morton R. Levy W’39, Allentown, Pa., retired president of Morley Sportswear, Inc., Strongwear Pants Co., Inc., Strongwear Slacks, Inc., and Astro Apparel, Inc.; April 30. At Penn he was a member of the football and boxing teams, and Tau Epsilon Phi fraternity, which he later served as chancellor. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army and received a Bronze Star, World War II Victory Medal, and the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with four battle stars. His wife, Myra Demchick Levy CW’42, died in 2003 (www.upenn.edu/gazette/1103/1103obits). Their children are Judi Levy Cohen-Roberts CW’68 and Richard J. Levy C’71.


back to top

1940 | Howard E. Kirk WEv’40 CCC’54, Ambler, Pa., May 1.

Norman E. Lippman C’40, Boynton Beach, Fla., Jan. 31. At Penn he was a former president of his fraternity, Kappa Nu, and president of the inter-fraternity council. According to his family, “He loved Penn until his dying day. He kept his 1940 Penn Record updated as he heard any news—good or bad—about his former classmates. He wore his college ring every day of his life until the images of the quad on the sides of the ring were worn smooth. He passed that ring onto his grandson, Daniel J. Leibovitz C’96. With the exception of the war years, when he served in Okinawa, he attended every single alumni weekend up to his 60th. He met Sheldon Ellowich in Rodney Hall on the very first day of school and they remained lifelong friends until Sheldon’s death a few years ago.” Norman’s daughter is Joanne Lippman Leibovitz CW’69, Dan’s mother.

Herbert S. Valentine W’40, Colorado Springs, Colo., the retired co-founder and longtime operator of Valentine-Radford Advertising; May 5. He made headlines at an early age, as he was born on Valentine’s Day in 1920, which was recorded by Ripley’s Believe It
or Not.
During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps, where he participated in the breakout in Normandy and the liberation of France and Belgium, attaining the rank of major.


back to top

1941 | Ruth Sheldon Cone GEd’41, Ukiah, Calif., April 11. She taught business classes at Lee High School in Springfield, Va. From 1965 to 1970 she served as a diplomat’s wife, while her husband headed the U.S. Naval Mission to Peru.

Dr. R. Laird Harris G’41, Quarryville, Pa., a founding faculty member of the Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, Mo., and dean of the seminary, 1964-71; April 25. He taught in the Old Testament Department from the school’s founding in 1956 until his retirement in 1981. He wrote several books on theology, including Inspiration and Canonicity of the Bible.

Dr. Richard S. Heisler Ed’41 GEd’44 GrEd’61, New Britain, Pa., a retired lecturer in the University’s Graduate School of Education; April 24. During his more than 25-year-career at Penn, he held various positions, including serving as an assistant to the dean, business manager, and research associate. He also held positions in the Center for Field Studies, before his retirement in 1984. Previously he had taught science for 10 years at Souderton High School. He co-wrote several books with emeritus professor and former director of the Center for Field Studies, Dr. William B. Castetter Gr’48.

Dr. June F. Klinghoffer CW’41, Merion, a teacher at the former Women’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (now Drexel University College of Medicine) for 50 years, until her retirement in 2000; May 3. At Penn she was one of three women in the pre-med program. A specialist in rheumatology, she received the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching and was honored with a chair of medicine established in her name at the medical college. Her son is Dr. Robert K. Wenger C’79.

William James Reider W’41, Lincoln, Mass., the retired president of George T. Johnson Co., an industrial cleaning products distributor; March 8. He was also co-founder of the SSS Organization, a national franchise for cleaning equipment and heavy-duty cleaning machines. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.

Dr. Lester G. Steppacher C’41 M’44 GM’48, Philadelphia, May 14.

Jerome S. Weiman C’41, Cherry Hill, N.J., Jan. 16. He attended Penn on a Mayor’s scholarship. After a career in promotion and sales with the pharmaceutical industry, he co-founded in 1967, with his brother, the late Dr. Ralph Weiman C’36 GEd’40, Norwood Editions, an academic publishing house specializing in the reissue of rare and out-of-print titles in literature, folklore, and the humanities. They also developed original works, notably the Norwood Kibbutz Series, an extensive collection devoted to the sociological study of the Israeli kibbutz. During World War II he was a pharmacist’s mate in the U.S. Coast Guard, and he served in the merchant marine for several years thereafter. Jerry’s Penn family includes his father, the late Dr. Maurice Weiman D’1903, and his children, Mark B. Weiman C’72 and Paula Weiman Kelman C’76 GEd’76.


back to top

1942 | B. Franklin James W’42, Murrysville, Pa., a retired accountant for U.S. Steel, where he had worked for 32 years; April 8. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.

Dr. Irving Koppel D’42, Monroe Township, N.J., a dentist who maintained a practice in Port Richmond, N.Y., from the 1940s until his retirement in 1986; April 3. During World War II he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

Harry W. Siefert WEv’42, Chapel Hill, N.C., a director and senior vice president of finance at The Liggett Group, until his retirement in 1982; April 20.

James L. Spangler W’42, Tucson, Ariz., the owner of Arizona Neon Advertising, which he operated with his brother Reuben for nearly 40 years, until his retirement in 1985; May 13. At Penn he was a member of the crew team and Phi Psi fraternity, in which he maintained a lifelong interest. During World War II he was a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Corps.

George Irvin Tyndall WEv’42, Lansdale, Pa., April 11.

John M. Whittock Jr. G’42, Accomac, Va., former director of the Leon Levy Library at the School of Dental Medicine and former director of Penn’s Thomas W. Evans Museum and Dental Institute; Nov. 16. He served in both posts from 1965 to 1987. From 1950 to 1965 he was the assistant librarian at the Welch Medical Library of Johns Hopkins University. During World War II he was a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Reserve, stationed at Penn. His son is Upshur T.C. Whittock C’92.


back to top

1943 | Dr. Samuel W. Bloom C’43, New York, retired professor of community and preventive medicine and a founding member of the faculty of Mount Sinai School of Medicine; Dec. 20, 2006. He joined Mount Sinai in 1968 and served as director of the Division of Behavioral Sciences during his 38-year tenure there. His research, which focused on the sociology of medical education and the social psychology of the doctor-patient relationship, resulted in a landmark book, The Word as Scalpel: A History of Medical Sociology. Published by Oxford University Press in 2002, it was awarded the American Sociological Association’s book prize.

M. Stuart Goldin C’43 L’49, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., an attorney with the firm of Cozen O’Connor, from which he retired in 1999; March 26. At Penn he was editor of the law review. He wrote numerous articles on insurance law and a textbook, Law of Insurance in Pennsylvania. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army with an armored division and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. A daughter is Cynthia Goldin Lavenda CW’76.

Hon. Martin L. Haines II L’43, Moorestown, N.J., a New Jersey Superior Court judge who served 12 years and published 164 decisions, before retiring in 1990; April 27. He also served as Burlington County’s assignment judge, 1981-90. As an attorney in 1966, he challenged the system of assigning lawyers to defend indigent clients without pay, which set in motion the legislation for the Office of Public Defender. A U.S. Naval lieutenant during World War II, he survived the sinking of two ships.

Jay I. Norek W’43, Mamaroneck, N.Y., a pioneer in the recreation industry who operated indoor tennis facilities and health clubs and was a founder of the New England Tennis Camps; May 18. During World War II he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, serving aboard the destroyer U.S.S. Betelgeuse in both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters.


back to top

1944 | Robert C. Fernley W’44, Blue Bell, Pa., company chair of Fernley & Fernley, until his retirement in 1989; May 8. The family firm provides operational and management services to trade associations, professional societies, cultural alliances, and foundations. During World War II he served in the Army of the States with the 144th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop.

Anita Halpern Rosenau CW’44, Snowmass Village, Colo., a poet and playwright; April 20. One of her plays, “Guinevere,” became the libretto for an opera, a portion of which was performed at the Wheeler Opera House in Aspen, at New York’s Lincoln Center, and at the Dubrovnic Music Festival.


back to top

1945 | Shirley Hirst Dierolf GEd’45, Moon Township, Pa., a teacher of biology at Cedar Crest College from 1966 to 1986; March 25.

Robert V. Donato GEd’45, Swarthmore, Pa., April 27.

Dr. Harold D. Toubman C’45 D’50, West Hartford, Conn., a retired dentist who had maintained a practice in Newington and was head of the dental clinic at The Institute for Living in Hartford; May 5. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in Europe, receiving two Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart.


back to top

1946 | Charlotte A. Castle GEd’46, Lansdale, Pa., a former teacher in the Lower Merion School District; March 25.

Emily C. Ragnelli DiRenza WG’46, Narvon, Pa., a former comptroller; April 4. She retired from Chester County Psychiatric Group in 1989, having previously worked at Temple University Medical School for 15 years, St. Vincent’s Hospital in New York, and the former Women’s Hospital in Philadelphia.

Martin J. Grace W’46, Worcester, Mass., the retired owner of several businesses; May 6. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.

Dr. Francis W. Pedrotty Jr. C’46, Yardley, Pa., chair of the surgery department of Nazareth Hospital, 1981-91; April 24. He played varsity basketball, was captain of the tennis team, and was president of his fraternity, Psi Upsilon Tau. He joined the staff of Nazareth in 1961 and, after retiring in 1991, worked in the hospital’s emergency room until 1996. He had served in the U.S. Army for 10 years, in Texas and in Japan.

Dr. William C. Stewart M’46, Grand Rapids, Mich., a retired pediatrician and specialist in neonatology who started neonatal units at hospitals in Kalamazoo, Mich., and Wilmington, N.C.; May 15. The last years of his practice were devoted to developmental pediatrics, especially attention deficit disorder and other neurobehavioral challenges. He had served in the U.S. Army as a flight surgeon during the 1940s.


back to top

1947 | Doris Dannenhirsch Beshunsky Ed’47 GEd’48, Philadelphia, former coach of the Pennguinettes; March 30. As a student at Penn she organized in 1946 the Pennguinettes, a synchronized swimming team with eight female students who swam once a year to entertain visitors to campus on High School Day. In 1953 it became an official athletic society under the Women’s Physical Education Department and the Women’s Athletic Association, and had grown to 51 members. Remaining at Penn following graduation, she served as an instructor in the physical education department and later as coach of the Pennguinettes, before retiring in 1977. In 1989 she was inducted as an honorary friar in the Friars Senior Society of the University of Pennsylvania and in 2001, she was inducted to Penn’s Athletics Hall of Fame. She was also elected to the Rhode Island Aquatic Hall of Fame and the Pennsylvania Swimming Hall of Fame, and was the first woman inducted into the Rhode Island Jewish Athletic Hall of Fame. She was a member of the Philadelphia Board of Women’s Swimming Officials, 1955-61.

Dr. Anna Janney De Armond Gr’47, Hockessin, Del., a former professor at the University of Delaware, where she had taught for 41 years; March 26. She joined the faculty in 1935 and in 1961 became the first woman promoted to full professor there. She also spent several years teaching abroad, in Europe, Australia, and China, before retiring in 1975. She received Excellence in Teaching awards in 1954 and 1972.

Russell W. Krantz Jr. W’47, Lexington, S.C., a former regional sales manager at Riegel Paper Corp., and then a financial analyst at CONTEL and GTE Mobile; May 15. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Force as a radio operator, flying 58 missions over Burma, India, and China, for which he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

A. Barton Lewis WG’47, Radnor, Pa., the head of A. Barton Lewis & Co., a mortgage brokerage in Philadelphia, for 41 years, until his retirement in 2003; Marcy 5. He secured financing for many major East Coast construction and restoration projects, including Two Penn Center in Philadelphia, the Barbizon Hotel in New York, and Union Station in Washington.

Barbara Dickson Peterson CW’47, Hillsborough, Calif., April 29. At Penn she was a member of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority; she remained active in the San Mateo County Alumnae Chapter throughout her life.

Julius O. Reutemann Jr. W’47, Mars, Pa., April 3.

C. Brewster Rhoads Jr. C’47, Lower Gwynedd, Pa., a career-employee of Bell of Pennsylvania, where he worked in operations management and public affairs, until his retirement in 1979; May 27. At Penn he was a member of Delta Phi fraternity. During World War II he served with the U.S. 9th Air Force in the European Theater.


back to top

1948 | Thomas P. Loughran Sr. W’48, Drexel Hill, Pa., March 31.

John McQuale W’48, Coral Gables, Fla., a commercial pilot from 1949 until his retirement as a captain with Pan American World Airways in 1980; March 23. He had flown in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II and the Korean War.

Nathan I. Raiken W’48, Audubon, Pa., an attorney specializing in estate planning who maintained a practice in Kensington and then in Somerton, until his retirement in 1992; April 24. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army’s 36th Texas Infantry Division in Italy; while fighting in France he became a POW in Germany, 1944-45.


back to top

1949 | Richard G. Fish FA’49, Haverford, Pa., an artist who maintained a graphic-design studio in Ardmore for more than 50 years; May 25. His illustrations appeared in corporate publications for Volkswagen, Subaru, RCA, and Tiffany’s, as well as in magazines such as The Atlantic Monthly. Also a painter, he showed his work in Philadelphia galleries and was artist in residence at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, 1991 and 1992. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army, stateside.

Victoria F. Malinoski Ed’49, Shenandoah, Pa., a public health nurse who had worked for the United States Public Health Service; April 26, 2007. Following her retirement from USPHS, she was the home health nursing consultant for the State of Maryland and assisted in organizing the Maryland Association of Home Care, which established an award for outstanding leadership and service in her name. During World War II she was a flight nurse in the U.S. Army Air Corps.

Clara Metcalf Toms Park NTS’49 GNu’80, Lansdale, Pa., a psychiatric nurse at Norristown State Hospital for 22 years; April 2. Known as “Coo,” she helped found the Montgomery County branch of Compeer, a mental-health support organization.

Dr. William A. Pratt GM’49, Rutland, Vt., April 5. Having maintained a practice in internal medicine since 1949, he founded, in 1971, Associates in Internal Medicine, from which he retired in 1991. From 1950 until 1971 he was an instructor in clinical medicine at the University of Vermont College of Medicine. He served as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps, 1944-46, including time in the Philippine Islands.

Maxine Goldenberg Sablosky CW’49, Philadelphia, a former realtor who was an associate vice president of Jackson Cross Co. (later Fox & Roach and then Prudential Fox & Roach); May 18. Known as “Mickie,” she was named top producer several times, before retiring in 2007. Coming to real estate later in life, she had earlier worked in her family business, Taube, an imported lighting-fixture firm, until it closed in the 1980s. Her family include daughter Jill Sablosky GFA’79 and son Thomas A. Sablosky C’81.

Dr. Robert Schwartz D’49, Rahway, N.J., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Rahway for over 40 years; April 26. He was also a clinical professor at the University of Medicine and at the Dentistry Medical School of the New Jersey Medical School in Newark for more than 20 years.


back to top

1950 | Dr. Joel S. Cherashore C’50, Clifton, N.J., a longtime physician in Nutley, and a past president of the Clara Maass Medical Center; May 24.

Arthur B. Deneen Jr. WEv’50, Rutland, Vt., April 5.

Edward P. Marion Ed’50, Coatesville, Pa., April 28.

Alday Moore WEv’50, Quincy, Pa., a retired accountant with Lee Tire and Rubber Co.; March 27. During World War II he served as a tech sergeant in the U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps, 7th Armored Division.

Alfred W. Morse M’50, Kennett Square, Pa., a librarian at Temple University for 24 years, until his retirement in 1981; April 19. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army as a plainclothes intelligence officer in Hawaii and Japan, which led to his becoming an ardent Quaker activist for world peace.

Rear Adm. Charles W. Rixey WG’50, Alexandria, Va., a rear admiral who was vice commander of the U.S. Naval Supply Systems Command in Washington from 1976 until his retirement from the Navy in 1978; May 18. Known as “Woody” throughout his life, he had served in the Navy since 1944, as a radioman in both World War II and the Korean War and as a commander and supply-depot director in DaNang during the Vietnam War. He was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat V.

Dr. Leland M. Stetser GM’50,  Port St. Lucie, Fla., an obstetrician and gynecologist who had maintained a practice in Collingswood and then in Cherry Hill, N.J., for more than three decades; March 22. During World War II he served as a flight physician with the U.S. Eighth Army Air Corps in Europe and Africa.

Stewart R. Unkles ME’50, Penney Farms, Fla., March 22.


back to top

1951 | Walter E. Casebeer Jr. CCC’51, Audubon, N.J., May 5. He had worked for RCA in Moorestown and later operated Taylor Rental in Cross Keys. During World War II he served as a medic aboard the hospital ship U.S.S. Acadia.

Edward W. Irwin GEd’51, Coatesville, Pa., a teacher of instrumental music for 32 years; March 26. He had taught at Downingtown Junior and Senior High Schools and for the Brandywine Area School District, until his retirement in 1984. During World War II he was a dental prosthetic technician with the U.S. Army’s Third General Hospital Division.

Gaspare J. LaBella C’51, Norristown, Pa., April 3. Known as “Bud,” he was the retired chief physical therapist at the former Suburban General Hospital in East Norriton.

Dr. Joseph J. Lenczycki D’51, Wellesley, Mass., a dentist who maintained a practice in Darien, Conn., for nearly 40 years; May 18. He had served as an engineer and dentist in the U.S. Army, obtaining the rank of lieutenant; during the Korean War he was stationed in Greenland.

Dr. John H. Mudie WG’51, West Palm Beach, Fla., former senior vice president of the Government Development Bank for Puerto Rico; Feb. 14. He joined GDB in 1956 and retired in 1987. He served in the U.S. Army in Italy at the end of World War II; later he was a lieutenant in the Active Army Reserve until his discharge in 1957.

Dr. Mary Lois Murphy GM’51, New York, a pediatric oncologist and chair of the Department of Pediatrics at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1966-76; April 8. She conducted research at the center for four decades, until her retirement in 1992. Involved in the early development and testing of chemotherapy, especially for childhood cancer, she became an assistant professor of medicine at Cornell University in 1954 and was appointed professor there in 1970.

Robert I. Siver W’51, St. Petersburg, Fla., a retired insurance consultant who then served as president of the Academy of Senior Professionals at Eckerd College; April 26.

Hon. Albert R. Subers W’51 L’54, Lower Gwynedd, Pa., a retired Montgomery Countys Court judge; May 27. At Penn he was a member of Theta Xi fraternity, serving as treasurer and president, and participated in marching band and the lightweight crew squad. While at law school he was a member of the James Wilson Law Club. In 1975 he was a founding partner of the firm of Kane, Pugh, Anderson, Subers & McBrien in Norristown, and was a civil litigator and solicitor for several Montgomery County townships until his judicial appointment. He served on the Court of Common Pleas from 1983 to 1999 and retired as senior judge in 2005. At his death he was a civil-settlement master with the Montgomery County Court. His family include Dr. Emily M. Subers C’79.

Dr. Charlotte T.C. Tan GM’51, Hastings on Hudson, N.Y., vice chair for developmental therapeutics and member emeritus at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center; April 1. A pioneer in the field, she was the first to explore several cancer drugs to treat malignancies in children, and was also widely recognized for her important contributions in the treatment of children with Hodgkin’s Disease. She was also an associate professor of pediatrics at Cornell Medical College.


back to top

1952 | Warren C. Fesmire EE’52, Lansdale, Pa., March 28.

Dr. Howard R. Foster C’52, Fort Myers, Fla., a physician who maintained a practice in Woodbury Heights, N.J. for 14 years, and then founded Foster Radiology; May 2.

Dr. David B. Houston Jr. W’52 Gr’59, Churchill, Pa., a retired professor of economics at the University of Pittsburgh, where he had taught since the early 1960s; April 4. In the early 1970s he was a founder of Pitt’s Alternative Curriculum. Earlier he had taught at the Wharton School, UCLA, and Pennsylvania State University. A lifelong advocate for peace and social justice, he was an active protestor until 2005.

Aaron Marsh WG’52, Springfield, Mich., the manager, during the 1970s, of several U.S. cities, including Battle Creek; April 15. During World War II he served as a motor machinist’s mate in the U.S. Navy.

Dr. Seymour Piwoz C’52, Elkins Park, Pa., April 12.

Dr. Raymond J. Widman V’52, Martinsburg, Pa., a veterinarian who had worked with farm animals for 50 years, until his retirement in 2002; April 17. He had  worked with the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture and then in his own practice in Everett and Martinsburg. During World War II he served as a staff sergeant in the U.S. Army, for which he received the World War II Victory Medal. One of his sons is James L. Widmann V’08.


back to top

1953 | Dr. Miriam Molitch Kaye CW’53 M’57, Austin, Tex., a retired psychiatrist and neurologist; April 25. She initially practiced in South Orange, N.J., and, after 1975, became the first woman solo psychiatric practitioner in Austin. One of her sons is Robert Kaye W’87 and her brother is Dr. Mark Molitch M’69.

Carl R. McLean GEd’53, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., a retired professional musician and an instrumental-music teacher for the Norristown Area School District, as well as a conductor for the Lu Lu Shrine Concert Band; April 22. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army, surviving the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Dr. Richard J. Watkins M’53 GM’56, Wooster, Ohio, a retired orthopedic surgeon; March 30. He had served in the U.S. Army.


back to top

1954 | James M. Keating Jr. L’54, Neptune, N.J., former deputy attorney general for New Jersey; Dec. 11. Appointed to that position in 1977, he in 1987 was assigned to the Division of Criminal Justice, where he provided legal advice to law enforcement agencies and was counsel to the Police Training Commission.

Dr. Richard N. Matzen M’54, Pepper Pike, Ohio, Feb. 24.

H. Edward Waller W’54, Columbus, Ga., the retired executive vice president of David K. Burnap Advertising Agency, Inc., in Dayton, Ohio; April 11. At Penn he was a member of Sigma Nu fraternity.


back to top

1955 | Dr. Thomas B. Arnold M’55, Bloomington, Minn., a retired internist who had maintained a practice in Minneapolis since 1962; April 3. He served as a flight surgeon and pilot with the U.S. Air Force during the mid-1950s.

Dr. Sarle H. Cohen M’55, Wynnewood, Pa., a retired internist who later specialized in geriatrics; May 8. After maintaining an internal medicine practice in Philadelphia and Wynnefield Heights for more than 20 years, he became the first medical director at Martin’s Run, a retirement community in Media. He retired in 1998 as medical director of the life-care facility at Logan Square.

Clement A. Haas III WEv’55, Canaan, Conn., a personnel manager for Olivetti Underwood and later for Regal Corrugated Box Co. in Philadelphia, until his retirement in 1985; May 2. During World War II he was a paratrooper in the U.S. Army’s 82nd Airborne Division, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, fighting in North Africa and Europe. He helped liberate the Wobbelin concentration camp in Germany and earned a Bronze Star.

Melvin A. Heffler W’55, Philadelphia, a partner at the Philadelphia area accounting firm of Heffler, Radetich & Saitta; March 13. During the late 1960s he was one of the early auditors of Medicare for the federal government, according to his family. He served with the U.S. Army in Germany during the 1950s.

Michael Lipman W’55, Boca Raton, Fla., president of Jameco Industries for 40 years, until his retirement in the mid-1990s; April 12.

Dr. Donald M. Thomas M’55, Louisville, Ky., the former chief of emergency care at the old Louisville General Hospital, where he developed one of the first recognized departments of emergency medicine in the country; March 26. He served as fire surgeon for the city of Louisville for 29 years. He had served in the U.S. Air Force, stationed at Mitchel Field on Long Island, N.Y.


back to top

1956 | Robert K. Duffy L’56, Dublin, Pa., an attorney and partner with the Hatboro firm of Duffy, North, Wilson, Thomas and Nicholson; April 11.

Franklin S.D. Heiss Jr. EE’56, Englewood, Fla., April 20.

Martin B. Pitkow W’56 L’59, Philadelphia, May 27.

John J. F. Sherrerd WG’56, Bryn Mawr, Pa., co-founder of the investment firm Miller, Anderson & Sherrerd; April 9. The firm, which specialized in managing pension and endowment funds, was founded in 1969 and was sold to Morgan Stanley in 1996, with $35 billion in assets. His family includes Susan M. Sherrerd G’93 WG’93.


back to top

1957 | James R. Christofferon WG’57, Hendersonville, N.C., May 5. After working for Mobil Chemical Co. for 22 years, he went on to serve as treasurer of Westminster College in Pennsylvania for seven years and as treasurer of Allen Extruders, Inc., until his retirement in 1998.

Lyle E. Wimmergren WG’57, Paxton, Mass., emeritus professor in the Department of Management at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, from which he retired in 1995, after 25 years of service; April 15. He had served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War.


back to top

1958 | Charles J. Callaghan Jr. Ar’58, Keswick, Va., the retired head of facilities management at the University of Virginia, where he had worked for 14 years; April 10. At Penn he was a member of the Men’s Glee Club.

Margaret Hedges GEd’58, Mechanicsburg, Pa., a teacher of ninth-grade English in Upper Darby for 37 years; April 10.

James F. Levy W’58, Des Moines, Iowa, a real-estate developer who  co-founded the firms of Levy, Malone and Company and Newbury Development Company; March 25. He developed conventional  housing and affordable housing for low-income and senior-citizen residents throughout Iowa, including assisted living arrangements.


back to top

1959 | Dr. Edwin Hendler Gr’59, Cherry Hill, N.J., March 30.

Dr. James C. Thompson GM’59, Galveston, Tex., the Ashbel Smith Professor Emeritus of Surgery, Physiology, and Biophysics at the University of Texas Medical Branch; May 13. He was active with the American Geriatrics Society’s Geriatrics-for-Specialists Initiative.


back to top

1960 | Thomas E. Byrne C’60, Gladwyne, Pa., an attorney with the Philadelphia law firm of Post & Schell, until his retirement in 1987; March 16. While with the firm he opened its Lancaster office. He had served as a medic in the U.S. Army Reserve.

S. Jonathan Bugbee Jr. GAr’60, Ardmore, Pa., a retired architect who had worked for Vincent Kling and, most recently, for Bower Lewis Thrower; March 23.

Marcia Kaminker Krosner Ed’60, Raleigh, N.C., a former adjunct professor of English at Rockford College and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga; March 29.

Dr. John S. Leigh EE’60 Gr’71, Philadelphia, the Britton Chance Professor of Radiology at the University’s School of Medicine; March 10. While a student at Penn he was a defensive lineman on the varsity football team. Appointed to the faculty in 1971, he also held a secondary appointment in the department of biochemistry and biophysics. Known as an innovator in research related to magnetic resonance and optical technologies, he was instrumental in the founding of Penn’s Metabolic Magnetic Resonance Research and Computing Center in 1984, and served as its director for almost 25 years. In addition to receiving several National Institute of Health fellowships, Dr. Leigh was a Guggenheim Fellow at Cambridge University, 1974-75, and, in 1999, was inducted as a fellow into the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine.

John M. Spence III SW’60, Chestertown, Md., emeritus professor at the University of South Carolina College of Social Work, where he had taught for 22 years; March 29.


back to top

1961 | James F. Monteith L’61, Philadelphia, an attorney who practiced with the Dilworth Paxson law firm; April 27.

John T. Rich WEv’61, Drexel Hill, Pa., a coordinator for Sun Oil Co., for 31 years, until his retirement in 1987; May 2. During the Korean War he was a sergeant in the U.S. Army, serving in Korea.

Clark R. Smith W’61, Wenham, Mass., an attorney for 40 years; Aug. 27, 2007. Beginning his career with The Liberty Mutual Insurance Co., he went on to McEvoy and McEvoy before establishing his own practice.


back to top

1962 | Dr. Joseph W. Ciccarelli Jr. C’62 V’66, Carver, Mass., owner and operator of the Ashdod Animal Hospital in Duxbury from 1971 until 2003; April 12. At his death he was working part-time at the Bristol County Animal Clinic in Raynham.


back to top

1963 | Richard N. Shollenberger EE’63, Dunedin, Fla., April 12. He had worked for the Hamilton Watch Co., IBM, Charming Shoppes, Digital Equipment Corp., and Compaq, before retiring from Hewlett-Packard in 2006.

Dr. Carol A. Spector CW’63, Philadelphia, a psychologist who maintained a practice in Cherry Hill, N.J.; April 17. She was a former clinical director of the Jewish Family and Children’s Services of South Jersey for over 20 years.


back to top

1965 | Dr. Jerome H. Grossman M’65, Boston, April 1. He was director of the Health Care Delivery Program at the Kennedy School of Harvard University, past chair and CEO of New England Medical Center, and past chair of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.

Koon Kang G’65, Bensalem, Pa., a mainframe system engineer for Conrail for 16 years, beginning in 1968; April 28. He taught modern algebra at Penn, 1966-68, and coached the Penn Go team.

Rear Adm. Mary J. Nielubowicz GNu’65, Fairfax, Va., a rear admiral who was director of the U.S. Navy Nurse Corps, which she led from 1983 until her retirement in 1987; March 24. During her 36-year career with the Navy, she became the sixth woman in Navy history to achieve the rank of admiral. In addition to her Nurse Corps duties, she became deputy commander for Health Care Operations in 1984, the first non-physician to hold the job. Her military decorations included two awards of the Legion of Merit, two Meritorious Service Medals, and three Navy Commendation Medals. Her portrait hangs at Penn’s School of Nursing.


back to top

1966 | Dr. William J. Lynch Sr. Gr’66, Ambler, Pa., retired chair of the English Department at Montgomery County Community College; March 31. He joined the faculty there at its inception in 1964 and retired in 1992. Recently he contributed essays to the anthology Three Plays by George Kelly (Limelight Editions).

David A. Pardoe Jr. C’66, Toronto, Ontario, an educator with the Canadian Red Cross in Toronto, Vancouver, and Ottawa; April 12. His work included serving on the International Campaign to Ban Land Mines. Earlier he had been a Peace Corps volunteer in Niger.


back to top

1967 | Jane Dice Stoner GEd’67, Chambersburg, Pa., a teacher of reading and English at James Buchanan Middle School and Senior English at James Buchanan High School, both in Mercersburg, from 1959 until her retirement in 1979; May 5.


back to top

1968 | Bobbye J. Burke CGS’68 G’71, Philadelphia, an art history teacher at the Community College of Philadelphia for 17 years, until her retirement in 1989; April 18. Also an urban activist, she was the first woman to be elected president of the Center City Residents’ Association in Philadelphia. Her activities included the planting of hundreds of trees in the city and lobbying to establish the Albert M. Greenfield School on Chestnut Street. She co-wrote In Historic Rittenhouse: A Philadelphia Neighborhood, published in 1985.

Joel H. Levitt C’68, Melrose Park, Pa., the founder, in 1990, of Action Duplication, Inc., a manufacturer of DVDs, compact discs, and high-speed VHS duplication; April 26. Earlier he had worked for Channel 17 television in Philadelphia for 25 years. His family includes Dr. Jerry D. Levitt C’62 M’66 GM’72 and Dr. Richard E. Levitt C’68 D’72 GD’77.

Dr. Kenton S. Stokes V’68, West Chester, Pa., founder and operator of the Westtown Veterinary Clinic, which he established 35 years ago; April 23. He had served as president of Penn’s School of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Association and was on the planning committee for his 40th class reunion. He was president of the Pennsylvania Veterinary Medical Association. During the Vietnam War he served in the U.S. Army, including a tour of duty in Vietnam. One of his daughters is Ashlee Stokes Goodman C’94.


back to top

1969 | James G. Andress WG’69, Lake Forest, Ill., a pharmaceutical executive who ended his career as chair and CEO of Warner Chilcott in New Jersey, until his retirement in 2000; March 11. During the Vietnam War he was a U.S. Army captain of C Company of the 1st Battalion, 5th Infantry regiment, one of the few mechanized units to serve in the jungle, which earned him a Presidential Unit Citation and Valorous Unit Award. He also received a Bronze Star.

Domenic M. Petrocelli WEv’69, Lansdowne, Pa., a personnel specialist who had worked with Ford Motor Co., Boeing Co., and then for Delaware County, until his retirement in 1988; May 11. Also a band leader, he headed a succession of Philadelphia area groups, including the Classiques, the Chord-Aires, and the Musictones. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in Europe.

Arline Davis Silverman CW’69, Cleveland, March.


back to top

1970 | Harriet Hankin Schoonmaker CW’70, Wayne, Pa., national director of business development for the North American Employee Benefit Practice; April 4. In 2005 she sold the firm CGI Consulting Group, Inc., of which she was president and owner, to the Willis Group. She wrote The New Workforce. Her brother is Arthur W. Hankin L’68.


back to top

1971 | Dr. Zvi Adar Gr’71, Jaffa, Israel, a faculty member at the Recanati School of Business at Tel Aviv University; Dec. 20, 2006. He was instrumental in developing its health-management program.


back to top

1973 | Anthony J. Serano WEv’73, Woodbury, N.J., a purchasing agent for First Pennsylvania Bank for 32 years, and then for Independence Blue Cross, until his retirement; Jan. 17. He had served in the U.S. Army.

Marie Stader Sloan NTS’73, Paoli, Pa., May 26.


back to top

1978 | Lawrence N. Gang L’78, Longmont, Colo., an attorney for Vail Resorts; July 6, 2007.

Dr. Patricia Kordek Maud M’78, Villanova, Pa, a former family physician; May 5. During the 1980s and 1990s she practiced at the St. David’s Health Center in St. David’s, the Urgent Care Center in Havertown, and the Goshen Family Practice in West Chester.


back to top

1980 | Dr. Jonathan A. Ship C’80 D’84, Briarcliff Manor, N.Y., a professor of oral and maxillofacial pathology at the New York University College of Dentistry, and director of NYU’s Bluestone Center for Clinical Research; April 22. Mike Forman W’79, his roommate at Penn, remembered Jon as “the hardest working undergraduate I met in my four years at Penn.”


back to top

1981 | Dr. Richard J. Kern C’81, Nashua, N. H., May 23.


back to top

1988 | Sharon Doyle Gallagher C’88, Norwell, Mass., April 14. At Penn she was captain of the swim team. In recent years she was an advocate for cancer research, raising tens of thousands of dollars through fundraising events.

Patrick J. Purcell WG’88, Duxbury, Mass., Feb. 5.


back to top

1991 | Margaret Hagans Smith Gr’91, Wilmington, Del., director of human resources for Information Systems & Computing; Dec. 1. She began her career as a business manager at Temple University in 1986. After joining Penn in 1990, she held a number of positions in Business and Finance before serving as director of finance & administration for ISC, 1997-8. She became director of human resources in 1998. In 1994 she was one of the first recipients of the University’s Women of Color Faculty & Staff Award. A former treasurer of the Penn Professional Women’s Network, she served on numerous boards, including the Domestic Abuse Project and Penn VIPS scholarships.


back to top

1996 | Dr. Alexander E. Farrell Gr’96, Berkeley, Calif., an associate professor in the energy and resources group at the University of California, Berkeley; April 1. He joined the faculty in 2003 and became director of the Transportation Sustainability Research Center there in 2006. A leading expert on transportation fuels and the role of transportation in climate change, he served on advisory committees for the National Academy of Engineering and the National Science Foundation. He was a co-author of a 2007 state study regarding the use of lower-emission fuels.


back to top

Faculty and Staff

Doris Dannenhirsch Beshunsky. See Class of 1947.

Dr. Richard A. Brunner. See Class of 1942.

Dr. David Cass, Philadelphia, the Paul F. and E. Warren Shafer Miller Professor of Economics; April 15. Before coming to Penn he was a member of the economics department and the Cowles Foundation at Yale University, 1965-70, and also served on the faculty at Carnegie Mellon University, 1970-74. He had been at Penn since 1974, and was named the Paul F. and E. Warren Shafer Miller Professor of Economics in 1988. He also was a visiting scholar at numerous organizations and universities in Europe, including the University of Geneva, from which he received an honorary doctorate in economic science in 1994. He made singular contributions to economic theory, including the introduction of the Cass-Koopmans growth model, and the discovery of the Cass criterion for Pareto efficiency in overlapping generations models. With Karl Shell he discovered the importance of extrinsic uncertainty (sunspots) in economic dynamics. Dr. Cass received many honors, including being named a Distinguished Fellow of the American Economic Association in 1999 and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2003. He served as editor for numerous economic journals and wrote articles and books, including The Hamiltonian Approach to Economic Dynamics. At the time of his death, he was serving as director of the Center for Analytic Research in Economics and the Social Sciences (CARESS). He had spent much of this spring organizing the 4th Annual CARESS-Cowles Conference on Equilibrium Theory and Its Applications, which was held at Penn in April. The economics department is establishing a fund in his memory to benefit graduate education. His son is Stephen A. Cass C’85.

Dr. Richard S. Heisler. See Class of 1941.

Dr. David B. Houston Jr. See Class of 1952.

Koon Kang. See Class of 1965.

Dr. John S. Leigh. See Class of 1960.

Dr. Monica Reynolds, Kennett Square, a professor of physiology at the School of Veterinary Medicine from 1949 to 1979; April 19. For many years she was a pathologist at the New Bolton Center. A student scholarship in her name has been started at the School of Veterinary Medicine.

Peter J. Schmeidler, Delran, N.J., senior fellow at the Wharton Risk Management & Decision Processes Center; April 14. Working with the Risk Center since 2001, he actively researched the role of ISO 14001 in reducing and managing environmental risks and the role of third-party inspections for improving food safety. He was also the editor of The Wharton Risk Management Review. He was retired from the Rohm and Haas Co., where he had worked for 40 years.

Margaret Hagans Smith. See Class of 1991.

John M. Whittock Jr. See Class of 1942.


back to top


Profiles : Events : Notes : Obituaries



Sept|Oct 08 Contents
Gazette Home
Previous issue’s section

NOTIFICATIONS
Please send notifications of deaths of alumni directly to: Alumni Records, University of Pennsylvania3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
<record@ben.dev.upenn.edu>
Newspaper obits are appreciated.

©2008 The Pennsylvania Gazette
Last modified 08/25/08