../1198/space%20holder


Previous issue's obituaries | Nov/Dec Contents | Gazette home


../1198/Obituaries%20overline

The Old Guard | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s | 1950s | 1960s 1970s | 1980s | 1990s

Faculty and Staff

 

1920s

Benjamin C. Koch ChE’24, Kensington, Md., Nov. 1999.

Helen Leslie Derby DH’27, Summit Hill, Pa., a retired dental hygienist for the local school district; July 16.

Frank H. Patterson C’27, Philadelphia.

Marjorie Carson Beal FA’28, Littleton, Mass.; Aug. 8. She was the librarian at the public library in Narberth, Pa., for many years.

Dorothy Lichtig Pearl Ed’28, Washington.

Catherine T. Shulenberger G’28, Scranton, Pa., retired head reference librarian at the James V. Brown Library in Williamsport; June 23. A volunteer at the Anthracite Heritage Museum in Scranton, she established its library.

Stanwood C. Sweetser W’28, Wakefield, Mass., retired owner of Elhide Co., a building-supply wholesaler in Somerville; Aug. 27.

William B. Arnold L’29, Lancaster, Pa., a retired attorney who had served as the city’s first assistant solicitor, and as solicitor for a number of nearby boroughs and school districts; July 7.

Stella Tabibian Hatch Ed’29, Newton, Pa., Jan. 30.

back to top

1930s

Noble Hall W’30, Wyndmoor, Pa., Oct. 26, 1997.

Nelson E. Lukemire W’30, Baltimore.

Samuel Stonberg W’30, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., Nov. 28, 1999.

Dr. Paul M. Duncan C’31 G’33, Rydal, Pa., May 3, 1999.

Josephine Stein Hetsko WEF’31, Allendale, N.J., a retired teacher in the Ridgewood public schools; Aug. 8. She was the first woman to run for Ridgewood village commissioner.

Dr. Herbert E. Jones C’31, Elizabeth, N.J., a retired surgeon who had served as senior attending physician at Elizabeth General Medical Center for almost 60 years; Aug. 10.

Herman M. Barenbaum W’32 L’35, Fort Myers, Fla., June 21.

Bernard J. Grad Ar’32, Elberon, N.J., retired head of The Grad Partnership, his family’s architectural firm in Newark; Aug. 4. He wrote Adventure into Architecture (1968).

Aaron A. Robinson W’32, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., a retired commercial real estate broker; July 24. He was a past president of the East Montgomery County Board of Realtors. And he served on the Valley Forge Park Commission.

Arthur L. Abrams WEF’33, Scranton, Pa., April 27, 1999.

Dr. Morton S. Beck C’33 M’37, Philadelphia, a retired physician; March 27.

Millard F. Sloan Jr. CE’33 GCE’34, Sarasota, Fla., a retired marketing vice president with Gulf Oil in Memphis, Tenn.; Aug. 24.

Frances Q. Stuebner Ed’33, Wilmette, Ill., April 26.

Cornelius V. R. Bogert Jr. Ar’34, Stow, Ohio, a retired architect who had designed the Children’s World Pavilion at the 1939-40 World’s Fair in New York; July 1.

Otto Gardner C’34, Abington, Pa., May 17.

Alan Randall W’34, Rotunda West, Fla., retired head of a food brokerage in Landover, Md.; July 13. He was a past president of the Washington Food Brokers Association.

Dr. H. Baldwin Streett D’34, Towson, Md., a retired dentist who had served on the staff of the Johns Hopkins University Hospital and who was president of the Baltimore City Dental Society in the 1950s; June 30.

Mae Langberg Feldman Ed’35, Bronx, N.Y., Nov. 8, 1999.

Elizabeth B. Lee Ed’35, Staunton, Va., June 28.

Col. Frank R. Mayetta C’35, Virginia Beach, Va., Aug. 26. Retiring from the U.S. Army in 1962, he worked with the Engineering Command Naval Operations Base in Norfolk, retiring from there in 1975.

Morton C. Meyers CE’35, Elkins Park, Pa., April 26.

Henrietta W. Steinberg Ed’35 G’38, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., Jan. 1990.

Theodore R. Ebell WEv’36, Upper Providence, Pa., retired accountant for the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation; Aug. 1.

Dr. S. John Glueck C’36 GM’52, Springfield, Ohio.

Thomas S. Jones W’36, Canby, Ore., a retired Portland lumber broker; July 7.

George I. Kaplan W’36, Boston, retired president of Majestic Fabrics, which manufactured materials used in making shoes; June 30.

Dr. Henry P. Close M’37, Wayne, Pa., retired director of medical services at Chestnut Hill Hospital; May 30. He had earlier served as chief of staff of the former Veterans’ Administration Hospital in Philadelphia.

Dr. Edith Dumoff Stanley CW’37, Brownwood, Tex., June 16.

Herman B. Blumenthal II W’38, St. Petersburg, Fla., retired senior partner in the Montgomery County (Pa.) accounting firm of Shestack, Blumenthal & Stein; July 5. He was instrumental in the founding of Montgomery County Community College, and served as one of the first chairs of its board of trustees.

Hon. Raymond J. Broderick L’38, Gladwyne, Pa., a senior judge on the U.S. District Court for Eastern Pennsylvania for almost 30 years; Aug. 6. He was best-known for his ruling in the class-action suit Halderman v. Pennhurst State School (1977), that the mentally retarded and disabled residents of the state institution had a constitutional right to an adequate education, training and ongoing care in “the least restrictive setting;” the allegations of abuse and neglect presented in the case were chilling. He ordered the school closed and the residents returned to their homes in Philadelphia and four surrounding counties, and state and county welfare organizations were ordered to provide care for them in small neighborhood group homes. The state appealed the case for years, and it went to the U.S. Supreme Court three times: Judge Broderick finally closed the books on the case in 1998, after 24 years of litigation. His ruling provided the foundation for a nationwide movement to close similar state institutions. Prominent in state Republican politics, he once served as lieutenant governor and unsuccessfully ran for governor. Though a devout Roman Catholic, he barred the city in 1979 from spending tax money to build a platform for a papal visit. And in 1990 he ruled that employers could be held liable under Pennsylvania law for firing workers infected with HIV, the first case in the country involving the employment rights of people with HIV/AIDS. Diagnosed with cancer in the late 1970s, but with an iron constitution, in 1994 he rode, at 80 years, in a cancer bike-athon from downtown Philadelphia to Atlantic City. Failing health, two months before his death, forced Judge Broderick to step down during the trial of a hotly contested sex-discrimination suit against the Philadelphia Fire Department.

Louis Cardarelli G’38, Pittsburgh, Dec. 12, 1998.

Dr. Tilman H. Foust M’38, Mechanicsburg, Pa., a retired physician; Nov. 30, 1998.

George P. Hofheins W’38, Chapel Hill, N.C., retired personnel director for Loblaws, a New York and Pennsylvania food chain; June 6.

Dr. Victor Rubenstein PSW’38, Forest Hills, N.Y.

Dr. Paul R. Swanson M’38, Osprey, Fla., a retired professor of clinical medicine at the University of Buffalo; June 23.

Mary Fussell Westgate CW’38, Savannah, Ga., April 11. She was a former librarian.

David M. Kadansky W’39, Ventura, Calif.

back to top

1940s

Dr. Clement E. Counter GM’40, Yuma, Ariz., a retired physician; Sept. 9, 1998.

John R. Davies III ME’40, Sargentville, Maine, a mechanical engineer.

Virginia R. Dawson FA’40, Charleston, S.C., June 5.

Carl B. London C’40, Sugar Land, Tex., 1998.

Dr. Thomas R. Miller Gr’40, Tryon, N.C., retired vice president of corporate technology for Union Carbide; May 14.

Anna B. Vassar Ed’40, Port Haywood, Va., July 21.

Dr. Willard M. Wallace Gr’40, Berlin, Conn., retired professor and chair of history at Wesleyan University; June 15.

David L. Wilson L’40, Haverford, Pa., retired general attorney for the old Pennsylvania Railroad; Aug. 4.

Elizabeth Cohen Harvey CW’41, Williamsville, N.Y., dean emeritus of social work at the University of Buffalo; June 15.

Arthur S. Kostman WG’41, Wynnewood, Pa., Sept. 1997.

Betty Ann Sugarman Lifson CW’41, Sarasota, Fla., retired director of social rehabilitation and day-care-center director at Rockland County Mental Health Center in Pomona, N.Y.; Aug. 7. She had earlier served as director of psychiatric social work for the Massachusetts Department of Mental Health.

John F. S. Rees GEd’41, Millersville, Pa., retired vice president of the former Shearson Lehman Bros. in Lancaster; July 17. He had served on the Lancaster City Council for many years. And he was a former vice president of the trustees of Millersville University.

James P. Bonelli FA’42 GFA’49, Palm Beach, Fla., a Philadelphia artist who had taught at the former Drexel Institute and at summer schools at Villanova University; July 7.

Dr. Margaret Henry GM’42, Walnut Creek, Calif., retired clinical professor of ophthalmology at the University of California at San Francisco; Aug. 1.

Edward C. McDonald W’42, Scottsdale, Ariz., July 7.

Francis H. Pinkham L’42, New York, April 14.

Charles M. Reed W’42 WG’47, Gorham, N.H., retired systems analyst for the James River Corp.; August.

Dr. George T. Treires M’42, Hockessin, Del., a physician; Nov. 11, 1999.

Dr. John P. Hobach M’43 GM’48, South Pasadena, Fla., a retired ophthalmologist, one of the first in Pinellas County to perform corneal transplants; July 8.

Dr. Edison W. McCullough M’43 GM’47, Snyder, Tex., a physician.

William J. Newman WG’43, Needham, Mass., retired professor of history and political science at Boston University; July 9. He wrote Liberalism and the Retreat From Politics, The Futilitarian Society and The Balance of Power in the Interwar Years, 1919-1939.

Dr. Arthur Resnick D’43, Elderon, N.J., associate clinical professor at the College of Dentistry in New York; July 24. He was a specialist in oral rehabilitation.

Eleanor Painter Stoner Ed’43 GEd’45, Sicklerville, N.J., Aug. 5.

Dr. Frank H. Coble GM’44, Richmond, Ind., an ophthalmologist; Aug. 25, 1995.

Lillian Brownawell Godshall Ed’44, Lafayette Hill, Pa., a retired elementary schoolteacher; Aug. 21.

Herbert C. Polskin PSW’44, Plainfield, N.J., a retired executive with Cross Country Fashions in New York; Aug. 25. He was a past president of the Somerset County Psychiatric Clinic, and had served on the board of Jewish Family Service of Central New Jersey.

Louis J. Carter C’45 L’49, Wynnewood, Pa., a former chair of the Pennsylvania Public Utilities Commission; June 27. In his time the PUC established administrative-law judges to hear utility cases, separate bureaus covering consumer services and economics and a consumer advisory council. After leaving the commission in 1979 he returned to private practice, specializing in real estate and business law, often representing clients, who claimed they had been defrauded by commodity brokers, before the Commodities Futures Trading Commission. And he served as a consultant to the federal Public Service Commission. For two years he was an administrative judge on the Atomic Safety and Licensing Board of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and he testified before Congress on nuclear-safety procedures. Steven L. Carter C’79, said of his father, “he had a hospital bed at home and was still working, still talking on the phone to clients, until quite recently. He was one of those old-time lawyers who never stop working for his clients.” Louis Carter had taught business at the Wharton School.

George F. Garibaldi W’45, Briarcliff Manor, N.Y., a retired restauranteur in New York and Westchester County; Aug. 9.

Dr. Eugene Edward Laigon Sr. M’45, Coaldale, Pa., retired chief of internal medicine and past president of the medical staff at the old Coaldale State General Hospital; July 14.

Windsor C. Wright W’45, Pittsford, N.Y., July 20.

Dr. Ralph C. Hough Jr. C’46, Uniontown, Pa.

Arthur L. Litke WG’46, McLean, Va., a retired official with the General Accounting Office; June 15. He later was vice chair of the Zinder Companies, a financial-consulting group. He was past president of the Association of Government Accountants and of the International Consortium on Government Financial Management.

Dr. Wade S. Rizk GM’46, Jacksonville, Fla., retired director of radiology at St. Luke’s Hospital; July 4. He is credited with introducing radiation oncology to Florida by establishing a radiation-therapy for cancer patients in the 1960s. As president of the Duval County Medical Society, he spoke out in favor of the new Medicare program, which began in 1965, though most local physicians condemned it as ‘socialized’ medicine.

Joseph Roth PSW’46, San Francisco.

C. Robert Esherick W’47, Naples, Fla., a retired attorney with the antitrust division of the U.S. Department of Justice; July 16.

Nancy V. Logan WG’47, Wallingford, Pa., March 31, 1999.

Dr. Frederick Lukoff C’47 G’48 Gr’54, Seattle, Aug. 13.

Helen M. Boughton Ed’48 GEd’53, Trenton, N.J., May 11.

John I. Hartman Jr. L’48, Lancaster, Pa., a retired attorney; Aug. 7. He had served as solicitor for the county controller.

Charles Simon W’48, Greenwich, Conn., March 1998.

Harold E. Stambaugh W’48, Potomac Falls, Va., a general-practice lawyer who had maintained a practice in York for 42 years; July 17.

Phil S. Stover Jr. W’48, Tulsa, Okla., retired senior vice president of the National Bank of Tulsa; Aug. 13. He had also served on the Tulsa Utility Board and as a director of the Tulsa Metropolitan Water Authority. In the mid-1970s, he was vice president of the Tulsa Oilers Baseball Club, and was an executive with several other minor-league baseball franchises, mostly in the South. He also served as a judge for the U.S. Figure Skating Association.

Capt. William E. Benbow GEE’49, Virginia Beach, Va., a retired career officer in the U.S. Navy; Aug. 10.

Alfred C. Borie W’49, Wyndmoor, Pa., July 5.

Alan J. Breckenridge ME’49, Hatboro, Pa., April 28.

Richard L. Cohan W’49, New York, a retired international sales and marketing executive with Wyant Health Care; July 20.

Thomas A. Jackson WG’49, Vernon, Conn., April 22, 1999.

Dr. Harold E. Lurier G’49 Gr’55, New York, former professor of history at Pace University; June 30. He wrote Crusaders as Conquerors: The Chronicle of Morea (1964), Fact Book in European History (1965) and The Emergence of the Western World (1994). He was known also for his translations of Greek poetry.

Burton Spear W’49 L’52, New Britain, Pa., an attorney who had practiced in Doylestown; June 23. Earlier, with the Philadelphia law firm of Stassen & Kephart, he was chief labor negotiator for the Philadelphia school board.

back to top

1950s

Dr. Luis Deltoro Duncan M’50, Yonkers, N.Y., a physician.

Samuel G. Haines Jr. C’50, Willow Grove, Pa., a chartered life underwriter and estate planner; July 10.

Lt.Col. James A. Jolley Ar’50, Park Ridge, Ill., May 8.

Robert J. Kistler W’50, Naples, Fla., retired founder of the Kistler-Tiffany Companies, a financial-services insurance firm in Wayne, Pa.; July 6.

Robert B. Minges W’50, Wilmington, Del., Jan. 16, 1999.

Carl I. Moore W’50, Cape May, N.J., Aug. 26, 1999.

Thomas J. Ryan WG’50, Wynnewood, Pa., June 19.

Harry L. Wettlaufer Jr. C’50, Birmingham, Mich., an interior-systems contractor and consultant; June 15. He was a past president of the National Association of Ceilings and Interior Systems Contractors. At Penn he was an All-American in football in 1950.

Robert M. Beckman C’51 L’56, Arlington, Va., a prominent Washington aviation lawyer; July 21. Over the years he had helped innovative new airlines secure rights in domestic and international routes. In 1985 he led the successful antitrust case of Freddie Laker’s Skytrain. He was a past chair of the ABA’s transportation committee and the aviation-law subcommittee.

D. Jeanne Bockel CW’51, Johnstown, Pa., January.

Dr. Kenneth G. Colling GM’51, London, Ont., July 1999.

Eleanor Akerman Frost Nu’51, Moores-town, N.J., retired instructor of psychiatric nursing at the Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia; July 30, 1998.

Robert A. Fuller C’51, San Juan Capistrano, Calif., April 21.

Selig Goodman CCC’51, Dayton, Ohio.

Sarah Landers Krogstad CW’51 G’54, Fort Washington, Pa., July 17.

Daniel E. Kenny W’51, Old Lyme, Conn., July.

Theodore S. Levin W’51, Vineland, N.J., Dec. 1998.

Dr. Seward W. MacDonald D’51, Slingerlands, N.Y., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Albany for more than 40 years; July 31.

Dr. Herman S. Maul GM’51, Denver, a physician; May 25.

Virginia W. Walker NEd’51, Odessa, Del., July 6, 1999.

Jane Sandford Wenger CW’51, Philadelphia, Oct. 1999.

Dr. Thomas M. Jones Gr’52, Kennett Square, Pa., 1984.

Edward A. O’Connell WG’52, Philadelphia, Jan. 15, 1984.

Robert S. Knoll WEF’53, Wernersville, Pa., May 31.

George R. Moreland GEE’53, Englewood, Fla., a retired research scientist with Leeds and Northrup in North Wales, Pa.; Aug. 8.

Dr. Ruth Nachmansohn Rothschild CW’53, New York, Jan. 1.

Joseph A. Suchoza L’53, an attorney in Pottstown, Pa., who won a landslide election as mayor in 1966; July 19. He later served as solicitor of the Pottstown School District.

Stanley F. Weinberg W’53, Livingston, N.J., June.

Robert E. Yetter W’54 L’59, Camp Hill, Pa., an attorney; Jan. 7.

C. Paul Brubaker Jr. WG’55, York, Pa., director of planning at Lebanon College; Aug. 5. He had earlier served as a Pennsylvania deputy auditor general. He had taught accounting at the University.

Dr. Max E. Griffin GM’55, Medina, Ohio, former chief of staff, and chair and professor of pediatrics at the Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine; June 12. He had also served as director of developmental disabilities and ambulatory pediatric medicine there.

Dr. Robert E. Shannon M’55, Harrisburg, Pa., a physician; 1999.

Dr. Daniel M. Burnside V’56, Quakertown, Pa., co-founder of the Quakertown Veterinary Clinic in 1967; Aug. 8.

Ann Amon Barr CW’57, Indianapolis, an associate professor of psychology at Drexel University in Philadelphia; Aug. 24.

Dr. Henry S. Brenman GD’57, Bradenton, Fla., a retired periodontist and former chair of dentistry at Thomas Jefferson University; July 28. An inventor, he held 27 patents; the Pennsylvania legislature once adopted a resolution honoring his pioneering work in developing devices to alleviate debilitating dental conditions.

Henry P. Epstein W’57, Pittsford, N.Y., chair and CEO of the old Spectrum Office Supplies, based in Rochester; Jan. 6. Staples bought his company in 1994, and he became a vice president with that firm. He was chair of Rochester General Hospital and a founding member of the board of Via Health. And he served on the board of the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra.

Jay Kimmelman W’57, Delray Beach, Fla., advertising director for Florida Atlantic University; July 27. He had earlier managed his own advertising agencies in both Ohio and Florida, handling accounts for major corporations and political figures.

Patrick T. McGahn Jr. L’57, Atlantic City, N.J., a lawyer for big casinos, he had been prominent in the successful campaign behind the 1979 New Jersey referendum that allowed casino gambling; July 27.

Dr. Richard K. Shaw GM’57, Sacramento, Calif., a physician, 1999.

Howard M. Smith WG’57, Losantville, Ind., former professor of data processing at Indiana University at Fort Wayne; July 16.

John F. Clough Jr. G’58, West Chester, Pa., former owner of the WCAU radio and television stations in Philadelphia, who was the moving spirit behind the creation of the Community College of Philadelphia, and who served as its founding dean; Aug. 6. He later served as secretary, then vice president for administration at Franklin & Marshall College, then on the administrative staff at Haverford College, retiring in 1988. A lifelong Democrat, he had played prominent roles in successful Philadelphia mayoral, and state-wide gubernatorial and U.S. Senate campaigns. A longtime a political analyst for CBS, he had also taught at the University, and at Rutgers and Temple universities.

Herman Fichtner WG’58, Cohasset, Mass., April 30, 1997.

Richard M. Gold C’58, Springfield, Pa., Dec. 23, 1999.

Dr. Fount K. Hartley GM’58, Wichita, Kans., June 18.

Grace K. Weiss Nu’58 GEd’62, Wilmington, Del.

Bernadine Demkovich Tucci PT’59, Pennsauken, N.J., June 25.

back to top

1960s

Dianna Zbarsky Hoffman CW’60, Davis, Calif., a retired partner with the law firm of Greve, Clifford, Diepenbrock & Paras; June 30. She was one of the first women trial attorneys in Sacramento County. She had also sat as a judge pro tem for the Sacramento Superior Court and was a visiting professor at University of California at Davis, teaching elective courses on women in the law and trial practice. Retiring in 1993, she and her husband traveled extensively, and briefly settled in Eugene, Ore., returning to Davis in 1997.

David L. Meginnity GEE’60, Marina Del Rey, Calif., May 26.

Matthew B. Valigra SW’60, Bethlehem, Pa., retired executive director of the Northampton County Assistance Office; July 22.

David L. Eyles W’61, West Hartford, Conn., retired executive vice president with the old Chemical Banking Corp. in New York, vice-chair of Mellon Bank Corp. in Pittsburgh, and (until retiring in June) vice-chair and chief credit officer with Fleet-Boston Financial Corp.; Aug. 14. Serving on the board of Robert Morris Associates, the trade association for credit and risk brokers, he was instrumental in creating credit and risk guidelines that have become industry standards.

Gerald G. Landes SW’61, Chalfont, Pa., March 27, 1999.

Dr. J. Michael Tansey D’61, North Wales, Pa., a retired dentist; July 16. He had also taught at the University’s School of Dental Medicine for many years.

Dr. Edward A. Webb D’61, Preston, Conn., a dentist.

Grace Little Ackley Emery Nu’62, Upper Darby, Pa., a retired school nurse for the local school district; Aug. 11.

Dr. Benton H. Marshall G’62, Philadelphia, July 4.

Dr. Albert H. Pearce Jr. V’62, a veterinarian who maintained a practice in Edgemont, Pa., for many years; July 11.

Matthew J. Rosen C’62, Chappaqua, N.Y., Jan. 17, 1999.

Benjamin E. DeRoy Jr. GEE’63, Philadelphia, retired electrical engineer; July 21.

Annabelle McDaniels CW’64, Philadelphia, Oct. 2, 1999.

Steven P. Lockman W’65, Chevy Chase, Md., a senior partner in the Washington law firm of Arnold & Porter who had
specialized in product-liability matters; July 15. He was his firm’s leading negotiator for American Home Products, pending settlement of a $3.75 billion class-action suit for its products, Redux and fenfluramine.

Mark E. Goldberg L’66, Richboro, Pa., solicitor for Bensalem and Northampton townships and the Bucks County Water and Sewer Authority; Aug. 28. He was a co-founding partner of the law firm of Groen, Laveson, Goldberg & Rubenstone.

Elayne Rubinoff CW’66, Greenwich, Conn., an independent video producer and a member of Third Wave Television Productions, a non-profit dedicated to empowering women through the media; July 31. She had retired from IBM after a long career in marketing.

Dr. Theodore N. Chabrak D’67, South Plainfield, N.J., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Green Brook for the last 31 years; July.

Edward L. Collier WG’68, Falmouth, Mass., former president of Kiwi Brands, Inc., of Douglassville, Pa.; June 29. He was head of a graphics company in Natick.

Judith Gray Paster G’68, Newport, R.I., May 13.

Stephen M. Wolownik C’68, Philadelphia, assistant director of the in Mt. Laurel Public Library in New Jersey; May 18. He had earlier served as a reference librarian in Penn’s music library and in the Lippincott Library, 1984-96. As a student at Penn, he founded the Penn Balalaika Orchestra, leading it during his time as a student and often after graduation.

J. Richard Bell WG’69, New York, July 27, 1994.

back to top

1970s

Dr. John P. Hanson Gr’70, White Oak, Pa., a retired analytical engineer with Westinghouse Corp.; July 17. He later served as an adjunct professor of physics at Duquesne University.

Dr. Richard W. Kalkan Jr. MtE’70 GMt’74 Gr’78, Coal Valley, Ill., June 1.

Dr. Richard M. Rosen C’70, Taos, N.M., a psychiatrist who studied eating disorders and depression in the elderly at UCLA’s neuropsychiatric institute; Feb. 24.

Dr. Deck E. Chandler GM’75, San Diego, Nov. 25, 1999.

Michele D. Pinsky CW’75, St. Pete Beach, Fla., Oct. 6, 1999. An attorney, she had practiced in New York for 23 years.

Dr. Stephen Kent Nugent GM’77, Zionsville, Ind., Aug. 3, 1999.

back to top

1980s

John P. Garner WEv’80, Wilmington, Del., April 20, 1998.

Linda Szwedko Goldfarb WG’82, Livingston, N.J., a pharmaceutical marketing researcher; July 13.

Jill Weinberg Benjamin C’85, Hinesville, Ga., May 13.

back to top

1990s

Randall Keoki Moller EAS’90, Boulder, Colo., April 22.

Dr. Keith E. Shell GD’90, Morganton, N.C., April 28.

David V. Whaley C’90, Philadelphia.

back to top

Faculty & Staff

C. Paul Brubaker Jr. See Class of 1955.

Louis J. Carter. See Class of 1945.

John F. Clough Jr. See Class of 1958.

Dr. Gabriel de la Haba, Wayne, Pa., associate professor emeritus of cell and developmental biology; on Jan. 14. He joined the faculty of the School of Medicine in 1959, teaching histology to first-year medical students for 35 years, retiring in 1995. A chemical embryologist, his research focused on why stem cells fuse into the long, skeletal muscle cells known as myotubes. His final paper on muscle formation was published last year. His early, seminal work in the late 1950s on the identification of puromycin as an inhibitor of protein synthesis played an important role in the understanding of that process.

Dr. Vahe Oshagan, a prominent Armenian poet; June 30. He taught Armenian language, history and culture at the University from 1976 to 1982; his poem, “Ahazank” (Alert), contains several scenes and references to Philadelphia. He is credited with having revolutionized Armenian poetry, by rejecting its traditional formalism, often writing in the colloquial, and for giving a voice to the Armenian diaspora.

Dr. Irvin Stein, emeritus professor of orthopaedic surgery at the School of Medicine; Feb. 3. He joined Penn as an orthopaedic resident in 1932, and for the next five decades, starting in 1934, devoted himself to teaching orthopaedic surgery to many generations of medical students and orthopaedic residents at Penn as a clinical professor and, more recently, as emeritus professor. He was the primary author of the textbook on bone metabolism and physiology, Living Bone in Health and Disease (1955). He also served as chair of orthopaedic surgery at the Albert Einstein Medical Center, 1962-72. The Irvin and Dorothy Stein Visiting Professorship maintains his legacy of teaching future medical students, residents and faculty.

Dr. J. Michael Tansey. See Class of 1961.

Dr. Eric Peter Tulleners, Kennett Square, Pa., the Lawrence Baker Sheppard Professor of Surgery in the School of Veterinary Medicine; Jan. 16. He was an expert in upper-respiratory tract dysfunction in horses and pioneered the use of laser surgery to treat them. He also studied laparoscopic surgery for horses and general surgery for cows. Joining the Veterinary School in 1981, he was promoted to assistant professor of surgery in 1982, and head of food-animal surgical services. In 1986 Dr. Tulleners became head of the newly-founded Laser Surgical Services and in 1991 he was appointed chief of the section of surgery. Named to the Lawrence Baker Sheppard Associate Professorship of Surgery in 1993, he attained the rank of professor in 1998. Last year he was elected to a three-year term on the Board of Regents of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons.

Dr. John R. Williamson, Philadelphia, professor of biochemistry and biophysics; Feb. 3. He joined Penn’s Johnson Research Foundation in 1963 as a research associate, and was appointed assistant professor of biochemistry and biophysics in 1965 and full professor in 1975. His early research produced key descriptions of cellular bioenergetics and the regulation of intermediary metabolism; later he focussed on molecular mechanisms of hormonal signal transduction. Dr. Williamson was chair of the biochemistry graduate group, 1993-97. He served on the editorial boards of a number of scientific journals, including the Journal of Biological Chemistry and Biochimica Biophysica Acta. He was a member of the Biochemical Society of the United Kingdom.


Previous issue's obituaries | Nov/Dec Contents | Gazette home


Copyright 2000 The Pennsylvania Gazette Last modified 11/1/00

../1198/space%20holder