../1198/space%20holder


Previous issue's obituaries | Nov/Dec Contents | Gazette home


../1198/Obituaries%20overline

The Old Guard | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s | 1950s | 1960s | 1970s

1980s
| 1990s
|
2000s | Faculty and Staff

 
SEPTEMBER 11, 2001

Alumni Victims
of Terror Attacks

These alumni have been confirmed dead by the Alumni Records Office following the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on September 11. Our profound sympathies to their families and friends at Penn and elsewhere.

Mukul K. Agarwala EE’84 WG’90
J. Howard Boulton Jr. WEv’94
Mark L. Charette W’85
Geoffrey Cloud L’90
Robert J. Deraney WG’83
Garth E. Feeney EAS/W’95
Dr. Gerald P. Fisher GrS’74 GCP’72
Nicholas Humber WG’67
Hideya Kawauchi WG’93
Michael M. Miller W’84
Tu-Anh Pham WG’89
Michael V. San Phillip W’67
Keiji Takahashi GL’85
Jeffrey D. Wiener GEng’94

Obituaries will appear in the
January/February 2002 issue.

 

The Old Guard

David Levy Ar’13, White Plains, N.Y., May 1979.

Dr. Leonard A. Davis D’18, Surfside, Fla., Sept. 1987.

Samuel C. Musser W’18, Lansdale, Pa., Dec. 1977.

1920s

Ruth Alexander Atkinson Ed’20, Mount Holly, N.J., Jan. 1980.

Anne W. Forster CCT’21, Philadelphia, 1990.

Ada Zeidelman Ed’21, New York, Sept. 1976.

Arthur T. Atkinson L’22, Cherry Hill, N.J., Oct. 1981.

James V. Hazlett W’22, Philadelphia, Oct. 1979.

Russell C. Lain W’22, Orange, N.Y., Feb. 1980.

Dr. William H. Hazelton GM’24, Capistrano Beach, Calif., Dec. 1982.

Miriam Marcus Levitt PSW’24, Philadelphia, retired field coordinator for the federal Retired Senior Volunteer program, which matches senior volunteers with nonprofit agencies; Aug. 22. Retiring in her early 80s, she continued to work as a volunteer at the Philadelphia Geriatric Center until she was 92, when she could no longer drive.

Theresa Young Morey Ed’24, Doylestown, Pa., June 10.

Bess Weinrott Sickel Ed’24, Lakewood, N.J., Oct. 31, 2000.

James G. Masland W’25, Newport, R.I., July 5, 1995.

Norma B. Silverman Ed’25, Philadelphia, March 15, 2000.

Helen M Neef Ed’26, Mooresville, N.C., July 12.

Capt. Arthur M. Blamphin CE’28, Arnold, Md., retired superintendent of the U.S. Navy’s structures laboratory in Philadelphia; June 24. After retiring in 1960, he served with the Materials Advisory Board for 11 years.

Virginia West Gray Ed’28, Buffalo, N.Y., a retired caseworker with the Erie County Department of Social Services; July 3.

Keene Abbott C’29, Jamesville, N.Y., a retired marketing and sales executive with Utica National Insurance; Aug. 18.

I. I. Jamison C’28 L’31, Philadelphia, May 4.

Russell A. Nelson ChE’29, Blue Bell, Pa.

back to top

1930s

Joseph Missimer W’30, Haverford, Pa., retired executive vice president of the L. Norris Hall Steel Co.; June 4. He served on the Upper Merion sewer commission for 20 years.

Robert T. Schaller W’30, Virginia Beach, Va., April 9.

Wilbur R. Trowbridge W’30, Flemington, N.J., July 26, 1997.

Dr. Samuel S. Burden C’31, Plantation, Fla., May 20.

Dr. Thomas E. Robinson M’31, Sandy, Utah, the first physician to establish a fulltime practice in Sugar House, who retired at 90 years; July 12. He was a former chair of the general-practice section of the AMA, and the first Utah president of the American Academy of General Practice. Active in the Mormon church, he served for many years in the Yale Ward bishopric and later was a sealer in the Salt Lake Temple.

Elizabeth T. Blackburn Ed’32, Philadelphia, March 9, 1996.

Dr. Esther Chilstrom-Meixner GEd’32 Gr’41, Washington, a retired historian; July 14. She had taught at Penn in the 1940s.

Lillian Z. Coleman DH’32, Reading, Pa., Sept. 24, 1999.

Maj. Gen. Henry S. Murphey M’32, Mineral, Va., a retired otolaryngologist who had served as head of the U.S. Army’s Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington; June 26. He also commanded the Valley Forge General Hospital in Pennsylvania. A colonel in charge of a general-hospital unit in northern France during the Second World War, he received a Bronze Star and the Legion of Merit. After retiring from the Army in 1965, he served as medical director of the old Landis State Hospital in North Philadelphia for 10 years.

Dr. Robert Y. Netolicky GM’32, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, April 21, 1988.

Catherine A. Noyes G’32, Newtown, Pa., Jan. 25, 1998.

Dr. Morey Parkes C’32, Los Angeles, April 28, 2000.

Marion Crawley Price Ed’32, Gwynedd, Pa., July 26.

Alice Kinsman Brodhead Ed’33 G’34, Wilmington, Del., former professor of psychology at Swarthmore College; May 29. She was instrumental in setting up a program there that enabled students to prepare for teaching careers.

Henry G. Hart Jr. W’33, Glencoe, Ill., Jan. 4, 2000.

Samuel M. Kaplan Ed’33, Philadelphia, Nov. 27, 1988.

Dr. Edwin L. Lame M’33 GM’39, Gladwyne, Pa., a former associate professor of radiology at the University who served as director of radiology at Presbyterian Hospital from 1947 to 1966; June 3. While at Presbyterian he was among the earliest physicians in the country to use high doses of X-rays to treat malignant lymphomas. He had earlier served as chief of radiology at Jeanes Hospital (1945-48). After retiring from Presbyterian, he was a radiologist at the old Veterans Hospital in Coatesville, 1966-77.

Alfred T. Novello WEv’33, Nokomis, Fla., a retired financial consultant; June 3.

Edith Holloway Smith Ed’33, Milford, Del., March 3.

Virginia Tomlin Cotter Ed’34 G38, Philadelphia, Jan. 12.

Vincent J. Frascino WEv’34, Fayetteville, Ga., Jan. 23.

Martha C. Hilton G’34, Los Angeles, Nov. 25, 2000.

Stewart W. Kinsey W’34, Akron, Ohio.

Morton S. Krall W’34, Hamden, Conn., March 11.

Howard S. Lane W’34, Hackettstown, N.J., April 18.

Herbert H. Swinburne Ar’34, Philadelphia, a retired architect who designed the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development building in Washington, and who collaborated with Marcel Breuer in designing the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services building; June 29. He also designed the Tyler School of Art in Philadelphia and buildings at Temple University
and La Salle University. He was a founding member of the board of the National Institute of Building Sciences, and a former chair of the Building Research Advisory Board of the National Academy of Sciences.

Max E. Topp C’34, North Haven, Conn., 1999.

Gordon T. Abbott W’35, Yarmouth Port, Mass., July 26, 1998.

Dr. Elwood G. Fooder V’35, Hammonton, N.J., retired veterinarian who had for over 40 years maintained a practice in Haddonfield, and who had served as the veterinarian at the old Garden State, Monmouth, and Atlantic City race tracks; April 14, 1999. He was a past president of the New Jersey Veterinarians Association.

Irving I. Held Jr. W’35, Richmond, Va., Aug. 14, 2000.

Helen Smith Katz Ed’35, Margate City, N.J., June 23, 2000.

Harold Keller W’35, Port Washington, N.Y., a certified public accountant in private practice for more than 60 years; May 11. He is the father of Bill Keller C’73 and Ed Keller C’77 ASC’79.

Agnes Perkins Laidlaw Ed’35, Hinsdale, Ill., June 25.

Dr. Joseph D. Moore G’35 GrEd’65, Dover, Del., March 30.

Charles M. Macko C’36, Haverford, Pa., a retired aerospace analyst; May 22. During the Second World War he served in the personal military-police detail for President Truman.

Dr. R. Burgess Mason Gr’36, Denham Springs, La., a retired research chemist with the Exxon Co.; July 31.

Margaret L. Oughton FA’36, Philadelphia, Feb. 8, 2000.

Sydney A. Altman W’37, Boca Raton, Fla., a retired real estate developer in Philadelphia; June 20. He served on the board of the Boca Raton Hospital and chaired its benefactor society. He had also been a founding board member of the United Jewish Appeal of South Palm Beach County, a past president of the Florida Atlantic University Foundation, and a board member of the Florida Philharmonic Orchestra.

Jeanne MacMillan Clepper PSW’37, Newtown, Pa., a retired social worker for children’s services in Hartford, Conn.; July 25.

Theodore M. Dillaway W’37, Ventura, Calif., retired vice president and secretary of the Buffalo (N.Y.) Forge Co.; June 3. At Penn he was captain of the soccer team and he rowed crew.

Susanna Moore Hickman NEd’37, College Park, Md., Dec. 9, 1999.

Sol H. Kitei W’37 L’40, Philadelphia, a retired attorney; May 30. He was a former solicitor for the Rossini Building & Loan Association. And he was a past president of Ramet El Synagogue. An avid checkers player, he won the Philadelphia checkers championship while at Penn: “We went to the Ivy Ball with the money he won,” his wife, Jeannette, recalled.

C. Albert Altwegg Jr. W’38, Arlington, Tex., business editor of The Dallas Morning News from 1960 to 1980; July 5. At Penn he was news editor of The Daily Pennsylvanian.

Herbert C. Bushkoff C’38 G’40, Philadelphia, Jan. 13, 1990.

Dr. Morton N. Goldensohn D’38, Deerfield Beach, Fla., a retired dentist; Sept. 21, 2000.

Coral E. Melson Ed’38 GEd’42, Moorestown, N.J., Nov. 1978.

Joseph S. Najavits C’38, New York, July 22, 1996.

Thomas A. Pierce W’38, Fairfax, Va., a retired liaison official with the U.S. Agency for International Development; June 26. He had earlier retired from the U.S. Army as a lieutenant colonel.

Marjorie Ellis Rothera CW’38, York, Pa., 1999.

Muriel L. White Ed’38, Kennett Square, Pa., March 1984.

Dr. Charles A. Bikle M’39, Chambersburg, Pa., a retired physician; June 12.

Capt. Thomas G. Burley Jr. W’39, McLean, Va., April 6.

Julian B. Goodstein Ed’39 GEd’40, Trenton, N.J., July 12.

Don C. Harrold W’39, Clarksburg, W.Va., April 2.

Dr. Frederick H. Martin M’39, Zionsville, Pa., a retired physician who had maintained a practice in Emmaus for 49 years; June 22.

George W. Mihok WEv’39, Media, Pa., July 17, 1997.

Alan G. Rudolph C’39, Clinton Corners, N.Y., a retired executive with Goldsmith Brothers Stationers, his family’s business; March 24. He later was an administrator with the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, and a housing advocate with United Neighborhood Houses. And he owned the Hunt Valley Farm in Staatsburg. He was a former chair of the University Settlement.

Dr. Lois V. Williams G’39, McKownville, N.Y., former professor of classics at SUNY Albany; June 19.

back to top

1940s

H. Gordon Evans W’40, Houston, June 16.

Margaret Scott Johnson CW’40, Westport, Conn., July 21. A past president of the Westport Garden Club, she was an expert on clematis and wrote articles for the gardening section of The New York Times and the Clematis Society in London.

Myrtle Mandiberg G’40, Los Angeles, May 7.

Howard G. Moody W’40, Danielson, Conn., Oct. 22, 2000.

Anthony J. Semola ME’40, Lakeport, Calif., Nov. 17, 2000.

Fred A. Shirland EE’40, Murrysville, Pa., a retired research engineer who worked on solar energy with Westinghouse in Churchill, and a rural-preservation activist for the last 10 years; June 11. Retiring in 1985, he was briefly employed on similar solar research for the Hughes Corp. in California. Returning to Murrysville, he worked to protect its rural environment and helped found a lobbying group that supported preservationists in local elections. He was also a charter member and president of the Westmoreland Conservancy, which has acquired 300 acres of open space since 1993. During the Second World War he served in a communications unit attached to Patton’s Third Army, and earned the nickname “Fearless Fred” for his work removing booby traps at abandoned Nazi communication posts. He reportedly was the youngest lieutenant colonel in a non-combat unit.

Dr. Shelley A. Swift M’40, Bountiful, Utah, former professor of pathology at the University of Utah and director of the St. Marks Hospital Laboratory; July 28. During the Second World War he served in Burma and China and was awarded a Bronze Star.

Winston Dorrell W’41, Jacksonville, Fla., June 27, 2000.

Dr. Alvin A. Goldhush D’41 G’42, Cutchogue, N.Y., a dentist; Sept. 16, 1998.

Paul G. Kelly W’41, Pottstown, Pa., Feb. 28.

Seymour DeWitt Ludlum Jr. CCC’41, Rosemont, Pa., former director of the old Gladwyne Colony, a psychiatric hospital in Gladwyne; July 21. He later helped set up the electroencephalogram department at Bryn Mawr Hospital.

William J. Mackleer W’41, Jenkintown, Pa., Sept. 7, 1999.

Robert H. Malis C’41 L’47, Elkins Park, Pa.; an attorney who was a senior partner with the Philadelphia law firm of Schnader, Harrison, Segal & Lewis.

Dr. John W. Nicholson III M’41, Medford, N.J., a retired physician who had maintained a practice in Moorestown from 1951 to 1996; July 6. While president of the Burlington County Medical Society in the 1960s, he was instrumental in establishing the position of the county’s health officer.

Frieda Radler CCC’41, Wilmington, Del., March 17.

Paul R. Wagner W’41, Arlington, Tex., retired professor of bible studies and Greek at Dallas Bible College; July 8.

John H. Wright FA’41 GFA’42, Evanston, Ill., an artist who was a retired toy designer with Tinkertoy; April 27. In his spare time he had taught painting in the architecture department of the Illinois Institute of Technology, and at the Evanston Art Center.

John A. Dash W’42, Devon, Pa., a labor-relations negotiator and consultant who specialized in mass-transit contracts; June 2. He had worked with the major mass-transit systems in the country. And he testified as an expert witness on rate increases before regulatory bodies.

Kathryn Feist Delauter CW’42, North Bellmore, N.Y., Jan. 12, 2000.

Robert S. Einstein Jr. W’42, Carlisle, Pa., March 20.

Dr. James J. Fiedler C’42, Blue Bell, Pa., Aug. 1998.

Dr. Robert C. Helm M’42, Quarryville, Pa., a retired general practitioner who had maintained a practice in southern Lancaster County for 36 years; July 10.

Dr. Brooke Hindle G’42 Gr’49, Gaithersburg, Md., former professor and chair of history at New York University who served as director of the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History, 1974-78; June 3. Having resigned that position, he continued his life work, researching the role of technology and artifacts in the social history of this country. He wrote Emulation and Invention (1981) and Material Culture of the Wooden Age (1981), and co-wrote Engines of Change (1986). His 24-year career at NYU included serving as dean of its College at University Heights.

Clement Budd Hoskins ME’42, Port Charlotte, Fla., a retired mechanical engineer for Amoco Corp. in Illinois; July 24.

Bruce C. Igler WEF’42, Albany, N.Y., July 16, 2000.

Naoma Claire Radbill Ed’42, Naples, Fla., July 4.

Dr. J. Perlingiero Randall M’42 GM’46, Abington, Pa., a pediatrician who, at 83 years, still maintained a practice from her home office, that she and her husband had set up in 1947; June 29, at her second home in St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. Till the week she died, she also worked at the Well Baby Clinic of the Abington VNA. In 1976 she helped found the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, and served as its director. Dr. Randall was a former president of the Philadelphia Academy of Pediatrics. She had served on the staff of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

Jules A. Arronson W’43, White Plains, N.Y., former president of Dinny and Robbins Retail Shoes in New York, Westchester county, and Connecticut; July 12. He was a past treasurer of the Shoe League of Greater New York.

Dr. Richard H. Demaree M’43, West Long Branch, N.J., a physician; March 6.

Dr. Bayard J. Denoie D’43, Damascus, Pa., a retired dentist who had maintained a practice in Lynbrook for many years; July 4. He had served as president of the Malverne school board.

Dr. Jack L. Dozier M’43, Thomasville, Ala., a physician; Oct. 7, 1999.

Dr. Edgar R. Lawrence D’43, East Bradford, Pa., a retired dental surgeon who had maintained a practice in West Chester for many years and who had served as president of the dental and oral surgical services at Chester County Hospital; June 12. After retiring in 1994, he joined Community Volunteers in Medicine and treated poor and needy people from its Frazer office.

Marie H. Richardson-Santos PSW’43, Swarthmore, Pa., Sept. 23, 2000.

George H. Eckman WEv’44, Wilmington, Del., March 15.

Peggy McGee Gotcher CW’44, Niceville, Fla., July 6.

Frances Getson Schlain Ed’44, Cherry Hill, N.J., retired social worker with the American Red Cross in Philadelphia; May 21.

Dr. Joseph G. Shute V’44, Doylestown, Pa., a veterinarian who had maintained a practice there for 40 years before retiring in 1986; June 16.

Dr. Robert E. Gundel M’45, Houston, retired medical director of Savage Laboratories; July 7.

Ralph W. Heffner M’45, Dunnellon, Fla., June 2, 2000.

Elliot Shteir D’45, Somerville, N.J., a former dentist who had maintained a practice in Somerville from 1947 to 1986, who then went to law school and set up in legal practice with his son in 1989; Oct. 4, 2000.

Marion Kurtz Steinmetz Ed’45, Beverly, N.J., June 16. She had worked for the Educational Testing Service in Princeton for 25 years.

Frederick Beckman Ed’46, Philadelphia, May 20, 2000.

Dr. Harry E. Ferris D’46 GD’51, Riverdale, Md., a retired oral surgeon who had served as chief of dentistry and oral surgery at Prince George’s General Hospital from 1953 to 1986 and chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery from 1992 to 1996; June 16. He was a past president of the Maryland State Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.

Catherine Young Hickey WEv’46, Little Rock, Ark., June 13.

Rose Moss Klitzner PSW’46, Culver City, Calif., March 6.

Louis B. Nielsen L’46, Honesdale, Pa., Feb. 8.

Mary Smith Wilkins GEd’46, Philadelphia, a retired elementary-school teacher at Greenfield School; July 21.

Dr. John D. Alexander M’47, Palm Beach, Fla., a retired physician who had maintained a practice in Coatesville, Pa., for many years; July 10. He was a past president of the Upland Country Day School. He had earlier served as an associate professor of medicine at the University.

Eugene S. Fogler W’47 GEd’51, Wilmington, Del., May 5, 2000.

James F. Gaygan W’47, Pittsburgh, Sept. 3, 2000.

John H. Picou W’47, Encinitas, Calif., a retired marketing executive based in San Diego; June 13. In 1977 he started Operation Bootstrap, now the San Diego Regional Economic Development Corp., to bring about economic growth for the city: in the first two years unemployment plunged. He was retained by the governor to implement it for the state. At 29, he had become director of marketing research for Arco; later, as director of advertising and sales promotion he helped develop a see-through, plastic automobile engine for use in television commercials. He went to San Diego to market the American Freeway Patrol, which provided the then-novelty of traffic reports from helicopters.

Charles F. Rell WG’47, Little Silver, N.J., retired president and chair of Oakite Products, Inc., in Berkeley Heights; Dec. 16, 1999. He served as mayor of Little Silver, 1971-75.

Joseph J. Zaiss W’47, East Bethany, N.Y., Aug. 18, 1999.

Frederick J. Zappala WG’47, Winchester, Mass., a retired chair and professor of accounting at Boston College; July 18.

Dr. Charles L. Cox Jr. M’48, Montgomery, Ala., a retired physician; May 3.

William J. Crecelius WEv’48, Charlotte, N.C., June 19.

Dr. Robert L. Schaeffer Jr. Gr’48, Allentown, Pa., retired professor of botany at Muhlenberg College; June 21.

Lewis F. Weiss W’48, Bedford, N.Y., president of H. Weiss & Co. Inc. in Armonk; July 10.

Dr. Louis J. Calisti D’49, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., dean emeritus of the Tufts University School of Dental Medicine; July 30. He later served as president of the University of Southern Maine, then as an associate dean at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine, and a professor of public health and community dentistry at Boston University. He also was a consultant to the government of Kuwait, setting up a dental-care system there.

Dr. Lewis L. Coriell GM’49, Medford, N.J., a retired virologist who helped lay the technical groundwork for the polio vaccine and who founded what is now the Coriell Institute for Medical Research in Camden; June 19. As medical director of the old Camden Municipal Hospital for Contagious Diseases in the early 1950s, he, with other scientists, showed that the blood protein gamma globulin could be used to produce temporary polio immunity in children. That showed a vaccine for polio was possible: it was then emerging as a national epidemic. He also ran the field trials of the resulting Salk vaccine. With land donated by the City of Camden and money raised by local businesspeople, he founded the Coriell Institute in 1956; it was named after him when he retired in 1985. He remained active in the institute’s research projects and served as a trustee. And he was a past president of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia.

Janet Reyno Dreisbach GEd’49, Haddon Heights, N.J., retired longtime principal of the local junior high school; July 22.

Col. Harold N. Holt WG’49, Cherry Hill, N.J., a retired local businessman who was one of the most decorated pilots from Philadelphia in the Second World War; July 6. In Nov. 1944 he was promoted, at age 28, to colonel in the U.S. Air Force after flying 133 low-level combat missions in Europe. He named his plane “The Magic Carpet,” as a reminder of the rug company he had set up back home before the war: ground crews regarded the name appropriate, as during the Normandy invasion, they replaced four engines, three right wings, two left wings, two tail assemblies, and two complete landing-gear assemblies. He received the Silver Star, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star, the Croix de Guerre avec Palme, the Belgian Fourragere, and an Air Medal with 27 oak-leaf clusters. After the war he was commandant of the Squadron Officer School at Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama, and received the Legion of Merit for his service there. After several years in assignments at the Pentagon and as a U.S. representative to NATO in Paris, he retired from the Air Force in 1966. His carpet company had continued throughout his military career, expanding to stores in Quakertown, Pa., and Cherry Hill; he ran it till he retired from there in 1990. He served on the Cherry Hill Township Council, 1975-79.

Dr. Walter J. Jones D’49, Warren, Pa., a dentist; April 30.

Dr. Marion E. McKenna Ed’49, Niceville, Fla., July 16.

John H. McMichael WG’49, Boothwyn, Pa., emeritus associate professor and former associate chair of accounting at the University; July 24. He had taught at the Wharton School from 1949 to 1986. During the Second World War he served as a cryptographer with the Signal Corps in Washington, working on German and Japanese codes. During his academic career he was also a consultant for the U.S. General Accounting Office, the U.S. Agency for International Development, the U.S. Mission to Costa Rica, the old Bell Telephone of Pennsylvania, and the old Lybrand Ross Bros. & Montgomery. He wrote Advanced Cost Accounting (1954), the article “Inventory Control” in the Encyclopaedia Britannica, and co-wrote Elementary Accounting (1966).

back to top

1950s

William B. Brimmer ME’50, Churchville, Pa., May 4.

Edward D. Bubser V’50, Bethlehem, Pa., a retired maintenance foreman in the tool-steel division of Bethlehem Steel; June 16.

Harry C. Burrichter W’50, Lancaster, Pa., a retired supervisor of utility services and maintenance at the old RCA Corp.; June 9. Associated in various capacities with the Lancaster U.S. Naval Reserve Training Center from 1956 to 1970, he retired as a commanding officer with the rank of commander.

Harry K. Hiestand W’50, Villanova, Pa., retired executive vice president of the investment-advisory division and board secretary of W. H. Newbold’s Son & Co.; June 5.

Linda Hamm Klein Ed’50, Bryn Athyn, Pa.

Peter P. Penkala W’50, Milford, Conn., June 4.

Lloyd F. Breininger WEv’51, Philadelphia, retired controller for the Philadelphia law firm of Dilworth, Paxson; July 11.

Crede C. Calhoun L’51, Cleveland Heights, an attorney who had practiced for 45 years, specializing in worker’s compensation, personal-injury, and legal-malpractice law; June 3.

Dr. John F. Devoe Jr. D’51, Elizabeth, N.J., a dentist who had maintained a practice there for 36 years before retiring in 1987; Dec. 4, 2000.

Donald W. Everett WG’51, Anchorage, Ky., Jan. 30.

Elwood R. Harper WEv’51, Malvern, Pa., former director of employee benefits for Conrail; May 28. Retired, he was self-employed as an accountant.

Dr. William G. Mays M’51, Tulsa, Oklahoma, a retired surgeon; July 1.

Robert M. McCann C’51, Venice, Fla., retired manager of General Motors Acceptance Corp. in Cincinnati; July 13.

David J. Lobel EE’52, Mohnton, Pa., Dec. 18, 2000.

Dr. Joseph W. McHugh GM’51, Naples, Fla., a physician; July 7.

Lt.Col. Samuel H. Oakley WG’51, Woodland, Calif., retired executive officer and deputy chief of staff at the headquarters of the U.S. Army’s Terminal Command at Fort Mason and later at the Oakland Army Terminal; July 21. He retired in 1964, but six months later accepted the civilian position of public-affairs officer at the Oakland base, retiring from there in 1976.

Mildred C. Ostrow Nu’51 GEd’57, Philadelphia, retired clinical specialist in obstetrics and pediatrics at Albert Einstein Hospital Nursing School, who had taught there for 32 years; June 11.

Rabbi Roy A. Rosenberg C’51, Brooklyn, N.Y., a prominent figure in American Reform Judaism who was an early advocate of interfaith and interracial marriages; July 11. In 1975 he helped found the Temple of Universal Judaism in Manhattan, devoted to accepting interfaith families, and served as its rabbi until retiring in 1997. And he co-wrote Happily Intermarried (1988). A scholar of messianism, he wrote The Anatomy of God (1973), Who Was Jesus? (1986), The Concise Guide to Judaism (1990), The Veneration of Divine Justice: The Dead Sea Scrolls and Christianity (1995), and Everything You Need to Know About American Jews and Their History (1997).

Dr. Wallace S. Sekul GM’52, Biloxi, Miss., May 12, 1994.

Eugene B. Clark W’52, Newtown Square, Pa., Oct. 4, 1997.

Alexander J. Furtek GEd’52, Evanston, Ill., 1997.

George H. Guenther WEv’52, Prospect Park, Pa., Dec. 13, 2000.

Jean Cobb Hoban CW’52, Wayne, Pa., retired chief financial officer of the old Oxford Metal Co., which produced metal bed frames; June 11.

Henry M. Johnson Jr. WEv’52, Alexandria, Va., April 16.

John J. Kindon WEv’52, Philadelphia, Aug. 19, 2000.

Grace D. Lofthouse Nu’52, Wawa, Pa., Dec. 28, 1990.

Asher O. Melzer SW’52, Great Neck, N.Y., retired director of camping services for the United Jewish Appeal-Federation, and for 21 years executive director of Surprise Lake Camp, one of the largest and oldest Jewish summer camps; April 8. He was instrumental in setting up the first Jewish summer camp in post-Communist Hungary.

Joseph Patruno W’52, Spring Lake Heights, N.J., owner of a building-products company; July 8.

Peggy Miller Walsh CW’52, Buffalo, N.Y., July 28, 1997.

Dr. Walter W. Williamson GrEd’52, Sarasota, Fla., retired director of student teaching at Towson State University; July 28.

Elma G. Bidwell SW’53, Bloomfield, Conn., a retired social worker with the Connecticut Department of Social Services; June 22.

David Swope II Ar’53, Bryn Mawr, Pa., Nov. 29, 2000.

William Atcheson WEv’54, Philadelphia.

Dr. Malcolm W. Lentz C’54 M’58 GM’62, Chillicothe, Ohio, a retired surgeon who had maintained a practice in Gallipolis and Tiffin; May 2.

George L. Pauk C’54, Princeton, N.J., an attorney who maintained a solo practice there; July 12.

Warren T. Stone W’54, Sarasota, Fla., retired executive director of a tubing company in Wynnewood, Pa.; June 18.

Kenneth A. Berman W’55, Morris, N.J., a senior partner with the accounting firm, Rosenberg, Rich, Baker, Berman & Co.; Sept. 8, 2000.

Dr. Edmund Drauglis Ch’55, Upper Arlington, Ohio, principal research chemist at Battelle Corp. from 1964 to 1986; July 26. He later was group leader in the applications laboratory at Mearl Corp. in Ossining, N.Y., and then worked for the Englehard Corp. in Iselin, N.J. His classmate, Dr. Leonard M. Pakman C’56 Gr’63, writes, “I believe Ed’s inventions included contributions to the appearance of the sandwich coin (U.S. quarters), metallic paint (used on autos), and the chrome plating of plastics (also used as auto trims), to name but a few.”

David J. Goldberg L’55, Lawrenceville, N.J., the first commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Transportation (1966-70) and a former chair of the New Jersey Turnpike Authority (1990-94); June 18. He had also served as chair of the Delaware River Port Authority and of the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission. He had lectured on transportation and government at the Wharton School.

S. John Greene II FA’55, Hollywood, Fla., May 9.

David M. Houston Jr. C’55, Wilmington, Del., retired fleet manager for Diver Chevrolet; May 26.

James P. Knapp W’55, Blowing Rock, N.C., Jan. 27. A retired owner of a small business in St. Petersburg, Fla. At Penn he was in the Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity.

Henry G. Fricke WG’56, Quechee, Vt., Aug. 21, 2000.

Morris Seidman SW’56, Philadelphia, a retired psychiatric social worker in the Philadelphia region and with Jewish Family Services in Trenton, N.J.; July 26. He also had maintained a private psychotherapist practice in Bucks County for many years.

Russell S. Sharbaugh L’56, Marco Island, Fla., May 29.

Marshall D. Silverman WG’56, Newton, Mass., July 6, 1999.

Eugene R. Kline WG’57, Bethlehem, Pa., retired vice president for public affairs at Bethlehem Steel Corp.; June 30. After retiring in 1984, he briefly served as executive director of university relations for Pennsylvania State University then as director of business development for Alvin H. Butz, Inc.

Anita Jaron Spivack CW’58, Menlo Park, Calif., Oct. 29, 2000.

Dick R. Davies WEv’59, Glen Mills, Pa.

Dr. Paul A. Robinson GM’59, Huntsville, Ala., Dec. 21, 2000.

Dr. Robert F. White Jr. Gr’59, St. Petersburg, Fla., retired professor and chair of English at Eastern Illinois University; July 3.

back to top

1960s

Dr. James L. Celarier Gr’60, Washington, emeritus professor and associate chair of philosophy at the University of Maryland; Aug. 13.

Stanley W. Feiler W’60, Savannah, a retired attorney; April 16.

Edith Greenblatt Ed’60, Philadelphia, July 23, 2000.

Dr. John O. Judge M’60, Tucson, Ariz., a physician; Nov. 11, 1999.

Dr. Vincent L. Lagattuta Jr. GD’60, Baton Rouge, La., a retired oral surgeon who had maintained a practice in the greater Baton Rouge area for 40 years; June 20. He also served as an associate professor of dental surgery at Louisiana State University.

Robert Longo GCE’60, West Simsbury, Conn., an engineer at Combustion Engineering for 25 years before retiring in 1995; June 24. He was the national director of the International Martial Arts Kokondo Association and the chief instructor at its headquarters; he had earned his 9th degree Black Belt.

Dr. Joseph J. Marbach D’60, New York, the Robert and Susan Carmel Professor of Algesiology in the Department of Oral Pathology at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Dental School in Newark, N.J., who was an expert in the diagnosis and treatment of oral facial pain; July 22. He also held an appointed in the psychiatry department at the UMDNJ Medical Center in Newark.

Donald A. Dasburg W’61, Chicago, regional advertising sales manager for Plastic News, a trade magazine; June 30. He was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

Rabbi Irwin H. Haut L’61, Brooklyn, N.Y., an attorney specializing in insurance law and litigation who was prominent in the struggle of argunot, Jewish women who are unable to get religious divorces; May 11. In the last five years he taught Talmud and Jewish law at the Academy of Jewish Religion. He wrote The Talmud as Law or Literature: An Analysis of David W. Halivni’s Mekorot Umasorot; Divorce in Jewish Law and Life; and Self Help under Jewish Law.

Arthur C. Lockett C’61, Montclair, N.J., Sept. 18, 1999.

Stuart C. Lewis W’62, Houston, March 6.

William L. Herrmann W’62, Gloucester, Mass., June 14.

Dr. Peter B. Murray Gr’62, St. Paul, retired professor and chair of English at Macalester College; July 21. Specializing in the detailed psychological analysis of Shakespearean characters, he wrote Shakespeare’s Imagined Persons: The Psychology of Role-Playing and Acting (1995). He had earlier taught at Penn and the University of Delaware.

Herbert J. Wills WEv’62, Tabernacle, N.J., Dec. 27, 2000.

William F. Wintzer C’62, North Wildwood, N.J., Aug. 1984.

William P. Cleary W’63, Wilmington, Del., June 10, 2000.

Robert G. Senn W’63, Amherst, N.H., an attorney; May 13.

Vincent A. Langelo GEE’64, Mendon, Mass., a retired electrical engineer with RCA and Raytheon; Aug. 22.

Linda Lepow Murray OT’64, Stafford, Va., 1996.

Fred A. Tillman Jr. WG’64, Santa Fe, N.M., emeritus professor of legal studies and financial planning at Georgia State University; Aug. 1.

Betty Hatton Nu’65, Perkiomenville, Pa., a retired nurse with the Philadelphia school district; June 25. She had previously been a Christian missionary in India and Pakistan, and during the Second World War was imprisoned by the Japanese while young.

Mark F. Kessenich Jr. WG’65, Palm Beach, Fla., retired president and CEO of Eastbridge Capital Inc., in New York; March 20. With Citibank, he helped in the re-structuring of New York’s debt in the 1970s, then rose to be in charge of the firm’s trading and investment-banking activities in North America. In 1986 he resigned to join an effort to rescue struggling E. F. Hutton; after it was merged into the old Shearson-Lehman in 1988, he set up his own bond-trading firm.

Dr. James John Cerda GM’66, Gainesville, Fla., Jan. 24.

Dr. Terry O. Lympus C’66 D’70, Warren, Pa., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Warren for 31 years; July 13. He was an active member of Penn’s Warren County Alumni Club and also served on the local secondary-schools committee.

Dr. Zvi Shpilner D’66, Lexington, Mass., a dentist; May 26.

Lawrence J. Naftulin C’67 G’73, Westfield, Mass., director of development at Westfield State College; June 9.

John H. Baer WG’68, Harrisburg, Pa.; retired director of the news service of the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare; July 26. For many years he was the state capitol correspondent for The Patriot.

Otho S. A. Sprague WG’68, Dallas, retired vice president with Quexco-RSR Corp.; July 24.

George W. Lewis WG’69, Myerstown, Pa.

Col. George F. Sawyer GEd’69, Avella, Pa., April 20. He had taught in the ROTC program at Penn.

Toni Young W’69, Philadelphia, June 27.

back to top

1970s

Dr. E. Gregory MacEwen V’70, Brooklyn, Wisc., professor and former associate dean for clinical affairs at the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Wisconsin at Madison; May 12. In 1992 he stepped down as associate dean in order to spend more time on oncology research. He also held appointments in the UW Comprehensive Cancer Center, the Wisconsin Primate Center, and the Institute on Aging. In 1973 Dr. MacEwen had been appointed head of the Donaldson-Atwood Cancer Center at the Animal Medical Center in New York, while also a research associate at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and medical director and a board member of the Humane Society of New York. In the field of veterinary oncology, he developed innovative cancer therapies for companion animals and people. He was a past president of the Veterinary Cancer Society. And he co-wrote a prominent textbook on clinical veterinary oncology. At the time of his death Dr. MacEwen was president-elect of the specialty of oncology of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine.

Dr. Toni Flores Fratto Gr’71, Geneva, N.Y., professor of American and women’s studies at Hobart & William Smith Colleges; Nov. 3, 1997.

Frank A. Willison GEd’71, Jamaica Plain, Mass., editor-in-chief of O’Reilly & Associates, publisher of computer books in Cambridge; July 30.

Nancy J. Allred CW’72, Corvallis, Ore., Dec. 11, 2000.

Edward P. Humphreys CGS’72, Reston, Va., April 11, 1998.

Dr. Jeanne E. Griffith G’72, Washington, former director of the science-resources studies division of the National Science Foundation; July 3.

Ronald F. Pejouhy C’73, Owls Head, Maine, a retired supervisor with the Maine Child Protection Services; July 13.

Gary M. Shue W’73, Williamstown, N.J., May 20.

John R. Peters WEv’74, Philadelphia, Nov. 4, 2000.

Dr. David E. Steflik C’74, Martinez, Ga., professor of surgery and director of research for orthopedic surgery at the Medical College of Georgia; March 24. He also was a professor of biology and anatomy in the School of Graduate Studies and he held an appointment in a local Veterans Affairs medical center. His research focused on bone and soft-tissue responses to implanted biomaterials.

Cpt. James L. Boydston WG’75, Naples, Fla., March 31, 2000.

Kenneth A. Carroll WG’75, West Chester, Pa., a technical director with the Scott Paper Co. for 24 years; June 29. Retiring in 1995, he founded an engineering-consulting company and became the building-codes inspector for Westtown.

Dr. Gopal K. Mehrotra G’75 Gr’80, Morris Plains, N.J., a former United Nations census adviser who was a business-development consultant to the Meridian Group in Ridgewood; July 4. Previously he was prominent in census work in India.

Dr. Hal A. Royal D’75, Philadelphia, a retired dentist who had maintained a practice in the Mt. Airy district for many years; June 29.

Dr. Jeanne Winternitz Sweeney Gr’75, Camp Hill, Pa., July 20. She had taught English as a second language in Central America.

Philip W. Savitz L’76, Falls Church, Va., a retired diplomat; June 10.

Bernice C. Schwebel SW’77, Phoenix, June 21.

back to top

1980s

Dr. Kenneth R. Dunmore Gr’80, Barrington, Ill., Nov. 1998.

Jane B. Kolter G’80, Stowe, Vt., July 3, 2000.

Joan F. Schlaepfer L’80, Union City, Calif., an attorney; April 8.

Mark Mcfadden W’82 WG’87, New York, a managing director with Dresdner, Kleinwort Wasserstein; June 29.

Richard L. Glessmann W’83, Pelham, N.Y., Nov. 6, 2000.

Dr. James V. Altieri D’84, Farmington, Conn., a dentist who had maintained a practice in West Hartford; July 2. He was chair of the Connecticut State Dental Association Peer Review Council, and he taught at the University of Connecticut dental school.

Mitchell L. Dorf L’86, Freehold, N.J., an attorney who specialized in labor and employment law; July 3.

Dr. Thurman Hornbuckle II V’87, Champaign, Ill., a veterinarian with the University of Illinois; March 30.

Shivaun A. Molloy GEd’89, Allentown, Pa., Dec. 31, 1999.

back to top

1990s

Dr. Arthur I. Hurvitz WG’90, Leonia, N.J., May 12, 2000.

back to top

2000s

C. Nicole Dickerson ASC’01, Cherry Hill, N.J., coordinator of undergraduate communications at the Annenberg School; July 15.

back to top

Faculty & Staff

Dr. John D. Alexander. See Class of 1947.

Dr. Esther Chilstrom-Meixner. See Class of 1932.

Dr. Joseph B. Dietz Jr., Chadds Ford, Pa., clinical professor of restorative dentistry and the clinical director of crown and sleeve-coping prosthesis at the School of Dental Medicine; July 3. He had taught at the University since 1962. He had also maintained a private practice in Wilmington from 1960 till last April. He co-wrote Telescopic Prosthetic Therapy (1977). Dr. Dietz served as president of the Delaware Academy of Medicine and on the board of the Philadelphia Academy of Stomatology. For some years he was a research consultant for W. L. Gore and Associates, developing materials for dental applications. An avid golfer, he wrote The History of the Wilmington Country Club, Its First Hundred Years.

David J. Goldberg. See Class of 1955.

Dr. Edwin L. Lame. See Class of 1933.

Dr. Peter B. Murray. See Class of 1962.

John H. McMichael. See Class of 1949.

Dr. J. Perlingiero Randall. See Class of 1942.

Col. George F. Sawyer. See Class of 1969.


Previous issue's obituaries | Nov/Dec Contents | Gazette home

Copyright 2001 The Pennsylvania Gazette Last modified 11/1/01

../1198/space%20holder

NOTIFICATIONS

Please send notifications of deaths of alumni directly to:
Alumni Records

University of Pennsylvania
3451 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

<record@ben.dev.upenn.edu>

Newspaper obits are appreciated.