Nov | Dec 2003

1921

1923

1924

1925

1927

1928

1929

1930

1931

1932

1933

1934

1935

1936

1937

1938

1939

1940

1941

1942

1943

1944

1945

1946

1947

1948

1949

1950

1951

1952

1953

1954

1955

 

 

1956

1957

1958

1959

1960

1961

1962

1963

1964

1965

1966

1967

1968

1969

1970

1971

1972

1973

1974

1975

1976

1977

1978

1979

1983

1985

1988

1991

1996

1997

1999

2002

Faculty & Staff

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1921 | Harry A. Altman WEv’21, Philadelphia, Jan. 26, 2000.

1923 | Josephine S. Razek Ed’23, New Orleans, Nov. 16, 2000.

Dr. F. William Sunderman M’23 Gr’29, Philadelphia, professor emeritus of pathology and laboratory medicine; March 9. He directed the chemistry division of the William Pepper Laboratory at Penn in the 1930s, developing methods for the measurement of blood cholesterol, glucose, and chloride. During the Second World War he was medical director of explosive research at Carnegie Institute of Technology and Los Alamos Laboratories, parts of the Manhattan Project. There he investigated the effects of nickel carbonyl on workers exposed in the making of atomic weapons. He developed an antidote for nickel-carbonyl poisoning, using himself as a human test subject. “I took the first dose,” he said. “I’d worked around the laboratory animals so much that I knew it would work.” Dr. Sunderman assisted in the setup of the medical department for Brookhaven National Laboratories and served as a medical consultant at the Redstone Arsenal from 1947 to 1969. He was also the department head of clinical pathology at the Communicable Disease Center in Atlanta. He worked at the Cleveland Clinic, the M.D. Anderson Hospital Cancer Center in Texas, and Emory University. In 1951 he became professor of medicine and director of the metabolic research division at Jefferson Medical College (later Thomas Jefferson University Hospital), where he investigated new techniques to diagnose diseases of the thyroid, adrenal, and other endocrine organs. Dr. Sunderman was the founder of the Association of Clinical Scientists. And he was also responsible for the standardization of hemoglobin measurements throughout the world. In 1938, during his convalescence from pulmonary tuberculosis, he practiced the violin; most summers thereafter, he would travel to Germany and Austria to perform on his Stradivarius with professional chamber musicians. He performed a violin duet with his son, a musician, at Carnegie Hall in 1998, and a violin solo at his alma mater, Gettysburg College, on his 100th birthday. Dr. Sunderman was the co-author of more than 300 scientific papers and numerous books on medicine, chamber music, and photography, along with an autobiography, A Time to Remember (1998), which was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize. He was the founding editor of The Annals of Clinical and Laboratory Science in 1971 and was working on the latest edition at the time of his death. He saw Halley’s Comet twice—as a youth with his father in 1910 and again while doing research in New Zealand 76 years later. In 1999, at age 101, he was recognized as America’s oldest worker, following a nationwide search by Experience Works, Inc.

Frances Drew Sutherland Ed’23, Brevard, N.C., a former high-school teacher in Westfield, N.J.; March 1. She was past president of the American Association of University Women, and remained active in support of the Transylvania County (N.C.) Library

Dr. Frederick T. Zimmerman C’23, New York, March 12, 1998.

back to top

1924 | Hildegarde F. Lewis Ed’24, Newtown Square, Pa., Aug. 29, 1998.

back to top

1925 | George H. Buterbaugh Ar’25, Salisbury, Conn., a retired architect who had worked for Charles A. Platt in New York, Paul Cret in Philadelphia, and Cram & Ferguson in Boston; Dec. 8, 2002. He and his wife were instrumental in the opening of the Holley-Williams House museum in Lakeville, Conn. Serving in the U.S. Naval Reserves during the Second World War, he earned the rank of lieutenant commander.

back to top

1927 | Edwin I. Becker W’27, Scottsdale, Ariz., Nov. 15, 2002.

Samuel E. Gilbert Ed’27, L’30, Philadelphia, a retired attorney; Aug.
20, 1998.

Harry D. Heaps WEv’27, Gladwyne, Pa., May 16, 1998.

back to top

1928 | Ralph K. Dugan W’28, Lansdale, Pa., Feb. 1, 2002.

Dr. Charles W. Johnson C’28, Boca Raton, Fla., May 27, 1999.

Charles C. Joseph W’28, Palm City, Fla., a retired attorney; Nov. 30, 2000.

Bessie S. Shaffer Ed’28, Wyncote, Pa., Oct. 8, 1998.

Dr. Ross E. Shrader C’28, Avon, Conn., Jan. 29, 2001.

Richard M. Snyder W’28 G’41, Tavernier, Fla., June 24, 2002.

Dr. George N. Sommer Jr. C’28 M’32 GM’39, Yardley, Pa., a retired thoracic surgeon and Army colonel; Feb. 6. During the Second World War, he served as chief of surgery with the U.S. Army Medical Corps in England, and as head of thoracic surgery for a network of 20 hospitals where he treated wounded soldiers transported from the battlefields of Normandy and prisoners of war captured by the Allied forces. Dr. Sommer completed active duty in 1946 but continued serving in the U.S. Army Reserve. When he returned from the war, he was presented with the Legion of Merit at Fort Dix; he rarely left his Bucks County home without the pin attached to his lapel or collar. Dr. Sommer was head of thoracic surgery at Trenton’s St. Francis Medical Center from 1939 until he retired in 1977, excluding his five years in the Army. A founder of the Pennsylvania Society of Thoracic Surgeons, he was a 58-year member of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia.

H. Dorn Stewart W’28, Lancaster, Pa., a principal and director at Ward Howell Associates International, a consulting firm specializing in executive recruitment, from 1963 until his retirement in 1975; Dec. 22, 2002. He was past president of the Barrett Division of Allied Chemical Corp., now Allied Signal, from 1958 to 1963. And he worked from 1929 to 1958 as a marketing manager for the floor and building materials division of Armstrong World Industries. He served as co-chair of the liaison committee of the American Institute of Architects and Producers Council and as president of several organizations devoted to building materials. At Penn he was president of the junior class and sat on the board of The Daily Pennsylvanian. He was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, the Friars Senior Society, and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. During his years at Penn he held a variety of jobs, including night clerk at the Covington Hotel and sports writer for The Public Ledger.

Dr. Emanuel Wender D’28, Brooklyn, N.Y., a retired dentist; Oct. 1, 1999.

Alma Powell White Ed’28, Greensboro, N.C., Dec. 18, 1999.

back to top

1929 | Sanford L. Gellner W’29, Omaha, Neb., Jan. 18.

Raymond J. Mahar W’29, Cleveland, a retired attorney; Jan. 3.

Anne Kneedler Mills Ed’29, Linwood, N.J.; May 2, 2001. Her husband, Jack W. Mills C’38, died Oct. 26 of that year.

Dr. Mortimer Obrieght D’29, Rockville Centre, N.Y., a retired dentist; Aug. 30, 1998.

Ralph L. Peck Jr. W’29, Hilton Head Island, S.C., Oct. 25, 2000.

Owen Eugene Penney W’29, Taneytown, Md., a valuation engineer and budgeteer for the Capitol Transit Co. in Washington for 35 years; March 15. Chair of the camp committee for Camp Fire Girls, he was also active in the Boy Scouts., He was a founding member of the Taneytown Baptist Church. At Penn he was a member the varsity crew, and a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

back to top

1930 | I. Meyer Abeles EE’30, East Brunswick, N.J., a mechanical engineer, for more than 34 years, in the ordinance department of General Electric Co. in Schenectady, N.Y. and Pittsfield, Mass.; Nov. 8, 2001. A chessmaster, he won the 1938 Schenectady Chess Championship. He had been a member of the Berkshire Klezmer Society, playing mandolin and violin, and had organized the Senior Citizens Poetry Group in Pittsfield.

Henry B. Brown Jr. CE’30 GCE’32, Harleysville, Pa., a civil engineer; Sept. 1, 2002. He was vice-president of sales at Superior Tube Company, where he was employed for 40 years, retiring in 1974. He had served on the War Production Board during the Second World War. At Penn he was a member of Theta XI fraternity, and Mask & Wig.

G. Allan Dash W’30, G’35, Jenkintown, Pa., Jan. 4, 2000.

Frederick C. Dirks W’30, Bethesda, Md., Nov. 5, 1998.

Albert Griffin W’30 G’33, Winter Haven, Fla., the retired president and vice-chair of the Exchange National Bank of Winter Haven; Feb. 17. Raised in a family of bankers and Wharton graduates, he was an instructor at Wharton until 1939, then he became a professor of banking and finance at Emory University. His son is Albert Griffin Jr. W’57.

Dr. William H. Hoffman C’30, Wilmington, Del., April 5, 2002.

C. Warner Koenig W’30, Birmingham, Ala., a retired manager of the southern district for General Refractories, where he worked for 47 years; Sept. 29, 2001. At Penn he was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon.

Dr. Julius Levine G’30, Cherry Hill, N.J., Oct. 30, 1999.

Edith Gould Masters OT’30, Bangor, Pa., Jan. 6, 1999.

Stella Goodman Minick G’30, Atlanta, an artist who gained national and international recognition for the hand-woven fabric designs created at her studios in New York and Savannah, Ga.; March 1. During the Second World War she was chair of Bundles for Britain and Bundles for America, and was recognized for having devoted more than 3,500 hours to U.S.O. work as senior hostess as Camp Ritchie, Md. As president of the garden club in Waynesboro, Ga., she increased membership from 18 to 250 members.

Milton B. Myers C’30, Wyncote, Pa., July 23, 2002.

Mildred Stern Orloff Ed’30, Atlanta, Nov. 8, 1999.

Stockton W. Townsend WEv’30, Cedarhurst, N.Y., July 1, 1999.

back to top

1931 | Mabel Bosler Burris Ed’31, Manalapan, N.J., a retired mathematics teacher in the public schools of Johnstown, Pa., for 39 years; March 5. At her retirement in 1975 she was recognized by staff and students of the high school as a dedicated teacher who “always persuaded the reluctant learner and encouraged the scholar.” At Penn she was a member of Alpha Xi Delta sorority. She was the first woman to attend the Wharton School. Mabel was a life member of the American Association of University Women, and had served as superintendent of the Sunday school, a deacon, and a trustee of Memorial Baptist Church, Johnstown.

William A. Carrodus WEv’31, Newtown Square, Pa., Jan. 8.

Anna Hawkes Hutton Ed’31 L’34, Bristol, Pa., founder and former chair of the board of the Washington Crossing Foundation, a non-profit organization that provides scholarships to outstanding students with a commitment to government service; March 10. She was a past chair of Historic Fallsington, Inc., which is dedicated to the preservation of the colonial village in Falls Township, Pa., and past president of both the Distinguished Daughters of Pennsylvania and the Historical Foundation of Pennsylvania. And she was a former commissioner of the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission. Her books, published from 1948 to 1972, include George Washington Crossed Here, Portrait of Patriotism, and The Pennsylvanian. Philadelphia’s Walnut Street Theater produced her play, The Decision, in 1976. Anna was the first woman to receive the Freedom Leadership Award from the Freedom Foundation at Valley Forge. She received numerous other awards, including the medal of honor from Daughters of the American Revolution; the Legion of Valor of the United States of America, and the Patriotism Award presented by the Philadelphia Flag Association. She served on the commission for Washington Crossing Park for more than 50 years.

Louis H. Labovitz Ed’31, Philadelphia, Oct. 1, 1998.

Dr. Abraham Lamstein D’31, Woodbury, N.Y., a retired dentist; Sept. 3, 1999.

Robert A. Lauer W’31, Cincinnati, Oct. 13, 1999.

back to top

1932 | William S. Balderston W’32, Silver Spring, Md., July 17, 2001.

Elizabeth P. Brumbaugh Ed’32, Lansdowne, Pa., Aug. 21, 2001.

Marvin B. Denning C’32, Columbus, Ohio, Nov. 24, 2002.

Malcolm M. Flash C’32, Kissimmee, Fla., Sept. 3, 1999.

Louis Freedman WEv’32 W’34, North Wales, Pa., March 12.

Paul E. Friend ME’32, Scottsdale, Ariz., a retired engineer employed by Mobil Oil for 30 years; Feb. 25.

Herman Goodheim W’32, West Hills, Calif., Aug. 27, 1999.

Edward B. Leach W’32, Winthrop, Mass., Oct. 1, 1999.

Dr. Harold A. Nadelson C’32, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Aug. 14, 1998.

Randolph S. Rothschild W’32 L’35; Baltimore, a retired attorney; Feb. 27.

Louis B. Schwartz W’32 L’35, San Francisco, emeritus professor of law at the University of California at San Francisco who helped bring about significant changes in the penal codes of many states; Jan. 23. After two years as an officer in the U.S. Navy, he served in Washington with the Federal Securities and Exchange Commission and the Justice Department, joining Penn’s Law faculty in 1946. During the mid-1950s he served on a panel that recommended repealing “fair trade” laws directed against cut-rate retail sales to the public. Although he opposed such retail regulations, he disagreed with some of the panel’s findings, arguing that they would weaken antitrust law in general. In 1962 the American Law Institute endorsed a model penal code drawn up by Professor Schwartz and Professor Herbert Wechsler of Columbia University; they attempted to take a fresh look at state criminal law and set out a clear and consistent framework to which all laws should conform. The code, regarded at the time as one of the most important recent works of legal scholarship, resulted in about 35 states amending or codifying their laws to bring them closer in line with its provisions. Professor Schwartz was later director of the National Commission on the Reform of Federal Criminal Law, and was a visiting professor at Harvard and Columbia universities, and the universities of Cambridge and London. His daughters are Johanna Schwartz CW’65 and Victoria Schwartz CW’68.

Herman C. Spahr WEv’32, Port Charlotte, Fla., an employee of Aetna Life & Casualty Co. for 38 years; February 25.

Janet Fisher Swope Ed’32, Wilmette, Ill., June 10, 2000.

Dr. Carl H. Vold C’32 D’33, Newtown Square, Pa., a retired dentist; Jan. 13. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army Dental Corps during the Second World War.

back to top

1933 | Frederick P. H. Dimond ME’33, Philadelphia, Nov. 13, 2001.

Samuel Fallk L’33, Scranton, Pa., a retired attorney; June 5, 2000.

Arthur W. Hoch W’33, Hatboro, Pa., Feb. 12.

Louis A. Kober CE’33, Dresher, Pa., Feb. 6. He owned and operated Reiter Engineering Co., a civil- and mechanical-engineering firm in Philadelphia and later Hatboro, for 50 years, retiring in 1980. He was a member of the first graduating class of Simon Gratz High School (1929).

George H. Martens Jr. W’33, Camden, Maine, Dec. 29, 2000.

Dr. Jack A. Packtor D’33, Miami, a retired dentist; Feb. 14, 1999.

Theodore V. Sampson WEF’33, Manteca, Calif., Jan. 13, 2002.

back to top

1934 | Ralph C. Byxbee W’34, Hayden Lake, Idaho, a retired real estate broker; Jan. 31.

Dr. Roland J. Christy L’34, Spring House, Pa., a retired attorney; Dec. 6, 2002.

Walter A. Chudson C’34, Rye, N.Y., Aug. 7, 2002.

Rae Konowitch Gliedman Ed’34, New York, Jan. 29. She was the wife of the late Howard Gliedman C’33, and mother of Kenneth Gliedman C’68 and grandmother of Katherine Gliedman C’98.

Frederick R. Hendrickson C’34, Vero Beach, Fla., a retired government-contract attorney with Bell Aerospace in Buffalo, N.Y.; Dec. 17.

Jean Stitt Hornsby DH’34, Murrysville, Pa., Dec. 30, 2002.

James B. Lovett W’34, Clinton, Conn., Nov. 27, 2001.

Dr. Louis J. Lubin D’34, Albany, N.Y., a retired dentist; June 22, 2001.

Alfred E. Pfeifer W’34, Ridgefield, Conn., retired district supervisor with the Firestone Rubber Co.; Jan. 12.

Alex Satinsky C’34 L’37, Philadelphia, a retired attorney; Feb. 21.

Joseph P. Schaeffer WEv’34, Philadelphia, Nov. 11, 2001.

Henry B. Springer Jr. ME’34, Jamison, Pa., Sept. 26, 2002.

John B. Stevens ME’34, Lansdale, Pa., Jan. 13, 2002.

Marie Zellfelder Vogan Ed’34, Lansdale, Pa., April 18, 2002.

Thomas Wistar Jr. Ar’34, New London, N.H., a retired architect who also worked for the design and research division of the National Park Service; March 5. He maintained a private architectural practice for residential and commercial properties in Philadelphia and New Hampshire. His numerous community activities included serving as past president of the Indian Rights Association in Philadelphia and the New London Boys Club, an organization founded by his father-in-law in 1930. He was chair of New London Hospital Day and a founder and board president of the Van Wyck Association of Philadelphia, which presented him with the Van Wyck Award for his many years of service. An avid cricket player while a student at Haverford College, he was a founder of the C. C. Morris Cricket Library there. During the Second World War he served on the U.S. Naval Board of Inspection and Survey, which was responsible for all the fighting ships being built in naval yards on the East Coast.

back to top

1935 | Charles Banowitz W’35, Philadelphia, Dec. 11, 2002.

Dr. Edmund J. Biancarelli C’35, Jessup, Pa., a retired physician; April 20, 2000.

Sarah Lewis Brauer DH’35, Latrobe, Pa., June 7, 2000.

Jacques B. Schonbar C’35, New York, Dec. 25, 2000.

Clifford W. Slaybaugh EE’35, Princeton, N.J., Aug. 29, 2001.

back to top

1936 | Dr. J. Griffiths Barry GEE’36 GrE’38, Belmont, Mass., Nov. 15, 1999.

Dr. Edwin C. Deibler C’36, Rockwall, Tex., Feb. 2.

Stuart B. Goldthorpe W’36, Canton, Ohio, Nov. 14, 1998.

Dr. Albert I. Lansing C’36, Pittsburgh, Jan. 29, 2002.

Dr. Joseph F. Leary D’36, Conshohocken, Pa., a retired dentist and local historian; March 6. He had served stateside in the U.S. Army Dental Corps before being discharged as a captain in 1946, and went on to practice dentistry in Conshohocken for 46 years, retiring in 1982. A lifelong resident there, he co-founded the Conshohocken Historical Society; his father and grandfather had been active in the early formation of the borough. In the 1936 Penn yearbook he listed the important things in his life as “God, family, and love of Conshohocken.”

William J. Prichard Ch’36, West Brandywine, Pa., a research chemist who worked on the Manhattan Project during the Second World War; Feb. 21. During his early career he was a researcher at the Booth, Garrett & Blair chemical laboratory in Philadelphia, and then worked for the predecessor companies of Atofina Chemicals research laboratory until his retirement in the mid-1970s. During the war, he used his expertise in analyzing the ore that made up the steel for armor plating on ships built at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. He also worked as a civilian chemist with the former Pennwalt Chemical Co. as part of the Manhattan Project, researching fluorspar, used in the production of uranium fuel. According to his son, he had no idea why he was researching uranium for the U.S. government—until the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. A self-taught woodworker, he built a 13-foot sailboat in his garage.

Dr. Frank J.H. Rogers Jr. C’36 D’39, Milford, Conn., a retired dentist; June 14, 2002.

Stephen Sluka WEv’36 CCC’46 G’48, Sarasota, Fla., Dec. 30, 2001.

Frederic L. Thwing WG’36, Bloomington, Minn., Dec. 26, 2002.

Harry Vonoehsen W’36, Prather, Calif., April 7, 2002.

Raymond J. Wolf Jr. W’36, Ambler, Pa., Nov. 17, 2002.

back to top

1937 | Preston G. Atkins C’37, Alexandria, Va., June 16, 2002.

Morse Ginsberg EE’37, New Haven, Conn., July 25, 2002.

Ralph R. Luddecke Jr. CE’37, Houston, Aug. 9, 1998.

Frank T. Moffa Jr. WEv’37, King of Prussia, Pa., Sept. 14, 2000.

John R. Norton C’37, Mohrsville, Pa., Feb. 9, 2001.

Edward R. Smith W’37, Butler, Pa., October 16, 2002.

Robert W. Spicker W’37 L’40, Seminole, Fla., June 22, 2002.

Dr. Benjamin F. Stearn V’37, Westminster, Colo., a retired veterinarian who had maintained a practice in Haddon Heights, N.J., for many years; Aug. 23, 2002. As a volunteer he was instrumental in preserving and maintaining the MacGregor working ranch, now on the Registry of Historic Places, where high-school students learn the ecology and history of Colorado. During the Second World War, as an officer in the U.S. Coast Guard, he helped set up canine border patrols; he was later assigned to the U.S. Navy and sent to China to assist its cavalry.

J. Allman Stewart CCC’37, Mount Holly, N.J., a retired research technician who participated in studies that discovered a system of veins surrounding the spinal column; March 16. He spent his entire career at Penn School of Medicine at, where he conducted research in the physiology and anatomy departments, retiring in 1976. In the 1950s he assisted anatomy professor Oscar V. Batson in his perfecting a technique that revealed a system of vertebral veins, now called Baxton’s plexus. Until about 10 years ago J. Allman lived in a home he built on Rancocas Creek in Burlington County, N.J. Having read about house construction while living in Philadelphia in the mid-1950s, but with no experience in carpentry, he and his family camped out in a tent during the summers while he constructed the home on four acres of woods. According to his son, “he hand-cut everything in that place, nailed everything, and sanded everything.” They moved into the home in 1960. He also served for many years as an informal pastor of Rancocas Creek, leading services and teaching Bible studies at an open-air church near his home.

Albert J. Wentz GEd’37, Drexel Hill, Pa., a retired teacher, principal, and real estate agent; March 6. He was a teacher for the school district of Springfield Township, Pa., for 35 years, before retiring as director of industrial arts in 1976. He also served as a teacher and principal for other schools in Delaware County and worked part-time in the laboratory for Sun Co., for 38 years, where he became involved with the Sun day camp from the 1950s to the 1990s. After retiring from education he was a real estate broker for 18 years.

back to top

1938 | Keron D. Chance L’38, Bridgeton, N.J., an attorney; Feb. 19.

Dr. Morris Cover V’38, Chestertown, Md., retired director of veterinary services and regulatory compliance for Ralston Purina; Jan. 28. Retiring in 1985, he continued with the company as a consultant until 1992. He also consulted as a research coordinator for the South Eastern Poultry and Egg Association. In 1997 the U.S. Department of Agriculture honored him for his work on avian diseases.

Louise Geauque Fowler Ed’38, Downingtown, Pa., March 6.

Hermione Curiel Friend CW’38, Birmingham, Ala., Jan. 20. Devoted to promoting the cultural life of the city, she had help establish the Alabama Symphony, and had served on the board of the Birmingham Museum of Art. She also had served as chair of the advisory board of the Family Court of Jefferson County. Having married while in college, she completed her bachelor’s at the University of Alabama in 1968.

Richard W. Goslin Jr. L’38, Medford, N.J., the retired vice president of Irving Trust Co. in New York; March 8. He had served on the board of the Ho-Ho-Kus library.

Chester C. Hilinski W’38 L’41, Hilton Head, S.C., a partner specializing in international taxation at the law firm of Dechert, Price & Rhoads in Philadelphia for 41 years; March 23. He served as president of the U.S. branch of the International Fiscal Association in Rotterdam and was a trustee of the Connelly Foundation for 28 years.

Cleon H. Kendig WEF’38, Lafayette Hill, Pa., retired implant construction supervisor for Western Electric in Muhlenberg; Feb. 5.

Dr. William B. Mather M’38, Wilkes-Barre, Pa., a retired physician with the McCosh Infirmary at Princeton University; Jan. 22.

Jack W. Mills C’38, Linwood, N.J., Oct. 26, 2001. His wife, Anne Kneedler Mills Ed’29, died earlier that year, on May 2.

Leonard V. Morris WEv’38, Waterford, N.J., May 22, 1999.

Jack F. Pearse W’38, Hillsborough, Calif., retired head of a group of export companies; Jan. 27. He was a rear admiral in the U.S. Naval Reserve.

Raymond W. Sawyer Jr. WEF’38, Clemson, S.C., Sept. 14, 2000.

Dr. William B. Smith Jr., D’38, Slingerlands, N.Y., a retired dentist; July 1, 2001.

Dr. George N. Stein C’38 GM’47, Clearwater, Fla., emeritus professor of radiology at the University; Feb. 26. His wife, Hazel G. Stein SW’77, died in 1996; two of his sons are Stephen G. Stein W’72 and Dr. Eric J. Stein M’79 GM’85, who is married to Dr. Tina R. Weingrad GM’85.

back to top

1939 | Virginia Rosendale Baughan DH’39, South Sterling, Pa., Feb. 20, 2002.

Constance Schuessele Elwell Ed’39, Batavia, Ill., March 7. She had pursued a brief business career before raising a family.

Arthur C. Goldstein W’39, Miami, April 28, 2000.

Alan Levin Jr. ME’39, Wynnewood, Pa., May 27, 2000.

Frank L. Reed W’39, Morrisville, Pa., April 5, 2000.

Harry L. Shoemaker W’39, Baton Rouge, La., a supply and marketing executive of Exxon Refinery for 43 years; March 13. He coached little-league baseball in the CYO league from the late 1950s through the 1970s, winning many league championships; he served as its commissioner of baseball, 1979-82, and was named its Man of the Year in 1980. He had served in the U.S. Army during the Second World War and remained in the U.S. Army Reserve.

Verage Tarzian EE’39 GEE’47, Abington, Pa., Nov. 6, 2001.

back to top

1940 | John W. Cauler WEF’40, Cinnaminson, N.J., July 19, 2002.

Hon. Joseph W. Chandler C’40, Tarzana, Calif., a retired judge, Feb. 13.

Leon Crane ME’40, Philadelphia, Pa., March 26, 2002.

Frank M. Cushman G’40, Sharon, Mass., head of a transportation-law and management-consulting firm in Sharon and Canton for over 50 years; Nov. 15, 2002. He pioneered the concept of Transportation Cost Control, and he promoted the concept of logistics for civilians when only the military was actively utilizing logistics theory and practice. He appeared before the Federal Interstate Commerce Commission and never lost a case. He taught at Northeastern University and founded its Transportation and Traffic Management Institute. Frank Cushman wrote Manual of Transportation Law (1951) and Transportation for Management (1953), and co-wrote Handbook of Business Administration (1967). He was a founding member of the American Society for Traffic and Transportation. And he served on his local zoning appeals board for several years.

Jay Dreyfus W’40, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Dec. 17, 2001.

William T. Everett WEv’40, Columbus, Ind., May 19, 2002.

Dr. Harold O Horlacher C’40 D’42, Carbondale, Pa., a retired dentist; Oct. 27, 1999.

Barbara Tuttle Howell DH’40, East Moriches, N.Y., May 5, 2000.

Margery S. Jakob Ed’40 Ged’41, Houston, June 3, 2002.

David G. Kangesser W’40, Cleveland, April 6, 2002.

Leonard G. Kuch WEv’40, Blue Bell, Pa., Nov. 10, 2001.

James J. MacArthur WEv’40, Upper Darby, Pa., Dec. 15, 2002.

Samuel McCreery Jr. W’40, Alexandria, Va., a vice president of Superior Mold and Die Co., Springfield, Va., during the 1980s and early 1990s; Feb. 6. Earlier he had worked in sales for industrial manufacturing businesses in Pennsylvania and Washington. During the Second World War he served in intelligence with the U.S. Army in North Africa.

William K. Nasser WEF’40, Scranton, Pa., June 25, 2002.

Marion Scott Sargent DH’40, Alma, Mich., a retired dental hygienist with the Aliquippa school district; Dec. 31, 2002. She was also a former deacon and elder of the Woodlawn Presbyterian Church and First United Presbyterian Church of Aliquippa.

William J. Southwell FA’40 G’41, Abington, Pa., Jan. 10, 2002.

Dr. Ernest H. Williams M’40, Greenville, S.C., Aug. 17, 2002.

LeRoy Wittemire Jr. W’40, Mansfield, Ohio, a retired cashier in the accounts payable department of Mansfield Tire and Rubber Co.; Jan. 12. He was a past president of the Mansfield Aviation Club. During the Second World War he served as a captain in the U.S. Army for five years, and was stationed in Fiji, Bougainville, and Manila.

E. Howard York III C’40, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a retired advertising executive; March 1. He began his career at Doremus & Co., an advertising and public relations firm now part of Omnicom, becoming a company vice president and regional manager in Philadelphia.. He was past chair of the Philadelphia council of the American Association of Advertising Agencies. After 30 years on the board of Lankenau Hospital in Wynnewood, he was named emeritus trustee in 1988. At Saunders House, a nursing facility in Wynnewood, he served as a board member for more than 20 years and was chair of the development committee. E. Howard York was president of his Class, a member of the Mask & Wig club, and served on the Penn tennis team, for which he once played in a doubles tournament disguised as a woman. A lifelong tennis player, he competed in national and international competitions, including Wimbledon, and in 1938 he and his father were finalists in the national father-and-son doubles tournament. During the Second World War he was awarded the Silver Star and Bronze Star for his service in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific. When U.S. forces invaded Saipan and the Marshall Islands in 1944, he was a beach master supervising landing craft under enemy fire, earning a Purple Heart after being wounded by shrapnel. He later led underwater-demolition teams in the invasion of the Palau Islands.

back to top

1941 | Charles C. Ammlung Jr. WEv’41, Lancaster, Pa., July 26, 2002.

Anthony P. Briglia, CE’41, Trafalgar, Ind., Jan. 27, 2002.

Miriam Brown Brogan CW’41, Wynnewood, Pa., Aug. 1, 2001.

Richard A Holmes II C’41, Salisbury, N.C., Feb. 25, 1999.

John H. Kelter WEv’41, Spring Hill, Fla., Oct. 27, 1999.

Prof. Jon D. Longaker C’41, Ashland, Va., July 26, 2002.

Dr. Alton J. Novak D’41, Haverford, Pa., a retired dentist who had taught at Penn’s School of Dental Medicine for almost 30 years; Feb. 20. He was an instructor in oral medicine at Penn 1941-49, an associate professor from 1949 to 1965, and an assistant professor at the dental school until 1970. Dr. Novak maintained a private dentistry practice for more than 60 years. He had served in the U.S. Army with the rank of major. Barbara J. Novak Wilkes DH’68, is his daughter.

John H. Osborne W’41, Malvern, Pa., retired president of Osborne Dynamics, a regional packaging sales company; Sept. 12, 2002. He served in the U.S. Navy as a lieutenant commander during the Second World War, landing troops for the North Africa Campaign.

Katherine M. Stanton Stratton CW’41, Westtown, Pa., a former medical-records librarian, who with her husband managed a 100-acre farm; March 1. She was employed by Graduate Hospital, Middlesex General Hospital, and the American Red Cross before her marriage; thereafter she helped maintain Wynoor Farm, which combined land from her own and her husband’s families, and became known for its sweet corn.

back to top

1942 | Josephine C. Camarota DH’42, Reading, Mass., May 5, 2001.

Cdr. Anthony T. Capriotti ChE’42, Severna Park, Md., Sept. 30, 2002.

Bernard J. Cohen C’42 L’49, Elkins Park, Pa., a retired attorney; June 10, 2001.

Norva T. Cummings L’42, Blue Bell, Pa., a retired attorney; June 4, 1998.

H. Gilbert Daley Jr. W’42, Gladwyne, Pa., a former steel company owner and retired real estate agent; Feb. 5. As a gunnery commander on the aircraft carriers USS Cabot and USS Ranger, he participated in naval battles in the South Pacific during the Second World War. After his discharge he joined his father’s firm, Sweet Steel Co., later becoming president of the company, which he sold in the 1960s. He then became a real estate agent. As a member of the Ventnor (N.J.) Beach Patrol, in the late 1940s he won the rowing competition championship several times.

James A. Gavin WEv’42, Collingswood, N.J., May 16, 2002.

George A. Hagerty EE’42, GEE’48, WG’49, Millbrook, N.Y., Oct. 14, 1998.

Dr. Robert W. Hyatt M’42, Waterville, Maine, a retired physician; July 11, 2002.

James B. Kelley WEv’42, Haddonfield, N.J., Dec. 25, 2002.

Myra Demchick Levy CW’42, Allentown, Pa., a retired substitute teacher for the Allentown school district; Feb. 6. She was a life trustee and campaign chair of the women’s division of the Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley, which named her Woman of the Year in 1988. Her husband of 60 years is Morton R. Levy W’39, and their children are Judith Levy Cohen Roberts CW’68 and Richard J. Levy C’71. She was sister of Selma Demchick E. Fishman FA’48 and the daughter of Israel Demchick Ar’15, a Philadelphia architect.

Sarah J. Luginbuhl Ed’42 GEd’43, Levittown, N.Y., April 27, 2001.

Dr. Arthur McGeorge Jr. ChE’42 Gr’51, Wilmington, Del., Nov. 30, 1998.

David J. Moylan Jr. C’42, Wayne, Pa., Sept. 23, 1999.

John W. Newcombe C’42, Saunderstown, R.I., Jan. 29, 1999.

Justin H. Utal CE’42, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Oct. 13, 1999.

Henry P. Weymann ChE’42, Gulf Breeze, Fla., Oct. 15, 1998. At Penn he was a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

Dr. Albert L. Williams C’42 Gr’50, Ormond Beach, Fla., April 21, 2000.

back to top

1943 | Catherine S. Gair Ed’43, Wasilla, Alaska, Sept. 13, 2002.

Donald J. Graham W’43, Lynbrook, N.Y., April 1, 2001.

Joseph J. Heimbach L’43, Evans, Ga., Jan. 25. He retired from the DuPont Company in Wilmington, Del., after a 37-year career there.

Shirley Krasnoff Howard DH’43, Boynton Beach, Fla., Jan. 11.

Bernard Herbert Karklin W’43, Palm Springs, Calif., Nov. 2, 2002.

Bertram Lipschutz W’43, Narberth, Pa., a retired businessman; Feb. 13. Following his service in the U.S. Army during the Second World War, he operated Record Industrial Co., in King of Prussia, which provided industrial and safety clothing to Fortune 500 companies. He was a founding member of White Manor Country Club and served as its first treasurer.

Walter S. Marine W’43, Philadelphia, retired president of Capital Pants Co.; Feb. 11.

Dr. Brooke Roberts M’43 GM’50, Bryn Mawr, Pa., emeritus professor of surgery, who served as a vascular surgeon at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for 40 years; Feb. 23. At his retirement in 1983, he was chief of the vascular surgery division at the hospital and director of Penn’s fellowship in peripheral vascular surgery; he worked in the hospital’s surgery clinic and continued to teach anatomy for several years. He helped develop innovative surgical treatments for aortic aneurysms and obstructed femoral and carotid arteries, and advocated the use of angioplasty as a less-invasive treatment for vascular disease. According to his son, Thomas B. Roberts L’79, Dr. Roberts was known for technical excellence in the operating room and a warm, confident bedside manner. A surgical research laboratory at HUP was named for him in 1985, and a surgical chair at the Medical School is to be established in his name. Dr. Roberts was chair of the Medical Board at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 1969-71, and served as acting chair of the Department of Surgery, 1981-83. In 1982 he received the Strittmatter Award from the Philadelphia County Medical Society for his contribution to medicine in Philadelphia. During the Second World War he served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps.

Moses Siegel GME’43, Woodbine, N.J., Jan. 30, 1998.

Dr. Theodore S. Sloane D’43, a retired dentist; West Palm Beach, Fla., March 27, 1999.

Arcola M. Woelfel Ed’43, Fair Lawn, N.J., Dec. 9, 2002.

back to top

1944 | Dr. Winthrop E. Brielman V’44, Pittsfield, Mass., a retired veterinarian who also served on the Mass. state board of examiners in veterinary medicine; March 8. At Penn he was valedictorian of his class; and he graduated the same year as his sister, Dr. Marguerite Brielman Gulick V’44. He entered private practice with his veterinarian father, specializing in large-animal medicine. Dr. Brielman served in the U.S. Army Veterinarian Corps from after graduation until he retired in 1982. He was senior medical coordinator at the U.S. Army medical treatment facility at Camp Drumm in Watertown, N.Y. For many years he was state veterinarian for Western Massachusetts.

Geraldine Moore Crane Ed’44, Hampton, N.J., Nov. 3, 2000.

Dr. Ross S. Funch C’44, Lansdale, Pa., Dec. 20, 2002.

Jessie M. Glass Ed’44, Lancaster, Pa., who worked in nursing for 27 years; March 1. She had been an instructor in nursing at the University of Pittsburgh.

William M. Myers C’44, Glasgow, Ky., July 10, 2001.

Dr. Benjamin J. Patton C’44 Gr’55, Damascus, Md., Sept. 23, 1998.

Esther S. Schwartz CW’44, Philadelphia, March 19, 1998.

Dr. Stanley G. Seton C’44, Palm Beach, Fla., Jan. 22, 2002.

G. Gordon Urquhart ChE’44, Gilbertsville, Pa., Oct. 14, 2002.

Gertrude D. Westcott OT’44, Kennedyville, Md., Aug. 24, 2000.

Sidney J. Zywotow EE’44, West Chester, Pa., Feb. 25, 2002.

back to top

1945 | Edith Farley Brown CW’45 GEd’63, Philadelphia, April 29, 1999.

Dr. Charles N. Christensen M’45 GM’49, Indianapolis, July 8, 2002.

Allen R. Greenlaw Jr ME’45, Lansdale, Pa., a retired business executive with the former Philadelphia-based Pennwalt Corp.; March 2. During the Second World War he served aboard an aircraft carrier in the Pacific Theater. In 1954 he and his wife were simultaneously stricken with polio: although both survived, he was left with limited use of his legs. Equipped with braces and crutches he was able to resume his career in domestic and international travel, becoming president of the Sharples Stokes division of Pennwalt Corp, where he worked for 42 years.

Ephraim R. Mantz Ged’45, Philadelphia, Oct. 28, 2001.

Mary McCabe Murray Ed’45, Ocean City, N.J., Aug. 8, 2001.

Col. Martin S. Oster C’45, Hollywood, Fla., May 31, 2002.

back to top

1946 | Margery G. Button OT’46, Durham, N.C., March 31, 1999.

Aaron Cohen W’46, Lancaster, Pa., retired president and co-owner, with his wife, of Lestz & Company; March 12. He was also past president of Sales and Marketing Executives in Lancaster, and was a former board member of Temple Beth El. During the Second World War he served as a meteorologist with the U.S. Army in India.

Manuel J. Gomez L’46, Ventura, Calif., a retired attorney, June 28, 2001.

Dr. Raymond W. Hillyard M’46 GM’50, Jacksonville, Fla., June 29, 2000.

Marguerite C. Millard CW’46, Marlton, N.J., Dec. 10, 2002.

Alan M. Moskowitz W’46, Bala Cynwyd, Pa., a certified public accountant and Jewish scholar; Feb. 26. Although he remained active in the accounting practice he had established in 1953, he was also a scholar of Jewish history and a collector of art and antiques. As a member of the Jewish Genealogical Society and Society of Crypto-Jews, he researched the history of Jews who were forced to convert to Christianity during the Inquisition. He was a founding member of Temple Beth Hillel-Beth El in Wynnewood, and served for more than 50 years as treasurer of Har Jehuda Cemetery in Drexel Hill, which had been founded by his grandfather. A member of Mensa, he was also a gifted chess player, who often played blindfolded.

G. Robert Stallfort C’46, Round Pond, Maine, Feb. 27, 1999.

back to top

1947 | Henry A. Allen W’47, Little Rock, Ark., Nov. 18, 2000.

Dr. Sydney J. Allman GM’47, Pompano Beach, Fla., June 10, 2001.

Marion Schatz Barros CW’47, Glenside, Pa., Jan. 1.

Richard C Bostwick C’47, Monmouth Junction, N.J., Jan. 18, 2002.

Jane Broeck Gay OT’47, Kennett Square, Pa., Aug. 18, 1998.

Dr. Arnold V. Giusini C’47, Philadelphia, Oct. 5, 1998.

Leon C. Goldberg W’47, Bensalem, Pa., May 15, 2002.

Robert J. Howarth W’47, Norristown, Pa., Dec. 20, 2001.

Franklin T. Hughes W’47, Bluffton, S.C., Feb. 28, 2000.

Marie Porreca Lelli Ed’47 GEd’47, Broomall, Pa., Aug. 25, 2002.

Irma Moreau Miller DH’47, Lafayette, La., Dec. 15, 1999.

Cesare A. Protto ChE’47, Wilmington, Del., May 1, 1999.

Barbara A. Sigmond G’47, Philadelphia, Nov. 3, 2001.

Jane M. Watkins CW’47, Bethel Park, Pa., Sept. 29, 2000.

Joan Sutton Wilson Ed’47, Greensburg, Pa., a retired kindergarten teacher and active civic volunteer; June 22, 2002. After teaching kindergarten in Philadelphia for four years, she took time off to raise a family, returning to the field of education in 1971. She started a private kindergarten before becoming a teacher for the school district in Hempfield, Pa., from which she retired in 1987. Among her many volunteer activities, she did fundraising for American Field Service, the international student-exchange program; and she helped establish a library at East Hempfield Elementary School. She was a dedicated leader in the Girl Scouts, remaining in touch for years with young women who had been members of her troop.

back to top

1948 | Edmond J. Centone Ed’48, Newtown Square, Pa., Jan. 9.

Ira R. Davidson Jr. W’48, Napa, Calif., June 4, 2002.

Dr. Richard W. Gunn GM’48, Kansas City, Mo., a retired physician; Nov. 28, 2002.

John J. Kelley WEv’48 CGS’58, Newtown Square, Pa., Jan. 24, 2000.

George D. McKinney CCC’48, Dallas, March 2. He had served as an aviator in the U.S. Navy.

Leona Peffer Moore CW’48, Wyncote, Pa., May 2, 2000.

Dr. John G. Parres GEd’48 Gr’55, Austin, Tex., an educator for 38 years; Feb. 22. He began his career in 1939, as a teacher and basketball coach in McHenry, Ky. In 1946 he accepted a teaching position with the Philadelphia school system, where he remained until being appointed director of research and publications for Delaware’s public-instruction department in 1955. In 1963 he accepted the position of specialist in legislative statistics with the U.S. Office of Education in Washington. He returned to Delaware as a director of research and planning for the Wilmington school district, retiring in 1980. Dr. Parres also taught graduate courses at the University of Delaware from 1956 to 1973. And he served as a visiting professor at the University of Maine and as adjunct professor at Southwest Texas State University He was the president of the school study council in Delaware during the 1960s, where he authored the first bill that called for the equalization of educational opportunity in the state’s public schools, legislation that prefigured a funding system that provided for the distribution of state funds to school districts in inverse proportion to the per-pupil wealth of the district. And he was a vice-president for education of the state’s congress of parents and teachers, 1960-63.

Jack N. Pitluk Jr. W’48, San Antonio, April 19, 2002.

back to top

1949 | J. Emery Albertson WEv’49, Lansdale, Pa., Oct. 2, 1998.

Earl F. Brown W’49, Delray Beach, Fla., a retired managing partner of Ernst & Young; March 2. After beginning his career as a certified public accountant, he spent 31 years with Ernst & Young, where he became managing partner in charge of Europe and was headquartered in Paris. He had been a pilot in the U.S. Army Air Corps, 1942-45, flying B-29 Super Fortresses in India, China, and the South Pacific, for which he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. He served as a trustee of the University from 1978 to 1983.

Barbara G. Dubuque Ed’49, Arlington, Mass., Oct. 18, 2001.

Irene Smigel Elitzky Ed’49, Sugar Land, Tex., July 7, 2002.

Dr. John M. Fritts C’49 M’53, Missoula, Mont., a retired physician; Nov. 24, 2002.

Kenneth C. Gifford Jr. W’49, San Antonio, Nov. 22, 2001.

Joseph Kaelin W’49, Phoenix, Md., Jan. 1, 2000.

Mary C. Kerbaugh CCC’49, Bryn Mawr, Pa., an assistant librarian at Swarthmore College, who retired in 1979; March 15. During the Second World War she drove an ambulance in Philadelphia and was a nurse’s aide. She spoke fluent French and, at her parents’ home in Bryn Mawr, hosted sailors serving on a Free French ship docked in Philadelphia harbor. A devoted dog owner, she was an active supporter of animal rights.

Helen Glascott Lawless Ed’49, Dresher, Pa., Nov. 26, 2002.

Lester R. Leidy ME’49, Oreland, Pa., Aug. 5, 1998.

Dr. Roland R. Mariani C’49 D’52, Hummelstown, Pa., a retired dentist; March 4.

William J. McDermott W’49, Cherry Hill, N.J., a retired vice president at Technitrol, Inc., an electronics manufacturing company in Trevose, Pa.; March 10. Joining Technitrol in 1955, he worked his way up from office manager to president, but stepped aside to manage the company’s budget. As vice president of finance he supervised mergers and acquisitions, retiring in 1984.

Glen O’Neal Jr. G’49, Swarthmore, Pa., Aug. 24, 2001.

Jean Gibson Smith CW’49, Duncan, S.C., Nov. 6, 2001.

Dr. Francis F. S. Tse WG’49, Cincinnati, Aug. 15, 2000.

Dr. Juan M. Taveras M’49, Aventura, Fla., a retired physician and teacher; March 28, 2002.

Robert T. Vaughan ME’49 GME’52, Cheltenham, Pa., July 27, 2002.

back to top

1950 | Charles Agre C’50, Pompano Beach, Fla., Sept. 19, 2002.

William J. A. Baird WEv’50, Pompano Beach, Fla. Nov. 14, 2002.

Henry Bieler C’50, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., Sept. 15, 1999.

Donald L. Cavanaugh Ed’50, Myrtle Beach, S.C., April 29, 1998.

Luther D. Cousins L’50, San Diego, Nov. 9, 1999.

Alfred M. DiBartolo ME’50, Springfield, Pa., June 26, 2002.

Alan T. Eddison C’50, Stratford, N.J., March 3, 2000.

James J. Feeley W’50, Blue Bell, Pa., Sept. 7, 2000.

John Hakun C’50, Morton, Pa., Feb. 15, 2002.

Martin B. Gold EE’50, Philadelphia, June 18, 2002.

William C. Massinger C’50 L’58, Phoenixville, Pa., a retired attorney; Oct. 28, 2001.

Major Betty E. Messersmith Ed’50, Cincinnati, March 5, 2000.

William J. Moran III C’50, Collegeville, Pa., a retired attorney; Aug. 1, 2000.

Nunzio J. Ricchini WEv’50, Horsham, Pa., Feb. 9, 2002.

Elwood W. Richter W’50, Vincentown, N.J., Oct. 30, 2001.

Lydia M. Langworthy Shipley Ed’50 GEd’51, Secane, Pa., a retired home-health coordinator at the Philadelphia Veterans Hospital; February 1. She became a public health nurse at HUP and later taught in the master’s program for nurses at Penn. As a rehabilitation clinical specialist at the Veterans’ Affairs hospital in Philadelphia, she established its home health-care program and served as its coordinator until her retirement.

John H. C. West C’50 G’52, Candler, N.C., Dec. 18, 2002.

Christopher R. Wogan Jr. C’50, Philadelphia, July 13, 2001.

back to top

1951 | Francis P. Coleman WEF’51, Carbondale, Pa., Nov. 1, 1998.

George H. Cooper W’51, Miami, April 18, 2002.

Robert F. Cope WEv’51, Grand Island, Fla., Sept. 28, 2002.

John Elinsky L’51, Pittsburgh, Aug. 6, 2001.

Ruth P. Ferguson DH’51, Clearwater, Fla., Dec. 22, 2002.

William W. Griest W’51, Palatka, Fla., Sept. 20, 1998.

Kenneth W. Kohl GEd’51, Reading, Pa., April 10, 2000.

Richard D. Meitzler WG’51, Kennett Square, Pa., who retired from the DuPont Company in 1990, after 40 years in its finance department; March 16.

Webster S. Moore W’51, Chadds Ford, Pa., Sept. 29, 2002.

Dawn Spencer Riddle Ed’51, Pottstown, Pa., March 19, 2002.

Charles T. Utt WEF’51, Clarks Summit, Pa., May 17, 2001.

back to top

1952 | Dr. Samuel Abrams D’52, Boca Raton, Fla., chief of a dental clinic in Coatesville, Pa. for 37 years; Jan. 23. He was also on the staff of Brandywine Hospital. His wife is Dr. Sondra Golomb Abrams CW’52 M’56.

Earl E. Idell WEv’52, Whiting, N.J., an accountant for 30 years who retired from Conair Corp in 1984; March 11. He had served in the U.S. Army during the Second World War as a staff sergeant and medic in the Medical Corps of the 24th Infantry Division, where he treated soldiers and civilians.

Dr. J. Bernard Real D’52, Rome, N.Y., a dentist who practiced for 30 years; Nov. 1, 2002. He had served as president of the former local dental society.

John S. Rankin C’52, Louisville, Ky., the retired president of the former Almstedt Brothers, Inc., brokerage firm; March 3. He served as board chair of both the Jewish Hospital Shelbyville and Presbyterian Homes and Services. At Penn he was a member of Mask & Wig and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

Zelda E. Segal CW’52, Asheville, N.C., Feb. 13.

back to top

1953 | William H. Conger, EE’53, Chestertown, Md., Sept. 7, 1998.

Dr. John Walter High Jr. G’53, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., professor emeritus of history at Drexel University; Feb. 17. Although he always wanted to be a teacher, he began his career as the plant manager for a Philadelphia company that made furniture upholstery. Having left that position for health reasons, he pursued a career in education. After joining what was then called the Drexel Institute of Technology as an adjunct assistant professor in 1966, he was appointed an assistant professor of general studies in 1972 and an associate professor of history in 1980, a position he held until his retirement in 1998. He taught courses in U.S. and world history, including the American Civil War and Vietnam War. As a university administrator, he served as department head in the general-studies division of the evening college and as an assistant department head in history and politics. He received Drexel’s Laura S. Campbell Award for excellence in teaching. He was the parish librarian for St. Dunstan’s Episcopal Church in Blue Bell, where he served on the vestry; for several years Dr. High was a delegate to the annual convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania.

Peter F. Lisa WEv’53, Long Beach, Calif., Jan. 13.

Matthew S. Polk GME’53, Media, Pa., Jan. 8, 2002.

Mary Ann O. Ryman CW’53, Canoga Park, Calif., July 27, 2002.

Joseph F. Strain C’53 L’59, Philadelphia, an attorney; Dec. 9, 2002.

back to top

1954 | Daniel Aaron G’54, Philadelphia, a cable-television pioneer and co-founder of Comcast Corp.; Feb. 20. In 1963 he, along with Ralph J. Roberts W’41 and Julian A. Brodsky W’56, began what would ultimately become Comcast Corp. An innovator in the industry, he lobbied to secure access to telephone poles by cable firms. At Comcast, he emphasized the rights of ordinary workers and advocated local management of cable systems instead of top-down corporate control. “The person who really ran the business for the first 20 years was Dan,” said Brian L. Roberts W’81, the son of Ralph Roberts and now president of Comcast. Daniel Aaron retired as vice-chair of Comcast in 1991, and was inducted into the Cable Television Hall of Fame in Denver in 2002. Prior to starting Comcast he served in the U.S. Army in Germany during the Second World War and was on the staff of The Philadelphia Bulletin. He also worked for the Jerrold Electronics Corp., a cable equipment manufacturer, before persuading Ralph Roberts to buy his first cable system in Tupelo, Miss. In his 2001 autobiography, Take the Measure of the Man: An American Success Story, he wrote, “When I joined the cable-television industry, it was the right time; it was the right place. I was there at the beginning …. What a rare privilege!” His book also detailed his difficult childhood, during which he and his family, who were Jewish, immigrated to America from Nazi Germany in 1938. His parents committed suicide when he was 13 years old; he and his nine-year-old brother were raised in foster homes. Ralph Roberts said that Daniel Aaron’s “greatest legacy is as an example to others of how you can rise from the dust and become a champion.”

Lucy E. Amerson L’54, San Francisco, Dec. 21, 1998.

George J. Bittel WEv’54, Philadelphia, June 16, 1998.

John Paul Jones W’54, Boca Raton, Fla., Feb. 2.

Charles Rosen W’54, Ventnor City, N.J., Feb. 19, 2001.

Hon. Arthur N. Sheppard W’54, Miami, June 21, 2002.

James L. White W’54, Newburgh, N.Y., Oct. 21, 1998.

back to top

1955 | Dr. Robert W. Driscoll C’55, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., a retired surgeon at the old Suburban General Hospital in Norristown, who was instrumental in developing its trauma medicine procedures; March 2. Dr. Driscoll joined the staff at the hospital (now Mercy Suburban Hospital) in 1972, when the surrounding area was largely rural, so trauma medicine meant accidents with farm equipment. With the expansion of suburbs, his specialty increased and he helped develop the hospital’s approach to emergency medicine, such that he became known as “Dr. Trauma.” During his 26 years at the hospital he served as head of surgery and chief of staff, retiring in 1998. He was also active as a Plymouth Township commissioner and councilman. A licensed pilot since 1953, Dr. Driscoll was president of a partnership of pilots and aviation enthusiasts. In 1993 he restored a 1955 Maxim fire truck and donated it to Fireman’s Hall, National Firehouse and Museum in Philadelphia. Following his graduation from Penn he served in the U.S. Navy as a jet pilot.

Joseph H. Hackman Ar’55, Oreland, Pa., Feb. 10.

back to top

1956 | Joel A. Handler WG’56, Flint, Mich., June 24, 2001.

Shumer S. Lonoff W’56, New York, a member of the Wall Street steering committee of the UJA-Federation; March 18.

James N. Mullen L’56, West Chester, Pa., a retired attorney who chronicled the history of high-school football; March 10. His first professional position was as an attorney for the old Pennsylvania Railroad; he joined the law department of Bell of Pennsylvania, now Verizon, in 1979. During the 1990s he was managing attorney for the State Workers Insurance Co. and was then a consultant for the law firm of Sand & Saidel in Philadelphia. At Penn he was a member of the law review. A dedicated fan of professional and amateur athletics, he published a history of Ridley Park High School football teams.

Dr. Warren R. Piersol V’56, New Holland, Pa., a retired veterinarian; March 5.

Barbara A. Simpson G’56, Charlotte, N.C., a teacher of economics for 20 years and the first woman commissioner of the North Carolina Public Utilities Commission; Feb. 11. She taught at Queens College in Charlotte, William & Mary College, and in Europe for the University of Maryland. She was later the director of federal affairs for Duke Power for 14 years.

back to top

1957 | James O.G. Drake III W’57 G’59, White Stone, Va., an investment banker and consultant; Feb. 25. A president of Drake-Moran, Inc., he also served as a consultant for Children’s Television Workshop. His community volunteer activities included serving as board chair of the Rappahannock Westminster-Canterbury Foundation.

Dr. Robert H. Ketchum WG’57, Brockport, N.Y., Sept. 20, 2000.

Dr. Howard O. Lawson V’57, Clearwater, Fla., a retired veterinarian; June 26, 1998.

Clarence R. Phillips SW’57, Clarks Green, Pa., the director of social services at Clarks Summit State Hospital for 35 years; Feb. 25.

Sumner A. Williams Jr. W’57, Bay Shore, N.Y., Aug. 27, 1999.

back to top

1958 | Dr. Paul V. DeMaso D’58, Lakewood, N.J., a retired dentist who had served in the U.S. Navy during two wars; March 10. He practiced dentistry for 41 years, in Great Kills and New Dorp, retiring in 1999. He was a member of numerous professional dental organizations and was a founding member of the South Shore Dental Club. In 1996 he received a lifetime-achievement award from the Richmond County Dental Society.

Winifred I. Godshalk Nu’58 Gnu’63, North Myrtle Beach, S.C., a retired school nurse in Pennsylvania; March 2.

Alan L. Gold W’58, Houston, Nov. 22, 2002.

Arthur H. Maslansky W’58, Los Angeles, an attorney; Aug. 2, 1998.

Hugh A. McCafferty GME’58, Upper Darby, Pa., April 24, 2001.

Dr. Carl E. Pipes D’58, Scituate, Mass., a practiced family dentistry for 41 years; March 11. An avid environmentalist, he served on the conservation commission in Scituate, was one of the originators of its recycling program, and most recently worked on the Community Preservation Act. And he was a selectman for six years, three of them as chair. He had been a captain in the U.S. Army Dental Corps 1958-61.

Hon. Allen G. Schwartz L’58, Rye, N.Y., a federal judge who also served as New York’s corporation counsel under Mayor Edward I. Koch; March 22. He was appointed to the federal bench of the Southern District of New York in 1993 and he continued to serve on the bench, in Manhattan and White Plains, until his death. Prior to becoming a judge, he spent years in private practice and was Mayor Koch’s first corporation counsel, a post he held from 1978 to 1981. His relationship with Mayor Koch began when they were partners in the law firm of Koch, Lankenau, Schwartz & Kovner. Because of this, he was able to swiftly revamp the corporation counsel’s office, which, like many other city offices, was in disarray. After moving the office from its antiquated quarters to a modern facility nearby, he dealt with the heavy backlog of cases by hiring dedicated young lawyers from both the public and private sectors and instituting a pro-bono program in which major law firms provided extensive free legal work for the city. Subsequently the law department revenues began exceeding expenditures. Hon. Allen Schwartz advised Mayor Koch on policy questions ranging from the ill-fated Westway Highway project to the city’s troubled transit system. After leaving City Hall, he returned to private law practice, but worked pro bono as the city’s sports commissioner 1982-83, which stemmed from his lifelong interest in baseball.

Vitaly Stachejko EE’58 GEE’63, Willingboro, N.J., Nov. 11, 2002.

Norman W. Wright WEv’58, North Wales, Pa., March 14, 1999.

back to top

1959 | Dr. Eugene A. Bodmer V’59, Santa Cruz, Calif., a retired veterinarian; May 12, 2002.

Dr. James E. Erdman D’59, Sun City West, Ariz., a retired dentist; Sept. 12, 2002.

Raymond H. Morley WEv’59, Souderton, Pa., Dec. 31, 2002.

Stefan S. Wolff GAr’59, Gambier, Ohio, Feb. 25, 1999.

back to top

1960 | Frederic C. Demorest WEv’60, Philadelphia, Dec. 29, 2002.

James W. Harte Jr. GEE’60, Summit, N.J., April 1, 2000.

James F Killeen EE’60 GEE’68, Cambridge, Md., Feb. 12, 2002.

Mary M. Kingsley SW’60, Bethlehem, Pa., a social worker for Northampton County Children and Youth Services in Easton, Pa., for 25 years, retiring in 1997; March 14. Previously she had been a social worker for Montgomery County Social Services in Maryland for 10 years. And she volunteered as a swimming instructor for disabled children for the Red Cross of the Lehigh Valley for six years.

Rowena Proctor Lewis SW’60, Baltimore, February 1.

Dorothy Stern Noble Ed’60, Honesdale, Pa., July 10, 1998. Her husband is Judson I. Noble G’59.

back to top

1962 | Lawrence S. Herlick SW’62, Arlington, Va., May 29, 2002.

back to top

1963 | James L. Arthur EE’63 GEE’65, Columbia, Md., Oct. 24, 2001.

Henry C. Harmon W’63, Kenmore, Wash., Dec. 4, 1998.

Dr. George G. Hom GD’63, San Diego, a retired dentist; Sept. 30, 2001.

Charles W. Kaufmann WEv’63, Elkins Park, Pa., Jan. 6, 1999.

Albert J. Miller Jr. WG’63, Chandler, Ariz., Dec. 6, 2001.

Dr. Jeffie F. Roszel V’63, Tulsa, Okla., emeritus professor of veterinary pathology at Oklahoma State University; Jan. 13. During the Second World War she and her sister traveled with the USO as a singing and comedy duo, The Fisher Sisters. After the war, she was a model with the Eileen Ford Modeling Agency, was once on the cover of Vogue, and appeared in other magazines. Deciding on a career in veterinary medicine, she enrolled at Penn: married, 33 years old and one of five women in her class. One of the first cytopathologists in veterinary medicine, she was briefly an assistant professor of pathology at Penn, accepting a position in Tulsa in 1971. Prevention of cruelty to animals was of vital importance to her: a study she completed on carriage horses in cities—which showed that traffic pollution causes as severe damage to a horses’ lungs as heavy human smokers cause to their own, and that hard streets cause lameness and hoof deterioration—is widely cited.

back to top

1964 | William A. Bell WEv’64, Woodbury, N.J., Nov. 19, 1999.

Ellen Hood Creskoff CW’64, Arlington, Va., Dec. 9, 2000.

Charles W. Criss W’64, Houston, March 15, 1999.

Dr. Kenneth J. Rubin V’64, Blue Bell, Pa., a retired veterinarian; March 5. Following graduation, he opened the Mount Airy Animal Hospital in Philadelphia and, later, the Andorra Veterinary Clinic in Lafayette Hill, practicing at both places until his retirement. He was past president of the Keystone Veterinary Medical Association.

Margaret L. Trenchard Nu’64 GNu’65, Minneapolis, a nurse educator who had a 28-year career as in Minnesota and South Dakota; February 23. She was an associate professor of nursing at South Dakota State University in Brookings, and completed her teaching career in the Minnesota Community College system, receiving a certificate of commendation from the governor at her retirement in 1993.

Robert S. Warren C’64, Mentor, Ohio, October 16, 2000.

back to top

1965 | Bruce Joel Jacobsohn W’65 L’68, Charlotte, N.C., an attorney specializing in labor-related litigation; March 21. He began his career at the National Labor Relations Board before serving as counsel for the U.S. Postal Service. At Penn he was a member of Alpha Epsilon Pi, and a star wrestler who won two gold medals at the 1965 Maccabiah Games. His eclectic tastes and wide range of interests included the breeding of Bouviers des Flandres dogs.

Bruce E. Lacoss L’65, Shawnee Mission, Kan., a retired attorney; Dec. 27, 2000.

back to top

1966 | James B. Berstler Jr. WEv’66, Lansdowne, Pa., June 24, 2000.

back to top

1968 | Dr. Edward W. Carter III GM’68, Weirsdale, Fla., a retired physician; Dec. 8, 1999.

Shirley L. Drickey GNu’68, Caputa, S.D., July 11, 2002.

Dr. Norman Frank V’68, Miami Beach, a retired veterinarian; Dec. 28, 2002. He and his wife established a mixed practice in the mountains of Schuylkill County, Pa. He was also active in training and driving Standardbred racehorses. In 1989 he founded Reptile and Amphibian Magazine; following the sale of his practice and the magazine, he relocated to Fla., where he established another veterinary practice in 2001.

back to top

1969 | Jon Paugh L’69, Alexandria, Va., an attorney; Dec. 21, 2001.

back to top

1970 | Philip S. Casella C’70, Palo Alto, Calif., May 15, 2002.

back to top

1973 | Barbara J. Demke WEv’73, Humble, Tex., May 14, 2000.

Carl S. Hauptli WG’73, Carrollton, Tex., Sept. 13, 2000.

Dr. Berta D. Lutherer GM’73, Miami, Dec. 15, 1998.

back to top

1983 | Dianne C. Shapiro GNu’83, Princeton, N.J., a former operating room nurse, who also served as a nursing instructor at Mercer County Community College; Feb. 28. After a two-year battle, she overcame a form of asbestos-related mesothelioma that, at the time, was thought to be fatal. One of a handful of patients to survive, she was featured in a nationally exhibited study of the effects of the condition. Requiring an elaborate nutrition regime that restricted her activities, she learned to make it portable, which allowed her to snow ski, and to tour her ancestral home of Italy with her family several years ago.

back to top

1985 | Carmen Culpeper Chappell G’85, Villanova, Pa., March 15. She was fluent in five languages and had an abiding interest in Mayan and Incan civilizations.

Arthur O. Corbin WEv’85, Philadelphia, May 15, 1999.

back to top

1991 | Coltrane Y. Gardner C’91, Stamford, Conn., Oct. 23, 2001

back to top

1996 | Christopher G. Fox C’96, Cresco, Pa., May 26, 2001.

back to top

1997 | Dr. Mary A. Procida Gr’97, Haddonfield, N.J., March 5.

back to top

1999 | Dr. David J. Nebzydoski V’99, Pleasant Mount, Pa., a veterinarian; March 16.

2002 | Joseph R. Harrison SW’02, Philadelphia, Oct. 15, 2002.

back to top

Faculty & Staff

Albert Griffin. See Class of 1930.

Robert M. Hanna, Philadelphia, a renowned landscape architect who served on Penn’s faculty for more than 30 years; March 8. He joined Penn in 1969 as a lecturer, then served as assistant professor 1970-76, associate professor (with tenure) from 1976 to 1990, and adjunct professor from 1990 to 2000. Although he had not taught landscape architecture since fall 1998, he recently taught urban studies. In 1974 he was appointed the first chair of the Design of the Environment program, an undergraduate design major, which he had helped to create. And he helped start the transformation of the Penn campus envisioned in the Campus Master Plan. He is also well-known for founding the prominent international landscape-architecture firm, Hanna/Olin Ltd. Two of its commissions in the 1980s, the Fifth Avenue Terrace of the New York Public Library and Bryant Park, revitalized an entire block of midtown Manhattan. Other projects include the IBM world headquarters in Armonk, N.Y., the Johnson & Johnson headquarters in New Brunswick, N.J., Battery Park City in Manhattan, Ellis Island, the U.S. Holocaust Museum in Washington, and Canary Wharf in London. Since 1995 he served as principal of R. M. Hanna Landscape Architects, where he worked with his wife, Beverly Briggs GLA’79; notable projects of this firm include the Canberra Central National Area, Canberra, Australia, the Tianfu Square Master Plan, Chengdu, Sichuan, China, The Hun School, Princeton, N.J., and a new town square for Pottstown, Pa.

Dr. Alton J. Novak. See Class of 1941.

Dr. Brooke Roberts. See Class of 1943.

Dr. Jeffie F. Roszel. See Class of 1963.

Lydia M. Langworthy Shipley. See Class of 1950.

Dr. George N. Stein. See Class of 1938.

J. Allman Stewart. See Class of 1937.

Dr. F. William Sunderman. See Class of 1923.

back to top


2003 The Pennsylvania Gazette
Last modified 11/04/03

 

ALUMNI : Profiles : Events : Notes : Obituaries



Nov|Dec
Contents
Gazette Home
Previous issue's column
School Abbreviations

 

Notifications
Please send notifications of death of alumni directly to:
Alumni Records
University of Pennsylvania
3451 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

<
record@ben.dev.upenn.edu>

Newspaper obits are appreciated.