1923 | Fanny C. Goldstein Ed23, Roseland, N.J., an attorney and the first mother to pass the Pennsylvania bar exam; June 6. She specialized in real estate law and worked with her husband until the 1950s, when she began practicing family-mediation law. She lectured across America promoting social equality for women and civil rights. She was prominent in the World Jewish Congress.
Margaretta Mahan Helm Mu23, Downingtown, Pa., March 1, 1999.
Adelaide Louise Rose Ed27, Media, Pa., March 2, 2003.
Floyd L. Bowers W28, Evergreen, Colo., Jan. 1, 2000.
Dr. Cornelius N. Weygandt EE28 GrE47, Haverford, Pa., professor emeritus of engineering and former chair of the graduate division of engineering at the University; Aug. 8. He began his career at General Electric and Brooke Engineering Co. before coming to Penn in 1935 as an instructor at the Moore School He became professor in 1954 and served as section head of the instrumentation and control section at the Moore School. In 1973 he received a secondary appointment in bioengineering. After becoming professor emeritus of systems engineering in 1975, he continued to teach electrical engineering courses for six years. During the 1940s he worked with J. Prosper Eckert EE41 GEE43 Hon64 on improvements to ENIAC; his work improved the accuracy of the differential analyzer by inserting an electronic component into an otherwise mechanical device.. Later he was involved in projects for private industry and the U.S. military, including development of a flight trainer for the Air Force, a weapons communication system for the Army, and a navigation system for the Navy. During the 1980s he counseled engineers at Stone & Webster, an engineering management company in New Jersey. In 1998 the School of Engineering and Applied Science introduced an annual student award in his name. His father, also named Cornelius Weygandt, had been a professor of English literature at the University and an expert on Pennsylvania Dutch life.
Walter Schachtel C29, Wynnewood, Pa., an attorney in Philadelphia for more than 50 years; June 23. He was a founding partner of Schachtel, Einhorn & Gerstley, which became Schachtel, Koplin & Levine, practicing from 1936 until his retirement in 1992. In 2000 he published an autobiography, Memoirs of a Lucky Lawyer, after encouraging elderly clients to write their own personal histories.
Dr. Harry Pariser C31 M35 GM40, Virginia Beach, Va., the first board certified dermatologist in Norfolk, Va., and a retired professor of microbiology at the Eastern Medical School; Aug. 8, 2003. During World War II he served as the venereal-disease officer with the U.S. Public Health Service in Norfolk. He was widely published in the field of sexually transmitted diseases. And he was instrumental in the development of the dermatology division at Eastern. He retired from private practice in 1995. One of his sons, also a dermatologist, is Dr. David M. Pariser C68.
Kenneth Funston Thomas EE31 G32, West Hartford, Conn., May 22.
Max Winokur W31, Philadelphia, June 15, 2003.
Esther Gabriel Sando Ed33, New Oxford, Pa., March 3, 2002.
Frederick H. Stafford W33, Havertown, Pa., June 27.
Kate Newman Wessel Ed33, Philadelphia, March 30.
William B. Haines W34, Port Saint Lucie, Fla., June 24.
Barclay T. Kenyon Jr. W34, Los Altos, Calif., July 18. During World War II, he served as a first lieutenant in field artillery in Italy and France.
David Raksin Mu34, Van Nuys, Calif., the composer of more than 400 scores for films and television, including the 1944 film, Laura; Aug. 9. His musical career began at age 12, when he became the leader of a small dance band that he expanded while in high school for broadcasting on a local CBS radio station. While at Penn he paid his tuition by working in radio orchestras. After arranging music for Broadway musicals, he was invited to Hollywood in 1935 to assist Charlie Chaplin with the music for the film Modern Times. As Chaplins collaborator, he assisted and enlarged Chaplins tunes, and was credited as co-arranger. After working without credit on 48 films, he shared credit on the 1939 movie, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. His score for Laura, which was based on a single recurring melody, became a sensation. After the release of the film, he reworked the tune so that it could be sung, and, with lyrics by Johnny Mercer, it became No. 1 on the Hit Parade in 1945. It remains one of the most recorded songs ever, with more than 400 recordings since then. Cole Porter, when asked what piece of music he most regretted not having composed, replied, Laura. And Hedy Lamarr explained that she had turned down the title role in the film because they sent me the script instead of the score. Raksin wrote music for more than 100 other films, including The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, The Bad and the Beautiful, and Pat and Mike, as well as for 300 television shows, most notably the themes for Wagon Train and Ben Casey. He received Academy Award nominations for his scores for Forever Amber and Separate Tables. He was also a composer of chamber music, including Oedipus Memnitai. His Broadway musical, If the Shoe Fits, had a short run in 1946. An eight-term president of the Composers and Lyricists Guild of America (from 1962-70), he taught composition for films at the University of Southern California. His concert works include Toy Concertino and have been performed by prominent symphonies.
Dr. M. Treadwell Ryman M34, Gorham, Maine, a retired physician; Jan. 13, 1999.
Stanley Anders Yocom W34, Lancaster, Pa., May 20.
1935 | Charles L. Burrall Jr. C35 G36, Wyndmoor, Pa., a retired actuary at Huggins & Co., who specialized in nonprofit pension funds; July 24. While at Penn, he lived with his cousin, the late Mary Mills Marshall G29 L31, who took him to the theater, the orchestra, and taught him the ways of big city life, according to his family. Following his retirement from Huggins & Co. in the late 1970s, he volunteered for the Associated Services for the Blind, where he read newspapers for radio broadcasts. An accomplished pianist, he gave his final classical concert several years ago at a local retirement residence. During World War II, he was a multilingual analyst in U.S. Army intelligence, where he worked on the Manhattan Project.
Herbert N. Cohn W35, Boca Raton, Fla., July 17, 2003.
Albert C. Eisenberg WG35, Cleveland, a retired certified public accountant; July 25, 2002.
Kenneth J. Klahre W35, Clemmons, N.C., March 24. At Penn he was a member of the football team in 1933 and the lacrosse team in 1935.
Franklin W. Maury W35, Princeton, N.J., Dec. 23, 2001.
Gordon Silver Ar35, Levittown, N.Y., April 14. He had worked for the SK Aircraft Co.
Martha F. Leys G36, Bethlehem, Pa., Nov. 18, 2003.
Goldie K. Morse NTS36, Springfield, Ill., June 12, 2001.
Capt. Charles D. Mott CE36, Arlington, Va., a pilot who was one of the first Americans to join the Flying Tigers squadrons that battled the Japanese during World War II; July 30. Capt. Mott began his naval career as an aircraft carrier dive bomber pilot before resigning his commission to join Maj. Gen. Claire Lee Chennaults Flying Tigers, which was comprised of American volunteers and Chinese nationals fighting in Asia to combat the Japanese invasion. He led a squadron in Burma until he was shot down by the Japanese over Thailand on Jan. 8, 1942. Seriously wounded, he spent the next three years in prison camps in Thailand and Burma, where, with other POWs, he worked on the bridge on the River Kwai and the railway of death, a track linking Burma and Thailand. He was liberated in Aug. 1945. Capt. Mott was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Purple Heart, and the POW Medal. The Chinese government awarded him the Order of the Cloud Banner. Continuing his career in the U.S. Navy, he was the commander of a patrol squadron at Patuxent River Naval Air Station in Maryland, an operations officer aboard an aircraft carrier, and a Seventh Fleet planning officer during the 1958 Quemoy-Matsu crisis in Taiwan. He was an ordnance specialist at the Bureau of Navy Weapons in Washington until his retirement in 1963. He then became a division manager for Analytic Services, Inc., a research institute for the U.S. Air Force and the Defense Department, until retiring in 1985.
Dr. Albert L. Opp V36, Bluff City, Tenn., a retired veterinarian; April 22.
H. Marshall Sickel C36, Virginia Beach, Va., Dec. 28, 2003.
Joseph M. Baxter W37, Glenside, Pa., Aug. 17. He joined the Berwind Corporation, a Philadelphia firm that buys and sells businesses, in the 1950s, and retired as vice president in the 1970s. During World War II he worked in ordnance procurement in Philadelphia for the U.S. Army. He remained in the Army Reserves until retiring as a colonel in the 1960s.
Josephine K. Burghart Ed37 GEd39, Honey Brook, Pa., Aug. 29, 2003.
Sol A. Maksik W37, San Diego, March 1.
John J. Newberry Jr. W37, Stowe, Vt., the retired senior vice president of the family enterprise, J. J. Newberry variety stores; June 27. He held various positions within the company at several locations until 1973. He served on the boards of many organizations involved with education and public service, including Winchendon School in Massachusetts, where the science building has been named for him; the College of Wooster in Ohio; and the YMCA. At Penn he had a Chrysler LeBaron Touring car and would drive to away football games as far as the University of Michigan on weekends. He was a member of Theta Chi fraternity, and according to his roommate, B. Franklin Reinauer II W38, the two would save their cuts in order to drive to Florida during every spring break. He was active in the Pierce Arrow Society, and recently gave his 1936 Pierce Arrow to the museum in Hickory Corners, Mich.
Israel D. Shapiro W37, Baltimore, the former president of United Iron and Metal Co.; July 14. He joined the familys scrap iron business and headed the M&T division before becoming president of the company. In 1971 he introduced the first auto shredder in Maryland that could fragmentize 500 junked cars a day into grapefruit-sized pieces of metal. He sold the business in 1990. He then served as president of United Holding Co. Inc., a real estate management and development firm, until his death. He was a longtime member and former president of the Institute of Scrap Iron and Steel. His philanthropic efforts included endowing the transplant surgery suite at the University of Maryland Medical Center. And he was a big-game hunter who traveled worldwide and lectured to groups about his hunting adventures.
Dr. Harold Stevens Gr37 M41, Silver Spring, Md., a retired physician; Aug. 27, 2003.
Dr. John A. Wallace Ed37 GEd39 GrEd49, Putney, Vt., the founder of the School for International Training in 1964 and its director until 1978; June 11. After teaching at Beaver College (now Arcadia College), he became an associate professor of education and director of undergraduate studies at the Business School at Boston University, where he organized programs to study other countries and cultures. He left Boston University in 1955 to become vice president and assistant director of the Experiment in International Living, where he was active in efforts to open the countries of the Soviet orbit and the Soviet Union itself, to student exchanges. After some success with Yugoslavia, he spearheaded a young peoples exchange with Poland in 1958. The School for International Training was an outgrowth of the Experiment in International Living. He oversaw its growth into a degree-granting senior college and graduate institution. The school combines classroom study with stints at nongovernmental organizations such as the Red Cross and the Pan American Health Organization to foster understanding among young people around the world. During his tenure Dr. Wallace directed the training of 55 American Peace Corps groups. After retiring from the United States branch of the Experiment in International Living in 1978, he was elected secretary general of Federation EIL, where he coordinated educational and cultural exchanges. Dr. Wallace was the founding president of the University of the Virgin Islands in St. Thomas in 1962, and in 1992 helped establish the British Virgin Islands Community College in Tortola, now renamed the H. Lavity Stoutt Community College. He served on the boards of many educational institutions and wrote four Getting to Know books in the 1960s about France, Egypt, Poland, and the Soviet Union. He was chosen to carry the Olympic torch when it passed through southern Vermont on its way to the Olympic Games in Atlanta in 1996. During World War II he was a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army, serving in airborne and parachute units. He was awarded the Legion of Merit for his role in the Armys first tests of the tactical deployment of helicopters. He remained in the Army reserves until 1967, advancing to the rank of colonel. He felt that his Army experience overseas as a young man, including seeing the German concentration camps, shaped his career in international education.
Charles J. Zechman WEv37, Davie, Fla., Aug. 31, 1999
Elsa Nitzsche Zelley CW37, Presque Isle, Maine, Sept. 25, 2003.
1938 | Arthur W. Alsberg W38, Sherman Oaks, Calif., a playwright and screenwriter who worked for Disney Studios and Hanna-Barbera Productions; Aug. 7. He began his career in New York, writing comedy for the radio work of Milton Berle and Danny Kaye, before moving to Hollywood at Kayes request in 1946. In the early 1950s he transitioned to television, becoming the lead writer for many now-classic programs, including Our Miss Brooks, Bachelor Father, I Dream of Jeannie, and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. His play, Happiness is Just a Little Thing Called a Rolls Royce, was produced on Broadway in the early 1970s. In 1972 he began a 25-year writing partnership with Don Nelson. That year they created, wrote, and produced the television show, Bridget Loves Bernie. In 1973 they began working for Disney Studios, writing such features as Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo, Hot Lead and Cold Feet, and Gus. They joined Hanna-Barbera Productions in 1984, where they worked on The Jetsons and The Flintstones. An avid screenwriting teacher, he was a pioneer of the Writers Guild program, The Open Door, and taught at California State University at Northridge for many years. Following his retirement, he continued to spend eight-hour days working on his playwriting.
Dr. Ben C. Barnes M38, Downingtown, Pa., an internist for almost 40 years before his retirement; June 10. He began a private practice in internal medicine in Allentown in 1949. He served on the staff of Sacred Heart Hospital, where he was later appointed chief of medicine. A founder of Hamilton Internist Associates, Dr. Barnes was appointed chief of staff at Muhlenberg Medical Center in 1961 and medical director in 1970. He was a member of numerous professional medical societies and associations. During World War II he served as a flight surgeon in the U.S. Army Air Corps.
Kathryn Hoyle Bradley CW38, Lexington Park, Md., a researcher and chemist at the National Institute of Health for 20 years, until her retirement in 1982; June 27. At Penn she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and graduated magna cum laude.
Sidney M. Erkes W38, Reading, Pa., March 2, 1999.
Dr. Edward F. Grier C38 Gr49, Lawrence, Kan., June 11.
Edward D. Maissian ME38, Los Angeles, June 18.
Dr. James H. Propst M38, Clermont, Fla., a retired physician; Dec. 16, 2003.
Keneth A. Simons EE38, Bryn Athyn, Pa., the vice president for research and development at Jerrold Electronics in Philadelphia for 25 years, and a consultant at the University; June 11. He joined RCA in 1938, and operated the companys television exhibit at the 1939 Worlds Fair. In 1940 he was the engineer in charge of the public address and audio responsibilities for the Wendell Wilkie presidential campaign. He trained military technicians for RCA during World War II. At Jerrold Electronics he designed technology to bring television to areas that could not receive conventional broadcasting systems. After leaving the company in 1976, he became a consultant to the University and published technical articles, a book on logarithms, and a handbook for cable-televisions systems. He was awarded several patents, most recently in 1994. In 2003 he was inducted into the Loyal Order of the 704, a group of senior cable-television engineers that takes its name from the key test instrument he had created for the industry 50 years earlier, according to his daughter.
1939 | Dr. Leroy T. Barnes C39 M43, Los Angeles, the first African American chief of radiology at Kaiser Hospital in Bellflower, Calif.; June 28. At Penn he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and received the Alpha Omega Alpha medical-honor-society award. He joined Southern Kaiser Permanente Medical Group in 1960, and was chief of radiology at Kaiser Hospital from 1980 until his retirement in 1987. Kaisers Bellflower Hospital dedicated their new diagnostic imaging center to Dr. Barnes in 1995. He was a member of the Kaiser Permanente board, 1966-71; director of medical education, 1965-75; and chair of the credentials committee, 1965-80. He was also the assistant clinical associate professor of radiology at the Charles Drew Medical School from 1975 to 1985.
Dr. Patrick F. Cosgriff V39, Pennington, N.J., a retired veterinarian who had worked at the Pennington Veterinary Hospital; June 13.
Marie M. De Benneville CW39, Philadelphia, March 29, 2003.
Dr. Thomas A. Ladson V39, Olney, Md., a retired veterinarian; Jan. 23.
John J. Pearce W39, Wilmington, Del., Feb. 1, 2001
Richard Switlik Sr. ME39, Trenton, N.J., the retired president of Switlik Parachute Co., Inc.; June 4. His father, founder of the company in 1920, teamed with Amelia Earharts husband to build a 115-foot tower on the family farm to train airmen in parachute jumping. Richard Switlik was the first person to jump from the tower to test its safety, and Earhart made the first public jump in 1935. At the beginning of World War II, the company made 2,500 parachutes weekly, and estimated that the lives of 5,000 airmen were saved by Switlik parachutes. He served as a captain in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. After the war, Richard oversaw the companys move from parachute-making to production of life vests, life rafts, and other survival gear. He received an honorary degree from Alliance College in Cambridge Springs, Pa., and was a trustee emeritus at the Peddie School. He was also past president of St. Marys Hall, in Burlington, N.J. In 1996 he was inducted into the New Jersey Aviation Hall of Fame.
Joseph W. Weber W39, Hazleton, Pa., March 2.
Vincent R. Clarke WEv40, Wilmington, Del., an employee of the DuPont Co. from 1933 until his retirement in 1976; April 21. Having learned electrical wiring, cabinetry, and furniture-making in order to work on his own house, he made reproduction furniture and did woodturning following his retirement.
Charles W. Fleming CE40, Villanova, Pa., the former president of Fleming Construction Co. in Wynnewood, and the retired vice president of the Conduit & Foundation building company; June 11. He succeeded his father as president of his familys construction firm, which built stores, offices, roads, and houses of worship in the Philadelphia area. Following the closing of Fleming Construction in the mid-1970s, he joined Conduit & Foundation until his retirement in 1991. He taught at the Williamson Free School of Mechanical Trades in Media, and chaired the Carpenters Company apprentice program. He was a trustee at Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; his unit was one of the first to land on Utah Beach on D-Day. He was stationed in the Azores during the Korean War.
David A. Heckman C40, Lansdale, Pa., May 5.
Dr. E. Downs Longaker C40 M43 GM49, West Chester, Pa., an internist who specialized in gastroenterology until his retirement in 1989; Aug. 18. He was associated with Hahnemann Hospital, the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and Bryn Mawr Hospital. In addition to maintaining his practice, he was associate director of clinical services for Smith Kline and French Laboratories, now GlaxoSmithKline, from 1953 to 1972. He served on the Lower Merion Township Board of Health, 1958-1968. While at Penn he earned money by playing clarinet in shipboard bands on transatlantic crossings during the summer; in recent years he played with the West Chester Concert Band. Dr. Longaker served with the U.S. Navy in the Caribbean, 1946-47, and returned to active duty in the United States during the Korean War.
Dr. Julius A. Seemann D40, Edison, N.J., a retired dentist; Nov. 19, 2001.
David A. Wallace Jr. Ar40 GAr41, Philadelphia, an architect and urban planner whose internationally known projects included the development of Baltimores Inner Harbor; July 19. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. After working for architects in Pennsylvania and California, he became planning and development director for Philadelphias redevelopment authority under Mayor Joseph Clark. In 1957 he left to direct planning activities for the Greater Baltimore Committee, a private business group. In 1955 he prepared a plan to revitalize Baltimores shopping district with the construction of the Charles Center, a two-million-square-foot project that is now considered one of the great U.S. urban renewal successes. A cofounder of the Philadelphia planning and design firm Wallace McHarg Roberts & Todd (now Wallace Roberts & Todd), he worked with Ian McHarg in 1963 to produce a plan to preserve Green Valley and Worthington, two important undeveloped valleys in Maryland. He followed that in 1964 with a master plan for Baltimores Inner Harbor, a 300-acre property that he spent 25 years developing on the citys waterfront. The fact that he did the Inner Harbor woke up planners. It made them think about cities and how they really work, said Bob Brown, a partner at Brown & Keener Urban Design in Philadelphia. He created a movement in waterfronts that was more humane. Dozens of cities around the world have copied the model that he established in Baltimore. He went on to work on New Jerseys Hudson riverfront and Philadelphias Liberty Place, and prepared a master plan for the moribund Lower Manhattan district in response to the erection of the World Trade Center. Throughout his career he remained committed to promoting the dual concepts of improving cities and limiting sprawl. He became known for inventing an urban design and growth modeling procedure that evaluated existing conditions, determined the susceptibility-to-change, forecast the probability-of-change, and proposed a design response. He taught planning and urban design first at the University of Chicago and then at Penn, from 1962 to 1979. He officially retired as partner from Wallace Roberts & Todd in 1991, but remained director of special projects for several years. In 2003 the American Planning Association honored him with its Distinguished Leadership Award. His book, Urban Planning/My Way, was published by the Associations Press in 2004.
1942 | Raphael T. Goldman W42, Merion, Pa., Feb. 24. His wife is Biena Milestone Goldman Ed47 GEd48 and one of his daughters is Nanci Goldman Packman CW76 GEd76. His brother is J. Henry Goldman W43 and his sister is Rose Goldman Levenson CW47. His brother-in-law is Dr. Howard L. Levenson GM50.
Helen M. Hoersch CW42, Philadelphia, April 5.
Joseph F. Hornor ChE42, West Palm Beach, Fla., a market research executive at Xerox Corporation until his retirement in 1984; July 7. He began his career at Corning Glass Works and then worked in process control for the Honeywell Corporation. Later he joined IBM, where he was involved in the development of the companys first computers. And he headed market research for instrumentation at the Stamford Research Institute before going to work for Xerox. He was a contributing author to a chemical engineering handbook.
Dallas B. Mallonee NEd42, Berlin, Md., July 15, 2003.
Dr. Henry P. Pechstein C42, Hempstead, N.Y., a retired psychiatrist; March 9.
Leonard J. Rautenberg W42, Manhasset, N.Y., the president of Darlington Fabrics Corporation, a textile manufacturing firm in New York, until his retirement in 1990; April 9. During World War II he was a U.S. Navy lieutenant who served on aircraft carriers in the Pacific. His daughter is Ellen L. Rautenberg CW73, and one of his sons is Thomas D. Rautenberg C81.
Sidney Ritch C42, North Palm Beach, Fla., Feb. 9, 2003.
Antonio E. Santeiro W42, Coral Gables, Fla., Dec. 10, 2003.
Dr. Hugh L. Allen M43, Erie, Pa., a retired physician; Jan. 18.
Dr. Lawrence J. Bell G43, Kennett Square, Pa., professor emeritus and retired chair of business administration at St. Josephs University; July 16. He joined the faculty of St. Josephs in 1944 and later became a full professor; he retired in 1984. In 1963 he received a Ford Foundation fellowship to research labor economics at Harvard University. He had been a volunteer at the Overbrook School for the Blind.
Joseph L. Gruber W43, Port Saint Lucie, Fla., Oct. 2, 2003.
Albert O. Mowrer W43, Chester Springs, Pa., May.
Deane H. Shapiro W43, Louisburg, Kan., the founder and operator of several companies, most recently, Financial Acceptance Corporation, until his retirement in 1976; July 24. Trained by the FBI, he was a volunteer with the Johnson County sheriffs department, and he investigated crimes for the Arizona attorney general in Tucson. He testified as an expert witness for prosecutors and plaintiffs in white-collar crime cases across the country. He was a world-class tournament bridge player. During World War II he flew B-24 bombers for the U.S. Army.
Dr. Charles F. Thumm C43 V45, Lakewood, Wash., a veterinarian in the U.S. Army Veterinary Corps from 1944 until his retirement as a colonel in 1973; July 11.
Dr. Frederick Urbach C43 GM46, Villanova, Pa., retired chair of dermatology at Temple University; July 8. He was chief cancer research dermatologist at Roswell Park Memorial Institute in Buffalo, N.Y., before joining the Temple faculty in 1958. He chaired the dermatology department from 1967 until his retirement in 1989. For 31 years he served on the staff of the former Skin and Cancer Hospital, which was affiliated with Temple. An authority on photobiology, Dr. Urbach wrote more than 200 articles and six textbooks. He was devoted to educating the public about the dangers of tanning and overexposure to sun. In 1963 he researched the effects of ultraviolet radiation of the sun on vulnerable parts of the face and neck, finding that umbrellas and hats did not provide adequate protection. Later he traveled worldwide, including the North and South Poles, studying the increase of ultraviolet light caused by depletion of the earths ozone layer. Following his retirement, Dr. Urbach continued to write and consult, including for NASA. In 1991 he received a medal from the International Congress for Photobiology in Kyoto, Japan. At this years meeting, the congress established a research fund in his honor, according to his son.
Dr. George N. Wade Jr. V43, Mechanicsburg, Pa., a retired veterinarian; Aug. 4.
Ruth Baskin White CW43, Washington, a retired attorney; April 7, 2003.
Norman D. Hughes C44, Ocean City, N.J., June 9, 2001.
Catherine A. Yanulaitis NEd44, McAdoo, Pa., Nov. 25, 2000.
Dr. Edgar G. Kempton D45, Haverford, Pa., a dentist for 35 years, until his retirement in 1990; June 14. During the Korean War he served as a dentist for the U.S. Army at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland. Dr. Kempton was a board member of the Lansdowne Symphony Orchestra. And he was a master bridge player.
Dr. Robert J. Ruby D45, Trumbull, Ct., a dentist in Stamford, Ct., until his retirement in 1986; June 22. A passionate golfer, he was the former Connecticut Father and Son State Champion and the Connecticut State Dental Champion.
Willard G. Ryan Jr. WEv45 CCC57, Wilmington, Del., Nov. 29, 2003.
Herman M. Steinberg WEv45, Northridge, Calif., Feb. 9.
Dr. Frederick E. Zimmer M45 GM49, Fort Myers, Fla., a retired physician; April 27. His wife is Dr. Cynthia Swartley Zimmer M45 GM49.
1946 | Richard A. Bloch W46, Kansas City, Mo., a co-founder of H&R Block tax preparation service; July 21. He began his career as an accountant for his familys bookkeeping business. In 1955 he and his brother Henry renamed the firm H&R Block Inc., and began focusing exclusively on tax preparation. A year later they opened seven offices in New York. The company went public in 1962 and has since expanded to include offices in 11 countries, including Canada, Australia, and Britain. Following his own struggle with cancer in 1978 and again in 1980, he started a cancer hot line that year that helped patients find treatment. He then began the R. A. Bloch Cancer Foundation, which manages the hot line, and established a National Cancer Survivor Day, held annually to increase awareness about the disease. In 1990 he dedicated a park to cancer survivors in Kansas City; since then about 20 other parks have been dedicated to survivors.
Jane Russell Brown Ed46 GEd55, Willow Grove, Pa., Dec. 16.
David Forshay Jr. W46, Upper Montclair, N.J., the retired comptroller of the Institute of International Education in New York; July 5. During World War II he served as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Corps and was a pilot instructor.
Dr. Philip Grallnick C46, Boca Raton, Fla., a retired dentist; Aug. 21, 1999.
Dr. Elmer B. Kipp V46, Allentown, Pa., the owner and operator of Dr. Kipps Veterinarian Hospital for 40 years, before retiring in 1987; July 5. He sang bass with the Lehigh Valley Harmonizers. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.
Dr. Jerome Levine D46, Madison, N.J., a retired dentist; Dec. 14, 2003.
Dr. Oscar O. Selke Jr. GM46, China Spring, Tex., a retired physician; April 12, 2003.
Howard J. Stagg III WG46, Naples, Fla., Sept. 16, 2003.
Jacques S. Zinman WG46, Pompano Beach, Fla., an insurance executive; June 4. He was also known as an art collector and horse breeder. He was honored by the Jewish Federation of Philadelphia and Israel Bonds. During World War II he served as a flight officer in the Pacific Theater.
Ralph G. McConnell G47, Springfield, Pa., chair of English at Upper Darby High School until his retirement in 1984; June 18. He began his career at a private boys school in Asheville, N.C., and then taught American literature at Muhlenberg College. In 1952 he joined the Upper Darby faculty, where he taught English and chaired the department for 12 years. During his tenure he developed an English handbook for incoming students, and introduced and taught a course on comparative religions. And he coached the tennis team for 17 years, including during the summer. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps as a bombardier. He flew 72 combat missions, including those in support of the D-Day invasion, and was awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross. His wife is Marie Carlson McConnell Ed40.
Sidney Moskoff Ed47 GEd53, Philadelphia, June 16.
Juliet Dulany Roby CW47, Kennett Square, Pa., an artist whose sculptures, paintings, and mobiles had been exhibited in galleries in Philadelphia, Washington, and Virginia; June 18. She supported Native American students through the Futures for Children Friendship Program for more than 30 years. Her husband, Dr. R. Ross Roby M50, died Nov. 17, 2002. One of her sons is Dr. Daniel D. Roby Gr86, and her daughter is Dr. Kate A. W. Roby V80.
Charles H. Woodland W47, Folsom, Pa., Aug. 5, 2003.
Margaret B. Woodruff Ed47 GEd58, Chambersburg, Pa., July 4, 2001.
Doris Claire Eppright Woolery CW47, Downingtown, Pa., May 22.
Dr. John A. Cocke GM48, Virginia Beach, Va., a retired physician; May 30.
Thomas F. Devine L48, Drexel Hill, Pa., a retired real estate attorney; July 16.
Margaret Keenan Hepburn NTS48, Lansdale, Pa., a retired nurse; June 20. She began her career at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Following the raising of her family, she returned to nursing in the 1970s to work for an oral surgeon in Warminster, and later joined the staff of the Northwestern Institute of Psychiatry in Fort Washington, where she worked with the elderly until her retirement in the early 1990s.
Joyce Adams Howard CW48, New Smyrna Fla., Nov. 13, 2003.
Raymond J. King W48, Sun City West, Ariz., May 14.
Richard J. Lichten W48, Highland Beach, Fla., March 31, 2001. His wife is Pearl Kupperman Lichten Ed49.
W. Annette Massey Ed48, Morgantown, W. Va., Dec. 8, 2003.
Manfried Mauskopf G48, Philadelphia, Aug. 29, 2002.
Hermine Strickler Mitchell Ar48, Philadelphia, one of the founders of the American Institute of Architects bookstore in Philadelphia and of the Philadelphia School Districts architecture-in-education program; June 15. She was a board member of Wyck, a national historic landmark in Germantown. Her husband is Ehrman B.Mitchell, Jr. Ar48.
Howard L. Steinhardt W48, Spokane, Wash., Nov. 5, 2003.
Edgar B. Therasse W48, Dearborn Heights, Mich., May 11.
1949 | Col. Aaron S. Chernoff C49, Clearwater, Fla., a retired teacher at the Widener Memorial School in Philadelphia and a retired U.S. Army Reserve colonel; May 22. At Penn he was a member of ROTC. He served in the Armys military government branch, later renamed civil affairs. In 1955 he won a competition to design an insignia for the new branch. Col. Chernoff often helped conduct ecumenical and Jewish religious services at reserve posts around the country. The Army presented him with a prayer shawl embroidered with an American eagle for his religious work, according to his daughter. In 1976 he was the Armys projects officer in charge of logistics for the July Fourth celebration at Independence Hall. He retired from the Army Reserve in 1988. He taught English and social studies at Stetson Middle School in Philadelphia for 10 years, and then taught handicapped children at the Widener School for more than 20 years, retiring in 1992.
Dr. John J. Logue G49, Swarthmore, Pa., professor emeritus of political science at Villanova University, where he taught for 30 years until his retirement in 1989; May 31. He was the founder and director of the schools Common Heritage Institute and published extensively on United Nations reform, international relations, and laws of the sea. Before joining the faculty at Villanova, he had taught at Notre Dame and Fordham Universities. He had been a visiting lecturer at a number of universities in the U.S. and abroad, and had addressed parliamentary groups in four countries. He also wrote a play, Freedom of the Seize, which used humor, wordplay, and creativity to bring attention to timely issues, according to his son. Dr. Logue, a Democrat, ran unsuccessfully for U.S. Congress in 1966. He had unsuccessful campaigns for the U.S. Senate in 1970, 1980, 1982, and 1988. He was chair of the Penjerdel Open Space Committee in the 1960s. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army. While training with the 10th Mountain Division in Colorado, he read a book advancing the thesis that only world government can prevent war, which led to his co-founding the Philadelphia chapter of the United World Federalist, now the World Federalist Association.
Joseph E. B. Shi WG49, Gainesville, Ga., March 10.
Jack L. Siegal C49, Santa Monica, Calif., the president and general manager of Chagal Cos., which owned FM radio stations including KJOI and KFOX of Los Angeles; July 16. At Penn he started the Universitys radio station, WXPN-FM. Following a stint as a reporter and director on Edward R. Murrows See It Now television program, he managed radio, television, and film activities for IBM, including coverage of the Gemini and Apollo space missions. By the 1960s he had moved into developing television and radio stations in Vermont. After relocating to Los Angeles in 1970, he started KJOI and several stations, converting southern California listeners from AM to FM. His most recent station, KFOX, provides Korean-language programming. Active in Santa Monica civic affairs, he chaired the citys Convention and Visitors Bureau. During the Korean War, he was a radio combat correspondent for the U.S. Navy, and arranged radio and television coverage of the wars truce negotiations at Kaesong and Panmunjom.
Dr. John D. Silbar GM49, Milwaukee, a retired urologist; Dec. 1, 2003.
Charles M. Brindley EE50 WG51 GME55, Merchantville, N.J., a retired manager for RCA Corporation; July 5.
Earle W. Carvin Jr. W50, Hemet, Calif., Nov. 30, 2003.
Henry B. Cohn W50, Philadelphia, Nov. 8, 2003. He had worked for Chestnut Management, Inc.
John M. Fernberger ME50, Marblehead, Mass., Dec. 25, 2003.
Dr. Jaime H. Font GM50, San Juan, P.R., a retired physician; Dec. 22, 2003.
Dr. Edward H. Hanhausen Jr. M50, Villanova, Pa., an ophthalmologist for more than 45 years; June 29. He maintained a practice in Wayne and then in Paoli, and was on the staff of Paoli Memorial and Bryn Mawr Hospitals. From 1956 to 1958 he served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps and was stationed at an Army hospital in France.
Frank R. Kollmansperger W50, Norfolk, Va., July 20, 2001.
Joseph F. Larkin W50, Upper Darby, Pa., January.
Edward A. Marcinkevich Sr. CE50, Westmont, N.J., Jan. 24.
Vincent J. McGettigan W50, Mount Pleasant, S.C., Nov. 28, 2000.
Jerry A. Odell W50, Wynnewood, Pa., the president of the former Clair Odell Group, an insurance brokerage firm that is now part of Citizens Bank; June 21. He taught courses in insurance before forming S. Odell & Son with his father in 1953. The firm eventually became the Clair Odell Group before merging with Citizens. He was a former president of the White Manor Country Club. He served in the Naval Reserve, 1946-51.
Ann W. Stratton SW50, Shreveport, La., a retired social worker and activist in Philadelphia and Shreveport; July 19. As a tribute to her history of community involvement, the mayor of Shreveport proclaimed July 13, 2004, as Ann Wilder Stratton Day, citing her as a champion for and a voice for the people. Charles Kirkland, director of the Shreveport Metropolitan Planning Commission, who considered her a mentor said, Ann was truly a spokesperson for the rights of all citizens. She was never afraid to get up and say what she thought had to be said to whomever it needed to be said to.
Dr. Nolton E. Fowler GD51, Santa Monica, Calif., a retired dentist; Dec. 25, 2003.
Willard L. Grantz GEd51, Bel Air, Md., a retired Baltimore County high school gym teacher; June 15. He taught health and physical education at what was then Dundalk Junior-Senior High School for 12 years and at Parkville High School for 18 years, before retiring in 1975. During World War II, he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy. He was wounded during an attack on the landing craft tank team he commanded in Italy, for which he received a Purple Heart.
Dr. William E. Kelly GM51, Williamsburg, Va., a retired physician; April 30, 2002.
Susan Fine Komarow CW51, Dec. 29, 2002.
Rear Adm. James J. McHugh C51 L54, Carmichael, Calif., the judge advocate general of the U.S. Navy from 1982 to 1984; May 8. At Penn he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and associate editor of the Law Review. He had served at a number of U.S. Naval posts in California, Hawaii, and Washington. He led a special court of inquiry after the spy ship U.S.S. Pueblo was seized by North Korea and the crew held for 11 months in 1968. In 1978 he became assistant judge advocate general for civil law, and by 1980 was deputy judge advocate general. Rear Adm. McHugh was appointed judge advocate general, the Navys top-ranking military lawyer, in 1982. After retiring from the military in 1984, he was associate dean for career development at the McGeorge School of Law at the University of the Pacific in Sacramento, Calif., until 1993. His military awards include the Distinguished Service Medal for his work in the judge advocate generals office, two Legions of Merit, two Meritorious Service medals, and the Navy Commendation Medal.
Joseph S. Mirante WEv51, Drexel Hill, Pa., May 14.
Dr. Gael L. Turnbull M51, Worcester, U.K., an anesthesiologist, poet, and editor; July 2. He began his career as a doctor at logging camps in Ontario. He worked in London, 1955-56, and as an anesthetist at the Ventura County Hospital in California, before relocating his practice to Worcester in 1964. During the 1960s he was the editor of Migrant Press. His poems have appeared in a variety of publications, including A Gathering of Poems, 1950-1980 (Anvil Press, 1983). His collections include A Trampoline: Poems 1952-1964, A Year and A Day (1985), For Whose Delight (Nariscat Press, 1995), and Transmutations (Shoestring Press, 1997). An edition of his later poems is forthcoming from Etruscan Press. He became known as a tireless, though never hectoring, advocate of the work of other poets, including a number who were virtually unknown before he advocated their cause, according to John Lucas, the editor of Shoestring Press. A collection of letters sent to Dr. Turnbull from poets Charles Olson, William Carlos Williams M1906, Hon52, and Louis Zukofsky is in the manuscript collection of Columbia University.
Dr. Mildred Laverell Gr52, Philadelphia, May 17. Her nephew is Judson D. Laverell II W61, and her niece is Judeth Butterworth Reinke SW62.
Frieda W. McMullan Nu52 GEd58, Kennett Square, Pa., May 19.
Dr. Ferdinand G. Neurohr D52, Homosassa, Fla., a retired dentist; Nov. 2003.
Doris Hultgren Snyder Nu52, Pinellas Park, Fla., March 18, 2003.
Dr. Stanley C. Hollander G54, East Lansing, Mich., March 9. He had worked in the marketing department of Michigan State University.
Lauri J. Kurki Jr. Ar54, Southampton, Pa., a retired architect who, while with the Ballinger Co., managed the design of the U.S. Embassy building in Kabul, Afghanistan; June 21. An expert witness on building methods and construction, he testified throughout the U.S. He was a charter member and designed the original building of Saint Andrews United Methodist Church in Warminster, where he served as a trustee and sang in the choir. During World War II he was a commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy, serving as a chief engineer and officer of the deck underway aboard the cruiser U.S.S. St. Paul and the destroyer Escort William T. Powell.
George N. McCrea GEd54, Newport, Maine, March 16.
Dr. Anthony D. Vamvas Jr. GM54, Bonita Springs, Fla., a retired physician; Sept. 9, 2001.
Rolf O. Ware W54, Lake Worth, Fla., June 8.
Thomas A. Franklin W55, Worton, Md., a transportation specialist at Lukens Steel in Coatesville, Pa., for 28 years, until his retirement in 1987; June 22. At Penn he was a member of the football and lacrosse teams. He had served in a U.S. Army unit that transported supplies to the Arctic Circle.
William W. Haines WEv55, Wynnewood, Pa., June 14. His wife is Mary Elizabeth Vogdes Haines Ed46.
Morris L. Krome W55, New York, winner of multiple French and other European tennis tournaments; Nov. 17, 2003. At Penn he won the All-University tennis championship in 1951 and 1953, and won the University Championships in 1953 and 1955. During a two-year tour of duty in the U.S. Army, he won 22 of the 24 international tennis matches he played, including the French International Championship in Paris in 1956, the Annual Invitational Tournament in Meaux, and the Orleans Singles Championship in 1957. While abroad, he bonded with the French tennis fans, who nicknamed him Smiles for his enormous grin upon winning. He worked for his father in Baltimore until starting his own international shoe import business, which took him to Romania, Spain, Italy, and South Korea for long stays. In 1985, Maury (as he preferred to be called) became a broker for Lehman Brothers in New York; after a brief retirement that began in 2000, he was planning to re-enter the brokerage business last December.
Althea M. Taliaferro SW55, Mesa, Ariz., May 9, 1999.
1956 | Hon. James R. Cavanaugh L56, West Chester, Pa., senior judge of the Superior Court of Pennsylvania; Aug. 13. From 1956 to 1969 he was a personal-injury lawyer at Richter, Lord & Levy. He ran unsuccessfully for Congress and for Philadelphia city controller before becoming a judge. He served for 10 years on the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas and was appointed to the Superior Court in 1979. As a Superior Court judge, he ruled on several high-profile cases and was sometimes critical of officials whom he believed had acted improperly. And he was known for maintaining dignity in the courtroom. Soon after his appointment to the Common Pleas Court in 1969, Judge Cavanaugh lectured Ed Rendell, then an assistant district attorney and now governor of Pennsylvania, on courtroom decorum when he noticed him swinging his legs back and forth while sitting on the prosecutors table. After retiring at the mandatory age of 70, he served as senior judge on the Superior Court, working per diem. Judge Cavanaugh was a former chair of the advisory committee of the Prisoners Family Welfare Association and a chair and founder of Self-Help, an outreach organization for alcoholics and drug addicts. And he served on the board of the Mummers Museum.
John A. Erickson L56, Berwyn, Pa., an attorney and executive in commercial property management; June 18. He was appointed assistant U.S. attorney for the Eastern district of Pennsylvania and then served on the staff of the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Co. Later he joined the legal staff of Reliance Insurance Co. He then acquired an interest in and became executive vice president of Reed & Stambaugh Co., a real estate firm. He went on to head the property-management division of Jackson-Cross Co. as senior vice president. He served as an executive with the Resolution Trust Co. before retiring in 1995. He was director of the Philadelphia Board of Realtors and a member of its executive committee. He was president of Building Owners Labor Relations Inc. He chaired the building committee of the United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania for more than 20 years and was a United Way trustee and director. He had been a U.S. Air Force officer during the Korean War and again during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Tom C. McCollum WEv56, Doylestown, Pa., Nov. 15, 2000.
Col. Earl H. Mickelsen WG56, Lake Oswego, Ore., April 8.
Francis J. Roth WG56, Chatham, Mass., Sept. 16, 2003.
Bernard V. Vonderschmitt GEE56, Jasper, Ind., an electrical engineer who led early semiconductor research efforts and who later pioneered the business of separating chip design and manufacturing; June 9. He was a researcher at RCA Corporation for 34 years, where he was involved in an early industry rivalry over the design of color television. In 1953 he was picked to head the development of a color television project at the company. That group developed the National Television System Committee standard, which remains in use in to this day. He was vice president and general manager of RCAs solid-state division from 1972 to 1979. While at RCA he received the David Sarnoff Award for work in integrated circuits for color television. He later led the development of a semiconductor-manufacturing process known as complementary metal-oxide-silicon, before moving to Silicon Valley in 1979 to lead the component division of Zilog, Inc. In 1984 Bernard Vonderschmitt and two partners founded the company Xilinx Inc., to create a new class of semiconductor chips known as field-programmable gate arrays. During his tenure at Xilinix, he pioneered its business strategy of close partnerships with semiconductor manufacturers, freeing it from costly investments in foundries in order to focus resources on research, design, and marketing. He retired as chief executive officer and chair of the board in 2003. He served on the board for Sanmina-SCI Corporation and Gyration. In 2002 Bernard Vonderschmitt received the Moore Schools D. Robert Yarnall Award. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy as an electronics officer.
Peter S. Wright GME56, Houston, Aug. 28, 2000.
1957 | Dr. Bernard S. Baker ChE57 GCh59, Bethel, Conn., a pioneer in the field of electrochemistry, whose career spanned 45 years; June 21. A founder of Energy Research Corporation (now FuelCell Energy, Inc.), he served the company as president, chief executive officer, and chair until his retirement in 1997. His pioneering work on direct fuel cells, allowed fuel to be sent directly to the cell instead of requiring the extraction of hydrogen from the energy source before it could be used in the cell. Today, systems based on his design power commercial and industrial facilities throughout the world. Before joining Energy Research Corporation, Dr. Baker was director of basic sciences at the Institute of Gas Technology in Chicago, where he oversaw research in the area of energy conversion and fuel cells. Earlier he had been senior scientist in the missiles and space division of Lockheed Aircraft Corporation, where he was responsible for research on carbonate fuel cell systems and electrochemical kinetic studies. In 1959 he was a Fulbright fellow at the Laboratory for Electrochemistry at the University of Amsterdam. The author of more than 100 publications, he held 20 U.S. patents relating to fuel cells and other electrochemical systems. In 1994 Dr. Baker was the Ralph E Peck Lecturer at Illinois Institute of Technology. He received the Cecil J. Previdi Award for Entrepreneurial Spirit and Business Leadership in 1995. In 1999 he received the Grove Medal from the sixth Grove Fuel Cell Symposium in London. Dr. Gary Acres, chair of the Grove Symposium steering committee, said, Dr. Baker personifies a remarkable combination of scientific capabilities and management skills. One of his daughters is Suzanne Baker Lamerand C87.
William E. Boye W57, Franklin Lakes, N.J., a specialist on the New York Stock Exchange until his retirement in 2000; Jan. 4. His wife is Nancy Russell Boye Ed58.
Dr. David H. Weaver GM57, Washington, a retired physician; Apr. 22, 2001.
Olof G. Gustafsson GME58, Hatboro, Pa., May 21, 2002.
C. Fulton Murray Jr. ChE58, Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., March 31, 2003. He had worked for Hughes Aircraft Co.
William H. Ryan WG58, Pocono Pines, Pa., March 20.
Sonia Finkelman Scarborough CW58, Wilmington, Del., July 19. Known as Sunny, she was a senior Girl Scout leader, a tutor, and a Red Cross volunteer. She was also a supporter of animal conservation and protection, and classical music.
Lester E. Wolser W58, Philadelphia, Jan. 29, 2001.
Dr. Mary A. Keetz GEd59 Gr68, Haverford, Pa., July 22. She had worked for West Chester University.
Ralph J. Kmiec L59, Hammonton, N.J., an attorney in Camden County for 45 years; June 26. He was appointed special counsel for veterans affairs for Camden County in 1999, was a solicitor for Cherry Hill and other municipalities from the 1970s through the 1990s, and was an assistant U.S. attorney from 1961 to 1963. He served in the New Jersey National Guard and then the Army Reserve at For Dix and Fort Bliss until 1965.
George W. Rutherford WG60 GCh63, Springfield, Va., May 2.
1962 | Leroy S. Walker W62, Los Angeles, an attorney who fought for the civil rights of gay men and lesbians, as well as people with AIDS; April 5. In 1979 he was instrumental in getting then Governor Jerry Brown to ban discrimination against gay state employees. Five years later he helped amend the states hate-crimes law to include sexual orientation.
1963 | Mervyn S. C. Law GCh63, Fort Washington, Pa., the managing director of Usance Trading Co. Ltd. and Yu On Securities Co. Ltd.; July 24. Two of his sons are Christopher S. Law C90 and Samuel S. Law EE96 W96 WG03.
Geoffrey Charles Sturm W63, Chandler, Ariz., April 3. At Penn he was president of the Kappa Sigma fraternity, played shortstop on the baseball team, and received the Bus McDonald Award for the most inspirational basketball player.
S. Crozer Fox C64, Essex, Mass., June 8.
Dr. Harold W. Gleason Jr. Gr64, Shippensburg, Pa., the retired chair of English at Shippensburg University; June 5. He was a graceful writer and enjoyed writing introductions for commencement speakers and celebrity speakers at the university, said James Hanlon, a colleague there for 35 years.
1965 | Dr. Ronald S. Gottlieb M65 GM71, Ambler, Pa., the head of interventional cardiology at Graduate Hospital in Philadelphia, who performed more than 10,000 cardiac intervention procedures; July 18. While maintaining a private cardiology practice with Dr. Peter Duca, he worked at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital until going to Graduate Hospital in 1989. Dr. Gottlieb was named Top Doc in invasive cardiology by Philadelphia magazine in 1994, 1999, and 2002. Dr. Gottlieb enjoyed his work. He enjoyed the challenge of making people feel better, said Dr. Duca. During the Vietnam War, Dr. Gottlieb served as a U.S. Army doctor in South Vietnams central highlands until 1969.
Arthur B. Hill C65 GEd71, Richboro, Pa., May 22.
Stephen H. Moorehead WG65, Grand Rapids, Mich., May 16, 2001.
Gregory P. Gutman WG66, Garden City, N.Y., Feb. 8, 2003.
Francis K. Kawasaki GAr66, Belfast Maine, an architect; May 16. His wife is Yasuyo Kawasaki GCP99.
Susan Bosek Merel CW66, Bayville, N.J., April 24.
Mahesh C. Patel GCE66, Hemet, Calif., July 3, 2003.
Raymond F. Patterson Jr. WEv66, Smyrna, Del., a retired certified public accountant; June 28. He served on the boards of numerous civic, educational, and charitable organizations, including the Polytech board of education, the Kent General and Bayhealth foundations, the Delaware school board association, and the allocations panel for the United Way of Delaware. He served in the U.S. Air Force in Europe from 1953 to 1957.
Sylvia Niemiec Powell Nu66, Narberth, Pa., April 24, 2004. Her husband is Dr. Edwin J. Powell C41.
Leonard M. Hendrickson ChE68, La Canada, Calif., July 6. He worked for BioSource International, Inc.
D. Kent Tippy Jr. WG68, De Pere Wis., May 17.
David J. Seltzer G69, New York, a partner in the Seltzer Group; May 23.
1970 | Murray H. Dawson WG70, Philadelphia, a mortgage consultant with Trident Mortgage Co., a subsidiary of Prudential Fox Roach; July 24. Earlier he was a financial officer with several Philadelphia firms. From 1970 to 1975 he was captain of the First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry, a volunteer group organized in 1774 by the First Continental Congress to defend the colonies, and one of the oldest mounted military units with continuous service. He was a board member of the Wissahickon Valley Watershed Association and of the Carson Valley School, a residential facility for neglected dependent children in Flourtown.
Steven M. Feigenbaum W70, Glen Rock, N.J., June 10. At Penn he was a disc jockey for WXPN. He was a partner in the accounting firm of Feigenbaum and Menter, with Gerald Menter W70. As a student and alumnus he took an active interest in Penn sports, especially basketball. His daughter is Randi Feigenbaum Marshall C97. His sister is Charlotte Feigenbaum Spector CW73 and his brother-in-law is Dr. David J. Spector C71 Gr76.
Hon. John H. Mason L73, Newton Center, Mass., a justice of the Massachusetts Appeals Court since 2001; July 17. As an attorney in private practice, he specialized in labor and employment law, and civil rights. His prominent cases included an age-discrimination claim that went to the U.S. Supreme Court. During the Vietnam War he advised combat troops and was awarded a Bronze Star along with a Vietnamese medal of similar rank.
1977 | Dr. John R. Gregg GM77, Paoli Pa., a pediatric orthopedic surgeon for over 30 years and a teacher of orthopedics and sports medicine at Childrens Hospital and the Universitys School of Medicine; June 22. An expert in sports medicine, he was a team physician for the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1980s and was an attending orthopedic surgeon for Olympic athletes at Lake Placid, N.Y., and in Los Angeles. Dr. Gregg also directed pediatric sports medicine at Graduate Hospital in Philadelphia. He was a flight surgeon for the Second Marine Aircraft Wing in Cherry Point, N.C., 1970-72, and a lieutenant commander in the Naval Reserve, 1973-77. Dr. Gregg, who treated about 5,000 patients a year, was the type of caring doctor who gave his home phone number to every family after surgery, said his colleague, Dr. Ted Ganley.
1979 | John W. Averitt GAr79, New York, an architect of performing arts spaces in Manhattan; July 27. Having tried out medicine, law, and banking, he was inspired to embark on a career in architecture after observing the jurying of graduate-student projects at the Universitys school of design by Louis I. Kahn FA24 Hon71. He began a partnership with two other architects in New York before starting his own firm, Averitt Associates, in 1981. He came to specialize in commercial renovations of industrial buildings to create condominiums and performance spaces. He enjoyed the juxtaposition of his design against an older backdrop, said his boyhood friend, James F. Williamson Jr. GAr73, a Memphis architect. He liked to keep the older building as the context in which he was working, with the infill of modern design. His notable projects include the Village East Cinema, a landmark building on East 12th Street at Second Avenue that had previously been a Yiddish theater, and, later, his design of the 86th Street Cinema. He was on the verge of finishing his most ambitious project, the construction of a ground-up 50,000 square foot arts center on West 37th Street, which he conceived of as an industrial building for the arts. Due to be completed in Jan. 2005, it will contain theaters, studios, and the Baryshnikov Arts Center. He saw his architecture as a vehicle for relationships, said another friend, William Craddock, director of the Credo Institute. The theaters he designed generated a real sense of not just the festive spirit, but happiness. You felt good in the background that he created and didnt always realize the architecture was the cause of it.
Marva D. Saulsby-Rountree SW79, Philadelphia, a social worker who had worked for various agencies in the city, including the National Adoption Center; July 11.
1982 | Dr. John C. Dolan GrEd82, Upper Darby, Pa., a retired school principal in Philadelphia; July 2. He began his career as a social-studies teacher and was principal of several elementary schools, including Catharine and Penrose, before retiring in 1991. He then taught courses at St. Josephs University. He served on the local, state, and national levels with the Order, Sons of Italy in America and was the editor of their newspaper at the time of his death.
Gabrielle J. Pettingell WG94, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., June 7, 2002.
1996 | Dr. S. Chris Saad GrEd96, Philadelphia, owner and proprietor of Chris Corner: Books for Kids and Teens, an independent bookstore; July 31. She opened the store in Nov. 1998, in a neighborhood and literary climate dominated by chain bookstores. The Philadelphia Inquirer described the shop as filled with magic Once youre there, you never want to leave.
2000 | Gregory B. Buck C00, Brooklyn, N.Y., a project manager at Macrae-Gibson Architects; June 16. At Penn he was a member of Alpha Chi Rho fraternity. He worked on the renovation of buildings in the inner city for new schools and law offices. He felt committed to help inner-city kids have a better education, said his mother, Margaret Moore Walker CW64. And he taught a weekly architecture class at the Boston Architectural Center. In 2000 he won the ALEX prize from the National Alliance for Excellence at Harvard University, where he was studying for a masters degree from the Gund School. And he was working on a book about the renovation of charter schools. His stepfather is Frank A. Walker C65.
Dr. John R. Gregg. See Class of 1977.
G. Holmes Perkins Hon72, Philadelphia, Emeritus University Professor of Architecture and Urbanism; Aug. 25. He began his career at the University of Michigan, but returned to Harvard, his alma mater, to assume the Charles Dyer Norton Professorship of Regional Planning. There he revolutionized the teaching of urban planning while initiating a close collaboration with Walter Gropius architecture students. After serving with the National Housing Agency in Washington during World War II, he returned to Harvard in 1945 as chair of the city planning department and then became chair of the Graduate School of Design. With Gropius and Joseph Hudnut he fostered the revolution in architectural education that swept the country following World War II. In 1950 he became dean of the School of Fine Arts at Penn. He set about transforming the school by making sweeping changes in faculty and curriculum that moved the emphasis away from the Beaux-Arts methods that had dominated since the turn of the century. His earliest appointments included author and critic Lewis Mumford, and Martin Meyerson (who became president emeritus at Penn), Blanche von Lemko, and former Harvard students Robert Geddes and Ian McHarg. They were later joined by Louis I. Kahn FA24 Hon71, Denise Scott Brown GCP60 GAr65 Hon94, Robert Venturi Hon80, David A. Wallace G40 GAr41, and others. As an educator, Dean Perkins intended that the schools graduates enter the profession equipped to make humane environments for urban living, including elimination of slums and the creation of environments in harmony with nature. Under his leadership a fine-arts program was established, and the Institute of Urban Studies was organized to undertake sponsored research to foster relationships between the faculty and the city through contract research. Doctoral programs were approved and, in 1958 the School of Fine Arts became a graduate division. He continued as dean of the Graduate School of Fine Arts until 1971, and became Emeritus University Professor of Architecture and Urbanism in 1975. He was chair of the graduate group in architecture, a Ph.D. program, from 1964 to 1982, after which he continued to supervise Ph.D. candidates. The school was renamed the School of Design in 2003. Dean Perkins initiated the Institute of Contemporary Art in 1961, with an exhibition that included Barnett Newman, Robert Motherwell, and Helen Frankenthaler, among other notable modern artists, a move that convinced Penn to formally found the ICA in 1963. The ICA honored him in 2001. In his private practice he built several modern houses that gained national recognition. His principal professional activity outside of academia was as an urban planner. He served as a design consultant to numerous cities, including Baltimore for its inner-harbor project. He advised the British Ministry of Town and Country Planning in 1946. During the 1950s he advised the United Nations and the Turkish government, writing the charter for and organizing the Middle East Technical University in Ankara. Dean Perkins held numerous public service positions in Philadelphia, including president of the Philadelphia Housing Association, 1954-55; chair of the citys Planning Commission, 1958-68; and trustee of the Fairmount Park Art Association for 40 years, 1957-97. At Penn he was the driving force behind the founding of the Architectural Archives in the late 1970s and became its first curator. He established the architectural rare book collection in the Fine Arts Library in 1965. The rare book room was named the Perkins Library in 1983 in honor of his work in organizing, developing, and serving as a benefactor to the collection. He had a substantial influence on Penns architecture in the 1960s and 1970s through his participation in the Master Plan for the undergraduate Superblock, and his oversight of the acquisition of land for the project from the Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority. In 1964 he was named Chancellor of the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects. He received the AIA Medal in 1977, which cited his work at Penn and named him a major figure in the development of the design movement known as the Philadelphia School. The University awarded him an honorary doctorate in 1972. And, among many other honors, he received the Topaz Medallion for Excellence in Architectural Educationjointly awarded by the AIA/ASCAin 1979. A Distinguished Visiting Professorship has been established in his honor at the School of Design.
Donald T. Sheehan, Philadelphia, secretary emeritus and retired vice president of the University; August 12. He joined Penn in 1954 as the first director of public relations. He continued in that capacity with a new title, director of communications, concurrent with his position as secretary, in which he served from 1975-76, when he became secretary emeritus. Earlier he worked for the National Catholic Welfare Conference (now the U.S. Catholic Conference)he was a pioneer in the interfaith movement of the late 1930sand for the John Price Jones Co., as counsel to philanthropic agencies. From 1957 to 1973 he taught a graduate course in public relations and management at Drexel University. He was a co-founder and consultant to the annual Wharton Seminar for Business and Economic Writers. He was active in the formation in 1941 of the first USO for American troops. During the Korean War he served as assistant administrator of the Federal Civil Defense Administration. In 1963 he was a consultant to the national Citizens Committee for a Nuclear Test Ban. As an adviser to the National Trust for Historic Preservation, he suggested the establishment of National Historic Preservation Week, now celebrated annually in May. In 1974 he was consultant to the Citizens Action Committee to Fight Inflation established by President Gerald Ford. He served as a consultant to numerous organizations, including the Wistar Institute of Anatomy & Biology, the American Philosophical Society, the University Museum, and the Institute for Environmental Medicine at the University. He was an Honorary Fellow of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia and chair emeritus of the board of Cliveden of the National Trust, Inc. During World War II he was a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Air Force, for which he received the Bronze Star. Later he served at the Pentagon as chief of plans and policies in the air staff. He retired from the U.S. Air Force Reserve in 1971.
Dr. David A. Wallace Jr. See Class of 1940.
Dr. Cornelius N. Weygandt. See Class of 1928.
2004 The Pennsylvania Gazette