1924 | Dorothy Malzer Ed’24 G’26, Philadelphia, an English teacher in the Philadelphia public-school system for several decades; May 20. Her nephew is Ron Malzer C’72 and his son is Greg Dihlmann-Malzer EAS’09.
1927 | Dr. James I. Hykes C’27 M’30, Middlebury, Vt., a general practitioner on the Main Line, outside Philadelphia, for 64 years; May 26. Devoted to his patients, he took care of several generations of families. He was on the staff of Bryn Mawr and Lankenau hospitals. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Medical Battalion in the Solomon Islands. He had celebrated his 100th birthday in April.
Maurice Horwitz W’30, Scottsdale, Ariz., March 26.
1931 | Dr. Clarence C. Briscoe C’31 M’35, Hilton Head Island, S.C., an obstetrician and gynecologist at Pennsylvania Hospital for 35 years and an associate professor at the University’s Medical School; May 25. He retired from Pennsylvania Hospital in 1972. The Clarence Briscoe Award, for excellence in teaching and practicing obstetrics and gynecology, is given annually to an attending physician at the hospital. Before the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling of Roe v. Wade, Dr. Briscoe was an outspoken advocate for the legalization of abortion. In a commentary article in The Philadelphia Inquirer in 1972 he wrote that he had delivered more than “5,000 precious babies” and that he had also treated many women who died as the result of “back-alley” abortions. He wrote many scientific articles and an informational book for expectant mothers, Pregnancy Is Not a Disease. In 1984 he published Abortion, the Emotional Issue and in 2001 published The Roar of the Lion, a novel about a couple who was trying to conceive a child. After retiring he was a physician for Planned Parenthood in Hilton Head and served on the board of Hospice Care of the Low Country. He was past president of the Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia, and of the Audubon Society of Hilton Head.
Harold S. Pollack W’32, Reading, Pa., retired chair of Pollack Furs, a family furrier business, where he worked from 1932 until 2002; April 16. During that time he operated stores in Lebanon, Harrisburg, Pottsville, and Reading, as well as a mink farm in Deer Lake, which he managed with other family members. In 1971 he and his brother invited boxer Muhammad Ali to the mink farm to train. Ali accepted the offer and in 1971 the brothers sold Ali land on Sculp’s Hill in Orwigsburg to construct the then-famous Ali training camp, which Ali used for the Foreman, Frazier, and Norton matches. In the 1950s he chaired the Pottsville cancer drive. A member of Congregation Oheb Zedeck in Pottsville, he served as co-chair for construction of the new synagogue, 1958-60. An accomplished tournament tennis player, he was a member of the Schuylkill County tennis team that won the Middle Atlantic Team Championships several times in the 1930s; with his son Bob he won the Schuylkill County doubles championship several times in the 1970s. He played until he was 90 years old. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.
1934 | Dr. William H. Boghosian EE’34 GEE’35 GrE’50, Drexel Hill, Pa., a professor of electrical engineering at the University for 25 years, until his retirement in 1972; July 10. He worked as a consultant after retiring. He began his career as an electrical engineer at Atwater Kent in Ohio in 1938. During World War II he worked for Bell Labs in New York, developing munitions for the Army.
Dr. Hyman Boodish C’34 GrD’50, Columbia, S.C., a retired dentist; July 25, 2004.
Richard D. Case C’34 L’38, Vinalhaven, Maine, a retired attorney; June 1.
Dr. Samuel I. Haimowitz C’34, Yardley, Pa., an internist who practiced in West Philadelphia and Levittown, Pa., for over 50 years; March 3. At Penn he was awarded the Freshman Entrance Prize from the mathematics department. He was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and graduated summa cum laude. He received his medical degree from the University of Maryland. One of his greatest pleasures was attending Philadelphia Orchestra concerts at the Academy of Music with his wife, Esthella. “He loved Penn and Philadelphia,” said one of his daughters, Dr. Marcia Haimowitz C’82; another daughter is Julia Haimowitz C’87. His sister is Reba Haimowitz CW’43 PSW’46. During World War II he served as a captain in the U.S. Army and was awarded a Silver Star for gallantry in action.
Sidney Mager WEF’34, Wilkes Barre, Pa., April 20.
Stan H. Fishman W’36, Fort Wayne, Ind., the co-manager, with his brother, of Fishman’s Women’s Apparel for over 40 years; May 17. The store grew to three locations in Fort Wayne before closing in 1986. He then became a consultant to several local businesses, including Instant Copy, Lassus Handy Dandy, and Pizza Hut. He was a director of and active in fundraising efforts for the Fort Wayne Philharmonic; during the 1960s he chaired or co-chaired several popular events on behalf of the orchestra, including the first simulcast of radio and television ever performed in Fort Wayne. He also served on the boards of the Civic Theatre and the Fort Wayne Downtown Association. He was a champion speed skater for the YMCA and an Indiana state handball doubles champion. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Reserve as a lieutenant colonel.
George D. Fraser W’36, Raleigh, N.C., a naval flight instructor who, with his brother, owned the Clear-Ridge Airport in Omaha, Neb.; June 5, 2003.
Milton L. Greenberg W’36, Rockville, Md., Aug. 2, 2004.
Fred H. Oeschger WEV’36, Havertown, Pa., Sept. 13, 2004.
Clell G. Stien W’36, Stevens Point, Wis., Sept. 8, 2004.
Catherine M. Bradley Ed’37, Lomita, Calif., 2002.
Dr. Frances R. Fussell Gr’37, Philadelphia, a social scientist in the federal government; July 15. She was a member of Swarthmore College faculty in 1941 when she was recruited to work for the War Production Board in Washington. After World War II she worked at the State Department and for the Joint Congressional Committee on Foreign Economic Policy. She was a consultant to the Executive Office of the President and helped write speeches for President Truman, 1950-51.
Dr. Robert M. Greenbaum C’37 GEd’41 D’44, Falmouth, Maine, a retired dentist; June 9.
Herman F. Kerner L’37, Miami, a retired attorney; June 10.
1938 | Dr. Albert A. Auerbach C’38 GEE’50, Philadelphia, a computer scientist who founded Medalert Corp., one of the first pacemaker-monitoring services; May 28. In 1947 he was named project engineer at Eckert-Mauchly Computer Corp. and Remington Rand in Philadelphia. He designed the first computer sold to the U.S. Census Bureau, according to his wife, Sylvia. He became chief engineer for Underwood Corp. in New York in 1952, where he developed a line of computers, data converters, and machines that sorted magnetic tape. He left Underwood in 1957 to found Digitronics Corp. in Albertson, N.Y. After five years he sold his stake in the company, which by then had more than 400 employees. He taught physiology and other subjects at Albert Einstein College of Medicine from 1967 until 1972, when he founded Medalert Corp. in New York; he sold his stock to Survival Technologies in 1979. A member of Philadelphia’s Rittenhouse Astronomical Society, he began lecturing on cosmology at the Franklin Institute in 1989. And he was a licensed private pilot for decades until the 1980s. In 1942 he worked on radar at the U.S. Army Air Force Tactical Aviation Center in Orlando, Fla.; he was discharged as a captain in 1946.
Jack R. Heyison L’38, Oil City, Pa., a retired attorney; May 31.
Dr. Gerald M. Jaffe C’38 Gr’42, Verona, N.J., a retired chemist; Feb. 8. Joining Hoffmann-LaRoche in 1947, he was a key player in the development of isoniazid, a medication which is still used for the prevention of tuberculosis following exposure to the disease. He also became an expert on vitamin C. From 1959 to 1983 he was head of Hoffmann’s process-study department, which designed production for vitamins and other pharmaceuticals, including xylitol (the sugar substitute), and L-dopa, a treatment for Parkinson’s Disease. After retiring in 1983 he formed a consulting firm, InterTech Associates, with clients in the U.S. and Israel. An accomplished amateur sculptor, he had several pieces accepted in juried shows. He served as president of his synagogue in the 1970s and celebrated his second bar mitzvah at the age of 83. He served on the boards of several agencies of the United Jewish Federation of MetroWest New Jersey.
Lester S. Klein W’38, Boca Raton, Fla., a retired business executive; Oct. 24, 2004. Known as “Lefty,” at Penn he played football and baseball and was a member of Phi Sigma Delta fraternity. He was the founder of Kayline Processing, Inc., of Trenton, N.J., and the American Institute of Design, Philadelphia, according to his son Bob. In Trenton he was past president of the Jewish Community Center, co-chair of the Jewish Federation, and a board member of Har Sinai Temple. After retiring to Florida in 1982, he served as president of the management association at Hunter’s Run in Boynton Beach. A passionate golfer, he played into his mid-80s. He remained good friends with many of his classmates and often visited his roommate, Robert Magid W’38. During World War II he served in the Navy as a navigator on LCI 598 and participated in the landings at Leyte, Linguyen Gulf, and Okinawa.
Raymond J. Kornfeld W’38, Los Angeles, a certified public accountant in the Los Angeles area for 60 years; June 10. He was active in numerous philanthropic and education institutions, including Jewish Free Loan, the Henry George School of Social Science, and Penn. During World War II he was a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy, serving in the South Pacific.
Irene Byj Morgan WEF’38, Mountain Top, Pa., Nov. 18, 2004.
Leonard Sarner C’38 L’41, Philadelphia, a practicing attorney for more than 50 years and the founder of the city’s first law-review school; May 1. During the 1940s he worked with the tax division of the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington. He returned to Philadelphia in 1950 and during the early part of that decade he and two other attorneys formed the firm Wolkin, Sarner, Cooper. At the same time he co-founded the Levin Sarner Brown Bar Review School in the city, the first and only one of its kind in Pennsylvania until 1976. The school operated until 1983. “Leonard was a tall, thin, impressive figure with a booming voice,” said U.S. District Judge Charles R. Weiner. “Many of us were tired and going to night school. He woke us up with his voice and by clapping his hands. Most who took his course passed the bar.” A tax-procedure attorney, he argued two cases before the U.S. Supreme Court and his last case before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court when he was 86, according his daughter Felicia. He retired from Sarner & Associates in 2004. One of his daughters is Amy Sarner Williams CW’73.
Roxie M. Stitzer DH’38, Columbus, Ga., May 2.
Dr. Ned B. Williams D’38, Hilton Head Island, S.C., emeritus professor and chair of microbiology at the Penn School of Dental Medicine; April 25. He was also a former director of the Center for Oral Health Research. He had served as a major in the U.S. Army at the Walter Reed Army Hospital.
Lt. Helen L. Evans OT’39, Carlsbad, Calif., April 2004.
Robert G. Feeney ChE’39, Pomona, Calif., March 16.
John J. Foster W’39, Shawnee Mission, Kan., March 21. At Penn he was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity; in 1979 he was named the Beta Man of the Year by the Beta Alumni Association of Kansas City. He had a 60-year career with Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co., during which he received numerous awards, including Missouri Life Underwriter of the Year in 1980 and the Herbert A. Hedges Award, presented by the Kansas City Life Underwriters Association. He was a mentor to many young agents; a local NML agency award is named in his honor. He was a former trustee and chair of the Kansas City Employment Retirement System and a former trustee of the Medical Center of Independence. He was past director of numerous community and commercial and organizations, including the Visiting Nurse Association and the Baltimore Bank and Trust Co. He was a former trustee of the Kansas City Museum. In World War II he served as a captain under the command of Gen. George S. Patton. He was awarded four Battle Stars and additionally received the Croix de Guerre with a Silver Star from the French government.
James A. Moore W’39, Baton Rouge, La., Sept. 30, 2002. He had retired from Exxon Corp. in Houston in 1982. His son Larry said, “He was extremely proud of graduating from the University of Pennsylvania and had only good things to say of his time there.”
Robert W. Pechin W’39, Phoenixville, Pa., Dec. 11, 2004.
Dr. John F. Barber M’40, Asheville, N.C., a retired physician; March 10.
Dr. Irvin Cutler C’40 M’44, Elkins Park, Pa., a former physician at Elkins Park Hospital, where he was chair of pediatrics for 20 years; July 20.
Thomas H. Huhn W’40, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Nov. 19, 2004.
1941 | John R. Clark L’41, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a partner at the Philadelphia law firm of Dechert LLP, until his retirement in 1983; Feb. 18. He remained active at the firm after retiring. According to his wife, Cecily, early in his career he was asked to do legal consulting for an architect. At the time there were unresolved issues regarding responsibility for structural problems in a newly constructed building. He became an expert in that field and was counsel to national engineering and architectural organizations. He wrote several publications on legal issues in the construction industry and lectured on the topic to design professionals and contractors nationwide. In 1989 he received an award from the National Association of Professional Engineering Society for his contributions to the field. He served on the board of Pennsylvania Hospital from 1950 to 1989, chairing it for 10 years. He was a board member of White-Williams Scholars, an organization that provides financial support to low-income high school students; in 1999 the group established the John R. Clark Scholarship Fund in honor of his support of two generations of disadvantaged students. A member of several other boards, he also served in the vestry and was warden at Christ Church in Ithan. He was an annual volunteer at the Philadelphia Flower Show. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific. One of his daughters is Susan Clark Ogden CW’66.
Brian L. Daly C’41, Medford, N.J., Jan. 16.
Edward M. Donohue ChE’41, Millville, N.J., March 23.
Donald D. Fisher Ar’41, New York, Nov. 19, 2004.
Nancy Freed Godshall CW’41, Sellersville, Pa., Dec. 14, 2004.
Doris Crispen Knipe Ed’41, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., June 23.
Timothy F. Moriarty Jr. C’41, Philadelphia, Oct. 30, 2004.
Edward B. Frankel W’42 WG’43, Boca Raton, Fla., March 20.
Gloria Kaufman Hahn CW’42, Hightstown, N.J., a retired public relations director for Vogue magazine; March 14.
Dr. William O. Hendrickson GM’42, Lac du Flambeau, Wis., a retired otolaryngologist; Aug. 12, 2004.
David E. Longacre Jr. W’42, Moorestown, N.J., the treasurer of the township of Moorestown for 13 years; May 2. He was a former treasurer of the Burlington County College Foundation and was a past secretary of the Moorestown Breakfast Rotary Club. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.
Robert W. Strange W’42 WG’43, Issaquah, Wash., Dec. 12, 2002.
1943 | Ernest S. Alson W’43, Harrison, N.Y., a certified public accountant, entrepreneur, and corporate executive with World Wide Holdings in New York for more than 50 years; June 12. At Penn he was co-captain of the tennis team. He was a record-holding fly fisherman, along with his wife, Elaine Sloane Alson CW’47. As a U.S. Naval lieutenant in World War II, he served as a Naval Air Corps flight instructor. His children are Andrew C. Alson C’68, Marjorie Alson Landis CW’70, and Lynn Alson Canning CW’73.
Robert J. McAllister W’43, Bryn Mawr, Pa., March 20.
Frank E. Wetzel W’43, Chestertown, Md., Feb. 2, 2001.
Arthur L. Winer W’43, Haverhill, Mass., Nov. 2, 2004.
Joseph MacAllister W’44, Mount Laurel, N.J., Aug. 7, 2002.
Frances L. Montgomery PSW’44, Ottawa, Dec. 2004.
Dr. Daniel S. Feldman C’45 M’49, Augusta, Ga., professor emeritus of neurology at the Medical College of Georgia; June 5. As a Robert Sterling Clarke Foundation Fellow, he served as a visiting professor at the University of Lund, Sweden. He received a Career Investigator Award from the Health Research Council of New York city. He held leadership positions in several professional organizations, including the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation, the American Academy of Neurology, and the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. A senior associate examiner of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, he also served as president of the faculty organization at the State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center. While at Georgia he was residency program director. He was active in the Augusta cultural community, including the local symphony and opera. He had been a medical officer in the U.S. Naval Reserve assigned to the Marine Corps. One of his sons is Mitchell Feldman C’76 and his brother is Albert J. Feldman L’53.
Marie-Louise Beck Lippincott CW’45, Bryn Mawr, Pa., July 29. Her son is Joseph W. Lippincott III C’74.
Richard H. Belknap C’47, Colorado Springs, Colo., Oct. 24, 2004.
Dr. William M. Gandy GM’47, Waco, Tex., a retired physician; Dec. 3, 2002.
George R. Gebert W’47, Greenville, S.C., the North American insurance manager for Michelin Tire, until his retirement in 1993; Jan. 10. While at Penn he was a member of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity and the soccer team that won the Eastern Intercollegiate Championship. He had served as president of the Penn North Florida alumni club.
Elizabeth Holland Holtzlander PSW’47, Edgefield, S.C., Aug. 25, 2004.
Frank W. Jenkins C’47 L’49, Oreland, Pa., a former Pennsylvania state legislator and Montgomery County commissioner; April 28. At Penn he was a Mungerman and played varsity baseball. He began his law career at his father’s firm in Philadelphia and then served on the staff of the city’s Legal Aid Society. He then joined his brother’s law firm (now Jenkins, Siergiej, and Smith) in Ambler, where he was a specialist in real estate and zoning law for almost 40 years. He served in the Pennsylvania Assembly for the Second District, 1964-66, and then as a Montgomery County commissioner for 13 years. He chaired the county’s Republican Party during the 1980s and was a Republican committeeman, 1968-2002. In 1984 he defeated the county’s incumbent Republican sheriff in the first successful county-wide write-in campaign in Pennsylvania state history. He served on the boards of SEPTA from 1977 to 1991 and Amtrak from 1984 to 1988.
Edith Cope Jones Ed’47, Red Bank, N.J., May 13.
Martin Lukashok C’47, New York, July 2.
Dr. Harold Birghenthal, D’48, Pompano Beach, Fla., a retired dentist; March 5.
Dr. Nelson A. Brigham Gr’48, Eugene, Ore., June 14.
Irving Brown, GEE’48, Mount Laurel, N.J., March 21.
Joseph W. Davis Jr. W’48, Kennett Square, Pa., Dec. 10, 2004.
Latas L. Edwards GEd’48, St. Petersburg, Fla., March 28.
William A. Gray Ar’48 GAr’49, Albuquerque, a retired architect; N.M., May 11.
Ada M. Holmes G’48, Plattsburgh, N.Y., Jan. 30, 2004.
Michael F. Kocan WG’48, Princeton Junction, N.J., Sept. 4, 2002.
Dr. Charles M. Landmesser GM’48, Searsport, Maine, a retired physician; July 27.
John F. McGuire W’48 WG’56, North Wales, Pa., July 26. He had worked in the real estate industry with Price Wilson Real Estate, Fox Companies, and Amterre.
Col. Edwin O’Connor Jr. GEE’48, Asheville, N.C., Jan. 12. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army Artillery in Anzio, Italy and Northern Europe, including the Battle of the Bulge. Later he served tours of duty in London, retiring from military service in 1964. His decorations and awards include a Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Croix de Guerre, and Army Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster. He then began a second career with IBM, retiring in 1981.
Michael E. Tobin W’48, Tesuque, N.M., April 21.
Frank Ross Waite C’48, Wilmington, Del., Oct. 28, 2004.
George W. Brauckman W’49, Downingtown, Pa., Sept. 10, 2004.
Thomas Charles ME’49, Mongaup Valley, N.Y., July 4, 2004.
Richard L. Hahn W’49 L’52, Yardley, Pa., an attorney in Philadelphia for 52 years; March 3. In 1960 he became founding partner of the law firm of Modell, Pincus, Hahn & Reich. He was an expert in the complex rules and regulations of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board and in the field of creditors’ rights. During World War II he was a cryptographer in the U.S. Army Air Corps, serving in the Aleutian Islands.
Marjorie Y. Kohlhaas Ed’49, Lansdale, Pa., Sept. 1, 2004.
Jean Parsons Metzger Ed’49, Richboro, Pa., a former elementary teacher in the Cheltenham school district; Aug. 1.
Bernard A. Miller WEF’49, Trumbull, Conn., March 16.
Hazel Marie Miller SW’49, Bethany, Okla., April 6.
George Rochberg G’49, Newtown Square, Pa., the Annenberg Professor Emeritus of the Humanities, former chair of the music department, and an award-winning composer; May 29. Before coming to Penn he taught at the Curtis Institute of Music from 1948 to 1954, and was publications director of the music publisher Theodore Presser. He taught at the University from 1960 until being appointed emeritus in 1983, chairing the music department from 1960 to 1968. In 1976 he was designated University composer-in-residence. He became the first Annenberg Professor of the Humanities in 1979. Described by Dr. Jeffrey Kallberg, current department chair, as “one of the most influential composers of the second half of the 20th century,” Professor Rochberg’s Violin Concerto was performed by Isaac Stern 47 times between 1975 and 1977. His Symphony No. 5 premiered in 1986 by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra under Sir George Solti; and his Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra premiered in 1996 by the Philadelphia Orchestra under the direction of Wolfgang Sawallisch. His seven string quartetsespecially Quartet No. 3 for Strings (1972)are considered cornerstones in the American chamber music repertoire. His well-known String Quartet No. 6 includes a movement of variations on the Pachelbel Canon in D. He published nearly 100 works, including six symphonies and an opera, The Confidence Man. Although he began his composing career as one of America’s foremost exponents of atonality and serialism, the long illness and premature death of his son from a brain tumor in 1964 galvanized his mounting dissatisfaction with modernist music. The music department’s Paul Rochberg Scholarship Fund was established in memory of his son. Professor Rochberg continued composing into the late 1990s and coached students at his home. His Symphony No. 7, which he told The Philadelphia Inquirer would have been his darkest and most violent, remained uncompleted at his death. Professor Rochberg described his compositions as a reflection of his “deep concern for the survival of music through a renewal of its humanly expressive qualities.” His book, The Aesthetics of Survival: A Composer’s View of 20th-Century Music, first published in 1984, was reissued last year in an expanded edition. Two other books, a theoretical treatise on chromaticism and a memoir entitled Five Lines and Four Spaces, await publication. Earlier he had published the first study of twelve-tone music. His numerous awards include a Fulbright Fellowship, an American Academy in Rome Fellowship, and two Guggenheim Fellowships, as well as several honorary doctorates. In 1985 he received Brandeis University’s Gold Medal of Achievement of the Creative Arts Award, which cited him as “a towering figure in American music. For over 30 years he has been a vibrant teacher and leading American composerquestioning, eloquent, and deeply serious … His work reunites us with our musical heritage and provides a spiritual impetus to continue.” In celebration of his 60th birthday, A Festival of the Chamber Music of George Rochberg was held at the Penn Museum. For his 80th birthday the Pinkas/Hersh piano duo performed George Rochberg: A Life in Music at the Curtis Institute. During World War II he had served as a U.S. Army infantry lieutenant in Normandy. His daughter is Francesca R. Rochberg CW’74.
Albert H. Koenig W’50, San Marcos, Calif., April 16.
Eric G. Larson W’50, Newtown Square, Pa., Jan. 21.
Dr. John S. Lewis GM’50, Pelham, N.Y., an otolaryngologist and an associate attending head and neck surgeon at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center for many years; June 4. He was director of otolaryngology at Roosevelt Hospital for 18 years. While at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Dr. Lewis invented surgical resection of temporal bone, an operation to treat a previously inoperable cancer. He was a governor of the American College of Surgeons for six years and was an officer of numerous medical societies, including past president of the American Society of Head and Neck Surgery, 1970-71; American Otolaryngological Society, 1983-84; and the New York Otological Society. Dr. Levine was associate clinical professor of otolaryngology at Columbia University School of Medicine. And he was the author of 32 papers and seven book chapters. His many awards and honors include the Newburn Medal for Surgery from the University of Alberta, the Newcomb Award from the American Laryngological Society, and a Presidential Citation from the Trilogical Society. He served overseas in the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, 1943-46.
Charles F. Mayer L’50, Naples, Fla., a retired attorney who had practiced law in Media, Pa., for 50 years; April 26. He continued to advise clients after retiring and moving to Florida in the early 1990s. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy and was a pilot in the South Pacific for the U.S. Marine Air Corps.
William A. Rocap Jr. CCC’50, Conover, N.C., Jan. 31, 2001.
Leonard L. Rosenfeld W’50, Boca Raton, Fla., April 11.
Kenneth W. Shaibley CE’50, Hatfield, Pa., July 28, 2004.
Jack R. Willits WEv’50, Fort Pierce, Fla., Feb. 15.
1951 | Alan J. Antos W’51, Fair Oaks, Calif., an attorney and retired certified public accountant who also served on an arbitration committee for the Chicago Stock Exchange; May 1. He was nicknamed “Skip” in childhood because neighbors thought he looked like Skippy, a mischievous youngster in a popular comic strip. While dabbling in the San Francisco Beatnik scene during the 1950s, he became known as “the only Democrat in the CPA Society.” One company he worked for made their employees wear felt hats; the day he left he sailed his out of a 22nd-story window. Known for his quirky sense of humor and for his community service, he volunteered with several groups and offered free accounting help to people starting new businesses. In the 1970s he helped found a Kiwanis Club in Citrus Heights, Calif., and lobbied for female membership long before Kiwanis International allowed women as members. After a few years he gave up and left the club as a sign of protest. An avid cyclist, he enjoyed riding his bike every weekday, ringing his bell at passersby. He met his wife, Anna Popadinecz Antos CW’53, at WXPN when it was totally student-run. During the Korean War he served as an accountant in the U.S. Marine Corps.
Rev. Dr. Ralph W. Bagger G’51, Allentown, Pa., Jan. 18.
Milton B. Barba Jr. C’51, Fort Washington, Pa., a credit analyst at Dun & Bradstreet for 22 years, until his retirement in 1986; May 30. Known as “Buz,” he led Boy Scot troops in Oreland and Ambler for more than 12 years. In 1967 he chaired a project connecting U.S. and Canadian scouts for jamborees and organized buses of scouts who traveled to Toronto. An avid sailor, he was former membership chair of the Corinthian Yacht Club in Cape May.
John J. Devlin ChE’51, Island Heights, N.J.,. a senior manager at the Proctor & Gamble Co. in Cincinnati and in Europe for 37 years, until his retirement in 1989; April 21. He also served as associate director of research and development planning for Europe. He was a board member and adviser to St. John’s International School in Brussels, 1964-89, and was a cofounder of the high school there. He was vice president of Continuing Care, Brussels’ first home-care hospice group, which served as a model for others in Belgium. After retiring, he and his wife were founding members of Caregivers of Toms River, N.J. During his U.S. Army service in World War II, he fought in the Battle of the Bulge. After the war he was connected with the Heubertskreutz, an association of American and German soldiers who had fought in the Ruhr campaign in 1944-45.
Gordon M. Funk WG’51, Ellijay, Ga., assistant vice chancellor for accounting systems and procedures at the University of Georgia, until his retirement in 1989; Dec. 12, 2004.
Samuel Glantz L’51, Levittown, Pa., a retired attorney; July 26.
John P. Hauch Jr. L’51, Stone Harbor, N.J., a retired attorney, president, and chair of the board of Archer & Greiner of Haddonfield, the largest law firm in southern New Jersey; June 20. For over 40 years he litigated in many areas, including antitrust, environmental, and media law. In 1977 he argued before the U.S. Supreme Court the landmark commercial speech case of Linmark v. Willingboro, which he won. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II.
Dr. Theodore H. Levine C’51 GEE’57 Gr’68, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., a pioneer in computer software for document scanning; May 30. In 1969, after 22 years of study at Penn, he founded OCR Systems, Inc., in Bensalem. The company researched and built cutting-edge scanning software that was bundled with computers and used to process bills, sort mail, and translate words into binary digits. OCR’s product was used by companies including AT&T, Texas Instruments, Canon, Ricoh, and Panasonic. Later, his OCR software, which enabled the reading of print at high speeds, was sold as ReadRight. After the company suffered various financial difficulties in the 1970s, he turned OCR over to two young former Soviets, whom he named vice presidents. The pair, Gregory Boleslavsky and Vadim Brikman, saved the company, which, as Dr. Levine told The Philadelphia Inquirer in a 1989 interview, “was always insufficiently financed. This president (himself) never had the smarts to raise money.” In 1988 its revenues were more than three million dollars. By 1990 big competitors threatened OCR, and he later sold the company to Adobe. Dr. Levine also taught calculus and statistics at Pennsylvania State University’s Abington campus, Temple University, La Salle University, and Rutgers University, Camden. In the 1960s he hosted a program on the history of mathematics on radio station WFLN-FM. Later he collaborated with violist and musicologist Nan Urrasio on a manuscript examining the Fibonacci series in music, nature, and mathematics. During World War II he served in the Solomon Islands with the U.S. Army Signal Corps, where he helped develop a radio-signal system to locate ejected pilots in the ocean.
Francis J. Lindinger WEv’51, Jamison, Pa., Dec. 8, 2004.
Dr. Charles F. Melchor Jr. M’51, Myrtle Beach, S.C., a retired physician; Dec. 2, 2004.
John D. Moran W’51 G’55, Philadelphia, the founder of J.D. Moran Associates, a financial-consulting and venture-capital firm in Chestnut Hill; May 20. During World War II he had served as a U.S. Navy radio man in the Philippines. He was goalie for the Penn men’s varsity soccer team. He worked briefly for the Federal Reserve Bank, then spent about five years each with Fidelity Bank and Industrial Valley Bank before starting his own firm in the mid-1960s. A loyal alumnus his entire life, he volunteered for many years as a spotter for the stadium announcers at the home football games. One son is James Biddle Moran C’87.
Dr. Frank E. Rubei D’51, Sebring, Fla., a dentist in Overbrook, Pa., for 35 years; May 13. His patients included Cardinal John Krol and members of the Flyers hockey team. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps, stateside.
Richard C. Brown WG’52, Walker, Minn., Jan. 28, 2004.
Dr. Margaret E. Densmore GM’52, Lancaster, Pa., a retired obstetrician and gynecologist who had practiced in Philadelphia and Maine; May 10. While in Pennsylvania, she was affiliated with the Presbyterian, Riddle Memorial, and Delaware County Hospitals. In 1978 she moved to Maine to teach obstetrics and gynecology to family-practice residents at Bangor Medical Center. And she served on the staff of Belfast Hospital there. She retired in 1985. For 20 years she flew her own plane for pleasure and to attend medical conferences. A member of the Flying Physicians, she once competed in a Powder Puff Derby.
Dr. Robert W. Downing C’52 Gr’57, Wyncote, Pa., March 15, 2002.
Barbara G. Hall G’52, Dahlonega, Ga., Feb. 3.
Joan J. Kyes NTS’52 GNu’68, St. Petersburg, Fla., May 19.
Dr. Irene Law Satterwhite OT’52, Haworth, N.J, Jan. 26.
Laurence G. Stewart C’52, Annapolis, Md., April 30.
Dr. Nancy Rafetto Sweeten Gr’52, Sarasota, Fla., former vice dean of the University’s College for Women and a lecturer in English literature; Aug. 9. In addition to traveling extensively for the University’s fundraising programs, she hosted a popular early-morning TV program about great American authors, such as Emerson and Thoreau. Though many students watched for college credit, many others watched out of general interest. She was an associate trustee and served on the University Library board. She served Mayor Frank Rizzo’s administration as vice chair of the City Charter Commission, Hospital Authority, and Parking Authority. She also served on the board of trustees of Germantown Academy. Her first husband, MacEdward Leach, was a distinguished Penn professor who founded and headed the folklore department; he died in 1966. In 1973 she married E. Craig Sweeten W’37, senior vice president of development and public relations at the University. They moved to Florida in 1990. She continued to share her extensive knowledge and love of American literature by serving as president of the book club and a director of the library at Bay Village, a continuing-care retirement community. She had been the first woman president of the student associations of Cheltenham High School and Oberlin College. Her son is Douglas E. Leach WG’83 and one of her stepdaughters is Jane Elizabeth S. Gillis CW’70.
Dr. Oliver S. Thresher M’52, Chatham, Pa., an obstetrician and gynecologist in Philadelphia for 45 years, until his retirement in 1996; May 14. He was affiliated with Frankford, Rolling Hills, Jeanes, and Northeastern Hospitals and St. Mary Medical Center. The highlight of his career came in 1965, when he and his partner, Dr. G. Herbert Moffses C’34 M’37 (who died in 1998), and a medical team they had assembled delivered quadruplets by natural birth at Frankford Hospital, an event that received wide media coverage. During World War II he served in the U.S. Merchant Marine in the Mediterranean and the Middle East.
Albert M. Greenfield Jr. W’53, Glenmoore, Pa., the owner and operator of Greenfield Realty Company; June 25.
Marlene Wertz McLellan NTS’53, Connellsville, Pa., a nurse for the Connellsville City Board of Health for several years; May 14. She served on the board of the Wesley Church Health Center. Known as “Lee,” she belonged to several local civic organizations and historical groups, including the Daughters of the American Revolution, Daughters of the American Colonists, and the Daughters of 1812.
W. Rodman Derr Jr. ChE’54, Atco, N.J., June 7, 2004.
Edward J. Kelly Jr. W’54, Newtown Square, Pa., the retired director of administration for Sun Oil Co.; May 9. He worked for the Ford Motor Co. for several years before joining Sun Oil as the comptroller at the Marcus Hook refinery. He served as a financial officer for the company in Tulsa, Okla., for several years before returning to Pennsylvania and being named the director of administration; he was based in the company’s Radnor office until his retirement in 1987. He had served as a test pilot for the U.S. Air Force at bases in Florida, Texas, and Alabama.
Mary Leonard Mahoney DH’54, Wilmington, N.C., Jan. 22.
Richard M. O’Brien W’54, Matthews, N.C., April 24.
Victor T. Sweet CE’54, Phoenixville, Pa., Dec. 10, 2004. He had worked for the General Electric Company.
N. Barry Babat W’55, Boynton Beach, Fla., June 5.
Thomas J. Calnan Jr. L’55, Coopersburg, Pa., a retired attorney; April 21.
Evelyn T. Clemmans CW’55, Apple River, Ill., Aug. 3, 2004.
Dr. Robert S. Cline Gr’55, Hendersonville, N.C., Aug. 1, 2003.
Frank M. Collins L’55, Ardmore, Pa., a retired attorney at the law firm of Collins, Johnson & Markey in Media, Pa.; Feb. 18. Earlier, he had worked for several banks. A member of the Merion Country Club for over 40 years, he was a several-time winner of the Azalea Invitational.
Dr. Ronald P. Kaufman M’55, Lutz, Fla., a retired physician; June 10, 2003.
Morris A. Malmstrom Jr. WG’55, Bridgewater, N.J., a retired executive at Johnson & Johnson; Oct. 16, 2004. Before retiring in 1990, he had worked 36 years for the company: as a labor research analyst for two years and for 34 years at Ortho Pharmaceutical Corporation as director of personnel relations and director of personnel administration and community relations. He was also assistant secretary of the corporation. Known as “Mal,” he was active in numerous community service organizations, including as an officer in the United Way of Somerset County and a board and committee member of Alternatives Inc., where he chaired the annual gala. He served on the capital fund raising committee of the Rolling Hills Girl Scouts, from which he received the President’s Award. He was a board member of the American Cancer Society and served on the executive committee of the American Red Cross.
Keith D. Matney WG’55, Virginia Beach, Va., May 9.
Janice S. Matsutsuyu OT’55, Los Angeles, the chief of rehabilitation services at Neuropsychiatric Institute at UCLA from 1968 until her retirement in 1992; June 1. She was also program director of its adult and geriatric day-treatment program, she had helped design it. Early in her career she worked for the National Institute of Mental Health before joining NPI as associate chief. She was a clinical instructor in occupational therapy at University of Southern California, an author of articles and book chapters, and a presenter at occupational therapy conferences and workshops. She served the occupational therapy community as an officer of numerous professional and educational organizations, including as a former vice president of the Southern California Occupational Therapy Association and secretary, program chair, and executive board member of the Occupational Therapy Association of California. She chaired the Los Angeles Leadership Forum and was scholarship chair for the California Foundation for Occupational Therapy. Her many honors include a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Occupational Therapy Association of California and the California Foundation for Occupational Therapy Award of Merit. And she was named a fellow the American Occupational Therapy Association.
Dr. Miguel G. Nieto GM’55, Dayton, Ohio, the former chief of anesthesiology at the Veterans Administration Center of Dayton and the Miami Valley Hospital; May 7. He was assistant clinical professor at the Wright State University School of Medicine. He retired in 1984.
1956 | Hugh D. Jascourt C’56, Greenbelt, Md., a retired attorney in government service, and a running enthusiast; July 27. At Penn he was a member of the cross-country team. An official of the Penn Relays for more than 30 years, he was a master official honoree of the Relays in 2000. “He was one of the strongest supporters and officials of the Penn Relays, as well as the running community,” said John C. T. Alexander C’56, Class president. He organized the first Road Runners clubs in Philadelphia in 1956 and in Detroit in 1958. After moving to Washington in 1959, he started the D.C. Road Runners Club in 1961: 37 people participated in the first race. By 1980, according to the National Running Data Center, Washington had the most race finishers per capita in the nation. He competed in the races he organized, and helped coach the U.S. track and field team at the 1964 Southern Games in Trinidad and at the 1966 International Cross Country Championship in Morocco. He was named to the Road Runners Club America Hall of Fame in 1986. He was an attorney and adviser with the U.S. Department of Labor, 1960-64, an assistant director of employee-management relations for the American Federation of Government Employees in 1964 and 1965, and an attorney and adviser with the National Labor Relations Board in 1965 and 1966. He was executive director of the Federal Bar Association in 1966 and 1967; house counsel for the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, 1967-69; and assistant solicitor for the Department of the Interior from 1974 to 1982. And from 1982 until his retirement in 1990, he was senior labor law counsel for the Department of Commerce. An advocate of arbitration, he was a member of the mediation committee of the American Bar Association section on dispute resolution. In 1991 he founded the Agency for Dispute Resolutions and Synergistic Relations, a non-profit mediation service; he remained active in the organization until his death.
Ruth Fitzgerald Martella NTS’56, Green Lane, Pa., Feb. 24, 2004.
Richard J. McPhillips C’56, Cedarburg, Wis., April 5.
Dr. Sidney Morgenbesser Gr’56, New York, Aug. 1, 2004.
John R. Thomas Jr. W’56, Birmingham, Ala., Dec. 25, 2001.
Herbert Hannwood EE’57, Houston, March 25.
Harry D. McLaughlin GEd’57, Linwood, N.J., the retired vice principal of Ocean City High School; March 13.
Thomas Edwin Nott WG’57 IV, Coconut Grove, Fla., the retired co-manager and vice president of Goldman Sachs & Co.’s Miami office; April 6. He began his career with Reynolds Metals before joining the Philadelphia office of Goldman Sachs as an investment banker. In 1978 he moved to Florida, where he opened and ran the firm’s Miami branch. While living in Philadelphia, he was a Red Cross board member. After retirement, he served two terms on the foundation board of Clemson University. During the Korean War he was a first lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force’s 51st Fighter Interceptor Group, 16th Squadron. After flying 100 combat missions, he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters, and several other medals and citations.
Dr. Aldo N. Corbascio GrM’58, Oakland, Calif., a retired physician; July 30, 2003.
Lawrence F. Corson W’58 L’61, Newtown Square, Pa., an attorney who practiced civil, criminal, and corporate law in Philadelphia for 44 years, most recently at Dolchin, Slotkin & Todd; April 25. He concentrated on immigration and naturalization law, and traveled to Mexico to hire farmers to work in the Kennett Square mushroom industry and to Poland for coal miners to work in Scranton. “Many of the immigrants wound up at our family’s dinner table,” said his son Greg. A watercolorist, he had taken art classes at the Philadelphia Museum of Art since age 9 and exhibited his paintings in juried shows and private collections.
L. Barry Costilo W’58, Takoma Park, Md., a retired attorney; Feb 19.
Vincent A. DiGirolamo CGS’58, Philadelphia, Feb. 20.
Richard F. Lukens W’58, Philadelphia, Feb. 27.
Robert T. Murphy SW’58, Malvern, Pa., a retired social services consultant; May 5. In the 1950s and 1960s he was a social worker in Baltimore, a probation officer in Philadelphia, and a project manager for the Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority. He was then director of social service at Haverford State Hospital. And he worked for the regional office of the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare for several years before retiring in 1984. He had served on the boards of the Suburban Fair Housing Council in Swarthmore, the Main Line Unitarian Church, and the Charlestown Playhouse, a co-operative preschool. He and his wife were former parent hosts with A Better Chance, a program that helps place talented minority students in distinguished academic programs. He had served in the Civilian Conservation Corps during the Depression and in the U.S. Army Air Corps in Southeast Asia in World War II.
Harry L. Starr SW’58, Cheyney, Pa., Sept. 4, 2004.
1959 | Dr. Herman D. Colomb M’59, New Orleans, a psychiatrist and the director of the post-traumatic stress syndrome team at the Veterans Affairs medical center there; Oct. 28, 2004. He was a former president of the medical staff of Coliseum Medical Center, the New Orleans Area Psychiatric Association, and the Louisiana Psychiatric Association. He was former vice president of the medical staff of DePaul Hospital. And he was a past vice chair of the host committee of the American Psychiatric Association and former chair of the ethics committee of the Louisiana Psychiatric Association. Dr. Colomb was master of the New Orleans chapter of the Commanderie de Bordeaux, and was elected Mr. Gourmet in 1991 by the Society of Bacchus America, and was named Conseiller du Vin de Bordeaux in 1994 by Le Grand Conseil de Bordeaux. He had been a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy and was director of the Navy psychiatric clinic of Treasure Island, San Francisco.
William R. diGeorge GEd’59, Warminster, Pa., a teacher of American history for over 35 years; June 19.
James M. Glave GAr’59, Richmond, Va., an architect who founded the firm Glave & Holmes Associates; June 5.
Dr. Elbert L. Harris Gr’59, Glen Riddle, Pa., professor of Afro-American studies at Rutgers University, Camden, N.J., for nearly 15 years; May 27. Earlier he had taught at Livingstone College, Delaware State College, and Cheyney University, and had lectured at Camden County Community College. After joining the Rutgers faculty as a professor in 1969, he was appointed the following year, to head a new bachelor’s degree program in Afro-American studies. He said in a 1969 interview that it was “essential for black history to be taught objectively with scholarship and solid academic values.” After retiring from Rutgers in 1982, he remained as a lecturer until 1984. For two years in the 1990s he was a visiting professor at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. An authority on Greek civilization, he was the author of two novels: Sojourn in Persepolis: Xerxes After Salamis, which was based on Greek history, and Private Luneville, about a black soldier’s struggle to assimilate in a white society after World War II. During that war he had served in the U.S. Army in Europe and studied international law in an Army-sponsored program at the University of Oxford.
Lorraine M. Mortimer CW’59, Bellingham, Wash., Feb. 4.
Dr. Raymond G. Schultz Gr’59, Arcadia, Calif., Aug. 8, 2004.
Norman R. Geller W’60, Port Washington, N.Y., Aug. 19, 2004.
Virginia G. Harter Nu’60, Roslyn, Pa., Jan. 3, 2003.
Robert E. Smith Jr. WEv’60, Lansdale, Pa., a vice president with the Philadelphia investment firm of Legg Mason for 10 years, until his retirement in 1999; May 4. Earlier, he had been a stockbroker for several investment firms in the city. During World War II he served in the South Pacific and Korea.
Dr. William C. Forsman Gr’61, Swarthmore, Pa., a retired chemical engineer and professor emeritus at the School of Engineering and Applied Science; July 18. During his tenure at Penn he published textbooks and numerous technical articles in his specialty, polymer science, and held several patents. He was named professor emeritus in 1994. Earlier, he had worked for Hercules Chemical Co. in Wilmington, Del. He served stateside in the U.S. Army.
Richard Frost ChE’61, Wynnewood, Pa., former coordinator of the Zell/Lurie Real Estate Center at Penn; May 26. He was an engineer for the DuPont Co. before taking a job at Truck Parts & Equipment Corp. After becoming president of the firm, he expanded the business to seven locations. In 1989 he sold the company and retired. He was senior staff person at the Zell/Lurie Real Estate Center from 1997 until retiring in 2003, although he continued to work part-time at the center until his death. An oarsman for 30 years, he was a member of the University Barge Club. And he had served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. His wife is Susan Goldstein Frost CW’63 and his son is David M. Frost C’87 G’87.
Dr. Richard A. McFeely V’61 GV’67, Chestertown, Md., emeritus professor of clinical studies at the New Bolton Center, School of Veterinary Medicine; March 26. He worked at Penn for 35 years, beginning as assistant professor of clinical reproduction in 1966. He became chief of the New Bolton Center in 1968. In 1975 he was promoted to professor and served as associate dean for the center from 1976 to 1987. Known as an outstanding teacher, he received the Norden Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1977. In 1978 he was named Veterinarian of the Year by the Pennsylvania Veterinary Medical Association; he went on to become its president in 1983. His primary research area was in cytogenetics; he made a number of important discoveries involving chromosomal disorders in domestic animals, the results of which appeared in over 30 publications. He retired in 1995. He was past president of the Kennett Square Rotary Club and was active as a Boy Scout master. And he served as executive director of the Chester Valley Community Mediation Service. He had served in the U.S. Marine Corps.
Dr. Neal C. Morschauser D’61, Blackwood, N.J., a retired dentist; Nov. 9, 2004.
Gary A. Seligman W’61, Parkland, Fla., April 13.
Thomas R. Shine WG’61, Wayne, Pa., the president and owner of Top Line Sales Co. and a college teacher of business courses; May 2. He began his career at Koppers Corporation in Baltimore and then accepted a position with Keen Corporation in Princeton, N.J. He taught business administration at Essex Community College in Maryland and then personnel management at Chestnut Hill College. He was an adjunct faculty member at Ursinus College for many years, teaching a range of business courses, including management, finance, communication, sales, marketing, and entrepreneurship. As a parishioner at St. Isaac Jogues for 33 years, he had served as lector, Eucharistic minister, and choir member. And he was a strong supporter and friend of St. Malachy’s parish, a church in Philadelphia that serves the needy.
William M. Kwalick WG’62, Key Largo, Fla., June 18.
1964 | Margaret E. Fatula OT’64, Philadelphia, a retired occupational therapist; May 28. She worked in therapy for most of her life, beginning with two years in Ireland, where she dealt with children born with limb deformities because their mothers had taken the drug thalidomide. In Philadelphia she worked at Magee Rehabilitation Hospital, spent more than 15 years at the now-closed Pennhurst State School and Hospital, and, in the 1980s, became a therapist at Haverford State Hospital. According to her brother, John, she often brought her cocker spaniel to visit patients. When Haverford closed in 1988 she became a group homes auditor for the state of Pennsylvania, a job she held until retiring in 2002.
Dr. Daniel Isaacson GD’64, Kula, Hawaii, a dentist; Aug. 19, 2004.
Marolyn H. Randolph SW’64, Blue Bell, Pa., Feb. 3.
Linn M. Morrow W’66, Unionville, Pa., an owner of Gould Investment Partners; July 27.
1968 | Dr. Marc A. Lappé Gr’68, Chicago, a toxicologist, author, and educator who fought against the dangers of chemicals; May 14. He was among the early fellows of the Hastings Center, created in 1969 in Garrison, N.Y., to study bioethics. He also founded the Center for Ethics and Toxics, in Gualala, Calif., to help local communities fight toxic contamination. In 2004 the center helped win passage of a measure that prohibited the raising of genetically altered crops and animals in Mendocino County, the first such ban in the nation. From 1976 to 1980 he worked in various roles for the California Department of Health Services and helped prepare studies on the dangers of spraying the neurotoxin Malathion in the eradication of fruit flies. His 1982 book, Germs That Won’t Die, argued against the overuse of antibiotics in treatment of illness. His other books include Chemical Deception: the Toxic Threat to Health and the Environment and Against the Grain: Biotechnology and the Corporate Takeover of Your Food (written with Britt Bailey). The biotechnology book, first accepted by Vital Health Publishing, was rejected after Monsanto, a leading producer of genetically-modified seeds, threatened to sue. It was subsequently published by Common Courage Press. He served as a consultant or expert witness in cases involving the industrial wastes around Love Canal in upstate New York, Agent Orange in Southeast Asia, and the pesticide and pollution case in Woburn, Mass., which was dramatized in the book and film A Civil Action. As a board member of the March of Dimes, he warned of environmental factors that could cause birth defects. His ongoing philosophy supported what ethicists call the “precautionary principle”: that if risk is high and outcomes are unknown, it is best to avoid introducing the risk altogether. He also maintained that even a slight risk and low-dose exposure to toxins could prove dangerous. He also campaigned against silicone breast implants. While researching breast implant litigation, he discovered that Dow Corning Corporation, a leading maker of silicone products, was withholding data that plaintiffs’ lawyers subsequently used to win $3.2 billion in a class action suit. Dr. Lappé held a number of academic positions, including at the University of California, Berkeley; Sarah Lawrence College; and the University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago.
Dr. Barry G. Jordan ChE’69, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., a physician; Oct. 14, 2004.
1971 | Dr. Richard G. Traiman GM’71, West Chester, Pa., an orthopedic surgeon for 31 years; May 17. He was attending orthopedic surgeon at Chester County Hospital and Jennersville Regional Hospital and was chief of orthopedics at Jennersville, 1988-89. He was previously chief of orthopedics at Brandywine Hospital. He had served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in South Korea.
1972 | Dr. Carol Garten Basbaum Gr’72, San Francisco, professor in residence in the anatomy department at the University of California, San Francisco; April 2. Earlier she had worked for the local Veterans Affairs medical center.
Dr. Dorothy H. Fickle Gr’78, Bainbridge Island, Wash., March 2.
1979 | Leroy M. Lewis III WG’79, Monmouth Junction, N.J., an insurance executive; April 24. During the 1980s he was a charter property casualty underwriter at the General Accident Insurance Co. in Philadelphia. He then worked for Kemper Insurance Co. for two years and CNA Insurance Co. for 13 years. Most recently he was a vice president at Insurance Data Processing, Inc., in Wyncote, Pa. He was past president and co-founder of the Millstone Basin area chapter of Habitat for Humanity. He was president of the color guard of the Pennsylvania Society of the Sons of the Revolution.
1987 | Dr. Donald G. Meredith V’87, Boca Raton, Fla., a veterinarian; April 12. Having been raised on his family’s Thoroughbred breeding farm, Merry Acres, in Kingsville, Md., he began his career as the editor of Horseman’s Journal. He then became the publicity director for the Laurel Race Track. After moving back home to manage Merry Acres for four years, he relocated to Delaware to pursue a career as a steeplechase jockey. He later served as a regular and full-time relief veterinarian in Florida. And he was the veterinary director of Feline Friends in Deerfield Beach.
1989 | Dr. Elizabeth E. Hunt G’89 Gr’98, Bloomington, Ind., editor of the Indiana Alumni Magazine for Indiana University; June 5. At the magazine, which she had helmed for two years, she led a recent redesign process, expanding its content and giving the publication a fresh new look. Earlier, she was a writer and editor for nine years at Richard Harrison Bailey/The Agency in South Bend. Known as “Lissa,” she was president of the Hoosier Courts Nursery School advisory board and had been appointed to the Bicycle and Pedestrian Commission of Bloomington.
1990 | Eileen Murray Kelly GNu’90, Downingtown, Pa., a nurse at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital for the past 13 years; May 9. Before joining the nursing staff at Jefferson, she had been director of critical care at Brandywine Hospital in Coatesville. She was past president of the southeastern Pennsylvania chapter of the Critical Care Nursing Association.
1991 | Dr. Madeline L. Cohen Gr’91, Philadelphia, head of the art department at Community College of Philadelphia, where she taught art history for 26 years; July 21. She began teaching at Community College in 1978 and had headed the art department since 1990. Her expertise was in Islamic architecture, urban planning, and modern architecture. She received two National Endowment for the Humanities grants to study modern cities, and she had lectured at the Leeds College of Art and Design on the U.K.
Nathan E. Kase C’91 G’95 L’95, Philadelphia, a partner in the law firm of Wolf, Block, Schorr & Solis-Cohen; May 10.
Dr. Carmen Parrott GM’92, Columbia, Md., a physician; May 15.
1996 | Elizabeth A. Prostic C’96, Alexandria, Va., a managing director at Sonnenschein, Nath & Rosenthal LLP, where she worked with the firm’s public law and policy strategies and information security and internet enforcement groups; March 31. After working on Sen. Bob Dole’s presidential campaign in 1996, she served as a professional staff member on the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation for Sen. John McCain. She then became the chief privacy officer for the U.S. Department of Commerce and senior policy adviser to U.S. Secretary of Commerce Donald L. Evans. “She was incredibly engaging, dynamic, poised, the kind of person you immediately want on your side in any sort of battle,” said Elliot Portnoy, of Sonnenschein. While at the Senate she worked on the Forum for Technology and Innovation, commonly known as the Tech Forum. As a board member of Women in Aerospace, she was active in getting young women interested in mathematics and science. Her husband is Michael Lundblad C’95.
2002 | Dr. Eric Byrne WG’02, Ocean, N.J., a consultant in private practice; May 9. From 1993 to 1997 he had been a faculty member of the computer-science and engineering department at the University of Texas at Arlington.
Sue Adams, Oxford, Pa., retired associate director of the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals at the New Bolton Center; April 1. She joined the University in 1979 as an administrative assistant in the Bovine Leukemia Lab and then became an administrative assistant for the department of clinical studies of the Large Animal Hospital. She later became business administrator of the hospital and in 1988 was promoted to assistant director. In 1998 she became associate director, a position she held until her retirement in 2003.
Dr. William H. Boghosian. See Class of 1934.
Dr. Clarence C. Briscoe. See Class of 1931.
Andrew J. Condon, Haverford, Pa., retired director of the Penn Fund; March 21. Known as “Jerry,” he joined Penn in 1969 as the first director of student activities. He became assistant director of annual giving in 1982. In 1985 he left Penn to work in the annual-fund office at the University of Delaware. He also served as development director for the College of Physicians in Philadelphia, before returning to Penn in 1992 to head the Penn Fund. He retired in 2001. A licensed pilot, in recent years he enjoyed flying gliders. He had served in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Vietnam War, during which he flew 130 helicopter missions.
Dr. Jean A. Cortner, Wilson, Wyo., former chair of pediatrics at the School of Medicine and physician-in-chief of Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia from 1974 to 1986; May 31. Before coming to Penn he had served as professor and chair of pediatrics at SUNY Buffalo and physician-in-chief of Children’s Hospital of Buffalo. He joined CHOP in 1974, when he was also appointed the William Bennett Professor and chair of pediatrics at the Medical School. And he was a professor of genetics. Dr. Alan R. Cohen M’72 GM’76, current physician-in-chief at CHOP, said, Dr. Cortner “could make tough decisions that always seemed fair, or at the very least, respectful of everyone’s point of view. His leadership combined wisdom, compassion, vision, and a devotion to residents and medical staff … He foresaw the importance of developments in healthcare that became customary during the ensuing years … [and] he set the tone for significant research that was always directed toward the goal of improving the health of children.” Dr. Patrick S. Pasquariello GM’63, senior physician and director of the Diagnostic Center at CHOP, noted that Dr. Cortner “was truly a pediatrician and remained so in my mind despite his expanding administrative, teaching, and research responsibilities.” Dr. Cortner stepped down as physician-in-chief in 1986, spending the next years in his laboratory at the hospital until his retirement in 1999. He was chief of genetics, director of the Children’s Hospital nutrition center, and director of the lipid-heart center. The department of pediatrics has established the Jean Cortner Endowed Chair in Pediatric Gastroenterology in his honor. He was president of the National Board of Pediatrics in 1979 and served as an oral examiner for the board, 1973-89. And he chaired the board’s committees on long-range planning and research and development. He headed the Association of Medical School Pediatric Chairs for a number of years. His daughter is Ruth C. York C’82.
Dr. William C. Forsman. See Class of 1961.
Richard Frost. See Class of 1961.
Dr. Roland Mushat Frye, Gladwyne, Pa., the Felix E. Schelling Professor Emeritus of English Literature; Jan. 13. He began his teaching career at Emory University, where he worked with government officials to integrate the public schools. He became a research professor in residence at the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, but returned to teaching in 1965, when he joined the Penn faculty. He became the Schelling Professor in 1978, retiring in 1983. In 1980 he was named curator of the Furness Memorial Library at the University. Deeply interested in issues of faith, he co-founded, in 1978, the Center of Theological Inquiry, an independent, ecumenical institution for advanced theological research in Princeton, N.J. He wrote 10 books and hundreds of scholarly articles, including the award-winning Milton’s Imagery and the Visual Arts: Iconographic Tradition in the Epic Poems (1978), God, Man, and Satan (1960), and Shakespeare and Christian Doctrine (1963). Dr. Frye was the editor of Is God a Creationist?: The Religious Case Against Creation-Science (1983), a collection of essays. His many awards include a Guggenheim Fellowship, the Milton Society’s James Holly Hanford Award, and the American Philosophical Society’s highest honor, the Thomas Jefferson Award. William Golden, then vice president of the Philosophical Society, described him as “a brilliant scholar of English literature from Shakespeare to Milton, who…interpreted the writings of important literary figures in the context of the human experience of their times.” Dr. Frye was a Presbyterian elder, most recently at the Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army, where he fought in the Battle of the Bulge, earning a Bronze Star.
Dr. Richard A. McFeely. See Class of 1961.
Robert M. Rhodes, Cumberland, R.I., former editor of The Pennsylvania Gazette; May 24. Known as “Dusty,” he edited this magazine from 1960 to 1971, during a time of sit-ins and anti-war protests; he became known as one of the few editors who transformed alumni magazines into visually sophisticated publications that embraced controversial issues and personalities. In March 1964 the Gazette published the first professional assignment of Mary Ellen Mark FA’62 ASC’64 Hon’94: Photographs of six students in the College for Women (including Candice Bergen CW’67 Hon’92). Earlier he was head of alumni relations and editor of the alumni magazine at the University of Arkansas, his alma mater, and editor of Lehigh University’s alumni publication. He left Penn in 1971 to become editor of Brown University’s alumni magazine, a position he held for 22 years, until his retirement in 1993. He was also influential in the founding of the Council for Advancement and Support of Education and the Chronicle of Higher Education. In his January 1971 “Letter From the Publisher,” Michel T. Huber W’53 ASC’61 wrote on Dusty’s retirement, “He brought a new level of professionalism, which was immediately apparent in the magazine’s appearance and readability, and in the objectivity and completeness with which it reported the many facets of a large, complex, and growing university. Working with a tight budget and the smallest editorial staff in the Ivy League, he edited a magazine which reflected the excitement of the 1960s, as Penn grew in stature during the Harnwell era. And as difficult times descended on higher education in recent years, the Gazette reported with balance the manner in which Penn met its problems.” The chair of the editorial board, Howard H. Sheppard EE’32 GEE’33, noted, that Dusty Rhodes “raised the standards of the Gazette to new heights of popularity and perfection.”
George Rochberg. See Class of 1949.
Robert Slutzky, Elkins Park, Pa., professor of fine arts at the University and a former chair of the department; May 3. Before coming to Penn in 1990, he had taught at the University of Texas, Cornell University, Pratt Institute, and Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art. In 2001 he received the G. Holmes Perkins Award for Distinguished Teaching, which cited his “great impact not only on fine arts students, but also those in various departments of architecture, landscape architecture, city and regional planning, and historic preservation.” Anthony Vidler, dean of Cooper Union’s Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture, said, “Slutzky was a natural person to teach art and concepts of color and concepts of space to architects, because he could read them in a painting.” Professor Slutzky frequently collaborated with architects, including I.M. Pei, John Hejduk, Richard Meier, Peter Eisenman, and Guillaume de la Fuente. He had one-person exhibitions at many university art galleries, and was included in group exhibitions at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art, the Whitney Museum, and the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Reviewing a 1975 exhibition of his work in The New York Times, critic Hilton Kramer wrote, “Mr. Slutzky works within the strict pictorial conventions of geometrical abstraction, which, in his hands, is a medium of lyric improvisation. Everything here depends on proportion and placement, on the weight and intensity of color, and thus on delicacy of feeling.” In 1998 the Arthur Ross Gallery displayed more than two dozen of his canvases in a one-person show, Color Structures Extending the Poetics of Neo-Plastic Painting. His paintings are included in the collections of the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Whitney. A large painting of his, which he donated to the University, is in the stair lobby of Charles Addams Hall. He was a co-author, with Colin Rowe, an architectural theorist, of “Transparency: Literal and Phenomenal,” a pair of influential essays on the relationship between architecture and modern art.
Dr. Nancy Rafetto Sweeten. See Class of 1952.
Dr. Paul F. Watson, Philadelphia, associate professor emeritus of the history of art and assistant dean of advising; May 15. He joined the faculty in 1968 as an instructor, teaching medieval and Renaissance Italian art; he became assistant professor in 1970 and was appointed associate professor in 1976. He retired in 2000. He also served as undergraduate department chair from 1997, and continued as a college adviser in retirement. A specialist in the Italian Renaissance, he was one of the first scholars to investigate the paintings on cassoni, betrothal chests decorated with subjects from classical mythology or poetic allegory. His innovative study of painted birth salvers was published in a pioneering article. Other publications include a book, The Garden of Love in Tuscan Art of the Early Renaissance, which explores paintings and prints that link late medieval courtly love subjects to Renaissance Florence. He also published a number of studies of Raphael, particularly of his Vatican fresco of Parnassus. Dr. Watson’s later academic focus on Italy shifted from secular to sacred art, blending his knowledge of Renaissance art and architecture with a deep commitment to the Roman Catholic Church.
Dr. Ned B. Williams. See Class of 1938.
©2005 The Pennsylvania Gazette