Joyce L. Espen Ed’28, Newtown, Pa., Jan. 21, 2002.
Louis Pokras L’32, Philadelphia, an assistant district attorney under Arlen Specter C’51 from 1967 to 1973; May 19. He began his career with a law firm in Center City; during World War II he was an attorney for what was then the state’s Department of Justice. He was active in Republican Party politics with local GOP boss Austin Meehan for several decades, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer.
John D. Young Ar’32, Champaign, Ill., April 4.
Ethel Cohen Goldman Ed’33, Mill Valley, Calif., Dec. 26, 2005. Her daughter is Dr. Barbara Goldman Jensen CW’63, whose son is Sanford J. Jensen C’95. Ethel’s son, Dr. Yale E. Goldman Gr’75 M’75, is a professor of physiology at the Medical School and director of the Pennsylvania Muscle Institute. Her sister is Dr. Pearl Cohen Peskin CW’45, whose husband is Dr. Gerald W. Peskin C’47 M’51 GM’56. Her brother, Bernard J. Cohen C’42 L’49, died in 2001.
Charles P. Connolly G’34, West Chester, Pa, an employment specialist and adviser; April 28. For two years he was a Philadelphia public school teacher before joining the Pennsylvania Bureau of Employment Services in 1936. During the 1950s he hosted a Philadelphia-area television show, Your Employment Service and You; he eventually became the bureau’s district manager for eastern Pennsylvania. In the 1960s he was an adviser to the Rev. Leon Sullivan, founder of the Opportunities Industrialization Centers in Philadelphia, and served as a liaison for Sullivan with officials in Harrisburg and Washington. He also worked with Philadelphia mayor James Tate on employment initiatives. After retiring in 1972 he taught journalism at Delaware County Community College until the late 1980s. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in California.
Dr. Martin Cooperman C’34, Stockbridge, Mass., Feb. 2.
Walter R. Grant W’34, Greenwich, Conn., Dec. 10, 2003.
Mary Beth Neese Hoskins NTS’34, Lufkin, Tex., May 18.
Ethel Roth Linton Ed’34, Ambler, Pa., Oct. 19, 2002.
Edwin L. Sutton EE’34, Blue Bell, Pa., a retired electrical engineer for Rohm & Haas; March 8. According to his daughter, Carol, he was hired by the company’s founder, Otto Haas, in 1938. He worked in equipment improvement and systems efficiency at the plant in Bristol, Pa., until retiring in 1975. He continued to consult for Rohm & Haas for several years thereafter. A devotee of sailing vintage catboats, he was a former commodore of the Seaside Park Yacht Club in New Jersey.
1935 | Dr. William I. Gefter C’35 M’39, Stamford, Conn., the former William J. Mullen Professor of Medicine at the old Medical College of Pennsylvania, and a retired professor of medicine at Temple University; March 20. He was a former chief of medicine at Episcopal Hospital in Philadelphia, former chief of medical service at the old Philadelphia General Hospital, and had served as medical director of the Mutter Museum. He had been the director of professional services and medical education at St. Joseph Medical Center in Stamford, and clinical professor of medicine at New York Medical College. Dr. Gefter wrote Synopsis of Cardiology (1965) and Quality Living in the Semicircle of Life (2001). His professional awards include the George Vare Medal and distinguished-service awards from Philadelphia General and the Medical College of Pennsylvania. During World War II he served as a Medical Corps captain in the U.S. Army Air Force. His son is Dr. Warren B. Gefter M’74, professor of radiology at the University and chief of the thoracic-imaging division at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. William A. Phreaner Jr. D’37, New Holland, Pa., June 30, 2005.
Rev. John E. Shappell C’37 GEd’51, San Diego, Aug. 20, 2005.
1938 | John J. Karakash GEE’38, Bethlehem, Pa., dean emeritus of engineering at Lehigh University; March 21. Before and during World War II he helped develop radar and other equipment for the American military. He assisted Penn’s engineers in developing ENIAC, the first electronic computer, and collaborated with physicians at Hahnemann Medical College in a study of mechanical hearts. In 1946, answering a newspaper ad, he took a one-year appointment as assistant professor of electrical engineering at Lehigh University. He went on to head the department in 1956 and to serve as dean from 1966 until his retirement in 1981, when the trustees dedicated the north wing of Packard Laboratory in his honor. He encouraged engineering students to take liberal arts courses and set an example by showing up at campus poetry readings to recite Victor Hugo and François Coppe in French. As both professor and dean he was known for keeping late hours to talk with students, sometimes even sleeping overnight on a cot in his office. He received an outstanding teaching award from the student body. Lehigh established a visiting professorship and student-scholarship endowment in his name. Following his retirement he spent more than a dozen years as a consultant to IBM. During the late 1990s he began writing editorial columns for The Morning Call of Allentown, mostly on foreign policy; his last column, an autobiographical reminiscence, was published posthumously.
Morton Metzger C’38, Boca Raton, Fla., the retired president and board chair of the Metzger Group, a women’s apparel business he operated for 50 years; May 6. He retired in 1988. Active in philanthropy, he created the Edythe and Morton Metzger Endowment Fund for the Center of Judaic Studies at the University and the Morton Metzger Endowment Fund for Biogenetic Studies at Brandeis University. He was a Fellow of Brandeis University, a founder of Albert Einstein College of Medicine, and a benefactor of Boca Raton Community Hospital. He held leadership roles in ADL and UJA-Federation campaigns throughout his life.
Reid W. Malcolm Jr. ChE’39, Warminster, Pa., Oct. 18, 2005.
M. Randall Marston Jr. EE’39, Anaheim, Calif., July 23, 2004.
Dr. Karl Persichetti C’39 V’40, Lake Oswego, Ore., June 4, 2005.
Wilson W. Punshon WEF’39, Horsham, Pa., a certified public accountant in Hatboro for many years; March 4. At Penn he was a member of Pi Delta Epsilon fraternity. He was a 50-year member and choir participant of Lehman Memorial United Methodist Church in Hatboro; he also sang with the Fortnightly Club of Philadelphia. During World War II he was a captain in the U.S. Army, serving in France and Germany, where he was in charge of an advanced unit of the 47th Medical Depot Co.
Paul T. Yardley C’39 G’40, Kalaheo, Kauai, Hawaii; the vice president and director of United General Finance Company and head of Atlas Appliances and Ramsay Appliances; Sept. 23, 2005. He began seriously studying painting in the 1950s and, after his retirement in 1973, devoted himself to art full-time. He became known in Hawaii as first a painter of still lifes and then landscapes, with one-man shows of his work in Honolulu, Kaui, and San Francisco. In 1995 he was an invited artist at the 45th Annual Artists of Hawaii all-state show at the Honolulu Academy of Arts. His artwork has been collected by the Hawaii State Foundation on Culture and the Arts, the Honolulu Academy of Arts, Bank of Hawaii, First Hawaiian Bank, and other private and public collections. He was the author of a biography of Benjamin F. Dillingham, which was published by the University of Hawaii Press. An intelligence officer in the U.S. Naval Reserve, he reached the rank of lieutenant commander.
Robert E. DeLeonard W’40, Blue Bell, Pa., Dec. 20, 2003.
Francis R. Margolius W’40, Virginia Beach, Va., Aug. 23, 2005. He worked for the Hub clothing stores in Norfolk for 21 years. In 1967 he started Allied Office Supply, which he operated successfully until selling it to Boise Cascade in 1995. He wrote and published The Secret of Finding Big Winners in the Stock Market. A “gentleman farmer,” he advocated the use of organic gardening. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps and was stationed in New Guinea.
Robert W. Sayre L’40, Haverford, Pa., a retired managing partner with the Philadelphia law firm of Saul, Ewing, Remick and Saul, and a dedicated regional volunteer; March 26. At Penn he was managing editor of the law review and a member of the Order of the Coif. At Saul Ewing he specialized in antitrust and securities litigation and investigations, and hospital and health law. He served for many years on the firm’s executive committee and was managing partner, 1977-81. He served as general counsel for Bryn Mawr Hospital and Bryn Mawr Rehabilitation Hospital for over 20 years. Early in his career he joined the defense team, organized in 1953 by the Philadelphia Bar Association’s civil-rights committee, for nine Communists accused of Smith Act violations. (The Smith Act of 1940 made it a crime to teach or advocate the overthrow the U.S. government by force or violence.) After a highly publicized 71-day trial, the nine were found guilty, although the convictions were subsequently reversed by the U.S. Court of Appeals; other Smith Act defendants later adopted the free-speech defense presented in the trial. He was the guiding force behind the creation and development of the Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia, which was incorporated under the sponsorship of the Philadelphia Bar in 1974. He served the center as a director and board chair (1976-78). The Bar presented him with its Fidelity Award in 1982 for his “pro bono contributions … to community groups traditionally without access to legal assistance” and for his “unselfish and dedicated public service in improving the quality of justice and quality of life for the disadvantaged.” Having chaired and served on many United Way committees, he was president of the United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania, 1972-74. He was a former president of both United Cerebral Palsy of Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, and with the Resource Center for Human Service, the Family Support Center, and the Executive Service Corps of Delaware Valley. An avid hiker and mountain climber, he continued hiking in America and Europe well into his 80s. During his travels he was known for sharing his interest in equal rights under the law with attorneys around the world. During World War II he served for five years in the U.S. Army, completing his tour of duty in 1946 as a lieutenant colonel.
Ikard Smith W’40, Wichita Falls, Tex., Feb. 16.
Charles. T. Flachbarth EE’41, Parkersburg, W.Va., a retired vice president of engineering; Nov. 28, 2005. He began his career at General Electric Co. in Schenectady, N.Y., working on submarine electronics and propulsion devices. He then went to work for Walker Brothers in Conshohocken, Pa., where he was vice president of engineering. In 1963 Walker Brothers became part of Textron Inc., and he was transferred to Parkersburg, where he served as vice president of engineering and manufacturing. After Textron was sold to Butler Inc., he continued working until his retirement in 1986. His book, Notes to Mrs. Buttonhook, was published the day before his death. The inventor or co-inventor of 24 U.S. patents, he was a senior life member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers and a life member of the American Society for Metals.
Dr. John C. W. Worsley Sr. D’41, Hellertown, Pa., a retired dentist; March 14. He began in private practice in Bethlehem, joining his father, Dr. Norvin A. Worsley, 1941-42, and 1946-58. He then continued on his own until 1975, when his son, John C.W. Worsley Jr. D’75, joined the practice. During World War II Dr. Worsley Sr. received a direct commission as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army Dental Corps, entering active service in 1942; he spent four years on the staffs of several Army hospitals. Later he served as chief of clinical practice in the 456th Medical Detachment in Folsom, and retired as a colonel in the Army Reserve, after more than 35 years of service. A member of the dental staff at Muhlenberg Hospital, he helped organize the dental-hygiene program at Northampton Community College. He was past president of the Bethlehem Dental Society and the Lehigh Valley Dental Society. And he was a board member of the Second District Dental Society and the American Heart Association of Mid-Eastern Pennsylvania. His wife is Gretchen I. Worsley DH’40 and his daughter-in-law is Judith N. Worsley PT’76.
1942 | Lillian Zimmerman Bangs Ed’42 GEd’43, Southampton, Pa., a physical-education teacher for over 40 years, until her retirement in 1991; March 29. She was a high school teacher in Conshohocken, Pa., and was later a substitute teacher in the Centennial School District. During the 1960s she became a full-time physical-education teacher in the district. She and a physical therapist developed an adapted phys-ed program to identify and work with students with posture and coordination problems. An adventuresome traveler, at 80 she went hang-gliding off a mountain top in New Zealand.
Jack W. Bender W’42, Willow Grove, Pa., March 7, 2003.
Emanuel B. Neuman W’42, Clearwater, Fla., July 27, 2004.
Joseph G. Sellick W’42 G’51, Forestville, Md., May 4, 2005.
1943 | Dr. Jules H. Bogaev C’43 M’47, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a retired urologist; May 26. In the 1950s he joined the practice that his father, Harry, a pioneer in the specialty, had established near Philadelphia’s Rittenhouse Square. He was a member of the team at Thomas Jefferson Hospital that performed the area’s first kidney transplant in 1963, which was the first organ transplant of any kind in the Delaware Valley. An associate professor and honorary clinical professor of urology at Thomas Jefferson University, he was acting chair of the urology department, 1976-77, when he retired. In 2004 he received the Faculty Founders Award from Jefferson. He was a past president of the Philadelphia Urologic Society. He served in the U.S. Navy, (1948-55) as a ship’s doctor aboard the U.S.S. Edisto, an icebreaker that patrolled the North Atlantic above the Arctic Circle during the Korean War. His wife is Jean Safrin Bogaev CW’46. His brother is Dr. Leonard R. Bogaev M’54 GM’58 and his brother-in-law is Robert W. Safrin W’48.
Joseph E. Boyle ME’43, Blackwood, N.J., March 9, 2005.
Dr. Richard K. Conklin D’43, Thomasville, N.C., March 19.
Arthur H. Gardner W’43, Langhorne, Pa., June 1.
Rev. John R. Mecouch C’43, Ann Arbor, Mich., April 22, 2004.
Dr. Hilding G. Olson ME’43, San Angelo, Tex., Nov. 24, 2005. He began his career as an engineer for the metals industry and later constructed homes in Plymouth, Mich. While a graduate student in nuclear engineering at the University of Michigan, he supervised the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, a facility devoted to the peaceful use of the atom. He joined the faculty of Colorado State University in Fort Collins in 1966. With another researcher and their graduate students, he pioneered the mathematical description and experimental verification of radioactive radon’s emanation from the Earth. He trained the staff and served on the safety board of the Fort St. Vrain Nuclear Generating Plant near Denver. Dr. Olson was a consultant and licensing examiner for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. In 1982 he chaired a national committee that established the educational backgrounds and experience requirements for the various professional and technical disciplines that staff America’s nuclear power reactors. Before his retirement in 1994, his last consulting project was for the development of an advanced reactor at the Los Alamos National Laboratories in New Mexico. During World War II he served as a deck-engineering officer in the U.S. Navy, later earning his wings as a naval aviator flying multi-engine planes for land and sea use.
Geraldine Snapkoski Van Dyke NTS’43, Glen Lyon, Pa., the retired director of nursing at the Red Cross Northeast Regional Blood Center, where she worked for more than 30 years; March 23. During World War II she was a first lieutenant in the U.S. Women’s Army Air Corps, serving as a nurse at Shaw Field, S.C.
1944 | Dr. Raymond A. Biswanger Jr. C’44 GEd’48 G’50 Gr’51, Slippery Rock, Pa., a teacher of English literature for over 30 years; Feb. 4. He taught at Cortland State Teachers College in New York, 1951-54, and at the University of Georgia, 1954-61. He then taught at Slippery Rock University, until his retirement in 1984. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy on LSM-9, which participated in the beach assault at Okinawa and was damaged when it became stuck on a reef. He later was captain of LSM-538.
Edith C. Kiefer Brewster GEd’44, Shelton, Conn., April 21.
Dr. Joseph Dubinsky C’44, Bronx, N.Y., Feb. 27, 2004.
I. Leon Glassgold CE’44 GCE’48, Baltimore, May 31, 2005.
Dr. Ruth E. Goodman Gr’44, Mesa, Ariz., a professor of mathematics at Bowie State University, until her retirement in 1995; Dec. 25, 2005.
Charlotte Grass Groshon CW’44, Glenside, Pa., Nov. 16, 2004.
Peter B. Harrington W’44, Yarmouthport, Mass., the retired superintendent of the inland-marine department at Aetna Insurance Co. (now Cigna), where he had worked for 38 years; Feb. 22. He represented the company on rating committees of the National Inland Marine Insurance Association. He was past president and founding member of the Marine Underwriters Club of Connecticut.
Kitty M. Pritchard DH’44, Cape May, N.J., April.
William W. Sellers C’44, Wayne, Pa., the former owner of Sellers Process Equipment Co.; June 3. He began his career as a draftsman at Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia. In 1949 he established a company to design industrial-pumping systems and later a company to design heating systems for asphalt paving. He retired in 1985. In 1986 he received an award from the National Asphalt Pavement Association and last year he was honored by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers for his design systems. He held several patents. He served on the Chester County Council and the St. Anthony Society board. He competed in Duster sailboat races on Lake Naomi in the Poconos. In 1991 he visited Africa with a People to People Tennis Ambassador Tour. Although ill, he insisted on playing tennis on his birthday, according to his son, Coleman. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy aboard a destroyer escort in the Pacific. His wife is Nancy Fields Sellers CW’49 and his sister-in-law is Carolyn F. Wehner CW’46.
Dr. David Sherbon M’44, Kentfield, Calif., Jan. 24.
1945 | Ruth Friedlander Branch CW’45, McMurray, Pa., May 20. At Penn she was one of the first women to take classes at the Wharton School, although her degree was in journalism. She began her career as a copy editor for the old Lit Brothers department store in Philadelphia. At a time when such stores sponsored live television, she worked her way up to become the producer of two TV variety shows, Lits Have Fun and Magic Lady. In the 1950s she moved to New York to become an executive at the Al Paul Lefton Advertising Co. After raising a family she wrote book reviews for The Greensburg Tribune-Review for 10 years, beginning in 1973. She also wrote a 300-page book, Treatment Center, that chronicled her 30 days in a rehab center for alcoholism. After being sober for 34 years, she began to distribute the book to others with similar problems. She was a licensed pilot and, until recently, wrote haiku to express her love of nature.
Stella Factor Kivnick CW’45, New York, May 27, 2002.
Dr. Victor H. Polikoff C’45, Elkins Park, Pa., May 8.
Dr. Edward J. Scanlon V’45, York, Pa., founder of the Narberth Animal Hospital outside Philadelphia, where he practiced until his retirement in 1983; May 19. He was also co-founder, with Dr. Robert D. Barndt V’52, of Devon Hospital. Earlier he was chief veterinarian at the Pennsylvania SPCA in Philadelphia and wrote a pet-care column for The Philadelphia Inquirer. He contributed to the development of the first successful canine diphtheria vaccines. He was awarded a patent on a rehabilitation and condition apparatus for animals and humans called the Aqua-Ciser. Dr. Scanlon bred, trained, and raced horses for over 30 years and was active with his field-trial dogs. He was twice appointed to the Board of Pennsylvania Veterinary Examiners. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II.
Robert A. Mostertz M’46, Sarasota, Fla., March 12.
Sonya Jussim PSW’47, Flushing, N.Y., April 10, 2004.
Herbert L. Login W’47, San Luis Obispo, Calif., Sept. 10, 2005.
Anna Shaub McCafferty CW’47, Las Vegas, Nov. 12, 2003.
Harry M. Orth GEd’47, Island Heights, N.J., a teacher, principal, and administrator with the Philadelphia School District for 36 years; April. He began his career with the district as a teacher in 1933, then was named principal at Elverson Elementary School. In 1959 he was the first principal at the newly opened Wanamaker Junior High School and later became principal at Olney High School. He was named human relations coordinator for the school district in the 1960s. He retired in 1970 as superintendent of schools for District 2. Active with the Boy Scouts for 81 years, he received the Silver Beaver Award in the 1980s. In Island Heights he served on the board of education and the library.
Richard H. R. Toland C’47, Media, Pa., a longtime foreign- cars dealer in the Philadelphia area; March 22. He briefly worked for Time, Inc., serving as an assistant to Time and Life photographer Hank Walker, before studying industrial design at what is now the University of the Arts. Long fascinated by motor cars, he worked part-time at a foreign-car agency and became active in the Sports Car Club of America. In 1953 he became a Volkswagen and Porsche dealer, opening one of the early U.S. franchises; known as the West German Sales Corporation, it operated first in Chestnut Hill before moving to Ft. Washington in 1960. He established a BMW franchise, then a Mercedes Benz one. He sold his dealerships in 1983 and the late 1990s, when he retired. Passionate about auto racing, he was a founding member of the Clots Sports Car Club, whose members owned and raced vintage automobiles; he stopped in 1965. He was a board member of the Automobile Dealers Association of Greater Philadelphia (1971-87), and Auto Tell Services, Inc., 1968-93.
Donald S. Kromer W’48, East Dennis, Mass., Dec. 26, 2004.
Dr. Donald J. Plank C’48, Hanceville, Ala., March 6.
Robert K. Porter Jr. WG’48, Murrieta, Calif., Feb. 4.
Harold F. Chase W’49, Sun City Center, Fla., Feb. 17, 2005.
James F. Conway Sr. W’49, Haddonfield, N.J., co-founder of Mister Softee Inc.; May 28. At Penn he was a four-year football letterman and one of the original Mungermen. He began his career as a sales manager for the Monroe Calculator Co. He then worked for a local manufacturer of ice cream-making equipment; according to The Philadelphia Inquirer, when the firm failed to pursue the idea of putting sales on wheels, he and his brother William, in 1956, founded Mister Softee Inc., the first mobile ice-cream franchise in the country. They launched the venture on March 17, driving the first truck throughout their South Philadelphia neighborhood, giving away free green ice cream in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. From a single truck they expanded operations, from New England to Virginia and then, over the next 50 years, nationally and internationally. In the U.S., about 350 franchises currently operate 600 trucks in 15 states. The logo has appeared in many television shows and films. Along with handling sales and marketing for Mister Softee, he had numerous other business ventures, including commercial real estate and restaurants. Despite his success he was known to reply, when asked what he did, “I sell ice cream for a living.” He retired in 1998. He served on the boards of Medquist Inc. and the old Peoples Bank. He was a major benefactor for Catholic charities, the Salvation Army, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, and Penn’s Athletic Department. An avid golfer, he was past president of the Tavistock Country Club. He had served in the U.S. Navy.
David R. Cumming WG’49, Upper Darby, Pa., May 17.
Paul H. Deigendesch W’49, Churchville, Pa., Feb. 15, 2005.
Dr. Christie John Geankoplis Gr’49, Eden Prairie, Minn., Nov. 15, 2005.
Charles M. Hammer ME’49, Cheshire, Conn., June 29, 2003.
Richard G. Kahoe Jr. W’49, Tryon, N.C., Dec. 5, 2004.
Thomas A. Landis WEv’49, Audubon, Pa., the retired vice president of H. Kramer Co.; May 31. He worked for Ajax Metal Co. in Philadelphia and then was a manager in Chicago for Kramer, its parent company. He retired as vice president in 1996. He had served on the board of the Methacton School District, and on the Lower Providence Planning Commission.
Dr. Henry T. Nash G’49, Rockport, Mass. March 31, 2004.
Donald A. Reihmer CCC’49, Media, Pa., June 7, 2004.
Dr. Richard E. Strauss GM’49, Rydal, Pa., May 12, 2004.
Gordon D. Vink C’49, Chambersburg, Pa., May 1, 2005.
Roland H. Wilson ME’49, West Columbia, S.C., Jan. 31, 2005.
Maj. Gen. William A. Boyson M’50, San Antonio, Dec. 11, 2005.
John S. Ciechon L’50, Mount Ephraim, N.J., Aug. 9, 2005.
Samuel M. Smyrl WEv’50, Lancaster, Pa., Oct. 18, 2005.
Lawrence E. Stengel L’50, Lancaster, Pa., Feb. 14.
Edward J. Yates C’50, West Chester, Pa., the director of American Bandstand from 1952 until his retirement in 1969; June 2. In the late 1930s he established a photography studio, shooting weddings, portraits, and parties. In 1948 he was hired as a boom operator at WFIL-TV (Channel 6) in Philadelphia, and subsequently promoted to cameraman. When the station initiated a new dance program, American Bandstand, in 1952, he volunteered to direct it because, expecting a flop, no one else wanted to. The show debuted with Bob Horn as announcer but took off after Dick Clark replaced him in 1956. Until the early 1960s it was broadcast live, which meant Ed pulled records, directed the cameras, and queued the commercials, all while communicating with Clark. The program went national in 1957; in 1964 Clark moved it to Los Angeles, taking Ed with him. “Ed was an extraordinary director … he managed to grab every exciting moment,” said Clark. “The pictures he created influenced a whole generation of young people across America. His imagination and admirable work ethic made him one-of-a-kind.” Known as cool under pressure, he picked the top 10 records and songs. He also directed live commercials and other programs, such as Chief Halftown and The Sally Starr Show. Starr remembered him as “mellow” and someone who “taught me how to relax when I got nervous.” After retiring from the program in 1969, he returned to Pennsylvania, where he became a dispatcher at Independence Hall. “Instead of directing American Bandstand, he directed all the security guards,” said his son George. He retired again in 1974. During World War II he had served with the U.S. Army’s 660th Field Artillery Battalion in Europe.
Dr. Paul F. Zito GM’50, Key West, Fla., Feb. 18, 2005.
Christian J. Goodman Jr. EE’51, Scottsdale, Ariz., June 30, 2005.
Dr. Earl P. Myhree GM’51, Gainesville, Fla., a urological surgeon in St. Petersburg from 1954 to 1986; May 5, 2005. He was an active staff member of hospitals in the Tampa Bay area, including Bayfront Medical Center, Vencor, Harborside, Palms of Pasadena, and Northside Hospital and Heart Institute. He was affiliated with Tewksbury State Hospital in Pennsylvania. Earlier he had served on the staff of Hess Urological Clinic of St. Vincent’s Hospital in Erie, Pa. He had worked in Gary, W.Va., as a temporary physician for coal miners. And he was a former doctor to President John F. Kennedy. Dr. Myhree was a former chair of the legislative committee of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons and was past vice president of the Florida West Coast chapter of the Councils of Medical Staffs. During World War II he served in the U.S. Marine Corps.
Alice M. Wagner Nu’51, Santa Fe, N.M., Sept. 23, 2005.
William J. Maloy Jr. C’52, Pittsford, N.Y., Nov. 16, 2003.
William F. Moos W’52, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., a retired pharmaceutical marketing and sales executive; June 1. He had worked for Ayerst Laboratories, Purdue Frederick Co., and William H. Rorer Inc. He retired in 1996 from Health Care Communications in Princeton, N.J.
Dr. Thomas Francis A. Powell CCC’52, Philadelphia, an osteopathic surgeon for nearly 40 years; May 30. He opened a private practice in West Philadelphia in 1960. He was also a surgeon and teacher at the old Metropolitan Hospital and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, until retiring in 1988. He was a former chair of the surgery section of the Pennsylvania Osteopathic Medical Association.
Dr. David Sellin C’52 Gr’68, Washington, art historian; April 11. After graduating magna cum laude, he was a Fulbright scholar in Rome, researching his dissertation on international Gothic art. During the late 1950s and 1960s he served as associate curator of painting and sculpture at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, then as director of the schools of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. He brought to the Academy such visiting artists as Marcel Duchamp, Jacques Lipschitz, and Leonard Baskin. Research he began during his tenure there led to a series on the French presence and influence in Philadelphia art. His book First Pose: Roberts, Eakins, and a Century of Philadelphia Nudes, published by W. W. Norton in 1973, formed the basis of an show at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. His groundbreaking exhibition, Americans in Brittany and Normandy (Phoenix Museum of Art, 1982), at the Academy fostered subsequent study of the Breton colonies and those at Grez and Giverny. During his career Dr. Sellin served on the art-history faculties of Colgate and Wesleyan universities, where he also directed their galleries. He was a visiting professor at several universities, including Tulane, Harvard, and Texas. He served on the board of the Philadelphia Art Alliance and the Museum Council. In Washington, where he lived since 1971, he was a Smithsonian Bicentennial consultant and curator before becoming curator of the U.S. Capitol in 1976. From 1980 until his death he was an independent curator, lecturer, author, and consultant. His wife is Anne Robertson Sellin G’69 and his brothers are Theodore Sellin C’51 G’52 and Dr. Eric Sellin C’55 Gr’65.
Leon Silin L’52, Philadelphia, Nov. 6, 2003.
Barry E. Siskind W’52, Roslyn, N.Y., June 14, 2005.
Paul A. DeFeo C’53, Doylestown, Pa., May 16, 2005.
Caleb Foote L’53, Point Reyes, Calif., a former professor of law at the University, who became known for his advocacy of criminal rights; March 4. A Quaker, he was hired in 1941 by the Fellowship of Reconciliation, a pacifist organization, to open its Northern California office. According to The New York Times, his draft board denied his request for conscientious-objector status in 1940, deciding that his religious argument was based more on humanist principles than on theology. He refused an order to report to a camp to perform alternative service, and in 1943 he was convicted for violations of the Selective Service Act. He served six months at a federal prison camp, then resumed work with the fellowship, where he spoke out against the internment of Japanese Americans; in 1943 he collaborated with photographer Dorothea Lange to produce “Outcasts,” a pamphlet on the internment. He was sentenced again for draft-law violations in 1945 and served a year at a federal penitentiary, until being pardoned by President Harry S. Truman. He was executive director of the Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors (1948-50). After graduating from law school, he joined the faculty of Nebraska College of Law in 1954. That year, at a law-school convention, he called for the strengthening of civil remedies for false arrest, after having persuaded a federal judge to reverse the conviction of an Native American whose lawyer had been incompetent. He joined the Penn faculty in 1956, where he led a student team that studied New York’s bail system and recommended changes. He wrote Studies on Bail (1966), which argued that the bail system was biased against the poor, placed an unfair burden on falsely accused defendants, and was inherently unconstitutional. In 1965 he became a professor at the Boalt School of Law at the University of California, Berkeley, where he specialized in family and criminal law. After student protests rocked Berkeley in 1968, he co-chaired an investigative committee that recommended changes, including giving the campus autonomy from the state system. Retiring in 1987, he became active in conservation efforts in Marin County. In 1993 he conducted a study for San Francisco’s Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, which demonstrated significant increases in the state’s prisons expenditures and losses in expenditures for higher education.
Dr. C. Clark Johnson D’53, Boothbay, Maine, May 24.
George S. Lessig WEF’53, Pottstown, Pa., July 8, 2005.
John J. McFadden W’53, Yardley, Pa., March 6, 2005.
Thomas J. McFarlin W’53, Springfield, Mass., Dec. 18, 2004.
Dr. Forrest M. Smith Jr. M’53, San Antonio, May 4.
1954 | Hon. Edward. R. Becker C’54, Philadelphia, a former chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit; May 19. At Penn he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He practiced law as a partner with his father (the late Herman A. Becker W’21 L’24) and brother-in-law in Philadelphia for 13 years. Like his father he became a Republican committeeman in the city. He was appointed as a federal trial-court judge in Philadelphia in 1970. In 1981 he was elevated to the Third Circuit, serving as its chief judge, 1998-2003. He assumed senior status on May 4, 2003, his 70th birthday, having served on the bench for nearly 36 years. Known as the “king of footnotes,” he was an expert in antitrust law, the use of scientific evidence and expert testimony in complex civil cases, and the application of the federal sentencing guidelines. He was recognized by the University of Chicago Law Review as one of the federal appeals-court judges most frequently cited by the U.S. Supreme Court, according to The New York Times. Senator Arlen Specter C’51, a friend of his since their years at Penn, called him the “101st senator,” for the power his rulings had in shaping federal law. Judge Becker was known for his humility and humanity, always riding the Elevated train to and from the home in which he was born, lived, and died. The suggestions he offered Temple University graduates as commencement speaker in 2003 included: “Never take anyone for granted. Treat people with decency and consideration,” and “Learn to compromise. Compromise is the essence of getting things done.” Anthony J. Scirica, current chief judge of the Philadelphia-based Third Circuit, called him “a brilliant scholar who never lost sight of the human element in each case. He was one of the great judges in the history of the federal judiciary … beloved by colleagues for his warmth, his wit, and his concern. He was the heart and soul of our court.” Most recently Judge Becker was one of the leaders in the efforts to reopen the street that fronts Independence Hall, following its closure after Sept. 11, backing a citizens’ coalition that worked to make the historic district open and accessible. The street was reopened in 2003; in his honor, the stretch of Chestnut Street between 5th and 6th streets will be named “Edward R. Becker Way.” An accomplished pianist who played by ear, he was the accompanist for the U.S. Supreme Court’s periodic sing-alongs: “I’ve never heard anyone call for a tune the judge didn’t know,” recalled Justice David H. Souter. At his memorial service (as reported by The Philadelphia Inquirer) his son Charles spoke of how his father was smitten more than 50 years ago in one of his Penn classes by a red-haired girl, Flora Lyman; his father had also considered studying philosophy so that he could learn more about the meaning of life, but, “after he met my mother, he knew the meaning of life.” Judge Becker’s wife is Flora Lyman Becker CW’55.
Doris Cranmore G’54, Ann Arbor, Mich., Dec. 2, 2002.
Jerome Printz Ch’54, Denver, March 22, 2005.
Robert G. Stewart FA’54, Washington, senior curator emeritus of the National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution, where he had worked for 30 years; Nov. 17, 2005. At Penn he was a member of Zeta Psi fraternity. He became one of the original staff of three at the gallery when he arrived there in 1964; he served as curator of paintings and sculpture there until his retirement in 1994. Earlier he had worked as a historic architect for the National Park Service. He was curator for the Jefferson Barracks Historical Park in St. Louis, 1958-61, and director of properties for the National Trust for Historic Preservation in Washington, 1961-64. From 1967 to 1970 he taught a class, Principles of Museum Work, as a guest lecturer at George Washington University. He was the author of several museum catalogues, including Nucleus for a National Collection (1965) and A Nineteenth-Century Gallery of Distinguished Americans (1969), and the monographs Henry Benbridge, 1743-1812: American Portrait Painter (1971) and Robert Edge Pine: A British Artist in America, 1784-88 (1979).
William S. Young GEd’54, Wilmington, Del., Sept. 1, 2005.
1955 | Bernard M. Guth W’55 L’58, Andalusia, Pa., executive vice president of Albert M. Greenfield & Co., until his retirement in 2004; May 18. He began his career as an attorney with the Philadelphia law firm of Folz, Bard, Kamsler, Goodis & Greenfield, where he was involved in the first real-estate investment trust to be registered with the SEC and the first FHA-insured cooperative apartment in Philadelphia. He was then vice president of Banker’s Bond & Mortgage Co. During the 1970s he was a partner in the real estate development firm of Richard I. Rubin & Co. Associates, where he was project manager for the $22-million restoration of the old Bellevue Stratford Hotel. In 1983 he oversaw the renovation of Suburban Station; he once told a reporter, “There’s a beautiful building, an old, elegant building under all that dirt.” His son, Adam, said, “He had a vision for the city. He wanted to restore historic landmarks rather than have them demolished.” He had served on the board of the Albert M. Greenfield Foundation since 1998. And he was the chief financial officer at Harcum College in Bryn Mawr. A devoted music patron, he had been a trustee of the Curtis Institute of Music from 1990. Gary Graffman, former Curtis president and director, recalled him as “a committed advocate for maintaining the highest quality of artistic effort, who combined business acumen with highly sophisticated musicianship.” And for more than 30 years he served on the board of the Mann Center for the Performing Arts, as its chair rom 1987 to 1994; he was instrumental in securing Charles Dutoit as artistic director in 1990. A friend, Britton Murdoch C’53, described him as “the quintessential Philadelphian,” recalling that “he built his own harpsichord and learned to play it.” At the Saratoga Chamber Music Festival in August, violinist Chantal Juillet dedicated her performance of Shostakovich’s Quartet No. 15 to Bernard Guth’s memory. His daughter is Dr. Mara E. Guth V’92. His brother is Paul D. Guth W’53 L’56 and his sister-in-law is Libby Guth Hafter CW’61.
Paul R. Nestler Jr. WG’55, Green Lane, Pa., Jan. 27.
Bettie Gross Taylor Nu’55, Quakertown, Pa., April 20.
Dr. Norris P. Wood Gr’55, Kingston, R.I., a retired chair and professor of microbiology at the University of Rhode Island, where he had taught for 31 years; May 19. Earlier he had taught at Texas A & M University for eight years. He had served on the Rhode Island State Advisory Committee on Heart, Cancer & Stroke. In 1992 he taught a course, in Jakarta, Indonesia, on Seafood Quality Control. He was a former president of the Pettaquamscutt Historical Society. In retirement he was a tax collector for the Kingston Fire District and a Meals on Wheels volunteer. And he published three books on family history.
William Nelson Moule GEE’57, Calabasas, Calif., April 27.
David Z. Orlow C’57, Brooklyn, N.Y., May 9.
James C. Phillips W’57, West Chester, Pa., Dec. 15, 2003.
Kenneth L. Robbins C’57, Manchester Center, Vt., April 11.
Parke H. Ulrich Jr. L’57, Collegeville, Pa., a retired attorney; March 22. For 25 years he was a partner with the firm Fox, Differ, Callahan, Ulrich & O’Hara, and then was with the firm of Masterson, Braunfeld & Milner, both of Norristown. He retired in 2005. While maintaining his practice he served as Montgomery County assistant district attorney and as solicitor for the Montgomery County Authority. He was past president of the Montgomery County Bar Association and the Montgomery County Trial Lawyers Association.
Eunice R. Yoder Nu’57, Cornwall, Pa., July 4, 2004.
Andrew M. Hunter W’58, Blue Bell, Pa., vice president of marketing at Germantown Savings Bank for 14 years, until his retirement in 1995; April 22. At Penn he was a coxswain on the crew team and participated in Olympic trials in 1956. Before joining Germantown Bank he was a vice president and marketing manager for commercial and international banking at Girard Bank. During the 1970s he oversaw Girard’s “Let George Do It” ad campaign, which featured an ATM machine named George. After retiring from Germantown Bank, he served on the board of the Quaint Oak Savings Bank in Southampton. For many years, until 1989, he served on the Wissahickon School Authority, which financed construction projects for the school district. He co-chaired the Whitpain tercentennial celebration in 2001. He was a past treasurer of the budget and finance committees of the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania. And he was a member of the First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry.
Donald M. Kadel Jr. W’58, Sayville, N.Y., April 4, 2004.
Charles J. Kilczewski W’58, Potomac, Md., Dec. 16, 2003.
John W. Leidy WG’58, Wayne, N.J., Jan. 15.
Dr. Roger D. Russell III GrEd’58, Sarasota, Fla., Dec. 14, 2005.
Jan McAuley Kriebel OT’59, Pittsburgh, Sept. 29, 2004.
Dr. Lolita Moore CGS’59 G’63, Southampton, Pa., Nov. 24, 2004.
James E. Zimmerman WEF’59, Camp Hill, Pa., Jan. 29.
1960 | Marvin M. Wodlinger L’60, Millville, N.J., an attorney for nearly 45 years and a former deputy attorney general for the state of New Jersey; May 14. He represented Airwork Corp. internationally and served as solicitor for the Millville Board of Education for many years, until his retirement. Early in his professional career he was instrumental in establishing the freeholder board in Cumberland County, and helped establish Cumberland County College, the state’s first community college. For many years he served as a board member of the Millville Savings and Loan Association and was a former president of the Millville Chamber of Commerce. He had served as county chair of the Democratic Party. He was a member of the advisory board of the Rutgers University research laboratory. He was a sectional master with the American Contract Bridge League and a licensed small-aircraft pilot. He had served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army in Berlin during the Cold War, retiring as a captain.
Helen D. Hanson GEd’61, Chestertown, Md., Oct. 30, 2004.
Frances C. Lutcavage Nu’61, Horsham, Pa., May 18.
1963 | Joseph Dinkins GEd’63, Springhouse, Pa., a retired grade-school teacher; April 27. While a student at Abington High School he won medals for the track team during the Penn Relays. He joined the staff of Anna B. Pratt School in North Philadelphia in 1958, where he introduced chess and foreign cultures to his fourth-, fifth-, and sixth-grade students. For five years before his retirement in 1998, he taught second graders and loved telling them stories, according to his daughter, the Hon. Carol S. Wells L’85. He regularly attended the National Black Storytellers conventions. He was active with the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia and, during the 1970s, with the Opportunities Industrialization Centers in the city, where he taught general equivalency diploma requirements. A skilled carpenter and plumber, he remodeled his own home and built a house for his mother. Co-captain of Cheyney University’s football team while he was a student there, he was inducted into Cheyney’s Athletic Hall of Fame in March. According to his family, at age 12 he caught a record-breaking catfish in a local creek, and continued his love of fishing throughout his life.
1964 | Dr. June M. Axinn Gr’64, Sarasota, Fla., professor emeritus of social welfare and former chair of the Faculty Senate (1983-84at the University; May 18. She was a lecturer at the Wharton School for one year before being appointed assistant professor in the School of Social Work in 1965. She was promoted to associate professor in 1969 and to professor in 1975; she retired in 1993. An active member of the Penn community, in 1985, as a member of the senate leadership, she oversaw the first survey of sexual harassment at Penn. Throughout her tenure she served on the University committee on academic planning and budget, the faculty committee on the economic status of the faculty, and the senate nominating committee. She chaired the Almanac advisory board, 1989-93, and was a member of the Penn Women’s Center advisory board from 1988 to her retirement. “June’s entire career at Penn was animated by a strong commitment to social justice,” recalled Dr. Mark J. Stern, professor of social policy and practice. “Her involvement in women’s issues was part of that concern.” The week before her death she received a lifetime achievement award from the women’s center. Her scholarly work focused on economic and historical aspects of social welfare; she co-wrote Social Welfare: A History of the American Response to Need (1975), now in its sixth edition; and she co-wrote, with Dr. Stern, Dependency and Poverty: Old Problems in a New World in 1988, which examined the implications of the economic restructuring during the 1970s and 1980s for the well-being of poor Americans. A member of several editorial boards, she served as the book-review editor of Administration in Social Work from 1978 until her retirement. Her husband is Dr. Sidney Axinn C’44 Gr’55.
Margaret B. Davies PT’64, Jacksonville, Fla., June 4, 2002.
Hon. Charles J. Walsh L’67, Ridgewood, N.J., a New Jersey Superior Court judge since 1999; July 25, 2005. He served in the civil division, where he handled complicated cases, most recently the 6,000 lawsuits concerning the fen-phen diet drug. For six months in 2003 he also served as a judge in the criminal division in Hackensack, where he presided over 30 trials. Early in his career he worked for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Newark, and rose to the position of first assistant before leaving the office in 1981. He was a partner at the Newark law firm of Sills, Cummis, Epstein & Gross, 1981-99. And he was a lecturer at Rutgers Law School in Newark. Known as a judge who always gave both sides a fair trial, he was also a mentor to young attorneys. “He was a giant of a lawyer,” said Jeffrey J. Greenbaum W’69, who worked with him at the U.S. Attorney’s Office. “He was one of the best litigators I have ever known.”
David R. Thomas WEv’68, Boca Raton, Fla., Aug. 16, 2005.
Wallace E. Pope WEv’69 WEv’80, Philadelphia, Nov. 1, 2005. He had worked for the Philadelphia Electric Co.
J. Edgar Sockwell WG’69, Charlotte, N.C., March 30.
Dr. Jack Michalka Jr. Gr’70, West Milford, N.J., Dec. 10, 2005.
1971 | Kathy Lee DeBoard Folk Nu’71 GNu’77, Limerick, Pa., a nurse and teacher of nursing; May 20. She had taught nursing at Chestnut Hill College and Villanova University, and in the 1980s and 1990s she at Thomas Jefferson and Hahnemann universites. She joined the faculty of Temple University’s College of Allied Health Professions in 1998 and continued teaching part time at Temple until 2003. A volunteer at health fairs and health screenings, she worked with the Special Olympics, and often gave lectures on health issues at schools and in the community, even after losing a leg to cancer in 2000. Having battled severe kidney disease since a young woman (including two kidney transplants), she received an award for volunteer service from the National Kidney Foundation of Delaware Valley in 1995.
Mary Anne Hale SW’71, New Orleans, March 3, 2005.
Paul A. Wurster C’71, Mount Laurel, N.J., Feb. 2, 2003.
Dr. Mary Stuart Fisher GM’72, Haddonfield, N.J., retired professor of radiology at Temple University; April 24. She began her teaching career as a staff physician at the Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, followed by appointments to Philadelphia General Hospital and Temple’s School of Medicine and Hospital. She was known for her ability to make a diagnosis after what seemed like only a glance at an X-ray, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. She retired in 2003. Although she did not identify herself as a “woman doctor,” said her husband, Dr. George Ross Fisher III, she had served as the first woman president of the Philadelphia Roentgen Society, the professional organization.
1973 | Gail F. Stern G’73, Hopewell, N.J., director of the Historical Society of Princeton since 1993, and past director of the Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies in Philadelphia; March 20. She joined the Balch Institute as a curator in 1979, later becoming director. Her work there chronicled immigrant history and highlighted the often negative use of ethnic imagery in advertising, toys, and cartoons, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. In Princeton she assembled collections that illuminated African American and Jewish life. One of her goals was to break down the elitism associated with museums and create institutions that welcomed what she saw as underserved communities. She worked as a consultant to area museums and historical societies and served in leadership posts with the Pennsylvania Humanities Council and the Pennsylvania Task Force on Folk Arts and Culture. She spearheaded efforts to secure Albert Einstein’s collection of Victorian furniture for the Historical Society in Princeton.
1974 | John D. Staley GAr’74 GCP’76 GFA’76, Indianapolis, the director of architecture at the architectural and engineering firm DLZ Corp.; Jan. 21. In 1976 he was the first architect hired by the engineering firm United Consulting Engineers, where he remained for 20 years as an architect and, later, as a manager and partner in the firm. He joined DLZ in 1996, at the opening of their Indianapolis office; as director of architecture for nine years, he specialized in courthouses and correctional facilities, and his projects included the Pendleton Juvenile Correctional Facility and the Hancock County Courthouse Annex.
1976 | Richard B. Fox C’76, Stockton, N.J., a financial consultant since 1988, most recently with Janney Montgomery Scott in New Hope, Pa.; May 27. He served on the vestry of Trinity Episcopal Church in Solebury, N.J., and helped organize fundraising events, including those that aided the church’s youth program’s efforts to improve parks and houses in inner-city Philadelphia. One of his daughters is Emily S. Fox EE’04.
John P. Richichi SW’76, Bellmore, N.Y., Jan. 29, 2004.
Virginia C. Kohan L’77, Oak Lawn, Ill., March 19, 2004.
1989 | Werner Peter Beck C’89, Folly Beach, S.C., a partner with the Charleston law firm of Qualey & Beck; Feb. 11. At Penn he was a member of Zeta Psi fraternity and had served as its president. And he had served on the local Penn secondary-schools committee. He was a former assistant solicitor for the 9th Judicial Circuit of Charleston County. An avid surfer, he was president of the Charleston chapter of Surfrider Foundation. His father is Dr. Werner Beck C’61.
1992 | Dr. Nicholas J. Finamore GM’92, Washington, an internist and clinical-research specialist; April 11. He served two years in the U.S. Public Health Service in St. Louis. He then practiced medicine in Philadelphia, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware. During the last eight years he monitored clinical studies in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries in Quintiles, a clinical research organization. His most recent position was as director of Phase-IV development at MedImmune in Gaithersburg, Md.
1993 | Dr. Joseph M. Farber C’93 G’99 L’99 Gr’03, Narberth, Pa., an associate with the Philadelphia law firm of Pepper Hamilton since 2003; May 22. A specialist on securities and antitrust matters, he was a member of the firm’s commercial-litigation group. He also was involved in pro bono work for prisoners’ civil rights and discrimination cases. In Dec. 2004 he was the first associate recruited as a member of the team when Pepper Hamilton joined with the ACLU of Pennsylvania and Americans for Separation of Church and State to file a federal lawsuit on behalf of 11 parents in the Dover Area School District. The parents challenged a school-board decision to require biology teachers to present the concept of Intelligent Design as an alternative to the science of evolution. According to Eric Rothschild L’93, a partner with the firm and the lead an attorney in the case, Joseph (who had three degrees in philosophy from Penn), uncovered key evidence at a deposition, that a board member had collected money from his church congregation to purchase 60 copies of the Intelligent Design book, Of Pandas and People, for use in the schools. Robert Pennock, a philosopher of science and a key witness in the case, said, “I think he enjoyed the chance to put on his philosopher’s hat again and think about the import and the concepts involved … He clearly cared tremendously about the civil-rights issues.” The case, Kitzmiller v. Dover, went to trial in 2005: The judge ruled earlier this year that Intelligent Design, as a disguised version of Creationism, could not be taught in the district because it violated the separation of church and state. (See “Intelligent Demise,” April/May, www.upenn.edu/gazette/0306/feature1.html). As a teenager he had won an amateur competition bicycling up the “Manayunk Wall” in Philadelphia; he continued to avidly cycle, at Penn as a member of the cycling team and afterwards. His wife is Dr. Carol A. Hagan Gr’00. His father is David J. Farber, a professor in the Department of Computer and Information Science.
Dr. June M. Axinn. See Class of 1964.
Dr. Ronald P. Daniele, Philadelphia, professor of medicine in the pulmonary, allergy, and critical-care division of the Penn Lung Center; May 5. In 1971 he began a 35-year career at the Penn with a fellowship at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He joined the faculty in 1974 as assistant professor of medicine with a secondary appointment as assistant professor of pathology. In 1978 he was promoted to associate professor and in 1983 to professor. That year he earned a secondary appointment as professor of medicine in pathology and laboratory medicine, which he held until 1992. In 2002 he received the Robert L. Mayock/Alfred P. Fishman Teaching Award. As an administrator Dr. Daniele served Penn as medical director of pulmonary diagnostic services and pulmonary rehabilitation at HUP. He had held other appointments at the old Philadelphia General Hospital, the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, and the Veterans Administration Medical Center. His research interests included sarcoidosis, dyspnea, and cellular-immune mechanisms in the lung. His daughters are Claire A. Daniele C’98 and Dr. Lauren L. Daniele C’98 Gr’06.
Dr. Charlotte E. Fiechter, Mount Prospect, Ill., former vice dean of the continuing education; March 10. She came to Penn in 1968 as the assistant to the vice provost in the College for Women. In 1972 she became director of continuing education and in 1975 was promoted to vice dean. Among her many committee credits was longtime service as an active member of the admissions committee. She also served as resident director of Stouffer House. She was “a dedicated and creative academic adviser and administrator who found ways to enhance existing programs and to explore new approaches. She encouraged everyone to do his or her best, and to value things like lifelong learning and diversity,” said Sydney Ann Lefkoe CW’68, who worked with Dr. Fiechter at the College for Women. She was also a faculty member in the history department, specializing in European diplomatic history, according to Lefkoe. After leaving the University in 1979, Dr. Fiechter was principal and director of St. Thomas Christian Academy. She also served as chief consultant for Higher Education Resources Services/Mid-America, located at the University of Denver, for which she designed women’s leadership training programs. From 1990 to 1996 she served as the second executive director of the Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. She then worked with the Executive Service Corps of Chicago.
Caleb Foote. See Class of 1953.
Dr. Jaroslav Pelikan Hon’04, New Haven, Conn., the former scholarly director of the Annenberg Foundation Trust at Sunnylands Institutions of Democracy project and a visiting scholar at the Annenberg School; May 13. Joining the Yale University faculty in 1962, he was the Sterling Professor of History and Religious Studies until 1996. He was dean of the Yale Graduate School, 1975-78. In 1988 he came to the Annenberg School as a visiting scholar, a position he held until his death. A former president of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, he was appointed by U.S. President Bill Clinton to serve on the President’s Committee on the Arts and Humanities. He was the recipient of more than 40 honorary degrees, including a Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa, from Penn. That year Dr. Pelikan also received the Kluge Prize for Lifetime Achievement in the Human Sciences from the Library of Congress.
Dr. Etienne van de Walle, Merion, Pa., professor emeritus of demography and professor of sociology; March 21. Before coming to Penn he was a field researcher in Central Africa. He left Africa in 1961 to become a researcher for the Office of Population Research at Princeton University for 10 years. He joined the Penn faculty as a professor of sociology in 1972, and directed the Population Studies Center, 1976-82. He was for many years chair of the graduate group in demography and for 15 years directed Penn’s African demography training and research group, where he trained African scholars in population studies. He retired in 2001, but continued writing papers on the history of contraception, analyzing African census data, working with students, and editing Population, the English-language edition of a French journal. He co-wrote the 1968 pathfinding book, The Demography of Tropical Africa. In 1974 he published The Female Population of France in the Nineteenth Century, which helped shed light on fertility declines. His great intellectual interest was the cultural and social change implicit in the idea that family size could and should be controlled within marriage. “Although Dr. van de Walle left Africa in 1961, the continent never really left him,” said Dr. Herbert Smith, professor of sociology and director of the Population Studies Center. “He was fascinated by changes in the African families: living patterns, in marriage customs, and fertility. He was dedicated to the training of African scholars.” He was the first vice president of the Population Association of America in 1988, and was elected president in 1992. His daughters are Dominique P. van de Walle C’78 and Patrice P. van de Walle C’82 G’83 G’89 WG’89. His sons are Jean François van de Walle C’80 G’86 WG’86 and Nicolas P. van de Walle C’79, whose daughter is Nadia C. van de Walle C’08.