????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????


Nov|Dec 2007

1910

1921

1923

1924

1925

1926

1927

1928

1929

1930

1931

1932

1933

1934

1935

1936

1937

1938

1939

1940

1941

1942

1943

1944

1945

1946

1947

1948

1949

1950

1951

1952

1953

1954

1955

1956

1957

1958

1959

1960

1961

1962

1963

1964

 

 

1965

1966

1967

1968

1969

1970

1971

1972

1973

1974

1975

1976

1977

1978

1979

1980

1981

1982

1983

1984

1985

1986

1987

1988

1989

1990

1991

1992

1993

1994

1995

1996

1997

1998

1999

2000

2001

2002

2003

2004

2005

2006

Faculty & Staff

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1925

Sidney D. Apt C’25 M’32, Philadelphia, an art director who later owned an advertising firm in the city; May 30.


1928

Gertrude K. Freedberg DH’28, Bethlehem, Pa., Feb. 28.


1929

David G. Geikler Jr. W’29, Willow Grove, Pa., March 3.

George C. Jenkins C’29 Ar’31, Santa Monica, Calif., an Academy Award-winning production designer and three-time Tony nominee; April 6. While at Penn he designed sets for summer stock and small theater troupes; he later assisted the legendary Broadway designer Jo Mielziner. One of his first independent jobs, designing the lights and sets for the 1944 comedy I Remember Mama, caught the eye of Samuel Goldwyn, who sent him to California to work on the film The Best Years of Our Lives. He was nominated for a Tony Award for his Broadway set design of The Miracle Worker, but is better known for his work on the 1976 film All the President’s Men, for which he co-won an Academy Award. He worked with many directors over his seven-decade career, but had a fertile collaboration with Alan Pakula, especially on the latter’s “paranoia trilogy”: Klute, The Parallax View, and All the President’s Men. George Jenkins also designed for television, and later in life was a professor at UCLA.

John W. Taylor W’29, Evanston, Ill., June 4.


back to top

1930

Richard C. Brockway W’30, Southampton, Pa., April 9.

Mary Warrick Keating Ed’30, Rancocas, N.J., a retired teacher and guidance counselor; March 22.

Betty Woods Langner Ed’31, Narberth, Pa., March 22. One of her sons is Dr. Paul H. Langner III C’60 V’66, whose wife is Dr. Suzanne B. Langner Nu’64 GNu’72.

Dr. J. George Teplick C’31 G’32 M’36 GM’42, Philadelphia, a retired teacher of radiology at Hahnemann University Hospital; May 17.


back to top

1932

Carmela M. Correale Ed’32 G’35, Newtown Square, Pa., a retired vice president for international sales with what is now GlaxoSmithKline; April 9.


back to top

1933

Santo A. Giamber WEF’33, Coopersburg, Pa., Oct. 26, 2005.

Dr. Felda Hightower M’33, Winston-Salem, N.C., professor emeritus of surgery at Wake Forest University; May 30. He was governor of the American College of Surgeons from 1963 to 1975.

Elwood S. Levy C’33, Sarasota, Fla., a personal-injury trial lawyer in Philadelphia who helped found the city’s Trial Lawyers Association and served as its president; April 27. At Penn he was a member of varsity crew. He headed the Philadelphia Bar’s judiciary committee, and helped draft the Pennsylvania Code of Judicial Conduct in 1973. A partner with Richter, Lord & Levy until the early 1970s, he went on to work for other firms until retiring in the 1980s. During World War II he was a U.S. Navy intelligence officer aboard the Intrepid and saw action in the Pacific.

Martin C. Wright W’33, Peterborough, N.H., a former editor and personnel administration officer with The Associated Press in New York; April 8. He later ran his own public-relations firm.


back to top

1934

Margaret Robinson Everhart DH’34, Smyrna, Del., November 2006.

Alvin J. Weinberg C’34, New York, Dec. 23, 2006.

Edgar B. Young G’34, Medford, N.J., chief project adviser to John D. Rockefeller III in the construction of Lincoln Center; April 6. During his tenure as acting president then executive vice president of the nonprofit corporation, he oversaw the construction of eight buildings: Philharmonic Hall (now Avery Fisher Hall), the New York State Theater, the Vivian Beaumont Theater, the Metropolitan Opera House, Alice Tully Hall, the Juilliard School, the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, and the Guggenheim Band Shell in Damrosch Park. He retired in 1973. He was described as, “for all practical purposes, the eyes and ears for John D. Rockefeller III.” He had been first hired by Rockefeller in 1946 to advise on the family’s philanthropic interests, primarily the Japan Society and the Asia Society. Earlier Edgar Young had worked for the American Friends Service Committee, the federal Department of Labor, and the Bureau of the Budget.


back to top

1935

Ruth Dolfman Fields Ed’35, Sacramento, Calif., March 30. For many years she served on the board of the Association of Alumnae. Her husband was the late Dr. Harry Fields M’36 GM’40, professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University until his death in 1986. One of her granddaughters is Lauren Fisher Newberg C’89, and one of her nieces is Dr. Kay B. Cynamon CW’73 M’77.

Austin L. Newman W’35, Wyncote, Pa., April 19.

Dorothy Green Senges Ed’35, Victor, N.Y., January. Her husband is Donald C. Senges ChE’36 and their son is Donald C. Senges Jr. WG’66.


back to top

1936

Norman W. Brown W’36, Pittsford, N.Y., Jan. 23.

Dr. Augustine A. Ciotola C’36, Hazleton, Pa., Oct. 20, 2006.

Joseph M. Federici Jr. W’36, Stamford, Conn., Aug. 3, 2006.

Dr. Edward Flick C’36, Wenatchee, Wash., a retired ophthalmologist who had maintained a practice in Seattle; Jan. 15. Earlier he had been a general practitioner in Chicago. During World War II he was a lieutenant physician in the U.S. Navy.

Dr. Elinor Moore Irvin Gr’36, Chapel Hill, N.C., Jan. 19.

George W. Walton C’36, Lansdale, Pa., June 11.

Sara Self Young Ed’36, Key Largo, Fla., May 3.


back to top

1937

Dr. Sylvan H. Eisman C’37 M’41 GM’50, Philadelphia, professor emeritus in the division of general internal medicine in the School of Medicine; June 26. Joining the faculty in 1946, he became a full professor in 1970. A general internist with a specialty in oncology, he helped establish the chemotherapy unit at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Although he retired from private practice in 1989 and earned emeritus status, he continued to maintain an office at the Medical Center, where he focussed on risk management and medical malpractice until retiring in 2003, having spent 70 years in association with the University. In 1983 the Trustees of the University approved a resolution in Dr. Eisman’s honor and acknowledged the creation of the Sylvan H. Eisman Professorship of Medicine and his appointment as the School of Medicine’s first Distinguished Professor of Clinical Medicine. The resolution noted that he was “above all a constant, loyal, and superb physician” with “consummate knowledge, practical wisdom, keen judgment, unfailing concern, and good humor … He gives us much to emulate, and legion are those who have tried to make themselves more like him.” In 1998, the School of Medicine created a set of clinical Awards of Excellence, including the Sylvan Eisman Outstanding Primary-Care Physician Award. Dr. Eisman received the School’s Lifetime Humanism Award in 2002. His other honors include the Alumni Service Award, given in appreciation of his “generous, loyal, and energetic commitment” to the School. Dr. Edward J. Stemmler M’60 GM’64, former dean of the School of Medicine, noted, “The life of a dean would be easy indeed if there could be a faculty of Sylvan Eismans.” He also received, from a patient, a gold medal that simply stated: “Dr. Eisman saved my life.” But when asked to name his “finest hour” at HUP, he cited his Christmas Day visits, when he made the rounds dressed as Santa Claus and delivered gifts. During World War II Dr. Eisman served as a U.S. Army flight surgeon with an airborne troop-carrier squadron from 1942 to 1945, when he was discharged as a major. His daughters are Amy J. Eisman CW’74 and Marian Eisman Forman CW’69, whose daughter is Laura J. Forman L’04.

George H. Floyd W’37, Cambria, Calif., a retired certified public accountant; July 3, 2006.

Paul T. Willis W’37, Brunswick, Ga., Aug. 19, 2006. He worked for the old Mobil Oil Co. in Philadelphia until his retirement in 1972. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy. His daughter is Ame Willis Ivanov L’72. His son, Paul T. Willis Jr. L’66, died in Oct. 2004.


back to top

1938

Dr. John E. Dotterer M’38, Sanford, N.C., March 23.

E. Russell Gutsche Ed’38 GEd’50, Media, Pa., June 7.

Josephine Garfield Jefferies Ed’38, Xenia, Ohio, March 1.

Martin S. Kermacy Ar’38 GAr’39, Austin, Tex., professor emeritus of architecture and planning at the University of Texas, Austin, where he had taught from 1947 to 1983; June 8.

Barbara L. Morey CW’38, Richmond, Mass., Feb. 2.

Dr. Maurice L. Zox GM’38, Columbus, Ohio, July 16, 2006.


back to top

1939

Jean Smith Fairbanks Ed’39 GEd’53, Malvern, Pa., Jan. 15, 2006.

Daniel B. Gilbreth W’39, W. Caldwell, N.J., June 13, 2006.

Virginia Ross Green CW’39, Cranberry Township, Pa., Jan. 17.

Dr. Leonard Krawitz V’39, Coatesville, Pa., a retired veterinarian who had practiced for over 50 years; May 12. During the 1940s his veterinary practice in West Philadelphia treated horses for the city’s dairies, rubbish wagons, mounted police, and Fairmount Park guard units. In the 1960s he built West Park Animal Hospital and focused his practice on pets, with a specialty in ophthalmology, before retiring in 1991. A jazz clarinetist, he performed with many orchestras, including the Philadelphia Doctors Symphony and the Reading Terminal Jazz Band. Philadelphia magazine named him one of the city’s top clarinetists in 1993 and 1994. During World War II he served as a veterinarian in the U.S. Army in the China-Burma-India theater, caring for the horses and mules that transported soldiers and supplies on the Burma Road. One of his sons is Michael F. Krawitz C’69.

Percy C. Madeira III L’39, Rosemont, Pa., an attorney with the Federal Deposit Insurance Co. from 1972 until his retirement in 1984; Jan. 16. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in Ireland and later worked at the Pentagon as an intelligence officer; as liaison officer with the Office of Strategic Services, he received the War Citation. Overall he spent 17 years in the military, retiring as a lieutenant colonel, Army Reserve.

Robert Mahan W’39, Philadelphia, a retired executive for what is now Teledyne Corp.; March 26.

Samuel T. Messner Jr. W’39, Atlanta, a retired stockbroker who had practiced in St. Petersburg, Fla.; Nov. 6, 2003. At Penn he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Force.

Eugene G. Sweeney W’39, Buzzards Bay, Mass., Aug. 19, 2006.

Paul Clothier Van Dyke C’39 L’42, Willow Valley, Pa., a retired attorney; March 25. He wrote The Van Dyke Family: A Glimpse of the Dutch Settlement in New Jersey.

John D. Wagner W’39, Loganton, Pa., Feb. 17.


back to top

1940

Robert N. Cooper W’40, Las Vegas, May 2.

Dr. James S. C. Harris M’40 GM’47, Lansdale, Pa., a retired surgeon at Roxborough Memorial Hospital; April 7.

Dr. Edward Kulczycki M’40, Athens, Pa., head of the ophthalmology department of Guthrie Clinic in Sayre, where he had worked from 1954 until his retirement in 1982; Feb. 5. During World War II he was first a flight surgeon at the U.S. Naval air station in Pensacola, Fla., then became medical officer of Patrol Bombing, Squadron 11 (the Black Cat Squadron) of the Seventh Fleet. After serving in the South Pacific he became senior medical officer on the aircraft carrier Saipan.

Cmdr. Edward P. O’Neill W’40, Malvern, Pa., a retired naval commander and purchasing director for C. Schmidt & Sons Brewing Co.; May 9. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy aboard the Chiwawa, an oil tanker with convoys. He remained in the Navy until his retirement in 1966, then worked for Schmidt until 1979.

Rosa Heskel Perchonock Ed’40 GEd’41, Philadelphia, May 13.

Callman Rawley PSW’40, San Francisco, a retired social worker and administrator of social services, and, as Carl Rakosi, a poet; June 24, 2004. His published work includes eight volumes of poetry, a large Collected Poems, and a volume of Collected Prose. An oral history of his life, conducted by Kimberly Bird C’94, was published by the University of California, Berkeley. (See “Reflections in a Poetic Eye: Remembering Objectivist Poet Carl Rakosi,” “All Things Ornamental,” May|June 2006 www.upenn.edu/gazette/0506/arts01.html).


back to top

1941

Martin M. Bell W’41 L’48, North Bethesda, Md., a retired attorney who specialized in tax law; June 21. He worked for the IRS and then the Washington firm of Lichtenberg & Luria, before opening a solo practice in Silver Spring, Md. He was one of the first attorneys to develop the 401(k) pension plan for corporations and their employees. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army, obtaining the rank of captain.

Jean C. DiPrimio DH’41, West Chester, Pa., April 23.

William Kroll W’41, Laguna Woods, Calif., June 14, 2006.

Dr. Ervin Miller C’41 Gr’51, Philadelphia, associate professor emeritus of finance at the Wharton School, where he taught from 1947 until his retirement in 1988; May 23. He had specialized in U.S. financial history and monetary policy, and wrote Micro-Economic Effects of Monetary Policy (1978). He also co-wrote, with other Wharton faculty members, The Changing Structure of the Investment Banking Industry. An endowed chair was established at the Wharton School in his honor. After retiring, he devoted almost a decade to volunteer work, including development of One Giant Step for Young Children, a reading program successfully used in Philadelphia public schools. During World War II he had served in the U.S. Army as a supply officer in the Third Army headquarters in Europe. His wife, Dr. Ann Ratner Miller Gr’62, professor emeritus of sociology at the University, died in 2006. (See “Obituaries,” July|August 2006 www.upenn.edu/gazette/0706/obits.html#62) One of his daughters is Dr. Tanfield C. Miller WG’80 G’81 Gr’87. His brother-in-law is Dr. Marc L. Ratner G’51.

Robert W. Partridge Ed’41 GEd’47, West Chester, Pa., director of athletics and a history teacher at the Kent School in Connecticut, until his retirement in 1986; May 4. At Penn he had lettered in baseball and soccer and captained the soccer team in his senior year, making All-East honors. He was president of his class, and has been elected to the Senior Sphinx Society. He also coached soccer and baseball at Kent, as he had done at Wilkes College in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., earlier in his career. For many years he was a tutor, counselor, and coach at Camp Susquehannock in Brackney, Pa., and later head of the junior camp, until he retired in 1988. During World War II he had served as a gunnery and catapult officer aboard the U.S. Navy light cruisers Topeka and Columbia. As a division officer he led 40 combat sailors during several engagements in the Pacific, including the Battle of Empress Bay in the Leyte Gulf invasion. His son is Glenn R. Partridge C’76 and two of his nephews are Richard J. Partridge C’55 and Bruce A. Partridge C’60.

Walter W. Schmidt WEv’41, Elizabethtown, Pa., April 3.

Dorothy Grzesiak Wyzykiewicz NEd’41, Malvern, Pa., a retired nurse; Nov. 27, 2006.


back to top

1942

Arthur M. Eastburn Jr. L’42, Delray Beach, Fla., Feb. 8.

Dr. Jay W. Fidler Jr. M’42, Pompano Beach, Fla., Feb. 18.

Dr. Horace C. Reider M’42, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a physician who had maintained a practice there from 1943 until his retirement in 1981; May 9.

A. Francina Stonesifer CW’42, Charles Town, W.V., a career naval officer; March 17. In 1943 she was commissioned an ensign in the first WAVE class of the U.S. Navy. After retiring as a lieutenant commander in 1963, she became a director of the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, until her retirement in 1986.


back to top

1943

George F. Humphrey W’43, Phoenix, Ariz., Jan. 2.

James E. Taylor Gr’43, Webster, N.Y., Nov. 2005.

George S. Weigel W’43, Timonium, Md., manager of Prudential Insurance Co., a brokerage firm, until his retirement in 1982; Oct. 19, 2004. During World War II he commanded a landing craft tank for the U.S. Navy in New Guinea, the Philippines, and Japan.

Marcella L. Charleston White CW’43 L’45, Merion, Pa., Oct. 23, 2006. Her daughter is Joan White Wurzel CW’70 G’78 Gr’80, whose husband is Dr. John M. Wurzel C’70 M’78 GM’81. Her nephew is John M. Weinberg C’72.


back to top

1944

Dorothy A. Baugher Ed’44, Hockessin, Del., Aug. 19, 2006.

William H. Wurster WEv’44, Haverford, Pa., an entrepreneur who established the William H. Wurster Center for International Management Studies at the Wharton School; June 18. He established a professorship for multinational management studies at Wharton in 1986, followed by the center in 1987. He began his career as co-owner of the Buccaneer Line, an independent shipping company in Florida, after purchasing three retired ships from the U.S. Navy and converting them to merchant vessels. In 1949 he joined Woodward & Dickerson, Inc., a small merchant-trading company on the Philadelphia waterfront. He rose from traffic manager to president and then chair of the firm, overseeing its growth as an international import-export enterprise with offices in Canada, East Asia, the U.K., and Australia. After the company’s sale to ConAgra Inc. in 1986, he retired to pursue other ventures, including starting a land-development company, a desalination plant, and a cocoa-powder manufacturing plant. He also headed the Wurster Group, overseeing private trusts and investing in start-up companies. And he founded the Wurster Family Foundation for educational, medical, and local community charities. He wrote a memoir, The World Is Our Playground (2002). During World War II he served in the Merchant Marines aboard cargo ships in the North Atlantic, achieving the rank of captain. His son is William G. Wurster WG’89.


back to top

1945

Louise Farrell Lilienfeld CW’45, Brooklyn, N.Y., May 11.

Gloria Irene Rowland NTS’45, Cherry Hill, N.J., Dec. 3, 2005.

Clayton P. Weaver Jr. Ed’45 GEd’46 G’49, Coatesville, Pa., April 11.


back to top

1946

Corinne Byers Howard CW’46, Willow Street, Pa., April 11, 2006.

Dr. Walter C. Klingensmith M’46 GM’50, Gladwyne, Pa., Jan. 1.


back to top

1947

Earl M. Carpenter WG’47, Fayetteville, Ga., Jan. 29.

Wilmer Chance Ar’47, Lancaster, Pa., Jan. 16. He had worked for the Lucius R. White architectural firm in Baltimore.

Dr. William P. Houpt C’47 G’51 G’51 Gr’64, Westtown, Pa., a retired professor of history at West Chester University, from 1964 until his retirement in 1980; March 27. During World War II he was a U.S. Army officer assigned to a Signal Corps photo company in Delhi, where the Allied Southeast Asia Command was based. He was an aerial photographer with the Royal Air Force. Another film he made, Lifeline to China, was included in the documentary film series Why We Fight, directed by Frank Capra. From 1945 to 1946 he photographed British efforts to treat disease and famine in India.

Catherine Gray Paine Ned’47 GEd’57, Lansdale, Pa., April 3, 2006.

Gaspar Roca Jr. W’47, San Juan, P.R., a journalist who founded the Puerto Rican daily El Vocero in 1974, and edited it for more than three decades; April 8. He was credited with improving freedom of the press there by his willingness to bankroll several court challenges. During the 1980s he won a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that opened preliminary hearings in Puerto Rican courts to the public when they involve criminal cases.

Israel Shenker C’47, HaNegev, Israel, a former correspondent for Time magazine and The New York Times; June 9. Known as “Buddy,” he spent 20 years in Europe as a correspondent for Time, before joining The Times in 1968. Considered “a scholar trapped in a newsman’s body,” he was known for his coverage of writing and languages, especially Yiddish. After retiring in 1979 he wrote freelance articles on European travel for The Times. He wrote several books, including In the Footsteps of Johnson and Boswell (1982) and Coat of Many Colors: Pages from Jewish Life (1985).

Dr. Charles W. Thacker M’47, Coolville, Ohio, Jan. 9.

Bette Cole Watson NTS’47, Philipsburg, Pa., April 19, 2005.


back to top

1948

Roosevelt L. Clark ChE’48, Loveladies, N.J., an employee of Exxon Corp. for 25 years, until his retirement in 1982; April 25. During World War II he served with the U.S. Navy in the South Pacific.

Robert B. Clarke W’48, Bradenton, Fla., Feb. 15.

Joseph M. Ferrick W’48, Jenkintown, Pa., Feb. 25.

Robert I. Goldy W’48 L’50, Blue Bell, Pa., April 4.

Nelson C. Krum W’48, Denver, Jan. 24.

William F. Monroe C’48 M’50, Cincinnati, April 23, 2006.

Audrey Shaffran Schmerling CW’48, Wyncote, Pa., Feb. 17.

Samuel P. Tauder W’48, King of Prussia, Pa., April 18. Known as “Sonny,” he was founding president of Tauder Ford in Phoenixville for 44 years. His sisters are Marcy Tauder Berkowitz FA’52 and “Fluffy” Tauder Palmer CW’57.


back to top

1949

Col. Edward Dreiss GEE’49, Houston, Tex., Jan. 24.

James J. Gavin Jr. W’49, Winnetka, Ill., Feb. 22.

Allen C. Kane Jr. WEv’49, Newtown Square, Pa., a retired vice president of Frank H. Fleer Co., the Philadelphia chewing-gum manufacturer; June 17.

Morton A. Kornreich C’49, White Plains, N.Y., chair of the UJA-Federation of New York who was a former national chair of the United Jewish Appeal; March 27. He and his twin brother, Matthew R. Kornreich W’48, were partners in a Manhattan insurance brokerage founded by their father in 1917. In 1985 and 1986 he was president of the United Jewish Appeal of Greater New York. When the UJA’s New York branch merged with the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies in 1986, he became chair; it is now the UJA-Federation. From 1988 to 1990 he served as national chair of the United Jewish Appeal. He was also a vice president of the American Jewish Committee and chaired its Koppelman Institute on American Jewish-Israeli Relations. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps. His son-in-law is Robert J. Rieger W’77, whose son is Zachary D. Rieger C’10. Another grandson is Todd B. Kornreich C’08.

Dr. Everett S. Lee C’49 Gr’52, Athens, Ga., March 16.

Dr. Paul J. Roby GEd’49, Riverside, Calif., Nov. 28, 2005.

James R. Wescott Jr. EE’49, Deltaville, Va., April 12.


back to top

1950

Robert W. Clements WEv’50, Cinnaminson, N.J., March 3.

Dr. Edwin E. Czarnecki C’50, Elkton, Md., January.

Trudy King Decker CW’50, Beach Haven, N.J., medical-news officer for the University’s News Bureau from 1967 until her retirement in 1975; May 14. She began as a medical-news writer for Penn in 1963 and went on to cover all five of the University’s health schools: Medicine, Dental Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Medical Professions. A noted amateur chef, she for many years organized spectacular receptions at the Philadelphia Sketch Club. Her stepson is Christian F. Decker III C’65, whose children are Stephanie L. Decker C’92 and Boyd C. Decker EAS’95 W’95.

Richard S. Haak W’50, Lebanon, Pa., Jan. 15.

Dr. Warren M. Hamscher D’50, Emmaus, Pa., Jan. 28.

T. Leonard Linsley WEv’50, Hatboro, Pa., April 7.

Marcella Alexaderdrovich Martin Ed’50, Bremerton, Wash., April 28.

Jane C. Miller CW’50, Radnor, Pa., April 12.

Paul S. Mitchell WG’50, Columbia, S.C., April 2.

Spencer M. Overton WG’50, Williamsburg, Va., March 13, 2006.

George B. Trimmer W’50, York, Pa., a retired manufacturer’s sales representative; June 4. During World War II he served as a sergeant with the 78th Fighter Combat Squadron of the U.S. Army Air Corps.


back to top

1951

I. Robert Altman W’51, New York, Dec. 1, 2006. At Penn he was a member of Phi Epsilon Pi fraternity.

Frank S. DiSanto ME’51, Audubon, Pa., May 27.

Charles L. Hughey W’51, Swarthmore, Pa., March 18.

James F. Lawler L’51, Philadelphia, a retired attorney; June 15. In 1952 he established, with the late Isidor Ostroff C’27 L’30, a law firm that often represented clients from communist countries seeking benefits from Pennsylvania relatives; he successfully argued the “Iron Curtain Act” before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in 1971.

James D. McGuigan GME’51, Honey Brook, Pa., founder of McGuigan Engineering in 1960 in Hartford, Conn., which he later moved to Coatesville, Pa.; April 15.

Mary D. Merrill G’51, Saco, Maine, Nov. 9, 2005.

Dr. F. Edward Miller D’51, Missouri City, Tex., Nov. 1, 2006.

George B. Milner W’51, Doylestown, Pa., manager of the Neshaminy Mall and the Granite Run Mall during the 1970s; Feb. 18.

Claire S. Scharf Ed’51 GEd’52, Clearwater, Fla., Jan. 17.

Dr. Edward C. Sutton M’51, Burlington, N.C., a retired physician; Feb. 16.

Dr. Charles H. Winkler W’51 GEd’64, Bethlehem, Pa., Oct. 16, 2006. He began his career with the DuPont Co., before going into education. Later in life he studied investing, working last for Janney Montgomery Scott.


back to top

1952

Ann Allen Ed’52, Plymouth Meeting, Pa., April 2006.

Charles H. Byerly Ar’52, Colorado Springs, a partner in the Byerly & Dearing architectural firm; Oct. 28, 2006.

Robert S. Erlebach W’52, New Hope, Pa., April 10.

James M. Fuelling W’52, Vancouver, Wash., Oct. 3, 2005.

Dr. Samuel H. Horton GM’52, Beaufort, S.C., March 16. During the Korean War he had served in the U.S. Navy Medical Corps.

John G. Nace FA’52 GFA’53, Lincoln Park, N.J., May 6, 2006.

Dr. John L. Rutherford CCC’52 GMt’61 Gr’63, Ridgewood, N.J., April 7.

Richard E. Ryman ME’52, Export, Pa., May 21.


back to top

1953

Dr. Fred B. Cornett GD’53, Fearrington Village, N.C., an oral surgeon who had maintained practices in Virginia and North Carolina, until his retirement in 1998; July 22, 2006. He had served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War.

Floyd Crawford Jr. W’53, Brooklyn, N.Y., Sept. 3, 2006.

Alexander Greenfeld L’53, Washington, a retired libel lawyer who was the U.S. attorney for Delaware in the 1960s, and a staff lawyer for The New York Times during the 1970s; Dec. 1, 2006. He also taught media and libel law at the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Maryland. From 1985 to 1988 he was counsel to U.S. News and World Report magazine.

Dr. Edwin Langberg EE’53, Lumberton, N.J., a retired engineer; Dec. 11, 2006.

Masaru Masaki WG’53, Kanagawa, Japan, a retired executive who played a pivotal role in the country’s atomic-energy insurance business; March 2, 2006.

Lois M. Shapiro Phillips CW’53 GEd’69, Oakland, Calif., a retired elementary school teacher at Media Friends School in Pennsylvania; May 10. She had written and illustrated children’s books.

Lawrence Umstead GEd’53, Media, Pa., Dec. 10, 2006.


back to top

1954

Charles W. Boettcher Jr. W’54, Winchester, Va., March 26, 2006.

Dr. John F. Breslin D’54, Gilbert, Ariz., a dentist who had maintained a practice in State College, Pa., until his retirement in 1995; Oct. 9, 2006. His daughter is Julia Breslin Furnary DH’83.

George C. Crowder WEv’54, Philadelphia, a retired supervisor for the Pennsylvania Department of Welfare, where he had worked for 25 years; March 30. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in Europe, attaining the rank of sergeant.

Victor P. Galgano GAr’54, Milltown, N.J., Feb. 5.

Paul C.T. Loo WG’54, Honolulu, June 25.

Joseph D. McGonagle W’54, Lynnfield, Mass., president of Mystic Bituminous Products, in Everett; May 24.


back to top

1955

John S. Bogosian WEv’55, Newtown Square, Pa., founder of The Camera Shop, now Ritz Camera Center; March 21. After working in his father’s West Philadelphia camera store, he opened his own business in Broomall. The business later expanded to 72 stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, and Delaware. He sold to Ritz in 1999.

Kathleen Craig Epperly CW’55, Menlo Park, Calif., March 7. Her husband is William F. Epperly, Jr. EE’56 GEE’64.

Dr. David M. Gardner Gr’55, King of Prussia, April 29.

Dr. James L. Larson D’55, Lancaster, Pa., a dentist who had maintained a practice in Wayne and then Devon, near Philadelphia, for over 35 years; June 13. He was one of two dentists for the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team, attending all home games and traveling with the team during playoffs. He was chair of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Foundation, 1985-95. And he was a trustee of West Chester University for 16 years.

Margaret Rea Peterman NTS’55 GNu’64, Farmington Hills, Mich., Jan. 16.

Dr. James R. Vitelli Gr’55, Dresden, Maine, Dec. 3, 2006.

Lois Williams Webb SW’55, Robesonia, Pa., Dec. 2, 2006.

Dr. George W. Weinstein C’55, Encinitas, Calif., the former Jane McDermot Shott Professor and chair of ophthalmology at West Virginia University; May 12. He was a former chair of ophthalmology at the University of Texas in San Antonio, and a former faculty member of the Wilmer Eye Institute of Johns Hopkins University.


back to top

1956

Dr. Samuel H. Black M’56, College Station, Tex., March 30.

Gerald G. Kramer W’56 L’60, Sidney, N.Y., Dec. 20, 2006.

Rembrandt B. Snyder WG’56, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., assistant vice president of Atlantic National Bank in Jacksonville and then president and director of Flagship Bank of Palm Beach County; May 2.

Dr. Franklin P. Sweetser Gr’56, Lake Bluff, Ill., emeritus professor of French at the University of Illinois in Chicago, from where he retired in 1991; April 1. “He enjoyed very much his graduate studies at Penn,” recalled his wife, Dr. Marie-Odile Gauny Sweetser Gr’57.


back to top

1957

T. Roberts Appel II C’57, Lancaster, Pa., July 9, 2006.

Alan J. Davis C’57, Philadelphia, a partner at the law firm of Ballard Spahr, and a former city solicitor; May 8.

Hon. Myrna Paul Field CW’57 L’63 GL’72, Philadelphia, senior judge of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas; April 24. She was elected to the Court of Common Pleas in 1991 and served as administrative judge of the Family Court, 2002-06. Earlier she had served as assistant district attorney.

Dolores M. Fournier NTS’57, South Park, Pa., April 9.

Stanton A. Greenblatt W’57, Vineland, N.J., Dec. 1, 2006.

Mark J. Levinson W’57, Waltham, Mass., Jan. 11, 2006.

Joan A. Safko NTS’57 Nu’60 GEd’62, Philadelphia, May 11.


back to top

1958

Eleanor M. Casciano GEd’58, Clifton Heights, Pa., Nov. 25, 2006.

Dr. Robert I. Giesberg Gr’58, Houston, Tex., May 28.

Marilyn Grey Hinchliffe NTS’58, Pittsburgh, March 19.

Winfred F. Keough Jr. Ar’58, Ardmore, Pa., an architect who had maintained a practice since 1970; May 18.

Carole Arch Kramer CW’58, Clifton, N.J., owner and operator of Pretty Papers, a stationery store, for over 30 years; April 26. At Penn she was president of her sorority, Delta Phi Epsilon; later she was president of her class.

Dr. Arthur M. Panzer D’58, Milford, N.J., Oct. 1, 2006.

Dr. Herbert H. Swanson GD’58, Waterford, Mich., Dec. 24, 2005.


back to top

1959

Ramon H. Aires GEE’59, Granada Hills, Calif., March 5.

Dr. Lloyd David Hall M’59, Columbus, Ohio, June 3, 2006.

Francis S. Ingraham WG’59, Ridgefield, Conn., a business manager with Olin Corp. in Stamford, Conn., for 21 years, until his retirement in 1991; July 9, 2004.

Warren R. Thompson GME’59, Jenkintown, Pa., March 9.


back to top

1960

Howard T. Lambert W’60, Brick, N.J., a securities broker with Merrill Lynch in New York for 35 years, until his retirement in 1994; March 9.


back to top

1961

Harry C. J. Blair Jr. EE’61, Bangor, Pa., Jan. 3, 2006.

Gertrude Z. Halprin SW’61, Newark, Del., Sept. 10, 2006.


back to top

1962

Stephen T. Heymann W’62, Los Altos, Calif., July 31, 2006.


back to top

1963

Joseph J. Daniero W’63, Cherry Hill, N.J., May. He worked for over 30 years at Delaware Investments in Philadelphia.

Ann Rotch Magendantz GEd’63, Lincoln, R.I., April 1. Her daughter is Elisa M. Barton C’98.

Dr. Robert C. Solomon C’63, Austin, Tex., the Quincy Lee Centennial Professor of Business and Philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin; Jan. 2. A scholar of Hegel, Nietzsche, and of the Existentialists, he was also known for his cognitivist theory of emotions. He was a gifted lecturer. He wrote over 40 books, including The Passions (1976), In the Spirit of Hegel (1983), From Hegel to Existentialism (1987), Continental Philosophy Since 1750 (1988), The Joy of Philosophy; (1999), Not Passion’s Slave: Emotions and Choice (2003), and Living with Nietzsche (2003).

Dr. Sherwood V. Cohen GM’63, Elkins Park, Pa., an ophthalmologist who had maintained a practice in Philadelphia from 1965 until his retirement in 1999; May 9. He served on the staffs of several area hospitals, including Graduate and Holy Redeemer. During the Vietnam War he served in U.S. Army hospitals, stateside. His wife is Judith Silver Cohen CW’60 G’62.


back to top

1964

Alan R. Hoffman C’64, Charlotte, N.C., Oct. 2, 2006.

Dr. Robert J. Rowland Jr. Gr’64, New Orleans, a professor of history and Classics at Loyola University; March 14. He specialized in the ancient Sardinia. The Italian Government awarded him a knighthood in 1994 in recognition of his scholarship.

Dr. John R. Scott M’64, Delmar, N.Y., Feb. 12.

Dr. J. Saville Zamet GD’64, London, May.


back to top

1965

Peter R. Cummins WG’65, Springfield, Pa., a financial consultant for several firms, including Smith Barney (where he worked for 29 years) and Janney Montgomery Scott; April 19.

James A. Freyer L’65, Boulder City, Nev., Jan. 5.


1966

Harry N. Fox WEv’66, Blue Bell, Pa., Nov. 26, 2006.

Charles A. Powell SW’66, Stuart, Fla., director of external affairs at the former Bell of Pennsylvania, where he had worked from 1968 until his retirement in 1989; May 30.

Dr. George Stuehler Jr. WG’66, Glenelg, Md., Feb. 2, 2006.


back to top

1967

Donald X. Baxter WEv’67, Philadelphia, May 18.

J. Robert Van Kirk L’67, Sewickley, Pa., Oct. 30, 2006.


back to top

1968

Gerard L. Kroese GEE’68, Newcastle, Wash., Jan. 26.


back to top

1969

Kathleen Pearce Braun SW’69, Erie, Colo., Sept. 2, 2005.


back to top

1970

Dr. John H. Davis GrE’70, Rumson, N.J., founding principal of the Technology Advisors Group, a high-tech investment advisory firm; Nov. 19, 2006. He had worked for Bell Laboratories and AT&T for 35 years, retiring as chief technology officer of AT&T Communication Services; he is credited with conceiving and managing the development of the electronic-switching system of public-telephone networks. In the early 1980s he led the installation and commercialization of the first cellular systems in the U.S. After retiring from AT&T, he was a principal at GeoPartners Research Inc., and chief technology officer and director of Allied Riser Communications Corp. Dr. Davis was an overseer of the School of Engineering and Applied Science. Dr. Eduardo D. Glandt GCh’75 Gr’77, dean of the School, observed that he was highly respected by his colleagues on the board for “his extraordinary intuition about the future of technology as well as for his intellectual integrity.” A laboratory at the School has been named after Dr. Davis. His daughter is Christina S. Davis C’93 G’93.

Jean Wolff Dole CW’70, Media, Pa., a psychotherapist; May 15. She also had taught at Widener and Hahnemann universities, and Delaware County Community College. During the 1970s she was a consultant for the Pennsylvania Department of Education and worked for the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission. She wrote a number of academic papers and public-service pamphlets, and the book, Attack the Problem (Not Each Other), which will be published posthumously. Her daughter is Miriam Dole C’80 L’85.


back to top

1971

Richard A. Barnett W’71, Hollywood, Fla., Nov. 27, 2006.


back to top

1972

Claudia Cohen CW’72, New York, a high-profile gossip reporter for television and newspapers; June 15. After serving on the staff of More, a progressive journalism review, she became a reporter for “Page Six” of The New York Post in 1977 and served as the column’s editor, 1978-80. During the 1980s she wrote a gossip column, “I Claudia,” for The New York Daily News. In recent years she was an entertainment reporter for The Morning Show on WABC-TV, and had appeared on the syndicated talk shows Live With Regis and Kelly and Live With Regis and Kathie Lee. She was a guest on Larry King Live and served as a judge in the Miss America Pageant. Her brother is James S. Cohen W’80, and her former husband is Ronald O. Perelman W’64 WG’66.


back to top

1973

Gregory Clement III C’73 GAr’75, Weston, Conn., a managing partner at Kohn Pedersen Fox Architects who helped design the Jon M. Huntsman Hall at the Wharton School; April 11. He joined KPF from I.M. Pei & Partners in 1984, becoming managing partner in 1993. He oversaw numerous projects, including the Rodin Museum and the New Songdo City master plan, both in in South Korea. As executive architect, he led the firm in the renovation and expansion of the Museum of Modern Art in New York, working in tandem with Yoshio Taniguchi. A KPF partner collaborating on Huntsman Hall, observed, “When the fundamental issues came up that required a personal touch, he was probably more skilled in that regard than anyone else in the office.” His wife is Elizabeth T. Clement GEd’74 WG’82.

Joan D. Fitzgerald Nu’73, Moorestown, N.J., Nov. 19, 2006.


back to top

1974

Kenneth L. Sokoloff C’74, Beverly Hills, Calif., a professor of economics at the University of California, Los Angeles; May 21. A member of the UCLA faculty since 1980, he founded its economic-history group and Von Gremp Workshop. An expert on the role of the U.S. patent system in technological and productivity advances in the 19th century, in recent years he studied the comparative economic histories of Latin American countries and the U.S. His father is Dr. Louis Sokoloff C’43 GM’50 Hon’97.


back to top

 1977

Shahpassand M. Sheybani W’77 G’79, Rockville, Md., May 23, 2006. Her husband is Robert S. Berry L’75 G’86.


back to top

 1979

Edith Dolin WEv’79, Arlington, Va., July 2, 2006.

Dr. Floyd I. Frank WG’79, Levittown, Pa., a chemist and president of ISIS Corp., a manufacturer of pollution-monitoring instruments; April 15. Earlier he had worked for Rohm and Haas in Philadelphia for 15 years, and then for the product-development division of Star Dental.


back to top

1981

Joshua A. Newberg C’81 G’82 L’89, College Park, Md., associate professor at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland, College Park; March 26. At Penn he was an associate editor of the law review. He specialized in business ethics and antitrust matters. He was a board member at DC College Bound, which provides opportunities for Washington youth to attend college. His brother is Liam I. Newberg WG’94 and his sister is Noga M. Newberg C’02, who is married to Andrew W. Zitcer C’00 GCP’04. His stepmother is Dr. Adina Braunstein Newberg Gr’93.


back to top

1984

Jeffrey D. Adcock C’84, University Place, Wash., an accompanist for a Seattle ballet company; May 31. He had also worked as a sushi chef and as a big-rig truck driver.

Dr. Kuo-Shu Edward Chang C’84 ChE’84, New Market, Md., Jan. 1.


back to top

1985

Dr. Rona V. Tritsch C’85, Lititz, Pa., Dec. 7, 2006.


back to top

1988

Dr. Judy L. House Persley WG’88 Gr’95, Center Valley, Pa., a pediatric nurse-practitioner; April 11. She provided primary health care to ventilator-dependent children. She was an assistant professor of clinical instruction at Cedar Crest College, and began a graduate nurse-practitioner program at SUNY Upstate Medical Center.


back to top

1992

Amanda J. Collins GEd’92, Prospect Park, Pa., March 31.

Joan C. Carey GEd’93, Haverford, Pa., a writer for the University’s Development Office for 13 years; April 13.


back to top

2003

Adam R. Spector C’03 W’03, Gladwyne, Pa., April 11.


back to top

Faculty and Staff

Joan C. Carey. See Class of 1993.

Alvin H. Carley, Charlotte, N.C., retired professor of accounting at the Wharton School, where he taught from 1989 to 2001; June 14. He had also taught at Tsinghua University in Beijing and had been a visiting professor in accounting at Chulalongkorn University in Thailand. In 2001 he won Wharton’s Miller-Sherrerd MBA Core Teaching Award. Earlier he had been a partner at Coopers & Lybrand, 1969-88.

Trudy King Decker. See Class of 1950.

Dr. Sylvan H. Eisman. See Class of 1937.

Dr. Ervin Miller. See Class of 1941.

Martin Meyerson Hon’70

When President Emeritus Martin Meyerson Hon’70 died this past June, the news prompted an exhalation of sadness from the University and its extended community. The gentle visionary who presided over a decade of important change and growth left a lasting imprint on its physical campus and its intellectual life. He also touched thousands with his insights, warmth, and humility.

“As much as we admire Martin’s brilliance in urban planning, as much as we view ourselves as the beneficiaries of his wise leadership through some very tough times in higher education, and as much as we applaud his genius in charting a bold direction for the University of Pennsylvania, we also remember him as a beloved colleague, mentor, and friend who gave so much of himself, not only to our institution but also to each of us as individuals,” said President Amy Gutmann during a memorial service last month at the Penn Museum.

As Penn’s fifth president, and the first city planner to serve as president of a research university—not to mention the first Jewish president of an Ivy League university—Meyerson was committed to an integrated vision of “One University,” in which all of Penn’s schools would collaborate to produce leading-edge teaching and research. He saw much of his vision become reality, though even before he took office in 1970, he knew he had his work cut out for him.

“I can hear Martin at the first interview he had with our committee in 1969, saying with shocking candor that while he thought that Penn had the potential of being a top-ranked institution, we had a long way to go,” recalled Paul F. Miller Jr. W’50 Hon’81, former chair of Penn’s trustees. “He saw a university that was in need of a strong intellectual prodding. He discerned that we suffered from academic complacency, provincialism, and a lack of spirited ambition. And he told us so, that the path to distinction would not be easy.”

Making that path even harder was the fact that Penn was burdoned with “severe financial deficits” when Meyerson moved into College Hall in 1970, Miller noted. Establishing the academic priorities needed for long-term success meant short-term pain. The School of Allied Medical Professions was closed and ice hockey was dropped, among other shakeups, but “despite the loud outcries and the huge pressures,” Miller recalled, “he stood his ground.”

In 1974—after suggesting that the University could be compared with a doughnut, with strong graduate and professional schools circling a “hole” that needed filling—Meyerson oversaw the creation of the Faculty (later School) of Arts and Sciences. “And with excellent appointments, such as that of Vartan Gregorian [Hon’88], to help lead this new thrust,” recalled Donald Stewart, Meyerson’s African-American executive assistant, “Penn ceased to be a doughnut, and started becoming the wonderful blintz” that we know today.

“His character was marked by a fascinating combination of idealist and practicalist,” added Gregorian, an Iranian-born Armenian who gratefully acknowledged Meyerson’s inclusive “audacity” in appointing him as founding dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and later provost. “The highest standards and excellence were his mantras, because he believed that democracy and excellence are not mutually exclusive.”

Meyerson presided over many innovations and transformations at Penn, including the creation of what would become the College House system, the freshman-seminar program, the boards of overseers, the University’s first affirmative-action program for women and minorities in 1972, a significant fundraising campaign, the “Program for the Eighties” (launched in 1975), and the creation of Blanche P. Levy Park. In 1981 the University created an endowed chair in urbanism to honor Meyerson and his wife, Margy Ellin Meyerson G’93. Meyerson Hall was named in his honor in 1983.

After leaving the presidency in 1981, Meyerson remained active at Penn, holding the position of University Professor of Public Policy Analysis and City and Regional Planning and chairing the University of Pennsylvania Foundation, the University of Pennsylvania Press (1984 to 1997), the Institute for Research on Higher Education, and the Monell Chemical Senses Center. The Meyersons served as co-presidents of the Friends of the Library and on the Library’s board of overseers. In 1981, Martin established an office in the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center. “For the next 26 years, he was a constant presence at the libraries, known to generations of staff and student workers for his warmth, generosity, and knowledge of all manner of subjects,” said H. Carton Rogers III, vice provost and director of libraries.

As an expert on national, regional, urban, and industrial development, Meyerson was a United Nations adviser and delegate; he was also a consultant to several West African nations and to the governor of the Tokyo Metropolitan Area. He founded London’s Centre for Environmental Studies and Japan’s International Centre for the Study of East Asian Development.

“Martin was a great American,” said Gregorian. “He was also an avid internationalist. He was one of the most genuinely curious people I’ve ever met. Everything interested him—education, history, politics, architecture, art, philosophy.”

He wrote several influential books—including Politics, Planning, and Public Interest; Housing, People, and Cities; Face of the Metropolis; and, with Dr. Dilys Winegrad Gr’75, Gladly Learn and Gladly Teach: Franklin and His Heirs at the University of Pennsylvania, 1740-1976—and received more than 20 honorary degrees.

“Martin Meyerson never sought stardom or went in for fanfare,” said Gutmann, “which makes it all the more remarkable that the man we knew and loved was not merely a star but a supernova, a world-renowned urban planner, an eminent public intellectual, and a courageous academic leader of enormous breadth of learning, scope of understanding, and depth of living.”—S.H.


Profiles : Events : Notes : Obituaries



Nov|Dec 07 Contents
Gazette Home
Previous issue’s section

NOTIFICATIONS
Please send notifications of deaths of alumni directly to: Alumni Records, University of Pennsylvania3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
<record@ben.dev.upenn.edu>
Newspaper obits are appreciated.

©2007 The Pennsylvania Gazette
Last modified 11/09/07