Nov|Dec 08 Contents Gazette Home

 

1930 | Dr. Harvey Bartle Jr. C’30 M’33 GM’37, Bryn Mawr, Pa., a neurologist and psychiatrist who maintained a practice in West Philadelphia and later in Bryn Mawr, until his retirement in 1996; June 4. He was a former vice president of the staff at Bryn Mawr Hospital and a former president of Roxborough Hospital. He often testified as a forensic psychiatrist. His family includes Hon. H. Bartle III L’65 and Rev. John Dixon Bartle W’67.
Dr. Jean E. Francis G’30 GrEd’51, Wayne, Pa., May 24.
 
1931 | David Solomon W’31, Birmingham, Ala., co-owner and operator of the Solomon Company, a manufacturer of men’s and boys’ trousers, from 1946 until 1998; March 11. At Penn he was managing editor of The Record and served on the editorial board of The Punchbowl. He was captain of the fencing team in his senior year. During World War II he served as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy, where he commanded an escort and rescue ship in the Pacific.
 
1932 | Ralph A. Emling W’32, Claremore, Okla., a retired buyer of men’s clothing for a department store in Scarsdale, N.Y.; June 13.
 
1933 | Elizabeth Bundy Wade Ed’33, Austin, Tex., July 7.
 
1934 | Frederick M. English C’34, Skillman, N.J., deputy New Jersey attorney general (1972-1980); June 21. He wrote General Hugh Mercer: Forgotten Hero of the American Revolution (1975). During World War II he served in the U.S. Army, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel.
Irving I. Pinkel C’34, San Diego, Calif., a scientist who served for nearly three decades at NASA Glenn; March 13. Known for his work in safety for space flight and aircraft operations, he was appointed to the accident-investigation team for the Apollo launch-pad fire and the Apollo 13 onboard explosion.
 
1935 | Col. Paul L. DeHaas Ed’35, New Egypt, N.J., comptroller of the First U.S. Army at Governors Island, N.Y., until his retirement in 1964; April 29. He was also past state director of highway safety for New Jersey. He had served in the U.S. Army during World War II, and the Korean and Vietnam wars.
 
1936 | John Bishop VI L’36, Gladwyne, Pa., June 27.
 
1937 | John P. Kichline W’37 L’40, Vero Beach, Fla., May 18. He had retired from Germantown Savings Bank in Philadelphia, Pa. During World War II he served as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps and was awarded a Bronze Star.
Bayard H. Roberts L’37, Bryn Mawr, Pa., an executive with the Pennsylvania Railroad when it merged in 1968 with the New York Central to form Penn Central Transportation Co.; June 8. During World War II he was an air-combat intelligence officer in the U.S. Navy.
Dr. Morton E. Schwab C’37 GM’61, Haverford, Pa., a psychiatrist in Philadelphia for more than 50 years and a longtime assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at the University; June 30. He opened his practice in 1950 and became a pioneer in the use of psychoanalytic group therapy. He was also director of the Philadelphia Psychoanalytic Clinic. His service in the U.S. Army Medical Corps during World War II led to his interest in psychiatry, when he treated soldiers suffering from what was then called “battle fatigue.”
 
1938 | David E. Nierenberg C’38, Saratoga, Calif., a retired attorney who had practiced for over 45 years with the law firm of Bondy & Schloss, in New York and Chappaqua, N.Y.; June 17. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific theater.
 
1939 | Leonard Birnbaum W’39, New York, a pioneer in the wine and spirits industry; June 21. An active alumnus, he was looking forward to his 70th reunion next year. During World War II he was a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy, serving in the Pacific. One of his sons is Richard Birnbaum W’70, whose son is Tim Birnbaum C’03. His daughter is Jane Birnbaum CW’73. His brother is Jack S. Birnbaum W’36.
Charles W. Diven Jr. W’39, Oakmont, Pa., the reputed originator of the jump shot in indoor men’s basketball; June 14. While attending Penn on a Senatorial Scholarship, he received the Spoon Award, the top senior-class honor. He was president of his class and a member of Sigma Phi fraternity. He was captain of the varsity men’s baseball team his junior and senior years, played varsity men’s basketball his junior and senior years, and was featherweight boxing champion his freshman year. In the fall of 1938, when he was a senior starter on the varsity basketball team, The Daily Pennsylvanian reported, “The Chucker [has] discovered a new shot for his repertoire, a leaping, two-handed, overhead try from the vicinity of the foul line.” The March 1995 issue of Sports Illustrated contained a piece on the invention of the jump shot, “Chucking the J,” which led to more extensive articles by New York’s Daily News and The Daily Pennsylvanian. After college, he had a 38-year career with Sharon Steel Corp., retiring as general sales manager in 1977. In 2000 he was honored for his basketball achievement, along with former Penn coach Chuck Daly, at the rededication of the Palestra. During World War II he was a technical sergeant in the U.S. Army’s 159th Combat Engineer Battalion, serving in the European Theater, for which he received five battle stars, including one for the Battle of the Bulge.
Joseph J. Grillo C’39, Gloucester, Mass., former mayor of Gloucester; May 7. Elected in 1952, he was the youngest and the first Italian-American mayor. He was also an English teacher and guidance counselor at Gloucester High School, 1967-1978. While serving in the U.S. Army in Italy and England during World War II, he participated in the liberation of Rome and received two battle stars.
Geneva B. Hall G’39, Cherry Hill, N.J., an English teacher at Anacostia High School in Washington, for 13 years, until her retirement in 1977; June 9.
Hon. Sidney P. Lee ChE’39, St. Croix, V.I., a four-term senator in the Virgin Islands legislature, where he served as vice president and chair of the finance committee; June 20. Earlier he had been president of the crime laboratory for Dallas, Tex.
Dr. John W. Spranklin Jr. V’39, Fairplay, Md., a retired veterinarian who had owned and operated a practice in Baltimore; May 24. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army.
 
1940 | Elizabeth E. Aretz CW’40, New Hope, Pa., a former librarian at Temple University; Feb. 25.
Robert E. Heisserman ME’40, Pittsboro, N.C., May 20. He had worked for McGraw-Hill Inc., until his retirement in 1985.
 
1941 | James L. Carothers W’41, Hershey, Pa., a retired captain for Eastern Airlines; March 8. During World War II he was a flight instructor in the U.S. Army.
Hermione Garten Davis PSW’41, Holland, Mass., June.
Dr. Sanford M. Lewis C’41, South Orange, N.J., a retired physician and former chair of the New Jersey Board of Medical Examiners; June 16.
Helen F. Jarrett Linwood Ed’41, Chambersburg, Pa., an administrative assistant to the dean of the Penn School of Veterinary Medicine for 38 years; May 22.
Charles McIntyre W’41, Newport, R.I., a former U.S. Navy commander, who retired in 1978; June 10. During World War II he participated in 28 crossings of the North Atlantic on convoy duty.
 
1942 | Dr. Richard A. Brunner M’42 GM’49, Narberth, Pa., a retired psychiatrist, who was a psychiatry instructor at the University, 1950-58; June 7. He was a member of Beta Theta Phi fraternity. He was a former clinical director of the Camden County Psychiatric Hospital in New Jersey.
Warren A. Croll Jr. C’42, Hollywood, Fla., an award-winning horse trainer; June 6. He won the Belmont Stakes, with Bet Twice, in 1987. He was inducted into the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 1994.
Leonard H. Howard W’42, North Truro, Mass., retired owner and operator of Technical Supply Co. in West Orange, N.J.; June 18. In World War II he worked for the U.S. Air Force.
Abner J. Kaplan PSW’42, Baltimore, director of children’s services for the state’s social-services department, until his retirement in 1971; May 23.
Dr. Milton Sandler C’42 D’43, Elkins Park, Pa., May 31.
G. Frederick Stork Mu’42 G’50, Gaithersburg, Md., a retired musician, composer, and photographer; June 10. His father was the poet Charles Wharton Stork, who had taught in the English department at Penn. Fred composed for the piano, including marches, hymns, ballads, and songs; he played piano, guitar, and banjo in several bands, including the New Sunshine Jazz Band. His photographs were published. During World War II he was a sergeant in the weather division of the U.S. Army Air Force, working at the D-Day assault. His wife was the late Mary Ernestine Weber Stork Mu’41 and one of his son-in-laws is Dr. Neal Snyderman C’70.
 
1943 | Joan R. Greenwood Ed’43, Pacific Palisades, a special-education teacher and active volunteer in children’s educational needs; April 21.
Reba Haimowitz CW’43 PSW’46, Philadelphia, June 10.
Zev Hoffman C’43, Haddon Heights, N.J., June 8.
Dr. John D. McCullough V’43, Jacksonville, Fla., a veterinarian who had maintained a large-animal practice in Corsica, Pa.; July 1. He established one of the first bull barns in the country. He was a veterinarian and colonel in the U.S. Air Force from 1951 to 1971, where he practiced veterinary nuclear medicine.
Edmund E. Pendleton W’43, McLean, Va., an international attorney who practiced in Washington four decades and a former chair of the District of Columbia Republican Committee; May 20. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps.
 
1944 | Dr. Frederick G. Kempin practiced Jr. L’44, Media, Pa., emeritus professor of legal studies at the Wharton School; June 14. While a student at Penn he was editor of the Law Review. He began teaching as a part-time instructor in Wharton’s business-law department in 1945. He became a full-time teacher in 1949 and served several terms as department chair (1962-64, 1973-78, and 1984-87). He co-wrote two texts widely used by Penn undergraduate and graduate students: Introduction to Law and the Legal Process and Legal Aspects of the Management Process. He wrote Introduction to Anglo-American Law in a Nutshell and a monograph of the old American Business Law Association. As vice dean of the Wharton undergraduate division (1964-1972), he worked to implement curricular reforms. Devoted to teaching, especially undergraduates, he was a staunch supporter of the evening division. A winner of the Lindback Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1963, “he left behind a legion of students who remember and revere his teaching, his philosophy, his humor, and his humanity,” said Dr. Arnold J. Rosoff W’65, professor of legal studies and business ethics. A frequent contributor to the American Journal of Legal History, Dr. Kempin was its assistant then associate editor, from 1968 to 1982. He was also editor-in- chief of the American Business Law Journal.

1945 |
Dr. Raymond D. Alexander D’45, South River, N.J., a dentist who maintained a practice for 45 years, until his retirement in 1994; July 18. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.
Dr. Robert C. Laning C’45, McLean, Va., a retired rear admiral and director of surgery for the U.S. Veterans Administration; April 28. Throughout his naval career he served aboard numerous ships, eventually becoming commanding officer at the naval hospital in Yokosuka, Japan. He was Pacific Fleet medical officer and Pacific command surgeon in the early 1970s, and supervised the medical placements of South Vietnamese evacuees. Following retirement from the Navy in 1977, he took on the VA post, which he held for 10 years. His awards include a Legion of Merit.
Dr. Myron Morris C’45, Tucson, Ariz., a retired pediatrician and specialist in pediatric allergy; June 23.
 
1946 | Dr. William A. Hadfield Jr. M’46 GM’50, Drexel Hill, Pa., June 16.
 
1947 | Denis M. Crowley W’47, Paxton, Mass., a retired executive of Polar Corp.; June 9. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.
Herant M. Saraydar WG’47, Stamford, Conn., a computer programmer, systems analyst, and management engineer until he retired in 1982; June 29. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army in North Africa and Europe.
Joseph J. Walsh Sr. W’47, Wayne, Pa., June 13.
William L. West W’47 L’51, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., a real estate, trusts, and estate attorney who maintained a practice in Philadelphia and then in Jenkintown for 51 years; June 18.
 
1948 | Bert E. Dares Jr. Ed’48 GEd’49, Hatboro, Pa., retired principal at Roslyn Elementary School; June 11. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps.
Harry M. Ellsworth Jr. C’48, St. Paul, Minn., a retired advertising executive; May 30. During World War II he served with the U.S. Army’s 104th Infantry Division Timber Wolves in Europe, and was awarded a Bronze Star.
Robert J. Preis W’48, Greenwich, Conn., senior vice president and chief financial officer of Ted Bates & Co., until his retirement in 1985, after 29 years of service; May 6. During World War II he served as a pilot in the U.S. Navy.
Dr. Hubert L. Rosomoff C’48, Miami Beach, Fla., the first chair of neurological surgery and medical director of the pain and rehabilitation center at the University of Miami; June 5. He was an emeritus professor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York. He had been a surgeon and research physiologist in the U.S. Navy.
Robert H. Sugarman GEE’48, Lafayette Hill, Pa., a retired electronics engineer; July 21. He witnessed early testing of the atomic bomb in the Nevada Desert and developed radar-jamming technologies during the Cold War. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.
 
1949 | Catherine M. Hahn Bovio NEd’49, Philadelphia, June 12.
Aaron A. Burchuk W’49, Jenkintown, Pa., June 29.
Charles E. Feeny C’49, Havertown, Pa., a patent attorney for the DuPont Corp. from 1976 until his retirement in 2000; June 29. At Penn he was a member of the Glee Club. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.
Francis X. Flannery C’49, Philadelphia, June 15.
Robert J. McConnell Jr. W’49, Linwood, Mass., a retired longtime partner at Singer & Lusardi Accounting; June 2. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.
J. Louis Sturgis WEv’49, Rehoboth Beach, Del., retired vice president of Koppers International; May 31.
Bertha M. Underwood GEd’49, Montgomery, Ala., a retired history professor at Alabama State University, where she had taught for 40 years; July 17.
Robert J. Virkler Mu’49, Jenkintown, Pa., a retired teacher and librarian at Indian Valley Junior High School; July 1. He was also the retired, long-serving organist for St. Paul’s Reformed Episcopal Church in Oreland. He served in the U.S. Army in the Korean War.
 
1950 | Willard D. Andrews W’50, Austin, Tex., the retired corporate vice president of Becton Dickson and Co., where he had worked for 40 years; May 27.
Dr. Dwight R. Ashbey GM’50, Lancaster, Pa., a physician who practiced pediatrics and child psychology at Pennsylvania Hospital; June 8.
Robert S. Lebair L’50, Gwynedd, Pa., June 20.
Dr. Irving J. Olshin C’50 M’54, Philadelphia, a retired professor of pediatrics at Thomas Jefferson University, where he taught from 1961 to 1987; March 28. He received its Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1969. His portrait has hung at Jefferson since 1972. Dr. John R. Cohn C’72, a former student and now a professor at Jefferson, called him “a model, a gentle teacher and physician. His excitement about being a doctor was infectious.” In retirement he took classes at Penn and taught English at International House. He had served in the U.S. Army, 1945-46.
 
1951 | George L. Compton W’51, Philadelphia, a retired vice president of the old Strawbridge & Clothier, the department-store chain, where he had worked for 40 years; July 25. Beginning as a buyer in the furniture department, he was by 1969 a vice president.
Joseph C. Dougherty W’51, Drexel Hill, Pa., June 19.
William T. McDonough C’51, Westbrook, Conn., an employee of General Electric for many years; July 16. At Penn he played freshman football. A World War II veteran who served in the U.S. Marine Corps, he had been a police officer in Bridgeport in the 1950s.
Henry Newman W’51, Lexington, Ky., a corporate accountant and comptroller; July 5.
Dr. Rudolph J. Vecoli G’51, St. Paul, Minn., retired professor of history at the University of Minnesota and longtime director of its immigration-history research center; June 17. He wrote The People of New Jersey (1965) and “A Century of American Immigration, 1884-1984.” From 1983 to 2003 he chaired the history committee that advised the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation.
Herman E. Vonderheid Jr. GEd’51, Doylestown, Pa., a science teacher at North Penn High School until his retirement in 1979; June 10.

1952 | Dr. James M. Newman V’52, Asheville, N.C., a veterinarian who had maintained a private practice in Wytheville, Va., for 22 years; May 22. Thereafter, he worked as a field veterinarian for the state of North Carolina.
Glenn H. Waight G’52, East Liverpool, Ohio, a former associate editor of the East Liverpool Review; July 7. He joined as a reporter in 1952.
 
1953 | Dr. Martin G. Binder M’53, West Chester, Pa., June 23.
Stanford E. Hoffman W’53, Wynnewood, Pa., June 17.
Dr. Charles L. Johnston Jr. M’53 GM’57, Richmond, emeritus professor of pathology at Virginia Commonwealth University, where he had taught since 1965; June 10. He specialized in hemapathology. His wife is Marjorie Hohenstein Johnston NTS’49.
Dr. John D. van Laer Gr’53, Scranton, Pa., June 22. He taught psychological statistics at Hunter College in New York, until his retirement in 1982.
Walter E. Yeager WG’53, Southampton, Pa., June 22. He was retired from the Philadelphia Gas Co., where he had worked for many years.
 
1954 | Dr. Melvin Blecher Gr’54, Washington, emeritus professor of biochemistry and molecular biology at Georgetown University, where he taught from 1961 until the late 1980s; June 18. Later, after earning a law degree from Georgetown at age 63, he worked for the firm of Foley & Lardner and then, from 1998, maintained a solo practice in intellectual property until three weeks before his death.
Dr. Ralph A. Carabasi GM’54, Palm Beach, Fla., a former member of the oncology faculty and medical staff at Thomas Jefferson University; June 6.
Dr. Kenneth W. Carrington, M’54, Salem, S.C., a retired neurological surgeon who had maintained a practice in Augusta, Ga.; July 11.
John E. Sheetz Jr. GEd’54, Reading, Pa., a retired science teacher at Reading High School; July 2.
 
1955 | Dr. Stephen A. Tietje C’55, Wells, Maine, a dentist who maintained a practice in Florham Park, N.J., from 1968 until his retirement in 1987; July 9. At Penn he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. He taught periodically at Farleigh Dickinson University, his dental alma mater.
 
1956 | A. Richard Gerber W’56, Ambler, Pa., an attorney with the law office of Gerber & Gerber; June 25.
John C. Kendall W’56, Media, Pa., June 3.
Dr. Bruce Schmucker C’56 V’59, Berwyn, Pa., a veterinarian who operated the Great Valley Veterinary Hospital in Frazer from 1962 until 1992; May 31. At Penn he was a member of the men’s soccer team and of Delta Tau Delta fraternity. In 1980 he began specializing in equine medicine. From 1992 until his retirement in 2006 he worked in animal health for the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. His wife is Charlotte Perkins Schumcker OT’60.
 
1957 | Charles L. Kirby Jr. WEv’57, Rockville, Md., Sept. 27. He worked for the DuPont Co. for more than 40 years. He served in the U.S. Army and Army Reserve, 1941-1976.
Dr. H. Leslie Levine GD’57, Beverly Hills, Calif., a renowned periodontal surgeon who treated many Hollywood celebrities and several foreign heads of state; May 23. Known as a “doctor to the stars,” he had been a clinical professor at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles. He received the Alumni Award of Merit from Penn’s School of Dental Medicine in 2006.
Byron R. Prusky W’57, Narberth, Pa., an attorney who co-founded the Philadelphia law firm of Bluestein, Prusky & Susman in 1965, and founded Prusky Law Associates in 1980; May 23.
Rev. John H. P. Reumann Gr’57, Lafayette Hill, Pa., emeritus professor at the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, where he taught from 1950 until 1996; June 6. He was a former editor of The Journal of Biblical Literature.
Eugene T. Wugofski C’57, Annapolis, Md., retired president of Pacific Sierra Research Corp., Inc.; July. He served in both the Korean and the Vietnam Wars. A recipient of the Bronze Star, Joint Service Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, and the Meritorious Service Award, he retired from the military in 1982.
 
1958 | John S. Rees W’58, New York, June 25. He worked in financial sales before retiring. He had served as a pilot in the U.S. Air Force for five years.
Anne Krouse Topham Nu’58 CGS’79, Philadelphia, a surgical nurse at Nazareth Hospital during the 1960s; May 23. She was a volunteer English teacher for foreign students living at Penn’s International House during the 1970s.
 
1959 | Dr. William H. Phillips D’59, Wayne, Pa., a dentist in Havertown for 37 years, until his retirement in 1996; July 22.
 
1960 | Dr. Bruce G. Gilfillan C’60, Ft. Worth, Tex., a professor of pediatrics at the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine from 1976 until his retirement in 2007; June 8.
Judith A. Strong Kinney FA’60, Lynchburg, Va., June 22. At Penn she was a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma fraternity: she was house chair and vice president. President of the Panhellenic Council, she was a member of the student advisory board.
 
1961 | Dr. Bruce R. Cowen M’61, Edison, N.J., a general practitioner who maintained a practice for 36 years, until his retirement in 2000; Dec. 8, 2007. He was a staff member of Perth Amboy General Hospital and the John F. Kennedy Medical Center, and a school physician for Metuchen public schools.
Dr. Claire Morrison GM’61, Columbus, Ohio, June 20.
Dr. Peter Teodor GM’61, Las Vegas, a retired physician and specialist in internal medicine; Nov. 10, 2007. After maintaining a private practice in Tampa, Fla., he joined the U.S. Air Force and worked as an emergency-room doctor; he retired with the rank of lieutenant colonel at the age of 60.
 
1962 | Thomas J. Brach WEv’62 CGS’65, Norristown, Pa., a retired registered representative at Vanguard Mutual Fund Investment Co.; June 7. He had served in the U.S. Army, working in encryption at the Pentagon.
Dr. Frederick R. Longo Gr’62, Oreland, Pa., emeritus professor of chemistry and a founder of the chemistry department at Drexel University; March 12. He joined the Drexel faculty as an instructor in 1957; he received a Lindback Award in the 1980s and retired in 1989.
Dr. August A. Sardiñas Gr’62, Berwyn, Pa., June 17.
 
1963 | Dr. David B. Arnold C’63, Media, Pa., an associate professor of chemistry at the old Pennsylvania Military College, where he had taught  for over 39 years; June 9.
Dr. Clayton E. Kimble V’63, New York, a veterinarian who had recently retired from Abingdon Square Veterinary Clinic, which he founded in Greenwich Village in 1968; June 20.
David L. McGahey ASC’63, Healdsburg, Calif., vice president of broadcasting for the Golden State Warriors men’s basketball team, until his retirement in 1997; March 19, 2002. An innovator in broadcast-sports media, he had held sales-management positions at San Francisco radio stations.
Malcolm H. Ringel W’63, St. Michaels, Md., a retired attorney who had served as chief arbitrator for the consumer-protection division in the Maryland Attorney General’s office; June 10, 2006. At Penn he was a member of Phi Epsilon Pi fraternity. “His time at Penn meant a lot to him, and he spoke often of those years,” recalled his brother, Harry B. Ringel C’69 GEd’72.
Rose B. Rosenbaum Ed’63 GEd’67, Gladwyne, Pa., an elementary school teacher and reading specialist at the Lamberton School; June 27.
William A. Sheveland GAr’63 GCP’63 GFA’63, Farmers Branch, Tex., a developer and urban planner; May 30.
 
1964 | Dr. Myron W. Frederic GM’64, Philadelphia, former clinical associate professor and chief of neurology at the Penn Presbyterian Medical Center; June 14.
 
1965 | George V. Smith ASC’65, Savannah, Ga., a journalist and editor who had worked for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and The Jacksonville Journal (Florida); June 17. He had also taught at Georgia State University in Atlanta.
 
1966 | Judith E. Rudder Davis CW’66, Cold Spring, N.Y., June 21.
Michael J. Grant WEv’66, Rydal, Pa., June 23.
George E. Haines Jr. W’66, Gladwyne, Pa., a mathematics teacher and coach at the Haverford School from 1976 until his retirement in 1989; July 16. An accomplished amateur golfer, he won several titles and qualified for the U.S. Open; a golf historian, he wrote USGA Championships Held at Merion.

1967 | William J. Byrd III WEv’67, Bellmawr, N.J., a partner in the investment firm of Capital Conservation in Cherry Hill; June 14.
Dr. Gerald J. Dolan C’67, Philadelphia, retired professor of physics at the University; June 17. He worked at SUNY, Stony Brook; AT&T Bell Laboratories; and IBM before returning to Penn in 1989 as the Trustee Professor of Physics; he retired in 1996. In 2000 he was awarded the American Physical Society’s Oliver E. Buckley Condensed Matter Prize for his pioneering contributions to single-electron effects in mesoscopic systems. One brother is Michael C. Dolan C’71 one of his sons is Andrew Dolan C’09.
Daniel D. Goodman WEv’67 WEv’68, North Eastham, Mass., vice president of the Wilmington Economic Development Corporation in Delaware, until his retirement in 2006; June 22.
 
1969 | Rev. Frederic F. Guyott III C’69, Wilmington, Del., an Episcopal priest, who served as acting chaplain of the University from Sept. 1995 to Aug. 1996; June 13. He also did outreach work to the Drexel campus. Before becoming a priest, he worked in the securities industry until 1990.
 
1970 | Dr. Mark A. Mintzer D’70, New York, a dentist in Manhattan who had maintained a practice for nearly 40 years; July 22. He joined the practice of his father, and continued it. At the time of his death, he was 2008 chair of the New York State Board for Dentistry.
Alan D. Plotkin L’70, New York, an attorney who specialized in real-estate law; June 18.
 
1972 | Dr. Diane Purdy Lichstein Gr’72, Viola, Wis., June 11.

1974 | Mary Zitomer Styles CW’74, Philadelphia, June 23.
 
1979 | Dr. Robert M. Scarborough Gr’79, Half Moon Bay, Calif., co-founder of Portola Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; June 25, 2006. He was the lead scientist in the development of the heart drugs Natrecor and Integrilin.
 
1980 | Dr. Keith N. Johnson Gr’80, New York, a retired teacher of economics at Columbia and New York universities; May 11.
Dr. Ronald L. Magolda Gr’80, Wallingford, Pa., June 1.
 
1981 | Dr. Mari P. Bhat G’81 Gr’87, Mumbai, India, director and senior professor at the International Institute for Population Sciences there; July 30, 2007. Previously he had been a professor at the Institute for Economic Growth in Delhi.
 
1983 | Dr. Andrew W. Vincent G’83 Gr’88, Sydney, Australia, director of the Center for Middle East and North African Studies at Macquarie there; April 5.
 
1984 | Richard A. Sandman C’84 L’02, New York, an immigration attorney who had worked for El Centro Hispanoamericano before opening his own immigration-law practice in 2005; April 30. At Penn he was a member of the men’s varsity basketball team. He had worked in public interest for many years, including stints at the American Friends Service Committee in Chicago and, in New York, the Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services and the Greenwich House AIDS mental health program.
 
1986 | Erika C. H. Meng C’86, Wayland, Mass., a scientist with the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center in Mexico City; June 1.
 
1987 | Marilynne Louise Blakely GEd’87, Radnor, Pa., June 3.
Dr. Patricia D. Johnston Gr’87 GEd’01, Fairless Hills, Pa., assistant superintendent for curriculum for the Pennsbury School District since 2003; July 11.
 
1988 | June Marie Barrett Belt Nu’88 GNu’89, Hoyt, Kan., a nurse practitioner who most recently served as associate director of the Cray Diabetes Center at the University of Kansas; June 18.
 
1990 | Dr. Lindon W. Barrett Gr’90, Long Beach, Calif., professor of English at the University of California, Riverside; July 12. Before joining that faculty in 2007, he had taught at the University of California, Irvine. He was a founding faculty member of the African-studies program there in 1994 and served as its director, 2004-07. He wrote Blackness and Value: Seeing Double (1998); he was completing a second book, “Racial Blackness and the Discontinuity of Western Modernity,” at the time of his death.
 
2004 | Patrick K. Lammie C’04, Bethlehem, Pa., an environmental consultant at the O’Brien & Gere engineering company; March 16. At Penn he was an active member of the Philomathean Literary and Debate Society and he was a Benjamin Franklin Scholar. A geology-scholarship fund has been established at Penn in his memory. His brother-in-law is Christopher Glenn C’04.
Dr. Anca Romantan Gr’04 CGS’06, Northampton, Mass., an assistant professor of communications at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, which she had joined in 2006; April 14. She had been research director for the Center for Excellence in Cancer Communication Research at Penn’s Annenberg Center.
 
2007 | Mark L. Becker C’07, Fayetteville, N.Y., July 7. At Penn he was a member of the men’s lacrosse team.
 
Faculty and Staff
Dr. Richard A. Brunner.
See Class of 1942.
Dr. Gerald J. Dolan. See Class of 1967.
Dr. Thomas W. Dunfee, Cherry Hill, N.J., the Joseph Kolodny Professor of Social Responsibility in Business and chair of the Department of Legal Studies and Business Ethics; June 2. He had taught at Wharton since 1974. Along with his professorship, he had served as the director of the Zicklin Center for Business Ethics Research (1997-2000), vice dean of the Wharton undergraduate division (2000-2003). He co-wrote (with Wharton colleague Dr. Thomas Donaldson) Ties that Bind: A Social Contract Approach to Business Ethics; he wrote or edited many other articles and books. Dr. Dunfee was an editorial-review board member for six academic journals and a former president of both the Academy of Legal Studies in Business and the Society for Business Ethics. His son is John W. Dunfee C’93.
Dr. Myron W. Frederic. See Class of 1964.
Rev. Frederic F. Guyott III. See Class of 1969.
Dr. Frederick G. Kempin Jr. See Class of 1944.
Dr. Robert M. Kenney, Naples, N.Y., emeritus professor and past chief of reproductive studies in the Department of Clinical Studies at the New Bolton Center of Penn Veterinary Medicine; May 27. He joined Penn as an associate professor in 1969. A diplomate of the American College of Theriogenologists, he was one of the founders of what is now the Society for Theriogenology. He was known for his research expertise in equine fertility and reproduction, and lectured and published extensively. He was a member of the Society for the Study of Reproduction and the American Association of Equine Practitioners. In 1990 Dr. Kenney was one of the first 12 inductees into the Equine Research Hall of Fame. He received several other honors, including a special diploma and the Professor Ladilai Bielanski Award from the Academy of Agriculture in Krakow, Poland, in 1986; the Bartlett Award of the Society for Theriogenology in 1991; and the distinguished-educator award of the Society for the Study of Reproduction and the American Association of Equine Practitioners in 2004. A scholarship fund in his name has been established at Penn. His sons are Dr. Daniel G. Kenney C’83 V’89 and Dr. Donald F. Kenney V’86.
Helen F. Jarrett Linwood. See Class of 1941.
Bruce E. Montgomery, Philadelphia, retired director of the Penn Glee Club and former director or music director of the Mask & Wig Club, the University Band, and the Penn Players; June 21. Fondly known as Monty, he began his career at Penn in 1950 as an assistant director of the Cultural Olympics. During the Korean War he served in the 45th infantry division of the U.S. Army and entertained the troops in Japan before returning to his job at the University. He subsequently created two works based on his wartime experience: Why Me?, a musical (1967), and Herodotus Fragments, which was premiered by the Philadelphia Orchestra in 1970. In 1955 he spent a year as assistant to Penn’s first director of public relations, Donald T. Sheehan, before being appointed director of extracurricular musical activities by President Dr. Gaylord Harnwell Hon’53 in 1956. For the next 44 years, until his retirement in 2000, he wrote, directed, choreographed, and conducted Glee Club shows on many worldwide tours, which he chronicled in a recent memoir, Brothers, Sing On: My Half-Century Around the World with the Penn Glee Club (Penn Press, 2005). “Monty taught me not to be afraid to perform in Israel or China,” recalled Philadelphia actor Jeff Coon C’93, president of the Glee Club (1990-91). “If it were not for him, I wouldn’t have had the courage to be an actor good enough to support my family with my art. He showed me life is full of opportunities.” In 1971 Monty helped to create the Penn Singers, a student light-opera and musical-theater company, which he directed until his death. One of America’s leading authorities on Gilbert and Sullivan, he was the artistic director of the Gilbert & Sullivan Players of Philadelphia, which was founded by his father, for over three decades after his father’s death in 1955. Under his guidance the group produced more than 65 shows. He directed and performed leading comedic roles in each of the 14 Gilbert and Sullivan operas, and he served as stage director for the Gilbert & Sullivan Society of Chester County (1987-2000). He was a longtime member of the Orpheus Club, where he was also named an honorary member for his appearances as guest conductor. He served on the boards of the Theodore H. Presser Foundation and the Edwin B. Garrigues Foundation. His works have been performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia, and many other musical groups. The music he wrote for Gilbert and Sullivan’s Thespis in the 1950s, for which most of Sullivan’s original score was lost, was produced on several occasions, including the International Gilbert and Sullivan Festival in the U.K. in 2000. After his 1963 Irish folk opera, Spindrift, was performed by the Penn Players, he wrote the music and lyrics for a hit 1964 off-Broadway show, The Amorous Flea, which was acclaimed by New York critics. In 2005 Monty received an honorary doctorate degree from his alma mater, Bethany College, in Lindsborg, Kan. He was named “Man of the Year” by the Friars Club of Philadelphia in 2006. In honor of his service to Penn, the studio theater at Penn’s Annenberg Center was renamed the Bruce Montgomery Theatre: its newly renovated theater’s gala celebration on May 10, commemorated by live performances of his original compositions, was his last public appearance. At the time of his death, the very day after his 81st birthday, Monty was looking forward to directing a Gilbert and Sullivan performance at a benefit this autumn. “A colorful and vibrant man until the very end, he was beloved by the countless performers and audience members whose lives he touched over a long and distinguished career,” recalled Brendan O’Brien C’87, Glee Club president (1986-87). An endowment fund for the Glee Club has been established in his memory. [See “Monty in Full,” May|June 2000 Gazette]
Dr. Morton E. Schwab. See Class of 1937.
Dr. Robert L. Shayon, Philadelphia, emeritus professor at the Annenberg School for Communication; June 28. Early in his career he was a writer, producer, and director for WOR-Mutual in New York and the CBS Radio Network, where he worked with Edward R. Murrow, producing the award-winning documentaries Operation Crossroads (1946) and The Eagles Brood (1947). He created the “You Are There” radio series, for which he won a Peabody Award. After being blacklisted in the early 1950s, he became the first television critic for The Christian Science Monitor and spent more than 20 years as television critic for Saturday Review magazine. He joined Annenberg’s faculty at its opening in 1965; after his retirement in 1990, an annual lecture series and an endowed chair were established in his honor. He wrote several books, including Television and Our Children (1951), the first analysis of the subject; Open to Criticism, a collection of his media columns; and a memoir, Odyssey in Prime Time (2001). His daughters are Diana R. Shayon CW’71 WG’75 and Sheila Shayon CW’72.

 


Profiles : Events : Notes : Obituaries

NOTIFICATIONS

Please send notifications of deaths of alumni directly to: Alumni Records, University of Pennsylvania, 3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
record@ben.dev.upenn.edu

Newspaper obits are appreciated.

 

     
  ©2008 The Pennsylvania Gazette
Last modified 11/04/08