If you've been thinking about learning a new sport, pastime or lifesaving skill, now is the time to act. Registration is now under way for the Penn Recreation Department's fall instructional programs, with classes available in the following areas:
- AEROBICS: Classes available in all the major categories -- step, multi-impact, power, step and sculpt, interval training, ultimate conditioning, urban jam and aerobox. 12-week programs meet at various times throughout the week in Studio I, Hutchinson Gym, 220 S. 33rd St., and at the Gimbel Gym basketball court, 37th and Walnut streets; call the Recreation Department Hotline at 898-6100 for exact days and times. Fee $100, faculty/staff $90, students $55. Free demo week Sept. 14-19.
- BALLROOM DANCING: Championship dancer Carolyn Rollin teaches the basics of the standard ballroom repertoire, including the fox trot, waltz, jitterbug and tango, in this beginners' course. Wednesdays, 7:30 to 8:45 p.m., from Oct. 7 through Oct. 28 in Studio I, Hutchinson Gym. Fee $70, faculty/staff $45, students $20. A partner is required.
- CPR TRAINING: A one-day class that teaches the skills needed for American Heart Association CPR certification. Saturdays, 12:30 to 5 p.m. in the Hutchinson Gym classroom; call the Recreation Department Hotline for course dates. Fee $50, students $30.
- GOLF: Golf Team Head Coach Francis Vaughn leads a four-week course on the basics. Wednesdays, noon to 1 p.m., from Sept. 30 through Oct. 21 at Hill Field, 34th and Walnut streets. Fee $100, faculty/staff $75, students $50. Equipment provided.
- JAZZ DANCE: Donald Lunsford, former principal with Philadanco and artistic director of its apprentice group "Danco II," offers beginning, intermediate, and composite beginner/intermediate courses in this eclectic dance idiom. Beginner classes meet Thursdays, 3 to 4:30 p.m., from Oct. 1 through Nov. 19; composite classes, Saturdays, 12:30 to 2 p.m., from Sept. 26 through Nov. 21 (no class Oct. 17); intermediate classes, Fridays, 2-3:30 p.m., from Oct. 2 through Nov. 20. All classes meet in Studio I, Hutchinson Gym. Fee $100, faculty/staff $75, students $45.
- JITTERBUG/SWING DANCING: Dance to the music of the Big Band era and the '50s as you learn all the moves of this popular dance style. Instructor: Carolyn Rollin. Wednesdays, 8:45 to 10 p.m., from Oct. 7 through Oct. 28 in Studio I, Hutchinson Gym. Fee $70, faculty/staff $45, students $20. A partner is required.
- MODERN DANCE: Kristin Narcowich of the Ausdruckstanz Dance Theater leads a class in the fundamentals of modern dance, grounded in the Limon and Butoh techniques. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7:30 to 9 p.m., from Sept. 22 through Nov. 29 in Studio I, Hutchinson Gym. Fee $100, faculty/staff $75, students $45.
- NON-CONTACT BOXING: This course emphasizes cardiovascular development as well as boxing techniques. Instructor: Ron Aurit, former Golden Glove and collegiate champion. Thursdays, 7 to 8 p.m., from Oct. 1 through Dec. 3 in Studio II, Hutchinson Gym. Fee $100, faculty/staff $80, students $40. Equipment required; approx. cost $55.
- ROWING: A course in basic rowing technique led by Penn Lightweight Rowing Coach Marc Massey (C'93). Tuesdays, 7 to 8 p.m., from Oct. 6 to Oct. 27 in the Hutchinson Gym crew tanks. Fee $70, faculty/staff $50, students $30.
- SCUBA: This course teaches the basic skills needed to dive safely in open water and introduces students to a wide variety of diving activities. Mondays, 6 to 9:30 p.m., from Sept. 28 through Nov. 9 in Hutchinson Pool. Fee $185, faculty/staff/students $160. Additional equipment required; approx. cost $290-$390.
- SELF DEFENSE: Fourth-degree black belt H. W. Abramson, leader of the Penn Ki-Aikido Club, teaches unarmed self-defense; strength, speed and skill not required. Tuesdays, 6 to 8 p.m., from Oct. 6 through Nov. 10 in the basement mat area of Hutchinson Gym. Fee $100, faculty/staff $75, students $50.
- SPINNING: An intense, fast-paced 45-minute workout on stationary bicycles. Classes meet throughout the week in Studio II, Hutcinson Gym; call the Recreation Department Hotline for exact times. Fees: 10 sessions $60, faculty/staff $50, students $40; 15 sessions $75, faculty/staff $65, students $55. Free demo week Sept. 14-19.
- SWIMMING: Beginners, advanced beginners and intermediate courses available. Saturdays, 11 a.m. to noon, from Sept. 19 through Dec. 5 (no class Oct. 17) in Hutchinson Pool. Fee $100, faculty/staff $85, students $50.
- SQUASH: A course for the utter novice, led by Assistant Squash Coach Titus Cranch, teaches you everything you need to know to play the game. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7 to 8 p.m., from Oct. 6 through Nov. 5 at Ringe Squash Courts, between Hutchinson Gym and Franklin Field on 33rd St. Fee $80, faculty/staff $55, students $30.
- TENNIS: Beginning courses teach basic racquet skills; intermediate courses add footwork and point strategies and introduce singles and doubles play. Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays. Beginner courses meet from 11 a.m. to noon; intermediate courses meet from noon to 1 p.m. at the Lott Tennis Courts, 33rd St. below Walnut. Eight-course sessions begin Sept. 28, Sept. 29, Nov. 2 and Nov. 3. Fee $50, students $25.
- WATER SAFETY INSTRUCTOR TRAINING: For American Red Cross certification. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., from Oct. 1 through Nov. 17 in Hutchinson Pool. Course fee $50, students $25; fees for required books (approx.) $115.
- YOGA: Beginning and intermediate courses in the I.K.S. Iyengar method, led by Joan White. Beginning courses meet Mondays and Wednesdays, 12:30 to 1:45 p.m., from Sept. 14 through Nov. 18 (no class Oct. 19); intermediate courses meet Tuesdays and Thursdays, noon to 1:15 p.m., from Sept. 15 through Nov. 19. All classes held in Studio I, Hutchinson Gym. Fee $115, faculty/staff $90,. students $55.
The Recreation Department also offers gymnastics and swimming classes for children. For complete information about Penn Recreation programs, call 898-6100.
Front page for this issue | Pennsylvania Current home page | What's On
Originally published on September 3, 1998