The Health System Department of Health and Disease Management is offering courses open to faculty and staff.
- WEIGHT CONTROL: Topics include behavior management, healthy eating, and exercise guidelines. Tuesday, Oct. 20, noon to 12:50 p.m., Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Founders Building, Plaza A.
- NUTRITION AND DISEASE PREVENTION: Reducing the risk of developing heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. Thursday, Nov. 5, noon to 12:50 p.m., Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Founders Building, Plaza A.
- STRESS MANAGEMENT 101: How to identify stress, stressors, and stress symptoms along with practical ways to cope with stress. Wednesday, Oct. 14, noon to 12:50 p.m., Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Founders Building, Plaza B.
- STRESS BREAK: Take Five! No lecture, just 40 minutes of relaxation activities.Friday, Oct. 23, noon to 12:40 p.m., Presbyterian Medical Center, Wright-Saunders Bldg., Administration Medical Conference Room. Questions? Contact Maureen Poirier, Health and Disease Management, Program Manager, at 614-1801 or via e-mail.
- CARBON MONOXIDE SCREENINGS: Attend one of the following free screenings to have your carbon monoxide level tested. No registration necessary. Tuesday, Sept. 22, noon to 1:30 p.m., Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania Cafeteria.
Tuesday, Oct. 6,1998, noon to 1:30 p.m. Presbyterian Medical Center Cafeteria.
The above courses are free of charge.
- THE PENN QUIT SMOKING PROGRAM: Free informational sessions are available to learn about the group program and the new individual counseling program. Both programs offer the latest in smoking cessation techniques, including the nicotine patch, nicotine gum, nicotine nasal spray and medication which reduces nicotine craving. UPHS physicians, advanced practice nurses and respiratory therapists lead the weekly meetings.
Free Informational Sessions, Friday, Oct. 9, noon to 1:30 p.m., Presbyterian Medical Center, Wright-Saunders Bldg., Administraton Conference Room A.
Tuesday, Sept. 22, 1998, 5:30 to 7 p.m., Penn at Radnor, Room 206.
The Penn Quit Smoking Group Program is discounted to $75 for UPHS employees, Penn employees and Penn students. The program includes eight sessions over two months. The Penn Quit Smoking Individual Counseling Program is discounted to $40 a session. The program includes four 30 minute sessions over two months. Space is limited, so please register early by calling 1-800-789-PENN. For questions, please contact Maureen Poirier, Health and Disease Management Program Manager, at 614-1801 or via e-mail.
Front page for this issue | Pennsylvania Current home page
Originally published on September 17, 1998